PDA

View Full Version : Time to fill in the corners?

Jamesie
05-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Probably not - and I'm most likely just getting carried away with attendances this season and tomorrow's sell out - but in the longer term if we were to reach sustained attendances of 17k-18k a stateable business case may just start to exist at least filling a couple of the corners. I can see Albion Road causing logistical problems if we ever tried to do this between the West and North stands.

J-C
05-01-2017, 10:36 AM
They could use the corners for standing areas.

Slavers
05-01-2017, 10:38 AM
I'd rather see us add a third tear to the west stand if we are going to expand the stadium.

MalongaMayhem
05-01-2017, 10:39 AM
we should call it the crazy corner and just have it bouncing for 90 mins straight :flag::flag::flag::flag:

WhileTheChief..
05-01-2017, 10:40 AM
^^Agree.

NE and SE corners for safe standing, normal seating for the NW corner and a big TV in between the West and FF.

Maybe one day.

GreenCastle
05-01-2017, 10:41 AM
While it would make the stadium look even better.

The club must focus on the playing side.

If we are doing well the crowds should continue to increase and we should be looking st filling the home stands every week.

The club still need to sort the speakers and food at the stadium as after numerous moans it's still terrible.

I liked the idea of building something for the community in the corners or a hotel that will make people stay in the area longer and improve the areas surrounding the stadium.

RoYO!
05-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Time to get the artists impressions dusted off! I'd be happy even just with the North-east. In the north-west corner I'd put in a permanent studio for tv broadcast- I'd also approach the broadcasters themselves to part fund it rather than them having to transport and build their green studio tent every time. Could be used as a private hospitality area on non TV games?

Waxy
05-01-2017, 10:45 AM
While it would make the stadium look even better.

The club must focus on the playing side.

If we are doing well the crowds should continue to increase and we should be looking st filling the home stands every week.

The club still need to sort the speakers and food at the stadium as after numerous moans it's still terrible.

I liked the idea of building something for the community in the corners or a hotel that will make people stay in the area longer and improve the areas surrounding the stadium.
Stuff that. Fill in the corners with a standing section. It will happen.

MalongaMayhem
05-01-2017, 10:47 AM
if there is a high demand of supporters intrested we could have two ultra groups in the corners to create a cauldron of noise:gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa:

Hibbyradge
05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
I don't think it's a wise use of of our limited resources to increase capacity because we've sold a lot of tickets for one game.

It's not even sold out for Friday's game.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Almost every club occasionally gets a full house, it doesn't mean they need to expand the stadium.

Let's just wait until we have sustained high attendances before doing anything stupid.

MalongaMayhem
05-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Almost every club occasionally gets a full house, it doesn't mean they need to expand the stadium.

Let's just wait until we have sustained high attendances before doing anything stupid.

i disagree i think if we win tomorrow i can see a sell out for the majority of the games this season where is your enthusiasm keekaboo come on man :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
05-01-2017, 10:57 AM
i disagree i think if we win tomorrow i can see a sell out for the majority of the games this season where is your enthusiasm keekaboo come on man :thumbsup:

Being enthusiastic and losing your grasp on reality are not the same thing. 😉

MalongaMayhem
05-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Being enthusiastic and losing your grasp on reality are not the same thing. 😉

all im saying is that a win tonight could turn ER into a fortress that we desire

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 10:59 AM

I'm off sick, having damaged two discs in my spine, so I've lost quite a lot of my enthusiasm.

Expect even more grumpy comments over the next few days as my painkillers start to wear off :wink:

Off the bar
05-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Where's the helicopter pad going to go if we fill the corners?

MalongaMayhem
05-01-2017, 11:02 AM
hope all is okay will u be attending tomorrow

AgentDaleCooper
05-01-2017, 11:05 AM

pretty fun to think about though :aok:

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 11:06 AM
hope all is okay will u be attending tomorrow

Sadly not, as it would mean taking a flight, which I currently can't do.

Shame really, as this is my favourite time of year for watching games.

Billy Whizz
05-01-2017, 11:06 AM

I'd rather we put a roof on the stadium, keep it nice and war for for families

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 11:07 AM
pretty fun to think about though :aok:

True. It's nice to have a bit more of a positive vibe for a change.

I just hope we don't ruin it by losing...

:wink:

superfurryhibby
05-01-2017, 11:09 AM

I think we have sold out the stadium around about twice since the East was built, so on that basis no.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Hibs have just released plans for a new anything-goes standing area, to be located in the north east corner.

It's going to be based on this one in Poland

http://www.leicestertillidie.com/uploads/5/7/1/0/5710337/4920422_orig.jpg

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Another view, filled with Hibbies arrested after the cup final...

That's BlackpoolHibs in the cream jacket, about fourth from the right.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3641201510_469cdc639c_o.jpg

we are hibs
05-01-2017, 11:14 AM
I there not a way the club could hire temporary stands for in the corners for certain games? Like Hamilton have but for in the corner?

Hibbyradge
05-01-2017, 11:28 AM
all im saying is that a win tonight could turn ER into a fortress that we desire

I understand what you're saying, but it won't happen on the way you envisage.

To be fair, we're already getting very decent home attendances.

Our next home game is against Ayr on 4 Feb so maybe there's an element of folk are getting their January Hibs fix tomorrow night boosting the crowd. However, I'll be very impressed if we match the attendance we achieved when we played them in September - 15056.

Dr Jimmy
05-01-2017, 11:33 AM
The time to fill in the corners is when we have 1K-2K fans who can't get tickets as the home end is consistently sold out or we have 17K season ticket holders. Until that happens spend the money on the playing side.

Having said that the corners filled in would look superb!

Hibernia&Alba
05-01-2017, 11:35 AM
In an ideal world it would be great, but how much would it cost, and how often would the stadium be full?

Onceinawhile
05-01-2017, 11:37 AM
It's never going to happen. Albion Road takes out the NW corner and there's no chance that the NE or SE would get through planning permission without hundreds of complaints from the new residents behind the east.

I'd heard we might be selling the NE patch of land anyway.

Nicho87
05-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Dempster maybe needs to speak with budge as if there wanting to ground share while their shed gets an upgrade, hearts 400,000 will defo need the corners filled in.

Brightside
05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
never ever going to happen.

nellio
05-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Crazy talk, where's the money coming from?? Would much rather invest in the team currently if money is available. Then when we get back up if and only if we sell out consistently every game should we consider filling the corners in.

Mikey09
05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Gonna be a bit harsh here and say if Utd win tomorrow night half the punters going won't come back. We have some very fickle fans.

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
We are living in a golden age so far as attendances go .... never in my time as a match going Hibs fan which started in 1975 have Hibs broken a 15,000 average for a season that I'm aware of, if they have I doubt it was more than 2 seasons during that time.

It was bad enough in the 70s and 80s rattling around in a stadium capable of holding 30 to 40 thousand and then after the 90s having a 20,000 capacity stadium half full most Saturdays ..... If we managed a 10 year period hitting over 15,000 every week then a bigger stadium would be worth considering, but certainly not just now on the back of a few big crowds.

I would rather Hibs filled the corners with buildings and extended the roofs of the stands to fully enclose the stadium which would hold in the atmosphere ..... it would be a fantastic stadium if that was done.

SlickShoes
05-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Gonna be a bit harsh here and say if Utd win tomorrow night half the punters going won't come back. We have some very fickle fans.

So we will drop from 15000 to 7500 fans on the back of one game?

Good one.

Hibbyradge
05-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Good one.

I took it that he meant half the punters who don't go regularly but have turned out for tomorrow's game.

GreenLake
05-01-2017, 12:20 PM
We are living in a golden age so far as attendances go .... never in my time as a match going Hibs fan which started in 1975 have Hibs broken a 15,000 average for a season that I'm aware of, if they have I doubt it was more than 2 seasons during that time.

It was bad enough in the 70s and 80s rattling around in a stadium capable of holding 30 to 40 thousand and then after the 90s having a 20,000 capacity stadium half full most Saturdays ..... If we managed a 10 year period hitting over 15,000 every week then a bigger stadium would be worth considering, but certainly not just now on the back of a few big crowds.

I would rather Hibs filled the corners with buildings and extended the roofs of the stands to fully enclose the stadium which would hold in the atmosphere ..... it would be a fantastic stadium if that was done.

A retractable roof would be brilliant but it isn't possible to soak local tax payers for the cost of a stadium like in the US.

SlickShoes
05-01-2017, 12:38 PM
I took it that he meant half the punters who don't go regularly but have turned out for tomorrow's game.

That's probably likely to happen anyway due to the christmas holidays being properly over as everyone sinks back in to January and we start playing teams that are even worse to watch than UTD.

green day
05-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Yep, 100%

Edina Erin
05-01-2017, 01:11 PM
I thought there were plans to build a Hotel between the FF and the East?
When they were discussions about a FF statue, this spot was immediately dismissed ( despite the artist impression) as the Board indicated that there were plans for this space.
This could be linked into the plan to develop the health centre in the FF. The health centre and a hotel could be attractive revenue streams from assets that are unused the majority of time.

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2017, 01:14 PM
A retractable roof would be brilliant but it isn't possible to soak local tax payers for the cost of a stadium like in the US.

I didn't mean a roof that covers the pitch mate, I just meant extend the roofs of the stands by a few metres each so that they are closer to the touchlines ... with buildings in the corners it would make the stadium much more intimate and hugely improve the atmosphere :greengrin

DickieDastardly
05-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Yep, 100%
+2

WhileTheChief..
05-01-2017, 01:40 PM
never ever going to happen.

Just a bit of fun, no harm in dreaming whilst the feel good factor is strong.

I thought winning the Sc Cup was never ever going to happen :wink:

southern hibby
05-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Are we playing tonight ( I think not)

GGTTH

The Modfather
05-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Some folk never miss a chance to put the boot into the fans. If it's not swathes disappearing if we get beat it's posts on other threads talking about how negative the fans might be.

You wouldn't think we are paying SPL prices for a 3rd season in a row for this dire league. Have record season ticket sales, and are on course for a sell out for our next game.

simple
05-01-2017, 04:48 PM
I would first fill in the west/north with permanent tv studio and maybe some corporate boxes, the east/north with a hotel with some seating in the lower corner and some rooms with a pitch view.

As for the away ends, I would leave it as it is until
It was absolutely necessary.

I can but dream!!

scoopyboy
05-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Never really appreciated it until I watched the Cup Final DVD but the area of land between the FF and the East is really big.

Something could be done in this corner easily without upsetting residents.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Never really appreciated it until I watched the Cup Final DVD but the area of land between the FF and the East is really big.

:agree:

We should build a hotel, like they did at Tynecastle in 2008

SteveHFC
05-01-2017, 05:23 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/szu55k.png

From a old thread on here a few years ago.

Jamesie
05-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Was there not something said a couple of years ago about the club having plans for this area (plans that were more than just a staff car park on match days?) I agree - it's a sizeable area.

Speaking of land around the stadium, even now I am still annoyed by the whole Lochend Butterfly fiasco - a lot could have been done with that site.

WhileTheChief..
05-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Pretty sure that all the stands were built with the corners in mind in case they were needed in future.

Petrie also said another tier could go on the west. There was talk about it when Scotland were trying to get the Euros a few years back. Capacity could go up to 27k approx from memory.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 05:58 PM
-photo removed-

From a old thread on here a few years ago.

The problem with that is the north-west and south east corners are build on top of existing roads and partially on houses. That's the reason each stand has a cutaway section.

Only two corners have the space to be filled in.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Pretty sure that all the stands were built with the corners in mind in case they were needed in future.

Petrie also said another tier could go on the west. There was talk about it when Scotland were trying to get the Euros a few years back. Capacity could go up to 27k approx from memory.

It was actually the East, before it was built. The plan was to have an upper tier that would be removed after the championships were over and houses then built at the back.

The houses have been now been built, so that option isn't there any more.

Scouse Hibee
05-01-2017, 08:18 PM
I there not a way the club could hire temporary stands for in the corners for certain games? Like Hamilton have but for in the corner?

We can'talk even fill the stands we have so suggesting hiring temporary stands is just ridiculous.

McD
05-01-2017, 08:21 PM
The problem with that is the north-west and south east corners are build on top of existing roads and partially on houses. That's the reason each stand has a cutaway section.

Only two corners have the space to be filled in.

I wonder (no expertise in this area at all) if the north west corner could be built over the road. I would have thought the road was far enough back from the pitch that the rake of the seating area would allow vehicles to pass underneath.

Mikey09
06-01-2017, 12:48 AM

Good one.

Meant half the punters who don't normally go. Worded it wrong.

Baader
06-01-2017, 01:23 AM
Need a good few consistent seasons of selling out before that will ever happen... So don't think it ever will.

We have a fantastic stadium as is which, sadly, doesn't need expansion. Any money available should be spent on the playing staff.

basehibby
06-01-2017, 01:50 AM
No way is it time to spend more money on facilities which are already in great shape - it's time to invest in the team, get promoted, consolidate and build a great FOOTBALL TEAM fit to win more trophies.

06-01-2017, 01:58 AM
Don't forget we have to have the circular turrets in the corner just like the san siro. We already have paolewis maldini at left back.

hfc rd
06-01-2017, 02:01 AM
No way is it time to spend more money on facilities which are already in great shape - it's time to invest in the team, get promoted, consolidate and build a great FOOTBALL TEAM fit to win more trophies.

100% this!

However if their was something that needed to get fixed about our ground, it's that awful PA system. Then again, that's s discussion for another day.

Ultrabee1-0
06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
I'd rather we put a roof on the stadium, keep it nice and war for for families

How would a roof keep you warm if there is 4 corners getting wind blasted through them?

Pete
06-01-2017, 04:11 AM
Our ground is very similar to what the old new Ibrox used to look like.

Doing it the the way they have with a lower tier only isn't beyond the realm of impossibility in any of our corners.

They recognised the need to enclose the ground as it leads to a better atmosphere.

Greenworld
06-01-2017, 06:59 AM
It may happen at the FF end that would make sense linking the East and west stands

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
06-01-2017, 07:10 AM
We have priorities such as promotion, and re-establishing ourselves securely in the top division, and winning another cup or two in the coming years...that are far more important than spending on our stadium. It's a no from me.

lucky
06-01-2017, 08:47 AM
We don't sell out many games just now so why make the stadium bigger? The ground is fine. Any cash should be spent on the team

Waxy
06-01-2017, 08:57 AM
If we had filled in the NE corner with a safe standing area tonights match wouldnt be a sell out, more peole would get to see the match and it would be paying for itself plus add loads to the atmosphere.Thats much more important than building hotels in our ground for the priveliged.

we are hibs
06-01-2017, 10:40 AM
We can'talk even fill the stands we have so suggesting hiring temporary stands is just ridiculous.

Erm, that's why I said hiring for CERTAIN games.

Keith_M
06-01-2017, 11:09 AM
I wonder (no expertise in this area at all) if the north west corner could be built over the road. I would have thought the road was far enough back from the pitch that the rake of the seating area would allow vehicles to pass underneath.

They certainly have such a construction at a couple of grounds, e.g. Villa Park, but if you look at the photo posted earlier, it would mean knocking down part of the tenement building as well.

I think any potential gain in capacity would be considered too costly.

CropleyWasGod
06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
They certainly have such a construction at a couple of grounds, e.g. Villa Park, but if you look at the photo posted earlier, it would mean knocking down part of the tenement building as well.

I think any potential gain in capacity would be considered too costly.

... and, probably, the Ticket Office, which doesn't belong to us.

Ozyhibby
06-01-2017, 11:52 AM
If we had filled in the NE corner with a safe standing area tonights match wouldnt be a sell out, more peole would get to see the match and it would be paying for itself plus add loads to the atmosphere.Thats much more important than building hotels in our ground for the priveliged.

Are hotels for the privileged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
06-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Was thee not a plan kicking about for some sort of game changer partnership with the NHS to build a health centre between the FF and the East?

RoYO!
06-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Was thee not a plan kicking about for some sort of game changer partnership with the NHS to build a health centre between the FF and the East?

Didn't know if they were just planning on utilising more space in the FF. Even just the boards in the corners helped a lot so I'd be happy to see anything more permanent happening in those parts of the ground.

Peevemor
06-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Are hotels for the privileged?

The ones surrounded by a football stadium, a cemetery and an industral estate are. :agree:

Michael
06-01-2017, 12:23 PM
We don't need more seats, but filling the gaps to keep the atmosphere inside the ground could be affordable and worthwhile.

StevieT
06-01-2017, 12:50 PM

That problem only applies to this side of the city

NAE NOOKIE
06-01-2017, 12:53 PM

I don't think anybody is suggesting work should be done on the stadium at the expense of the team, not any more. But filling in the corners should always be on the agenda for Easter Road, even if that's as a back burner issue for the foreseeable future.

We do not need seats in the corners .... but there's nothing wrong with looking at ways to fill them in in which would be cost effective, something like an hotel in the FF / East corner being a case in point or even flats or the like in the south / west corner.

The only thing I would say if we were to do that is that the end walls of any structure would have to form the end walls of the stands they are built between .... nothing will look worse than just bunging up some random building, they would have to be done in a way that improves the atmosphere and is sympathetic to the flow of the stadium.

Oscar T Grouch
06-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Erm, that's why I said hiring for CERTAIN games.

The logistics make it impossible to hire a temp stand for 1 or 2 games. These stands take a lot of labour to put up and secure. They're usually put in place for a number of games to make it financially feasible.

On the subject of this thread, the only time Hibs should even think about expanding the stadium is when we're sitting with a healthy waiting list for ST. If the demand is there for a whole season of games and not just one or two we should look into it. We've spent to many years sacrificing the good of the first team to update the stadium and facilities. It's time to sit back enjoy the ground and watch the other teams struggle to raise funds to update their facilities. Even those who screwed a lot of creditors in administration events.

Keith_M
06-01-2017, 04:06 PM

You're right, I hadn't noticed that.

So for an extra 1.5-2k seats, we'd have to buy a tenement building with 8 flats in it (cost over 1M) then the ticket office (cost unknown)... and then knock them down (more money). Then the club would have to pay for a newly re-routed road plus the cost of building the new corner stand and adapting the current stand to fill in the cutaway section

Surely it would be cheaper just to build a new stadium elsewhere :wink:

chippy
06-01-2017, 05:55 PM
If anything permanent is built on the corners it would be a folly to not put corner stands there. The club could be about to grow again. We live in a huge city with a large population around the city. Let's not put something there that causes is not to be able to expand the seating when it's needed. With a bit of good design and imagination the corners could each contain a stand and underneath it there could be all sorts of facilities. The stands themselves could be constructed in such a way that if they are not being used for a match the pitch facing corners are blank or contain a huge badge or even screen. When needed they could be used for big games against the old firm and hearts or Scotland games or cup semis. With Hearts getting good crowds too we could shift more sales to them and the of when they visit too. Let's not limit ourselves who would have thought we'd see these crowds in our 3rd season on the 2nd tier

BullsCloseHibs
06-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Hibs have just released plans for a new anything-goes standing area, to be located in the north east corner.

It's going to be based on this one in Poland

http://www.leicestertillidie.com/uploads/5/7/1/0/5710337/4920422_orig.jpg

What's not to like 🔫

houstonhibbee
06-01-2017, 06:14 PM
If anything permanent is built on the corners it would be a folly to not put corner stands there. The club could be about to grow again. We live in a huge city with a large population around the city. Let's not put something there that causes is not to be able to expand the seating when it's needed. With a bit of good design and imagination the corners could each contain a stand and underneath it there could be all sorts of facilities. The stands themselves could be constructed in such a way that if they are not being used for a match the pitch facing corners are blank or contain a huge badge or even screen. When needed they could be used for big games against the old firm and hearts or Scotland games or cup semis. With Hearts getting good crowds too we could shift more sales to them and the of when they visit too. Let's not limit ourselves who would have thought we'd see these crowds in our 3rd season on the 2nd tier
:top marks