PDA

View Full Version : Best you've seen...

Mikey09
05-01-2017, 01:23 AM
Who's the best player you've seen for the away team at Easter Road?

I'm gonna say Gazza. Cocky, arrogant, talented, could take stick and laugh it off. Oh... And what a player! Tin hat on... :duck:

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Henrik Larsson by a country mile.........

SteveHFC
05-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Did Rooney not play for Everton against us before he was well known?

Itsnoteasy
05-01-2017, 01:41 AM
Gazza. Best player I ever seen. Went to Ibrox to see him when he was at Spurs, different planet.

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 01:53 AM
I didn't see him play at Easter Road but Zoltan Varga was I think the best player I ever seen play in Scotland, watched him at Pittodrie with my Dad......

SRHibs
05-01-2017, 01:54 AM
There's been some absolute class in the SPL to be fair. Gattuso, Larsson, Van Bronckhorst, De Boer, Gascoigne, Laudrup, Christian Nade etc. Would have to go with Larsson though.

Sweet Left Peg
05-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Jurgen Klinsmann

Alex Trager
05-01-2017, 02:52 AM
Got to be Skacel for me

Wellbankhibby
05-01-2017, 02:53 AM
Who's the best player you've seen for the away team at Easter Road?

I'm gonna say Gazza. Cocky, arrogant, talented, could take stick and laugh it off. Oh... And what a player! Tin hat on... :duck:

Best player by a mile was George Best he was Brilliant even at the low point of his career.

Is It On....
05-01-2017, 02:57 AM
There's been some absolute class in the SPL to be fair. Gattuso, Larsson, Van Bronckhorst, De Boer, Gascoigne, Laudrup, Christian Nade etc. Would have to go with Larsson though.

You missed out Hans Eskilsson who provided an unforgettable piece of "genius" at Easter Road.

Is It On....
05-01-2017, 03:06 AM
Henrik Larsson by a country mile.........

His partner in crime, Moravcik, who was 33 when he signed was also excellent but for me the best is Laudrup.

GreenLake
05-01-2017, 03:09 AM
Jose Altafini, sometimes called Mazzola who played for Juventus against us in 1974

basehibby
05-01-2017, 03:22 AM

:confused:

West lower
05-01-2017, 03:25 AM
Jimmy Johnstone. Unplayable on his day.

Dashing Bob S
05-01-2017, 04:38 AM
None of the above mentioned could lace Phil Stamp's boots.

Pete
05-01-2017, 04:52 AM
The obvious answer is Gascoigne.

However, one out of left field is the young Paul McStay.

spike220
05-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Henrik Larsson

Ozyhibby
05-01-2017, 05:41 AM
Gazza for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WellingtonHibby
05-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Did Messi not turn out for barca against us?

Tom Hart RIP
05-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Jose Altafini, sometimes called Mazzola who played for Juventus against us in 1974

Agreed. I may be wrong but I think he was also on Naples books but had been left at home for the second leg as they thought they had the tie win.

DavieRoy
05-01-2017, 06:32 AM
Laudrup, Gascoigne or Larsson.

The thing is, we would lift our game against quality, proper quality, opposition, sometimes we took a doing but we did okay against Rangers in the 90s at times.

Does Messi count? Barcelona at Murrayfield!!!

Fuzzywuzzy
05-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Loved watching Davie Cooper

Steve20
05-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Gascoigne.

Hibs331875
05-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Jason Cummings.

CentreLine
05-01-2017, 07:14 AM
Billy Bremner that night in 1973 was incredible. Without him Leeds would have taken one hell of a beating.

Ray_
05-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Włodzimierz 'Włodek' Leonard Lubański.

Played against us late 1969 for a friendly against Górnik Zabrze, this was a couple of weeks or so after they had dispatched Rangers from the Cup Winners Cup, winning both legs 3-1.

Lubański was absolutely fantastic that night as the Polish team won 2-1. The match was also noted for Shades debut, clattering in to Peter Cormack , which saw the Hibs talisman being carried off.

Górnik went on to lose the final in a close game against the highly talented Man City, who had players like Colin Bell, Mike Sumerbee & Francis Lee in their line up.

Lubański's stock grew and he was absolutely dominating the 1973 world cup qualifier, when Roy MacFarland put him out of the game for over a year, meaning he missed the 74 world cup. Poland comfortably won the game, 2-0, against big favorites England. Almost instantly that game was dismissed as the media focused on the Wembley, 1-1 game, a few months later and Brian Clough's comments about their "Clown" in goals.

Sadly, although Włodzimierz Lubański returned to the international stage, he wasn't nearly as effective as before [shades of John Brownlie], but it was still a privilege to see such a great player grace the playing surface at ER.

HappyHanlon
05-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Demis Nikolaidis when AEK Athens came to ER

mjhibby
05-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Davie cooper for well in I think was a 2-2 draw at Er. Just outstanding movement and crossed for the well goals. Other one was Russel Lapaty when playing for Falkirk. Still had it in his late thirties. Larson never impressed me but did always seemed to score.

Pete
05-01-2017, 07:27 AM

That's a shout. No matter what you think of him personally he was class.

Stokesy's on fire
05-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Did Messi not turn out for barca against us?

Messi played against Hibernian at Murryfield

05-01-2017, 07:55 AM
David Gray

calumhibee1
05-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Larsson without a doubt. While I would have seen Laudrup I can't really remember him or else I'm sure he'd be up there.

JimBHibees
05-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Billy Bremner that night in 1973 was incredible. Without him Leeds would have taken one hell of a beating.

Best individual performance I have ever seen.

O'Rourke3
05-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Hard one.

Over the last few seasons tends to be goalies making world class saves against us when we are on top. Kevin Cuthbert in the second play off game springs to mind. Jamie MacDonald in the SF for Falkirk and for the Poppy thieves in the LC which ended Fenlon's gig.

Billy Bremner for Leeds though....

steve75
05-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Michael Essien

Ghana were the 'away' team when they beat South Korea at Easter Road in a 2006 World Cup warm up match.

easty
05-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Did Rooney not play for Everton against us before he was well known?

Aye, he scored, I think.

snooky
05-01-2017, 09:15 AM

:agree: Absolutely outstanding performance that night by Bremner.
I'd also add Kenny Dalglish. The day Celtc won the league at ER (I think we lost 1-4). He was immense in midfield that day. He ran the game from start to finish, as I recall.

Update: I think it was the 0-3 game in 1973

Liberal Hibby
05-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Andy Ritchie of Morton.

MalongaMayhem
05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Going to be an electric atmosphere cmon the Hibees

zlatan
05-01-2017, 09:36 AM
In terms of individual brilliance Craig Bellamy was probably one of the best I've seen in a 3-1 defeat at Easter Road. We didn't play badly, he was just incredible.

hibsbollah
05-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Gary Mackay. His prodigious medal haul never made him too arrogant to do valuable anti racism work, too.

chinaman
05-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Gabriel batistuta at wembley v arsenal for "la viola" worth 100 million in today's mad footy world.
Speed,power and courage in abundance.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-01-2017, 09:43 AM
In terms of individual brilliance Craig Bellamy was probably one of the best I've seen in a 3-1 defeat at Easter Road. We didn't play badly, he was just incredible.

Yip. Nobody could get near him. He was outstanding!

Larsson
Laudrup
Gazza
Bellamy
Moravcik

In that order.

allezsauzee
05-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Franck Sauzee

Baader
05-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Probably Brian Laudrup.

Springbank
05-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Not sure about the best, although the Dundee team with Caballero, Ravenelli and Canniggia always had brilliant games against Hibs (4-4 in Mogga's debut comes to mind, then 4-3 Hibs up at Dens, the Zitelli overhead kick winner at Dens etc)

But in terms of the worst I've seen, that's easier to answer. This guy is the worst : played in the 1-0 CIS quarter final game (the 81/19% possession game) for Hearts on route to our 5-1 Hampden win over Lockey, JJ and Billy "Ahve been places an dun hings" Brown.

Step forward Nerijus Barasa

Even his Wiki page has links to Scotsman articles explaining how even Hearts fans (noted for their love of out of shape hammer throwers like Neil Berry and Dave Bowman) even Hearts fans booed this Lithuanian Hammer Thrower out of Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerijus_Barasa

confused
05-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Jim Baxter , Jinky,

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 09:55 AM
The obvious answer is Gascoigne.

However, one out of left field is the young Paul McStay.

I remember as a kid my Grandad taking us to ER to watch a Scotland Under 18 match and McStay was playing, even though he hadn't yet appeared for Celtc's first team.

The guy was a class above every other player on the pitch, pinging 40 yard cross field passes about. He always seemed so relaxed on the ball and did everything with ease.

My Grandad, who had regularly watched the Famous Five and Hearts' Terrible Trio*, said he was one of the best young players he'd ever seen and was destined for the top.

* My Grandad was a Jambo but I still liked him anyway :wink:

ancient hibee
05-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Bremner's display was the best one man effort.

Leith's finest
05-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Scottish players, Martin Buchan, Colin Stein. From abroad, Paul Gasgoine, Henrik Larrson

overdrive
05-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Messi albeit at Murrayfield and I think we were technically the away team. Ripped Hanlon apart.

Probably Laudrup sticking to the actual criteria.

Hiber-nation
05-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Wee Jimmy Johnstone.

Nicho87
05-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Craig Bellamy.

snooky
05-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Messi albeit at Murrayfield and I think we were technically the away team. Ripped Hanlon apart.

Probably Laudrup sticking to the actual criteria.

Let's be fair, Lionel rips EVERYBODY apart. :cool2:

Mikey09
05-01-2017, 11:38 AM

Great shout! What a player... :top marks

Hibernia&Alba
05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
In my time it would be Gazza or Larsson.

Wish I'd seen Dalglish and Jimmy Johnstone.

snooky
05-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Not at ER, but Jim Baxter's class performance when we beat Italy at Hampden in Nov 1965 is worth a mention.
John Greig scoring the late winner from a pass by Slim Jim himself (a Hibby, BTW).

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-01-2017, 12:11 PM
In my time it would be Gazza or Larsson.

Wish I'd seen Dalglish and Jimmy Johnstone.

:agree: Best player I've seen at Easter Road.

My_Wife_Camille
05-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Derek Riordan for Celtic

Also Moravcik and Larrson

Alex Trager
05-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Got to be Skacel for me

Awk!

I had hoped on a bigger amount of fall out from this.

I'd probably say Larson.

Itsnoteasy
05-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Anti Niemmi in the 6-2 game.

Hi Heid Yin
05-01-2017, 12:55 PM

I remember the game and Billy bremner well. I admired that magnificent Leeds team, but I was there to support my beloved Hibs. Bremner was outstanding and I have to date never witnessed another player affect the outcome of a game as much as he did that November night. Wave after wave of Hibs attacks somehow were repelled by Leeds, with Bremner at the centre of all the action. What a night, what a player!

silverhibee
05-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Nakamura
Larrson
K. Boyd

matty_f
05-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Craig Bellamy.

Definitely not the best player I've seen in away side at Easter Road, however definitely one of the best individual performances for Celtc against us, so can totally see why you've named him.

We couldn't cope with him at all that day, he was outstanding.

Best for me would be Laudrup probably.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Surprised nobody's mentioned Benny Brazil. He used to give some outstanding performances for the away teams.

ekhibee
05-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Larsson with out a shadow of a doubt. Hardworking, skillful, team player, and very adaptable. He seemed to be able to turn on a sixpence. Laudrup was a really good player too, but a diver. Gascoigne represented what we hardly see anything of these days, a midfielder who had great close ball skills and could take it for a run from his own penalty box. Before he was injured, I would have put Michael Mols right up there too. Wonderful skill and close control. but Larsson for me.

Smartie
05-01-2017, 01:42 PM
It's funny to see so many say Larsson - for all the amazing things I saw him do on tv, I was never blown away by what I saw Larsson do against Hibs. The same went for the really good Rangers team of the early 90s - we seemed to raise our game and do well against them. I remember seeing Hateley and McCoist tear apart Leeds (the English champions at the time) yet struggle to make an impact when they came up against Gordon Hunter.

I don't really remember the most obvious choices from the past 25-30 years of Scottish football (Laudrup, Gascoigne or Larsson) being that outstanding against us, although tbf I do remember seeing Gascoigne make an 80 yard run to get on the end of a cross and score against us and wonder if this was the same guy that got criticised for his work rate at times. He knocked his pan in for Rangers, had himself in great shape and was a cracking player.

Some of the best individual performances I've seen over the years from opposition players/ partnerships - Rantie for Malmo was incredible, can't believe he hasn't made an impact at a much higher level.

I remember Stokes and Hooper absolutely tearing us a new one at Easter Road when either Calderwood or Fenlon was in charge (I couldn't have imagined Stokes being back and scoring 2 goals in a cup final for us within just a matter of a few years that day).

Brewster and Crawford had a couple of immense games for Dunfermline at Easter Road, I seem to remember them scoring 4 and 5 against us in consecutive games at ER.

I remember Barry Ferguson dragging his more illustrious but generally disinterested team-mates kicking and screaming through a game at ER.

Pierre van Hooijdonk had a really annoying habit of dropping free-kicks in against us. In terms of the good players who played for Celtic around that time, he was the one who most consistently made his mark on us.

There was always bit of grudging respect that went with the misery of watching John Robertson score against us. The number of times he bailed them out through tenacity, perseverance and just sheer killer instinct made you sick. A p***k like Skacel don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breadth as a guy who did so much damage against us, yet still managed to (generally) earn the respect of our fans.

A non-Hibs one but I was at the Motherwell Dundee United cup final when Ally Maxwell managed to concede 3 and break his ribs yet put in one of the most incredible goalkeeping performances you'll ever see. And the first goal I ever saw at Hampden was the Davie Cooper free-kick in the League Cup final that rocketed straight into the top corner - unbelievable goal.

CropleyWasGod
05-01-2017, 01:51 PM
I remember the game and Billy bremner well. I admired that magnificent Leeds team, but I was there to support my beloved Hibs. Bremner was outstanding and I have to date never witnessed another player affect the outcome of a game as much as he did that November night. Wave after wave of Hibs attacks somehow were repelled by Leeds, with Bremner at the centre of all the action. What a night, what a player!

That's the one I would pick. Is it my selective memory, or did he actually play keepie-uppie on his own line in front of the Cowshed?

Coincidentally, I'm reading Crops' biography just now, and am about to start on the chapter that talks about that very game. Still bloody hurts..... :rolleyes:

Is It On....
05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Anti Niemmi in the 6-2 game.

He was amazing that day.

HappyAsHellas
05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
That's the one I would pick. Is it my selective memory, or did he actually play keepie-uppie on his own line in front of the Cowshed?

Coincidentally, I'm reading Crops' biography just now, and am about to start on the chapter that talks about that very game. Still bloody hurts..... :rolleyes:

I remembered it as being at the Dunbar end in the second half? Hurry up and get reading as this will annoy me now. Back on topic, Bremner for best ever individual performance.

northstandhibby
05-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Loved watching Davie Cooper. If only he hadn't been a hun!!!

Glory Glory

Earlydelivery
05-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Garza for me by the proverbial mile .
my favourite non hibs player ever .

WhileTheChief..
05-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Gazza without a doubt.

I still don't think England have had as good a player since him, he was absolutely brilliant.

Whilst Larson and Laudrup were amazing players, they didn't come close.

Di Canio could also be sublime at times.

Earlydelivery
05-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Make that Gazza .

Bostonhibby
05-01-2017, 02:10 PM
I remember Juventus at ER in the mid 70's bringing on an ageing looking balding guy named Altafini - we were in the game until that substitution, eventually lost 4-2 (8-2 on aggregate) and he got a couple I think but it was his movement and finishing that got me, I went home and looked him up which wasn't so easy in those days, turns out he was one of the best strikers in his day. He'd be my pick.

Big L
05-01-2017, 02:18 PM

I remember him playing keep uppie on the penalty spot, Gordon and Cropley made a bee line for him and he casually back heeled it his 16 yr old keeper Glenn Lethering.. He played sweeper that night because Leeds were short of six internationals. What a performance!

hibees 7062
05-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Gazza

CropleyWasGod
05-01-2017, 02:28 PM
I remember him playing keep uppie on the penalty spot, Gordon and Cropley made a bee line for him and he casually back heeled it his 16 yr old keeper Glenn Lethering.. He played sweeper that night because Leeds were short of six internationals. What a performance!

So now we have him at both ends, and the penalty spot. Getting better and better. :greengrin

Incidentally, Glenn Letheren's son played for Killie a few years back.

Mick O'Rourke
05-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Foreign player?

Altafini, (Napoli and Juventus)

He took Hibernian to the cleaners at the Holy Ground in 1974 when with Juventus.(and he was a sub!)
We lost 4-2 at ER and 8-2 on aggregate

Some of my older relatives would go for the Frenchman, Raymond Kopa, (Rheims and Real Madrid)

He was deservedly man of the match when Hibernian played Rheims in the inaugural European Cup

Both players, undoubtedly "real" world class in their day.

Best Scottish players?
Two to mention.. Jimmy Johnstone and Jim Baxter.
Pity Slim Jim didn't play for us
He was a boyhood Hibby !!

CropleyWasGod
05-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Foreign player?

Altafini, (Napoli and Juventus)

He took Hibernian to the cleaners at the Holy Ground in 1974 when with Juventus.(and he was a sub!)
We lost 4-2 at ER and 8-2 on aggregate

Some of my older relatives would go for the Frenchman, Raymond Kopa, (Rheims and Real Madrid)

He was deservedly man of the match when Hibernian played Rheims in the inaugural European Cup

Both players, undoubtedly "real" world class in their day.

Best Scottish players?
Two to mention.. Jimmy Johnstone and Jim Baxter.
Pity Slim Jim didn't play for us
He was a boyhood Hibby !!

What would Jimmy say? Sometimes (most times :greengrin) players view things differently from fans.

southsider
05-01-2017, 02:48 PM
He is a little prick. Refused to shake Gary Caldwell's hand after the game. Gary was going to knock his lights out.

southsider
05-01-2017, 02:56 PM
He is a little prick. Refused to shake Gary Caldwell's hand after the game. Gary was going to knock his lights out.
I would agree with BB. Amazing that night. Btw he was homesick early in his Leeds career and wanted home. Hibs wanted to buy him and Billy wanted the move £15,000 fee agreed upon. Leeds then asked for £20k and move fell through.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-01-2017, 03:07 PM
For me it has to be Jose Altafini of Juventus, we equalized against them at ER and they brought him on, he looked so old and past it then he proceeded to run absolute rings around us with electric pace and power, mooth wide open time :boo hoo:

greenpaper55
05-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned Use Seeler, he was the Hamburg player who scored at ER and he was a touch of class, think he played in the world cup final that England won.

Mentioned in this old programme, i was able to click on each page for a bigger view, hope it works.

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/hibernian-vs-hamburg

stoneyburn hibs
05-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Probably Henrik but surprised Albertz hasn't been mentioned.

ancient hibee
05-01-2017, 03:15 PM
So now we have him at both ends, and the penalty spot. Getting better and better. :greengrin

Incidentally, Glenn Letheren's son played for Killie a few years back.

And they hey changed their goalie at half time.

northstandhibby
05-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Probably Henrik but surprised Albertz hasn't been mentioned.

Surely you mean Albert Kidd???

:not worth

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
05-01-2017, 03:23 PM
And they hey changed their goalie at half time.

Just been reading a report on the game. Letheren (who was 16) came on at half-time, after the young Scots keeper (3rd choice, I think ...) broke his finger.

Mick O'Rourke
05-01-2017, 04:14 PM
What would Jimmy say? Sometimes (most times :greengrin) players view things differently from fans.

Jimmy would agree on Altafini
Guiseppe (Joe Baker) was his real hero,though :-)

He would possibly also mention Bobby Moore

McD
05-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Not sure about the best, although the Dundee team with Caballero, Ravenelli and Canniggia always had brilliant games against Hibs (4-4 in Mogga's debut comes to mind, then 4-3 Hibs up at Dens, the Zitelli overhead kick winner at Dens etc)

But in terms of the worst I've seen, that's easier to answer. This guy is the worst : played in the 1-0 CIS quarter final game (the 81/19% possession game) for Hearts on route to our 5-1 Hampden win over Lockey, JJ and Billy "Ahve been places an dun hings" Brown.

Step forward Nerijus Barasa

Even his Wiki page has links to Scotsman articles explaining how even Hearts fans (noted for their love of out of shape hammer throwers like Neil Berry and Dave Bowman) even Hearts fans booed this Lithuanian Hammer Thrower out of Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerijus_Barasa

didnt they pay something mental like £750k for him, and he played about 4 times?

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 04:27 PM
didnt they pay something mental like £750k for him, and he played about 4 times?
Was that not Mirsad Beslija?

Ich liebe Deek
05-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Larrson.Used to walk up the east steps and as soon you seen him warming up you knew it was game over.Was good to see him turn the champions league final when he came on just to dispel the nonsense that he could only do it in a poor league.Gazza too but my main memories of these games were the noise those manky tramps made back in the day lording it over us.

McD
05-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Was that not Mirsad Beslija?

Ah, you're completely correct, cheers :greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Best player by a mile was George Best he was Brilliant even at the low point of his career.

Who did he play against Hibs for?

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Ah, you're completely correct, cheers :greengrin
Not much difference between them right enough - both huddies.....

ALF TUPPER
05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
I'll agree with OP on this. Defo Gazza. Class act.

Shame he was playing his last games for a club that was ,...........playing their last games.

😁

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Pat Stanton.

Mick O'Rourke
05-01-2017, 04:41 PM
I asked a Hearts pal, who he rated as the best player he saw,wearing a Hib's jersey.

Willie Hamilton, he replied.

No argument there !!

superfurryhibby
05-01-2017, 04:44 PM

La Galaxy, in a friendly?

Best Scottish players must include Kenny Dalglish, Danny Mc Grain, Davie Cooper, Billy Bremner and Windy Miller. All of them were excellent players and masters of their positions, although I have a feeling Bremner played sweeper that night for Leeds back in 1973?

Liberal Hibby
05-01-2017, 04:46 PM

Tampa Bay (I think) in a friendly as part of the deal that took him back to the states after Hibs.

happiehibbie
05-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Billy bremner or the whole Leeds team at that time

cabbageandribs1875
05-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Billy bremner or the whole Leeds team at that time

absolutely immense, and to think he could have been a hibs player for 30k, hibs had offered 25k but leeds held out for the 30k they wanted :(

Mon Dieu4
05-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Brian Laudrup is by far the best player I've seen play in Scotland, Larsson was class but I prefer players who go past people and take them on

Don't get me started on Gazza, talented player but despise his use of the elbows and our refs couldn't wait to give him free kicks, I'm still bitter about the 4-3 when he basically elbowed our defender and got a free kick for it, fair enough he stuck it away but I canny stand the guy

For some reason I always really liked Andy Thom as well, I can't even remember if he was that good

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Tampa Bay (I think) in a friendly as part of the deal that took him back to the states after Hibs.

San Jose Earthquakes it was.

Mick O'Rourke
05-01-2017, 05:07 PM

USA team
San Jose Earthquakes

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/Hibernian-Hibs-V-San-Jose-1981-Autographs-George-Best

Stantons Angel
05-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Ive got to go for Jimmy (blankety blank) Johnstone of Celtic.

Along with Dixie Deans destroyed Hibs in many a cup final in the 70's.

cmcd
05-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Ive got to go for Jimmy (blankety blank) Johnstone of Celtic.

Along with Dixie Deans destroyed Hibs in many a cup final in the 70's.

As much as Real Madrid were a class side in the sixties with world class players . Billy Bremner put in the best individual performance I have ever seen

Septimus
05-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Billy Steel.

A Hi-Bee
05-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Best foreign display seen at Easter Road would have to have been Altifina for Juventus when he came on he destroyed what was a very good Hibs side in 1974 (including a certain J. Harper who in fact scored a few goals for the Hibs, one that night I think, but he should still never have replaced Alan Gordon)

Best English based player would have to be Billy Bremner for Leeds against us (the second time we had been drawn against them) when he was simply outstanding, best display perhaps from any opposite player seen in my time of watching the Hibs (Early 1960’s)

Best Scottish based player would be Bobby Lennox a very under rated talent in a great smellic side who always seemed to score a bucketful against Hibs.

Display that impressed me also would have to go to Kenny Dalglish and this was in a friendly game after he had retired or at least did not play often he had a Hibs strip on and memory may be playing tricks so don’t remember what game, but he never left the centre circle and laid on four goals or so for Arthur Duncan, just supreme talent, way over 30 years old and with no speed, made no difference to Kenny.

brianmc
05-01-2017, 06:56 PM
He was amazing that day.

Agreed. He (Niemi) saved them from double digit hiding.

Best my shaky memory can recall would be Gasgoine's performance in a 4-3 win for the orcs at ER.

Sammy7nil
05-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Maybe not the best but Jorge Albertz and Wee Robbo both consistently pissed us off.

where'stheslope
05-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I asked a Hearts pal, who he rated as the best player he saw,wearing a Hib's jersey.

Willie Hamilton, he replied.

No argument there !!

He takes you back to when football was not the tribal fight like nowadays!

You would go along to Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next, all fans mixed in together and supporting their teams without any problem.

I watched Willie Hamilton for both Hibs and Hearts, and for skill there are not many in today's game who could live with him on the park.

Just with one dip of the shoulder he could take out 2 or 3 defenders, and his crossing was sublime.

He will always be one of my all time favourites, either for Hibs or Hearts.

Jonnyboy
05-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Another vote for Altafini. He was immense for Juve

I also nominate Dino Zoff for keeping the score down to 5 :greengrin

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Maybe not the best but Jorge Albertz and Wee Robbo both consistently pissed us off.
Well if pissing off Hibs fans is the criteria then Bertie Auld...........:greengrin

Mixu62
05-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Laudrup
Charlie Nicholas
Strachan and McAllister for Leeds in a pre-season game. Our midfield couldn't get close enough to foul them.

Scouse Hibee
05-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Dalglish
Henry
Messi
Gascoigne
Bryan Robson

Hi Heid Yin
05-01-2017, 08:10 PM

I think he did a wee trick or two just to let us know that he was the chief that night. Utterly brilliant performance by the wee man.

Is It On....
05-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Well if pissing off Hibs fans is the criteria then Bertie Auld...........:greengrin

All I seem to remember about Bertie Auld was he used to have a massive cigar. Is that right?

WhileTheChief..
05-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Dalglish
Henry
Messi
Gascoigne
Bryan Robson

I vaguely remember Dalglish playing for Blackburn against us in a pre season friendly. Did I imagine it or did it happen?

Did he ever play for Liverpool against Us?

eastmainsmsh
05-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Gazza was also chuffed to see Claudio Caniggia for dundee even tho he was getting on could still play a bit :not worth

Hibernia&Alba
05-01-2017, 08:33 PM
All I seem to remember about Bertie Auld was he used to have a massive cigar. Is that right?

Is that a euphemism? :shocked:

cabbageandribs1875
05-01-2017, 08:37 PM

and a bunnet

northstandhibby
05-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Nil Nil Bertie was his moniker among some of us. Came in after Wille Ormond if I remember rightly having been relegated to the old first division. Dire time for football but some great memories of being a fan going round the first division grounds and having some laughs along the way.

Glory Glory

Carheenlea
05-01-2017, 08:51 PM
I remember listening to a debate on Sportsound a few years back where the topic of who was the greatest player to play in Scotland was being discussed. It was at the time of Brian Laudrop, and all the contributors bar one were in agreement that Laudrop was the best. The one who disagreed was Bob Crampsey, and he suggested that while Laudrop was very good, Gordon Smith was the best he had seen.

Glory Lurker
05-01-2017, 09:09 PM
I don't pay enough attention to the opposition individually to have anyone really stand out. I've seen the likes of Gascoigne, etc, but don't recall walking away from a game saying "he was amazing". I'm way too narrow-minded for that!

Eyrie
05-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Best opposing player I saw would be Laudrup.

Display that impressed me also would have to go to Kenny Dalglish and this was in a friendly game after he had retired or at least did not play often he had a Hibs strip on and memory may be playing tricks so don’t remember what game, but he never left the centre circle and laid on four goals or so for Arthur Duncan, just supreme talent, way over 30 years old and with no speed, made no difference to Kenny.
The match was Alan Sneddon's testimonial against Aston Villa, and it was Keith Wright that got the goals.

BoomtownHibees
05-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Di Canio was decent but the likes of Laudrup, Gazza and Larson were a step above. In that order for me

PatHead
05-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Jimmy Johnstone. Loved watching Andy Ritchie but wasn't the best but a great entertainer

truehibernian
05-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Jimmy Johnstone. Loved watching Andy Ritchie but wasn't the best but a great entertainer

Great player Pat and I smile when he's on Open All Mics on the odd occasion, loves the game still and is really impartial - good shout mate (Ritchie).

Andy74
05-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Some decent players recently in our European games v Maribor and Malmo. Think one or two went on to better things.

stantonhibby
05-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Assume Gordon Smith must have played against us for Hearts & Dundee.

buktadays
05-01-2017, 10:29 PM

Bellamy was game to take on a volley from outside the box. And sometimes delivered with power and accuracy. Brilliant talent to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
05-01-2017, 10:37 PM
.....Display that impressed me also would have to go to Kenny Dalglish and this was in a friendly game after he had retired or at least did not play often he had a Hibs strip on and memory may be playing tricks so don’t remember what game, but he never left the centre circle and laid on four goals or so for Arthur Duncan, just supreme talent, way over 30 years old and with no speed, made no difference to Kenny.

When he was manager of the Magpies, one of their players was asked by an interviewer, "Who is the best player at Newcastle United?"
The player said "Kenny Dalglish".
The interviewer said "No, I mean currently."
The player said "Kenny Dalglish."

A Hi-Bee
06-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Best opposing player I saw would be Laudrup.

The match was Alan Sneddon's testimonial against Aston Villa, and it was Keith Wright that got the goals.

Thanks Eyrie,
The memory plays tricks when you have watched them so many times, thanks for the reminder wrong decade but still immense display from Dalglish.
Think I got mixed up with the game that Arthur Duncan played through the middle for Hibs and the magic that was Joe Baker laid four goals on a plate for Arthur, I think he was the only player fast enough to get onto the end of Joes quick thinking fitba brain when he came back to us the second time around.

2016 Delivered
06-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Pat McGinley

ekhibee
06-01-2017, 01:03 PM
I vaguely remember Dalglish playing for Blackburn against us in a pre season friendly. Did I imagine it or did it happen?

Did he ever play for Liverpool against Us?
The only Blackburn friendly against Hibs that I remember was when Shearer had just signed for them, it might have been his first game for them, we beat them 3-2 I think at ER.

MalongaMayhem
06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Virgil Van dijk or steven pressley

heid the baw
06-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Kenny Dalglish

2016 Delivered
06-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Some decent players recently in our European games v Maribor and Malmo. Think one or two went on to better things.

Few European Championship winners in the AEK team too I remember Tsiartas(sp) scoring a corner (I think) in the match. Dnipro had a good team too.

Foreign players against us I would go for Stefan Kloss or Giovanni Van Bronkhorst.

Peevemor
06-01-2017, 02:00 PM
The player that I've seen at ER who has had the biggest impact on football (by a very long way), was a certain Jean-Marc Bosman when he played for Liege.

Apart from that, Klinsmann was exceptional for Bayern against Raith Rovers at ER.

I never seen Dalgish play a competetive game against us, but he was superb in the testimonial.

George Best played against us for Newcastle in Jackie Mac's testimonial and bossed the match big time.

In competitive games I'd probably have to go for Gascoigne, with Davie Cooper coming a close second.

Famous Fiver
06-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Some great shouts on here but Altafini was the daddy of them all as far as I am concerned, and by a country mile.

Bremner was a cheating wee pr*ck, Altafini was all football.

JimBHibees
06-01-2017, 02:15 PM
The player that I've seen at ER who has had the biggest impact on football (by a very long way), was a certain Jean-Marc Bosman when he played for Liege.

Apart from that, Klinsmann was exceptional for Bayern against Raith Rovers at ER.

I never seen Dalgish play a competetive game against us, but he was superb in the testimonial.

George Best played against us for Newcastle in Jackie Mac's testimonial and bossed the match big time.

In competitive games I'd probably have to go for Gascoigne, with Davie Cooper coming a close second.

honestly can't remember him playing in that game not to say he didn't however personally thought Chris Waddle was incredible in that game.

Peevemor
06-01-2017, 02:19 PM
honestly can't remember him playing in that game not to say he didn't however personally thought Chris Waddle was incredible in that game.

True, but it was George Best that held my interest. :greengrin

JimBHibees
06-01-2017, 02:22 PM
True, but it was George Best that held my interest. :greengrin

Fair enough. :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
06-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Best played for Hibs in that match did he not? I was there, could be wrong but that's how I recall it.

Stevie Reid
06-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Dunno if he's been mentioned before on this thread, but in terms of domestic opposition players at ER, Trevor Steven was definitely one of the most cultured players I've seen.

Peevemor
06-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Best played for Hibs in that match did he not? I was there, could be wrong but that's how I recall it.

You could be right - it was a long time ago. IIRC he only played one half.

Pedantic_Hibee
06-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Alan Shearer against Hibs for Blackburn. He done hee haw that night but in terms of overall career, he was the best.

In respect of actually playing brilliant against us, probably Gazza although yon Rantie felly for Malmo fair frightened the life out of me every time he got the ball.

ballengeich
06-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Best foreign display seen at Easter Road would have to have been Altifina for Juventus when he came on he destroyed what was a very good Hibs side in 1974 (including a certain J. Harper who in fact scored a few goals for the Hibs, one that night I think, but he should still never have replaced Alan Gordon)

Best English based player would have to be Billy Bremner for Leeds against us (the second time we had been drawn against them) when he was simply outstanding, best display perhaps from any opposite player seen in my time of watching the Hibs (Early 1960’s)

These are the two I'd pick also. Altafini was mid 30s by that time, bald and overweight. What must he have been in his prime.

Bremner virtually won the tie on his own. We'd drawn the first leg and they sent a team mainly consisting of squad players.

superfurryhibby
06-01-2017, 04:55 PM
These are the two I'd pick also. Altafini was mid 30s by that time, bald and overweight. What must he have been in his prime.

Bremner virtually won the tie on his own. We'd drawn the first leg and they sent a team mainly consisting of squad players.

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-1973%20Hibernian%20v%20LUFC.htm

That Leeds team included guys like Lorimer, Jordan, Cherry, Yorath, Reaney and Clarke. There were some big names missing, but we also played guys like Higgins, Bremner and Mc Arthur, all of whom were young and up and coming. The idea that Leeds and Bremner weren't taking it seriously is belied by the efforts put in by the ginger heided maestro. Sour grapes methinks as the English champions to be were simply outplayed by Hibs over two legs.

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Dunno if he's been mentioned before on this thread, but in terms of domestic opposition players at ER, Trevor Steven was definitely one of the most cultured players I've seen.

Great shout, I remember him impressing me when he played against Liverpool at Anfield for Burnley in a cup tie. I thought he was going to be a great player and it turned out he was in a great Everton team.

06-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Saw Henrik Larsson play (and score) for celtic against us at ER. Unbelievable player. Best player thats ever played in this country IMO, certainly in my lifetime anyway.

Smartie
06-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Saw Henrik Larsson play (and score) for celtic against us at ER. Unbelievable player. Best player thats ever played in this country IMO, certainly in my lifetime anyway.

We'll always remember him more for his assist of Chic Charnley's goal at ER on Larsson's debut though.