PDA

View Full Version : Scott Martin

Unseen work
04-01-2017, 01:15 AM
Really like everything about this young lad, attitude, confidence, tenacity, he has the lot.

In the 2 games he has started he has played to a high level, especially against Falkirk where he made 2 crucial tackles/interceptions when they were just about to score.

It will be interesting to see what Lennon does when Mcginn is fit (potentially Friday). He has publically praised Martin so will he continue to start the current midfield until someone's performance drops or just drop Martin as it is easy?

Will he drop Shinnie as he plays deeper now and may see Martin as better in that role?

Fwiw I think a lot of fans give Shinnie a hard time unnecessarily, for me he never hides and always tries to get us going. He can play better but overall his performances have been good imo.

It's also harder for guys like Shinnie to be creative when we have a lack of options, with commons and Humphrey signing it will make his role easier for him.

Of course we may see a complete new formation with the signing of Humphrey.

Vault Boy
04-01-2017, 03:20 AM
I was impressed with Martin when I saw him first last season and I'm pleased that he has started to kick on and get first team opportunities now. With the recent couple of signings and the imminent return of some key players, the area that had been troubling us for a weeks is starting to look like our biggest strength yet again.

Shinnie could definitely do with being played in an advanced position. He's an attacking midfielder, no real doubt about it IMO, he's a player I really rate and I hope he can start to produce what he's capable of.

Will be exciting to see what we can do with the midfield over the next few games.

J-C
04-01-2017, 07:01 AM
If McGinn is fit he'll drop Shinnie ( or he should drop him ), we need 3 proper midfielders in the middle to win balls and drive the team forward, Shinnie doesn't do that as he's better further forward, unfortunately for him we have Commons for that now.

I'm more interested in what formation we are going to play to squeeze everyone into the team, to play 2 up top means a diamond, 3 at the back or a 4-4-2. He may go with Martin and Dylan in the middle, Commons off the left and Humphrey on the right, which means a lot of work for the 2 in the middle.

We are overloaded with forward players now and it'll be good to see how he's going to keep them all happy and give them game time.

LustForLeith
04-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Reminds me of Scott Brown. If he turns out to be half the player Brown is then things are looking good.

Brightside
04-01-2017, 07:31 AM
He will be dropped when we get a full squad. Its a shame as i think he is a cracking young player and a mile better option that Bartley. My assumption is Fyvie will play his role in the majority of games.

Brightside
04-01-2017, 07:33 AM
If McGinn is fit he'll drop Shinnie ( or he should drop him ), we need 3 proper midfielders in the middle to win balls and drive the team forward, Shinnie doesn't do that as he's better further forward, unfortunately for him we have Commons for that now.

I'm more interested in what formation we are going to play to squeeze everyone into the team, to play 2 up top means a diamond, 3 at the back or a 4-4-2. He may go with Martin and Dylan in the middle, Commons off the left and Humphrey on the right, which means a lot of work for the 2 in the middle.

We are overloaded with forward players now and it'll be good to see how he's going to keep them all happy and give them game time.

343 please.

eastcoasthibby
04-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Have watched Scott for past couple of seasons in the 20's and he for me has a bright future as long as he is developed well. He has a lot of really good attributes for young lad and I am glad he has come in and shown what he can give us. Fwiw I think he should have been in a couple if games earlier instead of Bartley but that's past.
He is exactly what we need against Utd on Friday , his work rate and tenaciousness is infectious I think, big decisions for AL on Friday ...Scott is one if them and I think he will keep his place ! Though does depend on the shape we play.
Good news though is he is one that will come through to be a first team player ..!!

The Leith Dutch
04-01-2017, 08:14 AM

With Martin while I like what I see - it's difficult to see him getting any starts when even two of McGinn, McGeough and Fyvie are fit.

I'd argue that we should only have two ball winning / driving midfielders to free up extra room for an attacker and think playing both Commons and Shinnie works. I'd also worry about anything that suggests we're dropping Shinnie for Commons as, come mid January, we lose Commons and Shinnie would (arguably at least) come back in.

I do think Shinnie gets a hard time. Plays with his head up and at the level we're at a player who does that is going to have flaws.

I also think that the times we've looked most threatening recently is when Shinnie is slipping good passes in with Boyle running on to them.
Yes, the passes sometimes don't come off and yes, Boyle isn't what you'd call a clinical finisher (though not as bad as some on here make out) but you can see other teams - especially the smaller ones - don't have any kind of answer for that.

What I think we're really missing now we have Humphrey is a left winger for balance.
Of the tactical options available to Lennon the one that's lacking is the ability to play 3 Centre backs and two Wingers rather than wing backs.

Against the weaker teams in the division I think a formation like:
GK

CB
CB
CB

RW
CM
AM
CM
LW

FW
FW

is what we should be looking at.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2017, 08:23 AM
You have to remember Scott is only 19, and quite small in build as well. Think he'll start to be a regular sometime next season, any additional time he gets this year will help him progress