PDA

View Full Version : Sportscene

speedy_gonzales
02-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Sportscene was on in the background there, first game up is Rangers-Celtic, no surprise there but I was a little surprised there wasn't any interviews with either manager. I was aware Rangers & the BBC had fell out a while ago but still thought they'd show Brendan Rodgers, they didn't.
So far EVERY other manager has had their 5 seconds after their teams highlights so what is so special about these two particular teams.
Is this just the Sportscene editors sparing The Rangers blushes by having neither manager on rather than just the one?

Jim44
02-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Would it not be because they don't actually broadcast directly from Ibrox ? They wouldn't be in the ground to interview Rodgers immediately after the game.

StevieT
02-01-2017, 08:14 PM
They even had to read out the managers' comments on Sportsound on Saturday. It's pathetic.

greenginger
02-01-2017, 08:15 PM
And no doubt The Rangers will be paid their full share of SPFL TV money as per their league position at the end of the season despite not contributing anything to the weekly BBC TV program.

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2017, 08:23 PM
BBC banned themselves from Ibrox after Rangers tried to ban one of their journalists.

ardecos
02-01-2017, 09:11 PM
I've just noticed that Hibs feature feature twice (both cup final) on the new BBC sports idents.

SteveHFC
02-01-2017, 09:15 PM
BBC banned themselves from Ibrox after Rangers tried to ban one of their journalists.

yet they still give them more airtime, they are publicly funded so don't need the advertising revenue and should just ignore them

number9dream
03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Beeb are in a mess over this... Although I can understand their stance in not allowing Rangers to say who can and who can't show up.
'We're not going to Ibrox' but yet they do live radio commentary, which is presumably Rob and the lads watching it on a telly in the studio. When it's not the main game they have Chick or Richard Wilson (the chief Ibrox sympathisers) giving us updated from Twitter feeds or are they listening to Radio Clyde then telling us what happened?
Of course, we'd be raging if Hibs were at Ibrox and we didn't get any coverage... The whole situation is bonkers but Rangers will not be bothered one bit since the stand off appeals to those with the frankly incredible 'everyone's against us' mentality!

BH Hibs
03-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Briefly listened to the radio commentary on Saturday when the were clearly watching it on TV. You could here the fans cheering the goals before the commentator announced it. Shambles really.

heretoday
03-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Briefly listened to the radio commentary on Saturday when the were clearly watching it on TV. You could here the fans cheering the goals before the commentator announced it. Shambles really.

That's scandalous if true. I know Talksport get up to that but they're not publicly funded.

J-C
03-01-2017, 02:37 PM

They said before the game that they were elsewhere watching the game on big screen due to the ban on the BBC at Ibrox, not really a lot they could do.

Oscar T Grouch
03-01-2017, 02:43 PM
I wonder why the SPFL don't sort this out. They either tell the rangers that as one of the official broadcasters the BBC should get full access to Ibrox (i.e. They don't get to dictate which reporters turn up) or if they don't they don't get any TV money. Or they side with the rangers and remove BBC as an official broadcaster.

Typical of the people on charge of the game that this farce is just let to continue with no solution on the horizon.

SouthMoroccoStu
03-01-2017, 02:50 PM
I wonder why the SPFL don't sort this out. They either tell the rangers that as one of the official broadcasters the BBC should get full access to Ibrox (i.e. They don't get to dictate which reporters turn up) or if they don't they don't get any TV money. Or they side with the rangers and remove BBC as an official broadcaster.

Typical of the people on charge of the game that this farce is just let to continue with no solution on the horizon.

Well said

Can you imagine the response and ridicule a non old firm team would get if they tried this?

One rule for them and another for the rest of us

O'Rourke3
03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Alex Ferguson refused to talk to the BBC for years. A new rights deal had a "we choose" clause put in by the broadcasters. He was soon brought into line...

DavieRoy
05-01-2017, 06:29 AM
The thing is, the League and clubs want a better deal from TV, rightly so, but it works both ways, what are the clubs doing to sell themselves and promote the brand?

Getting the brand on terrestrial TV is important regardless of what they pay and how they showcase it but Rangers selfishness could harm future deals for all clubs.

Fuzzywuzzy
05-01-2017, 06:42 AM
The ban for the BBC from Ibrox is self imposed. They did it in support of Chris McLaughlin I think.

Oscar T Grouch
05-01-2017, 07:05 AM
The ban for the BBC from Ibrox is self imposed. They did it in support of Chris McLaughlin I think.

And quite rightly too. Why should the huns dictate who reports on their matches? What makes a 4 yo club so special?

Pete
05-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Less coverage from Ibrox the better IMO.

I wish they'd ban themselves from Parkhead too. Meaningful games involving teams like Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and Hearts are regularly kicked to the curb when it comes to live coverage in favour of Celtic playing (thrashing) some minnow at home.

DavieRoy
05-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Less coverage from Ibrox the better IMO.

I wish they'd ban themselves from Parkhead too. Meaningful games involving teams like Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and Hearts are regularly kicked to the curb when it comes to live coverage in favour of Celtic playing (thrashing) some minnow at home.

But there is a balance. Mainly Celtic and Rangers away games are live. They get the biggest ratings, that is understandable but then there is the competition and meaningful game element too.

Remember, the structure of the deal means the TV can only go to grounds a certain time but it is setup to suit less Celtic and Rangers home games on TV.

We moan when our games are live but we moan when they are not live too. TV money and less disruption sounds good to me, let them show Celtic and Rangers as long as the teams are getting the money.

DavieRoy
05-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Sportscene is a bit different as the BBC buy in the SPFL footage. In the Scottish Cup, Sky and BBC provide the cameras, in the League, it is many different production companies, with varying degrees of standards and amount of cameras, showing that the league can't sell a proper deal but the SFA can.

Saying that, next season, every game that is not live must have four cameras at it.