PDA

View Full Version : Niall McGinn (yam content)

ekhibee
02-01-2017, 02:12 PM
I see Hearts are after McGinn, his contract's up in the summer. Plays down the left and scores goals but hasn't been getting a game recently. Good player but there's obviously a reason why he's not been getting a game. I'm not saying we'd be able to get him, but imagine him down one wing and Humphrey down the other. That would be worth watching, to be sure.

greenginger
02-01-2017, 02:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38488140

Cathro maybe no too happy with Potter's squad of imports.

Itsnoteasy
02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
I see Hearts are after McGinn, his contract's up in the summer. Plays down the left and scores goals but hasn't been getting a game recently. Good player but there's obviously a reason why he's not been getting a game. I'm not saying we'd be able to get him, but imagine him down one wing and Humphrey down the other. That would be worth watching, to be sure.

Fi Aberdeen?

Billychaotic182
02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
No way would he leave Aberdeen for the Scottish championship. He will either go down England or stay at Aberdeen, would be surprised if he signed for hearts as can't see them offering more of a wage than Aberdeen

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Pre contract

ekhibee
02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Fi Aberdeen?
Yup.

SouthMoroccoStu
02-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Pre contract

For us?

Ozyhibby
02-01-2017, 02:34 PM
This is one we are best staying out of.
All three clubs could probably afford to pay similar wages and this will come down to the length of contract. At 29, McGinn will be looking for a 3/4 year deal. He is a very good player but do we really want a 32/33 year old McGinn as one of our top earners. I don't think so.
Better to look for younger options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
02-01-2017, 02:35 PM
No way would he leave Aberdeen for the Scottish championship. He will either go down England or stay at Aberdeen, would be surprised if he signed for hearts as can't see them offering more of a wage than Aberdeen

We will be in the premiership next season. Have faith.

greenlex
02-01-2017, 03:03 PM
All three clubs could probably afford to pay similar wages and this will come down to the length of contract. At 29, McGinn will be looking for a 3/4 year deal. He is a very good player but do we really want a 32/33 year old McGinn as one of our top earners. I don't think so.

Not often I agree with you but I do on this.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-01-2017, 03:57 PM
For us?

Nope. The tramps are trying to get him on a pre.

SouthMoroccoStu
02-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Nope. The tramps are trying to get him on a pre.

Cheers BMD

Hibee87
02-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Anyone saying they wouldn't take him needs their head checked, he is a great player.

Any way, back to the rumour. Don't hearts have previous for announcing interest in players to get their fans foaming with no real intention or money to actually make it happen?

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Not sure why he would leave Aberdeen for Hearts? Makes no sense. Complete sideways move, leaving a team who have consistently been the second best team in the country for the last few years, leaving somewhere he'll be settled living for probably a very similar wage. His agent might be able to use this to get a bit extra in wages for him from Aberdeen though.

Bostonhibby
02-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Is Mcginn tall enough? Can't see potter letting this proceed until he's put the tape measure on him.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
02-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Yam supporters Christmas money being spent.

Add 6.5% interest to whatever fee and wages are paid. You can be sure Budgie won't be funding this.

How long will it take the 400,000 to realise just how much they are being shafted by a seemingly harmless old bird?

She's got them by the short and curlies.

Michael
02-01-2017, 06:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of him. He tends to get into good positions and is often involved in the game, but he misses a lot of chances. Bit like Shinnie really.

Onceinawhile
02-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Not sure why he would leave Aberdeen for Hearts? Makes no sense. Complete sideways move, leaving a team who have consistently been the second best team in the country for the last few years, leaving somewhere he'll be settled living for probably a very similar wage. His agent might be able to use this to get a bit extra in wages for him from Aberdeen though.

Austin macphee
Edinburgh is cheaper than Aberdeen
Get home to NI quicker.
Don't have to live in Aberdeen.

4 easy reasons to choose hearts over Aberdeen. From a pure football perspective though I agree. Sideways move at best.

ancient hibee
02-01-2017, 08:12 PM
When I saw McGinn was talking up McPhee last week I presumed this was him trying to gee up Hearts and Aberdeen to make him an offer.And so it came to pass.

HibsNutter
02-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Good player if they get him, certainly an improvement on Sam Nicholson.

greenlex
02-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Yam supporters Christmas money being spent.

Add 6.5% interest to whatever fee and wages are paid. You can be sure Budgie won't be funding this.

How long will it take the 400,000 to realise just how much they are being shafted by a seemingly harmless old bird?

She's got them by the short and curlies.
6.5% is a decent rate for a company that can't get credit anywhere else to be honest.

hibees 7062
02-01-2017, 10:08 PM

They've offered him a 3 year contract . They're after Ally Crawford as well

trev the hat
02-01-2017, 10:37 PM
McGinn would be a cracking signing for the yam. Very clever player with a more than decent goal ratio. I'd happily have him at ER.

Ozyhibby
02-01-2017, 10:38 PM

Crawford is probably a better bet at 25.

RoYO!
02-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Anyone saying they wouldn't take him needs their head checked, he is a great player.

Any way, back to the rumour. Don't hearts have previous for announcing interest in players to get their fans foaming with no real intention or money to actually make it happen?

"Great player" is completely over-stating IMO. He is good on his day. Dons fans that I know rate him as inconsistent.

Zazu62
02-01-2017, 10:45 PM

Who is?

O'Rourke3
02-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Ali Crawford will go to England according to his dad.

hibees 7062
02-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Who is?

Hertz

where'stheslope
03-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Sounds to me like easy Journalism to me!

It was seemingly on the Kickback long before the press got wind of it, and its enough to make them lick their lips with anticipation!!!!

Col2
03-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Done deal - McGinn to Yams on pre contract so I am told.

Good player no doubt about it. Surprised on two fronts - him moving sideways at best and he won't earn a lot more given tight wages at Tynie. But also because Hearts signing a 29 year old on presumably highest earning wages and 3 year plus contract, little transfer fee return if they end up punting him given age. Seems to go against Potter recruitment 'strategy'.

Smartie
03-01-2017, 01:12 PM
So - they're building a new stand that they don't have enough money for, whilst outbidding close rivals for their best players (who are approaching the end of their career) for a long contract?

Whilst their most saleable asset sits out the next 10 months with a serious injury?

They need watched.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Done deal - McGinn to Yams on pre contract so I am told.

Good player no doubt about it. Surprised on two fronts - him moving sideways at best and he won't earn a lot more given tight wages at Tynie. But also because Hearts signing a 29 year old on presumably highest earning wages and 3 year plus contract, little transfer fee return if they end up punting him given age. Seems to go against Potter recruitment 'strategy'.

It's likely that Aberdeen were only offering a 2 year deal. I doubt there will be much difference in wages between the two clubs and there won't be that much demand down south for a 29 year old winger who has mostly played his career in Scotland.
It means Hearts are going to have a 32 year old winger at the top of their wage bill in a couple of years. I'm happy at that and glad it's not us. Could also be a sign they are resigned to losing walker and Nicholson.

Smartie
03-01-2017, 01:51 PM
It's likely that Aberdeen were only offering a 2 year deal. I doubt there will be much difference in wages between the two clubs and there won't be that much demand down south for a 29 year old winger who has mostly played his career in Scotland.
It means Hearts are going to have a 32 year old winger at the top of their wage bill in a couple of years. I'm happy at that and glad it's not us. Could also be a sign they are resigned to losing walker and Nicholson.

Are Walker and Nicholson out of contract at the end of the season?

hfc rd
03-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Very good signing for them tbh. Wouldn't mind him here.

Unseen work
03-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Sam Nicholson allegedly going the other way, good business for the dons.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Very good signing for them tbh. Wouldn't mind him here.

No doubt he is a very good player, but Aberdeen have not been using him as much recently and do not appear concerned at him leaving. At 29 his effectiveness as a winger will be declining from here.
I can see him having a decent season next season, following by being used sparingly the next to dropping out the team altogether in the third season. By that time the yams will be calling him a wage thief etc.
He's a good player, I just would not have given him a 3 year deal.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Are Walker and Nicholson out of contract at the end of the season?

Nicholson is out of contract in the summer and indicated he wants to move on. Walker is out of contract in 2018.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Now or end of season?

hfc rd
03-01-2017, 01:59 PM

If that's the case then the Sheep are getting the better of the deal.

Unseen work
03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Now or end of season?

Presume it would be January if both players agreed a ore contract.

Personally don't see why Nicholson would go to Aberdeen, seems a very side ways move at this stage of his career.

Smartie
03-01-2017, 02:24 PM
What is considered to be the shelf-life for a winger? I saw someone on another thread alluding to the fact that we shouldn't expect Humphrey to have the pace at 29 that he had when he was younger.

Surely if a player has looked after himself and hasn't had serious injury problems then they should be at their peak at about 29?

Obviously sell-on value will be affected as clubs would be more likely to pay money for a 21 year old than a 31 year old.

But if you're looking purely at a footballing contribution I don't think giving a 3 year deal to a 29 year old is madness.

Mcginn isn't purely a pacy winger either - he often plays up front and I reckon would be clever enough to tailor his game if his pace dropped off a bit.

I just googled Robben and Ribery - Robben is 32, Ribery is 33. I'd consider both of them to have been pretty good over the past 3-4years. And Christiano Ronaldo is 32 in just over a month. Has he ever been better, quicker or fitter than he is now?

Are we writing players off a wee bit too young?

ekhibee
03-01-2017, 02:53 PM
No doubt he is a very good player, but Aberdeen have not been using him as much recently and do not appear concerned at him leaving. At 29 his effectiveness as a winger will be declining from here.
I can see him having a decent season next season, following by being used sparingly the next to dropping out the team altogether in the third season. By that time the yams will be calling him a wage thief etc.
He's a good player, I just would not have given him a 3 year deal.

A lot of good points in there Ozyhibby, and I can see where you're coming from, totally. But IMO, if a player like that goes on the market at a reasonable price, lots of teams will be in for him. If we always took that kind of attitude about a 3 year deal etc we'd never sign any half decent players cos we'd be too worried about what they'd be like in 3 years time. I get what you're saying, I suppose it's just a different perspective.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2017, 03:11 PM
What is considered to be the shelf-life for a winger? I saw someone on another thread alluding to the fact that we shouldn't expect Humphrey to have the pace at 29 that he had when he was younger.

Surely if a player has looked after himself and hasn't had serious injury problems then they should be at their peak at about 29?

Obviously sell-on value will be affected as clubs would be more likely to pay money for a 21 year old than a 31 year old.

But if you're looking purely at a footballing contribution I don't think giving a 3 year deal to a 29 year old is madness.

Mcginn isn't purely a pacy winger either - he often plays up front and I reckon would be clever enough to tailor his game if his pace dropped off a bit.

I just googled Robben and Ribery - Robben is 32, Ribery is 33. I'd consider both of them to have been pretty good over the past 3-4years. And Christiano Ronaldo is 32 in just over a month. Has he ever been better, quicker or fitter than he is now?

Every player is different, some last into their 30's easily. The 3 players you mention are known for their commitment and professionalism.
The majority of players sharpness and speed drops round about the 30 mark. Some before, some after.
Look at Ivan Sproule when he returned. Whatever you thought about his performances 2nd time round there is no doubt at all that the blistering pace was gone. It happens. For players in the forward positions who relied on pace this is a problem.
Players like Commons who never had it can last a bit longer.
I'm sure Fergie when he was at Man U refused to give any player who reached 30 more than a 1 year deal because he knew that at some point they would be no use to him.

Itsnoteasy
03-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Every player is different, some last into their 30's easily. The 3 players you mention are known for their commitment and professionalism.
The majority of players sharpness and speed drops round about the 30 mark. Some before, some after.
Look at Ivan Sproule when he returned. Whatever you thought about his performances 2nd time round there is no doubt at all that the blistering pace was gone. It happens. For players in the forward positions who relied on pace this is a problem.
Players like Commons who never had it can last a bit longer.
I'm sure Fergie when he was at Man U refused to give any player who reached 30 more than a 1 year deal because he knew that at some point they would be no use to him.

Ryan Giggs

tamig
03-01-2017, 03:44 PM

I think Linford Christie was at his fastest in his early 30s.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Chemically assisted though.

tamig
03-01-2017, 03:52 PM
Chemically assisted though.

Still has his gold though.

lord bunberry
03-01-2017, 04:28 PM
If that's the case then the Sheep are getting the better of the deal.

Nicholson is pish, he is nowhere near as good as McGinn

Itsnoteasy
03-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Nicholson is pish, he is nowhere near as good as McGinn

Nicholson is good at playing wi his nuts when he scores against us.

03-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Hate to say it but that would be a very decent signing for them.

Kavinho
03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Is it officially announced?

Bostonhibby
03-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Nicholson is good at playing wi his nuts when he scores against us.
Maybe the dons are looking for someone who can fill that particular role for them?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Gmack7
03-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Cathy has mind her mind up quickly after 1 game against Aberdeen, unless she watched him while working with Valencia or Newcastle 😁

Centre Hawf
04-01-2017, 02:42 AM
Let's not kid ourselves. 29 or not the guys a player and although his form has dropped off I think he'll do damage for them. Especially if its to supply decent crosses to a 7 foot huddy. Would have liked to have thought we picked up the phone and spoke to him but we're always going to miss out when were not certain of what division we'll be in next year.

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Presume it would be January if both players agreed a ore contract.

Personally don't see why Nicholson would go to Aberdeen, seems a very side ways move at this stage of his career.

Maybe he's just so desperate to get away from the manager/head coach/video analyst/puppet that he'll take a sideways move?

IanM
04-01-2017, 07:54 AM
UPDATE: #Aberdeen's Niall McGinn expected to turn down three-year deal from #Hearts

Journo from the evening express

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2017, 07:58 AM
UPDATE: #Aberdeen's Niall McGinn expected to turn down three-year deal from #Hearts

Journo from the evening express

Has McGinn spoken to Neil Lennon recently?

where'stheslope
04-01-2017, 08:22 AM
I've just remembered when we brought in a young Irish winger!

Think his name was "George Best", I remember everyone saying he was finished, yet we still played him?

To much Green Tinted Specs on here at times.

If Niall McGinn was signing for us I would be saying were going places!!!

Thecat23
04-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Think his name was "George Best", I remember everyone saying he was finished, yet we still played him?

Niall McGinn is a good player, but I'm no sure he's quite George Best good!

greenginger
04-01-2017, 09:05 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4086070/Hearts-prepare-January-spending-spree-help-manager-Ian-Cathro.html

Six new players and offering " competitive " wages.

What about the new stand and never going into debt again ?

Yams returning to type .

Ozyhibby
04-01-2017, 09:27 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4086070/Hearts-prepare-January-spending-spree-help-manager-Ian-Cathro.html

Six new players and offering " competitive " wages.

What about the new stand and never going into debt again ?

Yams returning to type .

Takes over a team 2nd in the league and immediately starts saying everything needs rebuilt?
I think Neilson done a fantastic job for the Yams and I'm delighted he is gone. Especially now that this thinks they need to change everything.

CallumLaidlaw
04-01-2017, 11:46 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/d13a3c8f65462de80342d1eb68ea93df.jpg

DarrenSQH
04-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Im no really that bothered but they better not try steal the McGinn song.

Stokesy's on fire
04-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Aberdeens loss in my opinion.

Is It On....
04-01-2017, 09:33 PM

And nothing to do with the illegal substances he was caught taking ??

jacomo
05-01-2017, 12:07 AM

You've inadvertently proved the point you were trying to disprove.

Best, sadly, was a shadow of his former self by the time he signed for Hibs.

cocteautwin
05-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Takes over a team 2nd in the league and immediately starts saying everything needs rebuilt?
I think Neilson done a fantastic job for the Yams and I'm delighted he is gone. Especially now that this thinks they need to change everything.

Here's hoping Cathro does a Terry Butcher. 4 points from 15 so far and upcoming fixtures include a potential banana skin in the cup with Raith Rovers and then 4 losable fixtures against Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell and Inverness.

Fingers crossed for a lame cup exit and 4 points from 27 come mid Feb :thumbsup:

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 01:35 AM

It could be said that Le God was past his best when he came to us but that didn't stop him lighting the place up........

Dashing Bob S
05-01-2017, 04:41 AM

Rubbish. Best peaked at Hibs.

ancient hibee
05-01-2017, 09:59 AM
It could be said that Le God was past his best when he came to us but that didn't stop him lighting the place up........

Sauzee would run through a brick wall for Hibs.Best often couldn't be bothered turning up.

hibsbollah
05-01-2017, 10:08 AM
I recall about five years ago my hearts supporting mate telling me they used to single him out for special treatment because of his Celtic connections.

ekhibee
05-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Here's hoping Cathro does a Terry Butcher. 4 points from 15 so far and upcoming fixtures include a potential banana skin in the cup with Raith Rovers and then 4 losable fixtures against Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell and Inverness.

Fingers crossed for a lame cup exit and 4 points from 27 come mid Feb :thumbsup:
They'll beat ICT, they're p1sh.

northstandhibby
05-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Even if he was he was still far too Hibs classy for the Yams to handle. Le God :not worth

Glory Glory

jacomo
05-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Rubbish. Best peaked at Hibs.

From his point of view, I'm sure it was the very peak of his career.

Personally, I preferred the 60s vintage.

HoboHarry
05-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Even if he was he was still far too Hibs classy for the Yams to handle. Le God :not worth

Glory Glory
No argument from me about that. I never thought at my age that Hibs would sign a player who would become my favorite ever after seeing the likes of O'Rourke, Blackley and countless others.........

southern hibby
05-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Im no really that bothered but they better not try steal the McGinn song.

Listened to Hearts Aberdeen on radio other night and in background Aberdeen fans singing it

GGTTH

northstandhibby
05-01-2017, 04:00 PM
No argument from me about that. I never thought at my age that Hibs would sign a player who would become my favorite ever after seeing the likes of O'Rourke, Blackley and countless others.........

Very true indeed. Who would have thought Le God would come along with Latapy et al to become a team of such esteem. Obviously not as esteemed a team as Turnbull's Tornadoes but nether the less still a team of legend the 6-2 massacre of course will never be forgotten.

:agree: