PDA

View Full Version : NHC Changes over the years

Lago
02-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Watching many games on TV over the festive period a couple of things struck me when some of the archive footage from years ago was shown.

So, when did goalies start to wear gloove as a matter of routine, years ago no gloves at all!

Tops outside shorts, I have it in my mind that at one point there was some dress code which required tops to be tucked inside shorts, or is that just my imagination?

Anyway answers on a postcard:greengrin

bigwheel
02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Watching many games on TV over the festive period a couple of things struck me when some of the archive footage from years ago was shown.

So, when did goalies start to wear gloove as a matter of routine, years ago no gloves at all!

Tops outside shorts, I have it in my mind that at one point there was some dress code which required tops to be tucked inside shorts, or is that just my imagination?

I certainly recall Jim Herriot not wearing gloves....and also Alan Rough at times...although I seem to recall him also wearing gloves sometimes. can't recall many (any?) Hibs goalkeeper after that not wearing gloves....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

West lower
02-01-2017, 12:41 PM

As a side note on this. The person who started the trend of pulling socks up over the knees has a lot to answer for. Next it will be hair clasps and pink boots. Oh wait ....

BH Hibs
02-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I think Peter Bonetti was credited as one of the first to wear gloves. Can also remember Ray Clemence being featured in adverts for Sondico gloves in Shoot magazine in early eighties.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2017, 12:49 PM

Gloves when the ball was wet, no gloves when dry. Like proper men.

Think the dress code thing might have been that you eventually weren't allowed to play with socks round ankles (ie no shinguards - too dangerous).

Lago
02-01-2017, 12:57 PM
As a side note on this. The person who started the trend of pulling socks up over the knees has a lot to answer for. Next it will be hair clasps and pink boots. Oh wait ....

Hate the socks over the knees, becoming more prevalent these days, seem to remember Liam Craig favoured it.

strummbo
02-01-2017, 12:59 PM
im struck by how much thinner the average supporter was. looking at the 7-0 game and others incl Scotland games...

bunch o' chubbies now likes...

oldbutdim
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Hate the socks over the knees, becoming more prevalent these days, seem to remember Liam Craig favoured it.

Should be a cautionable offence.

Same with neck tattoos, and manbuns.

jgl07
02-01-2017, 01:05 PM
I certainly recall Jim Herriot not wearing gloves....and also Alan Rough at times...although I seem to recall him also wearing gloves sometimes. can't recall many (any?) Hibs goalkeeper after that not wearing gloves....

He always wore them when he stuffed his hand up a cow's arse!

Lago
02-01-2017, 01:06 PM
im struck by how much thinner the average supporter was. looking at the 7-0 game and others incl Scotland games...

Talking of supporters being thin, they also all wore flat caps, even the boys.

James70
02-01-2017, 01:17 PM

:hilarious:hilarious

Bishop Hibee
02-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Goalie gloves became the norm in the 70s. I can remember the storm in a teacup over the gloves worn by Sepp Maier, the West German keeper in the 1974 World Cup. There was discussion about making them illegal due to the thickness of the padding increasing the hand size. Soon every keeper wore something similar.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Ball boys were brought in as comic relief for Fatty Foulkes to make him look even bigger.

Itsnoteasy
02-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Deep fried Mars bars & Walkers crisps were not the staple diet back then.
Chewing gum, chews & macaroon bars were.

heretoday
02-01-2017, 06:45 PM
It's when outfield players wear gloves I start to worry. What a bunch of softies!

Jonnyboy
02-01-2017, 06:50 PM
When did goalies stop wearing a cap when sunshine is right in their faces?

Carheenlea
02-01-2017, 07:01 PM
When did subs start warming up on the pitch at half time? Used to be if someone was out warming up, you knew a HT change was being made. Now, with full training, 10 second challenges, kids knockabouts and Happy Hibby Half Time Draws the pitch takes more punishment during the half time interval than the 90 minutes itself.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Out of curiosity, when did players start wearing shin guards?

ancient hibee
02-01-2017, 07:03 PM

In in the days of "questions For the ref"one of the regular posers was what happened if the goalie prevented a goal by throwing his cap at the ball.Needless to say the answer was always fudged.Even as a kid I thought that the chance of it happening was somewhere in the million to one slot.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2017, 07:06 PM

I think when most of us realised it was totally pointless.

Colr
02-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Deep fried Mars bars & Walkers crisps were not the staple diet back then.
Chewing gum, chews & macaroon bars were.

Cup of oxo and a mutton pie.

Lago
02-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Funny thiught they had always been worn.

ancient hibee
02-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I first wore mine in 1952.

mim
02-01-2017, 07:30 PM

Believe it, or believe it not, but they were introduced to football in the year that Hearts were formed.
Coincidence?? I think not :greengrin

lapsedhibee
02-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Funny thiught they had always been worn.

Unless you're a Hibee rebel!

Billy Whizz
02-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Believe it, or believe it not, but they were introduced to football in the year that Hearts were formed.
Coincidence?? I think not :greengrin

Thanks, and I get your point😄

iwasthere1972
02-01-2017, 07:52 PM
No substitutes back in the good old days when players just shook hands instead of all this kissing and cuddling that goes on.

Bunch of softies.

Haymaker
02-01-2017, 08:13 PM

They were always available to wear I think they became compulsory in the mid 80s?

SouthMoroccoStu
02-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Christ! Please tell me he was also a farmer or a vet

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Christ! Please tell me he was also a farmer or a vet

He loved all creatures great and small.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Why aren't modern day knocks cured by the magic sponge?

brianmc
02-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Why aren't modern day knocks cured by the magic sponge?

Health and safety gone mad....... Probably

tamig
02-01-2017, 09:17 PM
When did the wee light blue disabled cars disappear from the tracks round the grounds? Was that only a Scottish thing or were they around in England too?

ACLeith
02-01-2017, 09:23 PM
And you needed to buy a programme to know what the half time scores were.

And buy the Pink or Green to read match reports.

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
When did the wee light blue disabled cars disappear from the tracks round the grounds? Was that only a Scottish thing or were they around in England too?

The mobility Range Rovers were just too big to accommodate.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Used to see these all round the ground

Kaiser1962
02-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Or boot polish? No face cream or any of that namby pamby stuff for Herriot, boot polish around the eyes back in the day. I was a young boy and thought that we had a member of the undead in goals.

Lago
02-01-2017, 09:30 PM

Brilliant, took me right back to my boyhood, thanks:agree:

Smartie
02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
I've always wondered why there were sometimes cars parked at the sides of pitches when watching old clips.

WS Hibs
02-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Was watching the 7-0 highlights yesterday (obviously :greengrin) and loved those blue cars lined up against the side of the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppM_MbCh4cA&t=1s

Been beaten to it but nice to join in with the nostalgia :thumbsup:

lyonhibs
02-01-2017, 09:52 PM
I think when most of us realised it was totally pointless.

This 😂

Why was Jim Leighton the only goalie ever to slap on the vaseline?

bigwheel
02-01-2017, 10:01 PM

I'm pretty sure the writer actually took his name from our goalie...

ACLeith
02-01-2017, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the writer actually took his name from our goalie...

Yup. He saw him play a blinder for Birmingham one night and the rest is history

West lower
02-01-2017, 10:17 PM
This 😂

Why was Jim Leighton the only goalie ever to slap on the vaseline?

Had he heard of Jim Herriot's reputation ?

cmcd
02-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Ronnie Simpson never wore gloves

jacomo
02-01-2017, 10:19 PM

Whereas players have gone the other way...

Lago
02-01-2017, 10:20 PM
As I read through this thread, what started as a 2 question post, morph as they often do, into pure nostalgia. Well here is another one, as a boy going to the match with my Dad I remember the old men smoked pipes and there was always the smell of pipe tobacco all around the ground. Also the New Year game had the old, to me, guys bring out their half bottles and wishing each other a happy new year, along with a nip.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2017, 10:26 PM

:tsk tsk:

iwasthere1972
02-01-2017, 10:29 PM
When did clubs stop liftovers?

tamig
02-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Was watching the 7-0 highlights yesterday (obviously :greengrin) and loved those blue cars lined up against the side of the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppM_MbCh4cA&t=1s

Been beaten to it but nice to join in with the nostalgia :thumbsup:

I haven't seen that extended version of the game before so thanks for the link. The Youtube subtitling is hilarious. Check out what comes up for Donald "Park". 😂

jgl07
03-01-2017, 01:28 AM
It was exactly the same in England.

Yorkshire HFC
03-01-2017, 05:56 AM

Games used to finish at 4.40pm - now it's nearer 4.50 - how did that happen?

CentreLine
03-01-2017, 06:28 AM

I got my first pair of goalie gloves from Ronnie Simpson in his shop on Rose Street about 1969/70. They had no padding but had raised rubber strips on the fingers and palms.

CentreLine
03-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Players used to come out with fresh and pressed kit after half time.

Niffy
03-01-2017, 06:51 AM
You weren't allowed to start the game with shirts out, I mind Darren Jackson would pull his shirt out as soon as the whistle blew for kick off.

Keith_M
03-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Whatever happened to the younger fans tying their scarves in a knot, similar to a Tie?

Anybody that just hung their scarves over their shoulders was considered a bit 'poofy' (no, we weren't very PC either ;-) )

micka_weer
03-01-2017, 08:17 AM
The 'shirts tucked in, socks pulled up' was somehow tied into the 'FairPlay' point system for a couple of years, I'm sure. So, whilst not compulsory, players were encouraged to look tidy.

superfurryhibby
03-01-2017, 09:08 AM

I think the half time break was extended from 10 to 15 minutes. Loadae pish if you ask me. Game loses momentum.

When did clubs stop liftovers?

When the bassas put the extended barriers in. Certainly by the early 90's.

We never see the ploughed field muddy pitches that were so common in the 1970's. Check out old footage and it seems incredible that games were played on the equivalent of your local stubble field after a deluge.

Fat players as well. Rarely see a beer gut on a football pitch these days. Plenty less than slimcea figures in days of yore. Apart from wee fat Joe, seem to recall Bobby Murdoch of Celtic being particularly less than trim in figure.

lapsedhibee
03-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Fat players as well. Rarely see a beer gut on a football pitch these days. Plenty less than slimcea figures in days of yore. Apart from wee fat Joe, seem to recall Bobby Murdoch of Celtic being particularly less than trim in figure.

How quickly the memory of our SC win fades. :wink:

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2017, 09:34 AM
And you needed to buy a programme to know what the half time scores were.

And buy the Pink or Green to read match reports.

As a wee boy in mid 70s used to love watching the numbers go up against the letters in the scoreboard at the Dunbar End corner. And then writing them down on the back page of my grandad's programme. Still have some of these programmes today with the handwritten ht scores.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Do you still get orange balls on snow covered pitches?

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Do you still get orange balls on snow covered pitches?

Depends on your underwear.

Lago
03-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Short shorts, Souness with his rolled up to show off his legs always comes to mind

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Football boots that came with a spanner to change the studs and plastic ones had to swapped for metal ones.

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
As a wee boy in mid 70s used to love watching the numbers go up against the letters in the scoreboard at the Dunbar End corner. And then writing them down on the back page of my grandad's programme. Still have some of these programmes today with the handwritten ht scores.

I remember not long after the installation of our first electronic scoreboard the letters next to the day's other matches reappeared in the programme. At half time the scoreboard, which had previously given the scores in full, started showing A 1-0, B 1-1, etc. The crowd weren't amused. A couple of minutes later the stadium announcer said "now for the half time scores" which was greeted by ironic cheering all round, until he started "A 1-0, B 1-1 ..."

I thought there was going to be a riot.

Things were back to normal for the next match. :greengrin

tamig
03-01-2017, 10:49 AM
I remember not long after the installation of our first electronic scoreboard the letters next to the day's other matches reappeared in the programme. At half time the scoreboard, which had previously given the scores in full, started showing A 1-0, B 1-1, etc. The crowd weren't amused. A couple of minutes later the stadium announcer said "now for the half time scores" which was greeted by ironic cheering all round, until he started "A 1-0, B 1-1 ..."

I thought there was going to be a riot.

Things were back to normal for the next match. :greengrin

Remember that! Think it was in the KW days and fan power saw the full scores returned.

WoreTheGreen
03-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Short shorts, Souness with his rolled up to show off his legs always comes to mind

Sitting on the pitchside wall and smelling the linimament oil coming off the players as they warmed up.Alex Edwards also stood wide and pinged crossfield balls with no effort at all

jeffers
03-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Talk of Alan Rough and gloves reminds me of a game at ER where I watched him open a bag of sweeties, toffees by the look of them. He took one out the packet unwrapped it and put it in his mouth only for the wrapper to stick to his gloves. Was quite comical watching him transfer it from one glove to another til he finally managed to get rid of it. All taking place while the game was going on.

Times have changed that's for sure.

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Talk of Alan Rough and gloves reminds me of a game at ER where I watched him open a bag of sweeties, toffees by the look of them. He took one out the packet unwrapped it and put it in his mouth only for the wrapper to stick to his gloves. Was quite comical watching him transfer it from one glove to another til he finally managed to get rid of it. All taking place while the game was going on.

Times have changed that's for sure.

I remember a pre season tour to Moray coast. Hibs had just played Elgin City (won 3-1 I think). Probably about 1985. After game in supporters club. In walks Roughie with another player. "Alright lads....pint please". Then sinks it in a oner...."see you lads". And was gone.

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 11:39 AM
I remember a pre season tour to Moray coast. Hibs had just played Elgin City (won 3-1 I think). Probably about 1985. After game in supporters club. In walks Roughie with another player. "Alright lads....pint please". Then sinks it in a oner...."see you lads". And was gone.

I remember he was last on 'Superstars'.

weecounty hibby
03-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Roughie is a legend in the Scottish game and rightly so. I remember him and Gordon Rae attended the Alloa HSC POTY dance in 1986 as Alan won the award. Both were great to talk to, danced most of the night, had a few beers and were then put into a taxi for the journey home. Roughie was flying out to the Mexico World Cup with the Scotland squad the next day!!

ancient hibee
03-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Photographers sitting on their camera cases behind the goals.

Phil MaGlass
03-01-2017, 12:16 PM
I think the half time break was extended from 10 to 15 minutes. Loadae pish if you ask me. Game loses momentum.

We never see the ploughed field muddy pitches that were so common in the 1970's. Check out old footage and it seems incredible that games were played on the equivalent of your local stubble field after a deluge.

you never been to Tannadice?

HoboHarry
03-01-2017, 12:30 PM

What about one of my own personal Hibs favourites, Ally McLeod? Can you imagine the abuse he would have taken in these days of the internet and the internet bampots that get access to it?

Keith_M
03-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Whatever happened to Ron Manager?

:wink:

Hibernia&Alba
03-01-2017, 12:36 PM

When did they stop making those? I remember them at fitba grounds! Never see them now.

Hibernia&Alba
03-01-2017, 12:38 PM

80s short shorts were obscene. Meat and two veg on display everywhere.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2017, 01:31 PM

FIFA didn't have a specific uniform regulation about shirt tucking. But the laws of the game used to instruct officials to make sure the players maintain a "tidy appearance throughout the match (shirts tucked into shorts and socks pulled up)."

It doesn't say that anymore.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2017, 01:43 PM
It's funny when you see an old clip and the keeper grabs a cross and runs to the 18 yard line, bouncing the ball every couple of steps. :hilarious

lord bunberry
03-01-2017, 01:53 PM
It's funny when you see an old clip and the keeper grabs a cross and runs to the 18 yard line, bouncing the ball every couple of steps. :hilarious

Or when the keeper would roll it out to the defender who would take a couple of touches and pass it back to him. Time wasting was much easier back then.

Smartie
03-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Remember when there was a restriction on the number of steps a keeper could make, so they did that weird gliding lunge step thing to advance as far as possible before hoofing it from as close to the edge of their box as they could get?

HoboHarry
03-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Remember when there was a restriction on the number of steps a keeper could make, so they did that weird gliding lunge step thing to advance as far as possible before hoofing it from as close to the edge of their box as they could get?

Or clubs who just signed galoots like Peter McCloy who could cover 3 metres with a single step...... :wink:

snooky
03-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Pre-sub days when the centre half (or indeed any player) moved to the left wing if he got injured - as Jackie Charlton did when Scotland gubbed the World Champions way back when.

tamig
03-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Pre-sub days when the centre half moved to the left wing if he got injured - as Jackie Charlton did when Scotland gubbed the World Champions way back when.

Or outfield players taking over between the sticks.

worcesterhibby
03-01-2017, 03:07 PM
in the good old days when players just shook hands instead of all this kissing and cuddling that goes on.

Bunch of softies.

I hear this all the time and it's nonsense, players have been cuddling each other after a goal since footage of football exists. Quick example below 1950 cup final..scroll to about 5min 30secs...anyway..what's wrong with a wee cuddle ! :greengrin the second clip is more cuddling in the 1932 cup final !

https://youtu.be/T6J9-14ZzAw

https://youtu.be/vxF6pgEunEo

HoboHarry
03-01-2017, 03:13 PM
I hear this all the time and it's nonsense, players have been cuddling each other after a goal since footage of football exists. Quick example below 1950 cup final..scroll to about 5min 30secs...anyway..what's wrong with a wee cuddle ! :greengrin If you argue I will find at least 10 other 1950's examples easily.:na na:
Hell and high water wouldn't have made me cuddle Davie Dodds..........

Baader
03-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Two points for a win. Seems very silly now although I remember often our league position would've been better had it stayed that way!

Glory Lurker
03-01-2017, 03:25 PM
I hear this all the time and it's nonsense, players have been cuddling each other after a goal since footage of football exists. Quick example below 1950 cup final..scroll to about 5min 30secs...anyway.

Not to be confused with Harry Enfield Arsenal (33) v Liverpool (91), that I unfortunately can't get the YouTube URL for.

Keith_M
03-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Jumpers for goalposts.

Keith_M
03-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Not to be confused with Harry Enfield Arsenal (33) v Liverpool (91), that I unfortunately can't get the YouTube URL for.

HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CXY6TVBMc&t=83s) you go

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2017, 06:24 PM
The Everton toffee lady walking around Goodison throwing toffees into the crowd.

superfurryhibby
03-01-2017, 06:26 PM
What about one of my own personal Hibs favourites, Ally McLeod? Can you imagine the abuse he would have taken in these days of the internet and the internet bampots that get access to it?

Ally was a skinny guy naturally, but I suspect he liked a good feed/bevvy and didnae train/play like man posessed. He could however, bamboozle an opponent, pass in a semi visionary way and score fantastic goals He wouldn't get away with it in the modern game. The pace and fitness levels required would have demanded he be more of an athlete.

Glamour European nights. Under floodlights (sometimes), the exotic nature of opposition like Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool, Juventus and Leeds Utd. I was blessed to see the Tornadoes, even if I was of an age where the memories are more like powerful impressions than anything else.

Climbing in to ER was another long standing memory of that era. My auld man (folks were divorced) wasn't keen on taking me to games v the Old Firm or Hearts. A move down to Elbe St in Leith in 1972, aged8, soon had me making my way up to the ground. Very rare were the times we never got in. Many a tale connected to gaining entry......

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Passing folk over your head to the front of the Kop so they could get medical attention.

Canon Hannan
03-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Talking of supporters being thin, they also all wore flat caps, even the boys.

Was it true Hibs fans wore caps and Hearts never over the piece? Something to do with working class Leith Dockers and West End Bankers? My Grandad told me this.

Lago
03-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Was it true Hibs fans wore caps and Hearts never over the piece? Something to do with working class Leith Dockers and West End Bankers? My Grandad told me this.

Bit of an urban mith

Smartie
03-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Is it not the case that traditionally Leith Dockers would support Hearts - there tended to be more of a protestant, freemasonic element to getting a job there?

The area has only become predominantly a Hibs area "relatively" (still ages ago mind) recently.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Is it not the case that traditionally Leith Dockers would support Hearts - there tended to be more of a protestant, freemasonic element to getting a job there?

The area has only become predominantly a Hibs area "relatively" (still ages ago mind) recently.

Yeah i have family from Leith, mostly were all Hearts fans, probably for those reasons.

Keith_M
03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Whatever happened to still being in Europe after August?

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Yeah i have family from Leith, mostly were all Hearts fans, probably for those reasons.

I know of at least 2 Leith families who swung toward Hearts because Hibs prevented Leith Athletic from entering the Scottish league. Apparently feelings ran pretty high at the time.

weecounty hibby
03-01-2017, 07:21 PM
I know of at least 2 Leith families who swung toward Hearts because Hibs prevented Leith Athletic from entering the Scottish league. Apparently feelings ran pretty high at the time.
What's the story behind this? It's not something I've heard much about

O'Rourke3
03-01-2017, 07:29 PM
1sub then 2 subs.Linesmen, one with a red flag and the other with yellow.The golden goal competition. Kia ora in the kiosks. Pink Bri-nylon jackets on the people selling Kia ora and chewing gum pitch side....

Lago
03-01-2017, 07:44 PM
The tackle from behind, just to let him know you were there.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Or outfield players taking over between the sticks.

Funny a few mates and I were recently talking about a game at Celtic Park a few years back.

Jim Leighton needed stitches so Darren Jackson took over in goals for a period, he made a hash of a cross and we lost a goal. Leighton reappeared on the touchline and the linesman signalled he was ok to come back on, Jackson took off his goalkeepers top and gave Jim his gloves back. Ref then decided there was still blood visible so wouldn't let him back on, ref then restarted the game and played for about a minute with Hibs having no goalkeeper. Players were screaming at him but he just seemed totally oblivious and lost the plot.

Also remember both Andy Millen and Willie Miller playing in goals for us when Leighton and Budgie were sent off.

Edit - highlights from the Leighton/Jackson game:

https://youtu.be/eI_W5B7wATs

Mr White
03-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Funny a few mates and I were recently talking about a game at Celtic Park a few years back.

Jim Leighton needed stitches so Darren Jackson took over in goals for a period, he made a hash of a cross and we lost a goal. Leighton reappeared on the touchline and the linesman signalled he was ok to come back on, Jackson took off his goalkeepers top and gave Jim his gloves back. Ref then decided there was still blood visible so wouldn't let him back on, ref then restarted the game and played for about a minute with Hibs having no goalkeeper. Players were screaming at him but he just seemed totally oblivious and lost the plot.

Also remember both Andy Millen and Willie Miller playing in goals for us when Leighton and Budgie were sent off.

I think Graham Mitchell also had a shot in goals once around that time. I can't remember the circumstances or opposition though.

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 08:03 PM

I remember a match at Ibrox where Jackie Mac scored an OG with a 40 yard pass back. Jim McArthur went off injured and Arthur Duncan took the gloves. He lost a goal straight away from a corner but played a blinder thereafter. IIRC we also missed a penalty and eventually lost 3-2.

Mental stuff.

CentreLine
03-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Bring back the sweets, juice and crisps sellers parading around the track !!!

bigwheel
03-01-2017, 08:10 PM

in the late 1800"s when "Little Ireland" became very densely populated and overflowing, Leith became a second settling place from quite a lot of the irish catholic immigrants...so I'd expect it would have had Hibs leaning supporters from fairly early on in the history of Hibs....

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 08:16 PM
What's the story behind this? It's not something I've heard much about
Leith Athletic were in and out the league right up to the 50s. There was a couple of times when both Hibs and Hearts both voted against their re-election but apparently in the mid 50s it was mostly Hibs/Harry Swan (who was probably at his most influential) who blocked their way, resulting in Athletic going down the tubes.

One Hearts fan that I knew pretty well told me all about it (I've forgotten the details) and how his father came to hate Hibs at the time. This was an Irish Catholic family from the Fort in Leith who became rabid jambos.

cmcd
03-01-2017, 08:23 PM
:tsk tsk:

Light gloves depended on the weather but certainly not like todays and let's not forget the balls were leather with a lace Ouch

Smartie
03-01-2017, 08:24 PM
in the late 1800"s when "Little Ireland" became very densely populated and overflowing, Leith became a second settling place from quite a lot of the irish catholic immigrants...so I'd expect it would have had Hibs leaning supporters from fairly early on in the history of Hibs....

It has.

But traditional bigotries prevented them from easily finding employment in one of the area's biggest employers - the Docks. Therefore "Leith Dockers" were more likely to be Hearts fans, in spite of the fact that there were many Irish who lived nearby, and that Hibs' ground was closer.

Or so I was led to believe. I may well be wrong as I have absolutely no idea where I picked this up from.

weecounty hibby
03-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Leith Athletic were in and out the league right up to the 50s. There was a couple of times when both Hibs and Hearts both voted against their re-election but apparently in the mid 50s it was mostly Hibs/Harry Swan (who was probably at his most influential) who blocked their way, resulting in Athletic going down the tubes.

One Hearts fan that I knew pretty well told me all about it (I've forgotten the details) and how his father came to hate Hibs at the time. This was an Irish Catholic family from the Fort in Leith who became rabid jambos.
Thanks for that. I always thought we had had a good relationship with LA and didn't know we were partly to blame for their demise. Thought we used their strips/ socks or something like that way back when. Having never lived in or had family from Edinburgh/Leith I never knew any of that

Nakedmanoncrack
03-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Ally was a skinny guy naturally, but I suspect he liked a good feed/bevvy and didnae train/play like man posessed. He could however, bamboozle an opponent, pass in a semi visionary way and score fantastic goals He wouldn't get away with it in the modern game. The pace and fitness levels required would have demanded he be more of an athlete.

Glamour European nights. Under floodlights (sometimes), the exotic nature of opposition like Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool, Juventus and Leeds Utd. I was blessed to see the Tornadoes, even if I was of an age where the memories are more like powerful impressions than anything else.

Climbing in to ER was another long standing memory of that era. My auld man (folks were divorced) wasn't keen on taking me to games v the Old Firm or Hearts. A move down to Elbe St in Leith in 1972, aged8, soon had me making my way up to the ground. Very rare were the times we never got in. Many a tale connected to gaining entry......

Ally MacLeod was my favourite player of the time, always seen as somewhat rotund - yet unlike a lot of players didn't pile on weight when he stopped playing, I met him last year and he was in great shape, still looked same as he did 35 yrs ago.

bigwheel
03-01-2017, 08:33 PM
It has.

But traditional bigotries prevented them from easily finding employment in one of the area's biggest employers - the Docks. Therefore "Leith Dockers" were more likely to be Hearts fans, in spite of the fact that there were many Irish who lived nearby, and that Hibs' ground was closer.

Or so I was led to believe. I may well be wrong as I have absolutely no idea where I picked this up from.

I'm sure that is highly likely to be true !

Speedway
03-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Whatever happened to players turning up at the ground, realising they'd forgotten their kit and having to play the whole match in the nuddy?

tamig
03-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I think Graham Mitchell also had a shot in goals once around that time. I can't remember the circumstances or opposition though.

I'm sure Mitch was in goal at Tannadice. Think Budgie got sent off early doors and me and my mates were delayed in the pub. When we got up the stairs we all said "who's the ginger c*** in goals"?!

ancient hibee
03-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Whatever happened to players turning up at the ground, realising they'd forgotten their kit and having to play the whole match in the nuddy?
Or Joe Baker walking down to ER from the Caley Station just in time to kick off against Barcelona.

heretoday
03-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Bring back the sweets, juice and crisps sellers parading around the track !!!

All the half-times and racing reeeezults!

heretoday
03-01-2017, 10:32 PM

I've noticed that in this age of building from the back and tic-tac play the pass back to the goalie seldom attracts jeers and boos from opposing fans.

In fact any booing is likely to be from your own fans, keen to see the team get forward.

heretoday
03-01-2017, 10:41 PM

Half-times are longer to allow clubs to fleece the fans for food and drinks.

Peevemor
03-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Half-times are longer to allow clubs to fleece the fans for food and drinks.
Above all to accommodate more adverts during the increased number of televised matches.

lyonhibs
04-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Listing where a ref came from in televised matches. I can understand why it stopped, but when did it stop?

Keith_M
04-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Listing where a ref came from in televised matches. I can understand why it stopped, but when did it stop?

As soon as it became obvious to the viewers that there was a disproportionate number of refs from certain areas of Ayrshire and Lanarkshire, e.g Larkhall

Carheenlea
04-01-2017, 10:28 AM
When did Hearts and Celtic fans stop throwing bananas at black players?

Peevemor
04-01-2017, 10:48 AM

I think it was about 2000, after the man from Bonkle's house was targetted after an old firm match.

Lago
04-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Well 2 questions about glooves & shirts turned into a lovely meander through some of the past years of football. I really enjoyed reading everyone reminiscences, thank you:aok:

Marco G
05-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Well 2 questions about glooves & shirts turned into a lovely meander through some of the past years of football. I really enjoyed reading everyone reminiscences, thank you:aok:
Bit late in the day, but for me the biggest change is how we watch football. I know someone who worked in TV in the 60s. His job was to project freshly developed film of the day's game onto a special tv camera. First half highlights were being shown while second half was being edited and spliced.
If you wanted to see Real Madrid you had to wait until they did a tour or you got them in a European cup match. Some night when we beat them 2-0 but cant even remember if highlights were televised!
Now anyone with a smartphone can watch any football anytime. We have to hope that kindles interest in going to a live game, not involving "Real Madrid" type teams! Friday's sell out suggests that still nothing can beat being at a meaningful match.

superfurryhibby
05-01-2017, 08:14 AM
It has.

As an aside to this, Protestant Action, an anti Catholic political party, had elected representatives on the city council in the 1930's. One of them was voted in as the Councillor for a ward in Leith (John Mc Cormack).

snooky
05-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Whereza "Erza Macaroon Bars" man these days?

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Whereza "Erza Macaroon Bars" man these days?

He's been outsourced to China.

KeithTheHibby
05-01-2017, 08:50 AM
As soon as it became obvious to the viewers that there was a disproportionate number of refs from certain areas of Ayrshire and Lanarkshire, e.g Larkhall

Hugh Dallas from Bonkle!

ancient hibee
05-01-2017, 08:54 AM
As an aside to this, Protestant Action, an anti Catholic political party, had elected representatives on the city council in the 1930's. One of them was voted in as the Councillor for a ward in Leith (John Mc Cormack).

And was still going strong in the 1950s.

Keith_M
05-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Whatever happened to the good old days of marching along Albert St and then up Leith Walk after games against Hearts or the Old Firm and fighting with away fans in front of the Playhouse.

All the good old traditions seem to be lost... I blame smartphones and internet porn.

snooky
05-01-2017, 09:11 AM
I recall the person who put the half time scores up at the south east corner used to wind the crowd up by hovering the plate with a 4 on it then changing it at the last minute for a 0 when putting up the Hearts HT result.
I was never 100% he did it deliberately though :wink:

Alfiembra
05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Not been to ER in a while, do the teams still stay on the park at half time in a huddle and eat sliced up oranges? :hmmm:

snooky
05-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Not been to ER in a while, do the teams still stay on the park at half time in a huddle and eat sliced up oranges? :hmmm:

Ended after Rodney Marsh's comment to Alf Ramsey in 1971 :wink: ....
(see 'International career' section
here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Marsh_(footballer) )

Pretty Boy
05-01-2017, 11:35 AM
I miss teams running out seperately.

Away team ran out towards their end to a chorus of boos followed a few seconds later by the home team to a cheer. Don't really like, or understand the point in, both teams marching out together.

King conrad
05-01-2017, 11:40 AM

don't know about that was watching the stoke game the other night and Charlie Adam is pretty close

Pretty Boy
05-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Hibs fans being accommodated in the south stand :devil:

lapsedhibee
05-01-2017, 01:24 PM
I recall the person who put the half time scores up at the south east corner used to wind the crowd up by hovering the plate with a 4 on it then changing it at the last minute for a 0 when putting up the Hearts HT result.

Defo deliberate.

Marco G
05-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Before those days you had to buy a programme to decipher the half time scores. Otherwise all you knew was that match A was 0-1, match B 2-0 etc. At least that is my memory of it!

Lago
05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Seems there is still a bit of life left inthis thread so here is another which I don't think has been mentioned yet, no televised football in Scotland if any Scottish senior team was playing on the day. Use to think Ernie Walker & Jim Farrey were real kill joys, but now seeing how the game has gone with TV money think they were visionaries.

snooky
05-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Seems there is still a bit of life left inthis thread so here is another which I don't think has been mentioned yet, no televised football in Scotland if any Scottish senior team was playing on the day. Use to think Ernie Walker & Jim Farrey were real kill joys, but now seeing how the game has gone with TV money think they were visionaries.

In the ostrich sense? :greengrin
That said, I think you're right in the fact that TV & money have created a horrible monster in the game.

McD
05-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Being able to buy a Pink with the days match reports.

Especially those reports that had to be finalised before the final whistle, so they told you it was not yet finished, and occasionally had a different result :greengrin

where'stheslope
05-01-2017, 06:39 PM
I noticed no one has mentioned all the different types of goal frames.

Easter Road were round.

Ibrox and Hampden were 4" square.

Tynecastle were oval.

Parkhead were smaller square.

Always remember after certain games, people would discuss if we had hit the post here it would have gone in, and if it hit there it would have bounced out.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Easter Road were round.

Tynecastle were oval.

Always remember after certain games, people would discuss if we had hit the post here it would have gone in, and if it hit there it would have bounced out.

A few years back St Etienne bought the old square Hampden goalposts.

They thought they would have won the 1976 European Cup final had the posts been round as 2 shots would have bounced in rather than out after hitting the post. I believe they are on display in the club museum.

Glory Lurker
05-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Sorry if already mentioned, but Sportsound on a Saturday not being allowed to say until about half three which game they'd be commentating live from, then getting last few minutes of first half and second half from that game.

Marco G
05-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Being able to buy a Pink with the days match reports.

Especially those reports that had to be finalised before the final whistle, so they told you it was not yet finished, and occasionally had a different result :greengrin
And the Green Dispatch? Needed to look in the "Stop Press" column at the edge of the front page for some late final scores.

Remember also pals down in Blackpool for a do, who saw teleprinter scores coming through on BBC in TV shop showing "Dùnfermline 5 Hibernian 6" , and thinking, - another missprint, hell, we must have lost 5 nil.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-01-2017, 08:48 PM
When the away end at Tynie was the other end that we get now.

Marco G
05-01-2017, 09:02 PM
When the away end at Tynie was the other end that we get now.
When both sets of fans were together? At the 0-7 we were passing our half-bottles to some hearts fans beside us to help deaden their pain!

CropleyWasGod
05-01-2017, 10:03 PM
I remember a match at Ibrox where Jackie Mac scored an OG with a 40 yard pass back. Jim McArthur went off injured and Arthur Duncan took the gloves. He lost a goal straight away from a corner but played a blinder thereafter. IIRC we also missed a penalty and eventually lost 3-2.

Mental stuff.
The day my eldest was born.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

snooky
05-01-2017, 10:19 PM

Easter Road were round.

Tynecastle were oval.

Goal lines were moved one yard behind the goal posts for one day only on 10th March 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF95JOxsWq0

lapsedhibee
06-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Goal lines were moved one yard behind the goal posts for one day only on 10th March 2013.

Probably still over.

lapsedhibee
06-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Evening matches used to start at half seven.