PDA

View Full Version : Laidlaw

givescotlandfreedom
01-01-2017, 03:25 AM
I thought he played well with what he had to do yesterday. Made a couple of great saves at their goal and wasn't to blame for his defence not dealing with Sibbald getting yet another chance and did well with everything else he had to do. Bar one kick out in thought that was decent too. He seems an able replacement to Marciano so far.

theonlywayisup
01-01-2017, 11:01 AM
I said the same on the way back from the game. Thought he did well.

Billy Whizz
01-01-2017, 11:33 AM
We're lucky to have such a good player as our back up goalie.

Hamish
01-01-2017, 11:39 AM
I would think it would have been a Grant Murray recommendation as he had him at Raith.

col02
01-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Steady keeper capable of making some very good saves. Lucky we have both him and Marciano.

BoomtownHibees
01-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Showed a good bit of skill when he skinned the striker

hibby6270
01-01-2017, 01:02 PM
I've said it before and can only repeat. Laidlaw hasn't let us down yet. Hope saying this hasn't jinxed him.:wink:

3pm
01-01-2017, 01:05 PM
One of the better signings. Unfortunately for him, so is Marciano.

Sergey
01-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Tin hat on here, but I thought Laidlaw could have done better in the penalty shoot-out against Brondby. IIRC, he guessed correctly with all the penalties yet failed to get any sort of meaningful contact on the ball.

That aside, he does look a decent acquisition.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Big shout for the manager with regards to how long Laidlaw keeps the jersey for when Merciano is ready to play.

The Modfather
01-01-2017, 02:21 PM
I've said it before and can only repeat. Laidlaw hasn't let us down yet. Hope saying this hasn't jinxed him.:wink:

Sure he got caught under a cross for one of the QOTS goals in the league cup. All keepers make mistakes though and he has been fairly solid every time I've seen him.

Bostonhibby
01-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Very good keeper to have, happy to see him on the same level as marciano and competition for the Jersey rather than back up

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

HibsNutter
01-01-2017, 02:34 PM
The save before their man tapped it in was outstanding, didn't deserve to concede from that move.

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Decent back up from what I've seen. What's his shots to save ratio? Seems to rarely keep a clean sheet.

Berwickhibby
01-01-2017, 07:02 PM
My only criticism is that he stays on his line and does not come and collect crosses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smartie
01-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Sure he got caught under a cross for one of the QOTS goals in the league cup. All keepers make mistakes though and he has been fairly solid every time I've seen him.

I was a bit unsure of him at that point - as was mentioned above, I was also a bit concerned about how many penalties he got near to but didn't look like saving in the Brondby game.

Since Rocky got injured though I've been impressed by him. Good handling, he's kept his concentration well, has looked decent with the ball at his feet and he's made some decent saves. He was horribly unlucky to lose the goal yesterday, his good save before it deserved better.

Given the shysters we've had as number ones over the years, it is great to have so solid a backup.

Andy74
01-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Big shout for the manager with regards to how long Laidlaw keeps the jersey for when Merciano is ready to play.

Not really. Marciano will be back in as soon as available.

Foritza
01-01-2017, 09:22 PM
The save before their man tapped it in was outstanding, didn't deserve to concede from that move.

Agree that save was outstanding and did not deserve to lose a goal at that moment. But was similar to the goal we lost at Morton. Failure to clear at decisive moments and Zonal marking has been the reason we have lost goals this season and lost points. Have any of you noticed how we defend corners ? Three defenders along the six yard box line . If you look at how the goals we have lost this season the majority have been from corners or crosses and not from open play.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Not really. Marciano will be back in as soon as available.

Dropping an in form keeper would be a big decision. Not sure that I like the idea that any player knows that he is a shoe in.

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Dropping an in form keeper would be a big decision. Not sure that I like the idea that any player knows that he is a shoe in.

It's always different for keepers to other positions.

BoomtownHibees
01-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Marciano will be back in when fit

B.H.F.C
01-01-2017, 10:10 PM

Not a big decision whatsoever. Marciano is the number 1 and comes back in as soon as he's available. I don't think we have looked quite so solid in the last couple of weeks either. Marciano just has more of a presence about him IMO and brings more of a calmness to the defence.

Laidlaw hasn't done anything wrong but hasn't done anything spectacular either. He knows his role is to cover when Marciano isn't available.

Sergey
01-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Marciano will be back in when fit

That is nothing more than an uneducated guess.

You know nowt, bud.

Andy74
01-01-2017, 10:29 PM

You know nowt, bud.

It happened the last time and will the next time. Lennon has repeatedly said Marciano is first choice and Laidlaw knows his role.

Until it happens it is a guess but a fairly educated one.

BoomtownHibees
01-01-2017, 10:30 PM

You know nowt, bud.

We will see 🤓

I'd class it as an educated guess based on him being number 1 and more often than not a manager will look to get his main man back in the team as soon as he can.

BoomtownHibees
01-01-2017, 10:31 PM
It happened the last time and will the next time. Lennon has repeatedly said Marciano is first choice and Laidlaw knows his role.

Until it happens it is a guess but a fairly educated one.

Correct. Mr Know It All might know better tho

where'stheslope
03-01-2017, 01:16 PM
My only criticism is that he stays on his line and does not come and collect crosses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not many keepers are required to come for crosses nowadays.

The amount of players in and around the penalty area at corners and free kicks make it more risky to come for the cross.

Mostly goalkeepers stay on the line and shot stop, rather than run out into players who make it their job to get in the way.

Best keeper around at the moment is Craig Gordon at Celtic, and he very rarely comes for crosses, its all about his reactions to shot stop.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2017, 08:29 PM
We've got ourselves a keeper here btw

21sMay
06-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Great save at 2-0 and great kicking all game . Deserves to keep his place

calumhibee1
06-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Glad he awoke from his nap for his one solitary save.

R'Albin
06-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Has anyone else noticed that he seems to have bulked up since the summer? Might just be the long sleeves that give that appearance but his shoulders look a lot bigger to me.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Glad he awoke from his nap for his one solitary save.

Always the sign of a good keeper imo. Being able to keep concentration and make only 1 or 2 saves when called upon is a skill in itself.

Chip shop Joe
06-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Thought his distribution was superb today. Makes a difference to see accurate kicking rather than aimless punts up the park!

QMU-1875
06-01-2017, 09:00 PM
For me that save is the key moment in the game. That goes in its 2-1 and it's game on. Great reflexes, positions himself well and getting better all the time at kicking. If Ofir wasn't around he'd deservedly be number 1 but Ofir is a top keeper we are very lucky to have. Well done tonight Ross.

Unseen work
Has anyone else noticed that he seems to have bulked up since the summer? Might just be the long sleeves that give that appearance but his shoulders look a lot bigger to me.

I thought this. Seems a big lump of a guy now.

Dashing Bob S
Quietly evolving into a very accomplished keeper.

HIBERNIAN-0762
I would keep him as our number one, a very assured goalie.

R'Albin
06-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Always the sign of a good keeper imo. Being able to keep concentration and make only 1 or 2 saves when called upon is a skill in itself.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
He is a very good number 2, when he made that save i thought hell what a fantastic save, but when it was replayed it was right at him and an easy save for him.

We've not missed rocky, which is probably the best accolade you can give Laidlaw. :top marks

hibee_girl
I really like him, he always seems calm and as others have said his distribution is great.

beensaidbefore
06-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Agree. How nice to have the choice of good keepers.

Scottie
06-01-2017, 09:22 PM
:agree: He's performed very well so far so Rocky will need to show up well in training to win his place back.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-01-2017, 09:26 PM

Agreed!

Says a lot when we're congratulating a keeper for 1 save and good distribution but he done everything asked.

Well played

Tyler Durden
07-01-2017, 12:31 AM
He keeps it simple and his kicking is excellent - with our panic stricken crowd sometimes it's best to just hoof it - another solid performance from Laidlaw

Nakedmanoncrack
07-01-2017, 12:35 AM

Agreed, I don't see any reason to drop him.

Pete
07-01-2017, 12:38 AM

Great with his feet and never looks flustered which is something that modern keepers have to have in their locker.