PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Kris Commons on behalf of my 10 year old son

Theinsider
31-12-2016, 03:54 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Kris Commons for coming over and giving my son his left boot after the game.A little background on this; we live in Spain and whilst we have been to some friendlies over the years, this was my sons first official game in the UK. As most 10 year old boys are he is football daft and indeed all things Hibernian also. The last game he watched Hibs play was in La Manga against Wigan as that wasn't too far for us to travel. After the game we got to meet a few of the players and he was made up, the only thing he found slightly disappointing was when he asked David Gray for his training top he politely declined as they only had so many with them and he needed it (fair enough, but not to a 9 year old....at the time). Today whilst he was at the game with his big cousin, at the end of the game he decided he was going to run down to speak to Sir David, as surely he would have more tops today he thought. However as he got to the bottom of the stairs and Kris had come over he caught his attention and got the boot that put the ball in the net for the winner. Overcome with emotion, this reduced the wee man to tears of joy. As I am writing this from a platform in the North Sea, having worked Xmas and about to work New Year, I never thought anything would be able to cheer me up, however this has. Simple gestures from players can make such a difference to the lives of the young ones. I remember going to my first "Proper" game, as I am sure you all can. These are memories that are ingrained forever and I thank Kris for giving my son this special one.

DaveF
31-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Nice one. What a present!

He just needs to nick a right boot from somewhere now :greengrin

Pretty Boy
31-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Read that Commons had given his boots away on Facebook.

Great wee read and pleased for your boy. It's things like that that really get us hooked on football and more specifically a club. Well done Kris

Sammy7nil
31-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Nice story thx for sharing

Hi Heid Yin
31-12-2016, 03:58 PM
A lovely touch and uplifting post.
It's such memories that will remain in the wee one's mind all his days and endear our club to him.

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Nice touch from Kris. Something your wee boy will treasure. A good day all in all!

ehf
31-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Commons doesn't need his boots any more because he's done, apparently :rolleyes:

Seriously, great gesture.

stoneyburn hibs
31-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Nice gesture, made up for your wee guy.

SingaporeHibs
31-12-2016, 04:15 PM
That's a beautiful story, thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!! 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Jack Hackett
31-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Well...that brought a wee lump to the throat. Happy for your boy, happy for you, Happy New Year! :thumbsup:

greenlex
31-12-2016, 04:16 PM
:thumbsup::flag:

pontius pilate
31-12-2016, 04:29 PM
What a great gesture and I'm sure it was the icing on the cake for what has been a remarkable calender year for us hibees.

GGTTH

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Read that Commons had given his boots away on Facebook.

Great wee read and pleased for your boy. It's things like that that really get us hooked on football and more specifically a club. Well done Kris

It wasn't Facebook, it was ebay.

Joking: well done Kris.

Hibeewilly
31-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Great gesture by Commons and another lucky young lad further along got his right boot at least I think it was a lad I was still Iin the stand when he did it. Both of them will be over the moon for sure!!

HibernianJK
31-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Great gesture and delighted for your wee boy.

Not sure if there's any way to show this to Kris (fan reps) to show how much it meant to the wee boy?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Lovely gesture, will have made your laddies day. :top marks

A Hi-Bee
31-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Great stuff from Kris, and as someone says it is the little things that create the lasting impressions for younger Hibs supporters, brings back a fond memory of going up to a certain old Hibs centre-half (they were doing pre-season training at the time) and asking said centre-half for his autograph, his reply has stayed with me all my days and it is something of a mantra that I use often myself.

His reply was F..k off son!, I loved John MacNamee all the more after this brief meeting, great player for Hibs and another one who came from the soap dodgers in the west.

:flag:

where'stheslope
31-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Its a small token with a huge impact on a young Hibs fan of the future.

Great gesture from a great player.

lucky
31-12-2016, 05:34 PM
KC has only been here a few weeks but already made two young fans day. Maybe some of other players could give a little more back to fans.

Canon Hannan
31-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Great story and well done Kris.

ano hibby
31-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Hi mate/OP, Billy Bryson has just posted a pic on twitter of KC handing over a boot to a boy I presume is your son. He certainly looks made up. Sorry I can't post a link.

Jack Hackett
31-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi mate/OP, Billy Bryson has just posted a pic on twitter of KC handing over a boot to a boy I presume is your son. He certainly looks made up. Sorry I can't post a link.

https://twitter.com/billybryson07

His expression is an absolute delight

hibee_girl
31-12-2016, 05:58 PM

His face is a picture! Fab photo :thumbsup:

snooky
31-12-2016, 05:59 PM
He has the Commons touch indeed.
These things mean a lot especially to kids & the fans.

guthrie01
31-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Would also like to thank Commons for getting my treble through. Aberdeen, Celtic and Hibs £140 better off :thumbsup:

mjhibby
31-12-2016, 06:06 PM
It is indeed the little things that leave the biggest impression. I got paddy's top in the early 70s and wore it ever chance I could. Just a lovely gesture and just makes one love the hibees even more if that was possible. Thanks Kris for showing hibs class and of course a wonderful goal. Seems Lennon can sign the right players after all.

Jonnyboy
31-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Great stuff from Kris, and as someone says it is the little things that create the lasting impressions for younger Hibs supporters, brings back a fond memory of going up to a certain old Hibs centre-half (they were doing pre-season training at the time) and asking said centre-half for his autograph, his reply has stayed with me all my days and it is something of a mantra that I use often myself.

His reply was F..k off son!, I loved John MacNamee all the more after this brief meeting, great player for Hibs and another one who came from the soap dodgers in the west.

As did I :agree:

Similar kinda tale. At a reserve game at ER. Ninety minutes are up so I approach No. 9 Stan Vincent with my autograph book.

"Hi Stan, can I get your autograph?"

Stan "Who's the best centre forward in Scotland son?"

Me "Colin Stein"

Stan "Bugger off"

And he walked away!

Stein was banging them in for the first team at that time so I'm not sure what I said wrong :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2016, 06:14 PM

His face is a picture! Fab photo :thumbsup:

:agree:

:top marks

snooky
31-12-2016, 06:15 PM
It is indeed the little things that leave the biggest impression. I got paddy's top in the early 70s and wore it ever chance I could. Just a lovely gesture and just makes one love the hibees even more if that was possible. Thanks Kris for showing hibs class and of course a wonderful goal. Seems Lennon can sign the right players after all.
Years ago, I was given a pair of Hibs shorts from a lad I knew who had been on trial at ER. I wore them till they were gossimer thin and also far too tight for my expanding midriff muscles. :wink:

gaz1875
31-12-2016, 06:36 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Kris Commons for coming over and giving my son his left boot after the game.A little background on this; we live in Spain and whilst we have been to some friendlies over the years, this was my sons first official game in the UK. As most 10 year old boys are he is football daft and indeed all things Hibernian also. The last game he watched Hibs play was in La Manga against Wigan as that wasn't too far for us to travel. After the game we got to meet a few of the players and he was made up, the only thing he found slightly disappointing was when he asked David Gray for his training top he politely declined as they only had so many with them and he needed it (fair enough, but not to a 9 year old....at the time). Today whilst he was at the game with his big cousin, at the end of the game he decided he was going to run down to speak to Sir David, as surely he would have more tops today he thought. However as he got to the bottom of the stairs and Kris had come over he caught his attention and got the boot that put the ball in the net for the winner. Overcome with emotion, this reduced the wee man to tears of joy. As I am writing this from a platform in the North Sea, having worked Xmas and about to work New Year, I never thought anything would be able to cheer me up, however this has. Simple gestures from players can make such a difference to the lives of the young ones. I remember going to my first "Proper" game, as I am sure you all can. These are memories that are ingrained forever and I thank Kris for giving my son this special one.

Photo also on Facebook by Alan Rennie :top marks

LancashireHibby
31-12-2016, 06:58 PM

His reaction has honestly got me filling up! I'm sure he'll treasure it for years to come.

Theinsider
31-12-2016, 07:10 PM
His reaction has honestly got me filling up! I'm sure he'll treasure it for years to come.

Its not my son, looks like he got the right boot not the left (my son i mean). He told me he got the one that scored the winner. I won't tell him otherwise. He is actually in the main pic with the red jacket on and blonde hair. He moved down at the end and can be seen collecting it from a distance on a video that was posted on twitter earlier.

Cheers all

northstandhibby
31-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Fabulous joy on the young lads face :thumbsup:

Well done Kris for making his day

:top marks

A Hi-Bee
31-12-2016, 07:51 PM
As did I :agree:

Similar kinda tale. At a reserve game at ER. Ninety minutes are up so I approach No. 9 Stan Vincent with my autograph book.

"Hi Stan, can I get your autograph?"

Stan "Who's the best centre forward in Scotland son?"

Me "Colin Stein"

Stan "Bugger off"

And he walked away!

Stein was banging them in for the first team at that time so I'm not sure what I said wrong :greengrin

No enough characters left in the game jonnyboy,
Stan was no a bad player but not a patch on stein, and funny enough we never missed him when he went to the govonians because we signed yet another from the unwashed, the great Joe Mcbride senior, now there was a goalscorer, not quite in Bakers class but one of the best for sure.
We now need to get back to were we should be in the so called premier and today should go a long way to making that happen.:flag:

Jonnyboy
31-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Stan was no a bad player but not a patch on stein, and funny enough we never missed him when he went to the govonians because we signed yet another from the unwashed, the great Joe Mcbride senior, now there was a goalscorer, not quite in Bakers class but one of the best for sure.
We now need to get back to were we should be in the so called premier and today should go a long way to making that happen.:flag:

:agree: :top marks

oconnors_strip
31-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Great gesture and delighted for your wee boy.

Not sure if there's any way to show this to Kris (fan reps) to show how much it meant to the wee boy?

I have sent the opening post to kris's partner on twitter and she said she will make sure Kris sees it. She was very happy to be made aware of it and hopes Kris has another pair for Friday :greengrin

Theinsider
01-01-2017, 04:14 AM
Thanks very much. My wee boy will be made up.

Theinsider
01-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Great gesture by Commons and another lucky young lad further along got his right boot at least I think it was a lad I was still Iin the stand when he did it. Both of them will be over the moon for sure!!

Yeah that was my son. Initially I thought he got the left one. However it was the other wee boy who got that one. Both lucky wee boys.

heretoday
01-01-2017, 04:19 AM
Commons - what a pro. Great story.

Ozyhibby
01-01-2017, 04:55 AM

I've been down to East Mains and had the tour a couple times and if David Gray had walked back without his training top there would have been consequences and it would have been coming out his wages. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theinsider
01-01-2017, 05:40 AM
I've been down to East Mains and had the tour a couple times and if David Gray had walked back without his training top there would have been consequences and it would have been coming out his wages. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he alluded to that at the time.:agree:

Hibspirational
01-01-2017, 10:28 AM
A great story and pleased for the lad. I was there yesterday and did wonder once he gave away his first boot what he was going to do with the other, but came back to the crowd and gave it away as well. Always good to see players doing something extra, especially for the younger fans.

Itsnoteasy
01-01-2017, 12:27 PM

If the players gave there training tops, strips, boots, shorts & socks to everyone that asked they would need a full kit every week.

Theinsider
01-01-2017, 12:46 PM
If the players gave there training tops, strips, boots, shorts & socks to everyone that asked they would need a full kit every week.

True. There were only handful of kids there and I never criticised him for it

cmcd
01-01-2017, 01:33 PM
We now need to get back to were we should be in the so called premier and today should go a long way to making that happen.:flag:Joe was a good striker but Joe Baker and Neil Martin were my favourits

where'stheslope
02-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Nice to see The Sun picked up on the story, on the front of the GOALS pull out.

About Commons running over the pitch to give kids his boots, there is even a picture.

As I said on earlier post, small deeds make a big impact!