PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian supporter knighted....

3pm
30-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Sir Andy Murray.

Albanian Hibs
30-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Totally deserved.

lucky
30-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Embarrassing he voted yes against the union but accepts an knighthood form the same discredited British establishment

cleanyman
30-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Should have waited until he retires

monktonharp
30-12-2016, 11:06 PM
:rolleyes:

oneone73
30-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Embarrassing he voted yes against the union but accepts an knighthood form the same discredited British establishment

He didn’t have a vote in the Scottish referendum. He wasn't domiciled here.

johnbc70
30-12-2016, 11:10 PM

Embarrassing for who?

RoYO!
30-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Embarrassing :D

Arise Sir Andy!!

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Along with the Squire of Knotty Ash arise Sir Ken Dodd,your tax evasion has been forgiven.

Renfrew_Hibby
30-12-2016, 11:14 PM

Andy didn't have a vote in the referendum, he only expressed a preference for yes.
Where do guys like you get your info from? Jeezo

greenlex
30-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Along with the Squire of Knotty Ash arise Sir Ken Dodd,your tax evasion has been forgiven.

I don't think it's forgiven but more of a pre requisite

Sergey
30-12-2016, 11:24 PM
It looks like Irvine Welsh will have to wait another year!

C~~ts

lucky
30-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Andy didn't have a vote in the referendum, he only expressed a preference for yes.
Where do guys like you get your info from? Jeezo

Info jeezo, he expressed his opinion, FFS this is a football fans forum. He still supported the break up off the country he's accepted a knighthood from. I hope this clear enough for you!!!

jacomo
30-12-2016, 11:25 PM

Murray became a member of the establishment some time ago, to help him achieve his goals. He suffered widespread English bigotry early in his career and doesn't need the bother, so he pacifies them by playing the game a bit.

I don't begrudge him one bit. He's a fantastic sportsman and not everyone can be Muhamed Ali.

I also suspect this gong means little to him in the grand scheme of things. You're right - the system's fixed.

Renfrew_Hibby
30-12-2016, 11:31 PM
Murray became a member of the establishment some time ago, to help him achieve his goals. He suffered widespread English bigotry early in his career and doesn't need the bother, so he pacifies them by playing the game a bit.

I don't begrudge him one bit. He's a fantastic sportsman and not everyone can be Muhamed Ali.

I also suspect this gong means little to him in the grand scheme of things. You're right - the system's fixed.

He'd swap it in a heartbeat for 2 or 3 more grand slams!

lucky
30-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Read this and tell me it's not time to scrap this outdated embarrassing lot of pish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38470732

Murray is a fantastic tennis player and has links to other club but the honours system should not be celebrated as it stands for a system that goes against the ethos of our club.

green day
30-12-2016, 11:38 PM

He lives in Surrey so didn't vote in the Indy Ref.

But, hey - don't let a wee thing like a fact get in the way of your view?

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2016, 12:17 AM
He lives in Surrey so didn't vote in the Indy Ref.

But, hey - don't let a wee thing like a fact get in the way of your view?

But he did say he supported independence, only to take a knighthood? He's within his rights to accept it, but it does seem a tad inconsistent.

barcahibs
31-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Read this and tell me it's not time to scrap this outdated embarrassing lot of pish

Murray is a fantastic tennis player and has links to other club but the honours system should not be celebrated as it stands for a system that goes against the ethos of our club.

Does it?

I thought we were a football team, didn't know we had a values policy. How do we feel about Strictly Come Dancing? Non cheese flavoured wotsits? Use of neo-nicotinoids? (I'm hoping we're against them all, Strictly in particular is a crime against Humanity).

Well done Andy (and well done everyone else who received one or who refused one, as is their right).

HoboHarry
31-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Does it?

I thought we were a football team, didn't know we had a values policy. How do we feel about Strictly Come Dancing? Non cheese flavoured wotsits? Use of neo-nicotinoids? (I'm hoping we're against them all, Strictly in particular is a crime against Humanity).

Well done Andy (and well done everyone else who received one or who refused one, as is their right).
You are wrong about everything and you can shove them non cheesy wotsits right up yer erse.......

:greengrin

G B Young
31-12-2016, 12:35 AM
Arise Sir Andy...and not before time. Congratulations to him and to Jamie on his OBE. A fitting way to cap an incredible year for the Murray brothers.

Any other Hibee knights? There's obviously Sir Tom Farmer, while I recall one of our directors in the 60s and 70s was Sir John Bruce (a surgeon if I remember right). Sir Matt Busby also turned out for Hibs during the Second World War.

Well done also to Sir Mo Farah and Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill, thoroughly deserved.

HoboHarry
31-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Might not be long before the Jambo laptop has a sword near his neck anaw so both clubs will be recognised....... :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
31-12-2016, 01:10 AM

He can't receive recognition in the form of a national honour from Scotland........yet.

barcahibs
31-12-2016, 03:15 AM
You are wrong about everything and you can shove them non cheesy wotsits right up yer erse.......

:greengrin

I haven' seen the Values book yet - if we do endorse prawn cocktail wotsits are we only allowed to eat them in the West Stand? Also if I have to give back my BSc (Bronze Swimming certificate) and Scout's knot making badges I'm going to be really annoyed.

lucky
31-12-2016, 05:23 AM
He can't receive recognition in the form of a national honour from Scotland........yet.

I look forward to a day when national honours are not connected to an empire and political sleaze

LustForLeith
31-12-2016, 05:59 AM
I know theres a bit of a debate on the ethics of acceptng honours but well done Andy Murray on getting a knighthood. Its been some year for him and his family.

heretoday
31-12-2016, 07:07 AM
It's far too early for Andy but what the hell.
Makes more sense than most of the honours list.

Hibby Bairn
31-12-2016, 07:17 AM
Will they (nauseatingly) put Sir Andy Murray on the scoreboard at Wimbledon now?

LustForLeith
31-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Admins, feel free to merge with the other thread. Wrote this when I was still drunk from last night!

Pretty Boy
31-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Will they (nauseatingly) put Sir Andy Murray on the scoreboard at Wimbledon now?

I did wonder that as well. Seems to me it could just be a bit embarrassing for him being introduced as Sir Andy Murray at every tournament he plays.

If honours have to exist then Murray deserves one but it surely would have been better to wait until he retired.

Onion
31-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Congratulations and well deserved, Andy. His family and whole of Scotland should be very proud. A deserving knighthood for outstanding achievement, being a great role model and for having the good sense to be a Hibby :thumbsup: He'll never forget 2016.

Nakedmanoncrack
31-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Spot on.

Sir David Gray
31-12-2016, 08:07 AM

I wonder if the umpires will start saying "Game Sir Andy" now instead of "Game Murray".

Referring to a Sir by his surname doesn't seem right.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2016, 08:16 AM

The founder of mumsnet got an honour. I'm sure us admins will be getting the call anyday now.

Pretty Boy OBE has a nice ring to it.

Hibby Bairn
31-12-2016, 08:19 AM
I wonder if the umpires will start saying "Game Sir Andy" now instead of "Game Murray".

Referring to a Sir by his surname doesn't seem right.

They do it with Sir Nick Faldo in golf and it just looks and sounds ridiculous.

macca70
31-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Take it Sir David Gray got his knighthood too but they are keeping it on the low down to ensure the fans don't get over exuberant again

PapillonVert
31-12-2016, 09:16 AM

Seems he has said he will not use the title during his playing career.

Also, let us not forget Mr. Michael O'Neill who has been awarded an MBE.

DaveF
31-12-2016, 09:25 AM
The founder of mumsnet got an honour. I'm sure us admins will be getting the call anyday now.

I'll take a Lordship thanks very much :-)

Canon Hannan
31-12-2016, 09:35 AM
From a marketing and business perspective Andy will be guided towards accepting in a short career. Ethically he will know deep down in his heart it is corrupt and outdated.
One day the Royal family, Orange Lodge and UKIP will be a thing of the past. This will only happen when Scotland is liberated in my view.

number9dream
31-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Seems he has said he will not use the title during his playing career.

Also, let us not forget Mr. Michael O'Neill who has been awarded an MBE.

I really hope so... Sir Andy v Mr Federer? Everyone would be mortified, especially Andy.

It's not going to stop the ridiculous TV commentators though. They'll be going Sir Andy daft!
Surprised he took it while still playing, although he was probably under enormous pressure from advisors worried about a Daily Mail backlash.
Here's hoping the fuss dies down quickly and he can focus on winning a few more Grand Slams.

The Modfather
31-12-2016, 10:01 AM

Stranger things have happened S. Bob Malcolm was awarded an FTP after his name I believe.

PapillonVert
31-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Surprised he took it while still playing, although he was probably under enormous pressure from advisors worried about a Daily Mail backlash.
Here's hoping the fuss dies down quickly and he can focus on winning a few more Grand Slams.

Rumour has it that if you turn down an award, you are effectively 'blackballed' and not offered again in the future.

I am sure the fuss will die down in a few days - to start up again when the investiture takes place later next year.

G B Young
31-12-2016, 11:53 AM

What ethos? Our club is owned by a knight, Sir Tom Farmer. Knights are known in folklore for their gallantry and if Sir Tom (assisted by the noble efforts of Hibs fans) hadn't ridden in to ward off Mercer we wouldn't have a club to support. That strikes me as a pretty great ethos to nail our colours to.

emerald green
31-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Why can't folk just be happy for Andy Murray that his brilliant sporting achievements have been recognised, without bringing their own wee narrow minded political agendas into it?

If Andy thinks the honour, award, call it what you like, is tainted in some way, he can always refuse it. He hasn't as far as I'm aware.

One Day Soon
31-12-2016, 12:18 PM

Oh aye? Where can I get a copy of this ethos? Who wrote it? when did we sign up to it?

SIR Tom Farmer anyone?

One Day Soon
31-12-2016, 12:23 PM
But he did say he supported independence, only to take a knighthood? He's within his rights to accept it, but it does seem a tad inconsistent.

Why? Salmond at the time said Scotland would keep the Queen as Head of State.

So unless Salmond was making up and talking pi5h as he went along :rolleyes: Murray's action could not be more consistent.

CropleyWasGod
31-12-2016, 01:16 PM
What ethos? Our club is owned by a knight, Sir Tom Farmer. Knights are known in folklore for their gallantry and if Sir Tom (assisted by the noble efforts of Hibs fans) hadn't ridden in to ward off Mercer we wouldn't have a club to support. That strikes me as a pretty great ethos to nail our colours to.
STF didn't "ward off " WM. The people who did that were those who voted against the share offer in sufficient numbers. STF wasn't involved at that stage.

He saved us from insolvency, which came shortly afterwards. At that time, he was plain TF. The S wasn't added until 97.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

beensaidbefore
31-12-2016, 01:23 PM

The vote yes or no was for us to become an independent county, not to get rid of the monarchy.

marinello59
31-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Why can't folk just be happy for Andy Murray that his brilliant sporting achievements have been recognised, without bringing their own wee narrow minded political agendas into it?

If Andy thinks the honour, award, call it what you like, is tainted in some way, he can always refuse it. He hasn't as far as I'm aware.

Well said.

heretoday
31-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh aye? Where can I get a copy of this ethos? Who wrote it? when did we sign up to it?

SIR Tom Farmer anyone?

Scoring goals and winning trophies is the ethos at this club.

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2016, 06:30 PM
The vote yes or no was for us to become an independent county, not to get rid of the monarchy.

You're right, according to the strict parameters in which independence was framed. However, independence from Britain whilst keeping the British monarch seems a strange notion to me. I never understood the logic; it seems a populist move to win over undecideds. Independence whilst accepting 'honours' that give reference to the British empire e.g. MBE? If independence is to happen, it should be done in full, IMHO. I actually voted No in the referendum, though not out of any 'for queen and country' type sentiment.

fulshie
28-01-2017, 12:38 AM
Firstly I would like to say Andy Murray is a brilliant sportsman and I will always support him but, to be given a knighthood is IMO over the top. A Knighthood IMO is for someone who gives something back to the people and not for sport stars who have to be selfish to get to the top. I'm not saying for one instance that Andy Murray is a selfish person in general, but to get to the top of your sport you have to be. Now if AM goes on to coach kids and put something back into the game at a huge level when he retires then yes, that COULD be knighthood worthy. There is other sport stars out their that have been at the top of their sport and don't even get recognised, mainly because they aren't on tv. Take Kenny Dalglish for e,g. (who has been on tv a lot) This is a sportsman who more or less has done everything in the game at player and management level and not only that but look at his contribution to the Hillsborough disaster families which has been awe inspiring (attending every single funeral) and he does many charitable events up and down Scotland (even in the Hebrides). Yet he has only been given an MBE. IMO Andy Murray has given us bragging rights as supporters and not much more, which I love by the way. His Mother however, well that's a different kettle of fish all together.

The Harp Awakes
28-01-2017, 01:19 AM

:agree:

Well said Sir - er, I mean bud:greengrin

I heard Danny Boyle explaining why he turned down his knighthood on Graham Norton tonight. He just said it wasn't for me and that his Dad would turn in his grave (if he'd accepted it). He didn't make a big song and dance about it, but clearly accepting it would have gone against his principles. Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Itsnoteasy
28-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Firstly I would like to say Andy Murray is a brilliant sportsman and I will always support him but, to be given a knighthood is IMO over the top. A Knighthood IMO is for someone who gives something back to the people and not for sport stars who have to be selfish to get to the top. I'm not saying for one instance that Andy Murray is a selfish person in general, but to get to the top of your sport you have to be. Now if AM goes on to coach kids and put something back into the game at a huge level when he retires then yes, that COULD be knighthood worthy. There is other sport stars out their that have been at the top of their sport and don't even get recognised, mainly because they aren't on tv. Take Kenny Dalglish for e,g. (who has been on tv a lot) This is a sportsman who more or less has done everything in the game at player and management level and not only that but look at his contribution to the Hillsborough disaster families which has been awe inspiring (attending every single funeral) and he does many charitable events up and down Scotland (even in the Hebrides). Yet he has only been given an MBE. IMO Andy Murray has given us bragging rights as supporters and not much more, which I love by the way. His Mother however, well that's a different kettle of fish all together.

Without AM winning all he has, there would not be as big a spotlight on British tennis, which in turn encourages more kids to participate. Also if AM wasn't such high profile do you really think we would have any idea what his mother done for a living.
I would rather it was him than Mo Farah. The guy who refused to participate & represent his country? in the Commonwealth Games in the Weej.
Arise Sir Andy.

fulshie
30-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Without AM winning all he has, there would not be as big a spotlight on British tennis, which in turn encourages more kids to participate. Also if AM wasn't such high profile do you really think we would have any idea what his mother done for a living.
I would rather it was him than Mo Farah. The guy who refused to participate & represent his country? in the Commonwealth Games in the Weej.
Arise Sir Andy.Your correct in saying that AM has raised the profile of British tennis but, participation at tennis hasn't risen as much as you think. Judy Murray was talking about that not that long ago by stating the British Lawn Tennis Association still isn't doing enough. As far as watching tennis then yes, the profile has went up I'll give you that. As for Mo Farrah, I agree and not yet convinced he isn't a cheat.