PDA

View Full Version : Very early Hibs history

heidtheba
29-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Hi all,
Hope this is ok to post. I'm looking for any pointers towards books which cover, ideally in real detail, the foundation of Hibs in the Cowgate. I'm currently researching life in the Victorian slums of the Old Town and really want to look at how the Irish/Roman Catholic community fared. I've read a lot of the Victorian 'establishment' reports and I'm looking to link in the story of our club.
I'm woefully unaware of the early history so any nudges in the correct direction would be much appreciated!
Thanks

CropleyWasGod
29-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi all,
Hope this is ok to post. I'm looking for any pointers towards books which cover, ideally in real detail, the foundation of Hibs in the Cowgate. I'm currently researching life in the Victorian slums of the Old Town and really want to look at how the Irish/Roman Catholic community fared. I've read a lot of the Victorian 'establishment' reports and I'm looking to link in the story of our club.
I'm woefully unaware of the early history so any nudges in the correct direction would be much appreciated!
Thanks

The Alan Lugton books are the best place to start.

They're a bit dry, but full of excellent research. As a reflection of the times, i haven't read anything better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Hibernian-1-Alan-Lugton/dp/1780270577

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-12-2016, 01:23 PM
The Alan Lugton books are the best place to start.

They're a bit dry, but full of excellent research. As a reflection of the times, i haven't read anything better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Hibernian-1-Alan-Lugton/dp/1780270577

Agreed, a great read but like the OP I too would like to delve a wee bit deeper.

A footnote on Alan's 1st book doesn't show the yams up in a very good light...

Some thing never change...:rolleyes:

heidtheba
31-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks for this Cropley,
The book is superb and gives me exactly what I was looking for - I'm currently working on a walking tour looking at poverty in the Victorian era. I've been trawling through the stuff on the immediate vicinity to St Patrick's and knew there was a lot more to it than my meagre knowledge of very early Hibs allowed.
Thanks again,