PDA

View Full Version : Hibs DVD problems

givescotlandfreedom
26-12-2016, 09:08 PM
I got my dad and brother each a copy of Time for Heroes from the clubstore and we sat down to watch one last night. My dad's DVD player couldn't read the first disk, but could read my brother's copy whilst freezing and having to be rewound a few times. I dug out my copy and had the same issue where it couldn't be read in the same player. Seems odd that the same player that plays every other DVD in the hours fine had major issues with two of the three copies and stuttered along with the other one. Has anyone else had issues with it? My CIS final one works in the same player and it's 9 years old.

Eyrie
26-12-2016, 10:31 PM
The only problem I had yesterday was that the start of the captions was cut off at the left edge of the screen, regardless of the aspect ratio I used, but that is a minor thing that didn't affect my enjoyment of DVD1.

I was more surprised that DVD2 didn't have the box showing the time and score during the game, and wasn't divided into "scenes" each of around 12 minutes play to make it easier to navigate.

bigstu
26-12-2016, 11:54 PM
I couldn't get a laptop to read the disc, no idea why. Tried for ages but no luck.

HappyAsHellas
27-12-2016, 12:28 AM
Had this now with 2 copies of the DVD - I'd really like to say I've seen it but I haven't. The last copies were changed without question which makes me think it's a known issue.

SkintHibby
27-12-2016, 04:37 AM
I said at the time that I was surprised that the DVD's were burnt copies and not pressed ones so it is no suprise to me that people are having issues playing them.

For £25 I think it's a poor show from Hibs that proper DVD's were not used (although I appreciate a limited batch order might not have made this cost effective).

Another thing I noticed is there is no copy protection on the DVD's so if anyone is having issues playing them on some DVD players then try making a copy to a quality blank DVD on a PC/laptop. P.S. Admin, I'm not advocating distributing pirate copies of the cup final DVD - merely proposing a possible solution to those having issues.:agree:

Salisbury Hibby
27-12-2016, 05:30 AM
There is a problem with how the DVDs have been mastered. I've given the details to the club.

The cropping of the video is caused by an incorrect piece of information called the Active Format Description. You will see the problem on DVD players that do not have an HDMI output.

The issues with some players playing the discs is due to the low reflectivity of the disc caused vy the dark green of the non playing side and the fact that there isn"t a base coat underneath it.

Whether the club or the shop has taken this further I don'r know.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

SkintHibby
27-12-2016, 05:40 AM
The cropping of the video is caused by an incorrect piece of information called the Active Format Description. You will see the problem on DVD players that do not have an HDMI output.

I watched the Cup Final DVD on my LG dvd player through the scart connection to my TV without any cropping issues.:confused:

Salisbury Hibby
27-12-2016, 05:42 AM
I watched the Cup Final DVD on my LG dvd player through the scart connection to my TV without any issues.:confused:
Your DVD Player must ignore the AFD, then. I've looked at the bitstream and it is set to crop the video to 4:3.

Salisbury Hibby
27-12-2016, 05:43 AM
And this applies to disc 1

Salisbury Hibby
27-12-2016, 05:51 AM
If anyone is using a SCART connection, could you PM me your make/model and whether the picture is cropped or not.

Thanks.

SkintHibby
27-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Your DVD Player must ignore the AFD, then. I've looked at the bitstream and it is set to crop the video to 4:3.

Possibly,

My dvd player is only about two years old so probably has 'features' older ones don't. :agree:

Salisbury Hibby
27-12-2016, 05:58 AM
Possibly,

My dvd player is only about two years old so probably has 'features' older ones don't. :agree:
Probably due to the fact manufacturers feel they can save money by not supporting AFD now because 4:3 displays are very rare.

Onion
27-12-2016, 06:59 AM
I said at the time that I was surprised that the DVD's were burnt copies and not pressed ones so it is no suprise to me that people are having issues playing them.

For £25 I think it's a poor show from Hibs that proper DVD's were not used (although I appreciate a limited batch order might not have made this cost effective).

Another thing I noticed is there is no copy protection on the DVD's so if anyone is having issues playing them on some DVD players then try making a copy to a quality blank DVD on a PC/laptop. P.S. Admin, I'm not advocating distributing pirate copies of the cup final DVD - merely proposing a possible solution to those having issues.:agree:

Does that mean these DVDs will have a limited lifespan ? Maybe wise to make a few back ups ??

Brunswickbill
27-12-2016, 07:18 AM
I took my dvd to a friend's place and played it on an old dvd player with scart connector. Dvd1 wouldn't play at all - got "no disc" message . Dvd 2 played no problem with poor resolution. I also have problems playing dvd1 in one of my own players particulary if using fast forward.

SkintHibby
27-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Does that mean these DVDs will have a limited lifespan ? Maybe wise to make a few back ups ??

Thats what Ive done.

Leith's finest
27-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Mine works fine using xbox

Dashing Bob S
27-12-2016, 07:51 AM
I thought the picture quality was poor, then I realised that I was watching through a haze of champagne, gin martini's and port.

Glory Lurker
27-12-2016, 08:54 AM
My copy is fine up until a few minutes after Halliday scores the winner, then it's difficult to work out what's going on.

GreenCastle
27-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Hibs should do more cinema showings.

Was a thing of beauty on the large screen and in surround sound !

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Done on the cheap, mine wouldnt play unless i ripped it to a USB stick and played it through the tv.

My mates is freezing every 5 minutes, and to be honest there are far too many folk complaining about this compared to the amount sold.

Eyrie
27-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Thanks - I think that means it's my DVD player rather than the DVD causing the problem.

Same cropping issue when I tried the 4:3 ratio.

Probably due to the fact manufacturers feel they can save money by not supporting AFD now because 4:3 displays are very rare.
It is an old DVD player. Don't see the need for a new one given that it works fine.

sleeping giant
27-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Gave my Dad a shot of mine as nobody got him one as we all assumed someone else would (terrible I know ) and it doesn't work on his DVD player. Granted it's an older one but FFS.

I'd bet most of the oldies have an old DVD player where this product will not work.

Not very good Hibs is it ?

And yes I know that I am doing the club out of revenue by loaning my 74 year old Dad my copy :-)

Hiber-nation
27-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Mine freezes when the teams run out in the Final. Tried it on my DVD player which isn't that old and on my laptop. Managed to forward it on a bit on the laptop eventually but not on the DVD player. Back to the shop tomorrow more in hope than in expectation.

Lago
27-12-2016, 11:52 AM
No problems at all, love it.:greengrin

Beefster
27-12-2016, 11:54 AM
There is a problem with how the DVDs have been mastered. I've given the details to the club.

The issues with some players playing the discs is due to the low reflectivity of the disc caused vy the dark green of the non playing side and the fact that there isn"t a base coat underneath it.

You obviously know what you're talking about. Sounds like they've been done on the cheap (it actually sounds like they've been copied on someone's PC and then printed on their inkjet!). Bit amateurish of the club, especially given the price and the fact that a load of them have probably been bought as Xmas presents.

lucky
27-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Mines freezes on my DVD player, it's 9 year old, but plays fine on my pc. The reality is that DVDs are not that common nowadays. Hibs should bring out a download.

Bay Area Hibees
27-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Mines freezes a lot
Shame
Great film

California-Hibs
27-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Mine arrived here in California and I was worried because I had read of some of these issues that people are talking about. Lucky for me, into the PS4 abc watched it all the way through perfectly! Popped it in the MacBook and burnt a perfect copy onto the desktop pronto!

ancient hibee
27-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Gave my Dad a shot of mine as nobody got him one as we all assumed someone else would (terrible I know ) and it doesn't work on his DVD player. Granted it's an older one but FFS.

I'd bet most of the oldies have an old DVD player where this product will not work.

Not very good Hibs is it ?

And yes I know that I am doing the club out of revenue by loaning my 74 year old Dad my copy :-)

I'm I'm old so is my DVD player. Disc worked perfectly.

The Captain....
27-12-2016, 05:57 PM

Good to know..cheers. My copy seems to have deteriorated at an alarming rate...it's virtually unplayable now after half a dozen watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALF TUPPER
27-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I've not watched it yet. So don't tell me what happens. 😁
Spoiler alert !!

BullsCloseHibs
27-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Sam Nicolsons wild excitement going 2 up priceless

GIRFUY

BullsCloseHibs
27-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Hanlon you god! 2-2

GIRFUY

beautiful

The Green Goblin
27-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Mine arrived here in California and I was worried because I had read of some of these issues that people are talking about. Lucky for me, into the PS4 abc watched it all the way through perfectly! Popped it in the MacBook and burnt a perfect copy onto the desktop pronto!

Hey CH, what software do you use? I have been trying Handbrake (to back up my work originally purchased :greengrin film library) but keep running into problems. Cheers.

monktonharp
27-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Done on the cheap, mine wouldnt play unless i ripped it to a USB stick and played it through the tv.

My mates is freezing every 5 minutes, and to be honest there are far too many folk complaining about this compared to the amount sold.:agree:I had problems with the first disc, on my laptop. kept freezing during various interviews with Stubbsy! eventually got through it by fwd/rev and saw it all. full game disc was no problem.

California-Hibs
28-12-2016, 03:36 AM
Hey CH, what software do you use? I have been trying Handbrake (to back up my work originally purchased :greengrin film library) but keep running into problems. Cheers.

Read a ton of reviews and decided to purchase the program - 'MacX DVD Ripper Pro'. It was on sale for $14.99 on Black Friday. So glad I did!! Phenomenal piece of software. Basically cuts through anything protected. Period. You can copy DVD's to any format imaginable, make IOS exact replicas, enhance the file quality, make any kind of adjustments you could think of - brighter, louder, subtitles etc you name it.

Highly recommended! I'd wager my copy of Time For Heroe's is one of the best out there! 😏👍

SteveHFC
28-12-2016, 06:31 AM

DVDDecryptor for Windows systems been using it for years creates direct copies or iso files takes all protection away and best of all its free

One Day
28-12-2016, 08:30 AM
I watched min on 2 different DVD's and had no problems what so ever

Speedy
28-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Watched the first disc (played on a ps3). Was fine. Sticking the 2nd one on now.

28-12-2016, 01:44 PM
We had to send our back and get it replaced as the first disc was sticking and jumping over bits. Got a replacement that works perfectly now.

The Green Goblin
28-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Read a ton of reviews and decided to purchase the program - 'MacX DVD Ripper Pro'. It was on sale for $14.99 on Black Friday. So glad I did!! Phenomenal piece of software. Basically cuts through anything protected. Period. You can copy DVD's to any format imaginable, make IOS exact replicas, enhance the file quality, make any kind of adjustments you could think of - brighter, louder, subtitles etc you name it.

Highly recommended! I'd wager my copy of Time For Heroe's is one of the best out there! 😏👍

DVDDecryptor for Windows systems been using it for years creates direct copies or iso files takes all protection away and best of all its free

Cheers to both of you. :aok:

StevieC
04-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks for that.

Also discovered IMGBurn while searching for your suggestion.

ihibs7
04-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Highly recommended! I'd wager my copy of Time For Heroe's is one of the best out there! [emoji57][emoji106]

Mines wouldn't play on my DVD player so I ripped it with irip onto my MacBook to watch via Apple TV. I'll get round to running it through handbrake to put it on my iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullsCloseHibs
04-01-2017, 06:14 PM
We had to send our back and get it replaced as the first disc was sticking and jumping over bits. Got a replacement that works perfectly now.

I got my copy back in November, however only recently played it for the first time. It does jump/stop in places. Taking it back tomorrow. Not good enough Hibs.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-01-2017, 06:54 PM
I got a copy for xmas and it skips like hell on 3 different dvd players but works absolutely perfect on the xbox

Radge70
05-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Both discs work fine on my DVD player but the picture quality for the match footage is really poor. I never watch DVDs these days but am guessing that part of the problem is that my eyes are now adjusted to Sky Sports HD quality, albeit I would have still expected the DVD quality to be better than it is. I take it all these methods people are using to change the format will never enhance the DVD quality and that it's best to use your Sky + box as the source for any such conversions? I actually invested in a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 specifically for this job, which might have been a bit over the top but it's the match footage that means the most to me. The content in the first disc was fantastic mind you.

number9dream
05-01-2017, 10:35 AM
My problem is that it's no longer available... I bought three copies when it was released but now my dad's best pal wants one, as does a good friend in Madrid.
Is that the end of the line or will they release any more?

Billy McKirdy
05-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Arrived home late from work to discover my dvd finally arrived :thumbsup: because it was so late decided to watch only 10 mins but ended up watching all three hours of disc 1 :greengrin I'm not one for tears but they came at least 4 times.
The disc played perfectly on my laptop and it's a brilliantly edited production and we'll worth the wait :top marks and I've yet to watch disc 2 :flag: