PDA

View Full Version : Our Shooting Versus Another Clubs Shooting

Dashing Bob S
26-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Do we practice trying to hit the keeper in training?

We seem to have some expertise in this area.

It's long standing grouse that we miss loads of chances, while other teams punish us more readily.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in one-on-ones with the keeper. When the keeper spreads we always seem to hit him in the chest or thighs, and rarely force a save from the extremities; fingers, wrists, shoulders, elbows, outer thighs, shins, feet.

Can we not put a slight bit of loft or bend on the ball in such occasions?

HappyAsHellas
26-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Sanchez at Arsenal had the perfect finish the other week. Hibs on the other hand are blessed with strikers who try to hit the ball through the keeper as opposed to past him.

wookie70
26-12-2016, 08:02 PM
I regularly arrive at ER and other grounds 20 minutes or so early. Watching the shooting warm ups will give you an idea of why we score so few. I rarely see Hibs win the warm up as it were and just as well we don't concede many shots on goal as the opposition seem to batter balls into the goals every second shot while the Hibs players seem to play hit the Pie and Bovril. The Dundee Utd warm up was comical. The other thing that really rips my knitting is players getting the ball consistently played to their good foot in the warm up. It's no wonder most of them go to such lengths to avoid using their standing foot. To be fair it was the same under Stubbs so not a new thing.

ehf
26-12-2016, 08:25 PM
You really do have to wonder what they do in training all week; the quality of our finishing, crossing and movement in the final third is woeful.

PompeyHibs
26-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Pound for pound we have the worst strikers in the history of football.

20 shots a game at best we get two goals.
60% possesion each week sometime more
5-10 corners

Other teams have 3-5 shots with 1-2 on target and get a goal.

If we could score even 2 goals a game in the diddy leagie we would be x points clear.

2017.... we will score more GGTTH

Carheenlea
26-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I regularly arrive at ER and other grounds 20 minutes or so early. Watching the shooting warm ups will give you an idea of why we score so few. I rarely see Hibs win the warm up as it were and just as well we don't concede many shots on goal as the opposition seem to batter balls into the goals every second shot while the Hibs players seem to play hit the Pie and Bovril. The Dundee Utd warm up was comical. The other thing that really rips my knitting is players getting the ball consistently played to their good foot in the warm up. It's no wonder most of them go to such lengths to avoid using their standing foot. To be fair it was the same under Stubbs so not a new thing.

I'm usually a 5 to 3 arrival at ER, but often get in sharp on the road, and you're right, the shooting drill is more often than not hilariously bad. The drill is always the same though, so you wonder if they can't just try something different to at least try and intstill some confidence prior to taking the field for the game itself.
As a golfer, I like to warm up on the practice range before playing a competition, and if I'm spraying the practice balls all over the shot and missing putts left and right then that's inevitably going to seriously impact on the confidence when you get to the first tee. Must be the same in football when slashing shots wildly all over the place in the warm up.

The Leith Dutch
26-12-2016, 09:49 PM

The difference when Griffiths was there was even clearer - pretty much every time he hit the ball in the warm up it was on target and a minimum of twice as powerful looking as anyone else. One of those moments you realise it's a different game when you have the ability some players have.

Apparently, they used to put ropes across the goals to divide it into 12 squares for Patrick Kluivert.
Coach would launch the ball at him and as it was arriving he'd yell out a number and Kluivert had to stick it in that square.
Maybe we should try the same and the coach can just call out which stand he wants them to try to put it in....

Scottie
26-12-2016, 09:53 PM
As a golfer, I like to warm up on the practice range before playing a competition, and if I'm spraying the practice balls all over the shot and missing putts left and right then that's inevitably going to seriously impact on the confidence when you get to the first tee. Must be the same in football when slashing shots wildly all over the place in the warm up.
That's where your going wrong.

Just get onto the 1st tee and slash away it saves hours of practice and more time to spend in the bar once you NR. :greengrin

Thats what our players do miss open goals on a Saturday then go up town and get slashed. No practice required it seems. :aok:

Waxy
26-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Our forwards have been poor alot. No consistancy from any.

Nicho87
26-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Just watched the highlights on raith tv and we absolutely batter them. Our failure for the past 2.5 seasons has cost us. Our shots to goal coversion must be 1-10.

Marco G
27-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Pound for pound we have the worst strikers in the history of football.

20 shots a game at best we get two goals.
60% possesion each week sometime more
5-10 corners

Other teams have 3-5 shots with 1-2 on target and get a goal.

If we could score even 2 goals a game in the diddy leagie we would be x points clear.

2017.... we will score more GGTTH
Think that happens with most of the top teams! Have most of the play but not easy to score against a packed defence so get plenty shots but fewish goals as a ratio.

Some stats showed that goals from corners rate is about 1 in 20 at most for EPL Given that our three goals from corners this season is about par.

The sorts of defensive teams with quick breaks seem to score more for less shots at goal. Maybe cause they are not against packed defenses?

So not sure we are much out of the ordinary amongst "top teams" in their leagues but it does still piss me off!

mim
27-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Apparently, they used to put ropes across the goals to divide it into 12 squares for Patrick Kluivert.
Coach would launch the ball at him and as it was arriving he'd yell out a number and Kluivert had to stick it in that square.
Maybe we should try the same and the coach can just call out which stand he wants them to try to put it in....

:faf::top marks:aok:

The Leith Dutch
27-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Just watched the highlights on raith tv and we absolutely batter them. Our failure for the past 2.5 seasons has cost us. Our shots to goal coversion must be 1-10.

Spot on.

Thought it was interesting looking at the distribution of our goals per game in the league:
0 goals (3 times)
1 goal (6 times)
2 goals (5 times)
3 goals (2 times)
4 goals (2 times)

So in half our games we've either not scored or scored one.

In the nine league games we scored fewer than two -

League Record:
W1 D6 L2 GF6 GA7

103 Shots
40 On target
6 goals

Defence performs reasonably well (2 goals agains Ayr being the only game more than one goal shipped).
Goals scored is very poor and the conversion rate as you say is atrocious:
6% of shots or 15% of shots on target.

Worth mentioning 4 red cards in those games (3 Hibs players and Taiwo)
In the games we received the red cards the stats were strange:
31 Shots, 14 on target with only 1 goal

Number of shots and shot on target is not kicking the arse off a third of the totals but the coversion rate halfs.

There. Now I've even bored myself.

GreenCastle
27-12-2016, 09:58 AM

You should have seen the warm ups in the Fenlon / Calderwood / Butcher years..

I rarely saw James Collins even get near the target and Rowan Vine was one of the worst players I ever watched.

Anyway..who knows how much practice they do on shooing at East Mains.

Every session should be based on attacking patterns and breaking teams down.

Colr
27-12-2016, 10:00 AM
You should have seen the warm ups in the Fenlon / Calderwood / Butcher years..

I rarely saw James Collins even get near the target and Rowan Vine was one of the worst players I ever watched.

Anyway..who knows how much practice they do on shooing at East Mains.

Every session should be based on attacking patterns and breaking teams down.

They need to get back to basics. Start with a coo's arse and a banjo then build from there.

wookie70
27-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Given our training centre is former farmland we should try to resurrect a barn door.

I watched warm ups from the FF lower under Fenlon and Butcher and I think the net was put up to save those sitting in the upper tier.

It wouldn't worry me if both teams were the same but the quality of warm up shooting by the opposition looks miles better most weeks and it converts onto the park when the whistle blows.

GreenCastle
27-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Keatings and Cummings are our best finishers - not quite LG standard but quite deadly at times.

Commons should be in the top bracket / Holt was when at Norwich.

Boyle / Holt / Graham / Shinnie probably next best.

Gray / Stevenson / McGregor / Hanlon / Fontaine / Fyvie..

Bartley..Dylan..few others..collectors items if they score.

southern hibby
27-12-2016, 11:43 AM
The difference when Griffiths was there was even clearer - pretty much every time he hit the ball in the warm up it was on target and a minimum of twice as powerful looking as anyone else. One of those moments you realise it's a different game when you have the ability some players have.

Probably hit one of the four ball boys at ER and still miss the stand

GGTTH

where'stheslope
27-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Those statistics are really bad, yet they are really good as well?

To achieve such domination against the opposition is really unbelievable?

I for one think its only a matter of time before everything just clicks into place, if we were playing badly or not making chances we would think our confidence is low, yet week in week out we seem to always have the upper edge on our opponents, and but for a wee bit of luck in front of goals we could be sitting pretty at the top of the league!

To be continually dominating in games, means the team is playing well but we have got to finish all the good play by scoring goals, which is not as easy as it sounds as the other teams are out to stop us at all costs by fair means or foul!!

Just one wee break could turn us around in an instance i.e. deflection, o.g. or a miss hit shot!

We are still not by any manner of means out of this League, onwards and upwards!!!

BH Hibs
27-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Do we need a striker coach? Seem to remember Deek helping out at some point last year not necessarily saying it has to be him right enough.

EastCalderHibby
27-12-2016, 04:52 PM
You really do have to wonder what they do in training all week; the quality of our finishing, crossing and movement in the final third is woeful.

think we could score more if we were not so slow going forward

Fife-Hibee
27-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Do we need a striker coach? Seem to remember Deek helping out at some point last year not necessarily saying it has to be him right enough.

When Deek was helping out I'm sure Cummings was on fire!

monktonharp
27-12-2016, 10:43 PM
You really do have to wonder what they do in training all week; the quality of our finishing, crossing and movement in the final third is woeful.we do have a certain craving or will to do, for hitting defenders rather than crossing the ball into the opponent's box. no names mentioned:wink:

Nicho87
27-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Deeks would have scored a couple against rovers

monktonharp
27-12-2016, 11:01 PM
Deeks would have scored a couple against roversand that's only the ones wi his erse.

Thecat23
27-12-2016, 11:03 PM

So would Keith Wright or Gareth Evens or Kevin Harper. They can't play now though as they are all finished.

SGE HIBS
28-12-2016, 04:12 AM

So could I have 👍