PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United

Pages : [1] 2

dastardly8
25-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Look at the Utd team no big names , assembled quickly after mixup left and still clearly better than us , why don't we look at players with ability in our division who would jump at the chance of a move to Hibs , we need to buy in January or I can see another dodgy nervous playoff scenario , thoughts ?

Heisenberg
25-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Well yes we definitely need to sign 3/4 new players in January. Mainly wide players with pace. This has been a problem since we came down to this division and it's not been sorted yet.

Ozyhibby
25-12-2016, 11:27 AM
I prefer to just call him Mixu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 11:32 AM
United arent clearly better than us.

JohnM1875
25-12-2016, 11:34 AM

Hard to argue they aren't better than us. Ahead of us in the league and unbeaten against us so far this season.

dastardly8
25-12-2016, 11:34 AM

The league position clearly says otherwise !!!

Heisenberg
25-12-2016, 11:35 AM
We definitely have to beat them in a couple of weeks. If we don't I see no way back.

Smartie
25-12-2016, 11:42 AM
If we sign a couple of quick wide players and a goal scorer then we'll be miles better than United.

As things stand I don't think there's much/ anything between us, other than I think they're a bit better at grinding out wins.

Tin hat on, but of the two sets of fans I think they've got the winning mentality. They know the importance of picking up 3 points after 3 points whereas we all start pissing our pants when we're not putting 4 or 5 goals past teams. We need to get a grip, as we're now in a dogfight.

Steve20
25-12-2016, 11:48 AM

They are. And have a better manager. We need huge changes in January.

Canon Hannan
25-12-2016, 11:53 AM
The league position clearly says otherwise !!!

A missed pen difference.

Canon Hannan
25-12-2016, 11:55 AM
They are. And have a better manager. We need huge changes in January.

No they are not and no they haven't! Injuries and a missed penalty is the difference. We are a better team and have a better manager who can attract bigger players to a bigger club with more fans and a better infrastructure.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 11:56 AM
People were saying Dundee Utd were better than us when they were behind us in the league, and were shouted down with look at the league table.

There must be a lot of confused folk here today.

Now they are above us and they are still not better than us, perhaps they are not as good as us but just get better results?

I suppose injuries should be taken into account, as long as we are the only team who get them. And i read another cracker how we would have won had we not missed so many chances, i kid you not.

And another brilliant one was we'd have won if both their centre halves had not played so well.

I'm not making this up, we have an excuse now for every eventuality.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-12-2016, 12:18 PM
A missed pen difference.

Possibly the best example recently of where football can boil down to isolated incidents.

BSEJVT
25-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Possibly the best example recently of where football can boil down to isolated incidents.

Football can boil down to isolated incidents but only if you allow them to.

With the squad and resources we have at our disposal and the start we had on United we should be completely out of sight.

There are two simple reasons for this:

1) The manager hasn't delivered

2) The players haven't either.

Everything else is pish and wind.

If you read this board you would believe that we are the only team to:

Miss chances

Get Injuries

Lose soft goals

Always have refereeing decisions go against us.

I have watched football for nearly 50 years and we are not

Even if we were, which I don't accept for a second, we had every advantage under the sun going for us and have to date royally ****ed it up.

All I see on this board are excuse after excuse as to why things haven't gone our way.

We excuse their failures as individuals and collectively far too easily.

We should be demanding more of them as they should be of themselves.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 01:17 PM

With the squad and resources we have at our disposal and the start we had on United we should be completely out of sight.

Miss chances

Get Injuries

Lose soft goals

Even if we were, which I don't accept for a second, we had every advantage under the sun going for us and have to date royally ****ed it up.

All I see on this board are excuse after excuse as to why things haven't gone our way.

Absofrickinlutely.:top marks

wookie70
25-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I would say halfway through the season with every team having played each other home and away is an excellent time to judge where we stack up against Utd. At the moment they are better. Nonsense to suggest that the missed pen is the reason for this as you would then have to take each event in every game into consideration. We just aren't very good and Utd are slightly better at the moment. Morton and Falkirk aren't too far behin so we need to look both ways.

No way of knowing how it will pan out but the current trajectory doesn't look good. Hopefully some new signings will turn the tables but they will have to be a good deal better than the signings made in the summer. That will be tricky as it is far harder to get players in the January window, particularly ones who will be match fit. We can't afford to sign a few players in the state of match fitness Commons is in.

Del Boy
25-12-2016, 02:14 PM
They definitely have a better manager than us

basehibby
25-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Hard to argue they aren't better than us. Ahead of us in the league and unbeaten against us so far this season.

Hard to argue that they are better than us - they got lucky with a draw at ER and won by a missed penalty at their place. Only a desperate gloom monger would see that as "clearly better than us".

It's fair to say that they have got their act together well and will present a significant challenge for the Championship. To say they are "clearly better than us" is nothing butr the whitterings of a defeatist gob*****. Merry Xmas !

Toldo123
25-12-2016, 02:30 PM
We got a flier of a start this year. over the last ten weeks they have been better than us and are growing in confidence. They are grinding out results which is what we need to start doing. A team that does not win it's home matches will not win the league. Full stop

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Zazu62
25-12-2016, 02:31 PM
They're home record has been phenomenal. Don't think anyone seen that coming

Ozyhibby
25-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Last week if you voiced concerns that we were not doing well you were pointed to the league table as proof that you were wrong. Now we are told that the league table should be ignored and we are still wrong.

JohnM1875
25-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Hard to argue that they are better than us - they got lucky with a draw at ER and won by a missed penalty at their place. Only a desperate gloom monger would see that as "clearly better than us".

It's fair to say that they have got their act together well and will present a significant challenge for the Championship. To say they are "clearly better than us" is nothing butr the whitterings of a defeatist gob*****. Merry Xmas !

At present they are top of the league. They are undefeated against us and you can bring luck into it all you want. At present going on form and league position. They are better than us.

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 03:08 PM
We were level with Rangers this time last year, how did that go? We were 8 points ahead of United 2 months ago?? League table is utterly irrelevant until April/May.

We were much better than them at ER and missed a pen at Tannadump.If we play to our potential we'll win the league.

JohnM1875
25-12-2016, 03:11 PM
We were level with Rangers this time last year, how did that go? We were 8 points ahead of United 2 months ago?? League table is utterly irrelevant until April/May.

We were much better than them at ER and missed a pen at Tannadump.If we play to our potential we'll win the league.

Not denying that for a second mate. It's a marathon, not a sprint. As they say. But if you asked me what position I'd rather be in at this point of the season. I'd choose there's all day long. Table doesn't lie. They have been the better team for the first half of the season.

GreenCastle
25-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Momentum and consistency..

Something we started with but have lost..only won 3 in a row..

Utd on the other hand are 14 unbeaten now and winning ugly if required.

We need to go on a run and get the pressure back on them.

Right now all the pressure is on us and the players and fans need to do their part to bring us through it. Obviously the players and management more as the fans have been great.

Beat Utd at ER and that will be a massive psychological boost..

northstandhibby
25-12-2016, 03:17 PM

Miss chances

Get Injuries

Lose soft goals

There is a lot there I would agree with but I would question the referee bit. When you see what some players get away with and what we get against us a lot of the time it would seem there is a lot more that goes against us than the average team. We had a spell where Bartley was being sent off for what wouldn't even be a free kick never mind a sending off and remember Muir looking the other way while the bairn defender controlled the ball with the hand in his box then got up and kicked it clear which must go down as one of the most blatant biased decisions ever seen against us.

However referee decisions are not wholly to blame for us now chasing dufc. Hope to goodness this is a wake up call to Lennon and the players to waken up and realise we must take our chances and keep it even tighter at the back. Every game is a cup final for us until the end of the season.

MON THE CABBAGE!!!

Canon Hannan
25-12-2016, 03:20 PM

They definitely have a better Board than us and have not changed managers and upset the balance like us.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 05:34 PM

How often in your lifetime have you witnessed this phenomenon?

wookie70
25-12-2016, 05:39 PM
They definitely have a better Board than us and have not changed managers and upset the balance like us.

In the last 20 years Utd have had one manager more than us. Not much in it. Go back 30 and we have had a good deal less as Alex Miller was in charge for the best part of a decade. The main reason managers are sacked is lack of success so it is surprising we haven't had more managers in the last decade or so.

Not looking at the current managers, Utd have sacked three managers in the last 10 years with over 40% win records in the Top League(Levein, Houston and McNamara) and barring Levein in his first season none of them finished outside the top six. They were sacked pretty quickly if they looked like they wouldn't finish top six though. Stubbs is the only manager we have had with a better than 40% win record in the last decade and that is all in the Championship with the help on a great cup record. I would argue Utd get rid of managers quicker than we do as they have had 4 sacked within a season of them starting since the turn of the century. Perhaps our problem is we give managers too long. It would be a very expensive business but an argument could be made that Fenlon was here too long as was Butcher, Calderwood certainly was.

scoopyboy
25-12-2016, 05:39 PM

Ask the Arabs about Stephen Thomson selling the family silver and they have had three managers in the last twelve months. Apart from that I suppose you have a point!!!!!!!

Andy74
25-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Not denying that for a second mate. It's a marathon, not a sprint. As they say. But if you asked me what position I'd rather be in at this point of the season. I'd choose there's all day long. Table doesn't lie. They have been the better team for the first half of the season.

Choosing position is a bit different to choosing to swap squad and manager with them. They have managed to get ahead just now, fair play, but I would take our squad and manager over theirs as well as our potential to add better players over the next few weeks.

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 06:20 PM
How often in your lifetime have you witnessed this phenomenon?Plenty of times, even this season we've played very well and beaten teams comfortably. I should've said consistently play to our potential. All we need to be is 1 point less crap that everyone else, it is very possible.

BH Hibs
25-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Ach wait until we sign Stokesey and Hendo in January and see how our squad compares.

Lago
25-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Didn't take long for that Christmas feeling of good will to all men, & hibs, leave me as I read through this thread, pass the hemlock.

Waxy
25-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Willy Hill still have us 8/11 favs
Utd 11/10
Falkirk 33/1
Morton 33/1
Raith 50/1

We're gonna have to work very hard for this.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Plenty of times, even this season we've played very well and beaten teams comfortably. I should've said consistently play to our potential. All we need to be is 1 point less crap that everyone else, it is very possible.

In my opinion every game we play in this division is way below the level i think we should be playing our consistent football in.

Its come to something now where all we need to be is less sheite than the others. :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
25-12-2016, 07:20 PM
I prefer to just call him Mixu.

Yes Mixup was usually the reserve of "Hibsed it" mob.

BullsCloseHibs
25-12-2016, 07:25 PM
They'll hit bad form. Definitely. RELAX MAN 😎

Jim44
25-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Willy Hill still have us 8/11 favs
Utd 11/10
Falkirk 33/1
Morton 33/1
Raith 50/1

We're gonna have to work very hard for this.

Absolutely ridiculous odds. I guess they were based on the 'skoosher myth'. If bookies look at results and trends, they must see that DUtd. look odds on to 'skoosh' the league. We should be offered odds in the region of 5/1.

joebakerforever
25-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Re our indifferent home form, I just wonder if fans of other sides are so quick at getting on the backs of their players at home when they they haven't make the breakthrough in the first half or the visitors have gone one up against the run of play.

I've been to many matches in England and Europe and imo the hostile atmosphere towards the home players and manager, when things aren't going their way at Easter Road, is amongst the worst I've experienced.

If you don't think this affects the on field performance, then you're kidding yourself.

Mind you, given the weekly after-match crucifixion of certain players on here, we appear to have cornered the market in greetin faced b******* :sairhead:

Lago
25-12-2016, 08:35 PM
:aok:
Re our indifferent home form, I just wonder if fans of other sides are so quick at getting on the backs of their players at home when they they haven't make the breakthrough in the first half or the visitors have gone one up against the run of play.

I've been to many matches in England and Europe and imo the hostile atmosphere towards the home players and manager, when things aren't going their way at Easter Road, is amongst the worst I've experienced.

If you don't think this affects the on field performance, then you're kidding yourself.

Mind you, given the weekly after-match crucifixion of certain players on here, we appear to have cornered the market in greetin faced b******* :sairhead:

B.H.F.C
25-12-2016, 08:36 PM

I've been to many games elsewhere when the home support make us look like a right patient bunch. Celtic Park and Ibrox for starters. Old Trafford a couple of years ago.

When we are regularly failing to beat the crap we come up against in this division our crowd have every right to voice their disapproval. I didn't think the crowd got on the players backs much at all yesterday given the circumstances.

I don't think Hibs supporters are different to any other set of supporters when it comes to moaning when we fail to win or don't feel it's going their way. Look at Hearts with Neilson who got them promoted and was sitting second when he left.

Canon Hannan
25-12-2016, 08:52 PM

Well said JoeBaker.
It's true.
The fans have turned on the players and I heard it after about 60 minutes. We need to back the team for feks sake. Too many grumpy bassas. Maybe due to non regular supporters attending possibly?
There is no point turning on the team. Not everyone is negative but there were groans and grief coming from the stands which helps the opposition.

FitbaFolkKen
25-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Well said JoeBaker.
It's true.
The fans have turned on the players and I heard it after about 60 minutes. We need to back the team for feks sake. Too many grumpy bassas. Maybe due to non regular supporters attending possibly?
There is no point turning on the team. Not everyone is negative but there were groans and grief coming from the stands which helps the opposition.

It's a double edged sword, we had more supporters in our ground than the 4 games in the top flight the previous day. This is a direct result of last seasons success.

We had the feel good factor at the club in the summer then watching us lose to Ayr, struggle against Dundee Utd, poor performance against Dumbarton and then the rubbish served up yesterday it is no surprise there is discontent in the stands.

We've all continued to pay top flight prices on the premiss of a quick return to the top flight and we keep failing.

If the team came flying out the blocks then they would get 15k cheering them on. If they come out and knock it side to side and then hoof or overplay with the ball and struggle to break these poor quality sides down then there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

Our style is pretty boring to watch which can be forgiven when getting results. The way things are going there is potential for us to be stuck in this division and lose the bulk of the fans that have come back due to the poor product on the pitch.

Marco G
25-12-2016, 09:45 PM
It's a double edged sword, we had more supporters in our ground than the 4 games in the top flight the previous day. This is a direct result of last seasons success.

We had the feel good factor at the club in the summer then watching us lose to Ayr, struggle against Dundee Utd, poor performance against Dumbarton and then the rubbish served up yesterday it is no surprise there is discontent in the stands.

We've all continued to pay top flight prices on the premiss of a quick return to the top flight and we keep failing.

If the team came flying out the blocks then they would get 15k cheering them on. If they come out and knock it side to side and then hoof or overplay with the ball and struggle to break these poor quality sides down then there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

Our style is pretty boring to watch which can be forgiven when getting results. The way things are going there is potential for us to be stuck in this division and lose the bulk of the fans that have come back due to the poor product on the pitch.
We did come flying out the blocks imo and could have been three up in 15 minutes but for great goalkeeping and poor finishing.
It was when we failed to score we got too slow in our passing and the crowd got quiet. But folk coming back after the Cup win need to realise like we all do that teams like Raith are not easy to beat if you pass up early chances. We will get there but it will be tough. Main thing is to start winning again!

RoxburghHibs
25-12-2016, 10:01 PM
We did come flying out the blocks imo and could have been three up in 15 minutes but for great goalkeeping and poor finishing.
It was when we failed to score we got too slow in our passing and the crowd got quiet. But folk coming back after the Cup win need to realise like we all do that teams like Raith are not easy to beat if you pass up early chances. We will get there but it will be tough. Main thing is to start winning again!

Stop this sensible chat it will never catch on

:wink::top marks

Tobias Funke
25-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Look at the Utd team no big names , assembled quickly after mixup left and still clearly better than us , why don't we look at players with ability in our division who would jump at the chance of a move to Hibs , we need to buy in January or I can see another dodgy nervous playoff scenario , thoughts ?

Any poster who refers to Mixu as "mixup" is a ******ing reprobate.

RoxburghHibs
25-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Any poster who refers to Mixu as "mixup" is a ******ing reprobate.

6-2 Mixu = legend

:flag:

cabbageandribs1875
25-12-2016, 10:20 PM
'mixup' sounds awfy yammish

Hiber-nation
25-12-2016, 10:21 PM
'mixup' sounds awfy yammish

Every time. So sad, attention seeking nonsense.

ancient hibee
25-12-2016, 10:45 PM
My thought is that they are not clearly better than us and I don't see how anyone can say they are.

lucky
26-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Those who think mixup is wrong are forgetting the eye bleeding rank football we suffered with him as the manager. Yes he helped us get promotion and scored a hat trick against them but let's not kid ourselves on that he didn't contribute to the sorry mess we are in now. The fall of Hibernian was a long slow process and sadly mixu played his part

IWasThere2016
26-12-2016, 01:44 AM
We wanted McKinnon - but this was before Stubbs left for Rotherham.

HoboHarry
26-12-2016, 05:27 AM
Christmas Day and Boxing Day and we have a thread full of posters squabbling about whether Hibs are better than Dundee Utd or vice versa. Get a life FFS and get back to your friends and families, at least for two days before the childish bickering recommences.

Pete
26-12-2016, 06:23 AM
Christmas Day and Boxing Day and we have a thread full of posters squabbling about whether Hibs are better than Dundee Utd or vice versa. Get a life FFS and get back to your friends and families, at least for two days before the childish bickering recommences.

Aye there are some belters (if anyone wants to give me 5/1 I'm more than happy to get the ball rolling).

Football fans like a good moan though and maybe the day was getting a bit too pleasant and happy for some of us. A few mulled wines and it's enough of putting up with annoying relatives and it's off to the phone to moan about Hibs with like minded people. :-D

As for the debate, I've said we are capable of winning this league but also maintained from day one that Utd will run us close and be our main threat. Our minor slip-ups are being punished and even though we now find ourselves second, we are more than capable of matching their form and taking advantage of their inevitable slip-ups. It's easy to back your argument up with certain cold, hard facts but there's more to it. We ARE a better team than them and haven't been second best to anyone this season.
United are being backed by good home crowds and monster travelling supports which is maybe giving the team that extra wee bit of a boost in games. All we can do from now until the end of the season is match that collective effort, get right behind the boys and help them as much as we can.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-12-2016, 07:00 AM
Absolutely ridiculous odds. I guess they were based on the 'skoosher myth'. If bookies look at results and trends, they must see that DUtd. look odds on to 'skoosh' the league. We should be offered odds in the region of 5/1.

I'll take some of that 5/1, doubt I'd be alone.

HH81
26-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Two horse race, one team 2 points behind and half a season to go.

5-1 odds would be crazy. It's actually quite even as things stand. They slight ahead.

Thecat23
26-12-2016, 08:47 AM

Bull****.

I've yet to meet a Utd fan who likes their board.

Thecat23
26-12-2016, 08:50 AM

5/1 😂😂😂

Ozyhibby
26-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Bull****.

I've yet to meet a Utd fan who likes their board.

Like two midgets arguing who is taller. Both presiding over massive failure.

Phil MaGlass
26-12-2016, 09:45 AM
My tuppenceworth, at the moment they are better they are motivated and are playing well, they deserve to be where they are, were struggling on almost all fronts except defence, we have as I and many fellow Hibs fans have mentioned, no pace or width, find it difficult to score, so many shots on goal and so few goals scored. We need to get moving or Utd will leave us trailing. How many points have they now caught up 9? Yes at the moment they are better.

Dashing Bob S
26-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Do we have the better players and stronger squad? Unquestionably.

Are we the better team?
Not a chance in hell.

emerald green
26-12-2016, 11:51 AM
I understand DU have taken 30 points out of the last 36. They are on a roll, have caught Hibs, and have now overtaken us mainly due to our long standing failings in front of goal.

I'm not buying the "look at our injuries" excuse. All squads suffer injuries, not just Hibs.

DU are no great shakes, but they are in front of Hibs in the second tier of Scottish football. What does that say (about both teams)?

We'll find out who the better team is early in the new year when they meet at ER.

The Captain....
26-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Lennon, in the words of that famous cliche, has a better squad on paper and is getting very little from them IMO. McKinnon has taken a squad at rock bottom confidence wise, realised their limitations and addressed or mitigated them. I think he is doing a very good, if unspectacular, job at Utd. You don't have to do anything spectacular to outperform Lennon it seems to me so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
26-12-2016, 12:08 PM
My tuppenceworth, at the moment they are better they are motivated and are playing well, they deserve to be where they are, were struggling on almost all fronts except defence, we have as I and many fellow Hibs fans have mentioned, no pace or width, find it difficult to score, so many shots on goal and so few goals scored. We need to get moving or Utd will leave us trailing. How many points have they now caught up 9? Yes at the moment they are better.

:agree:

Very possible unless we find some consistency. Next 2 games are absolutely huge for Hibs as we must win the points and also physiologically for the players going into the 2nd half of the season to have the believe they are the best team in the league.

Scouse Hibee
26-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Hibs are always percieved by many to be better than others, then they go on the pitch and that perception is found to be flawed.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-12-2016, 12:19 PM
They are currently better than us, more consistent than us, have a better manager (right now it seems) than us, and play a more attractive style of football than us.

Bottom line is we NEED to beat them in the upcoming game. Not even a draw would be good enough IMO. Can't keep relying on other teams doing us a favour when we should be doing ourselves a favour!

If we lose, I see no way back.

Voltarol
26-12-2016, 12:23 PM
The trouble is, they are building a squad, started poorly and are now playing with confidence. They will add strikers in the January window and improve their performance. We are struggling to find form.

The next meeting with them is crucial.

I'm not feeling confident and that's after super confidence at the start of the season.

GreenCastle
26-12-2016, 12:30 PM
They are currently better than us, more consistent than us, have a better manager (right now it seems) than us, and play a more attractive style of football than us.

Bottom line is we NEED to beat them in the upcoming game. Not even a draw would be good enough IMO. Can't keep relying on other teams doing us a favour when we should be doing ourselves a favour!

If we lose, I see no way back.

Many said they would have taken him instead of Lennon.

But Stubbs was still here and Ray went to Utd then Stubbs left.

Lennon seems to have some good contacts with players but if Lennon and co want to prove they have what it takes they need to up their game from our next game till the end of the season when we can relax as we are back in the SPFL.

majorhibs
26-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Absolute b#llsh$t post, & absolute b*llocks! Total load of tripe spoken! Ive been to many matches around Europe as well, & ANY team, ANY team, in Hibs situation, in Hibs LOWER repeat LOWER league, would be screamin blue murder at Hibs last 4 seasons. You skoosh idiots can just ...

majorhibs
26-12-2016, 08:58 PM
For the avoidance of doubt, should have said it in August when I 1st thought it, absolutly ANYBODY who has come across with this skoosh sh#t*, you are an absolute, unadultered, huge, TUBE. Should have said it ages ago. Have now. But what imbeciles to come out with idiotic drivel like that. Just so much wrong with that pish.

26-12-2016, 09:04 PM

This. We shouldn't have let them back into the race but theres a long way to go.

chrisski33
26-12-2016, 09:11 PM

This is why Hibs fail to get promotion we believe we are better than we are!

Sammy7nil
26-12-2016, 09:21 PM

Based on what? Evidence over a number of years 18 games, trophies or so called success or failure at smaller clubs? Just interested what you base this on

Eyrie
26-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Based on what? Evidence over a number of years 18 games, trophies or so called success or failure at smaller clubs? Just interested what you base this on

One took over a relegated squad and made a number of changes, had a slow start but has now produced a good run of results to be top of the table.

The other took over a settled squad, made a few changes, started well but has since faded, losing a clear lead to slip to second place.

I'd say the first manager is the better of the two based on the evidence.

Smartie
27-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Lennon has a lot of good players at his disposal - I wouldn't say that he has a great squad. He has a lot of another manager's players and a squad that has glaring deficiencies, a lack of depth and a lack of options in terms of the way he can choose to play.

McKinnon had a blank canvas so was able to decide what kind of gameplan he wanted to have and bring in the players that would carry that gameplan out. He knew this league so he had a fair idea what he needed to do. They were always going to have a slow start but the start they had wasn't as slow as expected and they've quickly developed into a fairly effective unit. They ain't exactly unbeatable though. Their fans had fairly low expectations and there is now a big feel good factor at their club as they are exceeding expectations.

I really feel for Lennon and I think he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing. We'd failed in our primary objective in both of our previous attempts and our league form in the second half of last season was abysmal. We'd lost a couple of very decent loan players but had some excellent cup results last season, including a magnificent Scottish Cup victory that had the whole club on a huge high. After making a very promising start our form has tailed off badly, and there now seems to be quite a lot of anxiety around as we are failing to meet our high expectations.

I'm genuinely not that upset about where we are right now. We're in touching distance of United, and we have a manager who will be a whole lot wiser about our squad, our league and what we need to do to improve than he was in the summer.

I'm still 100% confident we'll win the league. We have a big transfer window ahead of us and it is going to be a scrap to win the league. There will be no skooshing anything and any 1-0 victory between now and the end of the season is a good victory and we will need calm heads when the going gets tough which it inevitably will from time to time.

Heisenberg
27-12-2016, 12:57 AM
Lennon has a lot of good players at his disposal - I wouldn't say that he has a great squad. He has a lot of another manager's players and a squad that has glaring deficiencies, a lack of depth and a lack of options in terms of the way he can choose to play.

McKinnon had a blank canvas so was able to decide what kind of gameplan he wanted to have and bring in the players that would carry that gameplan out. He knew this league so he had a fair idea what he needed to do. They were always going to have a slow start but the start they had wasn't as slow as expected and they've quickly developed into a fairly effective unit. They ain't exactly unbeatable though. Their fans had fairly low expectations and there is now a big feel good factor at their club as they are exceeding expectations.

I really feel for Lennon and I think he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing. We'd failed in our primary objective in both of our previous attempts and our league form in the second half of last season was abysmal. We'd lost a couple of very decent loan players but had some excellent cup results last season, including a magnificent Scottish Cup victory that had the whole club on a huge high. After making a very promising start our form has tailed off badly, and there now seems to be quite a lot of anxiety around as we are failing to meet our high expectations.

I'm genuinely not that upset about where we are right now. We're in touching distance of United, and we have a manager who will be a whole lot wiser about our squad, our league and what we need to do to improve than he was in the summer.

I'm still 100% confident we'll win the league. We have a big transfer window ahead of us and it is going to be a scrap to win the league. There will be no skooshing anything and any 1-0 victory between now and the end of the season is a good victory and we will need calm heads when the going gets tough which it inevitably will from time to time.

I don't really feel sorry for Lennon tbh. While he was away pissing about at the Euros McKinnon was building his squad and preparing for the season ahead. Lennon underestimated what was required this season in a big way. It comes across like he felt all he had to do was turn up, win the league and that was his career back on track.

Captain Trips
27-12-2016, 02:52 AM
We now have 18 games to turnaround 2pts. United were 7 behind us at one point so anything can happen.

We are 100‰ in a battle, so and so coming back soon isn't good enough points are needed now and were on Saturday. We could have Messi, Ronaldo and Bale coming in over next few weeks but that will not matter if we continue to slip up. We only have control of 6pts involving United.

Ronniekirk
27-12-2016, 10:18 AM
We now have 18 games to turnaround 2pts. United were 7 behind us at one point so anything can happen.

We are 100‰ in a battle, so and so coming back soon isn't good enough points are needed now and were on Saturday. We could have Messi, Ronaldo and Bale coming in over next few weeks but that will not matter if we continue to slip up. We only have control of 6pts involving United.

United are 14 games unbeaten ( if you include cup games ) Someone needs to beat them soon as they are in a groove just now
There run of good form has coincided with out worst run of injuries so i would imagine at present they dont fear us
Be intetesting to see how new signings do As if they can get Conner Salmon scoring then that is a plus for them
We cant get a scoring partnership out of our Strikers to date and if commons doesnt start scoriing there is no point in keeking him imo
This is a tricky window for us and Lennon is making it clear we may only bring in a couple of players who can improve us
I have no issue with this but his next signings need to do that, if we are to get an edge over united but would like to see someone beat them and see how they hande that
Still think beinv top will also be. Wee test for them but we need to focus on ourselves and go on a siimiar run to them which at the present time we see incapable of doing

Sammy7nil
27-12-2016, 07:37 PM
One took over a relegated squad and made a number of changes, had a slow start but has now produced a good run of results to be top of the table.

The other took over a settled squad, made a few changes, started well but has since faded, losing a clear lead to slip to second place.

I'd say the first manager is the better of the two based on the evidence.

So it is the best manager over an 18 game period :rolleyes: I bet Sir Alex is glad you were not in charge a M UTD when he came in :greengrin Imho it is way too soon to say who is the better manager.

CRAZYHIBBY
27-12-2016, 07:53 PM
The main thing between hibs and utd is bottle....they have it we don't.

jacomo
27-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I don't really feel sorry for Lennon tbh. While he was away pissing about at the Euros McKinnon was building his squad and preparing for the season ahead. Lennon underestimated what was required this season in a big way. It comes across like he felt all he had to do was turn up, win the league and that was his career back on track.

Lennon dealt a far better hand compared to, say, Stubbs. He inherited a squad that was more than decent. I can't remember many people wanting MacKinnon but he's done an impressive job thus far.

I'm not going to wet the bed because we are 2 points off top. But we should be top. Red cards and injuries have affected us but Lennon had better rediscover the winning habit ASAP.

CRAZYHIBBY
27-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Bloody phone reposted previous post

Golden Bear
27-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Reverse pressure is now in operation. We'll see how they react with the yellow jersey on.

Thecat23
27-12-2016, 08:30 PM

I think we have the bottle, we just don't have strikers putting the ball in the back of the net.

stantonhibby
27-12-2016, 08:32 PM

Great post. I recall you saying the same on the cup final match thread at 2-1 down.

Andy74
27-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Some utter nonsense being written at the moment.

matty_f
27-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Pete
27-12-2016, 08:40 PM

Lago
27-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Panic all over the place, every thread you read.

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2016, 08:52 PM

Actually thinking how cringeworthy it is. Some "fans" have no bottle

Stax
27-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Reverse pressure is now in operation. We'll see how they react with the yellow jersey on.
Good analogy, don't think it'll do us any harm letting them feel the pressure while our injuries come back at the most important part of the season. I can't believe anyone here still questioning if we have bottle.

MWHIBBIES
27-12-2016, 09:39 PM
The main thing between hibs and utd is bottle....they have it we don't.How did you work that one out?

northstandhibby
27-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Good analogy, don't think it'll do us any harm letting them feel the pressure while our injuries come back at the most important part of the season. I can't believe anyone here still questioning if we have bottle.

It was nothing to do with bottle as you rightly question.

On a day we had our shooting boots on we could have won 3 4 or even 5-1 on Saturday. All teams have games like that. I thought we played some decent stuff. Let's hope we have far better games in front of goal in the games ahead and we will be okay.

Mon the Cabbage

stantonhibby
27-12-2016, 09:48 PM
How did you work that one out?

I don't think much working out went on. Seems to be his default position about us.

fat freddy
27-12-2016, 09:58 PM
On the first day of christmas dot net gave to me a mattress soaked in wee.

On the second day of christmas dot net gave to me two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the third day of christmas dot net gave to me three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the fourth day of christmas dot net gave to me four links to jambo kickback,three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the fifth day of christmas dot net gave to me five faulty DVD's,four links to jambo kickback,three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the sixth day of christmas dot net gave to me six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee

On the seventh day of christmas dot net gave to me seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the eighth day of christmas do net gave to me eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the ninth day of christmas dot net gave to me nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the tenth day of christmas dot net gave to me ten threads on Houston, nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the eleventh day of christmas dot net gave to me eleven broken bottles, ten threads on houston, nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the twelve day of christmas dot net gave to me twelve happy clappers, eleven broken bottles, ten threads on Houston, nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

Golden Bear
27-12-2016, 10:09 PM

On the second day of christmas dot net gave to me two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the third day of christmas dot net gave to me three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the fourth day of christmas dot net gave to me four links to jambo kickback,three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the fifth day of christmas dot net gave to me five faulty DVD's,four links to jambo kickback,three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the sixth day of christmas dot net gave to me six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee

On the seventh day of christmas dot net gave to me seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the eighth day of christmas do net gave to me eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the ninth day of christmas dot net gave to me nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the tenth day of christmas dot net gave to me ten threads on Houston, nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the eleventh day of christmas dot net gave to me eleven broken bottles, ten threads on houston, nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

On the twelve day of christmas dot net gave to me twelve happy clappers, eleven broken bottles, ten threads on Houston, nine players we need to sign, eight demands for Petrie to resign, seven players not fit to wear the jersey, six managers who'd skoosh this league, five faulty DVD's, four links to jambo kickback, three lost dressing rooms, two points behind and a mattress soaked in wee.

And we ain't even seen that frigging partridge or the pear tree yet!

HoboHarry
28-12-2016, 02:29 AM
And we ain't even seen that frigging partridge or the pear tree yet!
Nor will you. The f*****g partridge was dressed up for Christmas with his feathers painted maroon so I fed him to my cat Franck.........

geohibby
28-12-2016, 03:23 AM

Get a life, that is sone sad that you cenjoy up with this

Sammy7nil
28-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Get a life, that is sone sad that you cenjoy up with this

A wee bit harsh ?

green day
28-12-2016, 09:18 AM
According to (some on) this thread, Dundee United are ;

Better than us (debatable)
Have a better manager (again, how can that be quantified?)
Will only get better (speculation)
Will win the league (see above)

I have only seen United v us this season and they are hardly Barcelona - we criminally failed to put them away at Easter Road and missed the pen at Tannadice. Both games are like the story of Hibs season in minature - so far.

But these things can change. Remember last season? We barely won a game in the league between Feb and April, lost the League Cup final in the last minute, lost out in the playoffs to Houstons hatchet men, then the script said we failed in the Scottish Cup.

But we won it.

We can still do this, and as has been mentioned above - its easier to chase a target than lead the pack at times. Lets see how United deal with it over a few weeks.

Ronniekirk
28-12-2016, 10:01 AM
According to (some on) this thread, Dundee United are ;

Better than us (debatable)
Have a better manager (again, how can that be quantified?)
Will only get better (speculation)
Will win the league (see above)

I have only seen United v us this season and they are hardly Barcelona - we criminally failed to put them away at Easter Road and missed the pen at Tannadice. Both games are like the story of Hibs season in minature - so far.

But these things can change. Remember last season? We barely won a game in the league between Feb and April, lost the League Cup final in the last minute, lost out in the playoffs to Houstons hatchet men, then the script said we failed in the Scottish Cup.

But we won it.

We can still do this, and as has been mentioned above - its easier to chase a target than lead the pack at times. Lets see how United deal with it over a few weeks.

The only reason this thread is growing is the fact they have clawed back our comfortable lead and now overtaken us in the league while going on a 14 game unbeaten run
Everything else is irrelevant They have achieved that because we havent won enough games
I have said it before they dont look like a team about to go into meltdown Yes they may well not handle the pressure but at this stsge we dont know that
The facts are there and everyone has there take on why this has happened
But we now need to respond by starting to put a winning run together and get back on top
But the team have not performed recently in a way thst gives some fans much confidence we are about to do that
I am hoping players coming back from injury and new signings will eventually make a difference but in the meantime i really do think we need to win our next two games to show those teams around us we are back to our best and taking our chances If we dont we have seen how vulnerable we can be dropping points
End of January i think will give us. better idea of how close the title challenge will be

Canon Hannan
28-12-2016, 10:10 AM
The only reason this thread is growing is the fact they have clawed back our comfortable lead and now overtaken us in the league while going on a 14 game unbeaten run
Everything else is irrelevant They have achieved that because we havent won enough games
I have said it before they dont look like a team about to go into meltdown Yes they may well not handle the pressure but at this stsge we dont know that
The facts are there and everyone has there take on why this has happened
But we now need to respond by starting to put a winning run together and get back on top
But the team have not performed recently in a way thst gives some fans much confidence we are about to do that
I am hoping players coming back from injury and new signings will eventually make a difference but in the meantime i really do think we need to win our next two games to show those teams around us we are back to our best and taking our chances If we dont we have seen how vulnerable we can be dropping points
End of January i think will give us. better idea of how close the title challenge will be

The season will not be won in the next 2 games. There is no point putting pressure on the boys when we are missing our 2 best players. There is a long way to go and United are scraping wins at the moment. They will draw a few in the coming months and there are plenty points out there to be won. I agree we will need to wait till end of January or even late February and see where the team are then. New signings and injury free Hibs will be a force to reckon with - plus an inspiring end to the season and last minute goals may be fun again 😎😂🙏

B.H.F.C
28-12-2016, 10:16 AM
The season will not be won in the next 2 games. There is no point putting pressure on the boys when we are missing our 2 best players. There is a long way to go and United are scraping wins at the moment. They will draw a few in the coming months and there are plenty points out there to be won. I agree we will need to wait till end of January or even late February and see where the team are then. New signings and injury free Hibs will be a force to reckon with - plus an inspiring end to the season and last minute goals may be fun again 😎😂🙏

It might not be won for us in the next two games but it could certainly be lost. Lose them and end up 8 points behind and we ain't clawing that back.

As for not putting pressure on them, they've done that all by themselves by dropping far too many points.

Heisenberg
28-12-2016, 10:31 AM

Just like last season when Rangers would surely start dropping points eventually...or what about Hearts the year before?

I want Hibs to be the ones in charge for once. Sadly, at the moment, it's shaping up to be the same old story.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Just like last season when Rangers would surely start dropping points eventually...or what about Hearts the year before?

I want Hibs to be the ones in charge for once. Sadly, at the moment, it's shaping up to be the same old story.

Dont be daft, we are always going to do it better in some mythical future, rather than deliver the results now like our competitors have done.

The Leith Dutch
28-12-2016, 10:59 AM

Miss chances

Get Injuries

Lose soft goals

:top marks

A key reason why we shipped points to Raith was they looked like they wanted every single ball more than us and that gave them the belief that they'd get something out the game.

If the significantly better players we have in every position showed that application and desire from Kick Off through to final whistle in every match (surely a reasonable expectation?) we'd be several points clear at the top rather than in second place.

Brightside
28-12-2016, 11:17 AM

A key reason why we shipped points to Raith was they looked like they wanted every single ball more than us and that gave them the belief that they'd get something out the game.

If the significantly better players we have in every position showed that application and desire from Kick Off through to final whistle in every match (surely a reasonable expectation?) we'd be several points clear at the top rather than in second place.

Were you not at the game?

Basildon Hibs
28-12-2016, 11:19 AM
It was nothing to do with bottle as you rightly question.

On a day we had our shooting boots on we could have won 3 4 or even 5-1 on Saturday. All teams have games like that. I thought we played some decent stuff. Let's hope we have far better games in front of goal in the games ahead and we will be okay.

Mon the Cabbage

Aye. But we have days like that every week. We have done for the past two seasons. I've been saying that for ages. We couldn't score in a barrel of fannies.

There's been too much emphasis on bolstering the midfield with players over the seasons and now we're top-heavy with them. How hard is it to sign a couple of guys that can stick the ball in the net?

Hibs try to over-complicate things. Fitba's quite simple really...😋

The Leith Dutch
28-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Were you not at the game?

I was - Season Ticket in the East but I work in London so probably get to two thirds of the home games.

We outplayed them as a football team yes but for me they consistently showed far more more intensity and desire all over the pitch to close down options and win 50/50 balls. They looked intent on getting something from the game and we looked like we expected it which is dangerous.

The OP was about that mentality and our lack of it (or at least that's how I read it) .
I think that mentality - rather than footballing ability - is what leads teams like Raith to score from a handful of chances which, when combined with our ability to either create poor chances or squander decent ones, leads to us shipping points.

Yesterday was typical of what we've been doing during our stay in the Championship (and before) - play better football than other teams, create more chances and come away without 3 points after they nick a goal or we just fail to put the ball in the net.

I don't want to see a team of de Graaf and James Collins running around like headless chickens but I do want to see a notch up in the intensity we play with - I want teams to feel like they're beaten before a ball is kicked and it's a matter of how many which is pretty much how the Yams strolled the league.

For the record - I'm not massively negative about the situation or having an epic paddy of Sack the board, Lennon and bring in 25 new players as they plus the new manager will be the answer *this* time. We do however have to address the fact that signing better players and playing better football than the opposition over the 90 minutes needs to be backed up with 3 points more often than once every other game.

Itsnoteasy
28-12-2016, 12:49 PM

The only bit you missed was The Next 3 Games Thread.

Dundee Hibee
28-12-2016, 12:50 PM
United are ahead at the moment and deservedly so, to go on a 14 game unbeaten run (12 of which were wins I think) is impressive regardless of the league.

They now have the winning mentality and are taking 3 points when not playing well and when down to 10 men, they have momentum and we have to try and halt this asap in my opinion.

I know it's early days in the championship race but I don't think we can afford to lose again against them this season and the game on 6th Jan, for me, is a must win.

Smartie
28-12-2016, 01:17 PM

Not bad, but I'd have been tempted to go with "a heart the size of a pea" instead of "mattress soaked in wee".

Velma Dinkley
28-12-2016, 01:38 PM
How many players have Dundee United wrongly had sent off so far this season?

28-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Fair play to Utd, they as a team have gelled much faster than anybody expected but i am disappointed that we have let them get back into this race. After the way we started, it was looking like we would be well ahead by now but sadly we've failed to win too many games since then.

We are badly missing key players but nevertheless we still should be beating teams like Morton, Raith etc. We are our own worst enemy at times because we dominate games but just cannot convert the chances, then we go and lose goals on the oppositions first attack/chance. Incredibly frustrating. Teams know they don't have to create very much against us to get a goal. If they sit tight and wait for a break they know they can hurt us.

Utd are no world beaters though. They got lucky at tannadice a few weeks back. It was a story of the 2 penalties. Felt we at very least deserved a a draw but end of the day we blew our big chance and they took theirs so we really only have ourselves to blame.

ehf
28-12-2016, 02:16 PM
I was - Season Ticket in the East but I work in London so probably get to two thirds of the home games.

We outplayed them as a football team yes but for me they consistently showed far more more intensity and desire all over the pitch to close down options and win 50/50 balls. They looked intent on getting something from the game and we looked like we expected it which is dangerous.

The OP was about that mentality and our lack of it (or at least that's how I read it) .
I think that mentality - rather than footballing ability - is what leads teams like Raith to score from a handful of chances which, when combined with our ability to either create poor chances or squander decent ones, leads to us shipping points.

Yesterday was typical of what we've been doing during our stay in the Championship (and before) - play better football than other teams, create more chances and come away without 3 points after they nick a goal or we just fail to put the ball in the net.

I don't want to see a team of de Graaf and James Collins running around like headless chickens but I do want to see a notch up in the intensity we play with - I want teams to feel like they're beaten before a ball is kicked and it's a matter of how many which is pretty much how the Yams strolled the league.

For the record - I'm not massively negative about the situation or having an epic paddy of Sack the board, Lennon and bring in 25 new players as they plus the new manager will be the answer *this* time. We do however have to address the fact that signing better players and playing better football than the opposition over the 90 minutes needs to be backed up with 3 points more often than once every other game.

Overall, the performance on Saturday was an improvement on that at Cappielow (and even the home win v Dumbarton); if one of the early chances had been taken, it would have been a different game; if Commons had dealt properly with the outball in the lead up to the Raith goal insted of pathetically giving it back to them, it would have been a different game. But there is a lack of intensity, composure, commitment, organisation and clear, decisive, clinical decision-making and execution that is affecting too many of our players, too often, just now.

BH Hibs
28-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Anyone on here know how United got on against Raith and Morton the last time they played them? In fact I'll tell you they drew both matches same as us. Also in their last seven matches they have either drawn or won by the odd goal admittedly once against us. So all in all pretty similar results to ourselves when we by all accounts are struggling. Hardly worth bricking it about.

Dundee Hibee
28-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Without doubt their defence has been the rock they are built on, McKinnon concentrated on the defence pre-season and it has proved invaluable.

In the 14 games they have gone unbeaten they have only conceded 5 goals, quite remarkable really and in the coming transfer window he is looking to add fire power, I have to admit that I have a grudging respect for the way the man has gone about his business.

CallumLaidlaw
28-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Without doubt their defence has been the rock they are built on, McKinnon concentrated on the defence pre-season and it has proved invaluable.

In the 14 games they have gone unbeaten they have only conceded 5 goals, quite remarkable really and in the coming transfer window he is looking to add fire power, I have to admit that I have a grudging respect for the way the man has gone about his business.

Whilst I know what you mean, we've only conceded 10 in 18 games. 3 goals fewer than Utd. We've also scored 3 goals more than them. Only Ayr have scored more than 1 goal against us all season, yet we've drawn 6 games in 18. (Four 1-1 draws, and two 0-0 draws).

If we'd turned most of those draws to wins, we wouldn't be grudgingly praising Utd. The only reason they are top is our failure to not kill games off.

28-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Anyone on here know how United got on against Raith and Morton the last time they played them? In fact I'll tell you they drew both matches same as us. Also in their last seven matches they have either drawn or won by the odd goal admittedly once against us. So all in all pretty similar results to ourselves when we by all accounts are struggling. Hardly worth bricking it about.

I don't think anyones "bricking it", it's just disappointing that we have allowed the gap we had to close instead of building on it and dampening the hopes of Utd. Instead we have let them get right back in it which has no doubt boosted their morale. A few months ago folk were saying the league would be all but over by Xmas.

Borderhibbie76
28-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Was just gonna post this mate- not the world beaters some are making them out to be on here

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
28-12-2016, 06:18 PM
The first game at ER I thought United were terrible,we should have won easily but didn't due to our failings.I only saw the last game on TV and my main thought was that we had fallen to their level not that they had improved.Our main players were missing and w made a lunatic decision over who was to take the penalty.

Danderhall Hibs
28-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Whilst I know what you mean, we've only conceded 10 in 18 games. 3 goals fewer than Utd. We've also scored 3 goals more than them. Only Ayr have scored more than 1 goal against us all season, yet we've drawn 6 games in 18. (Four 1-1 draws, and two 0-0 draws).

If we'd turned most of those draws to wins, we wouldn't be grudgingly praising Utd. The only reason they are top is our failure to not kill games off.

Good post. It's been a problem for a few seasons now and when raised it's been shot down by claims of "if we win 1-0 every week..." unfortunatelybthe 1-0s soon turn into 1-1s.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2016, 07:53 PM
It might not be won for us in the next two games but it could certainly be lost. Lose them and end up 8 points behind and we ain't clawing that back.

As for not putting pressure on them, they've done that all by themselves by dropping far too many points.

Even if we fell eight points behind them i would not be handing over the trophy in Jan better teams than Utd have fallen away under pressure.

Weir07
28-12-2016, 08:42 PM
As it stands, I think Dundee Utd have been stronger mentality wise than us, I don't think Hibs have won any real key games, Utd at home to go 11 clear, Utd away to go 6 clear, Falkirk at home against 10, Morton away after Utd dropped points away to Raith and finally Raith at home to drop to second. Whereas Utd appear to be able to dig out results without playing spectacularly. Think that's the most worrying thing from my perspective. I personally put this mostly down to Lennon, who I think has been poor to date and I don't see much changing if I'm perfectly honest. To strike a bit of balance, two credible away draws when down to 10 for about half the game shows something.

majorhibs
28-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Even if we fell eight points behind them i would not be handing over the trophy in Jan better teams than Utd have fallen away under pressure.

They dont have big pressure. They were just relegated miserably, they are enjoying this. Get your heads out the chloroform, this team we are up against are really in a good position at this moment. They are loving where theyre at. 1 team under pressure, ours, we are desperate for a return. They, right now, are coasting & havin a ball, against an opposition with a total squillion head in the clouders who, still, insist we are going to - cant even say the stoopid dreamed up word - pish this league. Seriously. When we are behind at halfway on points & head to heads. Fool fans, just really wish this team would eventually STEP UP! It's there for the takin.

InchHibby
29-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Well everybody else has had there say, I might as well add my tuppence worth.
Truth is Utd are better than us at the moment, only because there putting the ball in the net more often. We are playing the best football in the league, no doubt about that, but as we all know, that doesn't guarantee you points.
We were unfortunate with injuries, we were unfortunate with Bartleys red cards and possibly a fair amount of other bad refereeing decisions.
However, with the squad we have we should be about four or five points ahead of second placed.
I personally think that with two or three good signings, early January and whenFyvie and McGinn return from injury and not to mention Mcgeoch back to playing as we know he can, there was evidence of this on Saturday, then yes I do think we will win this league, maybe not in the manner some suggested at the start of the campaign, but yes, by seven or eight points.
In the meantime let's fill the home end on Friday and for that matter, all remaining home fixtures.
Cmon let's get positive.

Onion
29-12-2016, 08:34 AM
They dont have big pressure. They were just relegated miserably, they are enjoying this. Get your heads out the chloroform, this team we are up against are really in a good position at this moment. They are loving where theyre at. 1 team under pressure, ours, we are desperate for a return. They, right now, are coasting & havin a ball, against an opposition with a total squillion head in the clouders who, still, insist we are going to - cant even say the stoopid dreamed up word - pish this league. Seriously. When we are behind at halfway on points & head to heads. Fool fans, just really wish this team would eventually STEP UP! It's there for the takin.

:agree: Totally agree, United will be under zero pressure and relishing this challenge. They were in disarray at the start of the season and probably hoping for a PO place at best, but instead they have watched Hibs stutter and stumble their way to Xmas and find themselves in pole position. All the pressure is and will remain on Lennon and Hibs, no matter what McGeough says in the media. Hibs need to focus on putting the ball in the friggin net.

SkintHibby
29-12-2016, 09:10 AM
If (and it's a big IF) United go 8 clear in two games then confidence and momentum will make them unstoppable IMHO.

This is not defeatism, it's just something I've seen regularly in nearly 4 decades of following football.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2016, 09:11 AM
The next two league games are huge. I'm feeling the pressure already.

Smartie
29-12-2016, 09:20 AM
If (and it's a big IF) United go 8 clear in two games then confidence and momentum will make them unstoppable IMHO.

This is not defeatism, it's just something I've seen regularly in nearly 4 decades of following football.

Even if they go 8 points ahead it will be interesting to see how they bounce back the next time they lose a game.

The momentum's with them right now, but that won't be the case all the way to the end of the season.

SkintHibby
29-12-2016, 09:23 AM
When Hibs were relegated in the late 90', after the home deafeat to Stranraer, every week thereafter you could feel the momentum and confidence in the team growing until we became eventual champions.

Right now, you could apply this to Dundee United. Can any of you honestly say this could apply to Hibs right now?

#FromTheCapital
29-12-2016, 09:34 AM
The momentum's with them right now, but that won't be the case all the way to the end of the season.

I remember thinking this about hearts in their championship season and Rangers last season. The fact of the matter is that we can't rely on other teams slipping up or losing momentum, we need to start winning our games then the rest takes care of itself.

Sammy7nil
29-12-2016, 11:54 AM
:agree: Totally agree, United will be under zero pressure and relishing this challenge. They were in disarray at the start of the season and probably hoping for a PO place at best, but instead they have watched Hibs stutter and stumble their way to Xmas and find themselves in pole position. All the pressure is and will remain on Lennon and Hibs, no matter what McGeough says in the media. Hibs need to focus on putting the ball in the friggin net.

Yeah that is right no pressure for Utd they don't really want or need promotion :confused::rolleyes:
The pressure may not have been huge at the start of the season but it will build and build and believe me they will feel it.

green&left
29-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Dundee Utd have sold their initial 1000 and are getting an extra 900 tomorrow. Assuming for the top tier if sales for us are going as well as people are saying they are?

CallumLaidlaw
29-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Yeah that is right no pressure for Utd they don't really want or need promotion :confused::rolleyes:
The pressure may not have been huge at the start of the season but it will build and build and believe me they will feel it.

Surely financially, Dundee Utd are under more pressure than us? Yes they have the parachute payments, but our cup final boost and st sales/increase in attendances must put us in a better position than them?

I coach with a Utd fan and he is delighted with what McKinnons done but he is still adamant they have to go back up this season.

Smartie
29-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Most United fans I know would have settled for a playoff place at the start of the season.

There is still a perception in some quarters that the Championship side has a decent chance in the playoffs (although we've made heavy weather of it over the past 2 seasons).

I reckon their ambitions will be getting a bit higher after the start they've made though.

I'd have thought they'd be in a more perilous financial state than us too, but I think they were fairly realistic about their chances when they found themselves relegated and in the same league as ourselves. I think they have managed to restrict their outgoings well this season - we'll be spending bucketloads more than them.

majorhibs
30-12-2016, 12:33 AM
Even if they go 8 points ahead it will be interesting to see how they bounce back the next time they lose a game.

Surely financially, Dundee Utd are under more pressure than us? Yes they have the parachute payments, but our cup final boost and st sales/increase in attendances must put us in a better position than them?

I coach with a Utd fan and he is delighted with what McKinnons done but he is still adamant they have to go back up this season.

The teams usually promoted DO NOT lose many games. I.E? newco last year & poppy thieves year before. & us when doin it 2 X in my lifetime before. But you lot dream on into D Utd are maybe gonna slip this, poss. drop that, just like the eye was off the ball huns & charity thieves. I just cannae seem to fathom this breed on here nowadays, it will all be alright when/come good when players back/forwards click/mids start scorin/new signings blah! Points on effing boards, lead, PLEASE! Neccessary!

BullsCloseHibs
30-12-2016, 01:41 AM
Take em on the out of town coke alert 😘

BullsCloseHibs
30-12-2016, 01:47 AM

Sore Hibs LOSERS.

lest ye not forget you Comic book fags

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-12-2016, 01:57 AM
Sore Hibs LOSERS.

lest ye not forget you Comic book fags

:cup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-12-2016, 02:39 AM
Take em on the out of town coke alert 😘

Eh?

Tyler Durden
30-12-2016, 07:14 AM
As it stands, I think Dundee Utd have been stronger mentality wise than us, I don't think Hibs have won any real key games, Utd at home to go 11 clear, Utd away to go 6 clear, Falkirk at home against 10, Morton away after Utd dropped points away to Raith and finally Raith at home to drop to second. Whereas Utd appear to be able to dig out results without playing spectacularly. Think that's the most worrying thing from my perspective. I personally put this mostly down to Lennon, who I think has been poor to date and I don't see much changing if I'm perfectly honest. To strike a bit of balance, two credible away draws when down to 10 for about half the game shows something.

You're spot on and this is one of the reasons I'm struggling for any positivity re Lennon.

We got all the chat (from fans admittedly) when he came in about Lennon adding a winning mentality and a ruthlessness. Instead we have poor football, a manager talking down our players, seemingly doing little to build any rapport with the fans and worst of all no real important wins.

There's time to turn it around but it needs to start asap

Baldy Foghorn
31-12-2016, 04:18 PM

1 point ahead instead:aok:

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Big test for them ahead - coming of such a great run and ending it at Dumbarton. How will they react?

Carheenlea
31-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Can we let that Resident Arab fellow back in for some entertainment over the new year festivities...?

Jones28
31-12-2016, 04:21 PM
For the avoidance of doubt, should have said it in August when I 1st thought it, absolutly ANYBODY who has come across with this skoosh sh#t*, you are an absolute, unadultered, huge, TUBE. Should have said it ages ago. Have now. But what imbeciles to come out with idiotic drivel like that. Just so much wrong with that pish.

Just want to flag this post up and say you can away and do one. Not because of today's result, just because 👍

DaveF
31-12-2016, 04:22 PM
1 point ahead instead:aok:

Today is a real boost. Not only back top, but ahead on points.

If we can stay there after next week, get McGinn and Fyvie back soon after, then that is real optimism for the run in.

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2016, 04:28 PM
-Back on top
-United lose long unbeaten record to a low-placed side and must react to that
-Home game coming up against them at packed ER
-Winger with pacy rep (at last) signed
-Star midfielders and keeper on the mend

We should be happy going into 2017.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2016, 04:30 PM
United would be worried if they weren't clearly better than us.

Baldy Foghorn
31-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Today is a real boost. Not only back top, but ahead on points.

If we can stay there after next week, get McGinn and Fyvie back soon after, then that is real optimism for the run in.

Missed these two badly, and still top. Humphrey signing gives us wide options. Happy days:aok:

Pretty Boy
31-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Can see it being nip and tuck for the next wee while. United were always going to slip up and it was up to us to take advantage, today we did and now we need to consolidate next week.

Utd will slip up again, we need to take advantage again. We will slip up again and need to make sure we bounce back immediately. It's going to be a proper title race imo.

Baldy Foghorn
31-12-2016, 04:35 PM
-Back on top
-United lose long unbeaten record to a low-placed side and must react to that
-Home game coming up against them at packed ER
-Winger with pacy rep (at last) signed
-Star midfielders and keeper on the mend

We should be happy going into 2017.

:flag:

Booked4Being-Ugly
31-12-2016, 04:39 PM
I think we'll skoosh the league from here now.

Golden Bear
31-12-2016, 04:40 PM
The hunter became the hunted and couldn't cope with the pressure.

:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Can see it being nip and tuck for the next wee while. United were always going to slip up and it was up to us to take advantage, today we did and now we need to consolidate next week.

Utd will slip up again, we need to take advantage again. We will slip up again and need to make sure we bounce back immediately. It's going to be a proper title race imo.

How United react to this setback is big. They have come off a great run, and rode their luck a lot of times during the course of it. (According to a couple of Arabs I know at any rate.) When you have that going on, you think it's written in the stars. A reverse, and you start questioning things again.

I agree, and I think it'll be a tight race from here on in. But I sense that if anybody is going to run away with it, it's now more likely to be us than them. Today, and that late goal, were huge in that momentum switch, but not yet in any way decisive.

snooky
31-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Doesn't matter if the Arabs scraped some results. They got the points. Doesn't matter if we should have won several games because we were the better team. We didn't and lost the points. That's all history now.
What matters is the results still to come. We're top of the league so our destiny is in our hands.

CallumLaidlaw
31-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Looks like they missed Andreu today. Wonder if he'll be fit for Friday?

They certainly don't score a lot of goals.

Jim44
31-12-2016, 05:52 PM
I think we'll skoosh the league from here now.

Have the admins not put a filter on 'skoosh' yet?

majorhibs
31-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Have the admins not put a filter on 'skoosh' yet?

Too many hard of thinking are into it.

greenlex
31-12-2016, 10:01 PM
If Squirrel had converted that pen we would 5 points clear.

Waxy
31-12-2016, 10:10 PM
We would have won which means they get 3pts taken off and we get 3pts added. By my calculation that means we would have been 7pts clear had Squirrel converted that pen. Am i right?

HoboHarry
31-12-2016, 10:11 PM
I honestly think that if it had gone in we would currently be 7 points clear.....

greenlex
31-12-2016, 10:15 PM
We would have won which means they get 3pts taken off and we get 3pts added. By my calculation that means we would have been 7pts clear had Squirrel converted that pen. Am i right?

One each. We gain one and they lose two.
Ifs and buts mind.

silverhibee
31-12-2016, 10:16 PM
It never went in though.

HoboHarry
31-12-2016, 10:17 PM
One each. We gain one and they lose two.
Ifs and buts mind.
Obviously just an opinion but had we scored first we would have won......

greenlex
31-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Obviously just an opinion but had we scored first we would have won......

Quite possibly but it is ifs and buts. Just kinda pointing out how fine the margins are and howagame or season can depend on them.
Christ I sound like a bald magic hat wearing fanny.

HoboHarry
31-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Quite possibly but it is ifs and buts. Just kinda pointing out how fine the margins are and howagame or season can depend on them.
Christ I sound like a bald magic hat wearing fanny.
Does your wife think that you are?

:greengrin

greenlex
31-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Does your wife think that you are?

:greengrin

She does like my magic wand.😎

PatHead
14-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Not trying to be smug but how do the ones saying we need players, rubbish manager, prepare for playoffs etc feel now?

lord bunberry
14-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Not trying to be smug but how do the ones saying we need players, rubbish manager, prepare for playoffs etc feel now?
Mainly wrong :greengrin

pacoluna
14-01-2017, 10:11 PM

Lol what a pessimistic view imo, nothing nip and tick about it, hibs carry on what they are doing and promoition will be guaranteed, morton are just as much a threat as Dundee united if a threat at all.

RoYO!
14-01-2017, 10:14 PM

Did they say these things prior to commons coming in? Perhaps they feel they've been proved right?! :P

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Lol what a pessimistic view imo, nothing nip and tick about it, hibs carry on what they are doing and promoition will be guaranteed, morton are just as much a threat as Dundee united if a threat at all.

Don't see what's pessimistic about what I said. I said we had to consolidate what we had gained when Utd slipped up at Dumbarton and we did by beating Utd last week. I said Utd would slip up again and we had to make sure we took advantage when it happened and we did. I also don't think it's unrealistic to suggest we will have the odd slip between now and the end of the season and that bouncing back is important. The gap isn't that big that 2 bad results in a row couldn't potentially drag it back to nip and tuck.

Stating the obvious as opposed to being negative imo.

Dashing Bob S
14-01-2017, 10:21 PM

We're in the driving seat now and it's up to us to stay there. I had a feeling that United would drop points today and they did, but I think the late comeback will inspire them and they'll now get over their wobble and return to grinding out results. Morton have the momentum now but a weaker pool and are vulnerable to injury and suspension.

It won't be plain sailing but we should be looking to escape from the championship with a bit of verve. Not to be arrogant but today at Dumbarton showed that a club like Hibs shouldn't be playing league football in that environment.

high bee
14-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Don't see what's pessimistic about what I said. I said we had to consolidate what we had gained when Utd slipped up at Dumbarton and we did by beating Utd last week. I said Utd would slip up again and we had to make sure we took advantage when it happened and we did. I also don't think it's unrealistic to suggest we will have the odd slip between now and the end of the season and that bouncing back is important. The gap isn't that big that 2 bad results in a row couldn't potentially drag it back to nip and tuck.

Stating the obvious as opposed to being negative imo.

Agreed, we've gone from 2 behind to 6 ahead in 3 games shows how quickly things can change. Hopefully we keep picking up 3 points while they slip up so when we do hit the rough patch, we will be too far ahead for it to matter.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Agreed, we've gone from 2 behind to 6 ahead in 3 games shows how quickly things can change. Hopefully we keep picking up 3 points while they slip up so when we do hit the rough patch, we will be too far ahead for it to matter.

Absolutely.

We had a rought patch that gave Dundee Utd a sniff and they took it. We got ourselves together and got 2 huge results at Falkirk and at home to Utd and have taken advatage of their poor spell.

We are in a great position now and I believe we will gain more points that Utd between now and the end of the season but things can change quickly so I don't really see still being cautious at the moment as being 'negative'.

neil7908
14-01-2017, 10:37 PM
We are in a very promising position but still a long way to go and the players and fans need to keep their minds focused on the next game and the next game only.

Still a lot of football to be played.

14-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Great result today. Lets just keep winning and then no matter what Utd do it wont matter. This is in our hands so lets keep it that way

snooky
14-01-2017, 11:21 PM

I don't like any kind of speculation, TBH.
My mantra is let's take one game at a time and see where we finish up.
We've seen before how a couple of silly results from any of the front runners can turn things on its head in no time.
Nae skoosher & nae doomers, please.

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2017, 11:49 PM
anyone think the dundee united striker simon murray could do a job for us(next season)

hibees 7062
14-01-2017, 11:52 PM
anyone think the dundee united striker simon murray could do a job for us(next season)

We've already tried to get him

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2017, 11:54 PM
We've already tried to get him

oh right, this window or pre-season one ? get him up top with cummings next season :)

Mikey09
15-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Utd's Scottish cup tie with Ross County is huge for there confidence. They win and I think they'll pick up... However if they take a battering they'll find it hard to lift themselves.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Utd's Scottish cup tie with Ross County is huge for there confidence. They win and I think they'll pick up... However if they take a battering they'll find it hard to lift themselves.

Why would that have any bearing on things?

Ross County are the Premiership team so they should be expected to win the tie. Dundee Utd have little pressure on them next week.

I also don't think a win for them would have any significant impact on how they'll get on for the rest of the league season.

DH1875
15-01-2017, 12:37 AM

I hope they win. Adds another high impact game to their schedule and puts more strain on their squad.

NAE NOOKIE
15-01-2017, 12:42 AM
I hope they win. Adds another high impact game to their schedule and puts more strain on their squad.

This ... nobody knows better than us how a cup run can put a strain on your efforts in the league.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2017, 12:51 AM

Yes, like our fabulous cup run did wonders for our league form. (Not that I'm complaining...)

NAE NOOKIE
15-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Our next 3 are QOTS away ..... Ayr Utd home .... Raith Rovers away ................... QOTS away is always difficult but we should have too much for Ayr Utd and RR, though I've no doubt Raith will do their best to give us a tough game.

Dundee Utd have Dunfermline away ..... Raith Rovers home .... St Mirren away, though that's been postponed. Dunfermline could be a banana skin for Utd, but they should beat RR at Tannadice. The fact that their game with St Mirren has been moved to a later date could benefit us because in their current form they would have been a gimmie for Utd.

If we can win our next 3 and Utd their next 2 we would be 9 points ahead with a goal difference that would effectively make it 10, though Utd would have that game in hand .... points in the bag are always better though.

California-Hibs
15-01-2017, 01:18 AM

You would of thought they'd pick up after beating us at Tanadice. They didn't.

Hibs for the league.

truehibernian
15-01-2017, 02:00 AM
You would of thought they'd pick up after beating us at Tanadice. They didn't.

Hibs for the league.

To be fair they did - it's only last 3 games they've faltered and we've picked up wins rather than draws

pacoluna
15-01-2017, 04:47 AM
Who cares about Dundee united? Why are so many people on this Worried about them, their incomparable to hibs.

mutley
15-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Who cares about Dundee united? Why are so many people on this Worried about them, their incomparable to hibs.

I don't think anyone is overly worried, but in the back of my mind (and I'm sure I speak for many) is that the thought of a few slip ups and another round of play-offs, and then -God forbid- another season in the championship is totally unbearable.

We have a nice wee comfort blanket over Utd now, but I want us to build it higher and get the league put to bed ASAP.

As someone has already mentioned, they are in a similar position that we were in last year, where we made up the points difference but then went into free fall and were over taken and ended up 3rd.

PatHead
15-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Spoke to my brother and his son who are Arabs they thought cammy bell should have done better with 2 of the queens goals yesterday. The second went through a defenders legs, then through his. The 3rd was a shot from outside the box. A few weeks ago that didn't happen to them. Maybe their luck and momentum has gone.

Marco G
15-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Spoke to my brother and his son who are Arabs they thought cammy bell should have done better with 2 of the queens goals yesterday. The second went through a defenders legs, then through his. The 3rd was a shot from outside the box. A few weeks ago that didn't happen to them. Maybe their luck and momentum has gone.
Sounds like Bell is making a habit of it, since all three of our goals went through his legs as well (I think).

15-01-2017, 01:27 PM

I don't think anybodys overly worried but they are our title challengers so of course we are going to take an interest in them. The gap we have is good but the league is far from wrapped up. If we just keep winning though then it wont matter what Utd do, we must keep this in our own hands, we don't want to have to rely on other teams doing us favours.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Just like Falkirk were last season? We care about them because, like it or not, the second tier of Scottish football is where we are right now and they are our main rivals if we want to GTF out of it.

Oscar T Grouch
15-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Ideal scenario imo, in fact my ideal scenario is they get through to the semi's and get put out by us again. We then go on and beat hertz in the final, breaking another hoodoo of the last three years when the winner against Raith wins the final. Retaining the cup will destroy their support, no longer financially doped they realise that they are going to be dominated by the team in green for the foreseeable future as they struggle selling their best players to pay for their new stand and the upkeep of the three pink stand which are coming to the end of their life soon. That all on top of paying through the nose for 'their' training facilities. Plus they'll have to watch us invest in our playing side, become the 2nd best team in the country and challenge for cups every season. Seems only fair :greengrin

Mikey09
16-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Why would that have any bearing on things?

Ross County are the Premiership team so they should be expected to win the tie. Dundee Utd have little pressure on them next week.

I also don't think a win for them would have any significant impact on how they'll get on for the rest of the league season.

Because winning games breeds confidence? However as I said if they took a battering that would be 4 games without a win. Like it or not that gets in players heads.

Mikey09
16-01-2017, 01:30 AM

You don't care about their results?! I get that we worry about ourselves first and foremost but I've been delighted at Utd's recent results.

jgl07
16-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Yes, like our fabulous cup run did wonders for our league form. (Not that I'm complaining...)
Hibs problem was that the cup run included two replays with the added complication of a League Cup Final.

That caught up with Hibs in the playoffs. I am not sure the cup run had that much effect on Hibs league slump.

In the first round of fixtures Hibs won 7 and lost 2 away matches (Rangers and Dumbarton). In the second round Hibs did not win an away match and drew 4 losing 5.

Marco G
16-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Hibs problem was that the cup run included two replays with the added complication of a League Cup Final.

That caught up with Hibs in the playoffs. I am not sure the cup run had that much effect on Hibs league slump.

In the first round of fixtures Hibs won 7 and lost 2 away matches (Rangers and Dumbarton). In the second round Hibs did not win an away match and drew 4 losing 5.
Yes, but we ended up with a lot of league games in hand, then had to play two games a week right through the end of season.

So I would be happy for Utd to draw at Ross County and get fixture build up!

oneone73
16-01-2017, 09:15 AM

We also postponed a couple of games due to international call-ups.

hibby67
16-01-2017, 09:25 AM
I think if Morton can win their game in hand and put some pressure on UTD it will have them looking over their shoulder at them.
I think this happened to us last year Falkirk went on a run and put pressure on us. it turned into a dog fight as to who would finished 2nd and let The Rangers run away with the league
hopefully the same can happen this year to our benefit.

InchHibby
16-01-2017, 09:40 AM
The best way to win this league is to keep winning our matches. Let's not worry what anyone else is doing, even if their winning every week. As long as we keep getting results that's all that matters. Wouldn't like to give anyone the opportunity to say, we only won it because other teams dropped points against each other.
If both Utd and Morton keep winning it will keep us on our toes and before we know it the title will be ours.
I also reckon we have the players to take us far in the Scottish Cup but if not, no great loss.

H18 SFR
21-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Just watched the highlights - a team ready to go into free fall. They lose next week against the Pars and they will be lucky to collect 3 Pts from the next 15.

I'm going to call it - Morton to finish second (I realise this isn't a particularly bold call).

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 11:41 PM
They are *****, always have been this season and will be lucky to finish second.

Mikey09
21-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Do the bed wetters still think Utd have a better team and manager?

Rangers visitor
22-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Just watched the highlights - a team ready to go into free fall. They lose next week against the Pars and they will be lucky to collect 3 Pts from the next 15.

I'm going to call it - Morton to finish second (I realise this isn't a particularly bold call).

I'd bank on 'Ton rather than United in any play offs

HibbyAndy
22-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Dundee utd will be nowhere near Hibs come May but they will finish 2nd.

HoboHarry
22-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Do the bed wetters still think Utd have a better team and manager?
Now now, lets be positive about this. Perhaps call them alternative thinkers? :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
22-01-2017, 04:46 PM

This is the correct assessment.

SanFranHibs
22-01-2017, 04:59 PM

That has been my view since the season started. I am confident we will be around the 10 points clear at the end, maybe more, but I still think United will finish second. They may not be that good but I still don't look at anyone below them that could be 'expected' to go on a long unbeaten run.

But as long as Hibs keep pulling away, even slowly, I will be quite content.

pacoluna
25-01-2017, 02:46 PM
some team from moldova have just had the audacity to offer £40,000 for simon Murray £40,000!!!

hibees 7062
25-01-2017, 03:04 PM
some team from moldova have just had the audacity to offer £40,000 for simon Murray £40,000!!!

His contracts out in the summer , Inverness in for him

They want 250k for him

Big L
25-01-2017, 03:20 PM
I suggested we went for him before the season started. He is pacy direct and he scores goals, has a big future IMO.

hibees 7062
25-01-2017, 03:22 PM
I suggested we went for him before the season started. He is pacy direct and he scores goals, has a big future IMO.

He's 25 in March . I thought he was much younger

offshorehibby
25-01-2017, 03:28 PM

I'm sure it was stated on here that Hibs maybe looked at him if somebody had come in for an offer for Cummings.

Rangers visitor
25-01-2017, 05:38 PM
I'm sure it was stated on here that Hibs maybe looked at him if somebody had come in for an offer for Cummings.

mmmmm..........?

Big L
25-01-2017, 07:17 PM

Hibs made an offer on the last day and Dun Utd knocked it back saying they weren't selling to the opposition. His old man played for HiBS!

Dunbar Hibee
25-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Fairly sure we offered a figure not far from that at the start of the season?

WeeRussell
25-01-2017, 07:36 PM
mmmmm..........?

Is this roaster still here?

Itsnoteasy
25-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Is this roaster still here?

Seems to be.

Jack Hackett
25-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Seems to be.

Bad smells linger longer

Dalianwanda
25-01-2017, 08:00 PM
mmmmm..........?

What does that mean? An offer that was acceptable, every player has his price.

pacoluna
25-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Fairly sure we offered a figure not far from that at the start of the season?

If so what a joke.

Itsnoteasy
25-01-2017, 08:27 PM
mmmmm..........?

Has your old man just finished with you.
Thought he would have said mmmmmm...

Ringothedog
25-01-2017, 08:36 PM
If so what a joke.

Why ? Hibs made a speculative offer and it wasn't accepted, big deal.

Albanian Hibs
25-01-2017, 08:38 PM
mmmmm..........?

Go away.........

bigwheel
25-01-2017, 08:58 PM
mmmmm..........?

You're like the guy with nae mates at a party...trying to join in everyone else's conversations

WeeRussell
26-01-2017, 12:56 PM
You're like the guy with nae mates at a party...trying to join in everyone else's conversations

Nice to see the hosts have just booted him out for being too drunk :greengrin

jacomo
26-01-2017, 01:37 PM
mmmmm..........?

Lol.

You can't afford him.

Where is the money?

HoboHarry
26-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Lol.

You can't afford him.

Where is the money?
You are talking to yourself mate - he got launched by the admins.......

pacoluna
26-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Why ? Hibs made a speculative offer and it wasn't accepted, big deal.

Ridiculous to think dundee united would accept 40g for their top striker regardless of financial troubles their having.

jacomo
26-01-2017, 08:33 PM
You are talking to yourself mate - he got launched by the admins.......

Oh well.

Marco G
26-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Ridiculous to think dundee united would accept 40g for their top striker regardless of financial troubles their having.
Except, he was not their top striker, and was lucky to get off the bench then! Still is used mainly as a sub. So they were rebuilding at the time and he could have been surplus like many others. Given that, any offer seems reasonable to me!

Thecat23
26-01-2017, 08:52 PM
mmmmm..........?

£1000 says Cummings doesn't join The Rangers!

HibbyAndy
26-01-2017, 09:14 PM

To be fair there is probably every chance JC will join Rangers in the summer but he sure as hell aint going nowhere in this window , And if he can get us out this mickey mouse league and we get a Million plus for him then he goes with my blessing.

Topographic Hibby
26-01-2017, 10:04 PM
....every chance JC will join Rangers in the summer .... and we get a Million plus for him.....

....Rangers pay us £1m+ cash....!! I see a possible flaw there - even in the summer with ST cash, they won't be throwing cash around and certainly not to us!!

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Thought this was a Dundee United thread and not a Hun fantasy transfer targets one. We already have one of those on here and there are several in the Daily Record and Sun if people feel this fascinating topic hasn't had the coverage it deserves.

Back to United - I think they will finish second and then be monstered in the play offs by somebody like Ross County.

Ronniekirk
26-01-2017, 11:12 PM
Thought this was a Dundee United thread and not a Hun fantasy transfer targets one. We already have one of those on here and there are several in the Daily Record and Sun if people feel this fascinating topic hasn't had the coverage it deserves.

Back to United - I think they will finish second and then be monstered in the play offs by somebody like Ross County.
Ross County will do thier usual escape from the play off They always seem to bring in s wad o players that somehow have an immediate impact and start picking up points
They seem to have this down to a fine art so someone is doing a decent scouting job for them
One year it may not work but they have lasted longer in the tope league than i expeced

snooky
26-01-2017, 11:19 PM

Now that sounds like a good bet, TC.
I get Rangers and you get every other team in the world. :hmmm:

:bandit: :greengrin

Ozyhibby
26-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Ross County will do thier usual escape from the play off They always seem to bring in s wad o players that somehow have an immediate impact and start picking up points
They seem to have this down to a fine art so someone is doing a decent scouting job for them
One year it may not work but they have lasted longer in the tope league than i expeced

Dodgy financial dealings I think.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2017, 08:24 AM
mmmmm..........?

He'd just had his egg and soldiers.

H18 SFR
28-01-2017, 08:03 PM
That's them calling for Ray McKinnon to be sacked on the Utd fans forum. I predicted they would capitulate after we tanned them at ER - we will finish them off in a few weeks at Tannadice. By the time we are finished pumping them they will be behind Morton.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2017, 08:06 PM
On a scale of ''United are clearly better'' to ''Skooshing it'' I'd say we're 8 points clear.

Onion
28-01-2017, 08:11 PM
That's them calling for Ray McKinnon to be sacked on the Utd fans forum. I predicted they would capitulate after we tanned them at ER - we will finish them off in a few weeks at Tannadice. By the time we are finished pumping them they will be behind Morton.

McKinnon's done a decent job, given the mess Utd were in. It it is huge ask for them to win the league from a standing start against a resurgent Cup winning Hibs. Lennon and the boys seem to have the bit between their teeth and I can't see them letting go easily. Expect Hibs to be relentless and ruthless from now on, including making every effort to hold onto the Cup.

An 8 point lead is enough to make Utd start worrying about playoff positions, rather than chasing Hibs - a mindset that can only help Hibs.

Itsnoteasy
28-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Where is the Resident Arab.

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Where is the Resident Arab.

Trump cancelled his visa.

Callum_62
28-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Trump cancelled his visa.