PDA

View Full Version : Grant Holt

Pedantic_Hibee
24-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Just me who thought he was good today? Most around me bollocked him but I thought he was clever, strong and showed plenty skill.

Andy74
24-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Just me who thought he was good today? Most around me bollocked him but I thought he was clever, strong and showed plenty skill.

I thought he was good as well.

MWHIBBIES
He was good today. Everyone was good first half, we just needed to bury 1/2 of those chances and we win comfortably.

The_Horde

He was good. Another one who had a good chance and blew it though. Jason was rotten today, this made Holt look bad.

tamig
24-12-2016, 05:35 PM

Yes I thought he was decent today - especially first half. Suspect wewill be in a minority on here though based on some of the comments on other threads. Some folk just have to have their scapegoats.

BoomtownHibees
24-12-2016, 05:37 PM

I'm with you. Thought he was good

Carheenlea
24-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Yes, thought he had a very good game. Some fans will stubbornly stick to their guns and refuse to take to him regardless of performance, but I think he is a good asset. Needs to find his shooting boots mind you (as do they all..)

JimBHibees
24-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Thought he played well and is a leader. Great ball for Shinnie first half. Should stay in.

Ozyhibby
24-12-2016, 05:46 PM
3 goals before Xmas? It's like the odd time James Collins had a good game. Doesn't make up for the lack of goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
24-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I've given Holt pelters since he arrived. He can't jump 1" off the ground.
Nevertheless, I thought he played very well today with some nice touches and turns.
He even managed to get fouls when it was he who was doing the fouling.
The auld heid working :wink: Still can't jump though.
Oh for another Alan Gordon, or a pair of step-ladders.

lucky
24-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Played well but his lack of goals is his big let down since he joined Hibs

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 05:52 PM
3 goals before Xmas? It's like the odd time James Collins had a good game. Doesn't make up for the lack of goals.

Holt is twice the player Collins was and has had plenty of good games.

wookie70
24-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Not a fan of Holt generally, but he was good in the first half before tiring. Lots of clever footwork and good link play as he and the forward looking players looked like they knew each other for a change. He missed a good chance and failed to get a shot away on two other occasions. One he dummied and the ball ran away but there was no-one near him on the edge of the box. The other great ball down his outside that was dying to be hit but he tried a trick and never got a shot in. Even though he played well he never looked like scoring and is very short of confidence in front of goal and that for me would see Graham being given 3 games or so to see if he could get in the goals.

Centre Hawf
24-12-2016, 05:56 PM
I also have given Holt pelters since arriving but today was one of his better days. Some nice flicks and held the ball well. But like many have said he still cant score, doesn't win headers in the box, and is overall largely static when others are looking for him to make a run or a bit movement.

Step in the right direction but I still need more to make me think an upgrade isn't required in January.

iwasthere1972
24-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Had to laugh when someone in the FF Lower was giving Holt dogs abuse and the guy sitting a few seats away from him shouted out 'Holt dinnae listen to these fannies they know nothing. :greengrin

Waxy
24-12-2016, 05:59 PM
I also thought Holt had a good game. Dunno whats really up but the team look scared of not winning.

FitbaFolkKen
24-12-2016, 05:59 PM

I thought he was pretty good, turnsd out of several situations where you thought he would never get out with the ball.

Albanian Hibs
24-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Yes. Thought he hd a good game.

J-C
24-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Had a decent game and held the ball up pretty well, surprised how quick he can turn for a big overweight bloke, brought others into the game well.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2016, 06:14 PM
His general play is decent but he isn't really a threat. Our number 9 has 3 goals at Christmas which just kind of sums up our problems IMO.

Ozyhibby
24-12-2016, 06:18 PM
His general play is decent but he isn't really a threat. Our number 9 has 3 goals at Christmas which just kind of sums up our problems IMO.

That's exactly it. All the good stuff people are looking at happens well outside the box where he is allowed space. In the box he does absolutely nothing. At all.

hibee_girl
24-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Thought it was one of his best games for us today

fife hfc
24-12-2016, 06:24 PM
He played well in general play but we need a forward to get in the box and on the end of chances we create and he doesn't do that. He links well and holds the ball up but is rarely in the box and is not a goal threat so not what we require as with the midfield we have we will create chances so need a forward who will get in the end of things.

Onion
24-12-2016, 06:42 PM

:agree: Thought Holt was much better than Graham from last week. Decent target man and ok at bringing in other players, however I thought he was meant to be a striker (aka a goalscorer). Today, Holt was awful in front of goal, showed no scoring instincts and even when presented with the best cross of the game could not manage to head it in the general direction of the goal.

Bottom line, for a team playing in the Championship with aspirations and budget to win the league, Holt is simply not good enough. But that's not his fault.

Hiber-nation
24-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Works hard, nice touches but doesn't score goals and never looks like scoring goals which is no good for a Hibs striker in this pish league.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Grant holt played well today, am i really seeing this from folk? He done a couple of decent turns on the half way line, he found a man a a few times when out wide, but where we needed him to stand tall and be a presence he was again found wanting, and wandered out into space where the big bad centre halves wouldnt boss him.

He's a huddy, can't score, can't jump and shouldnt be anywhere near easter road, he's finished.

brianmc
24-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Holt was the only Hibs player today that managed to control a ball with his first touch. I thought he had a decent game. Cummings, Commons, McGeough and especially Shinnie had attempts to control balls today that wouldn't have looked it of place in an under 5's game.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Grant holt played well today, am i really seeing this from folk? He done a couple of decent turns on the half way line, he found a man a a few times when out wide, but where we needed him to stand tall and be a presence he was again found wanting, and wandered out into space where the big bad centre halves wouldnt boss him.

He's a huddy, can't score, can't jump and shouldnt be anywhere near easter road, he's finished.The centre-backs didn't boss him...

He played just fine and played a part in all the good things we were doing first half. He doesn't score enough but it wouldn't matter if we converted half the chances he plays a part in creating.

Cod Boy
24-12-2016, 07:38 PM

He's a huddy, can't score, can't jump and shouldnt be anywhere near easter road, he's finished.

Sums up how I seen it and feel.

bingo70
24-12-2016, 07:39 PM

I like him. I suspect my standards have been lowered in recent years though.

Ozyhibby
24-12-2016, 07:40 PM

100% correct

Brightside
24-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Hes a great player. just a shame so many of our "fans" are clueless.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2016, 07:42 PM

Agree, not particularly keen on having a go at any players but there is a danger that we end up settling for crumbs like decent performances etc. Goals win games.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

emerald green
24-12-2016, 07:48 PM

He's not a great player IMHO. It depends what your definition of a great player is though. Mine is someone like Cruyff, or Dalglish, or Stanton. Grant Holt couldn't lace these players boots.

jonny
24-12-2016, 07:58 PM
It seems from this thread that I'm in the minority but I thought he was absolutely woeful today.
He seemed to shrink a foot when he jumped, he was slow, clumsy, regularly out of position, wasteful in possession and every time he lost the ball he was looking for a foul that never was.
All about opinions I suppose and more often than not I tend to be in agreement with the majority on here but couldn't be further apart this evening as far as Holts performance today was concerned.

jonny
24-12-2016, 08:02 PM

We're clueless because we disagree with you? Why the sarcasm of quotation marks around "fans"?

Brightside
24-12-2016, 08:02 PM
He's not a great player IMHO. It depends what your definition of a great player is though. Mine is someone like Cruyff, or Dalglish, or Stanton. Grant Holt couldn't lace these players boots.

Don't be silly for the sake of it...

Ozyhibby
24-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Only 3 goals before Xmas? How many assists? He's a long way from even being a good player.

Smartie
24-12-2016, 08:05 PM
I thought he played well.

It's as tricky a conundrum as the Cummings one though - Holt links the play brilliantly and I think we look a far better side when he's playing but he carries little goal threat. Cummings is always a goal threat but when he's not scoring he's pretty anonymous - we didn't even get the benefit of his corners today.

I actually thought both the Raith centre-halves were superb today, the boy who scored the goal and the one with the highlights. They started to look a lot more uncomfortable when Boyle went on and started running at them and in behind them. He had a few poor games prior to today but I'd still be tempted to play Boyle somewhere. His pace makes us much more threatening.

Lennon really needs to get the final third sorted though. We're not going to win any league spurning chances like that. We're not losing many but we can't be relying on shutouts to win games.

Earlydelivery
24-12-2016, 08:06 PM
He's 36 and a player who's well past his sell by date .

hibbymick
24-12-2016, 08:10 PM

The sherry is meant to go in the trifle.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-12-2016, 08:12 PM
He did play well but what we need is a version of him who scores as well. I thought that he would be into double figures by now.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2016, 08:18 PM
The sherry is meant to go in the trifle.

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin

hibbymick
24-12-2016, 09:08 PM
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin

I would rather play Grant Stott.

BT58
24-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Oh for a striker who can actually do his job and HEAD THE BALL IN THE NET.Not head it back

Smartie
24-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Oh for a striker who can actually do his job and HEAD THE BALL IN THE NET.Not head it back

The thing is, Brian Graham can do that but you have to accept 90 minutes of the ball bouncing off him and us struggling to get the ball as close to the box as we do with Grant Holt with his support play.

Which one you choose seems to be a matter of personal choice, and I much prefer Holt.

I don't think Lennon knows which player he prefers.

macca70
24-12-2016, 09:38 PM
I thought he had a good game but it was frustrating the hell out of me that he was doing all his best work out wide or far too deep, he should be the one waiting in the box getting on the end of crosses.

Gmack7
24-12-2016, 09:44 PM
The thing is, Brian Graham can do that but you have to accept 90 minutes of the ball bouncing off him and us struggling to get the ball as close to the box as we do with Grant Holt with his support play.

Which one you choose seems to be a matter of personal choice, and I much prefer Holt.

I'm afraid both Holt and Graham aren't good enough, if NL wants a little and large combo these 2 won't cut it

Waxy
24-12-2016, 10:02 PM
A decent plus was James Keatings return. More options to find the key we're looking for.

cmcd
24-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Had to laugh when someone in the FF Lower was giving Holt dogs abuse and the guy sitting a few seats away from him shouted out 'Holt dinnae listen to these fannies they know nothing. :greengrin

Guilty

cmcd
24-12-2016, 10:22 PM

Rubbish

cmcd
24-12-2016, 10:23 PM

Agree

Sammy7nil
24-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Thought it was one of his best games for us today

And that sums up just how poor he has been in several games. His lack of goals and assists in this league is scary. I do support him but he rally needs to have an impact and soon.

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 10:41 PM
And that sums up just how poor he has been in several games. His lack of goals and assists in this league is scary. I do support him but he rally needs to have an impact and soon.

I'd say some players need to grow a pair and not 'break down' so regularly injured - Holt is definitely not a bad player, gives his all - wish a couple of others weren't made of balsa wood and really work hard for the squad !

BT58
24-12-2016, 10:45 PM

We need an alternative. Keatings and Boyle would be a fast alternative. However we need a firepower upfront. Jeezo , just glad im not the manager

scoopyboy
24-12-2016, 10:49 PM

I don't think he's a bad player but you will have to explain to me how he's great, I simply can't see it.

Sammy7nil
24-12-2016, 10:49 PM
I'd say some players need to grow a pair and not 'break down' so regularly injured - Holt is definitely not a bad player, gives his all - wish a couple of others weren't made of balsa wood and really work hard for the squad !

He was brought in to score and provide assists so far his record is very poor. I agree you cant fault his commitment but right now that is not enough we need goals.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 10:53 PM
I'd say some players need to grow a pair and not 'break down' so regularly injured - Holt is definitely not a bad player, gives his all - wish a couple of others weren't made of balsa wood and really work hard for the squad !Do you think Fyvie and McGeouch are injured so often because they have no bottle? That is a fine theory but I'm not sure it stands up to modern science. Or good old fashioned common sense...

And that sums up just how poor he has been in several games. His lack of goals and assists in this league is scary. I do support him but he rally needs to have an impact and soon.Holt was very good in wins at Dunfermline, Ayr, St Mirren, Dumbarton and played well in draws away at Raith and Morton last week. Really good against Morton, QoTS and St Mirren at home. A striker doesn't need to score to have a positive impact. Stats don't lie but they don't tell the truth.

Here are some more ''stats'' for you.

Assist vs Falkirk
Involved in the own goal vs Dunfermline
Goal vs Morton
Won the penalty at Dumbarton
Goal at Dunfermline
Goal vs St Mirren
Won the free kick Cummings scored last week

He could be doing a lot worse.

GreenLake
24-12-2016, 10:54 PM
He had some great touches and turns today which would have been more noticeable if we had scored 2 or 3 of our chances.

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 10:56 PM
He was brought in to score and provide assists so far his record is very poor. I agree you cant fault his commitment but right now that is not enough we need goals.

Still a lot of football to be played sammy, think we'll be fine.

As said in another post, certain players need to grow a pair and not take games out with a 'twinge', some players have to forget the cup win and get back to being a pro - once signings come in I think we'll be just fine.

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Do you think Fyvie and McGeouch are injured so often because they have no bottle? That is a fine theory but I'm not sure it stands up to modern science. Or good old fashioned common sense...

Holt was very good in wins at Dunfermline, Ayr, St Mirren, Dumbarton and played well in draws away at Raith and Morton last week. Really good against Morton, QoTS and St Mirren at home. A striker doesn't need to score to have a positive impact. Stats don't lie but they don't tell the truth.

Assist vs Falkirk
Goal vs Morton
Goal at Dunfermline
Goal vs St Mirren

DM is indeed one who I think needs 'bottle' - fantastic player, don't buy the 'niggling injury' routine - reminds me of Clancy !

Sammy7nil
24-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Do you think Fyvie and McGeouch are injured so often because they have no bottle? That is a fine theory but I'm not sure it stands up to modern science. Or good old fashioned common sense...

Holt was very good in wins at Dunfermline, Ayr, St Mirren, Dumbarton and played well in draws away at Raith and Morton last week. Really good against Morton, QoTS and St Mirren at home. A striker doesn't need to score to have a positive impact. Stats don't lie but they don't tell the truth.

Assist vs Falkirk
Goal vs Morton
Goal at Dunfermline
Goal vs St Mirren

WoW I never knew he was so prolific :wink: very poor for our main striker in the second tier. Look i like him however he needs to deliver much much more.

Sammy7nil
24-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Still a lot of football to be played sammy, think we'll be fine.

As said in another post, certain players need to grow a pair and not take games out with a 'twinge', some players have to forget the cup win and get back to being a pro - once signings come in I think we'll be just fine.

I agree I think eventually we will go on a run. Utd cant keep grinding out results i dont thi k they are good enough. A very big game on the 6th hopefully for once we will take our chances and win well to knock Utd off their perch.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 11:07 PM
DM is indeed one who I think needs 'bottle' - fantastic player, don't buy the 'niggling injury' routine - reminds me of Clancy !

Why don't you buy that the guy is injured? What evidence is there to say he is ''faking'' it?? Do you think he enjoys missing big games?

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 11:10 PM
WoW I never knew he was so prolific :wink: very poor for our main striker in the second tier. Look i like him however he needs to deliver much much more.He isn't our main striker. He is a target man who does about as much as you should expect from that type of player.

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Why don't you buy that the guy is injured? What evidence is there to say he is ''faking'' it?? Do you think he enjoys missing big games?

The evidence is he doesn't really miss 'big games' - came back for the cup final no bother !

I think he's like Clancy in the sense he gets a twinge and we accept it - difference being Clancy was Lilian Gish, DM is an excellent footballer - I think he suffers like Alex Harris (injury sustained previously has got into his head)

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Oh, and Tim Clancy did all his football talking on Twitter and we paid him for it 😜

Sammy7nil
24-12-2016, 11:15 PM
He isn't our main striker. He is a target man who does about as much as you should expect from that type of player.

If Holt is not the main striker who is ? And if you think he has delivered enough in this league your standards are very low.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 11:16 PM
The evidence is he doesn't really miss 'big games' - came back for the cup final no bother !

I think he's like Clancy in the sense he gets a twinge and we accept it - difference being Clancy was Lilian Gish, DM is an excellent footballer - I think he suffers like Alex Harris (injury sustained previously has got into his head)So basically he gets an injury our qualified medical staff say he should come off? He came off in the biggest game we had last season(Falkirk playoff) so that that theory doesn't quite work.

He also came off at Tynie and sounded absolutely gutted about it on the DVD.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 11:18 PM
If Holt is not the main striker who is ? And if you think he has delivered enough in this league your standards are very low.

Quite obvious that Cummings is our main striker. The one Lennon fought to keep, the one who earns the most money etc.

I already said he doesn't score enough goals but no, my standards aren't very low, I just look beyond goals and see what the guy actually brings to the team.

Sammy7nil
24-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Quite obvious that Cummings is our main striker. The one Lennon fought to keep, the one who earns the most money etc.

I already said he doesn't score enough goals but no, my standards aren't very low, I just look beyond goals and see what the guy actually brings to the team.

Okay doke we will have to agree to disagree I expected far more of return from Holt when we signed him both in terms of assists and goals.

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 11:21 PM
So basically he gets an injury our qualified medical staff say he should come off? He came off in the biggest game we had last season(Falkirk playoff) so that that theory doesn't quite work.

He also came off at Tynie and sounded absolutely gutted about it on the DVD.

Having talked to a fair few footballers in my days, wouldn't matter if Bones fae Star Trek said 'you'll need to come off', they'd stay on.

I think we both agree he's a great player (I think we agree) - I think he's a right soft touch though.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Okay doke we will have to agree to disagree I expected far more of return from Holt when we signed him both in terms of assists and goals.Fair enough.

I remember similar talk about Dom this time last year, things went really well without him...

We wouldn't be having this conversation if guys like Cummings and Shinnie had finished their chances today, Holt is pretty far down our list of problems.

banchoryhibs
24-12-2016, 11:28 PM
On Holt and Cummings: if I leave Easter Road after a 1-1 draw and the opposition goalie has produced a string of top class saves from great shots then I will agree that they are great players.
Today they simply did not produce any quality threat in front of goal. They may have been great players in the past (more so Holt) but IMHO they are not cutting it just now.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Having talked to a fair few footballers in my days, wouldn't matter if Bones fae Star Trek said 'you'll need to come off', they'd stay on.

I think we both agree he's a great player (I think we agree) - I think he's a right soft touch though.Those players are idiots if they are ignoring advice from medical professionals. That is how you get deaths from concussions in the NFL. What is to say Dylan wouldn't make his injury worse if he stayed on? I'd rather he was out for 2 weeks with a tight hamstring and was labelled ''soft'' than 3 months with a torn hamstring and known as a hard man.

Dylan is a cracking player and I find it very hard to believe he isn't extremely frustrated by his injury record.

truehibernian
24-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Those players are idiots if they are ignoring advice from medical professionals. That is how you get deaths from concussions in the NFL. What is to say Dylan wouldn't make his injury worse if he stayed on? I'd rather he was out for 2 weeks with a tight hamstring and was labelled ''soft'' than 3 months with a torn hamstring and known as a hard man.

Dylan is a cracking player and I find it very hard to believe he isn't extremely frustrated by his injury record.

I'm not saying players should play through 'concussion' ??

If Paul Hanlon is injured - he's injured !
If Dylan is injured - I'm sceptical !

Hibeesforever
24-12-2016, 11:45 PM
Holt is slow, overweight and hides from the ball.Should not be playing up front.Get some wingers in Lennon!

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 12:05 AM
I would rather play Grant Stott.

Grant Stott might be doing panto, Grant Mitchell if he's not in afghanistan may be available.

Russell Grant would find more gaps than this imposter.

Danderhall Hibs
25-12-2016, 12:20 AM
I thought he had a good game but it was frustrating the hell out of me that he was doing all his best work out wide or far too deep, he should be the one waiting in the box getting on the end of crosses.

He should be however we rarely get a cross past the first man and into the box.

Green-Hibee-7
25-12-2016, 12:35 AM
Tries his best IMO and I believe he will be a good influence around the training centre - but I'd be quite content not seeing him or graham apart from cameos at the end of the game. Can't win a header, no pace, stupid fouls - does some decent tippy tappy work a mile from the box and never scores. I've been saying this a lot - chuck him and Graham out play Keatings, Cummings and Boyle or a combination off and let pace take care of these teams.

Green-Hibee-7
25-12-2016, 12:37 AM

On top of my comment above - I'd say yours is a fair comment as well to be fair to Holt.

dmc1875
25-12-2016, 01:25 AM
People saying he was drifting out wide to get away from the central defenders, have a word. He was going wide to get the ball because there is literally zero service from wide areas as both gray and Stevenson are abysmal at crossing the football at the moment. The two raith central defenders had great games and he was not bullied at any time, and he also won the flick on for the goal
And worked tirelessly all game.

He was good today. Old failings coming back to haunt us and people should remember Cummings and shinnie were guilty of
Missing chances today as well.

dmc1875
25-12-2016, 01:26 AM

He was the only person who when wide, looked up to try and pick a
Man out (keatings) albeit it was blocked well by Benedictus

Dashing Bob S
25-12-2016, 03:25 AM
Holt was decent, but did his best turns and lay-offs too deep rather than inside the box. You could see the player he once was today, but he probably no longer has the mobility to operate that way in a congested penalty box.

neil7908
25-12-2016, 07:34 AM
He's not a terrible player but his goal return in the Scottish Championship is pretty poor.

If the rest of the team were scoring goals for fun I could live with that but I just don't think he gives us enough.

We have a lot of options up front but other than Cummings, who seems to have hit a poor run of form, I don't think any of Boyle, Keatings, Holt or Graham are natural goalscorers or good enough for us. They've all had chances to stake their place over the last couple of seasons and have failed to do so.

It's not possible but frankly I wouldn't be sad to see all 4 of them go if we could sign 2 genuine goalscorers.

superfurryhibby
25-12-2016, 09:07 AM
He isn't our main striker. He is a target man who does about as much as you should expect from that type of player.

MW, your just clutching at straws. Yesterday was one of Holts better performances and still it was nowhere near good enough for what we need. I do expect him to create and score goals, dominate or at leas unsettle defenders and generally make a nuisance of himself.

He did some of that yesterday, but not often enough. Granted, he tries hard and gives it all he has. However, he also appeared to have risked everything on a dodgy looking tackle that could have seen him sent off. That exemplified his determination, but also showed a flash of recklessness that might have proven costly ( yet to see the highlights to confirm, but it looked like a two footer which won the ball, but could easilly have got him sent off too).

A target man, like Mixu in his first spell, with a football pedigree should do much more at this level. Lets face it Holt has shot his bolt, too old and simply adding to the problem in terms of encouraging the hoofball approach.

Jones28
25-12-2016, 09:54 AM
I thought he was excellent

emerald green
25-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Don't be silly for the sake of it...

Eh? It's surely you who is being silly if you think this guy is a "great player"! Get real mate. Merry Christmas too. :aok:

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 10:39 AM
MW, your just clutching at straws. Yesterday was one of Holts better performances and still it was nowhere near good enough for what we need. I do expect him to create and score goals, dominate or at leas unsettle defenders and generally make a nuisance of himself.

He did some of that yesterday, but not often enough. Granted, he tries hard and gives it all he has. However, he also appeared to have risked everything on a dodgy looking tackle that could have seen him sent off. That exemplified his determination, but also showed a flash of recklessness that might have proven costly ( yet to see the highlights to confirm, but it looked like a two footer which won the ball, but could easilly have got him sent off too).

A target man, like Mixu in his first spell, with a football pedigree should do much more at this level. Lets face it Holt has shot his bolt, too old and simply adding to the problem in terms of encouraging the hoofball approach.The hoofball approach is nothing to do with Holt, pretty clearly to do with Fyvie and McGeouch missing. We didn't play any hoofball with Martin and McGeouch getting the ball off the back 4 yesterday.

Holt was good yesterday and has been many times this season, his performance wasn't ''nowhere near good enough''. The finishing of the players around him was nowhere near good enough.

Fergos
25-12-2016, 11:22 AM

There were a number of crosses into the box yesterday and Holt was nowhere near them....one right on his head that he somehow managed to head away from goal.....he should have been bullying the 2 excellent Raith CHs yesterday with his physical approach...he didn't.

GGTTH

Smartie
25-12-2016, 11:52 AM
In defence of the players, I don't think the swirling wind helped with the accuracy of or ability to get on the end of some of the high crosses.

Fergos
25-12-2016, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Smartie;4887773]In defence of the players, I don't think the swirling wind helped with the accuracy of or ability to get on the end of some of the high crosses.[/QUOTE

Understand the point you are making pal but this didn't influence Raith with the cross onto thehead of the CH for their goal.

GGTTH

Smartie
25-12-2016, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Smartie;4887773]In defence of the players, I don't think the swirling wind helped with the accuracy of or ability to get on the end of some of the high crosses.[/QUOTE

Understand the point you are making pal but this didn't influence Raith with the cross onto thehead of the CH for their goal.

GGTTH

Very fair point.

But for their goal the crosser was crossing from closer to a bigger target (their CH was a big lad and immense in the air).

There were some balls that we'd put in (from memory Keatings hit a couple in from the left) that were actually very decent attempts at crosses but were taken more by the wind.

All the mo reason to keep it on the deck and run at defenders with pace.

Vini1875
25-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Exactly, our standards are slipping. I can't see what this guy brings to the team. We cross balls into the bax all day long and rarely gets on the end of any of them and we he does he cannot hit the target. In the very few games Aligui played he did more than Hollt has done.

Onceinawhile
25-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I was especially impressed when he

1) got in David gray's way when he was two yards out and about to score, causing him to put it wide.

2) when he got a free header four yards out and somehow headed the ball clear.

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 03:09 PM
I was especially impressed when he

1) got in David gray's way when he was two yards out and about to score, causing him to put it wide.

2) when he got a free header four yards out and somehow headed the ball clear.He was offside and he headed it to Keatings who didnt shoot because the whistle went...

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Holt is maybe becoming our new Kuqi. The role that he should be playing is clear but not enough goals at the moment.

Jones28
26-12-2016, 02:04 PM
He had some good touches and his ball retention was pretty good. He simply has got to add goals - a target man who isn't scoring is no use to anyone

keep the faith
26-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Holt is maybe becoming our new Kuqi. The role that he should be playing is clear but not enough goals at the moment.

Kuqi contributed absolutely nothing in his time at hibs. Holt is way better than that.

MWHIBBIES
26-12-2016, 02:23 PM
Holt is maybe becoming our new Kuqi. The role that he should be playing is clear but not enough goals at the moment.Literally everything Holt does is better than Kuqi. Isn't even close to ''becoming our new Kuqi''

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Kuqi contributed absolutely nothing in his time at hibs. Holt is way better than that.

So no similarities then? Experienced player who has seen it and done it at a higher level. Knowledge to pass on. Able to hold the ball up and weigh in with goals. Completely different then. Puts me right.

The Spaceman
26-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I thought Holt was great on Saturday...bullied the defenders, drove us forward and showed some decent quick feet for a big guy. More of the same please!

CockneyRebel
26-12-2016, 04:13 PM
So no similarities then? Experienced player who has seen it and done it at a higher level. Knowledge to pass on. Able to hold the ball up and weigh in with goals. Completely different then. Puts me right.

Kuqi hadn,t done it at a higher level for some time before he came here. He was known to have a bad attitude and a petted lip yet still he came.

Green-Hibee-7
26-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Literally everything Holt does is better than Kuqi. Isn't even close to ''becoming our new Kuqi''

I do not rate holt in the slightest but 100% agree with this. Kuqi was an utter waste of space.

keep the faith
26-12-2016, 05:12 PM

Only similarity is they had both played at a much higher level before coming to us. Holts attitude is tremendous and some of his flicks runs and hold up play are terrific. Yes he hasn't scored as many goals as he or we would have liked and he isn't a long term solution but, in my opinion, the comparison with kuqi is lazy.

keep the faith
26-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Kuqi was a staggeringly bad signing where Fenlon clearly did not check him out first. He was absolutely finished and cost a a seasons wages for about 45 mins game time. Still makes me mad.