PDA

View Full Version : We Are Running Out Of Excuses

Dashing Bob S
24-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Firstly, that wasn't a bad performance compared to the last three games. McGeough was head and shoulders above everybody else on the park. It was good that Martin got a full game and Keatings returned.

But we are running out of excuses. We had enough chances to win several games today - but how many times has that happened over the last 3 seasons?

We have gone from:

1. Skooshing the league
2. Being comfortably ahead of Dundee United
3. Staying with our nose in front of Dundee United (till transfer window provides mythical pace and width and injuries clear)
4. Staying in touch with Dundee United (till above happens)

I'm worried that a defeat or draw at Falkirk and we are in the zone of:

5. Comfortably ahead of Falkirk in 2nd place play-off slot
6. Ahead of Falkirk etc etc

You get the picture. I'm not happy that our expectations are constantly revised downwards.

houstonhibbee
24-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Firstly, that wasn't a bad performance compared to the last three games. McGeough was head and shoulders above everybody else on the park. It was good that Martin got a full game and Keatings returned.

But we are running out of excuses. We had enough chances to win several games today - but how many times has that happened over the last 3 seasons?

We have gone from:

1. Skooshing the league
3. Staying with our nose in front of Dundee United (till transfer window provides mythical pace and width and injuries clear)

You get the picture. I'm not happy that our expectations are constantly revised downwards.

I can't see anything changing though in terms of the manager. We'll stick with what we have, buy in the window and see where we are nearer the play offs. If its not good by then maybe we'll make a change of manager for the play offs if it comes to that

Canon Hannan
24-12-2016, 04:17 PM
I can't see anything changing though in terms of the manager. We'll stick with what we have, buy in the window and see where we are nearer the play offs. If its not good by then maybe we'll make a change of manager for the play offs if it comes to that

Hibernian Football Clubs whole problem for years......changing staff to frequently!!! St Johnstone have consistently stood by an average team and managers and look at them! We need to stand firm and back the boys.

emerald green
24-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Yes, Hibs are running out of excuses IMO.

familyman
24-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Yes, Hibs are running out of excuses IMO.
We pay good money for another underachieving team...this has gone on and on and on, full control poor finishing..When Lennon arrived he commented on how few goals we are scoring..somethings never change,they MUST now more than ever get those wingers in fast.

northstandhibby
24-12-2016, 04:49 PM

We have gone from:

1. Skooshing the league

Sums it up well.

Gone from firm favorites to win this league to now chasing dufc!!! :confused: Total Tom Kite. Get it sorted for next week Neil, the pressure is on you big time.

:brickwall

Del Boy
24-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Always felt all this talk of scooshing the league was nonsense.

Yeah we have the best squad in the league but we do not have the best manager.

United started slowly but have now gone 14 unbeaten. They have learnt how to grind out results, something we still can't do.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-12-2016, 04:59 PM
For the first time, I can confidently say if Lennon left tomorrow I wouldn't care.

As soon as they scored he hid in the dugout.

5 months of watching his team and I still can't work our tactics. Are we direct, playing out wide, playing it long, keeping it compact, working the angles? I have no idea. Looks like our players don't either.

Not a knee-jerk, I very rarely state a manager should leave but he looks disinterested and bereft of ideas.

matty_f
24-12-2016, 05:00 PM
On a steady downward trajectory. Lennon needs to sign well in January or we're ****ed.

chasitup
24-12-2016, 05:35 PM
On a steady downward trajectory. Lennon needs to sign well in January or we're ****ed.
I don't trust Lennon to sign well, that's the problem Matty.

Canon Hannan
24-12-2016, 05:38 PM
I don't trust Lennon to sign well, that's the problem Matty.

You are 6 months in the job and people think you won't sign good players??? Why? How come?

chasitup
24-12-2016, 05:44 PM
You are 6 months in the job and people think you won't sign good players??? Why? How come?
Because I don't think the players he's signed so far have made a big enough impact, add to that the players we already have haven't been and continue to be not good enough.

Canon Hannan
24-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Because I don't think the players he's signed so far have made a big enough impact, add to that the players we already have haven't been and continue to be not good enough.

What would you do in January? Who would you release and sign with a view to winning the league over the last 5 months?

houstonhibbee
24-12-2016, 06:24 PM
What would you do in January? Who would you release and sign with a view to winning the league over the last 5 months?

Someone like Jonny Hayes would be good

BoomtownHibees
24-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Someone like Jonny Hayes would be good

Lol

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Once again we lose one goal and fail to win the game ...... I'm not blaming the defence either, its unrealistic to expect any team to keep a clean sheet in every game. What's hurting us is a failure to put the ball into the net enough, we simply have to get this sorted or we are going to be in trouble.

As the OP says, we weren't bad today and I actually thought we got the ball into the box a lot more than we have done lately ..... but FFS just put the bloody thing into the net !!!

houstonhibbee
24-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Once again we lose one goal and fail to win the game ...... I'm not blaming the defence either, its unrealistic to expect any team to keep a clean sheet in every game. What's hurting us is a failure to put the ball into the net enough, we simply have to get this sorted or we are going to be in trouble.

As the OP says, we weren't bad today and I actually thought we got the ball into the box a lot more than we have done lately ..... but FFS just put the bloody thing into the net !!!

no leaders on the pitch, no-one taking chances, running into space, corners seem too obvious, no one winning headers in the box...........

shreevesy
24-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Yet another gutless performance with eye bleeding football. Was really up for this but only to be let down once more. Lennon is not the answer his football is woeful, his team selections are woeful and he is nowhere near good enough for our team or our magnificent support.
Crap start to Christmas

jacomo
24-12-2016, 07:37 PM
1. Refusing to wet the bed does not mean expectations are falling. The expectation is 1st place, same as it was in July.

2. I am dismayed that we now seem to be reliant on new signings to save our season. We just signed a player on emergency loan that no other club in this division could pull off.

I support our manager but he'd best sort it out soon.

Brightside
24-12-2016, 08:05 PM
if 2 or 3 had gone in of our 8 chances then its a different day on here... just a shame so many on here don't even watch the game before they slate the team.

eastcoasthibby
24-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Manager and players to blame ..half the players niece the hype at the beginning of the season about winning this league this season that on top of winning the cup and some of them think they just need to turn up !
Well guess what they need to turn up and put a shift in starting next week ..David Gray is living off a Scottish cup winning goal because most of this season he has been as poorxof not worse at times than his opposite number on the left ! There is no excuse for their play at times , crosses are woeful 80%of the time ! Watch Gray he is lazy and looks like he can't be bothered half the time and he isn't a leader on the park ..McGregor or fyvie when he is back playing.
Our forwards,are and,attacking mid's are awful in front of goal their conversation rate must be the worst in the league ... And possibly all of the 4 senior leagues ..why ? Why ? Is it he coaching or do they just not work a t it more in training and concentrate work harder on the park .
I said it last year that there were forwards,at other teams in the league who would have taken more of the chances than ours did..and ours have reputation of being better than them ..and this year it's worse no composure, no sharpness and no consistent finishing ability ..so how are players and squad better than other teams ..? It's not showing every week ..thank God we have decent centre halves and have decent central midfielders ..as in my view the rest aren't showing to be anything that special in this league a lot of the time unfortunately ..they need to stop hiding and give it their all or they will be looking for new clubs at the end of their contracts this season..
The pressure is,all on us now and we need to stand up and be counted ...or its play offs,at best ..!!!

B.H.F.C
24-12-2016, 08:19 PM
if 2 or 3 had gone in of our 8 chances then its a different day on here... just a shame so many on here don't even watch the game before they slate the team.

How many times have we said 'if' in the last couple of years?

We're now chasing another team at the halfway stage of our third season in this league.

If only the rest of us had your wisdom though.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2016, 08:21 PM

You are right, how many times has someone written that over the last 10 years?

Smartie
24-12-2016, 08:23 PM
The performance and the team selection were miles better today than they've been for weeks.

Our league form in the second half of last season was pitiful, and that was with Stokes and Henderson in our squad. Lennon got a wee bounce at the start of the season and given our good cup results last season would have been forgiven for thinking we had just about enough when the window closed.

I don't think Neil Lennon will be all that impressed with the quality he has at his disposal yet he's had to rely on those players to get him results for a few months.

I honestly don't know what we expect from him. What should he have done differently today? He went to a back 4, put Martin in the team and played Cummings - all common sense changes that we've been wanting.

I'll judge Lennon at the final whistle when we've played our final league game and not before.

I fully expect him to add pace and creativity in January as we're sadly lacking in certain areas. Maybe it would satisfy us to hear him say that, but he can't be too critical of players he still expects to be able to do the business for us.

scooby
24-12-2016, 08:25 PM

That's the worry though, they scored with one of their only attempts, and we couldn't convert any of our first half chances. We need to take more of the opportunities we create or we're f*****

Fogzie
24-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Sick of seeing all these replies " we'll fix it in January. We'll sign this and we'll sign that'
It's not gonna happen. There are no decent players available in January. We might get lucky with one but , no chance ,to get 2 or 3.
We can turn it around with what we have.
But we have to help at Easter Road.
Atmosphere is terrible. Teams love coming here, shutting up shop and , by all accounts, keeping as us all quiet. The crowd just expect something to happen.
We all need to get our finger out , both fans and players.
If we do get up, the same commitment from players and fans will send us back down again.
All this talk about winning the next 2 games (or else) is BS. There is a long way to go.
Lets get behind the team and give me them the confidence to win the league.
GGTTH

WhileTheChief..
24-12-2016, 09:20 PM
I really don't see what Lennon got wrong today.

We were all over them for most of the game and had some absolutely brilliant chances to score. How many times were you out your seat thinking the ball was in the net?!

This was much better than the last couple of weeks.

Thinking back to the QotS game, that was the best we've played all season. The team knew exactly what they were doing, played with purpose and we got a decent result.

I think that was the last time we had a full strength side. Since then NL has been having to adjust things.

I don't think he's got much wrong and I've yet to see a team play better than us.

Nakedmanoncrack
24-12-2016, 09:27 PM

We were all over them for most of the game and had some absolutely brilliant chances to score. How many times were you out your seat thinking the ball was in the net?!

Thinking back to the QotS game, that was the best we've played all season. The team knew exactly what they were doing, played with purpose and we got a decent result.

I think that was the last time we had a full strength side. Since then NL has been having to adjust things.

I don't think he's got much wrong and I've yet to see a team play better than us.

How many games could you say that about over last 2 and a half years?

It's was just yet another re-run and we console ourselves by trying to convince ourselves that eventually it will come right.

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-12-2016, 09:30 PM

The people who are slating the team have watched Hibs fail to win games like today many, many times in the past. 5 x the amount of chances than opposition and the vast majority of possession. It's games like today which differentiate us from the Herts and The Rangers who won this league by wining games like this.

WhileTheChief..
24-12-2016, 09:31 PM
5 defeats on the bounce under Stubbs. We were rank rotten in a lot of games the last 2 years with plenty teams playing better than us.

We won't lose 5 league games all season this year.

Nakedmanoncrack
24-12-2016, 09:33 PM
5 defeats on the bounce under Stubbs. We were rank rotten in a lot of games the last 2 years with plenty teams playing better than us.

A bold claim, how many league games do you think we will lose this season?

Pete
24-12-2016, 09:41 PM
It's all these draws that are killing us, not the handful of defeats.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2016, 09:44 PM

I agree that we won't lose 5 league games this season. We very rarely lose more than a single goal.

Draws kill us though. Raith away, playing over a half with 10'men is a decent point. That result today, missing the chances we missed, is a crap result. It's not unlucky or anything like that, we are poor in the final third.

WhileTheChief..
24-12-2016, 09:46 PM

1 or 2 more, tops.

For all our failings, and I'm not saying everything is perfect by any means, I think every other team in the league is worse than us.

I include Utd in this based of our games against them but accept that they are clearly doing better against the other sides in the league.

i just don't have the same concerns as others and am pretty relaxed about the situation.

I know it's a case of aunty / baws, but converting a few chances into goals would have us in a far better position.

I'd be worried if we were struggling against teams and scraping draws but we're not. We're dominating most games and rarely look under threat.

Nakedmanoncrack
24-12-2016, 09:51 PM
1 or 2 more, tops.

For all our failings, and I'm not saying everything is perfect by any means, I think every other team in the league is worse than us.

I include Utd in this based of our games against them but accept that they are clearly doing better against the other sides in the league.

i just don't have the same concerns as others and am pretty relaxed about the situation.

I know it's a case of aunty / baws, but converting a few chances into goals would have us in a far better position.

I'd be worried if we were struggling against teams and scraping draws but we're not. We're dominating most games and rarely look under threat.

Very doubtful, but not impossible- won't matter if we keep drawing, have only won just over half our games, it's a pathetic record, particularly at home.

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-12-2016, 10:12 PM
It's all these draws that are killing us, not the handful of defeats.

The stats for the last 2 home draws against Falkirk and Raith.

Shots Hibs - 36 opposition 7
On target - Hibs 12 opposition 5
Off target Hibs 24 opposition 2
Corners - Hibs 27 opposition 2

Yer we only took 2 points. 🙄

shreevesy
24-12-2016, 10:59 PM

I'll refer to your "This was much better than the last couple of weeks" and "I've yet to see a team play better than us"
We didn't win today and WE ARE NOW SECOND IN THE LEAGUE - a league we should be absolutely horsing and we've been overtaken by a team who have almost had a complete restructure in players and management.
Neil's signings have not been great and neither has his man management nor his team selections.

silverhibee
25-12-2016, 12:09 AM

Will the Board trust him with any funds to sign well in January, I think he will get a few loans and a player out of contract this window.

The Board know we have a good squad, the Board are paying our manager a lot of money to get the best from this squad, he is failing at this point in time, if the dreaded was to happen then Lennon will be gone at the end of the season, time for him to start earning his crust and get this team/squad winning games promptly.

silverhibee
25-12-2016, 12:14 AM

That's Neil's job, and he is being paid a fortune by the club and has the best squad in this league, right now he isn't doing the job he was asked to do, still time though, but another couple of poor results and the fans will be letting Neil that this is unacceptable.

silverhibee
25-12-2016, 12:17 AM
You are right, how many times has someone written that over the last 10 years?

Just more excuses BH.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Of course we are running out of excuses, EVENTUALLY you have to.

truehibernian
25-12-2016, 12:19 AM
Will the Board trust him with any funds to sign well in January, I think he will get a few loans and a player out of contract this window.

The Board know we have a good squad, the Board are paying our manager a lot of money to get the best from this squad, he is failing at this point in time, if the dreaded was to happen then Lennon will be gone at the end of the season, time for him to start earning his crust and get this team/squad winning games promptly.

Merry Christmas SH !

I'm hearing 3 signings, two being fees - so I think the Board will back him.

Tuck into your quality street anyway ya moody ******** 😜

Nicho87
25-12-2016, 12:22 AM
Yeah but we have injuries and the players coming in are..... bla bla every team has injuries.

Green-Hibee-7
25-12-2016, 12:29 AM

But they didn't go in. There in lies the same issue we have had for three seasons now. Dominate every game lose one sucker punch and either lose or draw against utter dross. Difference is this season the team/management have deserved to be slated at times imo. Eye-bleeding stuff I've been to all the games apart from Turriff and I'd count on about 2 occasions where I've thought fair play to the boys and Lennon couldn't have done much more there. Probably Brondby away and Dunfermline away second half. It's now 5 months into a job and we've went totally backwards - it's difficult when you lose McGinn, fyvie etc but people are 100% right to be questioning the team and Lennon.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2016, 12:31 AM
But they didn't go in. There in lies the same issue we have had for three seasons now. Dominate every game lose one sucker punch and either lose or draw against utter dross. Difference is this season the team/management have deserved to be slated at times imo. Eye-bleeding stuff I've been to all the games apart from Turriff and I'd count on about 2 occasions where I've thought fair play to the boys and Lennon couldn't have done much more there. Probably Brondby away and Dunfermline away second half. It's now 5 months into a job and we've went totally backwards - it's difficult when you lose McGinn, fyvie etc but people are 100% right to be questioning the team and Lennon.

You are wasting your time, you are a clueless wee man.

Green-Hibee-7
25-12-2016, 12:40 AM
You are wasting your time, you are a clueless wee man.

Fair comment tbh 😂😂😂

The Green Goblin
25-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Merry Christmas SH !

I'm hearing 3 signings, two being fees - so I think the Board will back him.

Tuck into your quality street anyway ya moody ******** 😜

Any hints or clues? (Clues are more fun btw!) :greengrin

Come on, it's Christmas! :wink:

Dashing Bob S
25-12-2016, 02:54 AM
I think we must practice one-on-ones in training, whereby we try to hit the goalkeeper square in the chest. Every one-on-one with the keeper against us, the opposition seem to score. With us in this position, it very seldom happens. It would be a nice change if the ball bounced off the keeper's leg, or fingertips or foot or elbow, but it invariably batters them right in the chest. In fact our marksmanship is so deadly and accurate here, it's a wonder that the opposition goalies even bother to spread themselves when one of our players lets fly.

truehibernian
25-12-2016, 03:02 AM
Any hints or clues? (Clues are more fun btw!) :greengrin

Come on, it's Christmas! :wink:

Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper

truehibernian
25-12-2016, 03:03 AM
....and he ate 'all it'

gegs70
25-12-2016, 03:19 AM
I just felt the same thing happens all the time we have all the possession don't score, the opposition get a free kick or corner boom 0-1..... -We then raise the tempo and walk away with a draw. Are we that predictable that makes it easier for other managers.....

green day
25-12-2016, 07:18 AM
That's Neil's job, and he is being paid a fortune by the club and has the best squad in this league, right now he isn't doing the job he was asked to do, still time though, but another couple of poor results and the fans will be letting Neil that this is unacceptable.

And it's entirely possible (I really hope it doesn't happen) that we come out of the next two with zero points and are a long way back from Utd.

SkintHibby
25-12-2016, 07:38 AM
I said at the start we'll not get out of the Championship for at least 5-6 seasons and was shot down in flames for saying so.

We need Rod Petrie to leave Hibs altogether, league reconstruction or absolute dross teams in the league for us to get back to the Premiership.

We are the Leeds Utd of Scottish football.

Earlydelivery
25-12-2016, 08:21 AM
The stats for the last 2 home draws against Falkirk and Raith.

Shots Hibs - 36 opposition 7
On target - Hibs 12 opposition 5
Off target Hibs 24 opposition 2
Corners - Hibs 27 opposition 2

Yer we only took 2 points. 🙄
That's incredible when you look at that ,and only 2 points.

Betty Boop
25-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper

Pawlett

25-12-2016, 08:59 AM
I said at the start we'll not get out of the Championship for at least 5-6 seasons and was shot down in flames for saying so.

We need Rod Petrie to leave Hibs altogether, league reconstruction or absolute dross teams in the league for us to get back to the Premiership.

We are the Leeds Utd of Scottish football.

So if Petrie leaves we'll go up aye?

green day
25-12-2016, 09:00 AM
I just felt the same thing happens all the time we have all the possession don't score, the opposition get a free kick or corner boom 0-1..... -We then raise the tempo and walk away with a draw. Are we that predictable that makes it easier for other managers.....

I understand why you say that - but in 18 matches we have lost 10 goals total - so the stats dont bear it out.

We have also scored more goals than anyone else in the league.

Our issue is not the run of the mill, its losing and drawing critical games - e.g. Dundee Utd away? Boyle scores the pen, we would most likely still be top.

Anyway, Merry Christmas

emerald green
25-12-2016, 10:16 AM
That's incredible when you look at that ,and only 2 points.

Since the beginning of November, up to and including yesterday, Hibs have won 12 points out of a possible 21. Next up, Falkirk (A) and DU (H).

Under no stretch of the imagination (or wishful thinking) can that be considered Championship winning form.

Merry Christmas to all Hibs supporters. I honestly wish I could have posted better figures.

bigwheel
25-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Since the beginning of November, up to and including yesterday, Hibs have won 12 points out of a possible 21. Next up, Falkirk (A) and DU (H).

Under no stretch of the imagination (or wishful thinking) can that be considered Championship winning form.

Merry Christmas to all Hibs supporters. I honestly wish I could have posted better figures.

And when you compare it to United who I believe have won 30 out of their last 36. Points...We are not showing form anywhere near good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eastcoasthibby
25-12-2016, 10:33 AM

We might not loose 5 but we will draw 10 and that's the killer part of it all ... 2 points dropped instead of 3 ... the players need to have a good look at themselves some of them just aren't giving it there all .. as for our finishing from our all front players and that includes Shinnie and who gets into great positions and now Commons ... should be embarrassed at missing a lot of the chances they miss so frequently it shows no quality or ability where it all counts, people are referring to Hertz and Rankgers, they won the league by scoring goals and that's what will win this league again ! United obviously looking to bring in another striker, people mocked them trying to sign Sammon from Hertz, does he miss more chances than our forwards ??? they recognize where the business end of the pitch is ...we are trying to persevere with forwards that are scoring at a rate 1 goal per 10 -12 chances on average, that's an awful return what more can the defence and midfield do ??

snedzuk
25-12-2016, 01:52 PM
And when you compare it to United who I believe have won 30 out of their last 36. Points...We are not showing form anywhere near good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the last 10 games hibs are third behind morton - form needs to change very soon.

SkintHibby
25-12-2016, 04:11 PM
So if Petrie leaves we'll go up aye?

Nope but he has been in charge since our downward spiral. His crocodile tears in the cup final dvd dont wash with me.

Canon Hannan
25-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Nope but he has been in charge since our downward spiral. His crocodile tears in the cup final dvd dont wash with me.

The St Johnstone model of running a club works. Stability and positive ethos with football people running the show. It's not difficult unless you are a tight accountant who wouldn't pay £150k for Griffiths😩

25-12-2016, 09:08 PM

He isn't in charge at the moment. I'm not sure what the cup final DVD has to do with anything.