PDA

View Full Version : Team v Houston

Diclonius
24-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Laidlaw

Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

McGeough Martin Shinnie

Boyle Holt Cummings

Commons out for Boyle. The team selection wasn't the problem today, and Holt and Shinnie played relatively well IMO. Our inability to finish chances was the problem.

ancient hibee
24-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Commons instead of Shinnie.

RoxburghHibs
24-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Commons instead of Shinnie.

:agree:

houstonhibbee
24-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Boyle out wide in a 4 man midfield and Keatings up top with Holt or Graham

lucky
24-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Same starting team as today

GreenCastle
24-12-2016, 03:24 PM
4-1-3-2

Same back 4 and keeper

Martin

Boyle Commons Keatings

Cummings Holt

houstonhibbee
24-12-2016, 03:31 PM
4-1-3-2

Same back 4 and keeper

Martin

Boyle Commons Keatings

Cummings Holt
That seems like you're trying to pick the 11 most consistent performers rather than a team with a game plan.......probably wrong though.

I'd always have a fit McGeough in there providing the footballing brains, speed of thought, incisiveness and creative spark

Pete
24-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Same starting team as today

I'd go with that. However, if we revert back to three centre backs or don't take our chances then the Houston Astros would probably take a point off us.

Six points is perfectly achievable but we need a bit of consistency regarding team selection and formations.

where'stheslope
24-12-2016, 03:48 PM
I would love to play them with 433 with Cummings, Graham and Keatings up front.

This would give us a lot of movement up front, with Keatings in particular can create a lot of space for the other two with his running.

Back four picks itself, and midfield one holding and two creative should easily see them off!!!!

500miles
24-12-2016, 04:47 PM
..........Laidlaw
Gray. McGregor.Hanlon.Lewis
....Martin...McGeough
........Shinnie
...Keatings..Boyle
..........Holt

Until Cummings finds his touch again in terms of link up play, he might be more dangerous as an impact player who can just overrun tiring defenders. That said, Commons was such a weak link today, I think a few players improved when they didn't have to carry him, which could be what hampered Jason.

GreenCastle
24-12-2016, 05:00 PM
That seems like you're trying to pick the 11 most consistent performers rather than a team with a game plan.......probably wrong though.

I'd always have a fit McGeough in there providing the footballing brains, speed of thought, incisiveness and creative spark

I am a massive fan of Dylan but I would just go all out attack from now on.

Boyle Commons Keatings

Cummings Holt

That front 5 should score goals - only worry is the tracking back.

You could play Dylan in the deeper holding role instead of Martin.

What ever we play we need WIDTH and some SPEED. As we are far too NARROW and SLOW at breaking teams down.

houstonhibbee
24-12-2016, 05:20 PM

Boyle Commons Keatings

Cummings Holt

What ever we play we need WIDTH and some SPEED. As we are far too NARROW and SLOW at breaking teams down.
Dylan's the one that has the skill and speed of thought to create the chances. You can't score if you don't create....
I would play Boyle wide and have Keatings up front as he can score and cross

coldingham hibs
25-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Why anyone would put Commons in the team after his first 2 performances is beyond me.

H18 SFR
25-12-2016, 09:19 AM
I think the plastic pitch will suit us next week, it's not as if we play free flowing, slick, fast football which that type of pitch stifles.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-12-2016, 09:27 AM
A draw away to Falkirk wouldn't be a bad result normally but not right now.

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 09:32 AM

Boyle Commons Keatings

Cummings Holt

What ever we play we need WIDTH and some SPEED. As we are far too NARROW and SLOW at breaking teams down.And who gives the ball to those players? Hanlon and McGregor?

Dylan plays 100% if you want us to score goals IMO.

danhibees1875
25-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Laidlaw
Martin McGeoch Commons
Keatings Holt Cummings

Shinnie for commons could work too.

GreenCastle
25-12-2016, 02:38 PM
And who gives the ball to those players? Hanlon and McGregor?

Dylan plays 100% if you want us to score goals IMO.

Laidlaw

Sir David McGregor Hanlon LS

Dylan

Boyle Commons Keatings

Holt and JC

Pretty solid I feel - Keatings and Boyle would add pace and width and track back.

Maintaining a front 2 and Commons (or Shinnie) pulling the strings.

northstandhibby
25-12-2016, 02:47 PM
'
Laidlaw

Dylan

Boyle Commons Keatings

Holt and JC

Pretty solid I feel - Keatings and Boyle would add pace and width and track back.

Maintaining a front 2 and Commons (or Shinnie) pulling the strings.

Looks not bad considering although would sub Holt at half time if he's not performing, with Graham. Certainly an attacking team and formation.

:aok:

erin go bragh
25-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Laidlaw

Forster
MCGregor
Hanlon
Crane

McGeouch
Martin
Commons
Stevenson

Cummings
Keatings

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Laidlaw

Dylan

Boyle Commons Keatings

Holt and JC

Maintaining a front 2 and Commons (or Shinnie) pulling the strings.That team gets murdered in the middle of the park I think. Take out one attacker for Martin and it would be fine. You can't play like that and expect to keep the ball and break teams down.

dmc1875
25-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Same team as yesterday but take shinnie out and replace with Boyle. Shinnie had a very poor game yesterday and slows the play down all the time.

Onion
25-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Laidlaw

McGeough Martin Shinnie

Boyle Holt Cummings

Commons out for Boyle. The team selection wasn't the problem today, and Holt and Shinnie played relatively well IMO. Our inability to finish chances was the problem.

Unless he's injured, there is not a chance that Commons will be dropped. Shinnie might have to give way.

dmc1875
25-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Same team as yesterday but take shinnie out and replace with Boyle. Shinnie had a very poor game yesterday and slows the play down all the time.

PISTOL1875
25-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Laidlaw

McGeough Martin Shinnie

Boyle Holt Cummings

Laidlaw

Boyle martin Mcgeough Keating's

Holt Cummings

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeouch
Martin
Commons

Holt
Cummings

andy1875
26-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Laidlaw (Marciano if fit)

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Crane

Bartley
Martin

McGeouch
Commons
Boyle

Cummings

S4uzee
26-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Shinnie won't be dropped as he seems to be a favourite of Lennons

Enough said
26-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Laidlaw

McGeough Martin Shinnie

Boyle Holt Cummings

Shinnie was absolutely horrendous on Saturday,you must of been a different game from myself.

J-C
26-12-2016, 09:13 AM
4-3-3

Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Halon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Martin
Commons

Boyle
Holt
Cummings

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-12-2016, 09:17 AM
I'd put Bartley in the middle against these thugs. Probably in place of Shinnie and give Martin more of a free role.

Commons or Boyle is a tough one. Look at the impact Boyle made when he came on against tired legs but commons has contributed almost nothing in the 2 games he's played

where'stheslope
26-12-2016, 06:55 PM
I'd put Bartley in the middle against these thugs. Probably in place of Shinnie and give Martin more of a free role.

Commons or Boyle is a tough one. Look at the impact Boyle made when he came on against tired legs but commons has contributed almost nothing in the 2 games he's played

Certain red card for Bartley!!!!

Every time he goes near them they will go down rolling about, and with our luck with refs, we will be down to 10 men!

Play them with a fast game on the deck, push through the channels, this takes out their big slow centrehalfs!!!

Stop going down the wings, players running the channels are harder to defend against!

Make them have to make last ditch challenges in and around their penalty area.

A forward running straight towards goal has a better chance of hitting the target!!!!!

Famous Fiver
26-12-2016, 07:04 PM
They are still 9 points behind us after today but are in a play off position. If we end up second it won't matter what the result is because we are almost certain to be meeting them in the play offs again this season. I would therefore attack them and leave out Bartley and fontaine.

Billy Whizz
26-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Seemingly they were out played by the Pars today and stole a point. Let's take the game to them on Saturday

hibby6270
26-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Laidlaw

Forster
MCGregor
Hanlon
Crane

McGeouch
Martin
Commons
Stevenson

Cummings
Keatings

Hmmm!! Controversial? Maybe?

No Gray? Controversial!!

If that's the case I'd have no Stevenson as well. At least, I wouldn't put him in midfield. Don't see how that would benefit the team. If you want 4 man midfield I'd put Shinnie in there just behind the front 2. Dylan and Kris centre mid and let Martin be the link from back to front.

A much more attack minded 11. Effectively 6 in advanced positions rather than the 6 in defence approach Lennon seems to adopt in away games.

Stan the Man
27-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Martin
McGeogh
Commons
Boyle

Cummings
Keatings

Back 4 and keeper take care of themselves.

The width gray and Stevenson provide as a 3-5-2 hasn't been working for me. Due to lack of support and poor deliveries/quality. Ultimately final balls would be better played by Commons, Keatings or Boyle.

Midfield has:
-bite and legs (Martin)
-brains, passing and tempo (dylan)
-width and creativity (commons and boyle)

Upfront I would add more pace in Keatings and play him with Cummings as they are the best finishers.
Deliberately leave out a target man as neither Holt or Graham win much in the air. It should hopefully reduce the amount of pointless aerial balls we play.
The idea of a smaller striker playing off Holt has also failed IMO. His poor goals record could be accommodated if he was teeing regular chances up.

Finally, higher tempo, more pressing and controlled aggression.

Saint Hibee
27-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Martin
McGeogh
Commons
Boyle

Cummings
Keatings

Back 4 and keeper take care of themselves.

The width gray and Stevenson provide as a 3-5-2 hasn't been working for me. Due to lack of support and poor deliveries/quality. Ultimately final balls would be better played by Commons, Keatings or Boyle.

Midfield has:
-bite and legs (Martin)
-brains, passing and tempo (dylan)
-width and creativity (commons and boyle)

Upfront I would add more pace in Keatings and play him with Cummings as they are the best finishers.
Deliberately leave out a target man as neither Holt or Graham win much in the air. It should hopefully reduce the amount of pointless aerial balls we play.
The idea of a smaller striker playing off Holt has also failed IMO. His poor goals record could be accommodated if he was teeing regular chances up.

Finally, higher tempo, more pressing and controlled aggression.

I agree that we should leave out a target man. Having Holt or Graham in the team just encourages the kind of hoofball we need to get away from. If there's one thing that centre-backs in this division are actually pretty good at, it's dealing with high balls lumped forward. What they struggle with is fast players running at them or in behind them.

J-C
27-12-2016, 09:37 AM
I agree that we should leave out a target man. Having Holt or Graham in the team just encourages the kind of hoofball we need to get away from. If there's one thing that centre-backs in this division are actually pretty good at, it's dealing with high balls lumped forward. What they struggle with is fast players running at them or in behind them.

Funnily enough we played with a target man and in the 1st half on saturday the ball was played on the deck the majority of the time, the direct ball to a target man can be used as an extra option but when all the players are playing to their potential, the ball is generally on the deck, hence why McGeouch got MOM and Martin was a close 2nd behind him.

#FromTheCapital
27-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Boyle shouldn't start imo, he's much better as an impact player when tiredness is kicking in.

JimBHibees
27-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Boyle shouldn't start imo, he's much better as an impact player when tiredness is kicking in.

I would start with him wide right in front 3 he would rip Leahy if he plays.

GreenCastle
27-12-2016, 10:05 AM
First game of the season against Falkirk our goals came from quick ball to Keatings (in behind) then Cummings scores rebound

Cummings in behind from a Holt pass in behind them.

Agreed about this division there are actually opposition defndendeds who can attack the ball in the air.

Speed and movement will destroy these teams and that was shown by Hearts and Rangers when they won the league.

Cummings, Keatings and Boyle all start for me..

It's what we do with Holt, Commons and Shinnie and deeper midfield.

Whatever he does I hope they have practiced it in training as they have the whole week to prepare.

IGRIGI
27-12-2016, 08:27 PM
Laidlaw

McGregor Hanlon Fontaine

Bartley Martin

Boyle McGeouch Keatings

Holt Cummings

All out attack. Controversial to drop Gray and Stevenson but until they stop beating black and blue the first defender with every single cross I'd play with three at the back.

Bartley can do the dirty work and Martin can link with the front five. McGeouch I'd play further forward to create chances/link up play for the rest with Boyle and Keatings running the wings and putting in crosses / cutting in. Holt to play the part of the big huddie up front to ruffle the feathers and set up Cummings for the goals.

hibbydog
29-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Laidlaw

McGregor Hanlon Fontaine

Bartley Martin

Boyle McGeouch Keatings

Holt Cummings

All out attack. Controversial to drop Gray and Stevenson but until they stop beating black and blue the first defender with every single cross I'd play with three at the back.

Bartley can do the dirty work and Martin can link with the front five. McGeouch I'd play further forward to create chances/link up play for the rest with Boyle and Keatings running the wings and putting in crosses / cutting in. Holt to play the part of the big huddie up front to ruffle the feathers and set up Cummings for the goals.

The Leith Dutch
29-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Laidlaw
McGeough Bartley Commons
Boyle Holt Cummings

Old fashioned back four, Bartley to break up play in the midfield.
Hit Holt to either play in one of Boyle or Cummings or lay it back for Commons and possibly McGeough.

PiemanP
29-12-2016, 11:25 AM
I'd play the same team as at the weekend. With the players currently available to me that's the best team, the difference is individuals need to be playing at 7 or 8 out of 10 rather than 5.

I hope Martin keeps his place as he deserves it and Lennon doesn't muck around with the front pairing (again!).

Smartie
29-12-2016, 12:00 PM
I'd be very tempted to go with the same team as last weekend too, but if it isn't working out for Cummings I'd get Boyle on a lot earlier than last week (when he looked very dangerous imo).

R'Albin
29-12-2016, 12:09 PM
I'd like to not vary the team too much from last weekend but get Keatings and Boyle as wingers somehow.

I'd personally do it by dropping Shinnie and Commons for them and going 4-4-2, but I realise that there's absolutely no chance of Commons being dropped so it would likely be Martin.

Craig_HFC
29-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Keatings needs to start, imo.

JohnMcM
29-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Laidlaw

McGregor Hanlon Fontaine

Bartley Martin

Boyle McGeouch Keatings

Holt Cummings

This is the set-up for me. Please.:flag:

Kaiserclem
29-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Team for me needs shaken up a bit, and as we all know our deliveries into the box from wide areas is shocking which is resulting in people getting on Holt's back. He needs service, and we are not giving him it. For me the team this weekend would be.....

Laidlaw

McGregor Forster
Boyle Hanlon
Bartley
McGeough Martin
Commons (has to play as part of deal)

Holt Keatings

Suns: Virtanen, Gray, Fontaine, Shinnie, Cummings, Graham & Boyle

Franck Stanton
29-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Really dislike Falkirk, well if I am being honest, it's more that fudd hustoun I hate and his tactics.
The team I would go with is :-

..........................Laidlaw..............

........................Hanlon...................
...........McGregor...........Fontaine......

.......................Fyvie...................

...Keatings.........McGeoch.......Commons

....................Shinnie....................... .

.............Cummings.......Boyle.......

Yes I know Fyvie has been out injured, but from what I am hearing will ba available for this game.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Laidlaw

McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine

McGeouch
Bartley

Boyle
Commons
Shinnie

Holt
Cummings

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
30-12-2016, 02:48 PM

I would say most, if not all, of our best performances this season have come with Holt in the side. We play better with him in the team IMO.

I eould persevere with him and cummings. Im not JCs biggest fan, bit i think him and Holt are our strongest front two, with Keatings / Commons / Shinnie / Boyle in behind as a no.10

ancient hibee
30-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Holt was surprisingly effective on their surface in the first game,Falkirk didn't get to grips with him at all.

Jones28
30-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Keatings in for Shinnie from the team that started on saturday

Hibby Bairn
30-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Tbh it doesn't matter that much what the formation is. Too much fannying about with diamonds, 352s, wide men, no. 10s etc.

We have the players to beat every team in this league. They just need to step up and start playing to their capabilities. Tempo, aggression and finishing.

If they don't do that then it doesn't matter what formation we play as we will always keep struggling to score and win games.

Get the finger out and get on with it.

Leith's finest
31-12-2016, 10:09 AM
I hear we are changing the defence today

GreenNWhiteArmy
31-12-2016, 10:34 AM
I'd like Lennon to persevere with Cummings, even if he's not having the best of games.

He's our most prolific striker and can score out of nothing. His goal at Falkirk earlier in the season proves he's a player that can be in the right place at the right time. Although Boyle came on and scored on Saturday I wouldn't have brought him on in place of JC. The number of times the ball fell loose in the 6 yard box with nobody there to tap in was frustrating and I feel JC would be in these positions.

Still feel 6 points out the next 2 are massive. By the time our next league game comes along we SHOULD have FF/SJM back and we'll kick on.

Huge game, Cmon hibs

Heisenberg
31-12-2016, 10:42 AM
I hear we are changing the defence today

You heard wrong...same team as last week

STARTING XI | Laidlaw, Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, Martin, McGeouch, Shinnie, Commons, Holt, Cummings.

offshorehibby
31-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Hibernian FC ‏@HibsOfficial 2m2 minutes ago
STARTING XI | Laidlaw, Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, Martin, McGeouch, Shinnie, Commons, Holt, Cummings.
1 reply 12 retweets 18 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 12
Like 18
More
Hibernian FC ‏@HibsOfficial 2m2 minutes ago
SUBS | Virtanen, Fontaine, Forster, Bartley, Boyle, Keatings, Graham.