PDA

View Full Version : Celtc's "Winning Mentality"

Dan Sarf
21-12-2016, 12:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38387576

"You need to have character and that resilience. They're two of the real key factors in top sides," said Rodgers. "Whenever you're not at your highest level but you get the result, it shows you have another ingredient."

More money, perchance? :rolleyes:

Wembley67
21-12-2016, 12:37 PM

"You need to have character and that resilience. They're two of the real key factors in top sides," said Rodgers. "Whenever you're not at your highest level but you get the result, it shows you have another ingredient."

So why aren't we steamrolling the championship?

Smartie
21-12-2016, 12:54 PM
So why aren't we steamrolling the championship?

Because we've lacked the very resilience Rodgers is talking about?

I mean over the past 2 and a half years, not just this season so far so it's not a criticism of the current manager or squad as such.

We might yet develop that resilience and we have shown it at times, and in places over the past couple of years. But I don't think we show it quite enough to consider ourselves far ahead of the rest in our league.

And FWIW I think that Neil Lennon would agree that we lack a bit of resilience, I think his signings will be designed to add a bit of that, and I think this may be reflected in his wariness to play the youngsters.

Unseen work
21-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Nothing to do with them having dembele, Sinclair rogic or any other players like that.

None at all

Dashing Bob S
21-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Nothing to do with them having dembele, Sinclair rogic or any other players like that.

None at all

Wimps who were pushed around in the big school, sent back to primary and strutting around the playground intimidating children.

Winning mentality my hairy hole.

Alex Trager
21-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Wimps who were pushed around in the big school, sent back to primary and strutting around the playground intimidating children.

Agree with this thoroughly

Future17
21-12-2016, 02:38 PM

Celtc have more money than any other club in Scotland. That doesn't make what you have quoted Rodgers as saying untrue.

To an extent, he's agreeing with your point. Playing at the height of their ability, the majority of Celtc's players are better than the majority of other teams' players (even if also playing at the height of their ability). When they fail to play at the height of their ability, they are susceptible to losing (as we have seen often in the past). Therefore, if they fail to play at the height of their ability and don't lose, it is likely that other factors (such as the ones he's mentioned) have come into effect.

Yorkshire HFC
21-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Celtc have more money than any other club in Scotland. That doesn't make what you have quoted Rodgers as saying untrue.

To an extent, he's agreeing with your point. Playing at the height of their ability, the majority of Celtc's players are better than the majority of other teams' players (even if also playing at the height of their ability). When they fail to play at the height of their ability, they are susceptible to losing (as we have seen often in the past). Therefore, if they fail to play at the height of their ability and don't lose, it is likely that other factors (such as the ones he's mentioned) have come into effect.

One thing that I have noticed is players who go to Celtic and Rangers say that they have never trained so hard - seems to happen quite often - I remember Riordan said that.

Why should that be? Surely Hibs players should be training, eating, resting etc. at the same level as anyone else.

Mcpakeisgod
21-12-2016, 03:24 PM

I totally see your point with Scott Sinclair, but the fact is that topic came straight over from Aussie & moussa done pretty well at Fulham for only being 19-20! Scott Sinclair on the other hand couldn't hack it

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-12-2016, 03:27 PM
One thing that I have noticed is players who go to Celtic and Rangers say that they have never trained so hard - seems to happen quite often - I remember Riordan said that.

Why should that be? Surely Hibs players should be training, eating, resting etc. at the same level as anyone else.

It was the same when Luke Shaw signed for Man Utd - he was put on a special training plan.

My interpretation is, it's different looking outstanding for a middle of the road team but expectations at the bigger clubs are different. For 90 mins you are on the front foot so a full back at a team like Southampton wont attack or be demanded to attack by the fans for 90 mins (particularly in the games where its tight and the odd goal could nick it)

It's why we see so many of the top teams scoring late winners. It's not luck, its knowing the game isnt over till the whistle goes and being physically and mentally capable of meeting the demands

BSEJVT
21-12-2016, 03:41 PM
It was the same when Luke Shaw signed for Man Utd - he was put on a special training plan.

My interpretation is, it's different looking outstanding for a middle of the road team but expectations at the bigger clubs are different. For 90 mins you are on the front foot so a full back at a team like Southampton wont attack or be demanded to attack by the fans for 90 mins (particularly in the games where its tight and the odd goal could nick it)

It's why we see so many of the top teams scoring late winners. It's not luck, its knowing the game isnt over till the whistle goes and being physically and mentally capable of meeting the demands

Agree entirely

At top teams you need to turn it on every week or there is someone equally good waiting to take you place which you might never get back, not every time you can be bothered.

Many players cant deal with the mental demands of that.

Similarly the top players know they need to be on it every day in training to perform in matches, so rather than training being set for the lowest common denominator it is set for the highest and others are dragged up to that level or disappear.

Having the money to make them disappear fast by further recruitment certainly helps big time.

One of Hibs biggest problems in recent years is being unable to recruit replacements to move on the dross as for most of that dross they will never get a better job / package and are consequently in no hurry to move on.

Players at top teams can still get a decent gig as they slide down the totem pole and top teams can afford to absorb the costs of disposal better.