PDA

View Full Version : Half Way Point - Comparison

Keith_M
20-12-2016, 07:56 AM
On 28th December last year, we reached the half way point of league fixtures at Ibrox (where we lost, but anyway...)

Our record at that point was

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

(UPDATE FROM LAST GAME)

This season...

P

W

D
L
F
A
Pts

As we all know, we had something of a collapse in the second half of last season, so the first 18 fixtures look a lot better than the last 18.

J-C
20-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Different season, same old ****, I see no progress.

hibbysam
20-12-2016, 08:17 AM
On 28th December last year, we reached the half way point of league fixtures at Ibrox (where we lost, but anyway...)

Our record at that point was

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

We'll reach the half-way point for this season against Raith but our record so far is....

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

As we all know, we had something of a collapse in the second half of last season, so the first 18 fixtures look a lot better than the last 18.

Not too dissimilar at all, league table is extremely similar as well. Can see the game at home to United having the exact same bearing as the game on the 28th last year against Rangers. A huge psychological battle.

MacGruber
20-12-2016, 08:29 AM
On some of the other threads there are comments like 'Stubbs never had us top' and v Morton last time out, 'well we would have lost that under Stubbs'

Stats tell a different story

Over to Lennon to have a strong 2nd half of the season and win the thing.
Needs to find big improvement

Salt N Sauzee
20-12-2016, 08:52 AM

Apart from being top of the league????????????????

Peevemor
20-12-2016, 08:53 AM
On some of the other threads there are comments like 'Stubbs never had us top' and v Morton last time out, 'well we would have lost that under Stubbs'

Stats tell a different story

Over to Lennon to have a strong 2nd half of the season and win the thing.
Needs to find big improvement

We've played one less game, lost one less game and conceded 6 goals less - and we're top of the league.

I'm not sure you understand how stats work.

J-C
20-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Apart from being top of the league????????????????

No Hearts or Rangers but the football is worse, scoring less goals and still drawing/losing to crap teams. We're only top on goal difference, don't get too excited about being top, one more bad result and that goes.

Waxy
20-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Good time to have a little winning run and burst away into a healthy lead. Lets see where we are after the utd game.

pacoluna
20-12-2016, 09:14 AM
No Hearts or Rangers but the football is worse, scoring less goals and still drawing/losing to crap teams. We're only top on goal difference, don't get too excited about being top, one more bad result and that goes.
Full of optimism you are.

Andy74
20-12-2016, 09:14 AM

There's progress in that you can only play the fixtures from this year, not last, and so far we are top of the league and that is having had the spell where the wrongful red cards derailed us a bit.

We are losing less goals, we have players to come back that are crucial to us and so I don't really see where a collapse like last year will come from.

Falkirk don't currently stand in our way which is a bit of a bonus from last year also.

I don't really get the depression - I certainly wouldn't be swapping the Dundee Utd squad and management team with our any time soon. We aren't competing against last year's Hibs - we are competing against them.

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2016, 09:28 AM

With the heart of our team injured, I would say we are sitting pretty at the moment.......

percy veer
20-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Good time to have a little winning run and burst away into a healthy lead. Lets see where we are after the utd game.

In all seriousness when was the last time hibs did not have a turn of year collapse, even under Mowbray sure we had one. not confident.

hibspayne
20-12-2016, 09:31 AM
my hope at the start of the season was we would be top of the league, which we are... can we influence the other teams around us, not really apart from beating them when we play them.. simple. Do the stats look worse, no because we have conceded less and only lost 2 games. so this am happy with, performance wise and style wise no but as ive said in other posts we are only a spark away from being on a good run....

We (Hibs) need everyone behind the team and each and every player from here till the end of the season, beit at the game or on social media or even in the street, make them feel the passion we feel. All i need to do to get that good feeling back is to click on my you tube app, because the video at the top is of that fateful day in may 2016.... remember when the full time whistle went the passion in us the fans, but also the passion in each and every player. they need to feel like that every day from now till the end of the season..... Simples :flag:

GreenCastle
20-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Feeling the positive energy from some fans here..

Hopefully the players show more bottle and optimism than some are constantly posting.

Keep supporting the team - we are in a 2 horse race and need everyone to pull together - not constantly slate the team when they are top of the league !

pacoluna
20-12-2016, 09:34 AM
2014 at this stage we were on 28 points on +11 goals. Obvious fact that both seasons ended in failure. First time at this stage we haven't been chasing, Neil Lennon will take us up this year and on that basis I will regard him as a more successful manager than AS regardless of SC win.

green with envy
20-12-2016, 09:40 AM

Not entirely true! What if DU were to also have one more bad result?

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2016, 09:40 AM

Hopefully the players show more bottle and optimism than some are constantly posting.

Keep supporting the team - we are too in a 2 horse race and need everyone to pull together - not constantly slate the team when they are top of the league !

:flag::flag::top marks:top marks

lyonhibs
20-12-2016, 09:43 AM
It's the status at the finishing line that I'm interested in. I can't see us having a collapse like we had under Stubbs in March/April of last season. Perversely, this cagey and frankly dull style that Lennon seems to have implemented makes me more confident that the arse won't fall out of our season.

That said, it won't be pretty, we won't "skoosh" it and I'm sure our fingernails will be shredded by the final game of the season but as long as we go up when all is said and done, I don't care.

J-C
20-12-2016, 09:48 AM
With the heart of our team injured, I would say we are sitting pretty at the moment.......

Where they missing when Ayr beat us?

Full strength midfield against St Mirren in the Irn Bru cup at home.

Don't make excuses about missing players because there shouldn't be excuses, our squad should be strong enough to cope with missing some players, even though they might be key players.

The football is terrible to watch and I can't see any progress from last season, results wise.

PercyHibs
20-12-2016, 09:48 AM
There's progress in that you can only play the fixtures from this year, not last, and so far we are top of the league and that is having had the spell where the wrongful red cards derailed us a bit.

We are losing less goals, we have players to come back that are crucial to us and so I don't really see where a collapse like last year will come from.

Falkirk don't currently stand in our way which is a bit of a bonus from last year also.

I don't really get the depression - I certainly wouldn't be swapping the Dundee Utd squad and management team with our any time soon. We aren't competing against last year's Hibs - we are competing against them.

my thoughts exactly. When we were entering the last 10-15 games of last season our players were worn out. This year we will have players returning from injury pretty fresh and hungry. Will make all the difference I think.

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Don't make excuses about missing players because there shouldn't be excuses, our squad should be strong enough to cope with missing some players, even though they might be key players.

The football is terrible to watch and I can't see any progress from last season, results wise.

You see what you want to see, I will do the same:aok:

Ayr beat us after the red card, which was later rescinded...(Another excuse)

J-C
20-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Not entirely true! What if DU were to also have one more bad result?

What ifs, should we really be hoping for what ifs :confused:

BoomtownHibees
20-12-2016, 09:50 AM

The original point was a "what if"

GreenCastle
20-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Results wise we are top currently - this time last season we weren't

J-C
20-12-2016, 09:52 AM
The original point was a "what if"

Eh?

California-Hibs
20-12-2016, 09:52 AM

It's almost like you want that one more bad result to come...

Onion
20-12-2016, 09:53 AM
Hibs will not collapse the way they did last season and DUFC will not go on the type of winning run Sevco did in the 2nd half of the season. Hibs simply need to be competent to win the title this time, which means playing a lot better than last Sat.

BoomtownHibees
20-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Eh?

You questioned a post that said "what if Dundee Utd also drop points" however that was in reply to a "what if" about Hibs

GreenCastle

That's how I read a lot of these posts currently on the message board.

People wanting Lennon to fail and us to be stuck here for another season.

Instead of let's push on and go on a run / open up a gap !

green with envy

I'm not hoping for that in the least. Your comment that i quoted is surely based on ifs, also what you said in your comment as i've already pointed out to you is not entirely true.

If you want to base your comments on hypothetical scenarios be my guest, but i would rather you post based on fact.

J-C
20-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Nope, I'll support the team at every home game like I do every year and hope they turn it on for a good win, the lat few games have been brutal to watch, 2 or 3 decent wins but again too many draws/loses thrown into the mix, we've allowed Dundee U to catch up on us.

We should be at least 10 points clear of the rest by now but we're not, lets hope the 2nd half of the season is better and we start pulling away.

J-C
20-12-2016, 10:07 AM
You questioned a post that said "what if Dundee Utd also drop points" however that was in reply to a "what if" about Hibs

I'm not hoping for that in the least. Your comment that i quoted is surely based on ifs, also what you said in your comment as i've already pointed out to you is not entirely true.

If you want to base your comments on hypothetical scenarios be my guest, but i would rather you post based on fact.

I was making the point that we shouldn't be relying on what if results, we should be taking this league by the scruff of the neck and walking it, which we are not, plus the football is poor to watch.

The OP was showing comparison to last season and I can't see much difference, I'd have thought we'd be 9-10 points more with the games we've played, considering there's no Rangers this year.

Yes we're top of the league nut only just by a few goals difference, that is just not good enough.

green with envy
20-12-2016, 10:13 AM
I was making the point that we shouldn't be relying on what if results, we should be taking this league by the scruff of the neck and walking it, which we are not, plus the football is poor to watch.

The OP was showing comparison to last season and I can't see much difference, I'd have thought we'd be 9-10 points more with the games we've played, considering there's no Rangers this year.

Yes we're top of the league nut only just by a few goals difference, that is just not good enough.

I have no idea why you thought we would be 10 points clear at this stage of the season?

Lee Marvin
20-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Agree with this.

Whilst I don't think it's time to panic yet, I cannot understand how anyone can be particularly happy with the season so far.

My half season rating would be a 6/10. Not good enough.

J-C
20-12-2016, 10:19 AM
I have no idea why you thought we would be 10 points clear at this stage of the season?

Drawn 5 and 2 loses, surely out of those 7 games we should gathered at least 9-10 points, a draw at Dundee U and beating Ayr at Home instead of losing and we have 5 points there, add a couple of wins instead of draws at Raith and QOS and there's your 9-10 points. We let Dundee U gain 8 points on us.

One Day Soon
20-12-2016, 10:22 AM
We've played one less game, lost one less game and conceded 6 goals less - and we're top of the league.

Ouch.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Last season Rangers were expected to romp the league - particularly after building up a healthy lead. But after dropping points in some silly games found themselves heading in to a game on Dec 28th at home to their nearest rivals knowing a loss could see them unsurped at the top of the table. Sounds familiar eh?

It seems many on here won't be content with a "job done" type of result for too many games or like the fact that we are no longer the hunter but the huntee - is it the underdogs tag that everyone seems to prefer? It's amazing what a week can do in football, never mind a month. After Brondby, pre season then the start we had i think a lot of people were saying or at least thinking we've finally got a manager that will take charge and win at all costs but playing fast and direct football.

That has not changed in my eyes - we go in to every game as the top dogs, everybody wants to beat us. the problem, imo is that the teams want to beat us by sitting in, cutting off our options then hitting us on the break when out full backs are up the park. Recently it's been even harder for us to play a style of football we'd like to see with our main drive for midfield injured whilst the player that is the link between defence and midfield and breaks up opposition attacks and starts off ours is also out injured!!

in terms of comparison - dont really see the point in that. We've got Dun Utd as a replacement for Rangers and Dunfermline/Ayr as replacements for Alloa/Livingston so nobody can really tell whether this season's league is stronger or not going by name.

On to Raith at Saturday and i'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they come out and attack and we can rip them a new one - HAVE FAITH :flag:

Moulin Yarns
20-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Drawn 5 and 2 loses, surely out of those 7 games we should gathered at least 9-10 points, a draw at Dundee U and beating Ayr at Home instead of losing and we have 5 points there, add a couple of wins instead of draws at Raith and QOS and there's your 9-10 points. We let Dundee U gain 8 points on us.

A lot of that was as a result of Marvin Batley's red cars, subsequently rescinded. was it 5 points dropped?

hibbysam
20-12-2016, 10:25 AM
In all seriousness when was the last time hibs did not have a turn of year collapse, even under Mowbray sure we had one. not confident.

2 years ago.

green with envy
20-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Wow! I never realised that winning was that simple.:confused:

hibbysam
20-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Nope, I'll support the team at every home game like I do every year and hope they turn it on for a good win, the lat few games have been brutal to watch, 2 or 3 decent wins but again too many draws/loses thrown into the mix, we've allowed Dundee U to catch up on us.

We should be at least 10 points clear of the rest by now but we're not, lets hope the 2nd half of the season is better and we start pulling away.

To be 10 points clear right now, we would have had to win 15 of our 17 games. Crazy line of though.

percy veer
20-12-2016, 10:29 AM
2 years ago.

aye your right, roles reversed had crap start. other than that?

hibbysam
20-12-2016, 10:49 AM
aye your right, roles reversed had crap start. other than that?

I don't think we can look further back than when our change in management/structure came in. Two years ago we were exceptional from October onwards.

Last season very similar but halted in Late February into March, through no other reason than the volume of games piling up, and a lot of concentration went into Cup games, playing Saturday Wednesday Saturday, Cup finals, derbies, cup replays all taking so much out of the players. This season we don't have big League Cup games, and I can't see us being quite so rigid in terms of Competing in the Scottish Cup (Not saying we won't be trying, but there may be a little bit of tinkering, plus McGinn, Fyvie, Keatings are all going to feel like brand new players rather than exhausted ones).

Super_JMcGinn
20-12-2016, 10:50 AM

The football is like night and day compared to last season, and no one could have foreseen the collapse we had last season, who says it can't happen this ? we still have the same defence albeit a different keeper.

Super_JMcGinn
20-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Keep supporting the team - we are in a 2 horse race and need everyone to pull together - not constantly slate the team when they are top of the league !

Stubbsy said we were in a 2 horse race before the 0-3 defeat to Morton last season, look what happened to that prediction.

MacGruber
20-12-2016, 11:02 AM

Pretty selective - we also won 3 more games but convenient to leave that out.

We lost the 18th game at inbrox. After 17 games last season to 17 this we had lost the same.

What's missing is 41 points after 17 - 35 points this season
I must be getting the stats wrong then... though we are 6 points worse off. I thought that wasn't as good. The performances certainly haven't been.

Last season we had a poor second half. This season we need it to be much better. Let's hope that's the case

J-C
20-12-2016, 11:06 AM
A lot of that was as a result of Marvin Batley's red cars, subsequently rescinded. was it 5 points dropped?

Forget the red cards, proper subs during those games and we would've got more out of them, just an excuse.

Wow! I never realised that winning was that simple.:confused:

It can be if every plays to their capabilities and that goes for the manager too with his team selections.

To be 10 points clear right now, we would have had to win 15 of our 17 games. Crazy line of though.

Not really, change the 2 losses into draws and win a couple of the draws and there you have 8 points right there, or do you not think we were capable of doing that.

GreenCastle
20-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Stubbsy said we were in a 2 horse race before the 0-3 defeat to Morton last season, look what happened to that prediction.

Looking at the league table right now and the form of Falkirk it does look like a 2 horse race.

I think we will keep the pace this time and win the league.

Few things to remember this season...

1 - 2 games Bartley was given red - both changed after
2 - injuries - this is our worst injury record for a long time
3 - Dundee Utd and Falkirk - main rivals - draw and loss (just against Utd) - win and draw against Falkirk

We do need to improve our goalscoring and put a run together which sees us win 3 plus games in a row to create another gap.

Next 3 games are so important! Win all 3 which will be a tough ask but will really drive us on I feel.

Utd's top goal scorer is a midfielder and do they have big enough squad to last ? They get a decent striker and things may change though!

Mr White
20-12-2016, 11:10 AM

If we had taken 6 points off utd instead of 1 we would be 9 points clear of them. Pretty pointless aspect of the discussion admittedly but that's all it would have taken.

TrinityHibs
20-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Forget the red cards, proper subs during those games and we would've got more out of them, just an excuse.

It can be if every plays to their capabilities and that goes for the manager too with his team selections.

Not really, change the 2 losses into draws and win a couple of the draws and there you have 8 points right there, or do you not think we were capable of doing that.

It would certainly be easier to win the league if they were giving us 8 points when everyone else was getting 6 or am I missing something?

2x+1 = +2
2x+2= +4

Captain Trips
20-12-2016, 11:14 AM
I think NL is airing on side of caution he knows he has to finish top and I think that is why we haven't seen the greatest of football.

We might open it up a bit if we can get a few points ahead of Utd but until then I can see a lot more of us with emphasis on not conceding.

Whatever it takes IMO as if we don't go up we are done.

Lago
20-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Gosh I was accused by some on here, wont mention names, of posting predominantly negative posts, I disagreed, but what I've been reading on .net since the Morton game makes me almost a happy clapper:greengrin

BH Hibs
20-12-2016, 11:18 AM
The football is like night and day compared to last season, and no one could have foreseen the collapse we had last season, who says it can't happen this ? we still have the same defence albeit a different keeper.

Why is it some guys on here are all to willing to believe we will collapse or go on a losing run and other teams will win all their games. Yes the football in the last few games hasn't been pretty to watch but we have been missing 2 or 3 of our best players and certainly our most creative players. How many posters were on here at the start of the season or even the end of last season saying Stubbs was playing to much football and fannying about where we needed to be more direct now suddenly we are playing hoofball. The only real concern or problem I have at the moment is we don't seem to have addressed the lack of pace or width in the squad but hopefully that will change in January. I think oncee we get our players back with one or two new faces we will kick on again and let's see how others deal with suspensions and injuries. GGTTH

Peevemor
20-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Pretty selective - we also won 3 more games but convenient to leave that out.

We lost the 18th game at inbrox. After 17 games last season to 17 this we had lost the same.

What's missing is 41 points after 17 - 35 points this season
I must be getting the stats wrong then... though we are 6 points worse off. I thought that wasn't as good. The performances certainly haven't been.

Last season we had a poor second half. This season we need it to be much better. Let's hope that's the case

If we win against Raith Rovers, we'll only be 3 points worse off after a similar number of games. This time last year we were happy after an unbeaten run including 13 wins and 2 draws. OK, we're a bit worse off points wise this year but with our best player(s) set to return to fitness in January I find the current negativity on here a bit OTT.

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2016, 11:22 AM

FFS, did someone do a dump in your kettle??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2016, 11:23 AM
If we win against Raith Rovers, we'll only be 3 points worse off after a similar number of games. This time last year we were happy after an unbeaten run including 13 wins and 2 draws. OK, we're a bit worse off points wise this year but with our best player(s) set to return to fitness in January I find the current negativity on here a bit OTT.

Correct:top marks

J-C
20-12-2016, 11:25 AM
It would certainly be easier to win the league if they were giving us 8 points when everyone else was getting 6 or am I missing something?

2x+1 = +2
2x+2= +4

Haha getting all mixed up myself :greengrin

2 loses into wins is what I meant = +6
2 draws into wins = +4

Gives the 10 points in my original post.

Bobby's Cinema
20-12-2016, 11:28 AM
We've missed two opportunities to kick on the last few weeks that's is what frustrating. Not to mention the performance level was dire.

A chance to lay down a marker and show dominance.

Still lots of questions for the manager to answer. I expected better up to this point.

Nutmegged
20-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Saw those stats on the AgentScotland thread on Hibs last night, which was quite good incidently.

We're 6 points worse off than at this stage last season but a goal to the good

Peevemor
20-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Saw those stats on the AgentScotland thread on Hibs last night, which was quite good incidently.

We're 6 points worse off than at this stage last season but a goal to the good

3 goals to the good on goal difference and a "game in hand". :wink:

Moulin Yarns
20-12-2016, 11:36 AM

2 draws into wins = +4

Arithmetic is not your strong point :wink:

lapsedhibee
20-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Why would we have got 2 points for a draw at Tannadechee? Something to do with restricted view, or just basic yamathematics, or whit? :confused:

J-C
20-12-2016, 11:39 AM

Arithmetic is not your strong point :wink:

I was talking about this original post mentioning 10 points. :wink:

J-C
20-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Why would we have got 2 points for a draw at Tannadechee? Something to do with restricted view, or just basic yamathematics, or whit? :confused:

Obviously was meant to be 4

lapsedhibee
20-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Obviously was meant to be 4

Yam.

:greengrin

MacGruber
20-12-2016, 11:55 AM

Fair enough. Hope we can keep our noses in front.

As you can guess I remain to be convinced

Negativity is coming from concern that whilst we are ahead on goals, we should be out in front with clear water putting pressure on the chasing pack. The longer it's nip and tuck the pressure switches to us as we should win the league with our resources. We are making heavy weather of it up to now.

hibbysam
20-12-2016, 12:03 PM

2 draws into wins = +4

Which would give us 14 wins and 3 draws, unbeaten going into the New Year, when have we ever said that about Hibs? 45 from 51 points, even Rangers who "Skooshed it" didn't have that!!

Nutmegged
20-12-2016, 12:25 PM
3 goals to the good on goal difference and a "game in hand". :wink:

No the comparison last night was from week 17 of both seasons

Peevemor
20-12-2016, 12:29 PM
No the comparison last night was from week 17 of both seasons

Sorry I misunderstood - I was looking at the OP.

J-C
20-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Which would give us 14 wins and 3 draws, unbeaten going into the New Year, when have we ever said that about Hibs? 45 from 51 points, even Rangers who "Skooshed it" didn't have that!!

Even I didn't expect to "Shoosh" anything and I've never posted we should, yes 10 points extra were available but even if we got half of them we would be 5 pts ahead, that shouldn't be too much to ask for seeing it's our 3rd year down here with the highest budget in the league, surely as a support we want to see improvement and not looking at last years table thinking it all looks too familiar.

Ozyhibby
20-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Whatever way you look at it, we have not been good enough up to now. We need to invest heavily in January so that we make absolutely sure in the 2nd half of the season. We can't afford to gamble now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
20-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Whatever way you look at it, we have not been good enough up to now.

We'll only know that at the end of the season.

We need to invest heavily in January so that we make absolutely sure in the 2nd half of the season. We can't afford to gamble now.

We'll only know that at the end of the season.

Blaster
20-12-2016, 12:49 PM
This extra budget part is a tricky one for me. In my opinion it allows us to have a bigger squad and should mean better quality than the other teams. And we have that

But it's not quality to the extent that we are miles ahead and able to turn it on every single week. Let's face it if the quality was that much better they wouldn't be playing in the championship

We have the best team by a bit. But not by enough to be able to write off other teams from being able to get the odd result against us

What we do need it 7-8 players minimum playing well in games which would be enough to win this league.

Moulin Yarns
20-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Even I didn't expect to "Shoosh" anything and I've never posted we should, yes 10 points extra were available but even if we got half of them we would be 5 pts ahead, that shouldn't be too much to ask for seeing it's our 3rd year down here with the highest budget in the league, surely as a support we want to see improvement and not looking at last years table thinking it all looks too familiar.

Consistent and fair refereeing isn't too much to ask for either, and 2 red cards wrongly shown to Marvin Bartley account for those 5 points.

euro Hibby
20-12-2016, 01:29 PM
words can be confusing for some so I might suggest we just put a number to the performance of Hibs this season here to date.

For me its a 6/10.

Andy74
20-12-2016, 02:00 PM
words can be confusing for some so I might suggest we just put a number to the performance of Hibs this season here to date.

For me its a 6/10.

I'd prefer to put a number on league position just now - 1st.

BoomtownHibees
20-12-2016, 02:04 PM

A lot of "what ifs"

southern hibby
20-12-2016, 02:55 PM

BF would agree 100%. However the football ain't pretty and punting the ball up to strikers and missing out midfield, scoring a goal against Morton and bringing on a defender there's only 2 possibilities I can see here.

First is NL wants to ride out the storm without loosing to many games before first choice midfielders are back from injury or second he is trying his hardest to make team look terrible so board has to back him in window to bring in players.

Either way we're still top ( even if only on goal difference) but biggest criticism I'll give NL is not being straight to hibs when excepting job and more interested in international pundit. Only hope for his and our sake that doesn't come back to bite him in the bottom.

GGTTH

beensaidbefore
20-12-2016, 04:18 PM
As far as I can see from the opening posts stats, if we win our next game 3 - nil, then we will have the same points and same goals scored, with fewer defeats and fewer conceded.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

beensaidbefore
20-12-2016, 04:20 PM

For me its a 6/10.

Compared with when? I'm assuming you are not suggesting last season was 10/10 at this stage of the game?

Dashing Bob S
20-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Hibs will not collapse the way they did last season and DUFC will not go on the type of winning run Sevco did in the 2nd half of the season. Hibs simply need to be competent to win the title this time, which means playing a lot better than last Sat.

I've been quite critical of the team in recently weeks, but I agree that this is still the most likely scenario.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Hibs will not collapse the way they did last season and DUFC will not go on the type of winning run Sevco did in the 2nd half of the season. Hibs simply need to be competent to win the title this time, which means playing a lot better than last Sat.Sevco didn't go on a winning run, we completely blew it. We had a run of 1 win in 9, if that was 6 wins in 9 we'd have won the title.

Keith_M
20-12-2016, 05:52 PM
As far as I can see from the opening posts stats, if we win our next game 3 - nil, then we will have the same points and same goals scored, with fewer defeats and fewer conceded.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, you're wrong.

:wink:

If we win our next game 3-nil, we'll be on 38 points, three less than at the same point last season.

Onion
20-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Sevco didn't go on a winning run, we completely blew it. We had a run of 1 win in 9, if that was 6 wins in 9 we'd have won the title.

Really ? Sevco's results from 28 Dec (when the did us 4-2) to 11 March

P 11, W10, D1, L0 F26 A 5

That run blew everyone else away. Their form died when they knew the league was seen up, and they went on holiday until 22 May 2016 :greengrin

Unseen work
21-12-2016, 12:37 AM
If only football was as simple as some people on here make out.

jgl07
21-12-2016, 01:07 AM

There were no Hearts last seasn and no Dundee United either!

The Leith Dutch
21-12-2016, 04:08 AM
2014 at this stage we were on 28 points on +11 goals. Obvious fact that both seasons ended in failure. First time at this stage we haven't been chasing, Neil Lennon will take us up this year and on that basis I will regard him as a more successful manager than AS regardless of SC win.

And in 2014 we finished second.
So 28 points at the halfway stage in 2014 finished one place higher than 41 in 2015.

It's almost as though the most important games are the ones we have left :)

Keith_M
21-12-2016, 07:43 AM
I'd be willing to bet that if we repeat the points total from the first half of the season (presuming we win on Saturday) in the second half, we'll win the league.

I realise the last two seasons the league winners have had much higher points totals but those are exceptions in this league.

California-Hibs
21-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Everyone needs to settle down a bit. We're gonna win the league this year. End of.

Keith_M
27-12-2016, 01:07 PM
So, I was wrong in my prediction we would win the game against Raíth, so here's the actual difference.

2015/16

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

2016/17

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

J-C
27-12-2016, 01:10 PM
So, I was wrong in my prediction we would win the game against Raíth, so here's the actual difference.

2015/16

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

2016/17

P
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

It's disgraceful that we have drawn one third of the games played to date, that in itself is a poor poor stat.

Jones28
27-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm really hopeful that we've had our bad patch that usually comes in March. Our midfield has been decimated with injuries and we've had poor decisions go against us in games which we've then gone in to either draw or lose.

The negativity on here is very OTT

The Captain....
27-12-2016, 01:36 PM
I'd say the stats are a pretty accurate relfection of the season so far...we've been disappointing..in both results and in the majority of performances.

I still think we'll win the league (just) as we'll out stay the field..I can't see us suddenly playing entertaining football tho, it will be a grim slog to the line.

where'stheslope
27-12-2016, 04:01 PM
The only stat that matters is after 36 games are played by all teams!!!

Yes we have had injuries, and we've had the brunt of bad refereeing decisions!!

We have to hope when the injuries finally clear up and the players don't take to long to get back up to speed.

I said it on another thread, "you will not know what this League has in store until the end of February", as from there on in there is less games to make amends for any hiccups!!!

Vini1875
27-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Beating Falkirk and dufc is everything, because we all need the lift, players, management and fans. Add to that a couple of good signings and we can hopefully add momentum just when it is needed. Consistency is the thing from now on as the team who is winning is putting pressure on the other - one buckles, while the other pulls away. We have the squad to be the one who pulls away.

Is It On....
27-12-2016, 08:39 PM

NL and our interests are perfectly aligned. We need to go up and he needs to take us up to have a shot at another chance in England. We should expect better in 2017 and promotion.

monktonharp
27-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Beating Falkirk and dufc is everything, because we all need the lift, players, management and fans. Add to that a couple of good signings and we can hopefully add momentum just when it is needed. Consistency is the thing from now on as the team who is winning is putting pressure on the other - one buckles, while the other pulls away. We have the squad to be the one who pulls away.think you are correct. both games coming up are the crucial ones. It would be a huge boost to win at Fakirk in itself. the DUFC game takes care of itself, in atmosphere alone. the team must respond to that. add in a SC win mid-Jan and we're back on track hoping for Fyvie and possibly SJM raring to go.

SGE HIBS
28-12-2016, 04:17 AM
You see what you want to see, I will do the same:aok:

Ayr beat us after the red card, which was later rescinded...(Another excuse)

I'm not sure he is interested in the truth getting in the road 😂😂

GlasgowHibee
28-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Beat Falkirk and Dundee United and we win the league, not literally, but mentally!

Question is, if we fail to beat both and we end up 6/7/8 points behind United, does Lennon go?

The Leith Dutch
28-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Question is, if we fail to beat both and we end up 6/7/8 points behind United, does Lennon go?

If Lennon does go I predict six months of "The new manager needs to get his own players in before we can convert our massively superior budget into that art of scoring more goals than part time teams" ;)

I don't think we need to go into bed wetting mode as we're still in this but we need to start playing every match with the kind of intensity teams like Raith show against us.

Don Giovanni
28-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Thought it might be useful to give some conext of our season to date by looking at points and placings over the past couple of seasons...

Championship 14/15
Hearts P36 Points 91 GD +70
Hibs P36 Points 70 GD +38
THE Rangers P36 Points 67 GD +30

Championship 15/16*
THE Rangers P36 Points 81 GD +54
Falkirk P36 Points 70 GD +27
Hibs P36 Points 70 GD +25
* NOTE: the top 3 all conceeded 34 goals.

Championship 16/17
Dundee Utd P18 Points 38 GD +14
Hibs P18 Points 36 GD +20
Morton P17 Points 27 GD +6

At the half way stage we are on course for 72 points. This would not be good enough to win the league in the past couple of years. I'm not convinced it will be this year either.

The number of points/game we've accumulated in each season has been remarkably consistent. We are bang average again and simply not good enough so far.

The team that has the the best goal difference/has scored the most goals has won the league in the previous two years. In these aspects we are ahead of Utd.

Injuries and poor referee-ing decisions are won't matter at the end of the season - points will. We are just as likely to have injuries and wrongful red cards in the second half of the season as the first - what has gone before is irrelevant and the standard of referee-ing remains pish. I'd also bet Utd fans will claim injuries and poor refs have cost them points this season too.

Utd's form has carried them above us at this point and whilst they may regress a little there isn't a huge amount to suggest we are suddenly going to go on a winning streak.

Head to head games could play a significant role. Clearly Utd. are ahead here.
We've both taken 4 points from 2 games against our nearest challenger Morton, although again our GD is better over those fixtures.

I think it could be nip and tuck until the end of the season. There is very lottle to sepwrate the two teams.

One factor that could really change the course of this season is the January window. Specifically a goal scorer for either club could be the difference between the title and the lottery ticket of the play-offs.

Canon Hannan
28-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Beat Falkirk and Dundee United and we win the league, not literally, but mentally!

No he doesn't.
Did we bin Stubbs on the same points each year?
We back him this year and next in whatever league we are in.

28-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Dundee Utd are the same as we were this time last season, on a high at managing to close a gap and feeling confident. Hopefully, like us last year they stumble and we go pulling away. Huge second half of the season for the club. Winning the league is absolutely essential, we cannot risk the lottery of the play-offs again.

Dundee Hibee
28-12-2016, 02:54 PM
We are away to Falkirk and they are away to Dumbarton, We have the toughest fixture and can easily draw that game, if that is the case and they beat Dumbarton then we can beat them the following week and they will still be top.

lord bunberry
28-12-2016, 03:02 PM
It's disgraceful that we have drawn one third of the games played to date, that in itself is a poor poor stat.

Considering we won the first 5 games, then only managed to win 5 of the next 13 I'm getting more and more concerned as the weeks go by.

Blaster
28-12-2016, 03:14 PM
We are away to Falkirk and they are away to Dumbarton, We have the toughest fixture and can easily draw that game, if that is the case and they beat Dumbarton then we can beat them the following week and they will still be top.

Alternatively the reverse of these fixtures they lost to Dumbarton and we beat Falkirk. If the same happens again and we then beat united we'll be 4 points clear

Hope I am right and you're wrong 😄

DJ HIBBY
28-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Still a long way to go and whilst we are still in the hunt for the league, it can be viewed that our first half performance has been well below standards expected. To draw 1 in 3 games in this league is a poor return when we hired a proven manager and were expected to push on from the Scottish Cup success. The recruitment has been questionable and we have clearly regressed both with the quality of player and style of our play. We aren't the entertaining team to watch that we were under Stubbs, who until this point also had a much better league record considering Rangers are stronger opposition than Dundee United. The jury for me on Lennon is out, something doesn't feel right about ER this season compared to the last 2 seasons when there appeared to be a strong team spirit. That said, Dundee united will have another tricky spell as they also aren't good enough to sustain their current run. We just need to make sure we stay in the hunt and take advantage when they slip up.

Should we get promoted next season, better quality players will need to be signed. Last season I would have said the squad could have more than handled the SPL, now I am unsure.

Big 2 games ahead. Bring it on

ancient hibee
28-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Thought it might be useful to give some conext of our season to date by looking at points and placings over the past couple of seasons...

Championship 14/15
Hearts P36 Points 91 GD +70
Hibs P36 Points 70 GD +38
THE Rangers P36 Points 67 GD +30

Championship 15/16*
THE Rangers P36 Points 81 GD +54
Falkirk P36 Points 70 GD +27
Hibs P36 Points 70 GD +25
* NOTE: the top 3 all conceeded 34 goals.

Championship 16/17
Dundee Utd P18 Points 38 GD +14
Hibs P18 Points 36 GD +20
Morton P17 Points 27 GD +6

At the half way stage we are on course for 72 points. This would not be good enough to win the league in the past couple of years. I'm not convinced it will be this year either.

The number of points/game we've accumulated in each season has been remarkably consistent. We are bang average again and simply not good enough so far.

The team that has the the best goal difference/has scored the most goals has won the league in the previous two years. In these aspects we are ahead of Utd.

Injuries and poor referee-ing decisions are won't matter at the end of the season - points will. We are just as likely to have injuries and wrongful red cards in the second half of the season as the first - what has gone before is irrelevant and the standard of referee-ing remains pish. I'd also bet Utd fans will claim injuries and poor refs have cost them points this season too.

Utd's form has carried them above us at this point and whilst they may regress a little there isn't a huge amount to suggest we are suddenly going to go on a winning streak.

Head to head games could play a significant role. Clearly Utd. are ahead here.
We've both taken 4 points from 2 games against our nearest challenger Morton, although again our GD is better over those fixtures.

I think it could be nip and tuck until the end of the season. There is very lottle to sepwrate the two teams.

One factor that could really change the course of this season is the January window. Specifically a goal scorer for either club could be the difference between the title and the lottery ticket of the play-offs.
Not wishing to appear smart but you are totally wrong in saying 72 points would not have won the league in the last two seasons as in fact in each season the second team got only 70 points.

Don Giovanni
28-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Not wishing to appear smart but you are totally wrong in saying 72 points would not have won the league in the last two seasons as in fact in each season the second team got only 70 points.

Indeed. But since the first placed teams accumulated 91 and 81 points respectively, then 72 points would leave a team somewhat short of winning the league?

:greengrin:

ancient hibee
28-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Indeed. But since the first placed teams accumulated 91 and 81 points respectively, then 72 points would leave a team somewhat short of winning the league?

:greengrin:

Not necessarily.It would depend on how the 19 and 9 points were distributed in the respective seasons.

Captain Trips
28-12-2016, 11:45 PM
I guess a solace would be we are 2pts behind at this stage with more than a few average performances. I would like to think there is more in locker.

Ffs hope so anyway.

Don Giovanni
29-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Not necessarily.It would depend on how the 19 and 9 points were distributed in the respective seasons.

Yes, in an entirely hypothetical season where we amassed 72 points another team could total less or indeed more points.

I think the OP was comparing this season to last, where >70 points would be required to finish above the second place team but >81 points would be required to finish above the first placed team and win the league.

We will know by the end of May how many points were required to win the league - obviously. In the meantime it's interesting to speculate based on previous performance.