PDA

View Full Version : thoughts

hibspayne
19-12-2016, 12:59 PM
So not sure if this deserves its own thread or I will just be shot down straight away, and before I get into it no I dont go to many games simply because I might only live in Fife but the overall cost each week is just no no for me, but that doesnt stop me from being a fan always have been and always will be.... so watched the game on Alba and my thoughts are as follows..

(1) we are alot my direct with NL in charge than Stubbs, we dont play out from the back as much we "hoof" it but no where near as bad as when Butcher sat in the dug out (cant bring myself to say managed the team so in my head he just sat there)
(2) think we improved when Holt came on, his distribution was good, but that was from a deep role. He pushed the ball out wide 2 or 3 times with precise passing, didnt see anything from Graham at all
(3) Lewis I thought put the ball in the right place when he tried crossing it, but nobody made the runs (apart from 1 or 2 crosses that didnt pass the first guys, but i personally think thats down to his instructions to drill it in low)
(4) Grey looked similar to Lewis he tried but just couldnt get the ball in
(5) Commons looked good in bits, am just nervous he came thinking he would walk it.... cant do that in this league. he went for goal from way out, no one else would of tried it so he brought a spark.. and that brings me on to my final point.
(6) We didnt have a spark, Bartley is there to defend not attack, when he does he gets lost, nobody in the middle of the park want to run the game thats why I think we went route 1 a lot as nothing was coming from the middle. Look at them when we get a shy, no movement had flashbacks of Alex Miller days, they didnt want the ball to dictate it.

Anyway, thats my thoughts and I dont post much but I want our boys back where they belong, I dont want lennon out and dont think we need to change much we just need that spark......

thoughts..............:flag:

Jack
19-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Bang!

;-)

Smartie
19-12-2016, 01:15 PM
So not sure if this deserves its own thread or I will just be shot down straight away, and before I get into it no I dont go to many games simply because I might only live in Fife but the overall cost each week is just no no for me, but that doesnt stop me from being a fan always have been and always will be.... so watched the game on Alba and my thoughts are as follows..

(1) we are alot my direct with NL in charge than Stubbs, we dont play out from the back as much we "hoof" it but no where near as bad as when Butcher sat in the dug out (cant bring myself to say managed the team so in my head he just sat there)
(2) think we improved when Holt came on, his distribution was good, but that was from a deep role. He pushed the ball out wide 2 or 3 times with precise passing, didnt see anything from Graham at all
(3) Lewis I thought put the ball in the right place when he tried crossing it, but nobody made the runs (apart from 1 or 2 crosses that didnt pass the first guys, but i personally think thats down to his instructions to drill it in low)
(4) Grey looked similar to Lewis he tried but just couldnt get the ball in
(5) Commons looked good in bits, am just nervous he came thinking he would walk it.... cant do that in this league. he went for goal from way out, no one else would of tried it so he brought a spark.. and that brings me on to my final point.
(6) We didnt have a spark, Bartley is there to defend not attack, when he does he gets lost, nobody in the middle of the park want to run the game thats why I think we went route 1 a lot as nothing was coming from the middle. Look at them when we get a shy, no movement had flashbacks of Alex Miller days, they didnt want the ball to dictate it.

Anyway, thats my thoughts and I dont post much but I want our boys back where they belong, I dont want lennon out and dont think we need to change much we just need that spark......

thoughts..............:flag:

My thoughts - you make some decent points.

1. We've certainly been more direct in recent weeks. Having a more direct or "hoofball" option can actually help you play football. Instead of defensive lines pressing up and strangling the space to play in midfield if you have a target man or pace in behind they drop deeper, allowing you more space to play football. This will work fine when you have quality midfield players like McGinn, Fyvie and McGeouch, it isn't happening right now. Plan A being hoofball has it's place but let's face it that place should be Tynecastle. At the moment though I'd accept anything that got results. I don't share the view of many that Saturday's was an awful result - it was ok, we've consistently failed to crush Morton at Cappielow and have no divine right to expect to do so. And Dundee United didn't either.

2. Agreed. I think we always look a better team when Holt is in there and he should be restored to the starting line-up pronto. He isn't pretty but our team looks better with him in it. Cummings would benefit, as would Commons, by having a striker who can hold it up and make passes.

3. Sometimes Stevenson's crosses as awful - that has always been the case. Sometimes Stevenson's crosses are excellent and nobody gets on the end of them - this is often overlooked and imo is more of a problem with the strikers. It happened regularly last season. Basically, I agree with you.

4. Agreed. This was one of Gray's poorest games for us.

5. He brought a spark, which we've needed, agreed. I thought he did fine for someone who has played so little football and only met his teammates for the first time the day before.

6. The position that Bartley plays will often dictate the way your team plays a game. He's a great stopper but he's awful at taking the ball from the defence and making things happen - hence so much hoofball. Kevin McBride was immense for us at this, and when he was on his game, more often than not so would Hibs. But if that player is nullified or missing then teams will struggle. Fyvie is one of the best around at this role, McGeouch can do it well too. Lennon has to find a way to get Hibs playing through the midfield and not lumping it up the park.

I'm not as desperate as most on here seem to be yet. It's far from ideal but as soon as we lost Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch I adjusted my expectations for the next month. We need to keep pace with United, add to our squad in January and pull away through the second half of the season. Losing the head at this stage and panicking is the worst thing we should do.

Salt N Sauzee
19-12-2016, 01:30 PM
refreshing to see a somewhat positive post amongst all the pissy sheets!

hibspayne
19-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Always refreshing to know am not the minority, all we need is that spark and totally agree that losing McGinn and Fyfie our midfield became dare I say it but a Championship midfield, we have a strong squad, Lennon just needs to get the best out of them..... am still positive we will go up and we will go up by topping the league but it will not be a run away... but the lessons we learn this season and the past will make us strong the premiership.... :flag: