PDA

View Full Version : Playing in to their hands

madhatter
19-12-2016, 09:13 AM
I personally think that we are creating our own downfall in this league. Have done for years. Very rigid in our play. No creative movement and if this was a fifa game it'd be a choice between Organised and Free Roam or something like that.

Our players constantly staying in shape are making us defensively solid but making us easy to mark. A few zombies out the walking dead would be able to mark our players - in case someone doesn't get that reference...they don't move very fast.

We used to beat teams like Morton with ease. Our squad should be able to but we make it too easy for them. Maybe our squad are good on paper but lack a footballing brain and persist at ball watching rather than trying to create space. Our throw ins certainly suggest that as only 1 player seems to show for it whilst the rest hold hands with their marker...

HappyAsHellas
19-12-2016, 09:20 AM
I personally think that we are creating our own downfall in this league. Have done for years. Very rigid in our play. No creative movement and if this was a fifa game it'd be a choice between Organised and Free Roam or something like that.

Our players constantly staying in shape are making us defensively solid but making us easy to mark. A few zombies out the walking dead would be able to mark our players - in case someone doesn't get that reference...they don't move very fast.

We used to beat teams like Morton with ease. Our squad should be able to but we make it too easy for them. Maybe our squad are good on paper but lack a footballing brain and persist at ball watching rather than trying to create space. Our throw ins certainly suggest that as only 1 player seems to show for it whilst the rest hold hands with their marker...

Not recently though, watching them in the first half they were very disciplined defensively running from left to right and vice versa as a single unit, making it very difficult for anyone to exploit any space. Agree with our throw ins, but that's been the case for years now. It's something we don't practice, or at least I hope we don't practice as we just throw it down the line to their centre halves.

green with envy
19-12-2016, 09:21 AM

We did earlier on this season...When was the last time this happened away at Morton?

snooky
19-12-2016, 10:03 AM
We did earlier on this season...When was the last time this happened away at Morton?

The difference between lower leagues and upper leagues generally is not so much skill but the pace at which it is carried out. Our failings IMO are that we are far too pedestrian at times and definitely not direct enough. Too many crossfield/back passes instead of going for the jugular.

Argylehibby
19-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Clubs have got wise to us. When our keeper had the ball on saturday Morton left certain players free to receive the pass and then pressed them when the pass was made. Those players left free to receive the pass were the ones most likely to hoof it up the park if there was any suggestion of being closed down and they duly did just that.

brog
19-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Clubs have got wise to us. When our keeper had the ball on saturday Morton left certain players free to receive the pass and then pressed them when the pass was made. Those players left free to receive the pass were the ones most likely to hoof it up the park if there was any suggestion of being closed down and they duly did just that.
I said exactly this weeks ago when it was noticeable LF was continually being left free. Every team now knows exactly how we'll be set up & with the absence of SJM we lack the craft to break down a disciplined defence.

Jim44
19-12-2016, 12:27 PM

We used to beat teams like Morton with ease. Our squad should be able to but we make it too easy for them. Maybe our squad are good on paper but lack a footballing brain and persist at ball watching rather than trying to create space. Our throw ins certainly suggest that as only 1 player seems to show for it whilst the rest hold hands with their marker. ..

Nothing new there. It's an established quirk of every Hibs team since the good old Miller era. A throw in given to us is effectively giving the ball back to the opposition.

green with envy
19-12-2016, 12:40 PM
The difference between lower leagues and upper leagues generally is not so much skill but the pace at which it is carried out. Our failings IMO are that we are far too pedestrian at times and definitely not direct enough. Too many crossfield/back passes instead of going for the jugular.

I get that. I'm a regular H&A and have been for many - many years. However i didn't understand where the OP is coming from, after all we lost games last season against Dumbarton, Alloa, Raith and got hammered from Morton at home last season.

madhatter
19-12-2016, 04:41 PM
I get that. I'm a regular H&A and have been for many - many years. However i didn't understand where the OP is coming from, after all we lost games last season against Dumbarton, Alloa, Raith and got hammered from Morton at home last season.

My point wasn't solely about the Morton game. I stated that for years we've been too organised and scared to concede/lose. Just watch Stevenson think about crossing 3-4 times whilst repeatedly allowing his marker to get closer. Think of Bartley regularly looking to pass sideways. We are playing a back 3...surely my point explains itself when...regularly when we defend it becomes a back 5. Back 5 in championship shows something does it not?

ancient hibee
19-12-2016, 04:57 PM
So have I got this right? We're top scorers and least goals lost and top of the league but we're easy to play against? Something adrift with that logic isn't there?

madhatter
19-12-2016, 05:17 PM
So have I got this right? We're top scorers and least goals lost and top of the league but we're easy to play against? Something adrift with that logic isn't there?

Nope. Put Athletico Madrid or some club like that down a division and apply your same logic...we aren't skooshing this league so what is flawed with my logic. 6-8 times the number of ST holders than most clubs in our league but aren't running away with it.

How many games home or away have you watched over the last 3 years where you have thought we are too slow and pedantic and they are going to score against us in the last 10-15mins? I've seen tons, actually Falkirk's tactics seem to be relying on this.

lyonhibs
19-12-2016, 05:18 PM
My point wasn't solely about the Morton game. I stated that for years we've been too organised and scared to concede/lose. Just watch Stevenson think about crossing 3-4 times whilst repeatedly allowing his marker to get closer. Think of Bartley regularly looking to pass sideways. We are playing a back 3...surely my point explains itself when...regularly when we defend it becomes a back 5. Back 5 in championship shows something does it not?

We're "too organised"?!? That's a new pejorative I must say.

There are plenty of things we have an excess of right now on the pitch (sloth, deficient technique etc) but organisation isn't a bad thing.

Would you rather we had Lewis just abandoning ship and tearing about up front or something??