PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray again

hibees 7062
18-12-2016, 09:14 PM
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15542145_1407533525926439_2640175663692851287_n.jp g?oh=a94b65118a432451d00c4552d07f5e38&oe=58B2BAD0

Well done to Andy Murray (https://www.facebook.com/andymurrayofficial/) who has become the first person EVER to win Sports Personality of the Year three times.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-12-2016, 10:01 PM
:thumbsup:

:not worth

heretoday
18-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Huzzah!
Princess Anne, Sir Michael Redgrave, Tim Henman, Henry Cooper, Nigel Farage - you took a Helluva beating tonight!

Itsnoteasy
18-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Huzzah!
Princess Anne, Sir Michael Redgrave, Tim Henman, Henry Cooper, Nigel Farage - you took a Helluva beating tonight!

You forgot Mohammed Farah

Jones28
18-12-2016, 11:24 PM
You forgot Mohammed Farah

So did most of the voters

Hibbyradge
18-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Huzzah!

Jackie Stewart, Chris Hoy ...

jgl07
19-12-2016, 02:42 AM
Huzzah!

Sir Michael Redgrave?

He was a stage actor who was never nominated for SPOTY to my knowledge.

He played a mean Macbeth admittedly.

Halifaxhibby
19-12-2016, 03:00 AM
Yawn!!!!x what about sir david??

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Andy Murray winning it three times should surely tell the organisers that they have to remove "personality" from the title of the award.

G B Young
19-12-2016, 07:26 AM
He won it by a landslide and deservedly so. What a year it's been for Britain's greatest ever sportsman. Well done Sir Andy ☺

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-12-2016, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4882932]Andy Murray winning it three times should surely tell the organisers that they have to remove "personality" from the title of the award.[/QUOTE

Why do you say that? do you know his background and what he has been through in his personal life? does he have to be a barrel of laughs all the time?

Or is it some other reason?

A true champion and a total gentleman.

Jim44
19-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Andy Murray winning it three times should surely tell the organisers that they have to remove "personality" from the title of the award.

Aye right, they should give it to someone like Gordon Strachan, bundle of laughs and a joke a minute.:rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2016, 12:27 PM

To be fair to AM he doesn't appear to be bad at having a laugh at his own expense, especially over his dead pan demeanour, he seems pretty self effacing to me :greengrin

Keith_M
19-12-2016, 12:34 PM

They should have done that after Nick Faldo or Steve Davis won it.

Oscar T Grouch
19-12-2016, 12:35 PM
The amount of hate on Twitter last night towards this guy was shocking, well not shocking as it has all been spouted before. His achievements are exceptional and his legacy will be shown through the higher standard of tennis in the U.K. There are 7 Brits starting the Aussie open singles next year, that is astounding.
The abuse on Twitter last night was quite sinister and the amount of hate towards Scotland too was terrible. i will continue to support Andy like I used to support all British tennis players, the only difference now is that we have a world number one and a multiple grand slam winner and the first ever defended tennis gold at the Olympics.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4882932]Andy Murray winning it three times should surely tell the organisers that they have to remove "personality" from the title of the award.[/QUOTE

Why do you say that? do you know his background and what he has been through in his personal life? does he have to be a barrel of laughs all the time?

Or is it some other reason?

A true champion and a total gentleman.

Why do you think I said it? Background, personal life, what he has been through??? I don't need to know any of that to have an opinion of his personality, he come across as a right dour git :greengrin

But I like him really and admire his fantastic achievements, I was really making the point about the personality bit in the title :wink:

CallumLaidlaw
19-12-2016, 03:24 PM

Or Lewis Hamilton

I really don't get the criticism of Andy Murrays personality. This is all based on the tone of his voice. Murray actually comes across very well when he speaks, clearly enjoys a laugh if you follow him on social media, and is happy to laugh at himself regarding his dour demeanour (See his picture in his Christmas jumper)

The below clip for Comic/sports relief also shows he's a good sport who's game for a laugh.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjB-sirx4DRAhWCrxoKHQ66ANwQ3ywIGzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMZ tU-nRYem0&usg=AFQjCNEpZjjpRONmycHBjXHrZPisxkQiCg&bvm=bv.142059868,d.d2s

As an aside, "personality" has 2 meanings
1. The combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
2. A celebrity or famous person.

So even if he was dull and had no personality. He's still a sports personality :aok::na na:

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 03:29 PM

Steve Davis is a great guy with tons of personality, been in his company several times. If I ever get the chance to be in Andy Murray's company I may well change my opinion :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-12-2016, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883170][QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883056]

Why do you think I said it? Background, personal life, what he has been through??? I don't need to know any of that to have an opinion of his personality, he come across as a right dour git :greengrin

But I like him really and admire his fantastic achievements, I was really making the point about the personality bit in the title :wink:[/QUOTE

So he has to be a Jason Cummings type character you mean or is it anti Scottish bile like all the twitters last night?

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883170][QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883056]

But I like him really and admire his fantastic achievements, I was really making the point about the personality bit in the title :wink:[/QUOTE

So he has to be a Jason Cummings type character you mean or is it anti Scottish bile like all the twitters last night?

Behave yourself!

I was having a light hearted dig, stick your anti Scottish bile. I may have a bit of banter about the Scottish football team but I live in Scotland, my wife is Scottish, my son was born and bred in Scotland, so you're well wide of the mark with that comment. :aok:

IlDiavola
19-12-2016, 04:25 PM

HeHeHe

:thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-12-2016, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883183][QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883170]

Behave yourself!

I was having a light hearted dig, stick your anti Scottish bile. I may have a bit of banter about the Scottish football team but I live in Scotland, my wife is Scottish, my son was born and bred in Scotland, so you're well wide of the mark with that comment. :aok:

A light hearted dig? doesn't look like it from here anyway, I'll email the BBC and ask that any future winners have a clowns outfit on while juggling.

:aok:

Itsnoteasy
19-12-2016, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883183][QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883170]

Behave yourself!

Maybe he should sniff the baseline after serving an ace.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883190][QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883183]

A light hearted dig? doesn't look like it from here anyway, I'll email the BBC and ask that any future winners have a clowns outfit on while juggling.

:aok:

Away and bolt.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883190][QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883183]

Maybe he should sniff the baseline after serving an ace.

Great idea.

beensaidbefore
19-12-2016, 05:34 PM
The amount of hate on Twitter last night towards this guy was shocking, well not shocking as it has all been spouted before. His achievements are exceptional and his legacy will be shown through the higher standard of tennis in the U.K. There are 7 Brits starting the Aussie open singles next year, that is astounding.
The abuse on Twitter last night was quite sinister and the amount of hate towards Scotland too was terrible. i will continue to support Andy like I used to support all British tennis players, the only difference now is that we have a world number one and a multiple grand slam winner and the first ever defended tennis gold at the Olympics.

It really gets under their skin it seems. The most decorated olympian and most decorated spoty are both Scottish. Not bad for a bunch of thick kilt wearing reprobates. Or maybe it hits home how much they overrated their own 'champs'.

HibbyAndy
19-12-2016, 05:51 PM
They absolutely HATE Britains greatest ever sportsman is a Scotsman, That will do me :aok:

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 05:52 PM

Yes agreed it's pathetic, I actually had a couple of my facebook friends questioning his win,calling it a fix and saying it was a disgrace that Brownlee never won it. Scottish or not how anyone can belittle his sporting achievements especially as they are hardly small unknown achievements is beyond me. Far too many folk harp back to his comment about the football and actually have a hatred towards him.

Keith_M
19-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Steve Davis is a great guy with tons of personality, been in his company several times.

Does that mean you carried his bags to the taxi? I hope he checked his valuables afterwards.

If I ever get the chance to be in Andy Murray's company I may well change my opinion :greengrin

I'm sure Andy's got better things to do than hang about with the likes of you.

:na na:

Anyway, what about Nick Faldo? Even his clothes are boring!

beensaidbefore
19-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Yes agreed it's pathetic, I actually had a couple of my facebook friends questioning his win,calling it a fix and saying it was a disgrace that Brownlee never won it. Scottish or not how anyone can belittle his sporting achievements especially as they are hardly small unknown achievements is beyond me. Far too many folk harp back to his comment about the football and actually have a hatred towards him.

The irony is, it is this very attitude which means it's not just the Scots who share Murray view of anyone but england

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Does that mean you carried his bags to the taxi? I hope he checked his valuables afterwards.

I'm sure Andy's got better things to do than hang about with the likes of you.

:na na:

Anyway, what about Nick Faldo? Even his clothes are boring!

No it means I installed the table he played on and attended several events with him present at our table. :-)

Nick Faldo is par for the course.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-12-2016, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883236][QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883190]

Away and bolt.

And you.

You can dish it out SH but you can't take it.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883253][QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883236]

And you.

You can dish it out BH but you can't take it.

I can take it fine pal, what I won't accept is the likes of you coming on here and suggesting a light hearted post has some anti Scottish agenda despite the fact that I have fully explained myself. Okay got it?

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-12-2016, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=HIBERNIAN-0762;4883311][QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;4883253]

I can take it fine pal, what I won't accept is the likes of you coming on here and suggesting a light hearted post has some anti Scottish agenda despite the fact that I have fully explained myself. Okay got it?

Got it? got what?

I've never ever looked at a British champion and had a dig (or banter as you call it) about them not having a "personality" as you put it, never, they are champions at what they do and would never lower myself to make jokes about them, banter or not.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Well played Tam the Bam!

Listening tae Sportsound there. They're wrapping up the show, eulogising about Andy.

Tam pipes up at the end, "you've said it all boys".... "and plus he' a Hibs fan!"

:greengrin

G B Young
19-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Any unwarranted abuse Andy still receives has little to do with his being Scottish. He's simply a victim of being world famous and therefore seen as fair game for those of small minds and even smaller understanding of his quite incredible achievements.

In 2016 alone he has won Wimbledon (again), Olympic gold (again) and chased down a seemingly impossible points gap by winning 24 straight matches and five straight tournaments to usurp Novak Djokovic as world No 1. Throw in the fact he also reached the finals of the Australian and French Opens and came desperately close to helping GB to another Davis Cup final and it's clear why last night's sports personality win was a foregone conclusion.

Twitter trolls can do their worst but the fact Andy won more votes than the second and third placed athletes combined tells you what all right-minded folk think of him. He's a credit to his sport, to Scotland, to Great Britain, to his family and to himself.