PDA

View Full Version : Hoofball/eye bleeding style of play

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Please stop ASAP, brings back horrible memories. Back to ball on ground and quicker passing/decision making! Playing with a bit of width and pace wouldn't go a miss either.

brianmc
18-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Totally agree with the thoughts behind your post BUT it's a pointless exercise posting it here. You'd be better writing it down on a bit of paper and actually posting it (to Mr Lennon at East Mains). I'd imagine he's got plenty of time to read mail as he's clearly not using up any time at all on the training pitches.
Hooooooff!!

Michael
18-12-2016, 08:51 PM
There's no reason not to be trying to play football - the only other team with a half decent squad is United. Hoofball will be what the other teams will be used to playing against each week.

CB_NO3
18-12-2016, 09:01 PM
We are playing hoofball because we are missing our 3 best players who happen to be football players.

banarc7062
19-12-2016, 05:43 AM
Someone has found Butcher's tactics book lying at East Mains.

MacGruber
19-12-2016, 06:19 AM
We are playing hoofball because we are missing our 3 best players who happen to be football players.

We are playing like this because Neil Lennon is a rubbish hibs manager with Butcheresque style.

Morton didn't have McGinn, Fyvie or McGeough either.
They also never had Commons or Shinnie in their midfield.
They managed to play better football than us.

Hibby Bairn
19-12-2016, 07:16 AM

We played hoofball v Ayr at home and DU away. Both lost.

We just give the ball back to the opposition. Awful stuff.

Dalianwanda
19-12-2016, 07:59 AM
We are playing like this because Neil Lennon is a rubbish hibs manager with Butcheresque style.

They are also 11 points behind us. Not sticking up for our style of play but I know which position I'd rather be in.

JimBHibees
19-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Totally down to the players not being available the only real centre mid on the pitch was Bartley and he struggled. Dont have an issue with the occasional longer ball as long as the forwards are getting reasonable service and can hold the ball up neither of that happened.

BoomtownHibees
19-12-2016, 08:28 AM

But we still had Bartley, Commons and Shinnie. 2 of which are meant to be "ball players"

HappyAsHellas
19-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Fyvie is the normal out ball for our defence and he in turn brings McGinn and Shinnie into the game and encourages movement. With him missing we are relying on our centre halves to do this job. Painfully obvious they do not have Fyvies footballing brain, which is not a criticism, it's just the way things are just now. Fontaine made a couple of mistakes trying to play it to feet and then resorted to the "safer" method of lobbing it up the park. I fear a little patience is in order but we are top of the league, something AS never managed in his time here, so it ain't all bad.

lapsedhibee
19-12-2016, 08:36 AM
They are also 11 points behind us. Not sticking up for our style of play but I know which position I'd rather be in.

Shirley by saying that you're happy with the outcome you are in effect sticking up for the style of play, non?

Dalianwanda
19-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Shirley by saying that you're happy with the outcome you are in effect sticking up for the style of play, non?
I don't see it that way. I'm happy with the fact we are top of the league, thats an objective fact not a subjective opinion. I'm not happy with the current style of football or our performance levels. I see them as two completely different things. Hopefully we can change the latter and still rack up points to make it enjoyable and effective.

biotech
19-12-2016, 09:11 AM
It's been noticeable,in the past few weeks, that we tend to play the ball sideways and backwards. Then hoof it up the pitch. Why can't we play a forward pass? Feel this comes down to a lack of confidence. Too often, players take the "safe" option. Lennon needs to sort this out.

GreenNWhiteArmy
19-12-2016, 09:52 AM
27 years i've been on this planet, and in that time i'd say i've saw (over a full season) 5 maybe 6 years of "good attacking football/the hibs way" and 2 of that has been in the Scottish Championship so this logic by a lot of hibs fans that we always play some kind of barcelona style of play is somewhat confusing.

Last season for example, when we were getting beat at home (0-3) to Morton or away to Dumbarton (twice) and Alloa and the likes a lot on here were complaining that we were "not direct enough" or had "too many passes" and the general consensus was that although it was a nice style of play it didnt bring us the results we wanted or got us out the division (twice)

Fast forward to this season and we've already put 3 or 4 goals past a few teams and the St Mirren 2-0 game could have been double digits (how many times we done that in the last 2 years?) and we sit top of the league and currently playing without our 3 most influential players and our top scorer on the bench (quite the BS Lennon get him on the park!!!) and i'm sure if, for example Man Utd lost Carrick/Pogba and Herrera then Jose benched Zlatan that united would struggle.

But this isnt good enough for Hibs fans is it? we probably should be out of sight this season but to suggest their are no mitigating circumstances (red cards which got rescinded/injuries to key players or United somehow managing to sneak away with 4 out of 6 points from our 2 games) is nonsense. we'll build up another gap, only this time i expect it to last and pull away from united

now we need to bring in wingers, but once they've played 5 or 6 games and the fans deem them not good enough and get on their backs then we can go back to "bring back the diamond"

Top of the league with a crucial period of games - 9 points from the next 3 games will see us open up a 5 point gap i reckon

Nicho87
19-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Doesnt wash with me if we are missing our best players the tactics should still be remaining the same, the players who started were all still good enough to make their mark, they didnt. Bartley was horrific at time.

where'stheslope
19-12-2016, 09:57 AM
It's been noticeable,in the past few weeks, that we tend to play the ball sideways and backwards. Then hoof it up the pitch. Why can't we play a forward pass? Feel this comes down to a lack of confidence. Too often, players take the "safe" option. Lennon needs to sort this out.
This is because teams have worked out we have no "B" plan!

When the team is set up the opposition know how we will play and press us in at the back, hence hoof ball!

We make like for like substitutions most of the time, so no change in game plan?

When our better players come back in the team, the opposing team will still press our backs so hoof ball is still played and nullify our midfield!!!!

we are hibs
19-12-2016, 10:00 AM
We've been playing like this since the Morton game in August and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. No one is asking us to play like barca but there's absolutely no need to be going long at every single available opportunity. It's right from kick off its happening too it's not even like its half an hour in and we have ran out of ideas to cut them open. It's kick off, lump up the park or into the corner and the other team has the ball. Pish.

Fergos
19-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Fyvie is the normal out ball for our defence and he in turn brings McGinn and Shinnie into the game and encourages movement. With him missing we are relying on our centre halves to do this job. Painfully obvious they do not have Fyvies footballing brain, which is not a criticism, it's just the way things are just now. Fontaine made a couple of mistakes trying to play it to feet and then resorted to the "safer" method of lobbing it up the park. I fear a little patience is in order but we are top of the league, something AS never managed in his time here, so it ain't all bad.

Agree with the point on Fyvie, he takes the ball and demands movement from the midfield.

Too many times however the middle players are too static when playing out from the back and not willing to come short and move the opponents about to create space which is vital when we see teams sitting deep with every player behind the ball.

We are however still top albeit from a mixed season so far. Long way to go.

GGTTH

GreenCastle
19-12-2016, 10:37 AM
We've been playing like this since the Morton game in August and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. No one is asking us to play like barca but there's absolutely no need to be going long at every single available opportunity. It's right from kick off its happening too it's not even like its half an hour in and we have ran out of ideas to cut them open. It's kick off, lump up the park or into the corner and the other team has the ball. Pish.

This just isn't true.

We have become more direct but I still don't believe it's anywhere near hoofball or Butchers long diagonal tactics.

We have players who play the ball on the ground and even against Dundee Utd we did that for most of the match - we just missed a penalty and were woeful from set pieces.

If you are going to pick holes in the team it's the lack of goals from wide areas and midfield. Plus the number of set pieces we get and our low conversation rate.

Marco G
19-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Well I dont agree and dont think I am lying either! Imo we do have a plan B and that can involve a more direct approach. I dont get the idea that there is a need to make loads of passes getting nowhere if there is another option and it wins games. Morton's pitch is very narrow and we looked to a long ball. That seems fair enough to me.

I dont recognise the rest of the games you are talking about. I think we have tried to play attractive attacking football when we can and changed it when we have had to. We are top of the league and I would rather get out of this league than worry about the fine details of how we do it.

pacoluna
19-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Agree with the point on Fyvie, he takes the ball and demands movement from the midfield.

Too many times however the middle players are too static when playing out from the back and not willing to come short and move the opponents about to create space which is vital when we see teams sitting deep with every player behind the ball.

We are however still top albeit from a mixed season so far. Long way to go.

GGTTH

Fyvie was the one getting stick last season.. some people just like to moan.

Moulin Yarns
19-12-2016, 10:53 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/top-scorers

Simple answer, Jason has to play.

98 mins per goal is the best in the division, followed by...

Brian Graham on 118 mins per goal.

biotech
19-12-2016, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=where'stheslope;4883017]This is because teams have worked out we have no "B" plan!

When the team is set up the opposition know how we will play and press us in at the back, hence hoof ball!

We make like for like substitutions most of the time, so no change in game plan?

When our better players come back in the team, the opposing team will still press our backs so hoof ball is still played and nullify our midfield!!!![/QUOT

Surely,we can learn to deal with being pressed. Especially, late on in the game when the pressing team will invariably flag. If we play with a high tempo results will come. Lennon needs to instil more confidence.

Lago
19-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Please stop ASAP, brings back horrible memories. Back to ball on ground and quicker passing/decision making! Playing with a bit of width and pace wouldn't go a miss either.
Unfortunately players who could do it are injured, players to provided width are Gray & Stevenson & they can't, player to provide pace is Boyle, he can run fast but can't score from the penalty spot or control the ball in free play. Hopefully thngs can only get better.

MacGruber
19-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Sorry but fed up of that rubbish throw away comment
AS never managed to get US top of the league!
Ironically, after 17 games this season we have 35 points, top on goal diff
After 17 games last season we were on 41 points, same as a The Rangers team that were much better thsn DU are thid season.
6 points less in an easier league and you are using the league standing as an argument.
There's a few other differences between them and now, notably the team spirit is gone as is the style of football now replaced by eye bleeding long ball and now ineffective turgid defensive crap.
Bottom line is, and I defy anyone to disagree, we are worse now. We are getting worse. We are going backwards. Don't buy the injuries excuse - it's bad management.

Lago
19-12-2016, 11:08 AM
27 years i've been on this planet, and in that time i'd say i've saw (over a full season) 5 maybe 6 years of "good attacking football/the hibs way" and 2 of that has been in the Scottish Championship so this logic by a lot of hibs fans that we always play some kind of barcelona style of play is somewhat confusing.

Last season for example, when we were getting beat at home (0-3) to Morton or away to Dumbarton (twice) and Alloa and the likes a lot on here were complaining that we were "not direct enough" or had "too many passes" and the general consensus was that although it was a nice style of play it didnt bring us the results we wanted or got us out the division (twice)

Fast forward to this season and we've already put 3 or 4 goals past a few teams and the St Mirren 2-0 game could have been double digits (how many times we done that in the last 2 years?) and we sit top of the league and currently playing without our 3 most influential players and our top scorer on the bench (quite the BS Lennon get him on the park!!!) and i'm sure if, for example Man Utd lost Carrick/Pogba and Herrera then Jose benched Zlatan that united would struggle.

But this isnt good enough for Hibs fans is it? we probably should be out of sight this season but to suggest their are no mitigating circumstances (red cards which got rescinded/injuries to key players or United somehow managing to sneak away with 4 out of 6 points from our 2 games) is nonsense. we'll build up another gap, only this time i expect it to last and pull away from united

now we need to bring in wingers, but once they've played 5 or 6 games and the fans deem them not good enough and get on their backs then we can go back to "bring back the diamond"

Top of the league with a crucial period of games - 9 points from the next 3 games will see us open up a 5 point gap i reckon

Correct on all counts, some folks have selective momories.

HappyAsHellas
19-12-2016, 11:39 AM
After 17 games last season we were on 41 points, same as a The Rangers team that were much better thsn DU are thid season.
6 points less in an easier league and you are using the league standing as an argument.
There's a few other differences between them and now, notably the team spirit is gone as is the style of football now replaced by eye bleeding long ball and now ineffective turgid defensive crap.
Bottom line is, and I defy anyone to disagree, we are worse now. We are getting worse. We are going backwards. Don't buy the injuries excuse - it's bad management.

It's not a throw away comment when it happens to be true. This season we've had our bad spell and can't afford another. How did the stats rack up for the second half of last season? We should have won the league but only manged to shoot ourselves in the foot and finish a very poor third and get beat in the play offs. As for team spirit being gone, how do you know? If you don't think the injuries have had a detrimental effect on the team then perhaps you can explain where we've gone wrong. I agree the style of play at present is not easy on the eye, but I fully expect this to change once we have a fully fit squad to choose from.

WeeRussell
19-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Totally down to the players not being available the only real centre mid on the pitch was Bartley and he struggled. Dont have an issue with the occasional longer ball as long as the forwards are getting reasonable service and can hold the ball up neither of that happened.

Disagree. I don't think we've been good to watch all season (even with Fyvie and McGinn who I regard as two of our best). And the long balls aren't occasional.

May be enough to get us up (I still think we'll win the league) but it's not pretty to watch, at the best of times.

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Its a bit OTT saying we are playing hoofball or 'eye bleeding' football because its simply not true.

I would agree that we resort to the long ball more than was usual under Stubbs, but by and large we do try to keep it on the deck. The recent Dumbarton game was a case in point as to why the football isn't exactly edge of the seat stuff to watch. Like most games at ER Hibs are forced to move the ball from one side of the pitch to the other in an effort to find space in the final third where 10 men are waiting to close every gap, that naturally makes for a slow game with no gaps to exploit for a killer through ball.

Perhaps our only real flaw is that we need to do this quicker, by the time the ball has gone from Hanlon to Shinnie to McGinn and then out to Stevenson or Gray any gaps on the flanks have been closed off or the defending team has had a chance to put 4 defenders into the 6 yard box.

In the Morton game we were short in midfield and I did notice that we humped it long a lot, that would have been OK if they had all been to Graham, but most of them went in the direction of Boyle who is never going to beat a centre half in the air. The one thing that did please me, especially in the 2nd half was Commons ability to hit an accurate 30 or 40 yard diagonal ball out to the wing, he got Stevenson into good positions a few times and if he can do that at ER it might save us having to make 4 passes in midfield before getting the ball out to Stevenson or Gray.

Swedish hibee
19-12-2016, 11:56 AM
6 points less in an easier league

Wow..

scoopyboy
19-12-2016, 12:03 PM

We will get better though, when the injured players return and the January signings come in.

Agree with your point regarding points earned so far this season compared to last but we have to get more points this season than last season from mid February on. Last season we were poor from that point on.

I am confident we will match last seasons total if not better it, I just hope it's enough.

WeeRussell
19-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Disagree. I don't think we've been good to watch all season (even with Fyvie and McGinn who I regard as two of our best). And the long balls aren't occasional.

May be enough to get us up (I still think we'll win the league) but it's not pretty to watch, at the best of times.

Lago
19-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Its a bit OTT saying we are playing hoofball or 'eye bleeding' football because its simply not true.

I would agree that we resort to the long ball more than was usual under Stubbs, but by and large we do try to keep it on the deck. The recent Dumbarton game was a case in point as to why the football isn't exactly edge of the seat stuff to watch. Like most games at ER Hibs are forced to move the ball from one side of the pitch to the other in an effort to find space in the final third where 10 men are waiting to close every gap, that naturally makes for a slow game with no gaps to exploit for a killer through ball.

Perhaps our only real flaw is that we need to do this quicker, by the time the ball has gone from Hanlon to Shinnie to McGinn and then out to Stevenson or Gray any gaps on the flanks have been closed off or the defending team has had a chance to put 4 defenders into the 6 yard box.

In the Morton game we were short in midfield and I did notice that we humped it long a lot, that would have been OK if they had all been to Graham, but most of them went in the direction of Boyle who is never going to beat a centre half in the air. The one thing that did please me, especially in the 2nd half was Commons ability to hit an accurate 30 or 40 yard diagonal ball out to the wing, he got Stevenson into good positions a few times and if he can do that at ER it might save us having to make 4 passes in midfield before getting the ball out to Stevenson or Gray.
Like your post, agree re Commons cross field passes later in the game.

green with envy
19-12-2016, 01:44 PM
We played hoofball v Ayr at home and DU away. Both lost.

We just give the ball back to the opposition. Awful stuff.

TBH, I don't recall playing hoofball against Ayr at home also when we hammered Morton and QOS and Ayr away. Even when we went down to 10 men against Raith Rovers away, Hibs played neat passing football that day and were easily the better team and again this without playing hoofball.

JimBHibees
19-12-2016, 01:55 PM

Who said we have been good to watch however the fact 3 of our better midfielders arent available would affect any team. Lets see how the next few games go. Not the time for panic.

JimBHibees
19-12-2016, 01:55 PM
TBH, I don't recall playing hoofball against Ayr at home also when we hammered Morton and QOS and Ayr away. Even when we went down to 10 men against Raith Rovers away, Hibs played neat passing football that day and were easily the better team and again this without playing hoofball.

Thats because it didnt happen in the Ayr game. The football hasnt been as passing as under Stubbsy and can be more direct which I thought many were arguing for last season as Plan B however is nowhere near hoofball..

Iggy Pope
19-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Some thread.
No ones eyes ever bled from watching football. Currently the most over used and irritating of .net cliche.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2016, 03:17 PM
To say we haven't played good football this season is laughable. The only reason we kick it long sometimes is because Fyvie and McGeouch are the only ones to take the ball off the back 4/5. None of it matters, anyway. Promotion is the only thing that is important, if we kick it long and win 1-0 from now until May I'll be ****ing delighted.

Super_JMcGinn
19-12-2016, 04:03 PM
To say we haven't played good football this season is laughable. The only reason we kick it long sometimes is because Fyvie and McGeouch are the only ones to take the ball off the back 4/5. None of it matters, anyway. Promotion is the only thing that is important, if we kick it long and win 1-0 from now until May I'll be ****ing delighted.

I don't think there are many people laughing, nor singing for that matter.

If we ultimately win the league I agree with you but I think it's in serious doubt given our injury plight and the dire way he has us playing and set up.

Marco G
19-12-2016, 04:09 PM
I don't think there are many people laughing, nor singing for that matter.

If we ultimately win the league I agree with you but I think it's in serious doubt given our injury plight and the dire way he has us playing and set up.
I am laughing and singing. I enjoy the football we are playing this season. I have watched Hibs for many many years and if you think this is dire then I have to disagree strongly.

beensaidbefore
19-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Fyvie was the one getting stick last season.. some people just like to moan.

Be careful, you get in bother for highlighting that people on here's opinion of players change like the wind.

WeeRussell
19-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Who said we have been good to watch however the fact 3 of our better midfielders arent available would affect any team. Lets see how the next few games go. Not the time for panic.

Not panicking, as I said, I still remain confident of winning the league. Largely because the league is poor however, not because we have improved.

beensaidbefore
19-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Some thread.
No ones eyes ever bled from watching football. Currently the most over used and irritating of .net cliche.

I hope you're not suggesting that folk on here overreact? 😂

Despite the fact that last season we passed the ball about for fun and are still here, people can't seem to see past this hibs = glorious passing team. I would be interested if those demanding a great passing team could highlight teams which fall into that category in the last 25 years.

Mowbrays team and a little but under stubbs. When other than that? Yogi, mixu, Calderwood, Fenlon? Don't remember that myself? Can't remember Lee power and Paul tosh being like iniesta under Duffy, and blobbys teams were no great passing side so I'm not sure where this comes from tbh.

weecounty hibby
19-12-2016, 04:39 PM
It is total rubbish to suggest thats Hibs always play fantastic, free flowing football no matter what. I have had to endure the Bertie Auld days, the Alex Miller days and the Bobby Williamson days. Throw in a smattering of Duff Jimmy, a touch of Pat Fenlon and a wee bit of Terry Butcher and I think you will see that free flowing football has not been high on the agenda of many Hibs managers. To be honest if we play crap football all season and finish up as champions I'll be delighted. After we get out of this league we can then think about playoing football in the "Hibs way"

Smartie
19-12-2016, 04:48 PM
If you try to play good football and manage to win along the way you'll be revered.

If you play hoofball but get results you'll get away with it.

If you try to play good football but don't get results you'll get the benefit of the doubt for a while but ultimately you'll struggle.

If you play hoofball and don't get results then you're on a hiding to nothing.

Winning is most important but it is only part of the story.

FWIW I'd settle for whatever it takes to get out of this league.

And whilst it may not have been too pretty so far, let's not get too carried away bigging up this United side. They are not the 1970 Brazil team, not by a long shot.

We HAVE played some good stuff at times this season - home wins vs St Mirren, Morton and QotS were all good performances, and I think we've done well at Falkirk, Ayr and 2nd half at Dunfermline.

we are hibs
19-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Well I dont agree and dont think I am lying either! Imo we do have a plan B and that can involve a more direct approach. I dont get the idea that there is a need to make loads of passes getting nowhere if there is another option and it wins games. Morton's pitch is very narrow and we looked to a long ball. That seems fair enough to me.

I dont recognise the rest of the games you are talking about. I think we have tried to play attractive attacking football when we can and changed it when we have had to. We are top of the league and I would rather get out of this league than worry about the fine details of how we do it.

We haven't played attractive football at all. Making loads of passes doesn't mean you do win games either. You can win games and play good football.

Tom Hart RIP
19-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Every game at ER this season has been far more entertaining than the first half of Everton v Liverpool. Not one single chance created and Everton are not adverse to humping the ball forward.

The Leith Dutch
19-12-2016, 10:00 PM

Yep - not happy about Saturday night but the players we have out are crucial to any chance of playing it through the middle.
Shinnie is an out ball further up the field and Commons has just arrived.

Won't defend that style of play if it continues to happen when our players are all fit but right now if we match Dundee Utd points wise I'll take it.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Every game at ER this season has been far more entertaining than the first half of Everton v Liverpool. Not one single chance created and Everton are not adverse to humping the ball forward.

You clearly missed the last home game if you think the first half was better than the Lpool v Everton game

IberianHibernian
19-12-2016, 10:54 PM
I`m old enough to remember our last 3 relegations . In 1981 we were promoted with quality players like Ralph Callachan and Jackie McNamara ( who had also " helped " us be relegated ) in the team . In 1999 we had Sauzee and Latapy . 2 years ago there was the excitement of playing Hearts and The Rangers and the quality of Scott Allan , Dom Malonga and McGeoch when he signed . Last season , more games with The Rangers , exciting matches against Prem teams and quality of SJM , Dylan , Stokes and a few others . This season we`ve got the pressure of being expected to win the league despite being well off doing it with better squads in the last 2 seasons while fans don`t have Derbies and The Rangers matches to look forward to and with less quality in the squad . For some reason many wrote Dundee United off even though they played well in some of their games at the end of last seaso against stronger opposition and have a manager who did well with Raith . We were a pretty poor team in the first 5 league games which we won but I thought then that strengthening in winter would be needed to clinch promotion and I still think the same . As for hoofball etc I don`t think we`ve got the players to play great football but may have when / if Dylan , SJM and Keatings are fit ( I`d add Harris to that list cause he can be an entertaining player but not many here seem to agree ) and a couple of new arrivals could certainly help .

Borderhibbie76
20-12-2016, 08:44 AM
I am as angry as anyone mate but that is a simple lie. We have played some very good stuff at times, Ayr away, QOS at home, St mirren at home are 3 that spring to mind straight away. It's no coincidence since Mcginn and fyvie got injured our style of play has deteriorated but let's not exaggerate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tom Hart RIP
20-12-2016, 10:36 AM
If all we do is punt the call up the park then how come every week there is a thread about the standard of crossing from Lewis and Sir David.
We have played some decent stuff this season. NL said after the QotS game that it was the best performance from any team he had managed.
Aye away, St Mirren home and a few others spring to mind.

Lago
20-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I am as angry as anyone mate but that is a simple lie. We have played some very good stuff at times, Ayr away, QOS at home, St mirren at home are 3 that spring to mind straight away. It's no coincidence since Mcginn and fyvie got injured our style of play has deteriorated but let's not exaggerate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Spot on

Lago
20-12-2016, 11:06 AM
If all we do is punt the call up the park then how come every week there is a thread about the standard of crossing from Lewis and Sir David.
We have played some decent stuff this season. NL said after the QotS game that it was the best performance from any team he had managed.
Excellent point re Gray & Stevenson.

happiehibbie
20-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Excellent point re Gray & Stevenson.

believe me its hoof ball we are playing but when the ball does drop to these players the quality of the ball coming in is poor. Lewis is a defender and great at it unfortunately his weakness is driving forward and his crosses just watch when he gets the ball 9 times out of 10 he cuts back on himself

Marco G
20-12-2016, 11:59 AM
believe me its hoof ball we are playing but when the ball does drop to these players the quality of the ball coming in is poor. Lewis is a defender and great at it unfortunately his weakness is driving forward and his crosses just watch when he gets the ball 9 times out of 10 he cuts back on himself
Sorry, I dont believe you. I am watching Hibs every week like you and seeing something very different!

happiehibbie
20-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Sorry, I dont believe you. I am watching Hibs every week like you and seeing something very different!

all about opinions :)

Marco G
20-12-2016, 01:42 PM
all about opinions :)
100% and thats why we all enjoy the banter on the site and in the pub.

southsider
20-12-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't know why Lewis isn't out at East Mains for a couple of hours a day practising his crossing. If the ball does not hit the first man then it is wildly overhit.

Big L
21-12-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm actually beginning to wonder if NL has got a clue. We are missing McGinn and Fyvie and he brings in Commons, completely different type of player and obviously not match fit. He's here for 4 weeks, he will just b getting match fit when he has to go back. The camera panned on him at 12 min's and he was blowing out his arse, which is no more than can be expected. He was non existant in the 1st half, 2nd half dropped back and started hitting long balls, we've got enough players hitting long balls. He should add John Doolan to the coaching staff, maybe see some decent football.

Unseen work
21-12-2016, 12:30 AM
I don't know why Lewis isn't out at East Mains for a couple of hours a day practising his crossing. If the ball does not hit the first man then it is wildly overhit.

Iv said it before and il say it again.

For me it's the timings of his crosses, he seems to take forever to actually cross it. Instead of first time or one touch and cross he waits until every player is back in there position ready to defend it.

That's why, imo we rarely score from crosses.

A quicker tempo and quicker delivery from out wide would mean the opposition defence are unsettled, on the back foot and there is space for out strikers to exploit.

It's very hard to cross a ball to one of two men in a box when there is 5 players defending it.

Tom Hart RIP
21-12-2016, 05:22 AM
You clearly missed the last home game if you think the first half was better than the Lpool v Everton game

Changing the subject for a minute Scouse, there seemed to be some I'll feeling between the fans and at one stage you could hear Everton fans singing 'always the victim it's never your fault' then Liverpool fans responding with U Manc B##s.
I always believed the hype about the friendly derby with fans mingling. Has things changed down there? Genuinely interested as I was shocked to hear that song on Merseyside????

Hibby Bairn
21-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Iv said it before and il say it again.

For me it's the timings of his crosses, he seems to take forever to actually cross it. Instead of first time or one touch and cross he waits until every player is back in there position ready to defend it.

That's why, imo we rarely score from crosses.

A quicker tempo and quicker delivery from out wide would mean the opposition defence are unsettled, on the back foot and there is space for out strikers to exploit.

It's very hard to cross a ball to one of two men in a box when there is 5 players defending it.

Spot on. Reference Liverpool 70s in particular. Trained to hit first time crosses as part of sweeping attacks.