PDA

View Full Version : Champions on Goal Difference? Would you take it?

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2016, 07:28 PM
As it stands, despite some poor performances and failing to put distance between ourselves and Dundee United, we are sitting top of the league by virtue of the fact that we have a superior goal difference.
Should things remain the same come the seasons end then we will go up as Champions and United will be resigned to the lottery of the play offs.

Are we on target to achieve promotion on goal difference? Yes

Would I be satisfied to see us clinch promotion on goal difference? Yes

Would you be satisfied to see us clinch promotion on goal difference?........over to you

erin go bragh
17-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Winning promotion is the priority.Goal difference or points . Couldn't give a flying duck .

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Take it? I'd pay for it.

HoboHarry
17-12-2016, 07:33 PM
As it stands, despite some poor performances and failing to put distance between ourselves and Dundee United, we are sitting top of the league by virtue of the fact that we have a superior goal difference.
Should things remain the same come the seasons end then we will go up as Champions and United will be resigned to the lottery of the play offs.

Would you be satisfied to see us clinch promotion on goal difference?........over to you

Are you just creating threads to pass the time? :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
17-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Is the bear a Catholic?

Pete
17-12-2016, 07:35 PM
No. I'd insist on a one-off match to decide who gets promoted.

HoboHarry
17-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Yes and we should play with only eight players.

emerald green
17-12-2016, 07:37 PM

How about tossing a coin? :greengrin

jacomo
17-12-2016, 07:38 PM

:agree:

And if Falkirk were our opponents, I'd let Houston pick any 5 of our players to miss out. Just to even out resources and that.

danger1875
17-12-2016, 07:40 PM

it's all that matters

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 07:40 PM

Craig Thomson refereeing, Dave King making a guest appearance as a recently Qualified Assistant on the standside and Ally McCoist on the other side just to ensure balance?

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 07:42 PM
How about tossing a coin? :greengrin

Depends who the tosser is, we've had a few in key games down the years.

houstonhibbee

I would say No based on recent performances.......

Hi Heid Yin
Are you just creating threads to pass the time? :rolleyes:

lol. I actually found this funny
but seriously, no, I'm simply reacting to some OTT posts calling for Lennon's head and a manager that is being judged and dismissed whilst we sit top of the league. Lennon will be deemed a success (albeit grudgingly by some) should the "promotion-on-goal-difference" scenario play-out.

DH1875
17-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Winning promotion is the priority.Goal difference or points . Couldn't give a flying duck .

:agree::agree::agree:

emerald green
17-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Depends who the tosser is, we've had a few in key games down the years.

:agree:

Pretty Boy
17-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Obviously everyone would accept that.

It doesn't detract from discussing the very obvious failings our team has though, which could of course result in the above scenario being but a pipe dream.

Pete
17-12-2016, 07:46 PM
I don't know why some people think my comment was made in jest.

Being pipped to a title by goal difference on the final day of a season is no laughing matter.

HoboHarry
17-12-2016, 07:47 PM
but seriously, no, I'm simply reacting to some OTT posts calling for Lennon's head and a manager that is being judged and dismissed whilst we sit top of the league. Lennon will be deemed a success (albeit grudgingly by some) should the "promotion-on-goal-difference" scenario play-out.
Fair enough, guess I read it differently......:aok:

wookie70
17-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Are we on target to achieve promotion on goal difference? Not on current form we will finish second on points. Given the last 10 games or so
Would I be satisfied to see us clinch promotion on goal difference? Relieved, if we do it by playing the same style of football with the same quality of signings I would look for another manager.

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Fair enough, guess I read it differently......:aok:

:aok: No sweat

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Are we on target to achieve promotion on goal difference? Not on current form we will finish second on points. Given the last 10 games or so
Would I be satisfied to see us clinch promotion on goal difference? Relieved, if we do it by playing the same style of football with the same quality of signings I would look for another manager.

Current form is no indicator of how things might pan out.
We sit top of the league on goal difference, and that is the point I was making. Should things remain equal between ourselves and United between now and the seasons end, then we will be Champions and they will end up in the play offs.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 07:54 PM

Being pipped to a title by goal difference on the final day of a season is no laughing matter.

:confused: Have you got any evidence of this? and if so how it may have impacted on the fans concerned?

BoomtownHibees
17-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Na, would prefer another couple of trips to Greenock, Dumbarton and other ***** like that

One Day
17-12-2016, 07:55 PM
I'll take winning the title any way possible

BT58
17-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Lets just beat United at home. Create a gap and put all the pressure on them. Hopefully the injured players will be back soon and NL's targets will come onboard quickly. Commons looks like a cracking signing, for a guy not to play a full competitive game for such a long time, i thought he was very unlucky at times tonite

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Lets just beat United at home. Create a gap and put all the pressure on them. Hopefully the injured players will be back soon and NL's targets will come onboard quickly. Commons looks like a cracking signing, for a guy not to play a full competitive game for such a long time, i thought he was very unlucky at times tonite

:top marks

Pete
17-12-2016, 08:05 PM
:confused: Have you got any evidence of this? and if so how it may have impacted on the fans concerned?

I can't think of any but I'd imagine it would make you quite bitter.

Goal average...now there's a way to ensure that the correct team are champions.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Current form is no indicator of how things might pan out.
We sit top of the league on goal difference, and that is the point I was making. Should things remain equal between ourselves and United between now and the seasons end, then we will be Champions and they will end up in the play offs.

So are you suggesting that the form we have been in since the start of the season is a better indicator. Those first five games around 5 months which are holding us at the top are a better indicator. You said you thought we were on target , that is different from all things remaining equal. I view how we are doing now as a decent barometer of how we will do in the next month or two. Its football though and a few of those humps up the park could turn into goals and the injured players can hopefully come back in and make a difference. We are in a very good position to win the league but I am very worried we will find ourselves a good few points behind very quickly unless we start finding a shape and tactics that suit our managers and players. We look a million miles away from that currently.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 08:12 PM
I can't think of any but I'd imagine it would make you quite bitter.

Goal average...now there's a way to ensure that the correct team are champions.

That's what I thought and thanks for confirming it, I didn't think there was any chance of losing anything major in this way, especially when you have been poncing around in a winners tee shirt the week before the formality of picking up the trophy - seemingly there was a decent discount on doubles winners shirts if you happen to have the cup final shortly after.:thumbsup:

jacomo
17-12-2016, 08:17 PM

I assumed you must be joking, because the alternative is mental.

Diclonius
17-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Of course I'd take it. I'd expect us to be in a relegation battle the following season though.

Speedy
17-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Yes

hibbysam
17-12-2016, 08:43 PM
So are you suggesting that the form we have been in since the start of the season is a better indicator. Those first five games around 5 months which are holding us at the top are a better indicator. You said you thought we were on target , that is different from all things remaining equal. I view how we are doing now as a decent barometer of how we will do in the next month or two. Its football though and a few of those humps up the park could turn into goals and the injured players can hopefully come back in and make a difference. We are in a very good position to win the league but I am very worried we will find ourselves a good few points behind very quickly unless we start finding a shape and tactics that suit our managers and players. We look a million miles away from that currently.

So instead of using games from 5 months ago, you want to go back 10 games to around 3 months ago? Strange. Or we could use this week; or the last 2 weeks, and we would be on track...

wookie70
17-12-2016, 09:15 PM
So instead of using games from 5 months ago, you want to go back 10 games to around 3 months ago? Strange. Or we could use this week; or the last 2 weeks, and we would be on track...

You are making more sense than me tonight. You are quite right again in terms of the 1 and 2 weeks and perhaps going back 10 games was too far but I chose a quarter of a season as it means you play all the teams in the league and then noticed we played Utd the game before and added that in. Even with Utd having a shaky few weeks we are not making the most of it. We are maintaining our league lead but I'm not overly confident that will continue. The game against Utd is huge, as was the last one. It is way too close at present to feel comfortable and it worries me as I think Utd look like they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. It didn't feel like that was possible when they were 8 points behind not that long ago.

Eyrie
17-12-2016, 09:23 PM
In answer to the OP, yes I'd take it.

Now a question for the OP - would s/he take the current performances for the rest of the season? Because if the answer is yes, we'll be several points behind Dundee United.

hibbysam
17-12-2016, 09:26 PM
You are making more sense than me tonight. You are quite right again in terms of the 1 and 2 weeks and perhaps going back 10 games was too far but I chose a quarter of a season as it means you play all the teams in the league and then noticed we played Utd the game before and added that in. Even with Utd having a shaky few weeks we are not making the most of it. We are maintaining our league lead but I'm not overly confident that will continue. The game against Utd is huge, as was the last one. It is way too close at present to feel comfortable and it worries me as I think Utd look like they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. It didn't feel like that was possible when they were 8 points behind not that long ago.

Agreed, and I keep harking back to it but the upcoming game against united has the feel of the game vs Rangers last Xmas. Rangers were well clear, we pulled it back level but unfortunately had to go to Ibrox where we lost and they pulled away. I've a feeling that the same will happen this season, united well behind early, claw it back but come unstuck at Easter road. By which time we will have played united 3 times and Falkirk 3 times and looking at our fixtures, they're actually pretty kind to us after January. I certainly hope we strengthen and I certainly hope we start our best centre forward in every game, but I know I'm well in the glass half full section of the support.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Agreed, and I keep harking back to it but the upcoming game against united has the feel of the game vs Rangers last Xmas. Rangers were well clear, we pulled it back level but unfortunately had to go to Ibrox where we lost and they pulled away. I've a feeling that the same will happen this season, united well behind early, claw it back but come unstuck at Easter road. By which time we will have played united 3 times and Falkirk 3 times and looking at our fixtures, they're actually pretty kind to us after January. I certainly hope we strengthen and I certainly hope we start our best centre forward in every game, but I know I'm well in the glass half full section of the support.

I'm in the neither half full or half empty. It feels like I need another drink to dull the pain of another very poor performance but then again we are top of the league with a January signing opportunity around the corner. It could be worse but it could be so much better.

Hi Heid Yin
18-12-2016, 12:04 AM
In answer to the OP, yes I'd take it.

Now a question for the OP - would s/he take the current performances for the rest of the season? Because if the answer is yes, we'll be several points behind Dundee United.

I would, of course, feel far more satisfied seeing our boys clinch the championship more comfortably whilst playing stylish footie, but if I was to suffer nothing but poor performances between now and the seasons end that resulted in securing automatic promotion then, yes, I would take it.

This said: current (poor) performances are just that, current performances, that will be equationed along with the good performances and the mediocre performances come the season's end. At present the combination of the aforementioned performances has taken us to the top of the league.

18-12-2016, 12:35 AM
Would much rather we win the league by a country mile but would accept promotion by a single goal if need be.

Phil MaGlass
18-12-2016, 07:41 AM
FWIW and its not much, I would take winning the league on goal difference,but, I dont see that happening, I see Utd winning the league and us being in the playoffs.The last few weeks (barring the 4-0), I have seen nothing that indicates we will win the league, lennon does not fill me with hope anymore, I thought he would be the man to take us up, but I cant see it at the moment, hopefully I will be wrong.

Since90+2
18-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Nah. If we were top at the end of the season by goal difference we should insist on a one off match against Dundee Utd to decide it in the interest of sporting fairness.

Or maybe not.

18-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Of course I would take it, what a silly question. Couldn't care less if we win it by 10 points or by goal difference as long as we win it.

Vini1875
18-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Yes. Champions by any route

Eyrie
18-12-2016, 10:58 AM
I would, of course, feel far more satisfied seeing our boys clinch the championship more comfortably whilst playing stylish footie, but if I was to suffer nothing but poor performances between now and the seasons end that resulted in securing automatic promotion then, yes, I would take it.

This said: current (poor) performances are just that, current performances, that will be equationed along with the good performances and the mediocre performances come the season's end. At present the combination of the aforementioned performances has taken us to the top of the league.

We're only top of the league on goal difference because of Dundee United's slow start to the season and we'll only stay ahead of them if our performances improve and they stumble. Both are possible, but I wouldn't want to gamble our automatic promotion prospects on them both happening.

Current performances (eg Morton yesterday) are a better guide to our immediate future than older performances (eg Brondby away).

lapsedhibee
18-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Nah. If we were top at the end of the season by goal difference we should insist on a one off match against Dundee Utd to decide it in the interest of sporting fairness.

It would be a moneyspinner Robbie but a waste of a match. Goal difference being manifestly unfair the champs should be decided (as in a proper league like La Liga) by head-to-head results during the season. And if still a tie, corners in the head to heads. And if still a tie throw-ins.

mutley
18-12-2016, 11:43 AM
I'll take winning the title any way possible

I'll second that, I just don't fancy having to suffer the play offs again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onion
18-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Yes, but Hibs cannot afford to allow it to go that close. It will cost the club £millions if they stay in this league another year and more still to buy our way out of it in future seasons. Can also expect Cummings, McGinn, Hanlon and few others to leave.

Fully expect Hibs to bankroll Lennon and the club in January to guarantee our promotion, as whatever they spend will be a hell of a lot less than the alternative.

3pm
18-12-2016, 11:56 AM
I'd take it because I have no faith we'd go up via the play offs.

Famous Fiver
18-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Yes, every day of the week.

Premier League will take care of itself. Just get there.

Ronniekirk
19-12-2016, 06:08 PM
On Friday nights performance i would take winning the Leauge by goal difference
But i dont think it will come to that Leeann is unshakable in her determination we will go up I expect she wont be happy with how things are panning out and i fully expect signings to be made hat improve the team and help us to put some daylight between us and united
She knows we need to go up and lik Henderson zi expect her and the Board to deiver
Its then down to Lennon to get a system we can play and to get players up for games like Morton away Our fate is in his hands

Andy74
19-12-2016, 06:27 PM
FWIW and its not much, I would take winning the league on goal difference,but, I dont see that happening, I see Utd winning the league and us being in the playoffs.The last few weeks (barring the 4-0), I have seen nothing that indicates we will win the league, lennon does not fill me with hope anymore, I thought he would be the man to take us up, but I cant see it at the moment, hopefully I will be wrong.

If you think we are poor what exactly do you see in Dundee Utd?!

Keith_M
19-12-2016, 06:45 PM
I'd be over the moon.

We really need to get promoted this season.

where'stheslope
19-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Yes, but Hibs cannot afford to allow it to go that close. It will cost the club £millions if they stay in this league another year and more still to buy our way out of it in future seasons. Can also expect Cummings, McGinn, Hanlon and few others to leave.

Fully expect Hibs to bankroll Lennon and the club in January to guarantee our promotion, as whatever they spend will be a hell of a lot less than the alternative.

Is the Barcelona team up for transfer?

That would be a near guarantee of promotion, but the other side of the coin is if we spend our money and don't win promotion we could be looking at decades down here in the Championship!!!

One solution could be to go down the Uglies route, to buy Dundee United players to weaken the challengers???

Its worked for them for years???

shetlandhibee
19-12-2016, 07:09 PM
If you think we are poor what exactly do you see in Dundee Utd?!well said, we played poorly against utd(and morton)it was our first game without mginn(POTM for november)and fyvie(whoes been just as good imo) if we,d scored penalty?and won the game(or drawn) there would be none of this threads, i think we,ll strengthen better than utd in jan(already looks like we are doing that ie commons)get mginn fyvie (dylan) back as well and finish the season stronger than we started it.. clear bye 5 to 10 points and champions:thumbsup:

pacoluna
19-12-2016, 07:51 PM
I get the impression that regardless of promotion, winning games or any kind of success, some people will just not take to Nl. I would go as far as saying some posters would rather us fail just to see him packing his bags.

northstandhibby
19-12-2016, 08:13 PM
If we win the league on Goal Difference then Lenny has been a success. Getting back to the top league is everything this season. Would love to win it by a clear ten points plus but if it goes down to the wire and we win it by GD it would be brilliant. Every game is a cup final for us and we need every supporter to keep turning up to ER and away when they can to cheer us on.

Glory Glory

brianmc
19-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Win the league on goal difference?

Yes, I'd take that.

Would I be proud of the boys and celebrate long into the night?

Eh, no. I'd quietly toddle home from the last game wondering who we'll be in a relegation battle with next year.

lyonhibs
20-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Win the league on goal difference?

Yes, I'd take that.

Would I be proud of the boys and celebrate long into the night?

Eh, no. I'd quietly toddle home from the last game wondering who we'll be in a relegation battle with next year.

:singing: Always look on the briiiight side of life :singing: :greengrin

I'd take promotion via a succession of last minute undeserved goals off the arse scrambles to squeeze through the playoffs if that's what it takes. Just get us out of this fetid little league.

MB62
20-12-2016, 02:15 PM

Oh, I don't know. I p155ed myself laughing at that away back in 1986 :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
20-12-2016, 03:10 PM
I'd give my right baw (in fact either of them) for it right now.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2016, 04:10 PM
I'd refuse it and wouldn't acknowledge it's existence.

Eyrie
20-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Oh, I don't know. I p155ed myself laughing at that away back in 1986 :greengrin

I think you should explain what happened in 1986 for the benefit of our younger members.