PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cummings - are goals enough? - views

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I appreciate there's a lot to be said for all the other stuff that creates some nice looking stats but cometh the hour cometh the man, zero time to go and his contributions in every other respect are so minute there's no point measuring them and he puts it in the net.

Jason Cummings, Hammer of the Hertz and they let him go for nothing.

Unseen work
17-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Cummings be injured for a season and he would still contribute more than Brian graham and grant holt

where'stheslope
17-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Well done JC!

Scores a great goal then should have been booked for bouncing the ball in front of the ref???

If he gets to play he must keep the heid!!!

Leith Hibee
17-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Goals DO win games.

Stubborn managers and players who run all day without any end product DONT!

MacGruber
17-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Cummings in Lennon out

crash
17-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Cummings in Lennon out

This.

Carheenlea
17-12-2016, 06:27 PM
There is obviously a problem between Neil Lennon and Jason Cummings. Dropping the guy after bringing him back last week was baffling. Despite that mental torment, the lad pitches in with the goal to save us from complete embarrassment. This needs to be sorted out pronto whatever it may be - over to you George Craig.

Ozyhibby
Even if you wanted more than goals out of Jason, it's not as if Boyle is providing it either. He is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
Cummings in Lennon out

Spot on.

SRHibs
17-12-2016, 06:29 PM
He does more than just score goals.

MacGruber
17-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Yes. But he offers more than goals anyway.

High-On-Hibs
17-12-2016, 06:30 PM
He offers nothing but goals. The rest offer nothing.

I'd be playing him week in week out atm.

Earlydelivery
17-12-2016, 06:32 PM
It's all about opinions guys ,but I'd play him every week .

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2016, 06:34 PM
He has offered more than goals this season, when he was in form his general play was very solid. Must start.

Unseen work
Yes. But he offers more than goals anyway.

This 100%

I don't know where this whole thing has came from that he offers nothing's

We are playing in the championship, we are not going to have the perfect striker.

Cummings would start for most teams in Scotland and a lot of teams down south want him. There is a reason for that.

Are any of our other strikers wanted by a team that would be classed as a step up?

erin go bragh
We would have won if Jason had started, imo.

high bee
17-12-2016, 06:37 PM
The boy has been even carrying us for the last 2 years. Would dread to think what we'd do without him, none of our other forwards has even half of his killer instinct in front of goal.

familyman
17-12-2016, 06:39 PM
As goals win games yes tonight proved his value getting us a point while we huffed and puffed yet again.

hibbysam
17-12-2016, 06:40 PM
His touch after his goal that nearly gave him a tap in when holt missed his sitter was sublime. His movement absolutely petrified defenders.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 06:41 PM
I think Jason is more than a goalscorer particularly when you look at the other options and their ability to link the play. However, even if he was only about goals he would start every week for me because he is the best goalscorer at the club with only Graham looking like he can chip in any more than a goal every now and then. Holt is starting to look like he needs a compass to find the back of the net and Boyle can go months without scoring although to be fair to him he had a decent wee run in the middle of two baron spells.

Oranje39
17-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Yes, but he brings more than that so I think the original question is fair.

Allant1981
17-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Cummings in Lennon out

Away and dont talk rubbish

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Yes, but he brings more than that so I think the original question is fair.

:agree:

Indeed, and to be clear, the point of my post was that I don't actually give a flying one about all the other stick he gets about the other contributions or perceived lack or same, twenty years on who remembers all the guys that were good at running about?

As a Tornadoes era romantic, I used to have a dig at Ally Macleod but when I look back he was the one I remember from that era, and you'd hardly call him industrious.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2016, 06:53 PM
I think Jason is more than a goalscorer particularly when you look at the other options and their ability to link the play. However, even if he was only about goals he would start every week for me because he is the best goalscorer at the club with only Graham looking like he can chip in any more than a goal every now and then. Holt is starting to look like he needs a compass to find the back of the net and Boyle can go months without scoring although to be fair to him he had a decent wee run in the middle of two baron spells.

Yep, quarter of the way through the season if no one else is even approaching your top scorer in the goals scored stats it's an idea to keep picking him.

SunshineOnLeith
17-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Cummings in Lennon out

Sums it up pretty neatly.

lucky
17-12-2016, 06:56 PM
JC has probably learned a lesson after being dropped. Hopefully he'll kick on and get even more goals.

Carheenlea
17-12-2016, 06:58 PM
JC has probably learned a lesson after being dropped. Hopefully he'll kick on and get even more goals.

He'll probably be back on the bench next week though.

bigwheel
17-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Cummings should be straight into Lennon's office next week requesting a start on Saturday ...Boyle has done nothing last three games to deserve a starting slot ....

murray26
17-12-2016, 07:07 PM
If Cummins doesn't start next week Lennon should get chased out the door.. we won't win the league without him in my opinion..

hibsbollah
17-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Apart from Jasons free kick and that one where Gray charged into the keeper there wasn't another shot on target. By anyone!! against Morton. Unbelievable.

To be fair, Lennon has said post match that he was considering starting Cummings and 'probably I should have'. He'll play him next week for sure.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 07:08 PM

He had already learnt the most important lesson for a striker. No 1 job is scoring goals. I am hoping Lennon has learnt a lesson from dropping him. Jason certainly showed him what we have been deprived off in his short appearance.

Real Emerald
17-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Cummings probably deserved to be dropped and Boyle grabbed his chance. However, Boyle's form dipped and Cummings should have returned. The real worrying thing for me is that Lennon must have been content with the players he had on the pitch tonight, the formation he was playing and performance they were serving up. It was quite obviously not working yet he chose to do nothing about it. When he did, Cummings still wasn't his first choice.

There was something very wrong with the team tonight but Lennon chose to leave it be until 3/4 through the game and only gave our top scorer a run out with minutes to go. I really don't know what he was watching and why he didn't change it quicker. He's the one getting paid shed loads of money for it so he must be righ...right?

Pretty Boy
17-12-2016, 07:38 PM
The initial decsion to drop Cummings out wa arguably correct, the first few results afterwards may even support this.

Keeping out the team now is madness though. If all he offers is goals it's still more than anyone else in an attacking sense.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Cummings probably deserved to be dropped and Boyle grabbed his chance. However, Boyle's form dipped and Cummings should have returned. The real worrying thing for me is that Lennon must have been content with the players he had on the pitch tonight, the formation he was playing and performance they were serving up. It was quite obviously not working yet he chose to do nothing about it. When he did, Cummings still wasn't his first choice.

There was something very wrong with the team tonight but Lennon chose to leave it be until 3/4 through the game and only gave our top scorer a run out with minutes to go. I really don't know what he was watching and why he didn't change it quicker. He's the one getting paid shed loads of money for it so he must be righ...right?

The initial decsion to drop Cummings out wa arguably correct, the first few results afterwards may even support this.

Keeping out the team now is madness though. If all he offers is goals it's still more than anyone else in an attacking sense.

Yip that about sums it up. :agree:

A Hi-Bee
17-12-2016, 07:49 PM
A goalscorer is a goalscorer, I would never have said that Neil Martin or Joe MacBride Snr or the great Ally MacLeod and could list many more, were industrious players but they knew how to score goals by the bucket load, a team is made up of lots of different talents and the goalscorer is normally on the end of the collective talents of the team to get the baw over the line, no matter how or what he uses to get the ball over the line a goal is a goal and the hardest thing to do in football.

MacGruber
17-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Away and dont talk rubbish

I want our best and top goalscorer to start

I want a manager with no tactics, no game plan, no shape, no guile, poor team selections, poor formations and the combined proof of it all evident now in eye bleeding route one hoofball
That is no longer getting results because we are so one dimensional overly cautios and have little threat helped in no small measure by leaving the leagues biggest threat on the bench gone

Sorry

calumhibee1
17-12-2016, 09:00 PM
When will people realise that Cummings offers more than just goals? It's a myth that's been pedalled on here for a while now, he's a crap footballer, doesn't do anything etc. Not one of our forwards manages to bring others into the game as well as Jason does. On top of that he has 25 goals a season in him. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet every week, along with Rocky, Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn and Fyvie. The six of them provide the strongest core to a team outside of Celtic in Scotland, it's what we surround them with that's the problem.

Ilovehibs
17-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Absolute disgrace that Jason only got 15 or so mins tonite. Lennon is showing himself up over Cummings' non starting of matches. Well done JC for coming on and showing yir class son. Great goal at crucial time. Lennon, give yirself a shake man for 'JC's sake'.

Toldo123
18-12-2016, 06:46 AM
I have been critical of Jason in the past, but with every passing week it becomes more apparent that we will not win this league without getting the best out of Jason. The sooner lennon realises this the better.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Greenworld
18-12-2016, 09:41 AM
A disgrace he never started against morton whatever happened between Lennon and him has to have been resolved . He has to play crying out for our goals and he sits on the bench joke

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

sleeping giant
18-12-2016, 09:46 AM
I always found it strange hearing that he didn't work enough etc.
We have been crying out for a striker/poacher for years and now we have one , we want him to defend.

He should be starting every week.

Liberal Hibby
18-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Holt and Cummings looked far better as a pair than Graham and Boyle. They should be the regular starters and be allowed to build the forward partnership we desperately need.

500miles
18-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Cummings was dropped when he was providing neither performances nor goals.

Keatings came back, scored goals, got injured.

Boyle came in, scored goals and then struggled without McGinn and Fyvie's service.

Graham scored goals, but is a very hit and miss Nish type player. He certainly has his place in the squad, and his goals to minutes ratio is excellent.

On form, Cummings is an asset, but he is not good enough to be undroppable when he hasn't produced for a while, and that's exactly why he was dropped in the first place.

TonyStokeprano
18-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Boyle came in, scored goals and then struggled without McGinn and Fyvie's service.

Graham scored goals, but is a very hit and miss Nish type player. He certainly has his place in the squad, and his goals to minutes ratio is excellent.

On form, Cummings is an asset, but he is not good enough to be undroppable when he hasn't produced for a while, and that's exactly why he was dropped in the first place.

Think keatings has one goal this season which came before cummings was dropped.

hibbysam
18-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Don't let that get in the way of a cracking argument though!!

DTS
18-12-2016, 02:52 PM

Didn't he score and get injured the first game that Jason was dropped for away to Dunfermline? Then surprisingly at the time Boyle came on for him not Jason, Also in that game holt and graham scored! then the following game boyle started his scoring run

Hermit Crab
18-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Cummings in Lennon out

Laughable.

The Leith Dutch
18-12-2016, 05:17 PM

A good balanced assessment.

Seems to be very polarised on here right now.
For me we have a decent group of strikers all of a slightly different type and all of them suffering from poor service.

Baldy Foghorn
18-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Cummings be injured for a season and he would still contribute more than Brian graham and grant holt

OK then:aok:

inglisavhibs
18-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Sums it up pretty neatly.
Aye let's get another manager for Christmas, that should do the trick. Unbelievable crap.

B.H.F.C
18-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Definitely time to get him back in the team. Boyle has reverted to being the Boyle we have seen for most of his two years here.

Onion
18-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Definitely time to get him back in the team. Boyle has reverted to being the Boyle we have seen for most of his two years here.

Boyle is a support act, not a lead player. Cummings is the only Hibs striker who has the self belief to lead the line and bag goals for fun. Lennon needs to get JC back into the team and motivate him to give his best.

emerald green
18-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Martin Boyle's strength is his pace, but he is not a natural striker. He wastes far too many good goal scoring opportunities which Jason Cummings would put away. Or more of them anyway.

Play footballers in their favoured and strongest positions. Boyle as a winger. Cummings as a striker.

If there's a personality issue between Lennon and Cummings, I can see JC leave if an acceptable offer comes in.

ancient hibee
18-12-2016, 06:11 PM
A goalscorer is a goalscorer, I would never have said that Neil Martin or Joe MacBride Snr or the great Ally MacLeod and could list many more, were industrious players but they knew how to score goals by the bucket load, a team is made up of lots of different talents and the goalscorer is normally on the end of the collective talents of the team to get the baw over the line, no matter how or what he uses to get the ball over the line a goal is a goal and the hardest thing to do in football.
Like a lot of supporters you make a very common mistake in thinking prolific goal scorers are not industrious.In my opinion they are the most industrious players on the pitch.Reason-they are always in the right place at the right time.That only comes about thanks to a lot of hard work.

The Leith Dutch
18-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Martin Boyle's strength is his pace, but he is not a natural striker. He wastes far too many good goal scoring opportunities which Jason Cummings would put away. Or more of them anyway.

Play footballers in their favoured and strongest positions. Boyle as a winger. Cummings as a striker.

If there's a personality issue between Lennon and Cummings, I can see JC leave if an acceptable offer comes in.

I agree on Boyle not being a natural striker but I would say he can make balls into chances with his pace that Cummings wouldn't get to.

Right at the moment I'd be basing our attack on Holt.
Play balls to him with the option to play in Cummings and Boyle playing off him or to knock it back for Shinnie and Commons advancing.

where'stheslope
18-12-2016, 06:24 PM
I still feel that Cummings and Keatings are our best partnership up front.

Jason for scoring and Keatings for his movement and ability to move defenders around creating space for midfielders to come into attack.

FitbaFolkKen
18-12-2016, 06:27 PM
You can see his movement and awareness are a clearly a level above those that have his jersey at the moment.

He needs to play because he is our best striker, if Lennon does want rid then all he is doing is driving the price down at the moment.

I can see us giving Raith a hiding next week if Cummings and Holt start, we are due to put in a performance.

northstandhibby
18-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Like a lot of supporters you make a very common mistake in thinking prolific goal scorers are not industrious.In my opinion they are the most industrious players on the pitch.Reason-they are always in the right place at the right time.That only comes about thanks to a lot of hard work.

Agree. Archie was sometimes singled out for seeming lazy but he was one of the most intelligent forwards and some of the work/runs he did off the ball creating space for others was immense. Archie was a brilliant player and it was a privilege to see him at ER.

Jason is still a young man with all the attributes of playing at the very top level sometime in the future. He is still learning his trade and is far from the finished article however he will make it if he works hard enough. Hopefully this period of him being dropped will stand him in good stead to instill in him the need to ensuring he works his socks off in training and does the right things in his private life too.

The free kick he scored yesterday was a cracking goal and should ensure he starts next game with Graham or Keatings with Boyle playing wide.

Glory Glory

500miles
18-12-2016, 07:40 PM

Let me rephrase that, he performed and was an asset to the team.

TonyStokeprano
18-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Let me rephrase that, he performed and was an asset to the team.

Maybe, although the last 4 games he started we drew at home to utd, lost at home to St mirren, drew at raith and we were drawing with dunfermline when he went off injured, I keep hearing we get better results when these players starts ahead of jason and I just don't see it.

Dashing Bob S
18-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Don't buy that JC offers only goals.He is our only forward that can play in the opposition box. Against Morton he was the one hitting firm passes/crosses low in the six yard box.

Unless we play to feet or cross low to Cummings in the box, we are reduced hoofballing it for Holt/Graham to do their thing, or, in the absence of width and pace, trying to play through a congested midfield into the opposition box.

Ronniekirk
18-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Don't buy that JC offers only goals.He is our only forward that can play in the opposition box. Against Morton he was the one hitting firm passes/crosses low in the six yard box.

Unless we play to feet or cross low to Cummings in the box, we are reduced hoofballing it for Holt/Graham to do their thing, or, in the absence of width and pace, trying to play through a congested midfield into the opposition box.

And we created more chances in the time Holt and Cummings were on the park and could of won the game although Morton didnt deserve to loose
To think i missed the Stricktly Final to Stand on the open Terrace and watch our worst performance of the Season

cmcd
18-12-2016, 09:54 PM
And we created more chances in the time Holt and Cummings were on the park and could of won the game although Morton didnt deserve to loose
To think i missed the Stricktly Final to Stand on the open Terrace and watch our worst performance of the Season

People on here saying Jason is a young lad . Joe Baker was only 17 when he made his Hibs debut. He worked his socks off in and out of the penalty box and he had pace. Jason is a decent goalscorer but has a long way to go .Perhaps I've been spoiled