PDA

View Full Version : foodbank collection

pontius pilate
16-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Folks is there a foodbank collection before tomorrow's game? I can't make it too ER tomorrow but I've got some food here for a foodbank if any hibbies are in the broomhouse area and can take it down that would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
16-12-2016, 06:53 PM
You need to check your fixture list mate :wink:

pontius pilate
16-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Sorry meant Xmas eve jumpin ahead of my self by a week for some strange reason I thought we had the faith game tomorrow. Hey ho I will drop it in to one near me.

Carheenlea
18-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Great to Hearts get involved too :aok:

http://www.liveedinburghnews.co.uk/2016/12/17/foodbank-collectors-threatened-with-legal-action-from-hearts-fc/

SRHibs
18-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Great to Hearts get involved too :aok:

http://www.liveedinburghnews.co.uk/2016/12/17/foodbank-collectors-threatened-with-legal-action-from-hearts-fc/

You can kind of see where they're coming from though, even if legal action is a tad excessive. The food bank itself is being run by people who Hearts understandably don't want to be associated with. Is it an official charity?

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm all for the collection, however I do understand Hearts' reservations.

lord bunberry
18-12-2016, 01:26 PM
You can kind of see where they're coming from though, even if legal action is a tad excessive. The food bank itself is being run by people who Hearts understandably don't want to be associated with. Is it an official charity?

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm all for the collection, however I do understand Hearts' reservations.
Who is it that hearts understandably don't want to be associated with?

SaulGoodman
18-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Who is it that hearts understandably don't want to be associated with?

According to any Hearts fans you ask it's "yon dodgy hobos that run it" even if it is a good cause

I'm_cabbaged
18-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Yep, they want every penny the trumpets have put into their own coffers

Famous Fiver
18-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Surely if they bung Budgie a wee 6.5% of the take all will be hunky dorey in the fan owned world down Gorgie way?

Iggy Pope
18-12-2016, 05:33 PM

What in the name of **** does that mean?

Iggy Pope
18-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Organised by a guy jailed for assaulting a woman and a man week known for his support of terrorists.

Is that first one in jail now?

How well known and which terrorists is the other one supporting?

marinello59
18-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Organised by a guy jailed for assaulting a woman and a man week known for his support of terrorists.

Unfair. There may have been a communication breakdown of some sort here but the people behind it are well meaning.

Iggy Pope
18-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Unfair. There may have been a communication breakdown of some sort here but the people behind it are well meaning.

I'd suggest the post is a bit more than unfair and if it lacks substance should be removed. The club themselves are supporting this initiative.

Pretty Boy
18-12-2016, 06:18 PM
In Hearts defence, and somewhat playing devils advocate, if Helping Hands aren't a registered charity and anything untoward did occur (I'm not suggesting it would/will) they may feel uncomfortable at having been seen to endorse something they have now explicitly said they didn't. It's also worth saying Hearts have held 2 foodbank collections recently, one only a couple of weeks ago.

In saying all of the above the statement on their website was way OTT and I'm glad Hibs have got behind this.

SRHibs
18-12-2016, 06:26 PM
What in the name of **** does that mean?

It's inarguable that both the people whose names are attached to it have bad reputations - or the names attached to the statement with regards the Hearts situation anyway. It has a lot to do with it. Hearts are within their rights to question the legitimacy of it, however like I said 'legal action' seems way OTT.

I'm not questioning the motives of the people running it in anyway. Just trying to see things from an other perspective.

green day
18-12-2016, 06:43 PM

I'm not a big Brad fan but I donated last year and think he did a great job arranging foodbank - ten tons of food, phenomenal.

barcahibs
18-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Not often you'll find me defending the hertz but they're within their rights here. You can't let groups claim affiliation and use your logo etc without permission, no matter how good the cause.

Hope the collection goes well though.

CropleyWasGod
18-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Not often you'll find me defending the hertz but they're within their rights here. You can't let groups claim affiliation and use your logo etc without permission, no matter how good the cause.

Hope the collection goes well though.

You're right, of course, but as I understand it HH wrote to Hearts, telling them of THEIR fans' plans.... and didn't even receive a reply.

There's fault on both sides here, I reckon.

I'm_cabbaged
19-12-2016, 05:08 AM
Taken from HH's Facebook page:
Heartless

It has come to the attention of Edinburgh Helping Hands that Hearts FC have today issued a statement on their website threatening legal action against the Hearts fans foodbank initiative. This can only be characterised as a bizarre and heartless development.

For the record Helping Hands wrote to Hearts FC on December 2nd 2016 regarding their fans initiative to hold a foodbank collection at Tynecastle stadium similar to the one that is being held by Hibernian fans at Easter Road. We made clear to Hearts that this was a fans initiative and our role was to offer our experience, expertise and logistical support to make it a success. Hearts failed to respond to that letter and at no time contacted Helping Hands in relation to their supporters plans.

Then at the end of last week we received letters and phone calls from corporate lawyers claiming to be representing Hearts FC and complaining about the use of the Hearts badge in relation to the Hearts fans foodbank collection. This has offended many Hearts supporters who have invested so much time and love in their club only to be told they cannot use the Hearts badge or name for a fans initiative for families in need of help.

It was not that long ago Hearts FC needed help from the community and Hearts supporters contributed a huge amount of hard earned cash keeping the football club afloat. The contrast between the clubs actions and that of their supporters could not be more stark.

Helping Hands also contacted Foundation of Hearts on December 2nd, both by phone and in writing, outlining this Hearts supporters initiative. We also sought and received the support of Hearts supporting MP, Ian Murray. We now fully expect Mr Murray and the Foundation of Hearts to intervene in support of the Hearts fans foodbank collection. The actions of heartless millionaires cannot trump the needs of hungry families this Christmas.

Helping Hands have a proven track record of raising tonnes of food at sporting events, gymnasiums and workplaces throughout the city. Our collection at Easter Road stadium in 2015 was the largest foodbank collection ever held in Edinburgh. The idea of the two Edinburgh clubs supporters working together to feed Edinburgh families in need is a powerful message indeed.

Our view remains that the priority for all of us should be collecting as much food as possible for struggling families at this time of year. Hearts supporters are to be credited for their commitment to such an outcome. We can only hope the owners of the football club will see sense and follow their supporters lead in this regard. Helping Hands, as always, stands ready to work with partners in supporting those in need in Edinburgh.

givescotlandfreedom
20-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Hearts are probably just not not happy it's food, not money, to steal.