PDA

View Full Version : Kris Commons - biggest signing in years. Welcome!

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Anyone else share my views? Honestly over the moon with this. It's the rumour I've followed the closest and hoped for the most.

Superb signing for Hibs. A guy who has bags of English Premier League experience, Titles won at Celtic and mega Champions Leagues experience and goals at that level too! Not to mention his games to goals ratio (which for a midfielder is incredible and he's got to have one of the most impressive ratios in the whole of the UK).

Even though he won't quite be at those heights anymore of course, at 33 he'll still have enough in the tank to offer, and in the Scottish Championship he'll shine!

Not too often we sign a player who's played at Champions League standard and not even that long ago either. Major credit to everyone who's been involved in this deal. From the Lennon factor to Dempster.

Delighted Hibee here!

wookie70
16-12-2016, 03:33 PM
I hope he is as good as you think he will be. I feel the same way about Commons as I did about Lennon. No real way of knowing with my gut saying it won't work out. There is no doubt he was a good player but he is getting on a bit and hasn't played for a long time. I'll be delighted if he is still hungry and rips the league up but he could easily be a waste of a jersey who doesn't work out and isn't fit. Like Lennon it does show a bit of intent but it may also be an expensive mistake. There is no doubt we need to freshen up the team but I thought the plan was young players with their careers in front of them who we can enjoy for a while before selling on for a profit.

Vault Boy
16-12-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm delighted as well, about on par with Stokes for me but that's not discrediting how exciting it is at all. Unreal pedigree to be playing for us in the championship.

Franck Stanton
16-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Agree with the OP , go as far as to say this is a signing on a par with Sauzee coming to us. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Our biggest signing since our last big signing. Nothing he has done before now matters, he'll be starting from fresh as everyone else who signs for us does in my mind. Won't be getting caught up in any ''20 goals easy'' nonsense we got last January.

JohnMcM
16-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Our biggest signing since our last big signing. Nothing he has done before now matters, he'll be starting from fresh as everyone else who signs for us does in my mind. Won't be getting caught up in any ''20 goals easy'' nonsense we got last January.

Agree with you fully there. That's why I'll be happy with him getting only 19. :greengrin

Craig_HFC
16-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Well we'll see how he gets on. Hopefully he's fit & ready to go.

If he is; then we'll have excellent player on our hands.

Nameless
16-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Anyone else share my views?

Yes! Delighted by this signing. Commons will give us more composure in midfield, and I think he will be great for McGinn and Cummings to learn from - he might even get the best out of Holt.

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Agree with the OP , go as far as to say this is a signing on a par with Sauzee coming to us. :greengrin

Yep. I'm not getting on about things I'm forecasting him to do. Just merely on the face of it and the stature of the guys history. Stokes was big and left an obvious massive mark. Commons is huge, let's see what kind of mark he leaves..

16-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Certainly a very exciting signing!

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Well we'll see how he gets on. Hopefully he's fit & ready to go.

If he is; then we'll have excellent player on our hands.

'Hopefully in for Morton tomorrow. I'm brand new and ready to go' were his exact words a few hours ago 👍

southern hibby
16-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Has he actually signed yet

GGTTH

Broken Gnome
16-12-2016, 03:50 PM
A goal threat from more than 18 yards. Jings.

California-Hibs

GGTTH

Cards on the table....there's no scarf picture yet or Hibs announcement. I just couldn't wait to get this thread up expressing my excitement when everything in the last few hours points to it being done and Hibs to speak at some point shortly.

guthrie01
Yep. I'm not getting on about things I'm forecasting him to do. Just merely on the face of it and the stature of the guys history. Stokes was big and left an obvious massive mark. Commons is huge, let's see what kind of mark he leaves..

Most people feel Stokes was a little disappointing and underwhelming yet he still played a big part in winning The Scottish Cup. Excited to see what Commons can know bring to the table, hopefully the double :thumbsup:

Speedway
16-12-2016, 03:51 PM

GGTTH

No.

jacomo
I was excited by the possibility in the summer.

Since then, he hasn't been playing, and I have serious doubts.

However, this emergency loan wheeze sounds good, if it means we can back out of the deal if he doesn't offer anything.

Obviously hoping for the best!

HoboHarry
Real shame tomorrow's game is away - could have been close to a full house with Commons playing.....

FranckSuzy
16-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Kenny Millar ‏@Kenny_Millar (https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar/status/809789313810657280) @HibsNews1875 (https://twitter.com/HibsNews1875) @STVPaul (https://twitter.com/STVPaul) It's done.

5 replies . 0 retweets 5 likes

FranckSuzy
16-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Kenny Millar ‏@Kenny_Millar (https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar) 47s47 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar/status/809806219120615424) @fuimus1980 (https://twitter.com/fuimus1980) @HibsNews1875 (https://twitter.com/HibsNews1875) @STVPaul (https://twitter.com/STVPaul) Should be [announced] tonight.

PeeJay
16-12-2016, 04:06 PM
What he does on the park in a Hibs jersey is all that will count - no reason to get excited yet ... best wait and see what he actually brings to the club ...

pacoluna
16-12-2016, 04:14 PM
These are the kind of signings lennon can attract.. Anyone questioning if he is the rite man are deluded.

FranckSuzy
16-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Earlydelivery
16-12-2016, 04:20 PM
These are the kind of signings lennon can attract.. Anyone questioning if he is the rite man are deluded.
True post m8

swin1875
16-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Could not agree more mate spot on,fantastic signing

HibbyAndy
16-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Why just a month ? I can't see him actually making a massive difference for a month ! If we got him in on loan in January fair enough but a month ?

Earlydelivery
16-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Why just a month ? I can't see him actually making a massive difference for a month ! If we got him in on loan in January fair enough but a month ?
I think we can only get him for 28days , then after that hopefully on loan till end of season .

Vault Boy
16-12-2016, 04:27 PM
I think we can only get him for 28days , then after that hopefully on loan till end of season .

I think it's 90 odd days max, think 28 is the minimum. Kenny Millar said the plan could well be to extend the deal in January.

FifeHibs
16-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Thought emergency was 28 days, then he will sign on loan after

HibbyAndy
16-12-2016, 04:30 PM

I think it's 90 odd days max, think 28 is the minimum. Kenny Millar said the plan could well be to extend the deal in January.

If we can extend his stay then happy days , Hopefully be with us for the rest of the season and push us over the line for promotion, Team should get a massive boost ahead of this for tomorrows game, Well done those that made this happen :aok:

70KevinHFC62
16-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Official now

Billy Whizz
16-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Official now

Until 15th Jan

FranckSuzy
16-12-2016, 04:32 PM

JeMeSouviens
16-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Anyone else share my views? Honestly over the moon with this. It's the rumour I've followed the closest and hoped for the most.

Superb signing for Hibs. A guy who has bags of English Premier League experience, Titles won at Celtic and mega Champions Leagues experience and goals at that level too! Not to mention his games to goals ratio (which for a midfielder is incredible and he's got to have one of the most impressive ratios in the whole of the UK).

Even though he won't quite be at those heights anymore of course, at 33 he'll still have enough in the tank to offer, and in the Scottish Championship he'll shine!

Not too often we sign a player who's played at Champions League standard and not even that long ago either. Major credit to everyone who's been involved in this deal. From the Lennon factor to Dempster.

Delighted Hibee here!

He only played in the english lower divisions but other than that, I agree. :agree:

70KevinHFC62
16-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Until 15th Jan

No inside info but think this will be extended. Could there be a rule somewhere that if the emergency loan went beyond the end of January window it could not be extended during the initial loan period

MichaelTheCelt
16-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Best of luck Kris you gave us some great memories, hope he makes the deal permanent and batters the goals in which I'm sure he will.

Fancy taking Henderson and GMS in January too? :hmmm:

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Was a great player in his day, no games in how long?

Will wait and see before making any judgement on him, if he can play anywhere near what the smellies got then we will have a player on our hands. :pray:

High-On-Hibs
16-12-2016, 05:04 PM
That 15 top should get him off to a good start. :wink:

Big L
16-12-2016, 05:05 PM
I was'nt keen on signing hIm because I didn't think the expense could be justified, I also thought he was to old but this will give us an opportunity to see just what he contributes before making a decision on the rest of the season. On that basis, good luck Kris !

Oscar T Grouch
16-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Welcome tae the Hibees Kris.

:thumbsup:

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Fantastic signing if, and only if, he actually does the business for us.
I expect him to be ring-rusty if he plays at Morton, but would be over-the-moon if he makes an immediate impact and helps us to beat a stuffy and difficult opponent.
Oh yes, welcome Kris !:scarf:

superfurryhibby
16-12-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm always hopeful when we sign a player. Clearly Lennon feels he can come in and make an impact, here's to Kris Commons, hope it's a productive few weeks.

emerald green
16-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Hibs biggest signing in years was, and still is, John McGinn.

That said, I hope Kris Commons can make a real difference and make a telling and immediate impact straight away at ER. We'll have a better idea after he's played a few games.

I don't doubt his ability. It's his level of match fitness which slightly concerns me. Match fitness is not the same as just simply being fit.

SunshineOnLeith
16-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Biggest signing in years :faf:

Simmer, it's a month long loan.

hibeequinn
16-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Best of luck Kris you gave us some great memories, hope he makes the deal permanent and batters the goals in which I'm sure he will.

In a heartbeat

Enough said
16-12-2016, 05:57 PM
biggest signing in years :faf:

yam

--------
16-12-2016, 05:57 PM

Absolutely NOT. :yawn:

Biggest signing in years :faf:

An awful lot of fuss about a short-term loan - more like he's using Hibs as the shop-window with a view to him moving on elsewhere in January.

Keith_M
16-12-2016, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't exactly call a one month signing the "biggest signing in years".

Maybe if it works out well and we then sign him long term

esjorto
16-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Welcome Kris. Now do the business!

Squealing pig
16-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Great bit of business . Hopefully extended after 28 days

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2016, 06:20 PM
On paper a very good signing ..... but I have some reservations, When did he last kick a ball in anger? the point being if he has signed to plug the gaps being left by the absence of McGinn, Fyvie and McGeough is he going to be fit enough to last 90 minutes?

The one thing I do like about him is that he has a decent long range shot and can score goals from distance, something we usually lack from midfield.

Aldo
16-12-2016, 06:25 PM

I very much doubt I will ever see a player of the calibre of Le God pull on the green and white jersey of Hibernian Football club.

I will give you Commons is a quality signing but to say he is in a par with Le God is way off the mark IMHO!

Heisenberg
16-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Needs to lose some weight in my opinion...:cb

ian cruise
16-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Almost had a whoosh moment there, thank God for smilies

Steviethebear
16-12-2016, 06:39 PM

Aye fat as **** like eh 🙄

Onion
16-12-2016, 06:43 PM
On paper a very good signing ..... but I have some reservations, When did he last kick a ball in anger? the point being if he has signed to plug the gaps being left by the absence of McGinn, Fyvie and McGeough is he going to be fit enough to last 90 minutes?

The one thing I do like about him is that he has a decent long range shot and can score goals from distance, something we usually lack from midfield.

Reasonable to question his fitness, focus etc. If there was no question, you'd expect bigger clubs than Hibs to be in for him on a Jan loan or permanent deal. Going by similar types of loan deals, we should expect he'll take a few games to get up to speed - even in the Championship.

Iggy Pope
16-12-2016, 06:48 PM

Given where the shot was taken and the smile on his face, maybe he's just done that.

--------
16-12-2016, 06:51 PM
I very much doubt I will ever see a player of the calibre of Le God pull on the green and white jersey of Hibernian Football club.

I will give you Commons is a quality signing but to say he is in a par with Le God is way off the mark IMHO!

Absolutely. No comparison. Way OTT. :agree:

As far as I know, Commons hasn't kicked a ball in anger this season, so I would expect him to be well short of match-sharpness and fitness.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath here.

snooky
16-12-2016, 06:55 PM

:hmmm: Throw in Sparky and we'll think about it.

Aldo
16-12-2016, 06:55 PM

As far as I know, Commons hasn't kicked a ball in anger this season, so I would expect him to be well short of match-sharpness and fitness.

I that no this will be an inspired signing Doddie. Hopefully his quality in the final 3rd will provide the strikers with more chances.

Will get the benefit of the doubt from me.

I do however get that he has not played since April but hopefully by the time he has done his stint on the pitch the game will have already been won!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dp00
16-12-2016, 06:57 PM
If people aren't pleased with us signing someone like commons ... who are they expecting us to attract in the championship :/

HoboHarry
16-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Sing along now.... :singing: he's just a skinny Joey Harper......... :singing:

:greengrin

lucky
16-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Commons is great signing, whilst it's a short term signing there is an opportunity for him to sign a longer deal in January. He is a quality player with a great eye for goal. I'm surprised that some are questioning his signing

LustForLeith
16-12-2016, 08:06 PM

I was wondering how long it would be for him to get his own song..!

where'stheslope
16-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Commons is great signing, whilst it's a short term signing there is an opportunity for him to sign a longer deal in January. He is a quality player with a great eye for goal. I'm surprised that some are questioning his signing

Have we the money to make him stay?

Messi would be a better signing if we can afford him???

I'll take him for the month if he's ready to go, long term, I think he's out of our league!!!

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 09:19 PM

It's incredible some people are questioning his signing yet others agree he's possibly the biggest stature signing since Sauzee.

I'm very confident all those who question him will have their answers given sharply - hopefully starting tomorrow.

ekhibee
16-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Reasonable to question his fitness, focus etc. If there was no question, you'd expect bigger clubs than Hibs to be in for him on a Jan loan or permanent deal. Going by similar types of loan deals, we should expect he'll take a few games to get up to speed - even in the Championship.
Yep, that's my take on it. I have to say I'm pretty 'underwhelmed' about him only being here for a month, considering that's probably roughly how long he'll take to fully get up to match speed. In other words, we could be just setting it up for some other club to step in in a month's time and they get a fully matchfit player, ready to go. If he plays 90 minutes each game and makes a telling contribution then great, it's definitely worth it, but I do have doubts, mainly because it's an emergency deal so he's only here for a short time, not till the end of the season. Of course if that situation changes then it could be a great piece of business.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2016, 10:10 PM
3rd player on loan from Celtic in 3 seasons ..... this makes us, Celtic reserves, Celtic's bitch, a mini Celtic .... cheats :greengrin

oneone73
16-12-2016, 10:16 PM
3rd player on loan from Celtic in 3 seasons ..... this makes us, Celtic reserves, Celtic's bitch, a mini Celtic .... cheats :greengrin

Isn't it 4? McGeouch, Henderson, Stokes & KC?

monktonharp
16-12-2016, 10:17 PM
3rd player on loan from Celtic in 3 seasons ..... this makes us, Celtic reserves, Celtic's bitch, a mini Celtic .... cheats :greengrinreads better, if you think of Celtic being our feeder club :wink:

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Kris Commons isn't anywhere near the class some people are making out. To compare this signing to Sauzee, who was a European Cup medalist, is ridiculous. He looked decent in some CL matches, was reasonable at international level, and did a turn in the SPL at a Celtic side who, as their budget suggests, were and are miles ahead of their rivals. He played for Forest and Derby as a decent championship player, and that was his level.

It's been almost a year since he played competitive first team football, he is 33, and was never the quickest. It's doubtful whether he is anywhere near that best English championship level of his salad days.

That said, he's more than good enough to play in the Scottish Championship, and I hope he does a turn for us and helps us win the flag, and brings out more quality in the likes of McGinn, but also helps guys like Martin along. I'm generally positive about this signing. NL hasn't done as well in the transfer market as Stubbs, but it's early days and his more pragmatic side might be what we need to get out of this league. He's had the problem of having to let us get past the emotion of the Scottish Cup and accept that the side which won on that glorious day, paradoxically weren't equipped to get us out this league. I think that's made him more cautious about making changes. He feels Commons can do a job - good on, I hope he's right.

Our major problem the last couple of seasons has been lack of width and pace, and Commons won't address either of those issues. I'm cautiously optimistic he will work out for us, but let's lay off the Sauzee/Latapy stuff just because big Eck pulled those rabbits out the hat the last time we were in the second tier. Those were different times. Commons, at his best, was quite a bit short of that quality, and he's way below that now.

CyberSauzee
16-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Biggest signing since Conrad Logan :wink:

Hibbyradge
16-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Kris Commons isn't anywhere near the class some people are making out. To compare this signing to Sauzee, who was a European Cup medalist, is ridiculous. He looked decent in some CL matches, was reasonable at international level, and did a turn in the SPL at a Celtic side who, as their budget suggests, were and are miles ahead of their rivals. He played for Forest and Derby as a decent championship player, and that was his level.

It's been almost a year since he played competitive first team football, he is 33, and was never the quickest. It's doubtful whether he is anywhere near that best English championship level of his salad days.

That said, he's more than good enough to play in the Scottish Championship, and I hope he does a turn for us and helps us win the flag, and brings out more quality in the likes of McGinn, but also helps guys like Martin along. I'm generally positive about this signing. NL hasn't done as well in the transfer market as Stubbs, but it's early days and his more pragmatic side might be what we need to get out of this league. He's had the problem of having to let us get past the emotion of the Scottish Cup and accept that the side which won on that glorious day, paradoxically weren't equipped to get us out this league. I think that's made him more cautious about making changes. He feels Commons can do a job - good on, I hope he's right.

Our major problem the last couple of seasons has been lack of width and pace, and Commons won't address either of those issues. I'm cautiously optimistic he will work out for us, but let's lay off the Sauzee/Latapy stuff just because big Eck pulled those rabbits out the hat the last time we were in the second tier. Those were different times. Commons, at his best, was quite a bit short of that quality, and he's way below that now.

I concur.

Wholeheartedly.

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 11:09 PM

Not bigger than Sauzee, biggest since. May I ask you who we have signed since Sauzee that has a more impressive background history than Kris Commons? Thanks.

In fact I'll just save you the time. No one have we signed that has had as many International Caps as he has. As much European games as he has, and as good a goals to game ratio as he has.

Biggest since Sauzee. It's a bold statement that shakes some, but it logically on paper can't really be argued with.

shetlandhibee
16-12-2016, 11:16 PM
:cb

SunshineOnLeith
16-12-2016, 11:46 PM
No one have we signed that has had as many International Caps as he has.

Twelve.

CmoantheHibs
16-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Not bigger than Sauzee, biggest since. May I ask you who we have signed since Sauzee that has a more impressive background history than Kris Commons? Thanks.

In fact I'll just save you the time. No one have we signed that has had as many International Caps as he has. As much European games as he has, and as good a goals to game ratio as he has.

Biggest since Sauzee. It's a bold statement that shakes some, but it logically on paper can't really be argued with.

Jonathon Johansson has more caps did he not?

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Jonathon Johansson has more caps did he not?

Ok perhaps the Caps statement wasn't the best point to add. I know without research that for honors, European games, and goals, no one we've signed is touching him.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 12:14 AM

We could sign Bobby Charlton tomorrow and he would blow Kris C away in terms of career stats. Whilst past performance is an indicator I feel there is justified caution over his age, injuries, lack of games and possible lack of appetite for seeing out his career in a lower division. He has certainly been a player that should skoosh this league but so is Grant Holt and he isn't setting the heather on fire. Jonathon J was the same but then again Brewster, Sauzee, Mixu and others were a big success. It is hard to tell so I'll cheer him on and not be too disappointed if he isn't the player he was. Hopefully he works out but we'll not know for a few weeks yet.

California-Hibs
17-12-2016, 12:21 AM
We could sign Bobby Charlton tomorrow and he would blow Kris C away in terms of career stats. Whilst past performance is an indicator I feel there is justified caution over his age, injuries, lack of games and possible lack of appetite for seeing out his career in a lower division. He has certainly been a player that should skoosh this league but so is Grant Holt and he isn't setting the heather on fire. Jonathon J was the same but then again Brewster, Sauzee, Mixu and others were a big success. It is hard to tell so I'll cheer him on and not be too disappointed if he isn't the player he was. Hopefully he works out but we'll not know for a few weeks yet.

Time will indeed tell. Gotta highlight you saying injuries though, this is a myth. Look at his career stats, hes not a player who gets injuried very often at all which is a big positive.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 12:23 AM
He was injured this year and from what I can gather missed pretty season. It's not so much him being injury prone more how his last one has effected his season so far.

GreenLake
17-12-2016, 12:49 AM

Sobering but reasonable thinking.

California-Hibs
17-12-2016, 01:02 AM
He was injured this year and from what I can gather missed pretty season. It's not so much him being injury prone more how his last one has effected his season so far.

He was only injuried for a small period this year. He's been fit and ready to play for awhile now 👍

Captain Trips
17-12-2016, 01:20 AM

There will never be a bigger signing. Whats Nade uptae?

Captain Trips
17-12-2016, 01:24 AM
Until I see how he goes I am going to enjoy deciding that he will be excellent for us. Brilliant signing.

Highland_Hibee
17-12-2016, 02:24 AM
The lad was voted the best player in Scotland as recently as two seasons ago. He is a player who will shoot on sight and has an eye for a set piece. If you honestly think a team scrapping in the 2nd division should have reservations about signing Kris Commons for his "lack of match sharpness" then I ask you who on earth do you expect us to be signing? Some Hibs fans are wired to the moon.

AgentDaleCooper
17-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Ok perhaps the Caps statement wasn't the best point to add. I know without research that for honors, European games, and goals, no one we've signed is touching him.

stokes?

for the record - i think he's a great signing, and probably as good a signing as we could possibly hope for. if it's someone of has ability, it's always going to be because there's a risk they'll be unfit or crocked - not a very big risk mind, i'm sure he'll do very well. i just think mentioning him in the same sentence as sauzee at this stage is a bit daft and setting expectations WAY too high.

California-Hibs
17-12-2016, 04:29 AM
stokes?

for the record - i think he's a great signing, and probably as good a signing as we could possibly hope for. if it's someone of has ability, it's always going to be because there's a risk they'll be unfit or crocked - not a very big risk mind, i'm sure he'll do very well. i just think mentioning him in the same sentence as sauzee at this stage is a bit daft and setting expectations WAY too high.

Stokes has a few less caps, less European games under his belt and a few less goals also....and this is a midfielder vs striker!

Now, Anthony Stokes is and will forever be an absolute legend, I'm in no way shape or form bashing him, just comparing the twos career to date and you'd say on the whole that Commons CV is slightly more impressive.

No ones saying he's better than Sauzee. Only that since the Frenchman we've not had anyone with as impressive a CV. That just cannot be argued with. Period.

Phil MaGlass
17-12-2016, 05:14 AM
Seems a good signing, if he is fit, but as someone has already said, itīs width and pace the team needs.

HoboHarry
17-12-2016, 05:16 AM
One's mind wanders to the image of several bald men arguing over a comb.........

Pete
17-12-2016, 05:45 AM
One's mind wanders to the image of several bald men arguing over a comb.........

I've only read one or two post previous to this but I get the gist.

Commons will be a great addition in an area where we are a bit short and he's a quality player. What's not to like?

GreenLake
17-12-2016, 05:48 AM

I am debating whether to checkout the Hibs home jersey in my shopping cart which is customized as MACALLAN 18 or delete it and order COMMONS 15 which might either be sadder or inspired depending on perspective.

AgentDaleCooper
17-12-2016, 06:44 AM
Stokes has a few less caps, less European games under his belt and a few less goals also....and this is a midfielder vs striker!

Now, Anthony Stokes is and will forever be an absolute legend, I'm in no way shape or form bashing him, just comparing the twos career to date and you'd say on the whole that Commons CV is slightly more impressive.

No ones saying he's better than Sauzee. Only that since the Frenchman we've not had anyone with as impressive a CV. That just cannot be argued with. Period.

i really think that's an over statement though - liam miller played for man utd, and stokes won more trophies. vaz te really should have been the best signing since sauzee in terms of raw ability, but he wasn't interested. commons found his level in the SPL, because you don't need to be as quick as you do down south. he really should piss all over this league...but then, so should hibs, and here we are...

again...i think commons is a great signing, just...calm down :aok: :wink:

AgentDaleCooper
17-12-2016, 06:45 AM
I am debating whether to checkout the Hibs home jersey in my shopping cart which is customized as MACALLAN 18 or delete it and order COMMONS 15 which might either be sadder or inspired depending on perspective.

that's a bit of a risk IMO...knowing our luck he'll be next on the treatment table.

Keith_M
17-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Some people seem to be making the argument that if you don't agree that a one month loan deal is 'the biggest signing in years', you obviously don't appreciate what a good player Commons is.

I think they should take a step back and consider their logic a little before making any further comment.

Ozyhibby
17-12-2016, 07:22 AM
Need to get Mrs C booked onto one of the stadium tours. [emoji23]
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/7cb1284b0b550d0fb0d158ec0eba35e5.png
In all seriousness, they sound like a decent couple.

--------
17-12-2016, 08:09 AM

Oh, you ARE droll. :greengrin

Commons doesn't appear right now to have the makings of another Franck Sauzee. People tend to forget just how high Franck's reputation was in European football when we signed him. He's certainly the biggest - and probably the most successful - signing Hibs have made in the last 25 years. (Bear in mind, we signed Steve Archibald from Barca in the 80's, after all.)

Right now we have a bit of an injury crisis in midfield and KS has been signed to help out in that department - for a month. Maybe he'll sign for a longer period in January, maybe someone in England will notice he's playing again and make him a better offer - in which case I'd expect him to be off, 17/1/17.

In the meantime I just hope that one of the psychotic thugs that pass for football players in this division doesn't get the nod from one of our terminally-corrupt match officials to do a job on him before we get to the New Year.

PS - When he signed him, ET told us Harper was the biggest signing the club had ever made. What we didn't realise until we saw Mr Harper was that Ned was referring to his waistline. The first time I ever saw a 'footballer' with a six-pack that outdid the Michelin Man's ...

Ho, Ho, Ho! Merrrrryyyy Chriiiiistmas!!!!!! :kinky

JimBHibees
17-12-2016, 08:16 AM
[/B]PS - When he signed him, ET told us Harper was the biggest signing the club had ever made. What we didn't realise until we saw Mr Harper was that Ned was referring to his waistline. The first time I ever saw a 'footballer' with a six-pack that outdid the Michelin Man's ...

Let it go Doddie, let it go. :greengrin

Ozyhibby
17-12-2016, 08:20 AM

Commons doesn't appear right now to have the makings of another Franck Sauzee. People tend to forget just how high Franck's reputation was in European football when we signed him. He's certainly the biggest - and probably the most successful - signing Hibs have made in the last 25 years. (Bear in mind, we signed Steve Archibald from Barca in the 80's, after all.)

Right now we have a bit of an injury crisis in midfield and KS has been signed to help out in that department - for a month. Maybe he'll sign for a longer period in January, maybe someone in England will notice he's playing again and make him a better offer - in which case I'd expect him to be off, 17/1/17.

In the meantime I just hope that one of the psychotic thugs that pass for football players in this division doesn't get the nod from one of our terminally-corrupt match officials to do a job on him before we get to the New Year.

PS - When he signed him, ET told us Harper was the biggest signing the club had ever made. What we didn't realise until we saw Mr Harper was that Ned was referring to his waistline. The first time I ever saw a 'footballer' with a six-pack that outdid the Michelin Man's ...

To be honest, I haven't seen any real difference in the physicality in this division from the premiership.

Brightside
17-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Some people on here wouldn't not a baller if they grabbed them by the bollix and and licked their face.

JimBHibees
17-12-2016, 08:35 AM
To be honest, I haven't seen any real difference in the physicality in this division from the premiership.

Maybe not I have seen more shocking tackles not getting the punishment they deserve last weeks one on SDG for example. dangerous and a definite red card yet only a yellow.

WhileTheChief..
17-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Absolutely no reason to suggest he isn't match fit just because he's not played recently.

The guy is a top quality professional and was wanting to play each week at Celtic. He doesn't appear to be the type to go in a huff and sulk and would have been training hard trying to get his place back.

Cantona was out of football for close on a year where he wasn't allowed to kick a ball, he did ok on his return :greengrin

--------
17-12-2016, 08:47 AM

Naw, Jim.

It's like scratching an itch. An irritation and a pleasure all at the one time. :greengrin

JimBHibees
17-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Naw, Jim.

It's like scratching an itch. An irritation and a pleasure all at the one time. :greengrin

Quite right too. :thumbsup:

--------
17-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Some people on here wouldn't not a baller if they grabbed them by the bollix and and licked their face.

Pardon? :confused:

Allant1981
17-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Dont think anyone has said he isnt a decent player, more the fact he hasnt played played in a very long time which maybe an issue if he is only here for a month

G B Young
17-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Fitness aside, I guess what matters most will be Commons' attitude.

Guys like Sauzee, Latapy and Archibald had played at much higher levels than Hibs yet never gave the impression that they were just going through the motions at Easter Road. They were outstanding, committed and invaluable contributors during their time with us and each was a delight to watch. If Commons can approach the move in a similar way then he should prove a very effective signing.

As someone else has pointed out, the signing reminds me a bit of the appointment of Lennon as manager. Very exciting on paper but leaving you wondering if he'll be as up for the challenge as he was at Celtic. I'm still finding it hard to warm to the football we play under Lennon and we seem some distance from establishing a consistent style, but then his Celtic team's were usually more functional than cavalier so as things stand it's all about getting the job done (ie promotion) and I'll be happy to see that achieved by any means possible!

Greenworld
17-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Great first addition to strengthening the squad I fully expect others to follow and I have no problem if they are from celtic also ...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

hhibs
17-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Sorry ,I am with Doddie on that one.|

Andy74
17-12-2016, 09:34 AM

I hate missing pretty season.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2016, 10:11 AM
I hate missing pretty season.

I have met you Andy, you are right, that was one season you couldnt afford to miss. :wink:

The_Horde
17-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Seems a good signing, if he is fit, but as someone has already said, itīs width and pace the team needs.

Maybe we just need to move the ball quicker in forward areas as opposed to needing width.

Also, even if we do, I'd say right at this moment in time we're definitely in need of central midfield players far more than luxury wide players with our injury issues.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I hate missing pretty season. I hate spell check - Pre-season

neil7908
17-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Delighted with this. My only concerns are the short time we have him for (although I'm hoping we will extend things come January) and also, where will he play?

I'm presuming behind the strikers and Shinnie will be pushed back for now but I'm not convinced how balanced that midfield will be.

ancient hibee
17-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Maybe we just need to move the ball quicker in forward areas as opposed to needing width.

Also, even if we do, I'd say right at this moment in time we're definitely in need of central midfield players far more than luxury wide players with our injury issues.
I think what we need out wide is someone who can then put the ball where it matters.

Carheenlea
17-12-2016, 12:12 PM
We have not signed a Frank Sauzee or a Joe Harper, and I`m not really interested in comparing those or anyone else with our new signing.
Instead, we have signed a top class footballer in Kris Commons and everyone should really be looking forward to seeing him contribute to the team in a Hibs shirt.

Scouse Hibee
17-12-2016, 12:16 PM
His fitness may be in doubt but his quality isn't. For that reason I hope he is involved straight away from today and builds his fitness with game time.

snooky
17-12-2016, 12:16 PM
He looks good on paper however, I think I'll wait and see if he still looks good on grass before I pass judgement.

jacomo
17-12-2016, 12:24 PM
i really think that's an over statement though - liam miller played for man utd, and stokes won more trophies. vaz te really should have been the best signing since sauzee in terms of raw ability, but he wasn't interested. commons found his level in the SPL, because you don't need to be as quick as you do down south. he really should piss all over this league...but then, so should hibs, and here we are...

again...i think commons is a great signing, just...calm down :aok: :wink:

In terms of biggest signings, what matters is not their cv but what they bring to the team. Our team.

You could argue that Boozy was the biggest signing since Sauzee, because of the influence he had on our play.

ekhibee
17-12-2016, 12:26 PM

He's an emergency loan deal for a month, there's no guarantee he'll be playing with McGinn, in fact he could off by the time McGinn comes back. Apart from Larrson, he must be one of the best deals Celtic have ever made as he only cost them Ģ300k. I wouldn't be comparing him to Sauzee, they're very different players who often played in different positions. Sauzee, IMO was the better all-round player but Commons scored far more goals, all at different levels. I totally agree with the rest of what you say, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the short time he's going to be with us, unless of course, that's extended.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2016, 01:58 PM
I have met you Andy, you are right, that was one season you couldnt afford to miss. :wink:

One man's pretty is another man's turgid.

Swedish hibee
17-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Well. Today's the day...

iwasthere1972
17-12-2016, 02:17 PM
[/B]PS - When he signed him, ET told us Harper was the biggest signing the club had ever made. What we didn't realise until we saw Mr Harper was that Ned was referring to his waistline. The first time I ever saw a 'footballer' with a six-pack that outdid the Michelin Man's ...

:greengrin 40 years on and still having nightmares.

HoboHarry
17-12-2016, 02:37 PM

Glad to see you are mellowing Doddie..... :wink:

Iceman1875
17-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Big question... will he start? [emoji13]

superbam
17-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Big question... will he start? [emoji13]

Chick Young "understands" that he definitely will start

Iceman1875
17-12-2016, 03:19 PM

Hope so!

Brightside
he is starting

Heisenberg
He is starting.

17-12-2016, 03:23 PM

I just don't think he understands

Speedy
17-12-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm surprised we're getting away with the emergency loan while we're able to field a full squad.

Anyway, happy to take him.

Franck Stanton
17-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Just been revealed on TV that Dundee Unt tried to sign Commons on Emergency loan. To all those doubting him I ask " Would you rather he played for us or them ? "

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Just been revealed on TV that Dundee Unt tried to sign Commons on Emergency loan. To all those doubting him I ask " Would you rather he played for us or them ? "

I wish folk wouldnt talk so much crap, nobody is doubting his ability, they are worried about his fitness, and remember he's only signed for a month.

MacGruber
17-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Sorry if already been covered

Is it not 15the Jan for emergency loan
Because can't loan longer outside window. Emergency loan is only for so long so signing that now but most likely the end if season loan contract agreed for window?

--------
17-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Glad to see you are mellowing Doddie..... :wink:

MELLOWING????????????

I posted that lot before I watched the game tonight. Right now I'm nine-tenths homicidal.

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

... and I have to take Christmas services tomorrow .... :take that

HoboHarry
17-12-2016, 09:20 PM
MELLOWING????????????

I posted that lot before I watched the game tonight. Right now I'm nine-tenths homicidal.

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

... and I have to take Christmas services tomorrow .... :take that
We would have won 5-0 today if Joe Harper had been in his prime and in our team. There - that should make you 100% homicidal now......

Sammy7nil
18-12-2016, 06:47 PM
He did enough in the second half to suggest he will be an assest in this league.

Betty Boop
19-12-2016, 10:30 AM
According to Commons he is only looking to be here for the four weeks, and doesn't want to leave Celtic.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/kris-commons-not-looking-beyond-hibs-emergency-loan-spell-1-4320632

Beefster
19-12-2016, 10:36 AM
According to Commons he is only looking to be here for the four weeks, and doesn't want to leave Celtic.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/kris-commons-not-looking-beyond-hibs-emergency-loan-spell-1-4320632

He doesn't say that he is only looking to be here for four weeks. He says that he isn't looking beyond the four weeks. I took that to mean that he has no idea if he'll be here longer but there isn't a plan/agreement in place right now.

The_Horde
19-12-2016, 12:20 PM

He's going to say these things because Celtic don't want him. But they're obviously at loggerheads about a pay off deal.

Heisenberg
08-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Latest from his agent...

Martin Reilly ‏@martinjreilly69 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69) Jan 6 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69/status/817490861974024193) A huge thanks to everyone @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) for giving @kcommons15 (https://twitter.com/kcommons15) a chance to play football again. Special thanks to Neil and the board. #hibs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/hibs?src=hash)

A question about Commons staying...not sure what to make of his answer. Doesn't sound like its a foregone conclusion.

Stephen ‏@Stiggers1888 (https://twitter.com/Stiggers1888) Jan 6 (https://twitter.com/Stiggers1888/status/817493055880171520)
@martinjreilly69 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69) @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) @kcommons15 (https://twitter.com/kcommons15) Any plans for Kris to extend his loan spell to the end of the season?

Martin Reilly ‏@martinjreilly69 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69)
@Stiggers1888 (https://twitter.com/Stiggers1888) @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) @kcommons15 (https://twitter.com/kcommons15) , unfortunately that's out our hands but he has had a great time at @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) great club.

tamig
08-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Latest from his agent...

Martin Reilly ‏@martinjreilly69 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69) Jan 6 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69/status/817490861974024193) A huge thanks to everyone @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) for giving @kcommons15 (https://twitter.com/kcommons15) a chance to play football again. Special thanks to Neil and the board. #hibs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/hibs?src=hash)

A question about him staying...not sure what to make of that answer :confused:

Stephen ‏@Stiggers1888 (https://twitter.com/Stiggers1888) Jan 6 (https://twitter.com/Stiggers1888/status/817493055880171520)
@martinjreilly69 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69) @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) @kcommons15 (https://twitter.com/kcommons15) Any plans for Kris to extend his loan spell to the end of the season?

Martin Reilly ‏@martinjreilly69 (https://twitter.com/martinjreilly69)
@Stiggers1888 (https://twitter.com/Stiggers1888) @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) @kcommons15 (https://twitter.com/kcommons15) , unfortunately that's out our hands but he has had a great time at @HibsOfficial (https://twitter.com/HibsOfficial) great club.
I'd take it that means it's now down to talks between the clubs to agree the terms of the deal.

Hibee Mac
08-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Doesn't sound like he's staying then. Tbh I feel he's played his part anyway, won us the game at Falkirk which was huge and stepped into a threadbare midfield to do a job without really standing out.

Mcginn and fyvie back now, Bartley playing well Scott Martin proving he's capable to step in, I'm happy with that.

greenlex
08-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Looks like it might be up to Celtic.

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 05:09 PM
I think it's vital that he signs until the end of the season.

I really hope it can be agreed.

Tom Hart RIP
08-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Suggestion in press that 2xMLS teams and 2x English championship teams want him. The article said we are paying Ģ2k per week, 10% of his wages.

cleanyman
08-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Was there not an article last month where he said he was settled in Scotland?

A move abroad for a year at the age of 33 wouldn't be attractive surely

HoboHarry
08-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Really would like to see him stay, but McGinn being back softens the blow a little if he leaves......

Pete
08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
A move abroad for a year at the age of 33 wouldn't be attractive surely

It depends how much someone is willing to pay him. It could become very attractive.

erin go bragh
08-01-2017, 05:30 PM
It depends how much someone is willing to pay him. It could become very attractive.

He has made plenty cash at Celtic. His wife and kids are settled in Glasgow.
Can't see him moving for cash . Imo .

MWHIBBIES
08-01-2017, 06:40 PM
A guy at the Morton game told me he was staying and the source was the player himself...I was sceptical to say the least.

houstonhibbee
08-01-2017, 06:42 PM
He has made plenty cash at Celtic. His wife and kids are settled in Glasgow.
Can't see him moving for cash . Imo .
Apparently his agent when asked if he would stay said its out of their hands and as he's under contract to Celtic until end of season seems like it's up to Celtic as they are paying his wages. If someone offers to pay a larger slice of his wages than Hibs then Celtic would presumably put him out on loan to that club wherever they are. Not sure if they could insist he goes to US though. I assume Commons can refuse something unreasonable to his family but wouldn't rule out England probably.
As Celtic were happy with current arrangement sand Commons obviously is, ee no reason why they wouldn't extend it. Maybe will ask Hibs for a slightly larger slice of his wages?

houstonhibbee
08-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Apparently his agent when asked if he would stay said its out of their hands and as he's under contract to Celtic until end of season seems like it's up to Celtic as they are paying his wages. If someone offers to pay a larger slice of his wages than Hibs then Celtic would presumably put him out on loan to that club wherever they are. Not sure if they could insist he goes to US though. I assume Commons can refuse something unreasonable to his family but wouldn't rule out England probably.
As Celtic were happy with current arrangement sand Commons obviously is, ee no reason why they wouldn't extend it. Maybe will ask Hibs for a slightly larger slice of his wages?
Also will anyone offer to buy him for say nothing and pay him 20k per week until May?. I doubt it - so he's unlikely to accept a permanent move for less money when he already has a contract.

greenlex
08-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Celtic cannot make Commons go anywhere he doesn't want to just like Stokes last Jan when they wanted him to go south to a club paying a bigger percentage if his wage. Stokes wanted to be at Hibs and so it happened. Assuming Commons wants to be at ER Hibs and Celtic will do business.

Nicho87
08-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Fingers crosses he stays. A player of his quality is something we should be praying for to stay.

noz
08-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Tam McManus on Sportscene saying we dont need Commons, dont agree personally.
He gives us that edge which can prove vital come the end of the season (eg Falkirk).
Hes not stood out that much so far, but remember Stokes took a bit of time to get going.

Foritza
08-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Hibs should push the boat out to keep KC on loan until the end of the season, he has an aura around him, when playing other teams in this league, you can hear them claim already we can't compete with their [Hibs'] budget and so a defeatist attitude from their managers is already extoled to their players. Falkirk and Dundee Utd latest examples. We are the biggest club n this league by far. So let's prove it. You can see the already an upsurge in the teams & fans confidence over the last 2 games that prior to KC being here may not have been the case.