PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Benefit from your Taxi Fare

macca70
12-12-2016, 06:22 PM
I know this was set up a while ago but not sure many folk are aware.

I don't use Taxi's all that often but when I do, I use the Hibs Taxi app set up through Capital Cars.

Booked 1 on Saturday and he was telling me Hibs get sent 20% of the fair, which as a 1 off might only be a couple of pound but if everyone used it, could add up. I hope the 20% does actually go to Hibs as that's the terms on the app.

I have never had any probs and would highly recommend it, you can order it all through an app on your phone.

The app is Hibs Taxi 1875, if it benefits the club why wouldn't we use it? Hibs could do quite well out of it, especially this time of year:

With the partnership between Hibernian FC and Capital Cars, every time you travel your football club will benefit. Capital Cars will pass on your 20% saving off the metered fare directly to Hibernian FC. You will also benefit from a priority service as well! All savings generated go back to the club in full. What is saved is what the club receives. You will also be entitled to competitive set fare rates to away games with a percentage passed on to Hibernian FC. We can accommodate up to 8 traveling. See in app for pricing with rates from £7.50 per person return.
The brand new Smart Booker 2 App allows you to make a booking in just 3 taps using Quick Book! Our booking office is fully licensed by Edinburgh Council and all our private hire taxi cars and drivers are fully licensed and insured. With over 300 vehicles ranging from saloon cars to 8 seater MPV’s, you can trust us to pick you up quickly and safely.

Using the app, you can:
•20% of all metered fares passed on to Hibernian FC
•You will receive a PRIORITY service
•Set fare to away games for up to 8 people travelling from £7.50 per person return
•See all “Available” cars near you
•See all “Soon to Clear” cars near you
•See all cars near you
•See an ETA for your booking
•Get a Quote for your journey
•Make a booking
•Add multiple pick-ups (Vias) to your booking
•Choose the vehicle type, Saloon, Estate, MPV…
•Edit a booking
•Check the status of your booking
•Cancel a booking
•Book a return trip
•Track your booked vehicle on a map
•See a picture of your driver
•Contact your driver via the app
•Manage your previous bookings
•Manage your favourite addresses
•Pay by Cash, Card or Account
•Have a message automatically sent to a “Buddy” when your car arrives so they can track where you are.
•While you’re in the vehicle, trigger a “Track Me” message to a contact so you can feel secure in the knowledge they know where you are.
•Receive an email confirmation on each booking
•Receive a Text-Back or Ring-Back alert on arrival of your vehicle
•Connect with the our Twitter and Facebook pages

soupy
12-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Private hire car, not a taxi 😉

macca70
12-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Would also be good to hear from the club if they do actually receive anything from Capital Cars.

Scouse Hibee
12-12-2016, 06:36 PM
I know this was set up a while ago but not sure many folk are aware.

I don't use Taxi's all that often but when I do, I use the Hibs Taxi app set up through Capital Cars.

Booked 1 on Saturday and he was telling me Hibs get sent 20% of the fair, which as a 1 off might only be a couple of pound but if everyone used it, could add up. I hope the 20% does actually go to Hibs as that's the terms on the app.

I have never had any probs and would highly recommend it, you can order it all through an app on your phone.

The app is Hibs Taxi 1875, if it benefits the club why wouldn't we use it? Hibs could do quite well out of it, especially this time of year:

With the partnership between Hibernian FC and Capital Cars, every time you travel your football club will benefit. Capital Cars will pass on your 20% saving off the metered fare directly to Hibernian FC. You will also benefit from a priority service as well! All savings generated go back to the club in full. What is saved is what the club receives. You will also be entitled to competitive set fare rates to away games with a percentage passed on to Hibernian FC. We can accommodate up to 8 traveling. See in app for pricing with rates from £7.50 per person return.
The brand new Smart Booker 2 App allows you to make a booking in just 3 taps using Quick Book! Our booking office is fully licensed by Edinburgh Council and all our private hire taxi cars and drivers are fully licensed and insured. With over 300 vehicles ranging from saloon cars to 8 seater MPV’s, you can trust us to pick you up quickly and safely.

Using the app, you can:
•20% of all metered fares passed on to Hibernian FC
•You will receive a PRIORITY service
•Set fare to away games for up to 8 people travelling from £7.50 per person return
•See all “Available” cars near you
•See all “Soon to Clear” cars near you
•See all cars near you
•Get a Quote for your journey
•Make a booking
•Add multiple pick-ups (Vias) to your booking
•Choose the vehicle type, Saloon, Estate, MPV…
•Edit a booking
•Check the status of your booking
•Cancel a booking
•Book a return trip
•Track your booked vehicle on a map
•See a picture of your driver
•Contact your driver via the app
•Manage your previous bookings
•Manage your favourite addresses
•Pay by Cash, Card or Account
•Have a message automatically sent to a “Buddy” when your car arrives so they can track where you are.
•While you’re in the vehicle, trigger a “Track Me” message to a contact so you can feel secure in the knowledge they know where you are.
•Receive an email confirmation on each booking
•Receive a Text-Back or Ring-Back alert on arrival of your vehicle
•Connect with the our Twitter and Facebook pages

You forgot to mention that you also get to navigate yourself as the useless drivers are clueless :-)

My_Wife_Camille
12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Private hires are much better than black cabs. The only people I know who disagree are black cab drivers who are mad that the better private hires are taking their business

BSEJVT
12-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Private hires are much better than black cabs. The only people I know who disagree are black cab drivers who are mad that the better private hires are taking their business

Couldn't disagree more

I wouldn't use a Private Hire Car

If I wanted to get ferried about in some skanky motor I would buy one

And no I am not a Black Cab Driver

macca70
12-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Wasn't really meant to be a black cab v private hire debate. My experience of using these guys has always been positive, when the Job comes through must say it's from Hibs Account as they seem to think they are picking up a player or club official.

Just highlighting that If your happy to use Private Hire, why not set up this app to financially benefit the club.

Scouse Hibee
12-12-2016, 07:02 PM

Disagree completely,black cab every time for me.

The_Horde
12-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Disagree. I'd rather pay the extra and stay safe behind the glass. God knows who's driving some of these private hires. Do they get PVG checks?

Albanian Hibs
12-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Disagree. I'd rather pay the extra and stay safe behind the glass. God knows who's driving some of these private hires. Do they get PVG checks?

Think they only get checks if they do school runs or work for edinburgh city ph as they have the airport.

My husband drives for capital. My dad is a black cab driver. Love their "banter" when they get together for a chat about work!

Itsnoteasy
12-12-2016, 08:00 PM

They are only moaning as they are undercutting them for costs. It's a bit like the polish tradesmen. Come over here undercut the costs. But guess what no public liability insurance & they can do it all. Not got the qualifications to sign off jobs blah blah blah. Black cabs for me all the way. Clean & reliable.

Jack
12-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Don't ment Ub...

Cameron1875
12-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Dangerous post when Black Cab drivers are likely to be on this forum?!:wink:

Personally never use private hire but can see the appeal to some. I'm a bit disappointed Hibs got into bed with a firm like that though.

SunshineOnLeith
12-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Don't these guys offer 20% off the metered fare anyway? If it's the 777-7777 guys then they definitely do.

Clever marketing but you're in effect paying a 'Hibs premium' rather than them giving anything up.

macca70
12-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Don't these guys offer 20% off the metered fare anyway? If it's the 777-7777 guys then they definitely do.

Clever marketing but you're in effect paying a 'Hibs premium' rather than them giving anything up.

Yeah, just means your 20% discount goes to hibs

Cletus
12-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Seems a good idea to help the club. I use private hire taxis and black taxis. Find the private hire taxi drivers are usually friendlier whereas a lot of the black taxi drivers tend to be surly and unfriendly. Just my experience. Customer care refresher courses needed!

SunshineOnLeith
12-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Yeah, just means your 20% discount goes to hibs

Meh, if I want to pay full price for a taxi, I'll get a taxi.

Forthview
12-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Seems a good idea to help the club. I use private hire taxis and black taxis. Find the private hire taxi drivers are usually friendlier whereas a lot of the black taxi drivers tend to be surly and unfriendly. Just my experience. Customer care refresher courses needed!

I don't think private private taxis exist in Edinburgh.

J-C
13-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Think they only get checks if they do school runs or work for edinburgh city ph as they have the airport.

My husband drives for capital. My dad is a black cab driver. Love their "banter" when they get together for a chat about work!

We all have to have police checks to be able to drive taxi's and even the private hire guys too but how do you check a driver who's only been in the country a year or so. When I fill in my licence form, I have to go back as far when I was a kid and put everything down, that's how far back they check nowadays. There's a big grey area right now concerning the foreign drivers, both taxi and private hire ones and that's their background history check.

Albanian Hibs
13-12-2016, 12:05 PM
We all have to have police checks to be able to drive taxi's and even the private hire guys too but how do you check a driver who's only been in the country a year or so. When I fill in my licence form, I have to go back as far when I was a kid and put everything down, that's how far back they check nowadays. There's a big grey area right now concerning the foreign drivers, both taxi and private hire ones and that's their background history check.

I dont think my husband has had any checks done since he started off with 555s a few years ago. He has since joined 777s. There's a big thing about immigration status just now and all renewals have to show proof of right to live and work in UK (which I thought was normal practice anyway but obviously not!).

J-C
13-12-2016, 12:08 PM
I dont think my husband has had any checks done since he started off with 555s a few years ago. He has since joined 777s. There's a big thing about immigration status just now and all renewals have to show proof of right to live and work in UK (which I thought was normal practice anyway but obviously not!).

You only get a check done on renewal of your licence, or if it's a new licence, it's on the back of the form.

JIm
13-12-2016, 12:16 PM
So is the OP going to change the name of thread to - Hibs Benefit from your Private Hire Fare

My kind of debate this...........and its Black Cabs for me all the way (non taxi driver as well). Private Hires infuriate me, picking up off street (which is illegal as they are then uninsured) using bus lanes during rush hour etc when they shouldn't be, many of them don't even know the city and rely on sat nav. Don't care what anyone says a Sat Nav can never replace the knowledge that Black Taxi Drivers have.

Private Hire OUT :greengrin

overdrive
13-12-2016, 12:39 PM
I can see why the black cab drivers are upset about Uber and the likes. We had to get a taxi/car/Uber from London Liverpool Street to Stanstead Airport on Sunday due to the Stanstead Express bus replacement farce. Quote from 2 black cab drivers was £125 - £150. Uber was £59. Massive difference.

Since90+2
13-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Black cabs every single time for me. Dont mind paying an extra quid or two.

My only experience of a private hire is getting picked up at Newhaven and asking to go to the Bank Hotel to met with the reply "Where is that again" I replied its beside the Radisson Hotel , "What street is that on" , Its on the Royal Mile i said and his reply I kid you not was "You might have to give me directions how to get there". He was Scottish but judging by his accent from the west coast and literally had no idea how to get from Newhaven to the Royal Mile.

JIm
13-12-2016, 12:45 PM
I can see why the black cab drivers are upset about Uber and the likes. We had to get a taxi/car/Uber from London Liverpool Street to Stanstead Airport on Sunday due to the Stanstead Express bus replacement farce. Quote from 2 black cab drivers was £125 - £150. Uber was £59. Massive difference.

Every city seems to face different issues. I think what you'll find in Edinburgh it is actually the opposite to this.

Interesting times ahead for Uber on the back of the recent court rulings determining that drivers are entitled to minimum wage, holidays etc etc. their business model could be about to take an absolute pounding if the rulings are upheld.

offshorehibby
13-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Been using Persevere taxis for years, no hassle.

High-On-Hibs
13-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Private hire driver found. :faf:

If you want a zig zag ride around town in a rust bucket, then go private. If you want to get from A to B from a professional driver who actually has legal guidelines to follow, then black city cabs all the way.

High-On-Hibs
13-12-2016, 03:35 PM

Nah, they just seem friendlier because you can't understand a word they're saying!

J-C
13-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Every city seems to face different issues. I think what you'll find in Edinburgh it is actually the opposite to this.

Interesting times ahead for Uber on the back of the recent court rulings determining that drivers are entitled to minimum wage, holidays etc etc. their business model could be about to take an absolute pounding if the rulings are upheld.

Every taxi driver is self employed, prices are fixed by the council and not as some people think the drivers themselves, a new taxi starts at around £34,000 whereas a car for a Private hire will be an Octavia at around £7-8,000. All cabbies have to sit a test called a Brief, which isn't just streets, it includes hotels, nursing homes, restaurants/pubs, places of interest, schools and company buildings.
Add into the costs of starting up as a cabbie the cost of the licence plate itself which goes for around £35-45,000.

qiut
13-12-2016, 05:33 PM
From my experience with ~private hire i would be worried the money would get lost getting to Hibs.

Albanian Hibs
13-12-2016, 05:52 PM
You only get a check done on renewal of your licence, or if it's a new licence, it's on the back of the form.

Just shows you that I had no idea that he was checked every year. Licence due for renewal again in feb so another check along with his immigration status will be done then I suppose.

He also hadn't heard about the hibs fan app. I downloaded it yesterday and will be using it to book in future.

Itsnoteasy
13-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Every taxi driver is self employed, prices are fixed by the council and not as some people think the drivers themselves, a new taxi starts at around £34,000 whereas a car for a Private hire will be an Octavia at around £7-8,000. All cabbies have to sit a test called a Brief, which isn't just streets, it includes hotels, nursing homes, restaurants/pubs, places of interest, schools and company buildings.
Add into the costs of starting up as a cabbie the cost of the licence plate itself which goes for around £35-45,000.

You never hear of a skint Black Cab driver. All the ones that are Hibbys should buy out STF shares

High-On-Hibs
13-12-2016, 06:42 PM
You never hear of a skint Black Cab driver. All the ones that are Hibbys should buy out STF shares

Then clearly you don't know any. :aok:

Cabs may be expensive, but they're also extremely expensive to maintain, then there's the cost of the licence on top of that. It's a job with plenty of overheads.

Scouse Hibee
13-12-2016, 07:14 PM

Cabs may be expensive, but they're also extremely expensive to maintain, then there's the cost of the licence on top of that. It's a job with plenty of overheads.

I know several and none of them are skint :-)

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2016, 07:14 PM
You reckon?

I have plenty cab drivers as clients , and none of them make a lot of money from driving.

All of them are moaning gets, though [emoji48]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

J-C
13-12-2016, 07:28 PM
If you work 35 hrs like regular people, you are skint but like most self employed people 50-60hrs per week is norm.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2016, 07:38 PM
You reckon?

I have plenty cab drivers as clients , and none of them make a lot of money from driving.

All of them are moaning gets, though [emoji48]

Aye but remember you're only getting to see what they're declaring.

jabis
13-12-2016, 07:51 PM
If you work 35 hrs like regular people, you are skint but like most self employed people 50-60hrs per week is norm.

Correct.

jabis
13-12-2016, 07:52 PM

Incorrect.

Beefster
13-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Black cab drivers get far too much stick. Driving in Edinburgh wouldn't be anywhere near as exciting without them cutting me up, doing u-turns right in front of me without indicating and stopping wherever they fancy without regard for the rest of the traffic.

On the other hand, bus drivers are total ****s.

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2016, 08:27 PM

I see their lifestyles as well.

Fife-Hibee
13-12-2016, 08:57 PM

Totally agree mate :-)
Some people think coz it costs them a tenner to get home in 10 min think you make a fortune. They don't realise it might be an other hour before you see another fare!

hibbymac
13-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Wasn't really meant to be a black cab v private hire debate. My experience of using these guys has always been positive, when the Job comes through must say it's from Hibs Account as they seem to think they are picking up a player or club official.

Just highlighting that If your happy to use Private Hire, why not set up this app to financially benefit the club.

Hmmmm, that worked well ... :aok:

Fife-Hibee
13-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Hmmmm, that worked well ... :aok:

Lol

monktonharp
13-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Totally agree mate :-)
Some people think coz it costs them a tenner to get home in 10 min think you make a fortune. They don't realise it might be an other hour before you see another fare!you'll hae me greetin' the now:rolleyes:

monktonharp
13-12-2016, 09:56 PM
can anyone verify, that this bounteous taxi firm are not linked to a gorgie football club?

Fife-Hibee
13-12-2016, 10:05 PM
you'll hae me greetin' the now:rolleyes:

That's the idea lol 😁

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Incorrect.

You're not doing it "right" then. Brown envelopes all round the house is the way of the self employed man's world.

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2016, 10:47 PM
I see their lifestyles as well.

Do you follow them about like? I thought you were an accountant not a private investigator!

J-C
13-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Black cab drivers get far too much stick. Driving in Edinburgh wouldn't be anywhere near as exciting without them cutting me up, doing u-turns right in front of me without indicating and stopping wherever they fancy without regard for the rest of the traffic.

On the other hand, bus drivers are total ****s.

You mean cutting you up because the majority of drivers haven't a clue how to drive and drive like they're in their own wee bubble, or maybe we can just ignore you the next time you hail a taxi on the other side of the road and maybe we'll just drive past you the next time you put your hand out for a cab because it might pee off the driver behind because I've had to stop for you.

No matter what we can always guarantee you to come on and have a good go at slagging off taxi drivers. :rolleyes:

Beefster
14-12-2016, 05:52 AM
You mean cutting you up because the majority of drivers haven't a clue how to drive and drive like they're in their own wee bubble, or maybe we can just ignore you the next time you hail a taxi on the other side of the road and maybe we'll just drive past you the next time you put your hand out for a cab because it might pee off the driver behind because I've had to stop for you.

No matter what we can always guarantee you to come on and have a good go at slagging off taxi drivers. :rolleyes:

Slagging? I was just pointing out how black cab drivers enrich my driving experiences.

CropleyWasGod
14-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Do you follow them about like? I thought you were an accountant not a private investigator!
Unfortunately, having to have that sort of knowledge of clients is part of the job nowadays.

It doesn't take much, though. Knowing where they live, what the family income is, where they holiday, what schools their kids go to etc. It all helps to make a judgment.

Mr White
14-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, having to have that sort of knowledge of clients is part of the job nowadays.

It doesn't take much, though. Knowing where they live, what the family income is, where they holiday, what schools their kids go to etc. It all helps to make a judgment.

That sounds more like stalking than private investigating :greengrin

GreenCastle
14-12-2016, 07:34 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4932 This was back in 2014 about the taxi deal. Wonder if someone could update it it's been successful.

From my experience Private Hire have got worse in Edinburgh not knowing where to go - like others I've had to tell them. Prices do seem cheaper than black cab.

Driving wise - I've noticed more recently especially around the train station in Edinburgh the taxis are so rude and inconsiderate when dropping people off and turning. Rarely a thank you wave and just stop in the middle of the road blocking it for others.

The council needs to sort out the taxis / private hires - Edinburgh also seems to have some of the most expensive in the UK plus the times you really need them Saturday late night there aren't enough.

CropleyWasGod
14-12-2016, 07:37 AM
That sounds more like stalking than private investigating :greengrin
For some, it adds a certain frisson to the job.......[emoji48]

jodjam
14-12-2016, 07:58 AM
can anyone verify, that this bounteous taxi firm are not linked to a gorgie football club?

The owner of Capital is a Hibs fan

J-C
14-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Slagging? I was just pointing out how black cab drivers enrich my driving experiences.

Yes but you do it every time a thread regarding taxi's comes up, very quick to always let us know how much you don't like them.

lord bunberry
14-12-2016, 08:08 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4932 This was back in 2014 about the taxi deal. Wonder if someone could update it it's been successful.

From my experience Private Hire have got worse in Edinburgh not knowing where to go - like others I've had to tell them. Prices do seem cheaper than black cab.

Driving wise - I've noticed more recently especially around the train station in Edinburgh the taxis are so rude and inconsiderate when dropping people off and turning. Rarely a thank you wave and just stop in the middle of the road blocking it for others.

The council needs to sort out the taxis / private hires - Edinburgh also seems to have some of the most expensive in the UK plus the times you really need them Saturday late night there aren't enough.

The reason there's such a big problem around the Waverley is that the people who run the station stopped taxis going in, leaving an absolute shambles that benefits no one.
As for fares being amongst the most expensive in the country, average wages in Edinburgh are second only to London. Should we be looking at cutting people's wages or is it just taxi drivers you want to penalise?
This is from a couple of years ago, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11312096/The-cities-where-you-can-earn-the-highest-wages.html

Edinburgh is an expensive city to live in and we all have to pay more for the privilege of living here.

J-C
14-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Market St is a nightmare right now, there is no dropping off point at all and the temporary rank has car drivers parking on it causing chaos, as I said prices are governed by the council, a 2% rises has just been added which is the first rise in 2 years. You will always get problems on a Saturday night due to the unusual amount of people wanting taxi's, remember this is the main night for most people to go out, plus add in hen & stag do's, occasional rugby games etc and it will always be like that. Just think about Tuesday nights and all the taxi's drivers sitting twiddling their thumbs because no one is out spending money, swings and roundabouts.

BoomtownHibees
14-12-2016, 08:27 AM
I've been on nights out all over and manage to get a taxi without any issue when walking out of a pub/club. Edinburgh is a different story altogether. Walked from Queen Street to the Festival Theatre a couple of weeks ago before seeing a taxi with its light on and on Saturday there walked from Fountainpark right through the Meadows before I got one

Beefster
14-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Yes but you do it every time a thread regarding taxi's comes up, very quick to always let us know how much you don't like them.

If you didn't bite quite so quickly and vociferously, I probably wouldn't bother tbh. This thread was going for days before I posted so not exactly 'very quick'.

If it helps, I paid a fairly large fare to a black cab at the weekend. I'm secretly a friend of the black cabs.

dphibs
15-12-2016, 09:36 AM

Guessing you're one of these private hire drivers who have to do absolutely nothing but buy a satnav and snap a sticker on the side of your motor 😂😂

My_Wife_Camille
15-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Guessing you're one of these private hire drivers who have to do absolutely nothing but buy a satnav and snap a sticker on the side of your motor 😂😂
Guess again

Beefster
15-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Guess again

Pole dancer?

SeanWilson
15-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I drive for capital.

1)Cash goes to hibs if booked through app.
2)There are PH drivers who are ex black cab and do know there way around ;-)
3)I find a lot of the jobs in PH are either personal preference or due to the discount offered.
4)I do appreciate why black cabbies get disgruntled, however my personal opinion is that it's mainly due to the PH making a half decent living without having to pass brief.
5)it's a very fickle industry and the argument in both directions is pathetic.

PS - while not having to pass a brief, capital do make there drivers sit an exam prior to taking them on. I have personally seen guys getting turned away from a drive, having failed the test. The satnav and off you go theory is a fallacy.

matty_f
15-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Guess again

Brilliant! I love games!!

Are you an international man of mystery?

TonyStokeprano
15-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Private hire driver found. :faf:

If you want a zig zag ride around town in a rust bucket, then go private. If you want to get from A to B from a professional driver who actually has legal guidelines to follow, then black city cabs all the way.

There is plenty of scabby black cabs kicking about aswell as private ones, and both sets of driver have been known to ask me where they're going.

black cabs and their drivers were maybe great 20 years ago, they are nothing special now, I've also been picked up in mercs and bmws by private firms and by 20 year old bogging black cabs, 6 and half a dozen to me

Scouse Hibee
15-12-2016, 01:47 PM
There is plenty of scabby black cabs kicking about aswell as private ones, and both sets of driver have been known to ask me where they're going.

black cabs and their drivers were maybe great 20 years ago, they are nothing special now, I've also been picked up in mercs and bmws by private firms and by 20 year old bogging black cabs, 6 and half a dozen to me

You will struggle to find a bogging black cab in Edinburgh, the cab office appear to be so strict compared to cabs in other cities.

SeanWilson
15-12-2016, 02:30 PM
You will struggle to find a bogging black cab in Edinburgh, the cab office appear to be so strict compared to cabs in other cities.

The same cab office that regulates the PH industry? 😝

TonyStokeprano
15-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Trust me the black cabs I get in 9 times out of 10 are not any cleaner or modern than the private hires, that's the simple truth as I see it lol

black cab drivers seem to love telling everyone how bad private hires are it's getting a bit sad......

J-C
15-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Every black cab and PH car has to sit a strict rigorous test yearly, they have to be presented as almost new, which means bottom half re sprays and a pretty extensive mechanical replacements to springs/joints, steering arms etc. Even clothing is strict, Central and City drivers all have to wear blck shoes, trousers and a company shirt and I must admit most PH drivers are generally well dressed.

Alex Trager
15-12-2016, 02:49 PM

This is simply not true, my mother works about 40 hours a week and i can assure you she is not skint.

lord bunberry
15-12-2016, 02:52 PM
This is simply not true, my mother works about 40 hours a week and i can assure you she is not skint.

If I only worked 40 hours a week I wouldn't even cover my costs and that is the the same for every other taxi driver I know.

High-On-Hibs
15-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Trust me the black cabs I get in 9 times out of 10 are not any cleaner or modern than the private hires, that's the simple truth as I see it lol

black cab drivers seem to love telling everyone how bad private hires are it's getting a bit sad......

If you get in a dirty black cab, its usually because there's been some drunken ****holes in it before hand. But black cabs aren't allowed to be consistently dirty. They are routinely (as well as randomly) inspected. If it doesn't meet the company standards, then it is taken off the road until it does.

That doesn't occur with private hires. There is nobody overlooking them, there are no code of ethics to follow.

Alex Trager
15-12-2016, 02:58 PM
If I only worked 40 hours a week I wouldn't even cover my costs and that is the the same for every other taxi driver I know.
Well she must be one of the better ones then ;)

She doesnt own the cab, but she does work in the range of 35-45 hours a week and comes away with a hefty wage. Working four days.

Fwiw the argument that black cabs are better looking/safer- as in the vehicle- than PH is non sense. I have never gotten into a PH and thought it was minging, maybe it is the companies i have used.

High-On-Hibs
15-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Well she must be one of the better ones then ;)

Fwiw the argument that black cabs are better looking/safer- as in the vehicle- than PH is non sense. I have never gotten into a PH and thought it was minging, maybe it is the companies i have used.

Well none of them could have been Edinburgh City Private Hire based on the reviews i've read about them.

J-C
15-12-2016, 03:01 PM

I was talking about 35-40 hrs driving a taxi, not in a desk job or similar, our overheads etc would eat into half of what we earn. People think that whatever they see on the meter is ours to keep and spend, I wish. Before I have money to spend I have to earn £265 pw for taxi rental, approx £55-65 for fuel, then whatever is left the Taxman gets his 20%, then what is left is mine to spend.

Is your mother an owner or does she pay a rental for her taxi, if she's an owner, she will be earning more than the driver.

Alex Trager
15-12-2016, 03:04 PM
I was talking about 35-40 hrs driving a taxi, not in a desk job or similar, our overheads etc would eat into half of what we earn. People think that whatever they see on the meter is ours to keep and spend, I wish. Before I have money to spend I have to earn £265 pw for taxi rental, approx £55-65 for fuel, then whatever is left the Taxman gets his 20%, then what is left is mine to spend.

Absolutely, that is the nature of the job.

You are handsomely rewarded but you have to pay for the privilege. I don't think that you lot are overpaid or whatever, and i know the grief you have to go through believe me i have three Black cab drivers in the family.

J-C
15-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Absolutely, that is the nature of the job.

You are handsomely rewarded but you have to pay for the privilege. I don't think that you lot are overpaid or whatever, and i know the grief you have to go through believe me i have three Black cab drivers in the family.

Gone are the days of earning very very good money in taxi's, 15 years ago maybe but not now, with the explosion of the PH trade, airport buses and now trams, the trade has been diluted, to earn really good money you have to work even harder than before.

Thankfully I don't have a mortgage now and do only 5 nights but only really working hard at the weekends, I used to own a taxi but sold up a few years ago to pursue another career before having to come back taxi's. I remember doing 60 hrs a week as normal when the kids were wee and still had the big mortgage to pay.

CropleyWasGod
15-12-2016, 03:13 PM

Is your mother an owner or does she pay a rental for her taxi, if she's an owner, she will be earning more than the driver.

Back of my fag packet tells me that, unless you're a very economical driver, Hector will be getting nowt from you. :greengrin

mmmmhibby
15-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Back of my fag packet tells me that, unless you're a very economical driver, Hector will be getting nowt from you. :greengrin

Lol, taxi drivers and Hector........£2000 per year.....singing fi the same hymsheet.

Itsnoteasy
15-12-2016, 03:43 PM

What about your tips. Do you declare that to the taxman.

Alex Trager
15-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Gone are the days of earning very very good money in taxi's, 15 years ago maybe but not now, with the explosion of the PH trade, airport buses and now trams, the trade has been diluted, to earn really good money you have to work even harder than before.

Thankfully I don't have a mortgage now and do only 5 nights but only really working hard at the weekends, I used to own a taxi but sold up a few years ago to pursue another career before having to come back taxi's. I remember doing 60 hrs a week as normal when the kids were wee and still had the big mortgage to pay.

But still a decent wage.

From what Ma Ma makes it is about two and a half times what I do.

She 'makes' in a week what I 'make' in a month.

Obviously before tax and her overheads but the point remains.

I also get taxed

CropleyWasGod
15-12-2016, 03:48 PM
But still a decent wage.

From what Ma Ma makes it is about two and a half times what I do.

She 'makes' in a week what I 'make' in a month.

Obviously before tax and her overheads but the point remains.

I also get taxed

Overheads are pretty hefty if you're a cab driver.

Depending on whether you're an owner or not, you have to find a combination of the following:-

Rent
Fuel
Radio fees
Insurance
Interest on the cab finance.
Road tax
Repairs
Licences
Airport fees

.. and the rest.

So she doesn't actually "make" what you're suggesting.

Alex Trager
15-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Overheads are pretty hefty if you're a cab driver.

Depending on whether you're an owner or not, you have to find a combination of the following:-

Rent
Fuel
Radio fees
Insurance
Interest on the cab finance.
Road tax
Repairs
Licences
Airport fees

.. and the rest.

So she doesn't actually "make" what you're suggesting.

She pays rent and fuel.

CropleyWasGod
15-12-2016, 04:13 PM
She pays rent and fuel.

So she doesn't make what you're suggesting.

Rent can be anywhere from £150 to £300 pw, depending on her shifts.

Fuel anywhere from 12 to 20% of her takings.

Alex Trager
15-12-2016, 04:17 PM

That's why I said 'makes'

Top line

Scouse Hibee
15-12-2016, 04:35 PM
The same cab office that regulates the PH industry? 😝

Maybe but I have seen the cab inspector randomly turn up and check black cabs and certainly the black cabs I use in other cities would not be on the road in Edinburgh.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Guess again

Definitely a merchant banker.

J-C
15-12-2016, 05:31 PM
What about your tips. Do you declare that to the taxman.

Of course, against the law not to

Mibbes Aye
15-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Guess again

Pole dancer?

Brilliant! I love games!!

Are you an international man of mystery?

Is it that you are a private hire driver, but didn't bother buying the satnav, just the sticker?

pacorosssco
15-12-2016, 07:44 PM

Also many rent as cant afford to buy plate/cab. No holiday pay and if sick most still have to pay nights rental. All licences should have to do test to make fair.

SeanWilson
16-12-2016, 05:37 AM

Suppose it's subjective to what you think is a wedge but if I only worked 40 hours a week (and say 24 of them were Fri/Sat)... if not be particularly happy with my net. You have to be doing upwards of 60h and hope for a bit of luck to clear a decent net.

Pete
16-12-2016, 06:15 AM
There is plenty of scabby black cabs kicking about aswell as private ones, and both sets of driver have been known to ask me where they're going

There would be a lot less "scabby" black cabs out there if there was more security regarding the investment.

Right now there is no protection for self employed, sole traders who are given a licence to provide an essential public transport service. A decent wage used to be the trade off for having no workers rights/ sick days/ pension but over time it's as if black cabbies have been lumped in with the rest and been told to fend for themselves as neoliberal values invade every aspect of our lives.

Just wait until these stuffy regulations and capped price (old technology) meters are gone. You'll all be crying out for regulation :-D

pacoluna
16-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Why work in this line of business if there isn't much money to be made?. In this age of austerity most people I know are using the cheaper option which is PH with 20% off.

CropleyWasGod
16-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Why work in this line of business if there isn't much money to be made?. In this age of austerity most people I know are using the cheaper option which is PH with 20% off.

There's money to be made. As has been said, though, one has to work long hours to do so and, if possible, sub-let the cab as well.

J-C
16-12-2016, 09:05 AM

There's still money to be made just not as much as a few years ago. Even though I now have no mortgage I still have to work decent hours to make it worth my while, instead of cutting back the hours and taking it easier.

lord bunberry
16-12-2016, 09:20 AM
There is a decent living to be made from the taxis, it's just not the easy money it used to be. The phrase you never see a poor taxi driver has stuck, but it's very much an outdated way of looking at things. I only managed 2 trips to Barbados this year and the other 2 holidays I had to slum it in St Moritz. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
16-12-2016, 09:22 AM
There is a decent living to be made from the taxis, it's just not the easy money it used to be. The phrase you never see a poor taxi driver has stuck, but it's very much an outdated way of looking at things. I only managed 2 trips to Barbados this year and the other 2 holidays I had to slum it in St Moritz. :wink:

It felt like my last PH trip was via Barbados :greengrin

lord bunberry
16-12-2016, 09:32 AM
It felt like my last PH trip was via Barbados :greengrin
That's sat navs for you :greengrin

Itsnoteasy
16-12-2016, 10:24 AM
This is now a 4 pager lets have a go at plumbers when this one dies doon.

Beefster
16-12-2016, 11:24 AM
This is now a 4 pager lets have a go at plumbers when this one dies doon.

Dinnae get me started on emergency call-out charges...

Itsnoteasy
16-12-2016, 12:01 PM

That's it started. Taxi drivers are safe. Any plumbers on .net. Be prepared.

Smartie
16-12-2016, 12:15 PM

I prefer just to have my house swimming in raw sewage permanently, so it doesn't come as a shock when the pipes burst and I have to pay an astronomical call out charge to get it fixed.

I'm surprised dentists haven't been mentioned yet.

Killiehibbie
16-12-2016, 12:41 PM
I sold up and got out of it a few years ago. The price of a plate has halved from its peak which tells you about the state of the trade in this area. 13 years and hourly rate dropped every year.

Itsnoteasy
16-12-2016, 12:43 PM
I prefer just to have my house swimming in raw sewage permanently, so it doesn't come as a shock when the pipes burst and I have to pay an astronomical call out charge to get it fixed.

I'm surprised dentists haven't been mentioned yet.

You can do without teeth. You cannae go without water or somewhere to dump.