PDA

View Full Version : Samaras

ALF TUPPER
12-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Celtc fans forum on Twitter growing momentum saying he'd be happy to Leave his current club to join Lennon at the Hibees.

Silly season ...... ? I reckon so. 😁

Heisenberg
12-12-2016, 08:26 AM

His current club in the US are going out of business. Can't pay the players. He's now a free agent according to the above.

Betty Boop
12-12-2016, 08:41 AM
An elephants graveyard for ex Celtic players. No thanks.

Jim44
12-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Celtc fans forum on Twitter growing momentum saying he'd be happy to Leave his current club to join Lennon at the Hibees.

Personally I'd rather put up with our own ITK rumours rather than rely on tittle tattle from other clubs' supporters.:greengrin

California-Hibs
12-12-2016, 08:47 AM

I don't think it's too far fetched we'll get him. I was utterly astonished to learn where he's been playing, especially at 31. I know the league and set up that he's involved in and it's a shambles. High school-esk stadium set ups, next to zero attendance and an extremely poor standard of football. Maybe he's declind rapidly but I thought he'd be much better than that level, which is waaaay bellow the Scottish Championship btw.

Given at where he's at now to potentially joining Hibs is like going from playing with Bonnyrigg Rose to then being a Hibs player.

Diclonius
12-12-2016, 08:51 AM
We already have the battering ram covered in both Holt and Graham. We could spend our money elsewhere.

keep the faith
12-12-2016, 09:04 AM
We already have the battering ram covered in both Holt and Graham. We could spend our money elsewhere.

The idea that lennon would fancy holt, graham and samaras in our squad would certainly worry me.

overdrive
12-12-2016, 09:20 AM
The idea that lennon would fancy holt, graham and samaras in our squad would certainly worry me.

I have a slight suspicion that Holt might leave in January. I'm by no means "in the know" or anything but he seems to spend a lot of time going back down South to see his family judging by his Twitter. Not sure if it is sustainable.

JimBHibees
12-12-2016, 09:26 AM
I have a slight suspicion that Holt might leave in January. I'm by no means "in the know" or anything but he seems to spend a lot of time going back down South to see his family judging by his Twitter. Not sure if it is sustainable.

Get the impression also that might be the case, maybe not. Not sure I would see Samaras as a huge improvement to be honest.

lyonhibs
12-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Anyone thinking Samaras is of the "battering ram" type doesn't really know the player. He's capable of being a borderline world beater one game and then comically hopeless the next.

Not as excited about this possibility as I am about Commons to be honest. I hope Lennon isn't trying to recreate Celtic 2012 with us.

Smartie
12-12-2016, 09:39 AM

The intention was always for Holt to spend a fair amount of time with his family.

It certainly wasn't worth his while moving them for his short contract.

Budgie, Wilkins, Calderwood, Stubbs - we've had at least a few who didn't put roots down here, albeit with mixed results.

Billy Whizz
12-12-2016, 09:53 AM
The intention was always for Holt to spend a fair amount of time with his family.

It certainly wasn't worth his while moving them for his short contract.

Budgie, Wilkins, Calderwood, Stubbs - we've had at least a few who didn't put roots down here, albeit with mixed results.

His family live in Carlisle, it's hardly down south

Blaster
12-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Anyone thinking Samaras is of the "battering ram" type doesn't really know the player. He's capable of being a borderline world beater one game and then comically hopeless the next.

Not as excited about this possibility as I am about Commons to be honest. I hope Lennon isn't trying to recreate Celtic 2012 with us.

Like malonga was you mean?

Smartie
12-12-2016, 10:00 AM
His family live in Carlisle, it's hardly down south

I think he's from Carlisle originally but is his family base not still near Norwich?

Rivers Cuomo
12-12-2016, 10:00 AM
I remember seeing him playing fantastically well (and scoring) against Germany for Greece a few years back, and he showed up in Old Firm games and the Champions League a few times for Celtic. No doubt when he's in the mood he's quality but will that mood come often enough at 31 against teams in the Championship?

heretoday
12-12-2016, 10:03 AM
We don't need Samaras. Commons maybe.

It must be Christmas!

Since90+2
12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
If its a choice between Samaras and Commons it would be Samaras for me every time.

He is inconsistent but he has the ability to run with the ball at his feet and push the team up the park which is something we have lacked since Malonga left.

At 31 years old he is hardly a dinosaur and I would imagine he has kept himself in better shape than Commons has.

Smartie
12-12-2016, 10:07 AM
If its a choice between Samaras and Commons it would be Samaras for me every time.

He is inconsistent but he has the ability to run with the ball at his feet and push the team up the park which is something we have lacked since Malonga left.

At 31 years old he is hardly a dinosaur and I would imagine he has kept himself in better shape than Commons has.

Funny you say that, I was just trying to remember what he was like and iirc he was quite similar in style of play to Malonga.

He's big, so the temptation will be to hoof it at him but that really isn't his game at all.

I'd love this to happen. 31 is no age either.

bingo70
12-12-2016, 10:09 AM

It's been so long since I've seen Samaras I genuinely don't know. I do think he's a better (or was) than is being made out.

Up until his last club he's played at a pretty high standard his whole career so I'm sure he'd be able to hack it in the Scottish Championship, although I do agree with many that think he's not what the team needs just now.

Edit:- just checked, 81 caps for Greece, you don't get that many caps for your country if you don't have some ability.

Captain Trips
12-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Simple question would you swap Samaras for:

Holt
Cummings
Graham
Keatings

I think yes to one of those players so yes for me for Samaras.

Andy74
12-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Like malonga was you mean?

Not really, Malonga was never comically hopeless.

Blaster
12-12-2016, 10:47 AM

You get my point though. There were games he was genius and other games very average. I think lots of similarities between the two

Hermit Crab
12-12-2016, 10:50 AM
I remember seeing him playing fantastically well (and scoring) against Germany for Greece a few years back, and he showed up in Old Firm games and the Champions League a few times for Celtic. No doubt when he's in the mood he's quality but will that mood come often enough at 31 against teams in the Championship?

Would that not have been 2004?

Salt N Sauzee
12-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Would that not have been 2004?

Nope. 2012.

J-C
12-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Are we looking at Samara as a striker or wide attacker, if it's a striker then 1 in 4 isn't a great return but if he's brought in as a playmaker from wide left, then he could do a job, the level he's been playing at might be a problem though.

Salt N Sauzee
12-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Are we looking at Samara as a striker or wide attacker, if it's a striker then 1 in 4 isn't a great return but if he's brought in as a playmaker from wide left, then he could do a job, the level he's been playing at might be a problem though.

Think someone who's played 81 Internationals, Champions League and Premier League Football might be okay in the 2nd Tier of Scottish Football mate!

J-C
12-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Think someone who's played 81 Internationals, Champions League and Premier League Football might be okay in the 2nd Tier of Scottish Football mate!

That was 4 years ago, let's hope you're right

Vini1875
12-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Would take Samaras ahead of both Holt and Graham. That said I think Graham would give us a good return if he was played more often. I think the Commons and Samaras stories are lazy journalists putting 2 + 2 stories together though and have no basis in facts of any kind.

Salt N Sauzee
12-12-2016, 11:42 AM

2 years not 4. He played in the 2014 World Cup.

GreenLake
12-12-2016, 12:00 PM
I thought World Cup stars were going to sign for the Jambos.

givescotlandfreedom
12-12-2016, 12:08 PM
I remember watching a game and the piano pundits were doing the usual. Then one of them, Michael Stewart I think, started highlighting how lazy Samaras was with quite a few examples of him walking on the pitch instead of chasing down the ball and it trying to make himself available.

Sir David Gray
12-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Heard this rumour on Saturday, no idea if it's true though.

No idea if he's still any good as I haven't seen him play for a few years. Potentially a good signing though.

147lothian
12-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Nae we want to be looking are done nothing lower league players, with no ambition then moan about their lack of skill and ability

Heisenberg
12-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Soon as someone gives him a slight kick on the ankles he'll not fancy this league. Player who turns it on when he wants, which it seems in recent years isn't very often.

green day
12-12-2016, 12:24 PM
We could have Diego Costa up front, but it still wouldn't solve the issue of having next to no supply for the strikers at the moment.

Golden Bear
12-12-2016, 12:26 PM
We could have Diego Costa up front, but it still wouldn't solve the issue of having next to no supply for the strikers at the moment.

:top marks

In a nutshell.

Dashing Bob S
12-12-2016, 12:31 PM

100% this. People tend to visualize new signings in their prime but if he's C been playing at this level he's lost what little he has.

CRAZYHIBBY
12-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Samaras was never off his ass at celtic

Smartie
12-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Soon as someone gives him a slight kick on the ankles he'll not fancy this league. Player who turns it on when he wants, which it seems in recent years isn't very often.

Is this league significantly more physical than the SPL, EPL or International football?

I'm sure that by the age of 31 he'll have experienced people trying to kick him out the game before.

It's up to Lennon to decide whether he's likely to want it enough for us.

Johnny_Leith
12-12-2016, 12:50 PM

He was on occasion.

theonlywayisup
12-12-2016, 01:03 PM
If.........Samaras was to join us, would he be the first player who has won either World Cups or Euros or equivalents around the world. Anyone name anyone else in that category?

Hi Heid Yin
12-12-2016, 01:19 PM

I take your point but I'm happy to take players from any club if it improves us and guarantees the championship title.

greenlex
12-12-2016, 01:23 PM
If Lennon doesn't like what Cummings brings when we don't have the ball Id be surprised if Samaras was in his sights.

Mr White
12-12-2016, 01:31 PM
If.........Samaras was to join us, would he be the first player who has won either World Cups or Euros or equivalents around the world. Anyone name anyone else in that category?

Samaras won his first cap 2 years after Greece won the Euros.

Unseen work
12-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Got to be honest, I see no similarities between malonga and samaras at all other than being inconsistent.

Samaras' best qualities imo are being able to glide past players with his pace and get the team up the pitch quick.

Something we lack.

I would take him as he would try get in behind the defences.

Smartie
12-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Got to be honest, I see no similarities between malonga and samaras at all other than being inconsistent.

Samaras' best qualities imo are being able to glide past players with his pace and get the team up the pitch quick.

Something we lack.

I would take him as he would try get in behind the defences.

Prefers the ball in to feet.

Can take players on.

Deceptively quick without being greased lightning.

Quite tall but not predominantly a target man.

Will be accused from certain quarters of being lazy.

A bit inconsistent.

Unplayable on a good day.

Scores enough goals but maybe not a natural finisher.

Billychaotic182
12-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that he is a similar player to Malonga?

jacomo
12-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that he is a similar player to Malonga?

Not the first player I'd liken him to.

Chip shop Joe
12-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Granted I have not seen Samaras in a while but to compare him to Malonga is a bit of a joke imo. Whilst Malonga was good on occasion he is not in the same league as Samaras. Although Father Time may not have been kind, both players playing at their best Samaras is head and shoulders above Dom!

hibees 7062
12-12-2016, 04:26 PM
https://youtu.be/u5M7XR7i88k

Can't believe people on here don't want this player :confused:

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Genuinly amazed how many folk wouldn't want Samaras. Played at an extremely high level domestically and nationally his entire career(until a year ago) and folk don't want him for the Scottish second tier. Would get it if he was 36/37 but 31 is nothing these days

jacomo
12-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Granted I have not seen Samaras in a while but to compare him to Malonga is a bit of a joke imo. Whilst Malonga was good on occasion he is not in the same league as Samaras. Although Father Time may not have been kind, both players playing at their best Samaras is head and shoulders above Dom!

Sacrilege.

You can't insult King Dom like this and go unchallenged. Samaras has a great show reel but is not the real deal.

Captain Trips
12-12-2016, 11:34 PM
What a day it will be when the likes of Samaras are not needed by Hibs.

jacomo
12-12-2016, 11:41 PM
What a day it will be when the likes of Samaras are not needed by Hibs.

Dreamy eh?!

basehibby
13-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Assuming he's not had a dramatic fall off in his physical condition since we saw him in the SPL a few years back he'd be a great addition to our forward line - he's a skillful player who can go past people and has a bit of height about him as well - he'd add an extra dimension to our attack and would be a good signing for me.

gillythehibby
13-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Samaras is different gravy for this league. Take him in a heart beat. Better than any forward we have at present so a no brainer for me.

lyonhibs
13-12-2016, 09:39 AM
I take your point but I'm happy to take players from any club if it improves us and guarantees the championship title.

Indeed. I don't necessarily just mean Celtic players, more "players that were decent 4 years ago". As it happens, I think Samaras (who, I confess, I thought was older than 31) and Commons would be good signings based on realistic expectations of what they should be capable of now, in 2016, especially with the league we're in.

But as a default rationale for our player search, I hope (and I'm sure this won't happen) that our ambitions and breadth of search extend far beyond the players that Lennon has experience of from his time at Celtic 2012.

WhileTheChief..
13-12-2016, 09:51 AM
I remember reading on here in the past whenever we got a new manager that "he'll have good connections in the game....".

Well here we are with a manager using these connections to try and strengthen the team, what's not to like?

Its a no brainier for me. Seems obvious that if NL has worked with players before that he feels can do a job for us this season then why wouldn't he give them a call?

We're being linked with players like Commons and Samaras now instead of Palsson, Doherty and Thornhill etc.

That's gotta be progress in anyone's book!

mim
13-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Perhaps if Commons arrived with Samaras that might solve the problem. If we get one of these, I hope it's Commons - Holt/Martin would score from his supply.

erin go bragh
13-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Samaras would be just as good a signing as Archibald was .

Enough said
13-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Bet you never complained about "let god"??

J-C
13-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Bet you never complained about "let god"??

TBH I had never heard of him when he came here, I just knew he was an ex European cup winner.

KeithTheHibby
13-12-2016, 01:39 PM
He was a top player in his day and would no doubt do a job for us.

I don't see NL addressing the striker department as we already have Holt, Graham, Cummings, Keatings and Boyle who can play up front.

If one of these guys does move on I would reckon it would be Holt as he only had a year deal.

eastmainsmsh
13-12-2016, 05:04 PM
i used to think Greek dod was like bambi on ice but I think he is a cracking player sign him up Lenny

bingo70
13-12-2016, 06:19 PM
He was a top player in his day and would no doubt do a job for us.

I don't see NL addressing the striker department as we already have Holt, Graham, Cummings, Keatings and Boyle who can play up front.

If one of these guys does move on I would reckon it would be Holt as he only had a year deal.

If there's still interest in Cummings in this window there's got to be a good chance he'll be sold.

Michael
13-12-2016, 06:37 PM
If there's still interest in Cummings in this window there's got to be a good chance he'll be sold.

What would be the point? His value won't be as high as it was in the summer and there's a decent chance he'll pick up form and have a strong second half to the season.

pacorosssco
14-12-2016, 03:20 AM
Dont know what hes done of late. If past best and even when he was wouldnt make huge diff to us as needed good around. Not worth big paycheck. If fit hungry cheap could be worth gamble. Recon holt be paid up to retire if we can get fresh forward