PDA

View Full Version : Hibs matches moved for TV.

Highland_Hibee
11-12-2016, 04:32 PM
How do you feel as a fan when we have matches moved for television?

While it's nice to know we are still considered for some what box office appeal I can't help feel bar 21/05 and the odd Edinburgh derby we save some of our worst performances for TV. The kick off times are also a nightmare for fans like myself looking to attend every match possible when it's a day trip down and back.

I only managed to make the first game as I convinced my brother and a friend to have a weekend down in Edinburgh. I missed the last one and now I'm set to miss the up coming one now I realise it has been moved from 3pm on the 7th to 7:45pm on the 6th.

It's only on bloody BBC alba n'all so not only do we face the curse of the TV cameras I have to watch it with commentary in a language no modern man gives two hoots about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CentreLine
11-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Not a Gaelic speaker myself but absolutely defend the right of those who speak and understand an ancient language of our land to enjoy programmes in that language. If that means our games occasionally being moved then I have no problem with it.

Highland_Hibee
11-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Not a Gaelic speaker myself but absolutely defend the right of those who speak and understand an ancient language of our land to enjoy programmes in that language. If that means our games occasionally being moved then I have no problem with it.

My problem is not with existence of BBC alba. It's with our matches being moved to appear on it.

I'm not so sure French folk would be so happy to see their kick offs being moved in favour of those around them speaking English?

Can't see Gaelic TV being regular viewing in the homes of the majority of Hibs or Utd fans so it's doing hee haw for the preservation of the language.

Hermit Crab
11-12-2016, 05:47 PM
How do you feel as a fan when we have matches moved for television?

While it's nice to know we are still considered for some what box office appeal I can't help feel bar 21/05 and the odd Edinburgh derby we save some of our worst performances for TV. The kick off times are also a nightmare for fans like myself looking to attend every match possible when it's a day trip down and back.

I only managed to make the first game as I convinced my brother and a friend to have a weekend down in Edinburgh. I missed the last one and now I'm set to miss the up coming one now I realise it has been moved from 3pm on the 7th to 7:45pm on the 6th.

It's only on bloody BBC alba n'all so not only do we face the curse of the TV cameras I have to watch it with commentary in a language no modern man gives two hoots about.

It's bollocks and shouldn't happen. If tv want to cover the games then fine but keep the kick off times the same. Scottish football is where fans come second time and time again.

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 05:51 PM
It's bollocks and shouldn't happen. If tv want to cover the games then fine but keep the kick off times the same. Scottish football is where fans come second time and time again.

No it's not, it happens all over the world.

Bishop Hibee
11-12-2016, 05:53 PM
BBC Alba covering football is very odd. While they do a decent job, it lets BBC Scotland off the hook. Totally embarrassing that the highlights package is punted onto BBC2 on a Sunday teatime and their is no lower league coverage.

Does anyone know how much we get from Alba?

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 06:03 PM
BBC Alba covering football is very odd. While they do a decent job, it lets BBC Scotland off the hook. Totally embarrassing that the highlights package is punted onto BBC2 on a Sunday teatime and their is no lower league coverage.

Does anyone know how much we get from Alba?

Is there lower league coverage on match of the day? We should be grateful that we get a slot at tea time and also night time, rather than just the late slot.

Bristolhibby
11-12-2016, 06:10 PM
As an out of Towner the more I get to see Hibs on telly the better.

I vaguely (and this was about 15 years ago), but then we never seemed to lose on TV.

J

Golden Bear
11-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Totally agree. I'm a non Gaelic speaker but it doesn't stop me enjoying their broadcasts. That's for a different discussion though.

Babyshamble
11-12-2016, 06:16 PM
BBC Alba do a good job.lot of good documentarys about Scottish football on it.the ones about jim
Baxter & Jimmy johnstone were superb.

confused
11-12-2016, 06:22 PM
It makes no difference to me ,I know enough about the game and my team not to need to listen to some bampot rattling on about fitba.

Smartie
11-12-2016, 06:25 PM
BBC Alba do a good job.lot of good documentarys about Scottish football on it.the ones about jim
Baxter & Jimmy johnstone were superb.

They did a good one on Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners Cup as well.

It puts a lot of the higher budget stuff to shame.

Babyshamble
11-12-2016, 06:30 PM
They did a good one on Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners Cup as well.

It puts a lot of the higher budget stuff to shame.

Seen that one as well.they had one on the other nite about the Scotland v England games.suberb stuff 👍

McD
11-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Can't keep the kick off times, government regs stipulate that no match can be broadcast live between 3pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday, with the exception of certain cup games and last day of the season.

DavieRoy
11-12-2016, 09:14 PM
I think Saturday night kick offs are the best of the slots games get moved too.

Back in 2001/02, all the Scottish games on TV were Saturday 5.35pm. It is nothing new. I am surprised we get so offended.

What annoys me is BBC Alba seem to get more credit than they deserve. The money they pay is next to nothing, I understand to a point, as it is broadcasting in a minority language.

Some of their documentaries are good but not that good. The Famous Five one was okay, but the one that was brought out in 2003 on DVD by the same guy that did Time For Heroes was much better.

Sky did a great documentary on Gretna and Fernando Ricksen, BT did a good one on Sir Alex Ferguson's time at Aberdeen, so I don't buy into the BBC Alba love in. They barely broadcast in HD.

I think familiarity breeds contempt when it comes to Sky, BT and BBC.

If we get promoted, will we bother about lower league highlights? I won't.

lyonhibs
12-12-2016, 06:47 AM
A great decision to move the Dundee United game as it means I'll get to go to it as opposed to being at a mate's wedding which is where I'll be on the 7th.

macca70
12-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Seems to be mainly away games, I don't go to many away games so quite happy I get to see the games on telly.

where'stheslope
12-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Just a sign of the times I'm afraid, if the TV decides to take our game then we have to allow them to make day and time changes that's why they pay money for the games.

The problem is if you are more successful, then the more likely you are to be chosen!

Its a "backhanded" pat on the back in a way.

ancient hibee
12-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Obviously BBC Alba need the football and rugby to boost their overall viewing figures so I suppose the sports coverage satisfies everyone.

Bishop Hibee
12-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Is there lower league coverage on match of the day? We should be grateful that we get a slot at tea time and also night time, rather than just the late slot.

No because Channel 5 show the highlights package.

Why should Hibs fans be grateful? We're not even covered by BBC Scotland. I live in Scotland and follow a team playing Scotland 's national sport and yet we see English woman's football on BBC Scotland but not the fourth best supported team in Scotland. Ridiculous.

hibbysam
12-12-2016, 10:53 PM
No because Channel 5 show the highlights package.

Why should Hibs fans be grateful? We're not even covered by BBC Scotland. I live in Scotland and follow a team playing Scotland 's national sport and yet we see English woman's football on BBC Scotland but not the fourth best supported team in Scotland. Ridiculous.

Doesn't matter how well you are supported, we are playing in the second tier of Scottish football. Outside of Hibs, absolutely no one of note is interested in our league. I must admit I have never seen a highlights package for woman's football.

You made the point exactly, you are a Hibs fan, wanting Hibs to be shown, others who make decisions are not Hibs fans and have absolutely no reason to show Hibs. Will we care next year that the championship isn't shown? No.

It wasn't an issue when we were in the Premiership before, so shouldn't now.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Lots of non-"modern" men hooting on this thread. Myself included :)

7heaven
13-12-2016, 02:52 PM
A great decision to move the Dundee United game as it means I'll get to go to it as opposed to being at a mate's wedding which is where I'll be on the 7th.

Snap.
I fly out to Tenerife for 4 weeks on the 7th.
Would have had to watch it on hibstv otherwise.