PDA

View Full Version : Have we all settled down?

Paloschi
11-12-2016, 12:05 PM
After a 2-0 win that kept us top of the table yesterday I couldn't believe the comments on some of the threads. Look I was there yesterday and it wasn't pretty but we got a win and a clean sheet and improved our goal difference over United.

Yes questions can be asked of the formation and selections but Lennon put out a team that won at the end of the day. This was the type of game Stubbs struggled with as we were not direct enough.

Also the criticism of Brian Graham baffles me. When he plays he scores goals for us. If his all round play was much better he wouldn't be at Hibs. Also well done to Lennon on Cummings taking the corners. Looks like he is more than just a goal scorer after all. Good result despite the performance which is a sign of champions.

GGTTH

Smartie
11-12-2016, 12:11 PM
I settled down a good bit when Hanlon's goal went in and settled completely when Graham's went in.

Yes, we were poor yesterday, especially in the first half. But we got the job done, and in truth quite comfortably.

We all know what's at stake this season, a few folk could be forgiven for getting a bit jittery when we're not playing particularly well.

We often look at the skooshings of the past 2 seasons - both those teams had their nervous moments.

Keep the heids chaps and chapesses and I'm sure we'll be fine.

SRHibs
11-12-2016, 12:13 PM
I wish people wouldn't give this "if he was much better he wouldn't be at Hibs". That's not true. We often get good players who are at a good level and move on to higher profile clubs after; the nature of most footballers is to progress upwards. Players like Graham, Stevenson, Bartley on the other hand have peaked with Hibs. These are the kind of players I'm happy to have in the squad but IMO don't have the quality to warrant holding down a permanent place in the first team.

Graham is like a poor man's Nish, honestly. His inability to hold the line, his clumsiness on the ball, his lack of pace etc. was pretty horrendous to watch. His goal was good, though.

As for Stevenson, he's a waste of a jersey at the moment. Not because I don't believe he's a decent enough FB at this level, but because that's not what we need from him. A huge portion of his play is offensive, but we all know how woeful his crossing is, and yesterday exemplified that.

Have to say though, I don't agree with the negativity surrounding Shinnie. He blows hot and cold, no doubt, but I think yesterday he was pretty great again (relative to the rest of the team barring Cummings).

Greenworld
11-12-2016, 12:50 PM
I wish people wouldn't give this "if he was much better he wouldn't be at Hibs". That's not true. We often get good players who are at a good level and move on to higher profile clubs after; the nature of most footballers is to progress upwards. Players like Graham, Stevenson, Bartley on the other hand have peaked with Hibs. These are the kind of players I'm happy to have in the squad but IMO don't have the quality to warrant holding down a permanent place in the first team.

Graham is like a poor man's Nish, honestly. His inability to hold the line, his clumsiness on the ball, his lack of pace etc. was pretty horrendous to watch. His goal was good, though.

As for Stevenson, he's a waste of a jersey at the moment. Not because I don't believe he's a decent enough FB at this level, but because that's not what we need from him. A huge portion of his play is offensive, but we all know how woeful his crossing is, and yesterday exemplified that.

Have to say though, I don't agree with the negativity surrounding Shinnie. He blows hot and cold, no doubt, but I think yesterday he was pretty great again (relative to the rest of the team barring Cummings).
Agree with most of your post however shinnie for me is not the answer . Looks good playing deep in midfield playing passes across the park but that's about it for me I was expecting so much more from him.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
11-12-2016, 12:52 PM
If some fans don't appreciate what Shinnie brings to the team then all hope is lost. I know "its all about opinions" but surely even being ridiculous has a limit.

Iggy Pope
11-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Opinions on the current side, or elements of it, are as divided now as they ever have been.
I had a long debate last night with a fellah who didn't reckon either Fyvie or Shinnie were footballers!
That reasoning is beyond me. Form dipped last season when Fyvie got stoked at Greenock and we might be seeing signs of it again.
Shinnie was the creative element in the side yesterday, constantly seeking out the ball and space to work in. He was the MOM by miles

All this pish about Dumbarton and part-time Bollox.
The greatest Hibs side any of us on this board have seen struggled to beat Dumbarton from time to time. And Montrose.

I'll never sneer at a 2-0 win against anybody. And it was no struggle.

Lee Marvin
11-12-2016, 12:55 PM
If some fans don't appreciate what Shinnie brings to the team then all hope is lost. I know "its all about opinions" but surely even being ridiculous has a limit.

Totally agree with this. Amazes me that people don't think he is a good player.

He isn't perfect, but is a very good footballer.

Deserved motm yesterday with Boyle a distant 2nd

Greenworld
11-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I don't know what you see that excites you so much he looks right at home at this level no more no less.
But I guess that's how hibs got him on loan

SunshineOnLeith
11-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Can we drop the 'Stubbs struggled with that type of game/would have been a draw or defeat last season' chat? Our home form was fine last season, it was away from home we struggled to knock these teams over.

Aggregate score from our two home games against Dumbarton last season, 8-2.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Not exactly sure who "we" are? If you were rattled by that performance yesterday then you will stay rattled until you see one you like. Haven't seen any postings which are any different to those previous made.

Swedish hibee
11-12-2016, 01:05 PM
No.

We should always beat a part time team. The problem is we can't beat teams who are equal (we have the most money, but you know what I mean) to us, until that happens- nothing has changed.

Smartie
11-12-2016, 01:07 PM
I know this sounds daft but we've got a lot of players right now who people see what they want to see with, and neither opinion is necessarily wrong.

Brian Graham is a huddy with a hopeless first touch and no pace, who happens to have an excellent scoring record and is a handful for defences.

Lewis Stevenson is a great defender with bundles of energy and a hopeless final ball.

Martin Boyle is a headless chicken with pace to burn who causes havoc in defences in this league.

Andrew Shinnie has a great touch, good pace when driving forward with the ball, a decent passer who can cut defences open with his final ball - but occasionally falls flat on his face, hoofs balls out of play under little/ no pressure and gives the ball away from time to time.

FFS, some people even choose to berate our most natural goalscorer for the team he supported as a boy, even when he's wearing a green and white shirt knocking his pan in.

You could pretty much say the same for every player in our team right now. Some people will choose to pick faults, some will choose to see the attributes.

I think much of the opinions you hear say more about the posters/ supporters than about the players.

Golden Bear
11-12-2016, 01:08 PM
I don't know what you see that excites you so much he looks right at home at this level no more no less.
But I guess that's how hibs got him on loan

Great vision, a good football brain, hard work and more than average passing abilities. Not bad for starters, granted he's not the best finisher in the world.

Sometimes I think that a player (or players) who contribute sweet nothing to a game has/have more chance of earning pass marks on this forum! In other words the more you're on the ball the more chance of being lambasted.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2016, 01:09 PM
That wasn't the type of game Stubbs struggled to win, Stubbs had an amazing record at home.

Shinnie getting the same treatment Fyvie was 12 months ago, folk will soon realise the difference he makes.

Greenworld
11-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Great vision, a good football brain, hard work and more than average passing abilities. Not bad for starters, granted he's not the best finisher in the world.

Sometimes I think that a player (or players) who contribute sweet nothing to a game has/have more chance of earning pass marks on this forum! In other words the more you're on the ball the more chance of being lambasted.
A very different style of play this season is most likely the reason for a lot of the comments.

KeithTheHibby
11-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Dundee United were horse**** yesterday and lucky to win, I wonder if their messagboard was full of criticism?

Hermit Crab
11-12-2016, 01:20 PM
We won 2-0, I'll take that any day of the week. In contrast Dundee utd by all accounts scraped a 0-1 win at Ayr and according to the radio they were lucky. I'm just happy we won and now we look forward to a very hard game at morton next week, a place where utd came away with a 0-0.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Opinions on the current side, or elements of it, are as divided now as they ever have been.
I had a long debate last night with a fellah who didn't reckon either Fyvie or Shinnie were footballers!
That reasoning is beyond me. Form dipped last season when Fyvie got stoked at Greenock and we might be seeing signs of it again.
Shinnie was the creative element in the side yesterday, constantly seeking out the ball and space to work in. He was the MOM by miles

All this pish about Dumbarton and part-time Bollox.
The greatest Hibs side any of us on this board have seen struggled to beat Dumbarton from time to time. And Montrose.

I'll never sneer at a 2-0 win against anybody. And it was no struggle.

Shinnie was the only man on the park yesterday who displayed a quality footballing brain. McGeouch also has one but didn't (get the time to) show it.

Ardenttwo
11-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Agree with the Stevenson comment. Just cannot get a crossball past the first defender. His crossing yesterday was woeful

neil7908
11-12-2016, 01:52 PM
The negative reaction to this game isn't just the result but more about how we've allowed Dundee United to catch up with us IMO.

I'm happy with Lennon so far but we didn't make the best of our superior budget in the summer and started the season with a weaker squad than last year.

January and the transfer window will be a big test. He's a high profile manager and should have funds available. Where we are in 2 months time will tell us all we need to know.

For now I'm optimistic he's the right man for the job but frankly fans won't keep coming back in such good numbers to pay £22 to watch us huff and puff against part timers.

jacomo
11-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Dundee United were horse**** yesterday and lucky to win, I wonder if their messagboard was full of criticism?

Tbf they are in a different situation to us.

Following relegation, their fans should be happy they aren't in freefall and are up at the sharp end of the league.

I get the anxiety with us, I really do. Failure is not an option. It's not all gone our way. But we are on track.

Ricky Bobby
11-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Shinnie was the only man on the park yesterday who displayed a quality footballing brain. McGeouch also has one but didn't (get the time to) show it.

100%. He is a Rolls Royce of a player at this level.Covered every blade of grass yesterday.

SRHibs
11-12-2016, 02:17 PM
For now I'm optimistic he's the right man for the job but frankly fans won't keep coming back in such good numbers to pay £22 to watch us huff and puff against part timers.

I think this is part of my annoyance. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to win, but the football is an eyesore a lot of the time. The game was actually boring at points yesterday, which is a bit galling considering it's costing me £100+ a game including travel.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Tbf they are in a different situation to us.

Following relegation, their fans should be happy they aren't in freefall and are up at the sharp end of the league.

I get the anxiety with us, I really do. Failure is not an option. It's not all gone our way. But we are on track.

But Mckinnon knows this league, and has turned round the playing squad in super quick time.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 02:54 PM
But Mckinnon knows this league, and has turned round the playing squad in super quick time.

Yet we were told that doing this is impossible, you need at least 1 whole seasons preparation IE gimps? Quite why we need 3 is another question, but you get my drift.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Very good point.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Yet we were told that doing this is impossible, you need at least 1 whole seasons preparation IE gimps? Quite why we need 3 is another question, but you get my drift.

Think Hearts also turned it round in the 1st season as well, so it can be done with the right coaching team in place, whether we like Levein or not.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Think Hearts also turned it round in the 1st season as well, so it can be done with the right coaching team in place, whether we like Levein or not.

:agree:

Smartie
11-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Stubbs totally turned us round in his first season. His starting point wasn't any better than McKinnon's and I'd argue we were a better side by this stage in Stubbs' first season than United are now.

The criticism of Stubbs would be that he failed to build on that good start going into his second season. Or to be more precise the second half of last season. We were doing well until Christmas.

Arch Stanton
11-12-2016, 05:17 PM

I don't see that rebuilding was required for Hearts - they weren't playing that badly in the SPL before they went down and neither were D United especially.

I do think that you are in trouble if you don't come straight back up as you are in no-mans land - neither a Championship side nor an SPL one.

Lets see if DU can keep grinding out results against packed defences and also keep getting results against us.

Hermit Crab
11-12-2016, 05:20 PM
I don't see that rebuilding was required for Hearts - they weren't playing that badly in the SPL before they went down and neither were D United especially.

I do think that you are in trouble if you don't come straight back up as you are in no-mans land - neither a Championship side nor an SPL one.

Lets see if DU can keep grinding out results against packed defences and also keep getting results against us.

To be fair we only have ourselves to blame in the two matches against them for not taking maximum points. We wasted many chances in these games and now as a result are neck in neck with them at the top of the league.