PDA

View Full Version : what are your real thoughts about David Gray?

monktonharp
10-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Earlier tonight, I saw a remark, which I thought was rather flippant about our current captain and the poster called him an average player. I must say, I was a tad annoyed reading that. Pat Stanton is my alltime Hibernian hero, (captain) and another who played as captain was Murdo McLeod. Murdo was never a big hero of mine but he was the driving force on the park when we ground out a victory against Dunfermline to win the SL Cup. another captain that drove us on to win a cup being big Rob Jones for his opener in the cup win. When I think back though to that famous day about 7 months ago, David Gray was the real driving force in the last 10 minutes or so when he was injured and dusted himself down and got on with it. he was the man that took the early "throw in" to push us on. he was ultimately the man that did the deed, and will forever be remembered. average player? aye right son.

SaulGoodman
10-12-2016, 11:02 PM
He's a legend.

Gives his all every game, barely sets a foot wrong, makes great challenges and bombs up and down the line all game.

He was immense for the full 90 minutes on 21.5

AND HE SCORED THE GOAL THAT WON US THE SCOTTISH CUP

Bishop Hibee
10-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Hard working honest right back. Hero for his Captain's performance in the cup final. Entitled to free booze in Leith forever.

Nameless
10-12-2016, 11:06 PM
He is forever written into the history of our club. He has given me the greatest moment of my life following Hibs. As an aside to all that, I also think he is a pretty decent player.

kevinc
10-12-2016, 11:08 PM
I really rate him, great right back, very good wing back who needs to improve his final ball into the box. I thought he was being replaced by Gunnarsonn on 21/5, thank ***** he wisnae. Also, we seem to concede lees goals from his side, Falkirk and United being recent examples.

monktonharp
10-12-2016, 11:11 PM
He is forever written into the history of our club. He has given me the greatest moment of my life following Hibs. As an aside to all that, I also think he is a pretty decent player.that's the bit that annoyed me, when someone listed him among others as an average player:rolleyes:

HappyAsHellas
10-12-2016, 11:11 PM
I will be eternally grateful for what he helped us achieve that day, but he doesn't seem to be as good as he was last season and has had a few off games this time round. I'm aware that this could be levelled at a few players though so I'll wait and see over the next few weeks how things pan out. As a captain, I want him to be leading by example, trying to win everything that comes his way, which sadly wasn't the case today. I don't know if it's because Marciano was missing today but on a few occasions two defenders were going for the same ball and getting in each others way. Lack of communication perhaps? Maybe Laidlaw isn't as vocal, or maybe they're not just as confident now as they were a few weeks ago. Any player on an off day looks average, so bearing that in mind I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

PiemanP
10-12-2016, 11:13 PM
I think he's a solid player and a good captain. If we're looking at trying to replace/upgrade positions in the team we should surely start with the player on his opposite side before we start going after Gray. At least Sir David can occasionally whip in a good ball and attack a ball in the air.

monktonharp
10-12-2016, 11:14 PM
I really rate him, great right back, very good wing back who needs to improve his final ball into the box. I thought he was being replaced by Gunnarsonn on 21/5, thank ***** he wisnaespot on Kev, if he has a downside that's it. I was like you, thinking he might need to go off, but he was given to us for another 14 minutes by God himself:greengrin

10-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Anyone who scores a last minute winner in a scottish cup final to end 114 years will always be a legend to me!

HappyAsHellas
10-12-2016, 11:19 PM
spot on Kev, if he has a downside that's it. I was like you, thinking he might need to go off, but he was given to us for another 14 minutes by God himself:greengrin

That was then = and even I managed to wax lyrically about it for a while, but now is now and today he wasn't brilliant and last Friday at Tannadump I think Eardley managed more ball into the box in the last minutes he was on the field? Still rate the guy but have lost my green tinted specs.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2016, 11:35 PM
I'm in love with him.

Centre Hawf
10-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Solid in the tackle and great in the air. I reckon the lad will finish his career here and will end up moving to centre half at some point if i'm honest. His final ball can be poor at times but then again he's not the only one. Absolute legend and the armband is his for however long he decides he wants it be imo.

kevinc
10-12-2016, 11:43 PM
That was then = and even I managed to wax lyrically about it for a while, but now is now and today he wasn't brilliant and last Friday at Tannadump I think Eardley managed more ball into the box in the last minutes he was on the field? Still rate the guy but have lost my green tinted specs.

Ok, what did he do wrong today and last Friday? You do realise that Eardley came on with a minute to go and played in front of Gray , never replaced him?

scoopyboy
11-12-2016, 12:10 AM
I forever will be grateful to David Gray and the other Hibs players and backroom staff who enabled me to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup after fifty years, it was the thing I have wanted year in, year out since first following the club.

There does come a time however when players need to be replaced as the sands of time catch up with them.

Not saying for a moment that David Gray has reached this point but it will come eventually and if still at the club he will get criticism from supporters the same as any other player.

My own take is he is not playing as well as last season but I think the Scottish Cup itself has a lot to do with this.

The players and SDG especially have commitments way above what they should have considering they are still playing and trying like hell to get us out of this hell hole of a league we are in.

Only the other night players were signing calendars and at the end of their shift they were told to go round to the Hibs club to do other tasks, a couple of them pointed out they had been on the go since early morning and they had training again on Friday.

The captain himself is getting requests all the time for things which he does with a smile on his face but people are even chapping his door looking for autographs, balls to be signed, etc.

Glory Lurker
11-12-2016, 12:13 AM
I didn't have any negative thoughts about the boy pre-21/05/16, so you can imagine how I think about him now.

Shrekko
11-12-2016, 01:01 AM
Excellent signing even before his heroics. Great ambassador for the club - not much not to like!

Possibly, like Lewis, being asked to take on too much attacking responsibilities but he sticks to that task manfully too so no complaints.

He's certainly in no way 'average' in any context.

givescotlandfreedom
11-12-2016, 01:10 AM
I think he was our second best player today after Shinnie. And can get sent off every game he plays for us from now until eternity and I'll love him.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-12-2016, 01:19 AM
The funny thing is we always said that the captain that lifted the Scottish cup after all those years would go down in history as the biggest Hibs legend ever. To think that that same captain also scored the winning goal in the 92nd minute. It's actually ridiculous. Couldn't make the situation up. Will be spoken about for decades to come.

B.H.F.C
11-12-2016, 02:19 AM
He's the guy that scored the winning goal in the Scottish cup final.

I think he's much, much better than Stevenson on the other side.

shetlandhibee
11-12-2016, 02:24 AM
I think he's a solid player and a good captain. If we're looking at trying to replace/upgrade positions in the team we should surely start with the player on his opposite side before we start going after Gray. At least Sir David can occasionally whip in a good ball and attack a ball in the air.
this legend ndoff:not worth

My_Wife_Camille
11-12-2016, 03:27 AM
Hibernian legend. Welcome at the club in any capacity that he desires for as long as he lives. The number one Hibernian icon of all time imo. Enjoy him while he's here so you can tell the grandkids that you were there when David Gray played for Hibs.

#FromTheCapital
11-12-2016, 07:26 AM
If I caught him in bed with my mrs... I'd offer him a cup of tea and tuck the covers in properly to make sure he didn't get cold.

His skull is an important part of Hibernian history and I'll be forever grateful to Sir David Gray.

Super_JMcGinn
11-12-2016, 07:26 AM
I forever will be grateful to David Gray and the other Hibs players and backroom staff who enabled me to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup after fifty years, it was the thing I have wanted year in, year out since first following the club.

There does come a time however when players need to be replaced as the sands of time catch up with them.

Not saying for a moment that David Gray has reached this point but it will come eventually and if still at the club he will get criticism from supporters the same as any other player.

My own take is he is not playing as well as last season but I think the Scottish Cup itself has a lot to do with this.

The players and SDG especially have commitments way above what they should have considering they are still playing and trying like hell to get us out of this hell hole of a league we are in.

Only the other night players were signing calendars and at the end of their shift they were told to go round to the Hibs club to do other tasks, a couple of them pointed out they had been on the go since early morning and they had training again on Friday.

The captain himself is getting requests all the time for things which he does with a smile on his face but people are even chapping his door looking for autographs, balls to be signed, etc.

Some very valid points there and might well explain some lack lustre performances, albeit they can't use it as an excuse.

It might be time to start drawing a line under these events and concentrate on winning the League and retaining the Cup.

O'Rourke3
11-12-2016, 07:40 AM
I think he was our second best player today after Shinnie. And can get sent off every game he plays for us from now until eternity and I'll love him.
My view too. His final ball this season has been meh which has also been true of Lewis. Today's were much better. Thought he'd need to go off after the treatment he received very early on.
Gray's tackle on the half way line about 15 mins from the of the final said it all for me in terms of his drive, his commitment. That's the point where I started to get "that feeling"....
He leads by example - a good captain with or without the cup win.

J-C
11-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Legend for that goal and a decent RB, let's hope we get some width in the team so he and Stevenson can just play as full backs.

Onion
11-12-2016, 07:48 AM
One of the most committed, honest and humble players I've seen in a Hibs jersey. He's not above criticism when not playing well but deserves respect as 21 May 2016 would have remained a distant dream without SDG. Legend.

Northernhibee
11-12-2016, 07:54 AM
I'd let him pump the mrs, me, my dog, my goldfish and my toaster.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Earlier tonight, I saw a remark, which I thought was rather flippant about our current captain and the poster called him an average player. I must say, I was a tad annoyed reading that. Pat Stanton is my alltime Hibernian hero, (captain) and another who played as captain was Murdo McLeod. Murdo was never a big hero of mine but he was the driving force on the park when we ground out a victory against Dunfermline to win the SL Cup. another captain that drove us on to win a cup being big Rob Jones for his opener in the cup win. When I think back though to that famous day about 7 months ago, David Gray was the real driving force in the last 10 minutes or so when he was injured and dusted himself down and got on with it. he was the man that took the early "throw in" to push us on. he was ultimately the man that did the deed, and will forever be remembered. average player? aye right son.

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

Albanian Hibs
11-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Legend. Hero.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2016, 08:38 AM
He is very good compared to the right backs we've had since Whittaker. Wonder if the guy calling him average would like Michael Hart back?

Godsahibby
11-12-2016, 08:40 AM
He will always be a hero, a Hibs legend.

The issue we have now with him and in fact both full backs is while they are great defenders they are being asked to play a role which is not their natural game.

People now forgetting about that good things they do.

lucky
11-12-2016, 08:48 AM

As the poster who called him an average player, which I stand by, I like every other Hibs fan will always regard David Gray as a hero but that does not take away from the fact that both our wing backs are bang average players. Both struggle with their final ball both struggle with the system that Hibs play. Lewis Stevenson has won both cups no other Hibs player has and David Gray captained and scored the winner to deliver the holy grail both are club legends but are you really saying either are better than championship level wing backs?

Bostonhibby
11-12-2016, 08:56 AM
easily good enough defender and footballer for the highest level in Scotland, as others have said we expect more than just defence from both our full backs, and this inevitably leaves them exposed / open to attack when they don't do everything perfectly, for me the guy is also a great captain on and off the pitch.

He took that final by the scruff off the neck in the last ten minutes, he'd been great throughout but I said to my mate at the time that Gray was winning all his tackles and getting down the line, he wanted it and the rest of the team were playing the same way. The rest is history.

Delighted we have him.

lyonhibs
11-12-2016, 08:56 AM
He's clearly a legend forever. However, and this is a more general point, we need to avoid using 21.05 and players performance on that day as an eternal comfort blanket and not judge the players on their current merit and form.

I don't think that applies to DG in particular, but if a player is not pulling their weight this season, they aren't exempt from criticism just because they played on 21.05

sleeping giant
11-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Absolute legend.

He can have my wife

Smartie
11-12-2016, 09:09 AM
He is very good compared to the right backs we've had since Whittaker. Wonder if the guy calling him average would like Michael Hart back?

This is a very important point for me.

I've followed Hibs since the early 90s and we've not exactly had a plethora of excellent RBs.

David Gray has been solid at worst and superb at best during his 2 and a bit years with us. He had spells last season when his form dipped a bit from that of his first season but he's generally been excellent. When can you ever remember him having a stinker, less than a 6/10 game? Never, he doesn't have them.

Re his delivery - it is superb for a RB, which is what he is. It probably isn't quite good enough as a primary attacking outlet but he doesn't choose to play that role and still just gets on with it, giving 100% every week. I think he'd be phenomenal overlapping a wide midfielder.

Obviously I love him for lifting the cup and for scoring the winning goal, but I love him most for the performance in the last 15 minutes. "Cometh the hour, cometh the man", we were getting to nitty-gritty time in our best chance to win the cup in 114 years and the way he played, driving us on during that last 15 minutes was inspirational.

IMO he is still about the last player in our team/ squad we should be looking to replace.

emerald green
11-12-2016, 09:29 AM
If only more players who have worn the Hibs shirt over the last few seasons (especially the season the club was relegated) showed the same fight, spirit, and attitude as David Gray, the club would not have found itself in the second tier of Scottish football.

The club captain who scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, after decades, deserves nothing but respect and gratitude from every Hibs supporter.

DG is the sort of player I would have in my team every day of the week. I've never ever seen him shirk a tackle. Always gives 100%.

Super_JMcGinn
11-12-2016, 09:32 AM
If only more players who have worn the Hibs shirt over the last few seasons (especially the season the club was relegated) showed the same fight, spirit, and attitude as David Gray, the club would not have found itself in the second tier of Scottish football.

The club captain who scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, after decades, deserves nothing but respect and gratitude from every Hibs supporter.

DG is the sort of player I would have in my team every day of the week. I've never ever seen him shirk a tackle. Always gives 100%.

Amen to that :not worth

Spike Mandela
11-12-2016, 09:34 AM
As good as any right back we've had at Easter Road since Brownlie and a cup winning legend to boot.

col02
11-12-2016, 09:39 AM
I feel that you'd see the best from him in a different formation. At times the ground both he and Lewis are expected to cover every match is astonishing. A traditional 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 would allow them both to overlap intermittently.

WhileTheChief..
11-12-2016, 09:39 AM
A Hibs hero obviously but as other posters have said that doesn't make him immune to criticism.

This applies to a lot of that squad. I'd say quite a few of them could be described as average players yet they are and always be remembered as the legends that deliverrrred the cup.

CentreLine
11-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Solid, reliable, a leader on the park and hard as nails. This man goes in where it hurts in every game and he is a very effective overlapping fullback. Not just that, he is a genuine front post threat at every right sided set piece. He is no Arthur Duncan but no slouch either and has made some very valuable intervention tackles in major games, not least in the last ten minutes at Hampden. Oh yes, and his crosses do go in to damaging areas.
What people are watching that allows them to be critical of this man completely passes me by. At any level in Scottish football David Gray is a success.

Sadly I believe the sands of time have not been so kind to Stevenson. Great servant to the club but I fear it is long past time he was moved on. He still does good work up and down that left side but who can deny that they groan when he gets in a great position to cross a ball? We all know it is going to hit the first defender almost without exception.

The left back position has to be a priority for replacement and has been for a number of windows IMHO.

Baldy Foghorn
11-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Tough tackling, no nonsense defender.

A legend in my eyes for what he did in May.....Sir David:cb

Highland_Hibee
11-12-2016, 09:55 AM
What is "average" anyway? I would assume that means something like good at everything, great at nothing? Quite a useful trait for a captain to have? We don't need him to be our best player just an influence on the park and he is certainly that. Top that off with the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch and he's quite the catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_f
11-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Absolute legend.

He can have my wife

Can I just put it out there that if anyone wants my wife they don't have to be a legend. I can pay.

WeeRussell
11-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I think he's a good player, with exactly the right attitude and of course is a hero to us all.

However it is okay for someone to acknowledge that he's a hibs legend and still not regard him as a great player.

sleeping giant
11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
He is now immortalised in our history.
Up there with Stanton and will be talked about for years to come.

That must feel excellent :greengrin:

To win that cup the way we won it was immense.
He decided to go for it from the earlier throw in.

The guy is a hero and a good player.

Yes we might have had slightly better players in the past but how many of them win us the Scottish Cup.

Baldy Foghorn
11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Can I just put it out there that if anyone wants my wife they don't have to be a legend. I can pay.

Much you offering Matty??

Baldy Foghorn
11-12-2016, 10:32 AM

Yes we might have had slightly better players in the past but how many of them win us the Scottish Cup.

:top marks

matty_f
11-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Much you offering Matty??

You can name your price but it's on a strictly no returns basis. :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
11-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Best right back since Whittaker. And that's with the Scottish cup blinkers off.

Hibby Gav
11-12-2016, 12:41 PM
First signing of the new era, exactly what we needed at that time.......dignified, a leader and true captain.
He gave me the happiest moment in my hibs life....forever a legend in my heart and my house.
thank you David

ggtth

Baldy Foghorn
11-12-2016, 12:55 PM
You can name your price but it's on a strictly no returns basis. :greengrin

:faf::faf:

cabbageandribs1875
11-12-2016, 12:57 PM
David Gray can walk on water

he just chooses not to

Glory Lurker
11-12-2016, 01:04 PM

he just chooses not to

:tee hee:

David Gray can slam a revolving door.

sleeping giant
11-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Sir David Gray gets his bed to make its self.

s.a.m
11-12-2016, 01:16 PM

No. David Gray swims through land.

SRHibs
11-12-2016, 01:25 PM
What is "average" anyway? I would assume that means something like good at everything, great at nothing? Quite a useful trait for a captain to have? We don't need him to be our best player just an influence on the park and he is certainly that. Top that off with the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch and he's quite the catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average =/= good.

Fergos
11-12-2016, 01:30 PM

This 100%.

GGTTH

Diclonius
11-12-2016, 01:43 PM
One thing David Gray has done since he came to the club is solve the right back problem we've had since Whittaker went to Rangers. We've never had a consistent right back since then, and none of them have proven to be reliable. Michael Hart, David van Zanten, Matt Doherty anyone?

NAE NOOKIE
11-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Sir David Gray gets his bed to make its self.

He doesn't wear a watch, because he decides what time it is :greengrin

To be serious, as solid a player as Hibs have had for a long time. Sometimes he doesn't stand out, but he never ever has what can be described as a poor game and you will never see him shirk a tackle ..... he not only scored the winner at Hampden he made it too, the way he put the frightners on the spawn of Sandy Clark making him scuff the ball out of play for the throw in was immense.

Its inevitable that comparisons are made with Stevenson on the other side .... if you want to talk about contributions made in the cup final wee Lewis is right up there with anybody on the pitch, every time I watch the game his performance gets better and better, he won tackle after tackle and often in vital areas. If you want to talk about tough, how the hell he managed to get up and play on after being absolutely smashed by David Gray was incredible, he must have a cast iron bonce :greengrin

David Gray is definitely always worth having on the pitch and I would say the same for Lewis if it wasn't for the fact that as an attacking wingback he is severely limited and if we intend to continue to play with that formation we need a better player than Lewis is in the final third of the pitch.

Whatever happens both players will remain Hibs legends as long as they live .... but even legends have to be replaced eventually, that time certainly hasn't arrived for David Gray, Lewis I'm not so sure about.

kaimendhibs
11-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Im with you. Hero and has the heart of a lion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
11-12-2016, 05:17 PM
I probably have the 21/05 comfort blanket too often but I think it's justified in this occasion. Where Hertz had the 5-1 victory it was more of a sticking plaster than a comfort blanket - they were overspending massively whilst they happened to luck out in that their rivals scraped past some poor teams at a very low ebb to face us. It was a tainted victory for them.

21/05 was a seismic shift in the history of our club. We came up against a team coming back from overspending massively in the lower leagues and showed the most incredible gumption and spirit to come from 2-1 down to win 3-2 and David Gray's performance was vital - big tackles, putting his head in the way of danger and then keeping his composure to score that goal (and in the jubilation surrounding it the fact it was an absolutely brilliant finish is a little lost).

He's up there with Stanton, Turnbull, Reilly etc. in the legends of our club. He was the man to break the longest running hoodoo in football and on that day and every day since he has represented our club with class, with humility and incredible dignity. In fifty years time people will be talking about David Gray and his time at Hibs.

basehibby
11-12-2016, 08:07 PM
As the poster who called him an average player, which I stand by, I like every other Hibs fan will always regard David Gray as a hero but that does not take away from the fact that both our wing backs are bang average players. Both struggle with their final ball both struggle with the system that Hibs play. Lewis Stevenson has won both cups no other Hibs player has and David Gray captained and scored the winner to deliver the holy grail both are club legends but are you really saying either are better than championship level wing backs?

Average compared to what???

At the level we are playing at both Gray and Stevenson are very good players - and in terms of the Scottish league as a whole both are way better than "bang average".

Gray in my opinion has been a cracking signing - one of Stubbs' best - as well as showing great game intelligence he's a tireless worker with an A1 attitude - a great leader on the pitch. Technically he's not fancy but bang average??? I don't think so. I think he's technically very solid - great ball retention and chips in with a few goals and assists to boot.

In the event of our promotion this season I'd certainly expect Gray to remain our first choice RB and captain. And there would almost certainly be a place in the squad for Lewis Stevenson as well.

Big L
11-12-2016, 08:19 PM
An absolute legend, I will always be grateful. I think he is a really good RB who would perform better in a back 4 with someone in front of him, I also think that is Stevenson's problem to.

BigT-Hibeez
11-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Legend for that goal and a decent RB, let's hope we get some width in the team so he and Stevenson can just play as full backs.

Agree.. He's a good fullback, the only reason he's being slated now and again is that he's being played out of position.. Hence why our 3 5 2 formation becomes a 5 3 2.. If I caught him in bed wae my missus i'd boot her out and have a game o heiders wae him!! Legend!!!

Ilovehibs
11-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Loved him before the CF, worshipped him at hampden that beautiful day in May, still love him as a player/man today. Lion hearted legend.

hibsboy69
11-12-2016, 09:17 PM
He was Stubbsy's first signing - which says a lot.

Decent pace, great tackler, heart of a lion, good in the air, sets up goals, very strong defender, 100% committed.

First name in the teamsheet every week.

COLLOSUS.

monktonharp
11-12-2016, 09:54 PM
He was Stubbsy's first signing - which says a lot.

Decent pace, great tackler, heart of a lion, good in the air, sets up goals, very strong defender, 100% committed.

First name in the teamsheet every week.

COLLOSUS.:agree: the other thing that could be noted about David Gray, is that he is invariably blootered by some thug in the opposition side almost every week and yet he always gets up and gets on with things. to me, that in itself is an asset. he never shirks anything and if we look back to May again, that was one of the defining moments of the final when he just got on with what was needed. A very honest Hibernian captain who will be forever remembered.

silverhibee
11-12-2016, 10:33 PM
He's good at golf.

And a Hibs legend.

Cameron1875
11-12-2016, 10:37 PM
There's the famous five, Stanton, and Gray.

That's the bracket I'd put him in and hopefully not many will disagree.

He's also a very good SPL right back and has rarely had a bad game for Hibs. Pretty much a perfect captain for us at this time in our history!

Hibernia&Alba
11-12-2016, 11:40 PM
He mightn't be a world class footballer, but he's more than capable for Scottish football. A leader, a terrific professional and a big part of Hibs folklore. He'll always have a special place in the club.

HappyAsHellas
11-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Imagine if he was as good as Brownlie or Duncan

HoboHarry
12-12-2016, 02:39 AM
The only ex-Jambo in the history of the world I would happily allow to s**g my wife :greengrin

Hibs1969
12-12-2016, 06:54 AM
The guy is and always will be a club legend and the best RB we've had in a decade.

The man looked out on his feet in the cup final but won and took the throw in that led to the corner that led to the greatest moment in the club's history. For his collection of goals against Der Hun alone we should be grateful.

On Saturday he took a couple of sore ones early in the game but still managed to set up Graham's goal as well as helping keep another clean sheet as part of the best defence in Britain.

lyonhibs
12-12-2016, 08:34 AM
There's the famous five, Stanton, and Gray.

That's the bracket I'd put him in and hopefully not many will disagree.

He's also a very good SPL right back and has rarely had a bad game for Hibs. Pretty much a perfect captain for us at this time in our history!

If we're talking about quality of footballer player then, in the cold light of day, you're well wide of the mark to put DG in that bracket.

In terms of importance and impact on the history of Hibernian Football Club then the whole starting XI from 21.05 are in that bracket.

southfieldhibby
12-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Bumped into David on Saturday night when I was out for dinner. Him and his pals were at the table we booked and were running a wee bit late. The others in our group wanted to ask for the table right away until I told them one of them was a living god and we should be grateful to wait as long as he wanted. Got a picture, acted a wee bit daft telling him I love him ( I really do) and probably made the guy feel uncomfortable. He was gracious, polite and very handsome. I offered him my wife. She wasn't impressed.

As a footballer I think he's tailed off a wee bit since his first season at Hibs, last season is obviously skewed by the 21st of May, but he's still good enough to play for Hibs. His efforts in Copenhagen were top drawer, but I do think he's a full back and not a wing back.

I love David Gray.

Andy74
12-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Bumped into David on Saturday night when I was out for dinner. Him and his pals were at the table we booked and were running a wee bit late. The others in our group wanted to ask for the table right away until I told them one of them was a living god and we should be grateful to wait as long as he wanted. Got a picture, acted a wee bit daft telling him I love him ( I really do) and probably made the guy feel uncomfortable. He was gracious, polite and very handsome. I offered him my wife. She wasn't impressed.

As a footballer I think he's tailed off a wee bit since his first season at Hibs, last season is obviously skewed by the 21st of May, but he's still good enough to play for Hibs. His efforts in Copenhagen were top drawer, but I do think he's a full back and not a wing back.

I love David Gray.

I love David Gray as well. There's no danger I'd be offering him my wife though - he hasn't been playing that badly.

monktonharp
12-12-2016, 11:32 PM
If we're talking about quality of footballer player then, in the cold light of day, you're well wide of the mark to put DG in that bracket.

In terms of importance and impact on the history of Hibernian Football Club then the whole starting XI from 21.05 are in that bracket.maybe it's just a "me" thing , but I get the distinct feeling that you always like to cause an argument that is not really there. Stanton is God, that's a given. the others mentioned, are all gone although etched in Hibernian History forever, and some still posting on here have had the privelage of watching them. (famous five). but, you somehow try to "drag" David Gray into the ....average player bracket.... He will never be regarded by being an average player, by 99% of current Hibernian fans. His actions over the last 10 minutes of the SC Final alone spoke volumes of the man . the fact that he got up, and carried on , while others may have put an arm up for substitution, and the fact that he pushed on with his trickery to gain a throw in, then take it so quickly to eventually lead to a corner which............ah well, the rest is HISTORY!!!

Mikey09
13-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Couldn't sleep so watched the entire final again... Every time Gray scores THAT GOAL I get goosebumps. GOOSEBUMPS GRAY IS A LIVING LEGEND!!!! :cup:

superfurryhibby
13-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Gray is a fine player in my book, aside from his contribution to the cup final. He's by far the best right back at ER since Whittaker left and I would bracket him, Whittaker and Willie Miller as the best in that position in the past 30 years.

Decent skills, teanacious in defence, strong in the air and leads by example with his attitude and committment.

lyonhibs
13-12-2016, 07:19 AM
maybe it's just a "me" thing , but I get the distinct feeling that you always like to cause an argument that is not really there. Stanton is God, that's a given. the others mentioned, are all gone although etched in Hibernian History forever, and some still posting on here have had the privelage of watching them. (famous five). but, you somehow try to "drag" David Gray into the ....average player bracket.... He will never be regarded by being an average player, by 99% of current Hibernian fans. His actions over the last 10 minutes of the SC Final alone spoke volumes of the man . the fact that he got up, and carried on , while others may have put an arm up for substitution, and the fact that he pushed on with his trickery to gain a throw in, then take it so quickly to eventually lead to a corner which............ah well, the rest is HISTORY!!!

He was imperious on 21.05 of course he was, but are we honestly saying he's as good a footballer player as Gordon Smith and Pat Stanton et al?

FYI, I never called him average, I said I don't think he's as good a football player as those greats you mention. There are shades of grey (or rather Gray :greengrin) here - it's not just "Pat Stanton" and then "bang average" with nothing inbetween.

Pretty Boy
13-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Good player who probably hasn't quite reached the early standards he set this season (and the end of last season with an obvious exception tbh).

Absolute, total and utter bona fide legend though. Even taking that goal out of the equation he's been a solid signing and a decent captain.

Saint Hibee
13-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Given that both Sir David Gray and Lewis Stevenson's weakest aspect is probably their final delivery, why can't that be the focus of their training? Isn't the whole point of coaches to improve players?

Smartie
13-12-2016, 10:17 AM
I'd love to see David Gray get a decent run at the Premier League with us.

There will always be that wee nagging criticism of the likes of him and Cummings that they've only really played for us in the Championship.

I have no doubt that they'll rise to the challenge.

CentreLine
13-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Given that both Sir David Gray and Lewis Stevenson's weakest aspect is probably their final delivery, why can't that be the focus of their training? Isn't the whole point of coaches to improve players?

I just don't see that in SDG. His delivery is usually very good, he generally gets the ball in to dangerous areas and certainly gets past defenders. Now I can't disagree about Lewis, he is a great servant but the best we can hope for, more often than not, is a corner off the first defender.