PDA

View Full Version : NHC Leicester City - A new type of football.

Nameless
10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Leicester hammered one of the most expensively assembled football teams in the world, with only 22% possession!! Look at the stats on the BBC website, it is jaw dropping. The "Total Football" of the Dutch, the "Catenaccio" of Italy, the "Tiki Taka" of Barca - Are Leicester pioneering a new type of football? Will this system be remembered in years to come?

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2016, 08:56 PM
In short - no

Pep is a doughnut for playing so high, Leicester will be mid table.

Billy Whizz
10-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Football is not about how much you have with the ball, it's what you do with it when you have it, e.g. In Leicester's case score goals

Nameless
10-12-2016, 09:01 PM
In short - no

Pep is a doughnut for playing so high, Leicester will be mid table.
If Leicester make the semi's of the CL, do they deserve to be more revered? According to some, Pep is the messiah, but he has just been undone by a system that the glamorous giants of world football would never consider employing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2016, 09:06 PM
More like Ali with rope a dope. Let your opponent tire himself out and then you only need one or two good hits on target.

heretoday
10-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Leicester are smart on the break. And City's defence isn't great. They have a different line-up every week.

Imagine spending all that money on Stones? He might have been able to stroll about in the Spanish league but this is the Prem.

Pep needs to adjust a bit. He'll be ok in the end.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2016, 09:07 PM
If Leicester make the semi's of the CL, do they deserve to be more revered? According to some, Pep is the messiah, but he has just been undone by a system that the glamorous giants of world football would never consider employing.
Bayern played like that 4 years ago and beat Barca 7-0

Leicester wont make the semi, they just lost 5-0 to Porto...they have been well figured out this season. Defend deep and Vardy is hopeless.

sambajustice
10-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Leicester hammered one of the most expensively assembled football teams in the world, with only 22% possession!! Look at the stats on the BBC website, it is jaw dropping. The "Total Football" of the Dutch, the "Catenaccio" of Italy, the "Tiki Taka" of Barca - Are Leicester pioneering a new type of football? Will this system be remembered in years to come?

What if both teams went into the match only wanting 22% possession? Would the ball sit on the centre spot for 56% of the game?? :cb:greengrin

JohnM1875
10-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Leicester have been doing this for a while now. It isn't New for them.

Possession doesn't win you football games. Just look at 21/05/2016 as a prime example.

hibee316
10-12-2016, 10:24 PM

I disagree actually. He has been playing Football Manager up to this point on easy mode. He had a few hard games a season with Barca and none with Bayern.

He is a very inexperienced manager for this league and I think he will fail.

... but we will see!

Just Jimmy
10-12-2016, 11:19 PM
I disagree actually. He has been playing Football Manager up to this point on easy mode. He had a few hard games a season with Barca and none with Bayern.

... but we will see!
Boom.

Cheque book manager. I called him out when they announced him and got slaughtered. He's a cowboy who would eat himself if he was chocolate.

So smart he only fools himself...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nameless
10-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Boom.

Cheque book manager

I've said it myself in the past. He might come good, but it's far from a cert.

kevinc
10-12-2016, 11:35 PM
More like Ali with rope a dope. Let your opponent tire himself out and then you only need one or two good hits on target.

Nonsense, LC were 2 up after 5 minutes and 3 up after twenty, nothing to do with City being tired out.

Haymaker
11-12-2016, 02:01 AM
Pep isn't as good as people, and himself, think he is.

Phil MaGlass
11-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Whats this new type of fitba called, Blooter tae fastest player on park fitba.
Huv tae say though, it was good watching city getting humped.

Mr White
11-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Leicester wont make the semi, they just lost 5-0 to Porto...they have been well figured out this season. Defend deep and Vardy is hopeless.

Rubbish result for them no doubt but the fact they were able to make 10 changes having won the group after 5 matches is more relevant imo. Not the hardest of groups of course but they've done very well so far in the CL. It'll be interesting to see who they face in the next round.

Diclonius
11-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Pep isn't as good as people, and himself, think he is.

:agree:

Could you ever see him taking on a job at a club that wasn't loaded?

heretoday
11-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Whats this new type of fitba called, Blooter tae fastest player on park fitba.
Huv tae say though, it was good watching city getting humped.

I'd call it Route 2.

Route 1 is when you keep punting it up to the biggest man in your side and he fails to gather it.

Like Colin Nish or whatever.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2016, 08:33 AM

Could you ever see him taking on a job at a club that wasn't loaded?The way he wants to play football isn't cheap, he has certainly earned the right to pick and chose what jobs he takes.

Keith_M
11-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Leicester's style of play is the antithesis to Hibs under Stubbs, where Hibs could have 60-70% possession and still draw 0-0.

Lot's of posession and much lauded tippy-tappy football... or actually winning the game?

I know what I'd prefer.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Leicester's style of play is the antithesis to Hibs under Stubbs, where Hibs could have 60-70% possession and still draw 0-0.

Lot's of posession and much lauded tippy-tappy football... or actually winning the game?

I know what I'd prefer.Leicester don't have to play against 10 defenders every week, pretty obvious why both teams play the way they do.

easty
11-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Why would he? What managers achieve what he has then take jobs at smaller teams?

jacomo
11-12-2016, 09:35 AM

... but we will see!

:faf:

Are you for real?

His Barca team has claims to be the best club side ever, with the stats and trophies to match.

He fell below those standards at BM but still dominated domestically.

Oh and both sides formed the nucleus of World Cup winning national teams.

I'm sure Pep has a big ego (most of them do) and of course people just love to see him fall.

but he's the most influential manager of his generation - tiki taka is a philosophy, park the bus is a tactic.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 10:43 AM
The reason for this is the early lead, 2-0 up after 5 minutes they jsut sat on their heels and countered - very effectively. They don't normally have a as little, usually about 40-45

Alex Trager
11-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Leicester are smart on the break. And City's defence isn't great. They have a different line-up every week.

Imagine spending all that money on Stones? He might have been able to stroll about in the Spanish league but this is the Prem.

Stones was from Everton?

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Stones was from Everton?

I think he is suggesting his style is more suited to the Spanish league, could be wrong though

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Yeah because his Barca 'B' side, which later formed most of the 'A' side when he was promoted, was based on plenty cash eh? The man achieved everything he could possibly achieve with one club, creating probably the best club side there has ever been, and it all stemmed from his youth team. I'd love for you to name a manager who can win trophies without any cash nowadays though.

AgentDaleCooper
11-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Yeah because his Barca 'B' side, which later formed most of the 'A' side when he was promoted, was based on plenty cash eh? The man achieved everything he could possibly achieve with one club, creating probably the best club side there has ever been, and it all stemmed from his youth team. I'd love for you to name a manager who can win trophies without any cash nowadays though.

i guess the contrast one could make is with jurgen klopp, who has always been at teams with significantly lower resources than those that pep has been in charge of. i'm not saying klopp is better than guardiola, but i'm not saying vice versa either, because guardiola has never proved himself in any other situation than being the biggest fish in the pond. it's true that when he is the biggest fish he has comprehensively proved himself. we can see now that in a league as competitive as the premiership he's having a tougher time of it. I would also say that yes, he won the CL with bayern, but IMO klopp getting dortmund to the final is just as great, if not a greater, achievement.

Haymaker
11-12-2016, 11:37 PM
i guess the contrast one could make is with jurgen klopp, who has always been at teams with significantly lower resources than those that pep has been in charge of. i'm not saying klopp is better than guardiola, but i'm not saying vice versa either, because guardiola has never proved himself in any other situation than being the biggest fish in the pond. it's true that when he is the biggest fish he has comprehensively proved himself. we can see now that in a league as competitive as the premiership he's having a tougher time of it. I would also say that yes, he won the CL with bayern, but IMO klopp getting dortmund to the final is just as great, if not a greater, achievement.

Pep didn't win the CL with bayern. He failed to make the final 3 years running.

AgentDaleCooper
12-12-2016, 06:06 AM
Pep didn't win the CL with bayern. He failed to make the final 3 years running.

bloody hell, so he did. did he have any crowning achievements at bayern? obviously beating barca 7-0 on agg. is a big deal - but then again, there can't be a team in the world that he knows better, which will have had something to do with it...?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-12-2016, 06:09 AM

Like barcelona youth team in the spanish third division?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Boom.

Cheque book manager. I called him out when they announced him and got slaughtered. He's a cowboy who would eat himself if he was chocolate.

So smart he only fools himself...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Utter nonsense.

Almost every player who pkays under him talks abouthow good he is, he visibly improves players.

The fact that people are slating him because his team (who were pretty rubbish last year) are not running away with the most competitive of the top leagues, says everything aboit his level.

I get that people dont like city, or dont like him, but dont try and make out that he is some dud. He helped to revolutionise the way football is played, at the same time as nurturing possibly the greatest player ever, and almost certainly the greatest of his generation and putting togather a barca team that won everything.

Some cowboy.

muzzando
12-12-2016, 06:16 AM
bloody hell, so he did. did he have any crowning achievements at bayern? obviously beating barca 7-0 on agg. is a big deal - but then again, there can't be a team in the world that he knows better, which will have had something to do with it...?

It was Heynckes that beat Barca 7-0 not Guardiola

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-12-2016, 06:20 AM

Three consecutive bundesliga titles and a style of football the fans loved.

Ancelloti's team is showing that is perhaps not as easy as some seem to think.

Haymaker
12-12-2016, 01:52 PM
It was Heynckes that beat Barca 7-0 not Guardiola

Haymaker
12-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Utter nonsense.

Almost every player who pkays under him talks abouthow good he is, he visibly improves players.

The fact that people are slating him because his team (who were pretty rubbish last year) are not running away with the most competitive of the top leagues, says everything aboit his level.

I get that people dont like city, or dont like him, but dont try and make out that he is some dud. He helped to revolutionise the way football is played, at the same time as nurturing possibly the greatest player ever, and almost certainly the greatest of his generation and putting togather a barca team that won everything.

Some cowboy.

He is a great coach, his style is (usually) very good to watch however he is not without his flaws. Teams who are organised, disciplined and hard working can get results against him (see semi finals of CL with Bayern).

He also makes some questionable decisions tactically - high line vs Leicester the most recent, Lahm in CM when Ronaldo is wide left in a CL semi, playing 3v3 against MSN.

I'm sure he'll get it 'right' at city once all the deadwood is gone (and there's a lot of it) however he is not this supreme mega unbeatable coach some like to hold him up to be (not aimed at anyone in particular)