PDA

View Full Version : We need to learn how to play stuffy teams!

where'stheslope
10-12-2016, 08:05 PM
After today's game it is great to get 3 valuable points, but we as a team need to learn how to unlock these type of stuffy teams!
Until we scored the second goal it seemed a nervy performance, as always at 1-0 you can easily get mugged with a sucker goal.
We get plenty of the ball but our distribution is slow and lacks conviction?
Lennon has to get these sort of tactics drummed into the players as there are more teams in this league like Dumbarton than there are United's so we have to learn to adapt better, or score from the chance we create.
Today we never really played all that well today till we got the security of the second goal and we started to play a bit.

Northernhibee
10-12-2016, 08:17 PM
The reaction on the board tonight is mental. An ugly win but also a win by more than just the one goal, and that's with Marciano, Keatings, McGinn and Fyvie out. I don't think Dumbarton registered a shot on target and we're still top of the league having expanded our goal difference advantage.

Not a win to be delighted by but a good result no less.

Bayern Bru
10-12-2016, 08:27 PM
The reaction on the board tonight is mental. An ugly win but also a win by more than just the one goal, and that's with Marciano, Keatings, McGinn and Fyvie out. I don't think Dumbarton registered a shot on target and we're still top of the league having expanded our goal difference advantage.

Not a win to be delighted by but a good result no less.

Shinnie said afterwards that the players knew it hadn't been a great performance ("About 60%" was his comment) but that the main thing was three points, and a clean sheet. Said Lennon was happy enough.

green day
10-12-2016, 08:48 PM
We have dealt with the stuffy teams well. Today looked and felt boring, but we were never really in bother.

FWIW,dundee Utd have been racking up loads of 1-0 against these stuffy teams.

To reiterate, we have scored more and conceded less than anyone else in the league. Last time we conceded from open play was ages ago.

It might not be pretty, but it's league winning form.

I

where'stheslope
10-12-2016, 08:54 PM
We have dealt with the stuffy teams well. Today looked and felt boring, but we were never really in bother.

FWIW,dundee Utd have been racking up loads of 1-0 against these stuffy teams.

To reiterate, we have scored more and conceded less than anyone else in the league. Last time we conceded from open play was ages ago.

It might not be pretty, but it's league winning form.

I
So you felt comfortable after 40 minutes today?
Score at nil nil and we were treading water getting nowhere!

Northernhibee
10-12-2016, 08:56 PM

Points are awarded after ninety minutes, not forty. If we get all pissy on the forum because there's been a spell in a game that we've not matched up to expectations then we're seriously suffering from delusion.

green day
10-12-2016, 09:05 PM

No I was pissed off actually, but then we scored and that was pretty much that.

Thing is, this wasn't about being"comfortable".

I heard the report of the Dundee Utd game, apparently decent first half, good goal but a brutal turgid second. But they also got 3 points.

My point is that we DO know how to win these games, might not be pretty, but it was 3 points.

Hibbyradge
10-12-2016, 09:20 PM
How to play stuffy teams.

Maintain discipline.

Stay patient.

Stifle the opponent's threat.

Wait for the inevitable chances.

Take at least one of them.

Stuffy team dealt with.

where'stheslope
11-12-2016, 10:40 AM
How to play stuffy teams.

Maintain discipline.

Stay patient.

Stifle the opponent's threat.

Wait for the inevitable chances.

Take at least one of them.

Stuffy team dealt with.

Correct!!!!

But the best answer is to score early and make them come out if they want anything from the game.

Our biggest problem has been when the inevitable chances come were not taking them and the pressure mounts.

I thought it was a great 3 points yesterday, but we don't seem to be learning how to break these teams down?

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 10:47 AM
The first goal is crucial and it doesn't matter how you get it. Not being patronising but some teams will come and sit in to protect a draw and going a goal down might mean that they sit in to protect against a real doing. Maybe then the odd 1-0 against stuffy sides is not that unexpected.