PDA

View Full Version : Brian graham

Unseen work
10-12-2016, 07:50 PM
When the big man gets a chance in the team.

He scores goals.

Prefer him a lot more than holt

FitbaFolkKen
10-12-2016, 07:55 PM
When the big man gets a chance in the team.

He scores goals.

Prefer him a lot more than holt

I thought he was terrible until his goal. Struggles to control the ball and he had an excellent chance first half that he should have hit first time. Seemed to get caught offside an awful lot.

Fair play though if he keeps scoring, cracking goal.

Shrekko
10-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Holt probably edges it for hold up play but this team is really lacking in goal threat- therefore Graham HAS to play. He'll score plenty goals at this level - no doubt about it.

Unseen work
10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
I thought he was terrible until his goal. Struggles to control the ball and he had an excellent chance first half that he should have hit first time and seemed to get caught offside an awful lot.

I never actually seen the game today tbh, just that he has scored so can't comment on his performance.

By previous outings tho I like how he is that bit more mobile and more of a aerial threat than holt

J-C
10-12-2016, 08:05 PM
He was offside twice 10 minutes before he scored, how can he be offside when he's standing beside the last defenders, no striker should ever get caught offside like that, it was poor. Great ball from Gray for his goal though, which he took well and stayed onside.

Unseen work
10-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I think he is often offside as he doesn't trust his pace so takes the gamble.

Sometimes it will pay off sometimes it won't

wookie70
10-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Wasn't his best game but he still scored. I am in the camp who believe that is the number one attribute for a striker. He did win more in the air than Holt usually does too. That goal will keep him comfortably on top of the minutes played to goal scored table and hopefully will see him retain his place.

Hiber-nation
10-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Both him and Holt were not great signings as far as I'm concerned but he kept at it today despite a few poor touches and scored a good goal. He looks more of a goal threat than Holt and is better in the air so I'd keep him in.

col02
10-12-2016, 08:23 PM
I think he is a very poor footballer. OK, he has scored a few for Hibs but technically he is not the type of forward I like watching play. Sooner Keatings is fit the better.

Lago
10-12-2016, 08:34 PM
In my opinion that was a good result today. I am sure a lot of D. Utd supporters expected to be top of the league tonight, think how disappointed they & the D. Utd team must feel they have actually lost ground even after winning away from home. I don't for a minute think they will continue to win week in week out. Pressure is on them.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2016, 08:38 PM
In my opinion that was a good result today. I am sure a lot of D. Utd supporters expected to be top of the league tonight, think how disappointed they & the D. Utd team must feel they have actually lost ground even after winning away from home. I don't for a minute think they will continue to win week in week out. Pressure is on them.A 4th season in this division would be a complete disaster, the pressure is always going to be on us.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Five goals from four starts is decent in anyone's language.

I'm not sure he'll be good enough for when/if we get promoted but he'll do for me just now.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-12-2016, 08:43 PM
He was terrible today but took his goal well.

Lago
10-12-2016, 08:45 PM
A 4th season in this division would be a complete disaster, the pressure is always going to be on us.

One assumes your not in the skoosh camp.

Forza Fred
10-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Didn't see the game today, and I know he scored but he hasn't impressed me with what I have seen of

Him.

Mind you, it could be argued that he doesn't have much competition.

IberianHibernian
10-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Looks clumsy and awkward but has a good scoring record with Ross C and with us despite not really getting a chance so far . Took his goal well today and that was on his bad foot something we don`t often see from our strikers . If we go up we`ll surely sign better than him / Holt / Boyle /Keatings / 2016 Cummings but this season I`d expect Graham to be our top scorer if played regularly .

ekhibee
10-12-2016, 09:02 PM
I think he'd have a better scoring record if he was getting balls crossed into the box regularly, but that ain't going to happen particularly from the left side unless somebody who can cross is brought in the January transfer window.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2016, 10:08 PM
He won his fair share in the air and worked hard, he also took his goal very well, but before he scored he had a clear shooting opportunity from just inside the box and made a total Noel Hunt of it with a shot that would have embarrassed me.

greenlex
11-12-2016, 08:13 AM
In my opinion that was a good result today. I am sure a lot of D. Utd supporters expected to be top of the league tonight, think how disappointed they & the D. Utd team must feel they have actually lost ground even after winning away from home. I don't for a minute think they will continue to win week in week out. Pressure is on them.

Why on earth would Dundee Utd supporters expect to be top of the league today? Hibs were at home to part time Dumbarton who have only won three times this season and had been knocked out the Cup by Bonnyrigg Rose midweek!!!

Pete
11-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Players only show their true colours when they are playing regularly and have match sharpness. I'm not sure I can judge Graham until he has a sustained run in the team.

Keatings was a bit part player last season and people were dismissing him but now he's had his chance he's shown what he's all about. Same with Boyle to an extent.

We can afford to rotate and not leave anyone on the bench for too long and I'm glad Graham and JC started.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 08:30 AM
He is good enough to score goals at this level if he gets enough games. Looks like he is the replacement for Holt for the games when Holt doesn't play. For a player who is not a first choice, he has been ok.

Heisenberg
11-12-2016, 08:33 AM
He's scored more than Holt on much less game time. Deserves a start next week, would be highly unfair if he's dropped again for someone who has been largely ineffective apart from winning the odd foul by using his large body frame.

Highland_Hibee
11-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Football in it's simplest form :- put the ball in your opponents net more times than they do yours. I don't care how "lazy" your Jason Cummings is or how "poor a footballer" your Brian Grahams are. If they are scoring goals then they are welcome here for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
11-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Only one of the strikers that hasn't had a run of games. Probably deserves that now as his goal record for the time he's had on the pitch is pretty decent. Worth remembering he already had 6 goals for Ross County when he signed for us as well.

Don't think he's great but he'll do a good job in this league.

The_Horde
11-12-2016, 11:23 AM
I thought he was terrible until his goal. Struggles to control the ball and he had an excellent chance first half that he should have hit first time. Seemed to get caught offside an awful lot.

Not the way I seen it. He was given the ball in the first half in good positions with his back to goal but there was mostly always 3 Dumbarton men to the 1 hibee in that area. Nobody was taking the gamble and supporting him.

We managed this more in the 2nd half and that's why we controlled the game more. Getting higher up the pitch both in our off ball running and in our pressing.

Baldy Foghorn
11-12-2016, 11:31 AM
He scores goals, would like to see him, Holt and Cummings all play at home.....

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Not the way I seen it. He was given the ball in the first half in good positions with his back to goal but there was mostly always 3 Dumbarton men to the 1 hibee in that area. Nobody was taking the gamble and supporting him.

We managed this more in the 2nd half and that's why we controlled the game more. Getting higher up the pitch both in our off ball running and in our pressing.

Maybe the tactics played a part however he should have buried the chance Boyle put on a plate for him that he miscontrolled and the shot in the second half was wild to say the least. Fair play to him for keeping his head up as the reaction after the first chance was pretty negative from the stands.

hibsbollah
11-12-2016, 11:43 AM
He was one of our poorest performers up till the goal.

Has anyone seen it again by the way, it looked like it might have taken a deflection on the way in but I wasn't 100% sure?

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Has anyone seen it again by the way, it looked like it might have taken a deflection on the way in but I wasn't 100% sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OafDYlCjUNs

Doesn't look like it from that angle

mjhibby
11-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Chance in first half was not as good as is being stated. I was right in line and he had a split second to react as he was closed down. The difference when Dylan is playing is that he passes quicker and we are in and around their box a lot more. A fit McGeoch is a must for us.

bingo70
11-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Very similar to Colin Nish IMO.

Very awkward and more often than not looks pish but seems pretty effective. If we create chances for him he'll score goals that's for sure and we've been crying out for a no frills forward like that the last couple of years IMO.

That said I still spent most of the game yesterday moaning about how bad he was so I'm not really sure what I think of him.

QMU-1875
11-12-2016, 12:17 PM
He was offside twice 10 minutes before he scored, how can he be offside when he's standing beside the last defenders, no striker should ever get caught offside like that, it was poor. Great ball from Gray for his goal though, which he took well and stayed onside.

Aye nae bother J-C, we should get on to Lennon and get you into east mains so you can teach them where a striker should be 👍

QMU-1875
11-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Man of the match I thought. Won everything in the air and everything we created was through him. This website is mental, criticising a guy that's got a great return on goals to minutes played and has created plenty. Class act and hope he starts ahead of holt next week. Goals.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Man of the match I thought. Won everything in the air and everything we created was through him. This website is mental, criticising a guy that's got a great return on goals to minutes played and has created plenty. Class act and hope he starts ahead of holt next week. Goals.

This website is mental.... you thought he was man of the match. That's mental.

Missed two cracking chances, miscontrolled the ball several times, he didn't win everything in the air at times he didn't jump and complained about it, ball came back off him almost every time it was played into feet, JC put a corner on his head that just skimmed off for a throw in, caught offside numerous times. Then he scored a good goal.

The comparison with Nish is apt, I feel he'll score goals and do a decent job in this league but he is not the long term answer and not a class act in my eyes.

Each to their own i guess.

The_Horde
11-12-2016, 12:32 PM

Maybe a bit OTT but he's definitely not played anywhere near as badly as people on here are letting on.

I remember the same thing happening with Clayton Donaldson. Great goals to games ratio for us but because he wasn't Riordan or GOC folks got on his back. Now look at him.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Maybe a bit OTT but he's definitely not played anywhere near as badly as people on here are letting on.

I remember the same thing happening with Clayton Donaldson.

I quite liked Donaldson, always felt he was expected to eb a goal machine immediately and when it didn't happen the knives were out. Unfortuante as he has gone on to prove he is decent player.

HappyHanlon
11-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Compairing him to Nish. Jeezo.

I thought he done well enough yesterday considering the lack of service to him and Jase.

I've been drinking down Easte Road for almost 20yrs and never heard so many bizarre opinions on our players. Joys of hiding behind a keyboard with an alias I suppose.

worcesterhibby
11-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Holt has had a lot of game time, the manager stuck with him for a long period, but despite his ability to hold the ball up, lay it off and his strength, he hasn't scored goals. We need or forwards to score goals. Graham has had very limited time on the pitch, not a huge amount of service, but has scored nearly every time he's played. It's not rocket science...give him game time and he will score even more..which means we will win more matches, which means we will get more points, which means we will win the league.

Which part of that do the boo boys and bed wetters not understand ?

(for the record I'm a semi-skoosher and a happy clapper :greengrin)

wookie70
11-12-2016, 12:53 PM
There is a big chunk of the board that thinks you need to be a great footballer to be a successful striker. I'm on the other side of the argument and think the absolute number one attribute for a striker is the ability to score goals. Holt had that but has lost it and now plays much of the game far away from the goals. Graham is very good at getting involved in the box and has a better goals per minute played ratio for Hibs this year than anyone else. Combine this to his hard work and decent ability in the air and he has to play ahead of Holt for me. Cummings might not be the best player but again he can score goals and he would start for me. I may think differently if we had goal scoring midfielders but we don't so the goals have to come from somewhere.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Missed two cracking chances, miscontrolled the ball several times, he didn't win everything in the air at times he didn't jump and complained about it, ball came back off him almost every time it was played into feet, JC put a corner on his head that just skimmed off for a throw in, caught offside numerous times. Then he scored a good goal.

The comparison with Nish is apt, I feel he'll score goals and do a decent job in this league but he is not the long term answer and not a class act in my eyes.

Each to their own i guess.He won plenty in the air, sub to Hibs.tv and watch the game again.

Comparison with Nish makes sense, he'll do well to score as many goals in the top flight as Nish did, though.

hibsbollah
11-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Yep, clean strike. The way he took it down was impressive.

wookie70
11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
He won plenty in the air, sub to Hibs.tv and watch the game again.

Comparison with Nish makes sense, he'll do well to score as many goals in the top flight as Nish did, though. Graham has already scored more goals than Nish did in his whole top flight career, 109 v 104. Nish has scored 93 goals in 18 years of league football and Graham is on 79 in 10 years. Graham could be a very useful player for us this year and hopefully he gets an extended run in the team with Cummings. I like my strikers to score goals and both have excellent goals to games ratios.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Graham has already scored more goals than Nish did in his whole top flight career, 109 v 104. Nish has scored 93 goals in 18 years of league football and Graham is on 79 in 10 years. Graham could be a very useful player for us this year and hopefully he gets an extended run in the team with Cummings. I like my strikers to score goals and both have excellent goals to games ratios.

Nish has scored far more goals at the top level, though. Graham scored most for Raith and East Stirling.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Very similar to Colin Nish IMO.

Very awkward and more often than not looks pish but seems pretty effective. If we create chances for him he'll score goals that's for sure and we've been crying out for a no frills forward like that the last couple of years IMO.

That said I still spent most of the game yesterday moaning about how bad he was so I'm not really sure what I think of him.

Yes. The man has that Nish-like enigmatic quality to him. I too was bemoaning his complete ineffectiveness until he scored that brilliant strikers goal.

Bostonhibby
11-12-2016, 01:34 PM
In a season where getting out of the league at all costs is all that matters I am going to settle for a guy that seems to put the round thing in between the posts even if it does bounce off his erse before going in. He's doing what he was signed for when he gets a chance

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
11-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Just watched the Hibs goals, good finishes. Anyone watch the Hearts highlights as well? It looks like they had a perfectly good goal chalked off for offside at 0-0. Linesman takes at least 30 seconds to put his flag up and after a discussion with the ref it gets chalked off.

greenlex
11-12-2016, 01:36 PM

Good first touch and nice finish. He did look offside as I thought yesterday.

Franck Stanton
11-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Def took a deflection off defender. I sit in FF upper just in line from where he shot from and clearly saw the ball deflect off the defenders leg. No doubt about it.If it hadn't taken the deflection the keeper would have saved it imo.

worcesterhibby
11-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Def took a deflection off defender. I sit in FF upper just in line from where he shot from and clearly saw the ball deflect off the defenders leg. No doubt about it.If it hadn't taken the deflection the keeper would have saved it imo.

Utter tripe..I have now watched it about 20 times from two different angles and it's nowhere near a defender. Give the lad credit for a good hit. you grumpy joyless git :rolleyes:

wookie70
11-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Nish has scored far more goals at the top level, though. Graham scored most for Raith and East Stirling.

Grahams has scored 22 in the top league in 39 starts and 40 substitute appearances. Nish has scored 62 in 174 starts and 69 substitute appearances. Graham will do well to score as many in the top league if he doesn't get to play there but his strike rate is far better than Nish per game. Just like Nish he seems to be getting some undue criticism on here

CRAZYHIBBY
11-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Did we not try to sign simon murray before opting for graham.

Franck Stanton
11-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Utter tripe..I have now watched it about 20 times from two different angles and it's nowhere near a defender. Give the lad credit for a good hit. you grumpy joyless git :rolleyes:

IF, as you say you have watched it 20 times, then I suggest you book an appointment at Specsavers . IT DEF TOOK A DEFLECTION.
And as for being a grumpy joyless git - how do you come to that conclusion ? Nothing in my post was joyless/grumpy. Just stating a matter of fact which I, and those around me AT THE GAME saw .

wookie70
11-12-2016, 02:01 PM
IF, as you say you have watched it 20 times, then I suggest you book an appointment at Specsavers . IT DEF TOOK A DEFLECTION.
And as for being a grumpy joyless git - how do you come to that conclusion ? Nothing in my post was joyless/grumpy. Just stating a matter of fact which I, and those around me AT THE GAME saw . The angle behind the goals shows a clear deflection.

Franck Stanton
11-12-2016, 02:09 PM
The angle behind the goals shows a clear deflection.

Thank you Wookie. Perhaps Wh should take a look, albeit- not 20 times-at this angle. As I stated in my original post I sit in upper FF Directly behind the goal and the deflection can clearly be seen from there.

ekhibee
11-12-2016, 02:14 PM
And as for being a grumpy joyless git - how do you come to that conclusion ? Nothing in my post was joyless/grumpy. Just stating a matter of fact which I, and those around me AT THE GAME saw .
I agree that technically there's nothing to suggest in your original post that you're a grumpy joyless git, but disagree about the goal, it really doesn't look as if there was a deflection. Well taken goal.

worcesterhibby
11-12-2016, 02:19 PM
The angle behind the goals shows a clear deflection.

opinions eh...I have watched BOTH angles 20 times and there is NO deflection

worcesterhibby
11-12-2016, 02:21 PM

Your name is Grumpy Git...suggesting it would have been saved was Joyless....ergo you are a Grumpy Git (self proclaimed) who is joyless.

I rest my case

Franck Stanton
11-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I agree that technically there's nothing to suggest in your original post that you're a grumpy joyless git, but disagree about the goal, it really doesn't look as if there was a deflection. Well taken goal.

Ek, I have just watched the you tube highlights for the first time and agree IF they were what people were basing their opinions on it doesn't look like any deflection [apart from angle behind goal and it is a brief view admittedly] however doesn't change the fact there was a deflection.
Still, if truth be told, I don't care how we score, as long as it is more than the team we are playing. Every goal can be scored by bouncing off Holt's backside for all I care. Just win the league and worry about pretty football next season.
People are entitled to their opinion , however, what I posted - it was a deflection, - is a matter of fact witnessed by my own eyes, not an opinion.

Franck Stanton
11-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Your name is Grumpy Git...suggesting it would have been saved was Joyless....ergo you are a Grumpy Git (self proclaimed) who is joyless.

I rest my case

Ever heard of "Irony"? In life I am the exact opposite of"Grumpy" [am however an old git].If I was a dwarf I would be "Happy".

worcesterhibby
11-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Ever heard of "Irony"? In life I am the exact opposite of"Grumpy" [am however an old git].If I was a dwarf I would be "Happy".

Since it's Christmas and Dean martin is currently crooning on the background and suggesting that i should be spreading goodwill to all men, I will take your word for it. :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
11-12-2016, 02:43 PM
I thought Graham played ok. Won a lot in the air, worked hard and deserved his goal. Should have scored in the first half though. I'd start him alongside Cummings again against Morton.

I'd be happy with another proven goal scorer in the transfer window though.

3pm
11-12-2016, 02:54 PM
He's not my favourite player.

QMU-1875
11-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Each to their own i guess.

The chance Boyle played him in for wasn't as clear cut as you are making out and I'm not even sure what the other one was. He was involved in everything positive for us, I thought he was winning a massive amount of balls in the air and playing some really good balls through for other players. Scored a cracking goal as well. Each to their own indeed but my take on this is that their is an agenda against Graham on this website because a lot of posters weren't happy about us signing him and are now looking stupid so are clutching at straws to make it out that he is less effective than he is. Provided he continues to start for us he will end the season as one of our top goal scorers.

The_Horde
11-12-2016, 03:13 PM
The chance Boyle played him in for wasn't as clear cut as you are making out and I'm not even sure what the other one was. He was involved in everything positive for us, I thought he was winning a massive amount of balls in the air and playing some really good balls through for other players. Scored a cracking goal as well. Each to their own indeed but my take on this is that their is an agenda against Graham on this website because a lot of posters weren't happy about us signing him and are now looking stupid so are clutching at straws to make it out that he is less effective than he is. Provided he continues to start for us he will end the season as one of our top goal scorers.

Agree 100%. Probably around 10

wookie70
11-12-2016, 03:20 PM
The youtube highlights are terrible quality watch the ones on HibsTV. A very clear deflection. 2 mins 06 sec on the goal highlights

Bostonhibby
11-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Season of goodwill and all that so we should probably write to the hibs friendly SPFL and ask them to knock off all our goals that have been deflections or non messi type goals or any scored by guys like Graham. It's not as if we're having to get past thugs who knock lumps out of ball players every week, should be perfectly possible to get promoted as a result of only scoring goals that win goal of the month every month. Especially in this league.

wookie70
11-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Season of goodwill and all that so we should probably write to the hibs friendly SPFL and ask them to knock off all our goals that have been deflections or non messi type goals or any scored by guys like Graham. It's not as if we're having to get past thugs who knock lumps out of ball players every week, should be perfectly possible to get promoted as a result of only scoring goals that win goal of the month every month. Especially in this league.

It's still Graham's goal regardless. Great touch and a good on target finish that took a deflection. I'm just as happy with a tap in or deflection as I am a 30 yarder as long as it counts as a Hibs goal.

Bostonhibby
11-12-2016, 03:44 PM
It's still Graham's goal regardless. Great touch and a good on target finish that took a deflection. I'm just as happy with a tap in or deflection as I am a 30 yarder as long as it counts as a Hibs goal.
[emoji106]

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 03:46 PM
He won plenty in the air, sub to Hibs.tv and watch the game again.

Comparison with Nish makes sense, he'll do well to score as many goals in the top flight as Nish did, though.

Thanks for the advice, already a sub though but cheers.

I always thought Nish had an excellent strike rate but it seems it was only 22 in 98 games in the top flight for us and 40 in 145 for Killie.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 03:54 PM

No agenda here, I had no idea about him before he signed other than he came on and roughed us up in the cup final that we lost last season.

I think he will score goals, it may just be that I don't enjoy the type of football it encourages us to play. What we watched yesterday was awful and for all the talk about how without Fyvie and McGinn we didn't have the talent in midfield we still had ball players in Shinnie and Dylan(looking like a different side when he came on).

It reminds me of Butcher, long balls and get the opposition defense on the turn.

Anyway I thought he was rubbish other than the goal, you didn't... such is life. If I'm saying that every week he may grow on me!

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 04:25 PM

That makes it an own goal then? Graham may claim it but isn't there a panel that will take it away from him? Dubious goal panel or suchlike?

Tyler Durden
11-12-2016, 04:25 PM
No agenda here, I had no idea about him before he signed other than he came on and roughed us up in the cup final that we lost last season.

I think he will score goals, it may just be that I don't enjoy the type of football it encourages us to play. What we watched yesterday was awful and for all the talk about how without Fyvie and McGinn we didn't have the talent in midfield we still had ball players in Shinnie and Dylan(looking like a different side when he came on).

It reminds me of Butcher, long balls and get the opposition defense on the turn.

Anyway I thought he was rubbish other than the goal, you didn't... such is life. If I'm saying that every week he may grow on me!

Agree entirely with this.

Graham's a poor player in my view but obviously we'll all be happy if he keeps scoring.

The team performance yesterday was dire and the formation really didn't work well. Wish we could skip to August and be back in the top league to be honest, it's pretty grim stuff for large parts of this season

Hermit Crab
11-12-2016, 04:26 PM
That makes it an own goal then? Graham may claim it but isn't there a panel that will take it away from him? Dubious goal panel or suchlike?

No because the shot was on target, that makes it his goal deflection or not.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 04:34 PM
No because the shot was on target, that makes it his goal deflection or not.

Even if the keeper was able to save the shot if it had not taken the deflection?

greenlex
11-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Even if the keeper was able to save the shot if it had not taken the deflection?

Yes

QMU-1875
11-12-2016, 04:39 PM

Fair enough, all a matter of opinion!

It might not be pretty but it's got us to top of the league something Stubbs never achieved.

SRHibs
11-12-2016, 04:52 PM
If you want entertainment go to the cinema!

Franck Stanton
11-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Getting silly now. No it wasn't an own goal, however it did take a deflection.

hibeg
11-12-2016, 05:12 PM
I've said it before, IMO he should be starting every week before Grant Holt. It wasn't his best game yesterday but he won lots in the air, linked well and scored a goal. I didn't think it was a very good ball played to him by Boyle for the, according to some, glaring first half miss.
He will score the goals to keep us at the top of the league.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 05:12 PM
If you want entertainment go to the cinema!

Alright Bobby!

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Getting silly now. No it wasn't an own goal, however it did take a deflection.

Living up to your name. I genuinely didn't know the rules but don't let that stop you joining the dots.

we are hibs
11-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Holt is a far better player. Those who think he is "ineffective" obviously haven't played the game. Defenders don't get a seconds rest, he creates space for others. Maybe if he had better service from players like Stevenson, Shinnie and gray he'd have more goals.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Holt is a far better player. Those who think he is "ineffective" obviously haven't played the game. Defenders don't get a seconds rest, he creates space for others. Maybe if he had better service from players like Stevenson, Shinnie and gray he'd have more goals.

I can't cook very well, but i know a good omelette when i'm eating it. :rolleyes:

And you are spot on about him creating space for others, he leaves a huge space right up the middle when he thinks he's a winger half the time he's on the park.

Unseen work
11-12-2016, 08:29 PM

Graham gets the service from the same players, played about 10% of Holts total minutes this season and scored more goals?

wookie70
11-12-2016, 08:34 PM

He would have to get a good deal closer to the opponent's goal for that to result in the most effective thing a striker can do. He does indeed annoy defenders from the start of the game till when he comes off. I haven't noticed that being too effective. His legs are gone for me as he was a brilliant striker at Norwich.

HoboHarry
12-12-2016, 03:35 AM
He's not my favourite player.
Messi isn't my favorite player but that doesn't mean he isn't any good.......

Brooster
12-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Graham was poor on Saturday but he wasnt the only one. The tempo we started the game at was shocking and continued until half time. I would expect our target man to be pressing the ball, squeezing our opponents in and holding the ball up.....Graham didnt do any of that and he kept losing possession. The tempo never really got to what it should be until McGeoch replaced Bartley....who also contrinuted very little.

J-C
12-12-2016, 08:02 AM
A big target man like Graham or Holt isn't the answer here, we needed a striker with brains, someone who could create as well as score, someone like Kenny Miller. Holt and Graham are your typical big man up top and we're now seeing the lumps up the park to these guys, missing out the midfield all too often, with Malonga and Stokes the ball was played into feet which allowed these 2 clever players to use their brains.

For me Holt is finished and Graham is a poor man's Nish.

The_Horde
12-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Graham was poor on Saturday but he wasnt the only one. The tempo we started the game at was shocking and continued until half time. I would expect our target man to be pressing the ball, squeezing our opponents in and holding the ball up.....Graham didnt do any of that and he kept losing possession. The tempo never really got to what it should be until McGeoch replaced Bartley....who also contrinuted very little.

There's little point In pressing defenders if the midfield aren't following suit. Which they weren't. Did you miss Graham go mental at the midfield in the first half after he'd busted a gut to press only to find the midfield were camped in our half?

Brooster
12-12-2016, 10:59 AM
If thats him busting a gut we are in deep trouble.

Hibby 2005
12-12-2016, 11:39 AM
You'll get goals from Graham which is why he should always be ahead of Holt.

Albanian Hibs
12-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Who cares if it took a deflection or not. It was a goal right? Can't believe you are all arguing about it!

JimBHibees
12-12-2016, 12:15 PM

If the shot was on target which it was and took a nick, it is still Brian's goal.

Stevie Reid
12-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Has a good scoring record everywhere he's been, and has carried that on with us so far. Not the most easy on the eye at times, but I'm happy we have him.

11 goals in 19 appearances overall this season. Good form.

JimBHibees
12-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Has a good scoring record everywhere he's been, and has carried on that with us so far. Not the most easy on the eye at times, but I'm happy we have him.

11 goals in 19 appearances overall this season. Good form.

Agree a penalty box goal scorer cant have too many of that sort of player. Different option good to have.

cmcd
12-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Brownlie to Stanton Stanton to Edwards Edwards to Gordon = GOAL .. Shades to Cropley Cropley to Duncan Duncan to Orourke = GOAL oh I'm dreaming Memories Memories of how the game should be played

Northernhibee
12-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Who cares if it took a deflection or not. It was a goal right? Can't believe you are all arguing about it!

There wasn't this level of complaint when Spoony scored against our neighbours in the cup.

matty_f
12-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Compairing him to Nish. Jeezo.

I thought he done well enough yesterday considering the lack of service to him and Jase.

I've been drinking down Easte Road for almost 20yrs and never heard so many bizarre opinions on our players. Joys of hiding behind a keyboard with an alias I suppose.

Why do folk have to hide behind a keyboard? What does that even mean? How else are you meant to submit views to this forum?

Did you hide behind your keyboard when you posted that?

My_Wife_Camille
12-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Agree 100%. Probably around 10
Nah 12

Lago
12-12-2016, 01:56 PM
The guy scores goals, he currently scores goals for Hibs, give the guy a break:confused:

Franck Stanton
12-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Suppose the article in the Edin Evening News is "UTTERTRIPE" as well then as it clearly states Graham scored the second goa l"WITH THE AID OF A SLIGHT DEFLECTION"?
Obviously need to watch the replays more than the 20 times eh.

Northernhibee
12-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Suppose the article in the Edin Evening News is "UTTERTRIPE" as well then as it clearly states Graham scored the second goa l"WITH THE AID OF A SLIGHT DEFLECTION"?
Obviously need to watch the replays more than the 20 times eh.

I think your caps lock button is on the blink. You might want a look at that.

BSEJVT
12-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Personally I could give a damn if it took a deflection or not Hibs scored and it was Graham's goal, those 2 facts are indisputable.

Whilst neither Holt nor Graham would get in my top 10 Hibs strikers of the last 40 years poll, they wouldn't be in the bottom 10 Hibs strikers of the last 40 years poll either and without subjecting myself to the torture of trying to recall some of the imposters who have masqueraded for us during that period I would hazard a guess they would probably both appear in the top 25%, certainly 50%.

I really don't understand what more Graham in particular could have done than he has and whilst Holt isn't a prolific goalscorer, it shouldn't be forgotten that he played every week when Jason was on his scoring spree at the start of the season.

I really despair at the completely unrealistic expectations that surrounds the current Hibs squad.

We have by and large more than decent footballers who would mostly hold their places in SPL Premier League teams and yet they are criticised constantly on here and at ER.

No they are not the Famous Five or Turnbull's Tornadoes, but they are a damn sight better than what we have had to put with in recent years.

Its hardly their faults they are unable to live up to supporters unrealistic expectations of them.

Andy74
12-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Personally I could give a damn if it took a deflection or not Hibs scored and it was Graham's goal, those 2 facts are indisputable.

Whilst neither Holt nor Graham would get in my top 10 Hibs strikers of the last 40 years poll, they wouldn't be in the bottom 10 Hibs strikers of the last 40 years poll either and without subjecting myself to the torture of trying to recall some of the imposters who have masqueraded for us during that period I would hazard a guess they would probably both appear in the top 25%, certainly 50%.

I really don't understand what more Graham in particular could have done than he has and whilst Holt isn't a prolific goalscorer, it shouldn't be forgotten that he played every week when Jason was on his scoring spree at the start of the season.

I really despair at the completely unrealistic expectations that surrounds the current Hibs squad.

We have by and large more than decent footballers who would mostly hold their places in SPL Premier League teams and yet they are criticised constantly on here and at ER.

No they are not the Famous Five or Turnbull's Tornadoes, but they are a damn sight better than what we have had to put with in recent years.

Its hardly their faults they are unable to live up to supporters unrealistic expectations of them.

Well said.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2016, 04:19 PM

Its hardly their faults they are unable to live up to supporters unrealistic expectations of them.Agree 100% with this.

Jonnyboy
12-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Cracking post 👍

hibsbollah
12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
I only asked if it took a deflection out of interest, because it looked like it did at the time from my view up in the gods in the East. It doesn't bother me one way or another, it was still a great bit of control and shot to get it on target. I had no idea it was going to cause such a rammy :faf:

I feel like I farted in a restaurant and sneaked off.

ancient hibee
12-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Although Graham is not the most polished performer he clearly has the instinct of a goal scorer which at our level is invaluable.

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-12-2016, 04:51 PM
I only asked if it took a deflection out of interest, because it looked like it did at the time from my view up in the gods in the East. It doesn't bother me one way or another, it was still a great bit of control and shot to get it on target. I had no idea it was going to cause such a rammy :faf:

I feel like I farted in a restaurant and sneaked off.***** stirrer! :stirrer:

:wink:

Stevie Reid
12-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Wish I'd written that myself! Great post.

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-12-2016, 04:59 PM
I suppose Graham was ok on Sat. Up until his goal was was pretty ineffective but got better as the game went on. He should have scored when Boyle, or was it Shinnie laid the ball off and instead of just smacking it with his left foot tried to get it on to his right and messed it up.

I still think he's the better option up front rather than Holt as at least he won a few headers and seemed more of a threat than what I've seen from Holt.

QMU-1875
12-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Great post. Graham and Holt might not be pretty but they are exactly the kind of option we need if we are to get out of this division which we have failed to do in previous seasons.

Diclonius
12-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Graham has 109 goals in 299 appearances, all in either the Premiership or Championship. The guy scores goals.

He didn't play great on Saturday but still scored a very good goal.

pacoluna
12-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, already a sub though but cheers.

I always thought Nish had an excellent strike rate but it seems it was only 22 in 98 games in the top flight for us and 40 in 145 for Killie.

Nish was a good player for hibs until the boo boys turned on him of course.

Smartie
12-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Nish was a good player for hibs until the boo boys turned on him of course.

Nish was a good player full stop. Some of the abuse he got was ridiculous.

pacoluna
12-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Graham has 109 goals in 299 appearances, all in either the Premiership or Championship. The guy scores goals.

He didn't play great on Saturday but still scored a very good goal.

He's scored 78 goals in 155 games 25 of them were for East stirling and morton in the lower divisions. 155 games in 10 seasons isn't that much, hasn't seemed to be able to hold down a position where ever he has been. But as mentioned before his goal to game ratio is impressive

My_Wife_Camille
12-12-2016, 06:53 PM

In recent years we've had to 'put up with' prolific goal scorers like Riordan, Stokes, O'Connor, Griffiths and Cummings as well as Benji, Malonga, Fletcher and Doyle who were good for around 10-15 goals in a season, the vast majority of which were at a higher level that where we're playing now.

I like both Holt and Graham by the way but to say they are a damn sight better than what we've had in recent years is way over the top. Granted they are not as bad as James Collins, Rowan Vine or Danny Haynes but they're definitely more in line with Akpo Sodje and Colin Nish than some of the excellent strikers we've been lucky enough to 'put up with in recent years'.

Smartie
12-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Derek Collins, Paul Lovering, Justin Skinner, Shaun Dennis.

All competent footballers who performed a role in our side the last time we went up, without getting the plaudits the likes of Sauzee, Latapy and Paatelainen did.

Sometimes you just need people who get the job done. Graham wasn't brilliant on Saturday but he took his goal well, it killed Dumbarton off and made the points safe.

There's nobody in the squad at the moment that "isn't fit to wear the shirt".

They're all competent footballers who can come in and play a role when needed, that goes for Graham, Holt or whoever. Unfortunately our bit of quality, that bit of something that separates us from the dross in this league (like Latapy et al) are missing at the moment and we really need to get behind the likes of Graham.

Diclonius
13-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Brian Graham will score us the winner in our defending cup final this season. Fact.

Assist from Holt.

500miles
13-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Brian Graham has an average of a goal every 71 minutes he's on the pitch this season.

More of that sort of rubbish please.

Waxy
13-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Brian Graham will score us the winner in our defending cup final this season. Fact.

Assist from Holt.
No Cummings will have his shot blocked and Graham will ram home the rebound.

BlackSheep
17-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Really felt the need to reopen this thread for discussion....

Not sure why graham is starting.... has Holt had a fall out with Lennon, perhaps over the penalty at Dundee Utd?

Hos touch is terrible, his passing is always over cooked, his finishing is awful (even his goal last week took a deflection) and for a tall player he rarely wins the long balls... also cannot hold the ball up for attacking midfielders!

Hoping that with the arrival of Commons, Cummings scoring today, which will boost his confidence, and Keatings on the way back from injury that we do away with the long ball to the tall target man apporoach.

A Hi-Bee
17-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Graham will perhaps always score a fair share of goals just not as many as Jason will over any given season, he reminds me of a certain Jim Blair who we signed many years ago another who had scored goals until he got to Hibs that is, pretty sure that when he went back to St Mirren he ended up banging in the goals for them again.
Graham is no long term solution to Hibs scoring more goals, he may yet still score a few but once we get into the league above there would be no place for him.

Green-Hibee-7
17-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Really felt the need to reopen this thread for discussion....

Not sure why graham is starting.... has Holt had a fall out with Lennon, perhaps over the penalty at Dundee Utd?

Hos touch is terrible, his passing is always over cooked, his finishing is awful (even his goal last week took a deflection) and for a tall player he rarely wins the long balls... also cannot hold the ball up for attacking midfielders!

Hoping that with the arrival of Commons, Cummings scoring today, which will boost his confidence, and Keatings on the way back from injury that we do away with the long ball to the tall target man apporoach.

Neither holt nor graham should be any where near that hibs team quite honestly in a starting capacity. A 5ft 10 Jason Cummings can hold the ball up better and link the play than graham. Holt is perhaps better at hold up that's when he's not falling on his arse or blowing out it. I feared when these two came in we would be seeing a switch in style of play - it's eye bleeding stuff.

Re the player in question its nothing personal - guy just doesn't have it imo. Big January needed.

Earlydelivery
17-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Graham not for me , very poor in the air and first touch terrible.

wookie70
17-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Graham will perhaps always score a fair share of goals just not as many as Jason will over any given season, he reminds me of a certain Jim Blair who we signed many years ago another who had scored goals until he got to Hibs that is, pretty sure that when he went back to St Mirren he ended up banging in the goals for them again.
Graham is no long term solution to Hibs scoring more goals, he may yet still score a few but once we get into the league above there would be no place for him.

Graham's goal scoring to minutes played ratio is very good at Hibs too despite a poor performance tonight.

BlackSheep
17-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Graham's goal scoring to minutes played ratio is very good at Hibs too despite a poor performance tonight.

That may be true, but every game he has played for us he hasn't been up to scratch... even against Turriff!

wookie70
17-12-2016, 10:46 PM
That may be true, but every game he has played for us he hasn't been up to scratch... even against Turriff! I would argue Holt has been in similar form without the goals. Graham may be better coming on after Holt has softened them up but I don't think either is the answer. Hopefully we get some wide men in and both Holt and Graham could look better. Either that or get another front man to play with JC

Ricky Bobby
17-12-2016, 10:50 PM
I would like to see us going back to two smaller guys up front. Cummings and Keatings, and get away from the hoofball we seem to play when Graham and Holt are up front.

Brooster
17-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Graham was murder tonight. Heart the size of a pea.

SaulGoodman
17-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Holt was much better when he came on for Graham. I'd rather play Keatings up top with Cummings and stop this hoofball *****

Smartie
17-12-2016, 11:34 PM
I think we look better as a team with Holt up front.

Graham gets goals though and he'll always be a decent option to throw on late in a game.

Sorting out our creativity is Lennon's number one priority and I'm not convinced any combination of who we currently have will cut the mustard. Our league form was pitiful in the second half of last season and based on our performances so far we're very lucky to be top.

It wouldn't surprise me much if Lennon were to get rid of a good few, with a large number coming in.

3pm
17-12-2016, 11:52 PM

His heart has nothing to do with it, he's just plain pish.

IberianHibernian
17-12-2016, 11:56 PM
I`m sure Graham will be disappointed with his performance at Cappielaw but I wouldn`t single him out for criticism . At least he was getting into goalscoring positions . His goalscoring record before coming to Hibs is quite impressive and he`s already scored a few for us despite limited opportunities . He`s not a great player and if we get promotion he`ll probably be moved on but then that`s probably the case for at least 5 of his team mates today . Surprised to see no thread about Boyle - he`s had a good run of starting games now and looks nowhere near good enough for Championship let alone if we get promotion except as a sub against tiring teams .

BlackSheep
18-12-2016, 12:01 AM
A couple of decent wide men and it won't matter if we have height up front, wide players draw the full backs out leaving more space for players like Cummings and Keatings to exploit. With Shinnie and Commons behind and Fyvie and McGinn to return this would be a very strong offensive line... Holt to come on late when we need to play hoofball... Graham should always be Holt's backup.

truehibernian
18-12-2016, 01:04 AM

Brooster, usually agree with you about most things but really ? I think he suffers from lack of delivery and I'd say he'd plant his head on any cross deserving of it - sadly the crosses from Lewis and David Gray came down with snow on tonight !

You honestly think he's not brave bud ? Genuinely bemused - you're spot on with assessments (usually lol)

Brooster
18-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Brooster, usually agree with you about most things but really ? I think he suffers from lack of delivery and I'd say he'd plant his head on any cross deserving of it - sadly the crosses from Lewis and David Gray came down with snow on tonight !

You honestly think he's not brave bud ? Genuinely bemused - you're spot on with assessments (usually lol)

He's either not brave or not interested. A few times he held back from balls he should've been winning or closing down. Either way he was terrible last night. Its dissapointing to think he started ahead on Cummings, Holt and Keatings.

J-C
18-12-2016, 08:14 AM
He's either not brave or not interested. A few times he held back from balls he should've been winning or closing down. Either way he was terrible last night. Its dissapointing to think he started ahead on Cummings, Holt and Keatings.

I said on another thread somewhere that Graham is a poor man's Nish, he can't jump, can't control a ball and ends up on his erse more often than not, poor signing.

Eyrie
18-12-2016, 12:03 PM
I would like to see us going back to two smaller guys up front. Cummings and Keatings, and get away from the hoofball we seem to play when Graham and Holt are up front.

That would only work if we're willing to play at a decent tempo rather than the turgid sideways and backwards stuff that masquerades as our current midfield play.

A change in tactics as well as personnel is required.

Onion
18-12-2016, 12:54 PM
I said on another thread somewhere that Graham is a poor man's Nish, he can't jump, can't control a ball and ends up on his erse more often than not, poor signing.

Graham is a decent sub to bring on with 15 to go but proved yesterday in in previous starts he's simply not a good enough starter for a team chasing promotion. He should have no complaints about being dropped for Holt, as he's failed to prove his worth.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2016, 01:17 PM
During the game yesterday, i never thought i'd hear myself saying get Holt on the park instead of that huddy.

Graham was useless, couldnt hold the ball up, or even win a flick on.

That would have been as easy a day for the Morton centre halves as they have had all season.

FitbaFolkKen
18-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Not a fan of him and I think playing him encourages our terrible style of football. Lump up to the big man and feed off the scraps.

He does score though and I think is a decent option to bring off the bench in games we need a goal.