PDA

View Full Version : Half-Decent Result, Poor Performance

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Would have drawn against a top half of the table side with that performance.

Our midfield don't threaten enough, nor create enough for our strikers.

Our crossing is poor and final ball into the box woeful.

We have much more quality than all sides in this division, but unless we address those shortcomings, we'll be staying down here another term.

Kavinho
10-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Fully believe we'll get up this year

R'Albin
10-12-2016, 04:58 PM
We were far from great but we just need to keep grinding out results until January where we can strengthen. I'm really not a fan of the formations we are playing at the moment but with the unbalanced squad we have it's inevitable. It was obvious how desperately we needed a decent left midfielder today - Stevenson was never threatened defensively but his crossing was absolutely dreadful.

There wasn't one player on the pitch today outwith the back three and possibly Shinnie that could have any complaint if they were dropped next week. There wasn't a horrendous performance from anybody but the majority were pretty mediocre.

California-Hibs
10-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Agreed with the performance, you'll usually find me always positive but your right, my first thought today at full time was what would the score have been playing away today again QOTS/Falkirk/Morton etc.

That being said....all about the 3 points and it's one of the reasons we'll win the league this season.

Hibbyradge
10-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Correction. That's a fully decent result.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2016, 05:03 PM
As long as we get up this season, performance like this today will be forgotten, but deary me that was pish, and until we got the 2nd we were never in real control of that game.

HoboHarry
10-12-2016, 05:07 PM
In what world is a 2-0 win only a half decent result? :faf:

brog
10-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Playing 3 CBs at home to Dumbarton stifles our attacking options. We could have played 4 3 3 today with DM playing instead of a CB.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Correction. That's a fully decent result.

No. Another couple of goals against a demoralised part-time side and it would have been.

Steve20
10-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Good result. Result is all that matters.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 05:16 PM

The world where we have the biggest budget by far of any side in the division, and are playing against rock-bottom part-timers who where knocked out of the Scottish Cup at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.

HoboHarry
10-12-2016, 05:18 PM
The world where we have the biggest budget by far of any side in the division, and are playing against rock-bottom part-timers who where knocked out of the Scottish Cup at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.
Yes and we won. Next.

High-On-Hibs
10-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Any 3 points we pick up against anybody is a decent result. How we get there in the end doesn't really matter, as long as it is enough to win the game on the day.

stantonhibby
10-12-2016, 05:22 PM

Where the OP predicted a 1-1 pre match.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Poor first half, good 2nd. Shouldnt play 2 in the middle.

snooky
10-12-2016, 05:26 PM
:hmmm: I think we should accept that posters on this board cover a wide range of what is expected and accepted from Hibs performances and results. We're all different shades ranging from the gloomers to the zoomers.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Where the OP predicted a 1-1 pre match.

Oops...in my defence, I was sober at the time...

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 05:27 PM
:hmmm: I think we should accept that posters on this board cover a wide range of what is expected and accepted from Hibs performances and results. We're all different shades ranging from the gloomers to the zoomers.

...agreed, and would also add that these can change within seconds.

Centre Hawf
10-12-2016, 05:28 PM
I understand that we won. Delighted. But can anyone hand on heart say they were entertained today?

High-On-Hibs
10-12-2016, 05:34 PM
I understand that we won. Delighted. But can anyone hand on heart say they were entertained today?

Getting out of the Championship is the mission. Not being pretty to look at.

If you're content with a club being in the Championship as long as they are pretty to watch, then Hibs are the wrong club to follow. We don't belong there.

lucky
10-12-2016, 05:35 PM
First was poor, 3-5-2 at home does not work for us. But we won and kept a clean sheet. Bartley, Boyle, Stevenson & Gray are average players at best and struggle when we have lots of the ball. But we are still top the league

Green-Hibee-7
10-12-2016, 05:35 PM

Spot on! Everyone on this thread knows deep down what you mean. Hearts & Rangers were putting 4, 5 or 6 part these teams. Either way a wins a win but would agree something needs addressed or we are going no where.

Canon Hannan
10-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Yes considering we played with 1 actual midfielder to be honest. Decent tempo and movement. Good result.

WhileTheChief..
10-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Decent result and solid enough performance.

I don't think we're going to see much silky football against teams like this and it's hard to get too excited in these games.

Dumbarton offered nothing, we were in total control of the whole game and the result was never in doubt.

mjhibby
10-12-2016, 05:42 PM
We were far from great but we just need to keep grinding out results until January where we can strengthen. I'm really not a fan of the formations we are playing at the moment but with the unbalanced squad we have it's inevitable. It was obvious how desperately we needed a decent left midfielder today - Stevenson was never threatened defensively but his crossing was absolutely dreadful.

There wasn't one player on the pitch today outwith the back three and possibly Shinnie that could have any complaint if they were dropped next week. There wasn't a horrendous performance from anybody but the majority were pretty mediocre.

That about sums it up. You only have to look at the bench to see how short of players we are. Boyle was wasted today and should have been played through the middle where he had the beating of their defence. Jason was a bit better today but was better at his dead ball delivery more than anything else. Graham took his goal well. Team definitely missing keatings imho. Roll on Jan 1 when we can get at least three players in.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Yes considering we played with 1 actual midfielder to be honest. Decent tempo and movement. Good result.

Which one, Bartley or Shinnie?

Albanian Hibs
10-12-2016, 05:47 PM

Dont care. We need to get out of this league. A win is a win.

J-C
10-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Bizarre team selection and shape, got the win but really can't understand what Lennon was trying to achieve.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2016, 05:51 PM

Its all well and fine after we've won, but nobody watching that pish as it unfolded couldnt help but feel a little uneasy at how we were playing.

And you do wonder if we can do better as the season goes on when playing the better teams in this league.

FifeHibs
10-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Rocky injured - solid keeper
John MCGinn injured - best player in division
Fraser fyvie injured - 2nd best player in division
Mcgeogh - on bench
Cummings first start in 6 ( not match sharp)

The hysteria is frightening!

SRHibs
10-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Cummings and Shinnie were good today. And I'm sorry, but Stevenson was horrendous. His crossing is a disgrace.

Enough said
10-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Cummings and Shinnie were good today. And I'm sorry, but Stevenson was horrendous. His crossing is a disgrace.

Cummings was good?? Were you at Easter road today?

Wee Effen Bee
10-12-2016, 05:54 PM

Exactly where I stand. Get out of this league then we can win awards for playing fancy football next year when we consolidate our place in the top league...if we can. :greengrin

snooky
10-12-2016, 05:57 PM
I don't really get this 'winning ugly' idea and how it's always tied into the result. There's much more chance of you losing ugly.
I'm more worried when I see us continually scrape results - this is painting over rust. If the performance is generally good and we lose, then sometimes it's just the rub of the green. Some on here may disagree and that's fine.

hibsbollah

Someone has to notice at some point. Lewis is a very useful player but he's never ever been a left wing back and can't cross a ball. Either change the system, buy a LWB in January or give Crane a game.

It was a horrible horrible game to watch.

Dashing Bob S
Spot on! Everyone on this thread knows deep down what you mean. Hearts & Rangers were putting 4, 5 or 6 part these teams. Either way a wins a win but would agree something needs addressed or we are going no where.

Those two clubs (and nobody detests both of them more than me) were 'skooshing' outfits in this division. So far, we are pretty far from that.

WhileTheChief..
10-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Bizarre team selection and shape, got the win but really can't understand what Lennon was trying to achieve.

Not sure I get this?

We play 3/5/2 every week.

Goalie was a straight swap due to injury, Bartley came in for McGeough (or Fyffe had he been fit) and Cummings for Holt.

Bench was the weakest it's been for a while so not sure how Lennon could have done much differently.

He was trying to achieve the win and succeeded!!

Eaststandee
10-12-2016, 05:58 PM
That was horrendous today. "As long as we get the result" aye right we were playing ****ing Dumbarton, we're Hibs not Raith or Queen of the South. We need to improve greatly if we're going to win this league.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

High-On-Hibs
10-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Again, the whinging about Stevenson. :rolleyes:

A (the only) double cup winner for this club and plays his part in what is currently the best footballing defence within professional football across the whole of the UK.

Ok, his crossing is absolute mince. But if it wasn't, he wouldn't be anywhere near Hibs.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Someone has to notice at some point. Lewis is a very useful player but he's never ever been a left wing back and can't cross a ball. Either change the system, buy a LWB in January or give Crane a game.

It was a horrible horrible game to watch.

It's something that can't be avoided any longer. I like LS, but as long as we stick with him in that role, a major supply line to the strikers is effectively cut off.

SRHibs
10-12-2016, 06:03 PM

Aye, his awareness is miles better than most on the park. The service to him wasn't great and he started drifting deeper in field as the game progressed and ended up getting some great balls into the box. His corners were spot on too. Relative to the rest of the team Cummings was good.

California-Hibs
10-12-2016, 06:04 PM
I did have a chuckle on score prediction thread with some saying a draw or a loss.

hibsbollah
10-12-2016, 06:05 PM

A (the only) double cup winner for this club and plays his part in what is currently the best footballing defence within professional football across the whole of the UK.

Ok, his crossing is absolute mince. But if it wasn't, he wouldn't be anywhere near Hibs.

It's not whinging. I like Lewis. But he's being hung out to dry playing a role he must know himself he can't do.

He should be a Traditional left back in a 442 and useful cover at centre mid. Would certainly have been better than Bartley in front of the back 4 today.

SRHibs
10-12-2016, 06:06 PM

He's a VERY average defender. He was PART of the team that won each of those cups; he wasn't the sole reason we did so. Our defence is so good mainly because we are almost always pressed up the park. He is dire.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Thanks for that, at least now i can relax and not expect better whenever he's going wide down the flanks. Its a great relief knowing if he could do better, he'd not be at Hibs anyway.

hibbysam
10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Those two clubs (and nobody detests both of them more than me) were 'skooshing' outfits in this division. So far, we are pretty far from that.

Aye your right, last season 1st December - Rangers 4-0 Dumbarton (two goals in last 9 minutes, 'skooshed')

12th December rangers 2-2 Morton ('skooshed')
19th December Falkirk 2-1 rangers ('skooshed')

At this point they were 0 points clear, ahead only on goal difference, after being well clear at one point.. sound familiar? Wonder how it finished again.

Borderhibbie76
10-12-2016, 06:09 PM
That's rubbish although they both won the league easily...they had their struggles against Dumbarton...both of them. They never scored 5 and 6 against them regularly but don't let facts get in the way... The night Rangers won the league they only beat Dumbarton 1 nil at Hunbrox...and Hearts dropped points against them too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
10-12-2016, 06:10 PM
It's not whinging. I like Lewis. But he's being hung out to dry playing a role he must know himself he can't do.

He should be a Traditional left back in a 442 and useful cover at centre mid. Would certainly have been better than Bartley in front of the back 4 today.
I agree with you but good luck explaining that to the "intelligentsia" on this board.....

Borderhibbie76
10-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Which one, Bartley or Shinnie?
Bartley is pretty dreadful I have to say without the likes of fyvie, Mcginn and Dylan around him. Should never have been in side today...why not give Martin a go. Lennon worries me with his team selections 3 at the back plus Bartley at home to Dumbarton...really??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Pete
10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
To be honest I couldn't care less about how Rangers and hearts done against these teams and I'd rather compare us to ourselves last year. However, people seem to forget that hearts and Rangers (who have a budget that dwarves ours) didn't always hammer these teams and 1 and 2-0's were common.

Under Stubbs, people were always moaning about how soft we were and how our tippy-tappy play was ineffective against the minnows...with our "bogey team", the part time Dumbarton constantly being used as an example.

Ok, it's not pretty right now and Lennons default position when we are depleted seems to be defensive selections but I honestly haven't been to a game where our defence has looked seriously threatened. Things will settle down a bit once we get new additions/get our first choice players back.

As for those people wondering how we will cope against better teams in this league...I'd like to remind them that this wasn't the first game of the season and there is this ingenious indicator for them to study called a league table.

California-Hibs
10-12-2016, 06:16 PM

My thoughts exactly. Very strange comment. Cummings was invisible today.

brog
10-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Im pretty sure that some of the posters defending our result/performance today will have complained about us losing out to Falkirk on goal difference last season. We scored 8 at home vs Dumbarton last season & still lost out. I agree the 3 points are all important but a better win would have improved our goal difference & our confidence.

SRHibs
10-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Not that strange a comment. I've given my reasoning and it's a judgement made relative to the rest of the team.

Allant1981
10-12-2016, 06:20 PM

How many goals do you think we should win by? There are hardly ever any big score lines in any leagues now, 2-0 will do me fine if we havent played well

High-On-Hibs
10-12-2016, 06:21 PM

And of course, that's his fault? Not the fault of the man who gives him the instructions? :confused:

He's a VERY average defender. He was PART of the team that won each of those cups; he wasn't the sole reason we did so. Our defence is so good mainly because we are almost always pressed up the park. He is dire.

Like it or not, we're a very average club. If you haven't noticed, great players don't tend to stick around these days. When it comes to winning things, he has played his part. That is a fact. Or are you going to write him off and suggest that we won those things with 10 men on the park? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, at least now i can relax and not expect better whenever he's going wide down the flanks. Its a great relief knowing if he could do better, he'd not be at Hibs anyway.

It's a fact whether you like it or not. He is our level and is only carrying out the instruction he is given by the manager.

emerald green
10-12-2016, 06:21 PM
It was a good result and a not very good performance against not very good part-time opposition.

Hibs are missing McGinn & Fyvie quite badly, judging by what I saw today.

Not clear why Bartley started instead of McGeouch unless Lennon is trying to use McGeouch sparingly to protect him from further injury?

JimBHibees
10-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Dylan simply had to play in that formation IMO. Didn't really get 3 forwards all close together would have expected 3 spread wider. Passing awful.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2016, 06:23 PM
First was poor, 3-5-2 at home does not work for us. But we won and kept a clean sheet. Bartley, Boyle, Stevenson & Gray are average players at best and struggle when we have lots of the ball. But we are still top the league
3-5-2 doesn't work yet we keep winning with it? Hmmmm

Gray and Stevenson both good today

Bishop Hibee
10-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Rubbish first 20 mins but after that we were in total control.

We will need to step it up next week though. McGeoch in for Bartley.

matty_f
10-12-2016, 06:25 PM
First half was brutal, absolutely horrendous stuff. Thought we were much better, deserved the win but far from good enough.

High-On-Hibs
10-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Im pretty sure that some of the posters defending our result/performance today will have complained about us losing out to Falkirk on goal difference last season. We scored 8 at home vs Dumbarton last season & still lost out. I agree the 3 points are all important but a better win would have improved our goal difference & our confidence.

If we had pushed harder, we'd have ran the risk of key players picking up injuries which would do us no good when it comes to trying to get 3 points from the next game. GD is important, but it's nowhere near as important as points.

We won 3 points today and nobody gained a serious injury or pulled a hamstring.

Honestly, people need to look at the bigger picture, rather than nitpicking over each individual game. We're top of the table and our goal difference is a healthy one at this stage in the season. No need to push the boat out further than we need to.

J-C
10-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Not sure I get this?

We play 3/5/2 every week.

Goalie was a straight swap due to injury, Bartley came in for McGeough (or Fyffe had he been fit) and Cummings for Holt.

Bench was the weakest it's been for a while so not sure how Lennon could have done much differently.

He was trying to achieve the win and succeeded!!

Never a 3-5-2, Boyle behind the strikers? Bartley holding with 3 CH's? Shinnie sitting deep? The amount of ball Dumbarton had in the midfield was ridiculous, thankfully that was only Dumbarton and not a decent team as we would've been beaten today. It should've been 4-3-3 with Martin and Dylan sitting and Shinnie in the hole with Boyle right, Cummings left.
I don't think Boyle knew where he was meant to play, all over the place, piss poor performance but at least a win.

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-12-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm happy with the win especially with having 3/4 key players out, but the performance was woeful.

I hope i'm wrong but I can see us dropping points over the xmas period unless Lennon can somehow keep us ticking over grinding out results.

We do have a couple of positives in Boyle and Shinnie though and If they can keep their performances up (last week excluded) then we might have enough to see us through until the transfer window opens.

Andy74
10-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Aye, his awareness is miles better than most on the park. The service to him wasn't great and he started drifting deeper in field as the game progressed and ended up getting some great balls into the box. His corners were spot on too. Relative to the rest of the team Cummings was good.

In the Cummings v Boyle stakes Boyle did more to suggest he should continue if we are only going to have one of them.

brog
10-12-2016, 06:36 PM
If we had pushed harder, we'd have ran the risk of key players picking up injuries which would do us no good when it comes to trying to get 3 points from the next game. GD is important, but it's nowhere near as important as points.

We won 3 points today and nobody gained a serious injury or pulled a hamstring.

Honestly, people need to look at the bigger picture, rather than nitpicking over each individual game. We're top of the table and our goal difference is a healthy one at this stage in the season. No need to push the boat out further than we need to.

I'm not really sure why there should be a correlation between playing more fluently, scoring more goals & getting injured! Our keeper's had very little to do all season but he's currently injured! As for goal difference IIRC we were well clear of Falkirk at one stage last season.

West lower
10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
I agree with you but good luck explaining that to the "intelligentsia" on this board.....

Or to the guy in the lower west today who was hurling abuse at Stevenson all day long. It might be frustrating watching a lot of his First crosses hit the first defender, but that sort of abuse isn't going to fix anything.
He would have been better staying in the pub.

Thecat23
10-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Performance was crap simple as that. But as many battered on most of last season it's about 3 points. Funny seeing some of these posters on moaning though about it not being good enough. 😂

SaulGoodman
10-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Or to the guy in the lower west today who was hurling abuse at Stevenson all day long. It might be frustrating watching a lot of his First crosses hit the first defender, but that sort of abuse isn't going to fix anything.

The boys a fanny

s.a.m
10-12-2016, 06:51 PM
The boys a fanny

:agree: Really impressed with himself as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Playing like that and winning is better than playing well and losing.

hibsbollah
10-12-2016, 06:54 PM
And of course, that's his fault? Not the fault of the man who gives him the instructions? :confused:

Exactly my point :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2016, 06:58 PM
It's a fact whether you like it or not. He is our level and is only carrying out the instruction he is given by the manager.

Is he the best we could possibly have, or is it within the realms of possibility one of our past managers or indeed this manager now might bring in someone better than his level and carry out his instructions better?

Or are we stuck with him forever?

Deeds
10-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Weren't great, pretty comfortable win.. thought the ref was poor and seemed to rule against us time after time.

Was the goal actually offside? Couldn't see it very well from the South.

marleyhib
10-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm happy we won after losing last week. If we'd had a full strength team out and we played like that I'd be concerned but we didn't.

I do think we are poorer this season than last, not convinced about Lennon.

Wee Effen Bee
10-12-2016, 07:04 PM
How many goals do you think we should win by? There are hardly ever any big score lines in any leagues now, 2-0 will do me fine if we havent played well

I don't get it, I'm sorry, I just don't. I'm definitely in the same camp as you Superhib. Doesn't matter what the score was in their last game or how many goals other teams were putting past them (which, it turns out, appears to be around the same as we are) today is a one-off game. It's the same as that guff people continually trot out: "…aye but if we played like that against (insert 'bigger' team here) today, we would have been beaten/pumped/horsed." Who's to say they wouldn't been even worse? ''If" is such a small word and people tend to place way too much prominence upon it. We didn't play well, but we won. Three points and another goal away from Dundee Utd. We've strengthened our position, while posting yet another clean sheet, so I'm happy with today's result.

jgl07
10-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Lennon was presumably trying to win the game.

As for bizarre team selections, what alternatives did he have? I suspect that Dylan isn't fit enough to play much more than 45 minutes. McGinn, Fyvie, and Keatings were all out injured. It doesn't leave many options.

This was a team who beat Hibs twice last season and got a 0-0 draw at Easter Road the season before last.

BT58
10-12-2016, 07:20 PM
We won. We scored more than United. We kept a clean sheet. Do this till we get our players back then great. Crowd was very flat, did the drummer forget his drum??.
Their RB should have been sent off in first half for assault on Gray. Ref was poor. Onwards and upwards
GGTTH

pedroorange1875
10-12-2016, 07:28 PM
We seem to treat every opponent as if we are playing Celtic...We never try to beat a man, we dont even make any attempt to try...We play with 5 defenders, we sit incredibly deep against everyone especially if we go 1-0 up..

We are far too slow and play around the back as if we are Madrid and Barca but that strategy only works with the quality players way above our station. Throughout our team we receive the ball and immediately trun back, its no the first thought to take turn and move forward.

And the worst thing is we set a formation to play wing backs with 2 players who are never wing backs in a million years and we are continuing to persist with it and it causes us no end of trouble compounded by being slower than paint drying

JohnM1875
10-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Getting out of the Championship is the mission. Not being pretty to look at.

If you're content with a club being in the Championship as long as they are pretty to watch, then Hibs are the wrong club to follow. We don't belong there.

Sorry, but I don't understand why we can't get out of the championship and play good football doing so?

I honestly found myself so bored and frustrated at our play today. And I've never felt like that before.

Let's be honest. We were playing Dumbarton at home so sorry if I expect us to be able to play some attractive attacking football at times.

That really was hard viewing today.

Slavers
10-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Half decent performance, good result!

Captain Trips
10-12-2016, 07:43 PM
3pts banked. Since we won league cup we have been average at best over last 10 years. May was a highlight we will not forget.

I will accept not playing well and winning all day after the utter dross that has been on display over the years.

FitbaFolkKen
10-12-2016, 07:44 PM

Nope, to be honest I was bored. It wasn't a contest it was just us plugging away until we found a way to break through.

I thought Shinnie played well and Cummings was looking sharp with some nice link up play and really unlucky with the back heel first half. His dead ball delivery was a big improvement on recent weeks.

We looked far more dangerous when we replaced Bartley with Dylan.

Michael
10-12-2016, 07:45 PM
First half hour was eye bleeding stuff. Up there with the worst stuff I've ever seen at Easter Road. Still, a win's a win.

FitbaFolkKen
10-12-2016, 07:47 PM

He has played that role for over two years and left back for I don't know how many others. If he can't play it by now there is something far wrong.

Surely a professional footballer should be able to cross a ball to beat the first defender?

He's clearly limited and if I was improving the team that would be the first place I would improve. Think about how many more chances we would have in a game with decent crosses from the left.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Dumbarton are crap, we would have needed to be really bad to have lost today.

There's much bigger tests coming over the next few weeks, starting with our trip to Greenock next Saturday. I think we will need to play much better to win next week.

You can only beat what's in front of you but we will need to play a lot better in the coming weeks.

jacomo
10-12-2016, 08:03 PM

His assist for the 1st goal missed by the tv camera eh?

I do wish people like you who are watching on a low quality feed would sometimes acknowledge that you won't have such a comprehensive view of the game.

Better than those who mouth off despite never watching the game though I suppose.

Unseen work
10-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Still not overly convinced with Lennon.

Hopefully his signings in January are better than the summer and we push on

The Spaceman
10-12-2016, 08:10 PM

I had three behind me today hounding Stevenson. There was a point he was completely hemmed into the touch line so blasted it off a Dumbarton player for a thrown in, cue the screams in his direction. I turned round like "there was literally nothing else he could have done in that situation".

hibsbollah
10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
He has played that role for over two years and left back for I don't know how many others. If he can't play it by now there is something far wrong.

Surely a professional footballer should be able to cross a ball to beat the first defender?

He's clearly limited and if I was improving the team that would be the first place I would improve. Think about how many more chances we would have in a game with decent crosses from the left.

Ive said it already; either Stevenson in a trad 442 where you expect your left mid to supply most of the crosses, or stick with wingbacks and either buy someone else or give Crane a bash.

FitbaFolkKen
10-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Ive said it already; either Stevenson in a trad 442 where you expect your left mid to supply most of the crosses, or stick with wingbacks and either buy someone else or give Crane a bash.

Totally agree - in a perfect world he would improve his crossing but I think it is a bit late now!

ekhibee
10-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Yep, totally agree with this. His corners were good and you could see he was working hard, but there was hardly any worthwhile delivery to him at all.

JOD
10-12-2016, 08:59 PM
iT WAS HARD TO

northstandhibby
10-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Half decent performance, good result!

:agree:

Got to be happy with the three points.

matty_f
10-12-2016, 09:05 PM
iT WAS HARD TO

Good point, well made.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Okay, if there is any consensus that is emerging it is: 'happy with the three points but the performance must improve with the more difficult games ahead, if we are to stay top.'

Morton at Cappielow will tell us a lot. It's the only game in the last nine (apart also from their draw against us) that United haven't won. If we pick up three points there, maybe we are as superiour a team to them as many people here seem to think. If we lose, we can polish off the injury excuses.

basehibby
10-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Playing 3 CBs at home to Dumbarton stifles our attacking options. We could have played 4 3 3 today with DM playing instead of a CB.

This - we were playing a sort of 343 first half which sounds attacking, but with three CBs and Bartley in central mid and with Grey and Stevenson as wide midfielders we were well short of creativity. I thought we looked better when McGeoch came on and would have been a lot more dominant with him on from the start in place of one of the CBs.

cabbageandribs1875
10-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Rocky injured - solid keeper
John MCGinn injured - best player in division
Fraser fyvie injured - 2nd best player in division
Mcgeogh - on bench
Cummings first start in 6 ( not match sharp)

The hysteria is frightening!

is it the same hysteria shown by some fans the last 3 seasons ?

IWasThere2016
10-12-2016, 10:23 PM
I think we're poor .. 3 games this season .. 1W 1D 1L .. and left unimpressed on each occasion.

Simple issue is the squad is poorer than last season's .. and I doubt the manager/player relationship is as strong as last season's either..

basehibby
10-12-2016, 10:24 PM
It was a good result and a not very good performance against not very good part-time opposition.

Hibs are missing McGinn & Fyvie quite badly, judging by what I saw today.

Not clear why Bartley started instead of McGeouch unless Lennon is trying to use McGeouch sparingly to protect him from further injury?

This occurred to me as well. McGeouch was our only available established midfielder not on the park from the start - I thought he maybe wanted to keep something in reserve in that department.

cabbageandribs1875
10-12-2016, 10:25 PM

yep, apart from some lovely crosses he put in to the box, it's quite sad that our striker is arguably the only player that can lift a ball past the first defender

basehibby
10-12-2016, 10:25 PM
3-5-2 doesn't work yet we keep winning with it? Hmmmm

Gray and Stevenson both good today

I thought we played 343 - Boyle was playing up front for me.

Andy74
10-12-2016, 10:26 PM
This occurred to me as well. McGeouch was our only available established midfielder not on the park from the start - I thought he maybe wanted to keep something in reserve in that department.

Agree. McGeough obviously needs his injuries managed. I think we took the view we should have won today without him.

Andy74
10-12-2016, 10:28 PM
I thought we played 343 - Boyle was playing up front for me.

I think Boyle played just where Shinnie had been playing as an attacking midfielder. If he had been properly up front we could have used him in behind. As it was he was having to run through with it himself from deeper.

basehibby
10-12-2016, 10:32 PM

:agree: Us Hibees are an irredeemable bunch of moaning basturds - as ably demonstrated by many posters on this thread.

sambajustice
10-12-2016, 10:38 PM
We should be able to play with our "not best" team and beat teams like Dumbarton (and other s41te like that). We did exactly that today, shows strength in depth really.

Someone posted 3 Central defenders stifles our attacking options, it doesnt, or at least shouldnt, it should give us MORE attacking options! What stifles the attacking options is playing a left back and a right back in the wing back positions. They're both defensive minded rather than attack minded. When we played 3 at the back in the "Sauzee Team" the guys who played on the left and the right were more attacking than Gray and Stevenson. Thats not a criticism of those 2, its just what it is. You wouldnt have put Stuart Lovell or John O'Neil in at left or right back really.

basehibby
10-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand why we can't get out of the championship and play good football doing so?

I honestly found myself so bored and frustrated at our play today. And I've never felt like that before.

Let's be honest. We were playing Dumbarton at home so sorry if I expect us to be able to play some attractive attacking football at times.

That really was hard viewing today.

Duh - three of our most creative midfield players were out injured today - when they are all playing we tend to look pretty easy on the eye. And we did look a bit better when we got McGeouch on the park for the last 20. Despite the injuries we still managed to win quite easily, even if it wasn't all that pretty - that'll do fine for me in the circumstances.

Andy74
10-12-2016, 10:42 PM
We should be able to play with our "not best" team and beat teams like Dumbarton (and other s41te like that). We did exactly that today, shows strength in depth really.

Someone posted 3 Central defenders stifles our attacking options, it doesnt, or at least shouldnt, it should give us MORE attacking options! What stifles the attacking options is playing a left back and a right back in the wing back positions. They're both defensive minded rather than attack minded. When we played 3 at the back in the "Sauzee Team" the guys who played on the left and the right were more attacking than Gray and Stevenson. Thats not a criticism of those 2, its just what it is. You wouldnt have put Stuart Lovell or John O'Neil in at left or right back really.

Spot on.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2016, 10:43 PM
The first 20 minutes were poor, but as we gradually got into the game only a fluke Dumbarton goal was going to cause us any problems but there's no doubt whatsoever that only Hanlon's goal saved us from being booed off at half time, because we simply weren't very good in the first 45.

We were a lot better in the second half without being brilliant ..... half way through the first half I was saying to my mate it was going to be a day for the result not the performance and so it proved. I have no idea why we needed Bartley today, if Lennon has any confidence in Scott Martin surely this was the day to give him his chance.

Once again Stevenson's shortcomings as a wingback were plain to see, cross after cross hit the first man and the couple of times he made room to get the ball across the box his delivery was weak and easily cleared .... I'm not picking on him, its just how he played today and he wasn't the only one failing to make things happen, most of the team were pretty lethargic until the last 20 minutes apart from Shinnie who deserved his MOTM award.

wookie70
10-12-2016, 10:45 PM

It does stifle our attacking options because of the players playing there. I want us to go back to 442. I quite like 532 but not with the present wingbacks. Lewis and SDG would be the fullbacks I would use and they would be asked to get forward.

stantonhibby
10-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Spot on.

Agreed..... apart from Laursen was our left back

Jonnyboy
10-12-2016, 10:49 PM
The boys a fanny

Is his name Warburton? You're right though :agree:

J-C
10-12-2016, 10:50 PM
It does stifle our attacking options because of the players playing there. I want us to go back to 442. I quite like 532 but not with the present wingbacks. Lewis and SDG would be the fullbacks I would use and they would be asked to get forward.

Unfortunately in this scenario we have no wide men apart from Boyle, the team is crying out for natural width and someone who can cross.

wookie70
10-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately in this scenario we have no wide men apart from Boyle, the team is crying out for natural width and someone who can cross.
Hopefully that will be sorted in a few weeks. When Harris is back I would give him a try for a couple of weeks. He hasn't impressed lately but then he hasn't been given much of a chance. Plenty of assists playing on loan last year. Harris on the left and Boyle on the right.

monktonharp
10-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Nope, to be honest I was bored. It wasn't a contest it was just us plugging away until we found a way to break through.

I thought Shinnie played well and Cummings was looking sharp with some nice link up play and really unlucky with the back heel first half. His dead ball delivery was a big improvement on recent weeks.

We looked far more dangerous when we replaced Bartley with Dylan.agree with your comments on Cummings. Shinnie, I am not convinced yet. won the mom again, but he seems to take forever to make a positive move around the box. he was very lucky not to get a red for his shocking challenge when he was never going to get the ball. overall, a poor performance and Stevenson seems to aim his crosses at the nearest defender to him. wins every time!

10-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Call me a daft **** if you want but the thought of two cup finals, an exciting cohesive team and the Scottish cup sound pretty magic. I'd take it instead of a premiership place.

Hibs have a massive feel good factor after the cup and Lennon seems to be completely discounting it. Just say "David gray is magic" or "1902" or "rangers ****s" instead of commenting every time some Celtic no mark changes their breeks. Hibs are bigger than Neil Lennon. Next time anyone asks him a question regarding anything out with Hibs the answer should be "I'm the hibs manager". Are Celtic
****s? "I'm the hibs manager" what's your thoughts on the trump election? "I am the hibs manager". It is that simple. **** your media commitments. Get. Hibs. Up.

sambajustice
10-12-2016, 11:42 PM

The system doesn't, the personnel does...

Which is exactly what I said! :aok:

Big90inOz
11-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Couldn't figure out the shape, not sure we had one.
3 centres , 2 full backs and a holding midfielder. Do we really need 6 in defence ? Love Lewis but he will never produce a threat , he is a defensive fullback.
In short we were all over the place and very poor.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 12:52 AM

Like it or not, we're a very average club. If you haven't noticed, great players don't tend to stick around these days. When it comes to winning things, he has played his part. That is a fact. Or are you going to write him off and suggest that we won those things with 10 men on the park? :rolleyes:

You are right, let's just stick with him. Silly of us wanting the team to improve.

Nobody is suggesting he didn't contribute but I certainly think as a team with international footballers in our squad we could find a left back that can cross a ball.

proud_and_green
11-12-2016, 10:24 AM

Playing like that, we will struggle.

Ball retention - poor

Passing accuracy - extremely poor

First touch passing - non existant

Movement off the ball - poor

Ball recycling after breaks in play - very slow

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Ball retention - poor

Result - win... the only thing that matters.

B.H.F.C
11-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Thought it was poor stuff yesterday. Won comfortably in the end but wasn't an enjoyable game whatsoever.

Too many defensively minded players in the team for me.

Eyrie
11-12-2016, 11:04 AM
You are right, let's just stick with him. Silly of us wanting the team to improve.

Nobody is suggesting he didn't contribute but I certainly think as a team with international footballers in our squad we could find a left back that can cross a ball.

Stevenson's deficiencies as a wing back were evident under Stubbs so Lennon had the opportunity last summer to bring in someone who offers more going forward. He didn't do so and, given the limited choices in January's transfer window, it would be highly optimistic to think that Lennon will suddenly find a better player.

On the other hand, we could play Stevenson (and Gray on the other side) in his natural position of full back and use genuine wide players who can stretch a defence.

R'Albin
11-12-2016, 11:11 AM
iT WAS HARD TO

Can't argue with that at all.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Stevenson's deficiencies as a wing back were evident under Stubbs so Lennon had the opportunity last summer to bring in someone who offers more going forward. He didn't do so and, given the limited choices in January's transfer window, it would be highly optimistic to think that Lennon will suddenly find a better player.

On the other hand, we could play Stevenson (and Gray on the other side) in his natural position of full back and use genuine wide players who can stretch a defence.

Yip, that would solve it, have we been linked with any wide men who can do this?

Eyrie
11-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Yip, that would solve it, have we been linked with any wide men who can do this?

Nope. No Finnish trialists, no Danny Swanson, no Kris Commons :boo hoo:

jacomo
11-12-2016, 11:37 AM
It may have been a poor performance but it wasn't a 'half decent' result. It was the perfect result.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Nope. No Finnish trialists, no Danny Swanson, no Kris Commons :boo hoo:

Is Danny Swanson not a wide player? :dunno:

sauzeelegod
11-12-2016, 01:10 PM
4-4-2.
Shinnie left mid, Boyle right. Dylan and Bartley in the middle.
Cummings and Graham up front. Sir David right back, Lewis left back. Hanlon and McGregor centre half.
I would like to see this next week.

cleanyman
11-12-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm not enjoying this season at all

Frustrating and horrible to watch

proud_and_green
11-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Aye but if we play like that against the better teams in the league we will struggle to get the win.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Aye but if we play like that against the better teams in the league we will struggle to get the win.

Morton next week is huge for us. If we play like we did yesterday we will drop points.

WhileTheChief..
11-12-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm not so sure. Yesterday wasn't pretty but it was effective.

If we play like that most weeks we will win most games. We were never in any danger of dropping points yesterday.

Play like we did against QotS and we will thump them 3 or 4 nil.

brog
11-12-2016, 02:51 PM
It's funny, I just watched the highlights & Stevenson figured on about 5 occasions. On 4 of these he found a Hibs player, including one great through ball to Boyle. David Gray meanwhile produced 2 excellent cross field passes one of which produced a goal & the other which resulted in JC's "offside" goal. I then watched Chelsea - WBA & saw 2 fullbacks worth £millions fail to get a decent cross in all game. In fact the commentators specifically mentioned that WBA were happy to leave Azpilicueta free as he was unlikely to hurt them. That's exactly what teams do against us. They leave Lewis free but still block his route to the bye line thereby forcing him to cross from wide out into a crowded box. I'm disappointed that Lennon doesn't seem to have worked this out & doesn't change his 3 centre back system, particularly at home against lower ranked teams. At least this week we used PH much more as our defensive free player & he was much better at this than LF was last week.

hhibs
11-12-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm not so sure. Yesterday wasn't pretty but it was effective.

If we play like that most weeks we will win most games. We were never in any danger of dropping points yesterday.

Play like we did against QotS and we will thump them 3 or 4 nil.

We were in danger of dropping points right up to the second goal IMO.

Albanian Hibs
11-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Ball retention - poor

The table doesnt lie. At the end of the day we got 3pts. I dont care if we play like that and win every match til the end of the season.

NAE NOOKIE
11-12-2016, 03:04 PM

Yes it is the only thing that matters. But if you want to keep winning you cant just ignore an at best average performance because we won the game.

If there is one lesson we surely have to have learned from our few rubbish seasons prior to relegation is that ignoring signs that we need to improve is the road to madness ..... if we play like that away to the likes of Falkirk or at Morton next Saturday we might not get beat, but we will struggle to win and I doubt anybody will argue that we are in a position where any dropped points will have a huge impact.

brog
11-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Aye your right, last season 1st December - Rangers 4-0 Dumbarton (two goals in last 9 minutes, 'skooshed')

12th December rangers 2-2 Morton ('skooshed')
19th December Falkirk 2-1 rangers ('skooshed')

At this point they were 0 points clear, ahead only on goal difference, after being well clear at one point.. sound familiar? Wonder how it finished again.

Your stats are a bit selective & ignore the fact that Sevco scored 14 goals in their next 3 games after those you quote, including unfortunately 4 against us & ahem, 6 away at Dumbarton. There was also a very good reason why Sevco were only ahead of us on goal difference at this time last season & that was because we only dropped 2 points in the period from 23 Aug until 12 December. This season we've dropped 14 points in that same period! I still think we'll win the league but that statistic is concerning.

J-C
11-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Is Danny Swanson not a wide player? :dunno:

So is the Finnish lad Alho, out and out winger.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 03:41 PM
So is the Finnish lad Alho, out and out winger.

Good, at least we are being linked to some.

Wee Effen Bee
11-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Aye, and if yer auntie had baws, she'd be yer uncle!

if, if, if!

RamblingJack
11-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Bring back Marinello!

greenpaper55
11-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Teams come to ER and pack the midfield, result very difficult to break down. Their game plan like many others is to frustrate and it sounds like it did that to many of the posters on here ! Look at Man City yesterday, on paper they should have walked that game but were made to look like a team of amateurs, a win is a win even though it's not pretty stuff.

Fuzzywuzzy
11-12-2016, 04:20 PM
I did question why I was there at one point the football was so bad. One thing that stood out to me (again) was the speed of laidlaws distribution. Never had anything to do but when he got the ball he killed the game. Crossing was absolutely shan but there were also moments when Stevenson was standing in acres of space and just didn't get the ball passed to him (assuming that the rest of the team know his crossing is brutal).

We really need to up our game to get out of this league and need to do it soon. We do lose our way when key midfielders are out.

SRHibs
11-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I did question why I was there at one point the football was so bad. One thing that stood out to me (again) was the speed of laidlaws distribution. Never had anything to do but when he got the ball he killed the game. Crossing was absolutely shan but there were also moments when Stevenson was standing in acres of space and just didn't get the ball passed to him (assuming that the rest of the team know his crossing is brutal).

We really need to up our game to get out of this league and need to do it soon. We do lose our way when key midfielders are out.

Both of those things I remarked on at the game. Didn't seem to be an awful lot of trust in LS from our players.

Keith_M
11-12-2016, 04:31 PM
As an aside...

I see Aberdeen's attendance yesterday was 11,501, about 2,300 less than at ER.

We now seem to be firmly established as the fourth highest supported club in Scotland, despite being in the championship. I think that shows the potential that exists at ER if we could just get promoted this season.

Apologies for being positive

:wink:

HibernianJK
11-12-2016, 04:36 PM

You think that if his crossing was better he'd be playing at a level much higher than hibs? Are you ok?

Smartie
11-12-2016, 04:48 PM

I wonder if this is why his crossing is sometimes poor though?

It's easier to put in a decent cross when you're in acres of space and have time to pick a man or a run out. It's harder when you're under pressure from a defender or you're running at pace. Stevenson always seems to be under pressure when he's crossing it.

I've seen him hit plenty of decent deliveries in the past but there's no escaping his final ball isn't good enough at the moment.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 05:14 PM
As an aside...

I see Aberdeen's attendance yesterday was 11,501, about 2,300 less than at ER.

We now seem to be firmly established as the fourth highest supported club in Scotland, despite being in the championship. I think that shows the potential that exists at ER if we could just get promoted this season.

Apologies for being positive

:wink:

Don't worry if we keep playing like that we'll be back down to 9k!

Had to nip that positivity ;)

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Your stats are a bit selective & ignore the fact that Sevco scored 14 goals in their next 3 games after those you quote, including unfortunately 4 against us & ahem, 6 away at Dumbarton. There was also a very good reason why Sevco were only ahead of us on goal difference at this time last season & that was because we only dropped 2 points in the period from 23 Aug until 12 December. This season we've dropped 14 points in that same period! I still think we'll win the league but that statistic is concerning.

They are selective as they are the exact same weekends as this, against the exact teams that you say Rangers put 4/5/6 past and 'skooshed'.. my clear point is they did not skoosh every game against these sides. You could say the same about united, they have only dropped 4 points since mid September... Like it or not, we are top on goal difference, exactly where the skooshers were last season. We cried for a better goal difference as That's what supposedly killed us last season, we have done that. I'll be far more concerned if we are off the pace with 5 games to go, rather than setting the pace at the half way stage, nearly.

brog
11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
They are selective as they are the exact same weekends as this, against the exact teams that you say Rangers put 4/5/6 past and 'skooshed'.. my clear point is they did not skoosh every game against these sides. You could say the same about united, they have only dropped 4 points since mid September... Like it or not, we are top on goal difference, exactly where the skooshers were last season. We cried for a better goal difference as That's what supposedly killed us last season, we have done that. I'll be far more concerned if we are off the pace with 5 games to go, rather than setting the pace at the half way stage, nearly.

I dont think ive ever used the word skooshed in my life! You may want to check the posters.

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 07:20 PM
I dont think ive ever used the word skooshed in my life! You may want to check the posters.

Potentially not you, however the poster I quoted earlier these stats mentioned it, hence the 'selective games'.

wookie70
11-12-2016, 07:26 PM
It's funny, I just watched the highlights & Stevenson figured on about 5 occasions. On 4 of these he found a Hibs player, including one great through ball to Boyle. David Gray meanwhile produced 2 excellent cross field passes one of which produced a goal & the other which resulted in JC's "offside" goal. I then watched Chelsea - WBA & saw 2 fullbacks worth £millions fail to get a decent cross in all game. In fact the commentators specifically mentioned that WBA were happy to leave Azpilicueta free as he was unlikely to hurt them. That's exactly what teams do against us. They leave Lewis free but still block his route to the bye line thereby forcing him to cross from wide out into a crowded box. I'm disappointed that Lennon doesn't seem to have worked this out & doesn't change his 3 centre back system, particularly at home against lower ranked teams. At least this week we used PH much more as our defensive free player & he was much better at this than LF was last week.

I watched a game a few weeks ago after Stevenson had been slaughtered for his crossing. At the game I thought it was very poor too. When watching it back he put a decent number of good balls into the box and was far from the worst offender. The emotion at the game can take over and however much I would love to think it doesn't when you hear loads of fans giving him stick it is difficult for some of those criticisms not to influence your thinking. When you want games back in the cold light of day it is easy to see why Lewis continues to get his game manager after manager.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2016, 07:31 PM
I watched a game a few weeks ago after Stevenson had been slaughtered for his crossing. At the game I thought it was very poor too. When watching it back he put a decent number of good balls into the box and was far from the worst offender. The emotion at the game can take over and however much I would love to think it doesn't when you hear loads of fans giving him stick it is difficult for some of those criticisms not to influence your thinking. When you want games back in the cold light of day it is easy to see why Lewis continues to get his game manager after manager.

He's got one assist all season. In over 1300 minutes, the delivery isn't good enough.

Smartie
11-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Not trying to defend Lewis here, but I've watched a lot of football today and it has struck me how poor the standard of many crosses are, many hitting the first man.

Maybe it's not that easy?

HoboHarry
11-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Not trying to defend Lewis here, but I've watched a lot of football today and it has struck me how poor the standard of many crosses are, many hitting the first man.

Maybe it's not that easy?

I was thinking the same watching Jordan Henderson today. This forum seems to have a fair number of folk who have only ever played footie on game systems.

brog
11-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Potentially not you, however the poster I quoted earlier these stats mentioned it, hence the 'selective games'.

Your quote was " the exact teams that you say Rangers put 4/5/6 past & skooshed." I never made either of those comments, not potentially!

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Your quote was " the exact teams that you say Rangers put 4/5/6 past & skooshed." I never made either of those comments, not potentially!

I couldn't really care less if you said it or not, you quoted my reply to someone who did say it, telling me not to be selective, although it was a direct answer to the previous poster.

Unseen work
11-12-2016, 08:36 PM
For me it's the timing of stevensons crosses.

He seems to always take that extra touch, allowing defenders to get back in position, regroup and out number our attackers.

A quick delivery from flanks would result in more goals imo.

He is very guilty of waiting, doing a cruyff turn, looking for fyvie, going back on his left foot and then crossing it whilst the ball is stuck under his feet

brog
11-12-2016, 11:00 PM
I couldn't really care less if you said it or not, you quoted my reply to someone who did say it, telling me not to be selective, although it was a direct answer to the previous poster.

Now you're just making it up. I didn't quote you & I didn't tell you anything. I suggested you made selective use of statistics which you agreed you did, with an explanation why. It's wrong however on this forum to wrongly accuse someone of saying something & then saying you don't care when challenged. Just hold your hand up, I & many others have got it wrong before & said so.

hibbysam
11-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Now you're just making it up. I didn't quote you & I didn't tell you anything. I suggested you made selective use of statistics which you agreed you did, with an explanation why. It's wrong however on this forum to wrongly accuse someone of saying something & then saying you don't care when challenged. Just hold your hand up, I & many others have got it wrong before & said so.

You didn't quote me saying I used selective stats? Which I did so to answer a previous posters points where they said Rangers skooshed these same teams? Of course they are going to be selective, selecting the same teams and games that Rangers supposedly 'skooshed' and you had an issue with me choosing these games... Strange.

You also spoke about me 'ignoring their next three games' even though we haven't played those 'next three games' yet. I'll certainly come back to this after we play united at the start of January.

brog
12-12-2016, 11:25 AM
You didn't quote me saying I used selective stats? Which I did so to answer a previous posters points where they said Rangers skooshed these same teams? Of course they are going to be selective, selecting the same teams and games that Rangers supposedly 'skooshed' and you had an issue with me choosing these games... Strange.

You also spoke about me 'ignoring their next three games' even though we haven't played those 'next three games' yet. I'll certainly come back to this after we play united at the start of January.

I know I shouldn't rise to this but when you use quotations as above you're actually meant to use the exact words, not your interpretation of it. Here's what I actually said, Your stats are a bit selective & ignore the fact that Sevco scored 14 goals in their next 3 games after those you quote, including unfortunately 4 against us & ahem, 6 away at Dumbarton. I thought the Dumbarton bit was fairly relevant to the thread about Saturday's game against Dumbarton! I enjoy many of your posts but you now seem to be almost arguing with yourself & I'm in danger of doing likewise! :wink:

hibbysam
12-12-2016, 04:00 PM
I know I shouldn't rise to this but when you use quotations as above you're actually meant to use the exact words, not your interpretation of it. Here's what I actually said, Your stats are a bit selective & ignore the fact that Sevco scored 14 goals in their next 3 games after those you quote, including unfortunately 4 against us & ahem, 6 away at Dumbarton. I thought the Dumbarton bit was fairly relevant to the thread about Saturday's game against Dumbarton! I enjoy many of your posts but you now seem to be almost arguing with yourself & I'm in danger of doing likewise! :wink:

Apologies, I missed a word or two out... Your point, however, was that I quoted 3 games, and then failed to mention there next three games, which haven't been yet. We may also score 14 in our next 3, highly unlikely, however we won't know that. I didn't see the need in you calling me out over "Selective" stats (Better? :greengrin) when I was answering a previous poster who mentioned that Rangers & Hearts were "Skooshing" these teams, all I was doing was advising that in these exact same games, at the exact same time of year, Rangers also struggled to break them down, and dropped points in said games.

The reason I compare both us this season, and Rangers last season is at this time of year we are ahead on GD just like Rangers were last season, and we have a game coming up with Dundee United, at home, like Rangers were with us last season, with a chance to put a marker down and pull away.