PDA

View Full Version : Commons yes or no?

Pages : [1] 2

Hibby soldier
08-12-2016, 06:53 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-eye-celtic-s-kris-commons-in-bid-to-strengthen-title-tilt-1-4312674

Nicho87
08-12-2016, 06:54 PM
100% yes.

Unseen work
08-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Yes.

We are nowhere near the level to turn down a player of his ability

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Yes please.

Mr White
08-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Affirmative.

Big_Franck
08-12-2016, 07:02 PM
A fit Commons would be a no brainer. This might end up similar to what happened with Stokes in that he'll just be hitting full match sharpness towards the end of the championship season. He's not played a game since April. If we are going to spend a wedge on one stand out signing in January i'd much prefer him to be match fit.

BigKev
08-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Hell yes!

bingo70
08-12-2016, 07:09 PM
not sure.

I think he should/could be a good signing but I'm always a bit nervous about getting players in for what will possibly be the last few months of their career. I just think of Jonathon johanson, junior agogo and I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

He's never had any pace to lose so I suppose that should count in his favour and we've certainly missed someone that could stick the ball in the net from outside the box.

In short, every rational part of me thinks he'd be a great signing but my gut feeling is that he could well be passed it.

High-On-Hibs
08-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Always wary of signing players looking for a final pay cheque. Not to say he doesn't have the ability to do a job for us. But whether he'd actually bother or not after signing the dotted line is another matter.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Has to be questions about his fitness. Don't want a rerun of Johanson.

Mr White
08-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Always wary of signing players looking for a final pay cheque. Not to say he doesn't have the ability to do a job for us. But whether he'd actually bother or not after signing the dotted line is another matter.

He wouldn't necessarily be looking for a final pay cheque though. If, for example, he signed on loan till the end of the season he'd most likely be looking at a reduction in pay. That would show a hunger to play imo.

Teapot
08-12-2016, 07:23 PM
No doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libby Hibby
08-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Yes

lucky
08-12-2016, 07:24 PM
He would be the best player since sauzee. Real class and proven winner in Scotland

Scouse Hibee
08-12-2016, 07:25 PM
No brainer for me,to get a player of his quality would be a great signing.

Last Minute
08-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Yes please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southsider
08-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Yes please

Aye and bring Hendo with you.

Last Minute
08-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Aye and bring Hendo with you.

I'm trying [emoji6]

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2016, 07:36 PM
I cant make a reasoned view on this, as i dont know how fit he is? :confused:

California-Hibs
08-12-2016, 07:39 PM
He would be the best player since sauzee. Real class and proven winner in Scotland

This!! It's a big statement to make but I've said it also myself. He'd be an absolute hell of a signing!

It's the rumour I've been keeping my eye on most. Please Hibs!

ancient hibee
08-12-2016, 07:43 PM

That's it for me.

Pretty Boy
08-12-2016, 07:43 PM
If he's even 75% of the player he was at his best then absolutely yes.

iwasthere1972
08-12-2016, 07:51 PM
It's a big fat yes from me.

rotherhamrob
08-12-2016, 07:59 PM
I think he'd be a great signing.
As others have said he doesn't have any pace to lose and regarding his fitness,if he only lasts an hour in each game,that could be enough to break some teams down.

SRHibs
08-12-2016, 08:01 PM
His name's a bit too common. Enzo Reale for me!

Stax
08-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Definitely a yes from me. I understand concerns about fitness but as long as hes at full tilt at the business end of the season I can't see why wouldn't take him if we can. Proven pedigree and good relationship with the manager.

Hi Heid Yin
08-12-2016, 08:05 PM
A fit Kris Commons then yes!

wookie70
08-12-2016, 08:06 PM
A fit Commons would be a no brainer. This might end up similar to what happened with Stokes in that he'll just be hitting full match sharpness towards the end of the championship season. He's not played a game since April. If we are going to spend a wedge on one stand out signing in January i'd much prefer him to be match fit.

That is my view too. Stokes was amazing in the final but over the time he was here, without that game, I'm not sure it would be described as a successful signing. If Commons is cheap then it might be worthwhile but if we can get a good to go quality youngster with potential sell on then that is the route I would prefer. One thing for sure we need 3 or 4 players who offer more than what we have at present.

Dunbar Hibee
08-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Not even a question. **** aye.

Hibs1972
08-12-2016, 08:55 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-eye-celtic-s-kris-commons-in-bid-to-strengthen-title-tilt-1-4312674

Yes please Celtic,that'll be just great thanks,if Henderson comes along as well,we'll all be happy!!

#FromTheCapital
08-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Are we really in a position to turn down the likes of Commons joining us for half a season? It's a no-brainer - Yes.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Are we really in a position to turn down the likes of Commons joining us for half a season? It's a no-brainer - Yes.

Half a season in the team or half a season on the dreaded "two weeks " list?

IberianHibernian
08-12-2016, 09:29 PM
If all goes to plan we`ll have 17 league games and 5 cup ones from January to May . If he`s fit enough to make an impact in at least 20 games then yes . Most of his wages would still be paid by Celtic who would presumably prefer to get more / all of his wages paid by another club , in England presumably . Also , is there a limit on number of loan players from one club ? Could we get anyone else from Celtic too ? Presumably at least 1 more if we had Henderson and Stokes last season .

heretoday
08-12-2016, 09:33 PM
He got class and intelligence. We need more of both.

.Sean.
08-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Poor man's Henderson

Just pay the dough and bring Henderson back

**** Commons, Christie, GMS. Just sign Henderson.

DAE IT!

Scottie
08-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Hell yeah NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO brainer surely :thumbsup:

shetlandhibee
08-12-2016, 09:42 PM
yes please:aok:

mca
08-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Pay When u Play kinda Contract .. must be.. :wink:

snooky
08-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Need to sort out a deal re. his £20k a week wages he's getting from Celtc.

I suggest Celtc pay him £10k and Celtc pay Hibs £10k.
That would probably clinch it for me. :cb

Tamhere1875
08-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Is Commons match fit? If not how long to get him match fit . These are things that have to be taken into consideration.

Ronniekirk
08-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Is Commons match fit? If not how long to get him match fit . These are things that have to be taken into consideration.

This for me as he will take up a big wage But if he scores goals stays fiit and creates chances for others he would be an assett and has experience to maybe turn a game off the bench if he isnt up to the 90 minutes initially

Sir David Gray
08-12-2016, 10:21 PM
If he's fit then absolutely yes.

keep the faith
08-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Would be very surprised if he is fit enough to contribute enough in a period crucial to our future.
Hopefully I'm wrong - he was a fine player, but it's not a signing I'm confident about.

ancient hibee
08-12-2016, 10:23 PM
If he comes to ER in January he won't have played for around 9 months so the answer is nowhere near match fit.How long to get fit?Well it certainly doesn't get any easier as you get older.

snooky
08-12-2016, 10:56 PM
If he comes to ER in January he won't have played for around 9 months so the answer is nowhere near match fit.How long to get fit?Well it certainly doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Exactly. Is he fit like (as the Sheep would say).

Swedish hibee
08-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Am I first to say no?

J-C
08-12-2016, 10:59 PM
A big yes, Internationalist, extremely clever, talented and will be someone who can unlock a defence, he never was known for pace but t's the pace of his footballing brain we need, plus he's a winner.

Vini1875
08-12-2016, 11:06 PM
By the time he is fit Fyfie and McGinn would be back. Good player no doubt but would not take him if we had the chance to get Henderson as a Hibs player not on loan. We really need players who can hit the gorund running.

Hibee Mac
08-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Honestly? No.

Fitness and age will together be an issue and all for a large chunk of the wages too.

I feel our money could be spent wiser but I'd love to be proved wrong.

monktonharp
08-12-2016, 11:45 PM
By the time he is fit Fyfie and McGinn would be back. Good player no doubt but would not take him if we had the chance to get Henderson as a Hibs player not on loan. We really need players who can hit the gorund running.cant see us having the chance to get Hendo as a player, rather than a loan? however, the man were on about....yes. has the credentials, as much as yer man Anthony Stokes had. Stokesy annoyed a few on here for weeks. a few weeks later he was the darling of the sidelines :greengrin. sign the man, we will need his sort come the end of the season

cabbageandribs1875
08-12-2016, 11:55 PM
only two sellick players i'd like, Henderson and Dembele, the latter won't happen, maybe a cheeky wee loan for the former might

pedroorange1875
09-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Commons that played for Celtic...absolutely yes no brainer....Commons that was out for Celtic 1 months...yes....Commons who has been out for 9 months and needs to hit the ground running, gelling with players straight away, having a massive impact (because that is the reality we need) in a brutal league that can be very physical.....no chance.

Chris Commons the Celtic player is a massive class above Hibs and the reason we can potentially get him is he is Chris Commons that may or may not be finished.....overall is that a gamble we can take. Maybe Neil knows...hope its the right decision because we as fans are living at the wrong end (league wise) of a lot these decisions

wills
09-12-2016, 12:19 AM
Sorry it's a no from me, been out of the game for too long. Will take about 6-8 weeks to get him match fit, funds required for his wages would be better spent on a younger player. Good player in his time but for me his best days are behind him

snooky
09-12-2016, 12:23 AM
only two sellick players i'd like, Henderson and Dembele, the latter won't happen, maybe a cheeky wee loan for the former might

Ahem,....... Sparky?

California-Hibs
09-12-2016, 01:06 AM

There are far more than 2 Celtic players that we would like. Let's be brutally honest here and not kid ourselves on. We'd bite their hands off for the majority of the squad they have!

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2016, 02:52 AM
Honestly? No.

Fitness and age will together be an issue and all for a large chunk of the wages too.

I feel our money could be spent wiser but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Agreed. We wouldn't be getting the Commons of 2 seasons ago. We'd be getting a fat, old guy who hasn't played football in a year.

Since90+2
09-12-2016, 05:16 AM

I think Kieran Tierney and Scott Sinclair would also marginally improve our first team. Maybe Griffiths and Patrick Roberts as well.

Betty Boop
09-12-2016, 05:59 AM
Agreed. We wouldn't be getting the Commons of 2 seasons ago. We'd be getting a fat, old guy who hasn't played football in a year.
Thisì

Pete
09-12-2016, 06:08 AM

:talkh:

So much crap being spouted right about Lennon, his personality and his signings right now I just don't know where this fits in.

Probably at the lower end but it least it's merited comment, unlike the other crap.

Heisenberg
09-12-2016, 06:12 AM
He would take too long to get match fit. Look how long it took Stokes and he is about 5 years younger and not as fat.

matty_f
09-12-2016, 06:43 AM

There's hope for me yet!

The Spaceman
09-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Absolutely. He's probably still got another couple of years in the tank and class of his magnitude doesn't fade quickly. We need a goal threat from outside the box/in midfield and he is our man.

JimBHibees
09-12-2016, 06:55 AM
Absolutely. He's probably still got another couple of years in the tank and class of his magnitude doesn't fade quickly. We need a goal threat from outside the box/in midfield and he is our man.

Agree the goal threat he would provide from shooting and set piece would be huge. Hopefully is fit though as he hasnt always looked the fittest athletically.

Islington Hibs
09-12-2016, 06:59 AM
not sure!

I am not really a fan of taking players right at the end of their career for three reasons a) they are past their prime b) they, in the past have often been on big money and may just be going through the motions c) there can be issues with the dressing room with ex stars. It might be expedient to sign him and clearly Holt is not cutting in and Keattings is injured but as a generalisation I think a bad idea. I would much prefer a Henderson who clearly wants to play for the club and is in his prime.

superfurryhibby
09-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Some blinkered football naivety on this thread. If he came in and made an impact after 9 months of no football then I'd be astonished. Match fitness comes from playing matches and we don't have the luxury of time on our side. So it's a massive nonthanks from me. Money is tight, lets use it sensibly and get someone in who can contribute from the start.

Smartie
09-12-2016, 07:50 AM
He'd be a risky one, no doubt about it.

Does anyone have any idea what his current fitness is like?

What I would say is that we're in a proper scrap to win this league and a lot of games will come down to fine margins. A player with a deadly set-piece delivery/ a shot from outside the box/ good final ball would be worth their weight in gold in this league, even if it's just coming on for the last 20 minutes in games. Harris has never made an impact off the bench - I'd take any player who could come on and turn a scrappy draw into a scrappy win.

Super_JMcGinn
09-12-2016, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=Superfuddyhibby;4875298]Some blinkered football naivety on this thread. If he came in and made an impact after 9 months of no football then I'd be astonished. Match fitness comes from playing matches and we don't have the luxury of time on our side. So it's a massive nonthanks from me. Money is tight, lets use it sensibly and get someone in who can contribute from the start.[/QUOTE

Spot on :aok: We shouldn't have to be gambling on a maverick signing to get us up, huge gamble and a huge no no.

Iain G
09-12-2016, 08:28 AM
not sure!

I am not really a fan of taking players right at the end of their career for three reasons a) they are past their prime b) they, in the past have often been on big money and may just be going through the motions c) there can be issues with the dressing room with ex stars. It might be expedient to sign him and clearly Holt is not cutting in and Keattings is injured but as a generalisation I think a bad idea. I would much prefer a Henderson who clearly wants to play for the club and is in his prime.

It took us a Sauzee and Paatelainen and Latapy to get us out of this division last time.

Even if he is not as mobile as once was, Commons deadball delivery would certainly add something to our attacking armoury. We just need to get promoted this year by winning the league, if Lennon thinks Commons will add something to our team and get us promoted then we should go for it.

JimBHibees
09-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Some blinkered football naivety on this thread. If he came in and made an impact after 9 months of no football then I'd be astonished. Match fitness comes from playing matches and we don't have the luxury of time on our side. So it's a massive nonthanks from me. Money is tight, lets use it sensibly and get someone in who can contribute from the start.

Of course it doesnt have to be an impact in terms of 90 mins starting with 30 mins or so will improve our goal threat and be an improvement in terms of quality. If at Celtic he will have been training and probably playing in bounce games and you would hope getting fitter if any inkling of a move in January.
If Neil happy with it would back his decision. A real threat from free kicks would be a big plus also.

green&left
09-12-2016, 08:34 AM
If Lennon, his coaches and our fitness staff see him as fit enough and an asset to the team thats good enough for me. If they don't then thats also good enough for me.

A helluva lot of fitness experts on this forum who probably can't run the length of themselves :yawn2::rotflmao:

Keith_M
09-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Yes.

While he might be out of favour at Celtc Park, I'm sure he'd do very well in our division and might just add the cutting edge we sometimes lack.

jacomo
09-12-2016, 08:41 AM

This is my concern too.

Ideally I'd be looking for someone who can bring energy and natural width to our side. I'd be more enthused by, say, GMS.

Andy74
09-12-2016, 08:56 AM

That's the trouble. We've signed decent quality players in the past for six months but they end up being classed as duds because it takes them so long to get fit and up to speed.

If he is anywhere near ready he would be a brilliant signing though.

jacomo
09-12-2016, 08:59 AM
If Lennon, his coaches and our fitness staff see him as fit enough and an asset to the team thats good enough for me. If they don't then thats also good enough for me.

A helluva lot of fitness experts on this forum who probably can't run the length of themselves :yawn2::rotflmao:

This is not a conversation about whether Commons was a good player. It's about whether he is right for us, in 2017, and there is legitimate debate about that given how little football he has played in the past year. Don't be such a bore.

hughio
09-12-2016, 09:14 AM
He got class and intelligence. We need more of both.

:agree:

Composure too...biggest thing missing in our offence

pacoluna
09-12-2016, 09:31 AM
I thought we would have been out looking for a left back, and if we were to add a midfielder I would prefer a winger preferably someone with pace and who has an end product.

Billy McKirdy
09-12-2016, 09:32 AM
no

snooky
09-12-2016, 09:35 AM
He would take too long to get match fit. Look how long it took Stokes and he is about 5 years younger and not as fat.

A very good point.

California-Hibs
09-12-2016, 09:36 AM

This. Because he's not been playing matches people automatically tie that into not going to the gym, not running, lifting weights, and generally have an image of a player who's a slob.

In the months leading up to my 1st marathon I wasn't training as hard as I had been and actually stopped my timed runs all together as I thought something had came up that would prevent me attending. Plans changed last minute (literally 2 days before the run) and you know what...I was still able to do it no problem because even though I had a few missed months training gap, the work and experience before hand got me through it.

Kris Commons will have been keeping himself fit to a certain degree no doubt.

JimBHibees
09-12-2016, 09:39 AM
A very good point.

I think to be fair Stokes had a couple of injuries which meant he wasnt able to get up to speed as quick as might have done.

147lothian
09-12-2016, 09:42 AM
A goal scoring midfielder, a sensation at a higher level than we are at, are we in a position to turn our noses up?

No brainer or me!

California-Hibs
09-12-2016, 09:43 AM

This myth has grown enough arms and legs. Stokes scored on his debut and the myth that he 'didn't come on to a game until the Cup Final' is over exaggerated keek! Was he perhaps not quite as explosive as some thoughts? Maybe so, however I believe that was down to the massively high expectations some had, not to mention carrying a niggling injury. Even when the guy wasn't scoring he was setting them up and making the keeper work.

Stokes was still the best striker at the club from day 1 to the cup final. His touch and movement alone set him apart. Some just couldn't see it and have jumped on this bandwagon that he had a very slow poor start. Maybe it's just me, but I was impressed with Stokes in practically 90% of the matches he played.

wookie70
09-12-2016, 09:46 AM
This. Because he's not been playing matches people automatically tie that into not going to the gym, not running, lifting weights, and generally have an image of a player who's a slob.

In the months leading up to my 1st marathon I wasn't training as hard as I had been and actually stopped my timed runs all together as I thought something had came up that would prevent me attending. Plans changed last minute (literally 2 days before the run) and you know what...I was still able to do it no problem because even though I had a few missed months training gap, the work and experience before hand got me through it.

Kris Commons will have been keeping himself fit to a certain degree no doubt.

How was your time and did other runners who were at your level who did train properly finish ahead of you. Hibs don't need to finish the race we need to win it.

CallumLaidlaw
09-12-2016, 09:49 AM
This myth has grown enough arms and legs. Stokes scored on his debut and the myth that he 'didn't come on to a game until the Cup Final' is over exaggerated keek! Was he perhaps not quite as explosive as some thoughts? Maybe so, however I believe that was down to the massively high expectations some had, not to mention carrying a niggling injury. Even when the guy wasn't scoring he was setting them up and making the keeper work.

Stokes was still the best striker at the club from day 1 to the cup final. His total ch and movement alone set him apart. Some just couldn't see it and have jumped on this bandwagon that he had a very slow poor start. Maybe it's just me, but I was impressed with Stokes in practically 90% of the matches he played.

Correct. From about March, stokes played well most weeks. He played a different role than we were used to with him coming deep to collect the ball. He certainly peaked at the cup final but his goals got us past Inverness, and he scored 9 in 25 plus the one Foderingham dropped in.

As for Commons, he has never exactly been a peak athlete. I don't think it would take long for him to get up to where we needed to be to be a big player for us.

Arch Stanton
09-12-2016, 09:59 AM

I don't get this about Stokes being unfit - he was putting in a power of work and lasting the full 90 mins from pretty much the off. Was he ever subbed looking weary as hell? Pretty sure not.

OK - so it was only really in the final that we saw just how good a free flowing forward he could be but for the rest he was still an important part of the team.

H18S NX
09-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Nah,rather have Henderson or swanson

jacomo
09-12-2016, 10:03 AM

Stokes was still the best striker at the club from day 1 to the cup final. His touch and movement alone set him apart. Some just couldn't see it and have jumped on this bandwagon that he had a very slow poor start. Maybe it's just me, but I was impressed with Stokes in practically 90% of the matches he played.

Both John Dolan and Stokes himself talk about how he wasn't playing at his best in the cup final documentary. They don't consider it a myth.

Seeing as you weren't at most of the games he played for us last season, I don't think you are the best person to judge.

California-Hibs
09-12-2016, 10:03 AM
How was your time and did other runners who were at your level who did train properly finish ahead of you. Hibs don't need to finish the race we need to win it.

I see your analogy - my time surpassed my expectations. I'm sure those who did train properly finished ahead of me - I did not win the race.

Kris Commons would surpass those who doubt him's expectations.....in my opinion.

Just Alf
09-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I don't get this about Stokes being unfit - he was putting in a power of work and lasting the full 90 mins from pretty much the off. Was he ever subbed looking weary as hell? Pretty sure not.

OK - so it was only really in the final that we saw just how good a free flowing forward he could be but for the rest he was still an important part of the team.

Agree with the Stokes bit, peeps seem to have forgotten, yes he wasn't 100% when he arrived (he hadn't been playing games so that would have been impossible), but when he was reaching 100% he did his back in and was sidelined from training for a few weeks then once more when he was ramping up on training he was hit with that flu bug (took down a few players if I remember).

As for Commons, 6 months or so ago I'd be 100% yes, now, I'm not so sure, although to be fair I've not seen or heard anything at all regarding his current "progress".

CallumLaidlaw
09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Both John Dolan and Stokes himself talk about how he wasn't playing at his best in the cup final documentary. They don't consider it a myth.

Seeing as you weren't at most of the games he played for us last season, I don't think you are the best person to judge.

That's a bit of a cheap shot.

I WAS at most games, nad thought Stokes played well most weeks. He wasn't scoring as many as we expected (and that was what I think Stokes and Doolan were referring to) but his performances were among the best in the team most weeks from March.

Unseen work
09-12-2016, 10:15 AM
The reason commons fitness doesn't concern me is because;

He has never been known for his fitness
He has always appeared slightly overweight
His game does not resolve around running like a mad man

His game has, and always will be his intelligence in and around the box and being able to score goals and set up for others. Something he will still be capabake of.

Although he has not played games recently he will still be training and eating like an athlete 5 times a week. He has not been on a bender since may and hasn't touched a ball since.

Couple of games for match sharpness, even at that I would think he would be fine.

supermcginn
09-12-2016, 10:24 AM
He's a top quality player and would be an unbelievable signing for a championship club, it's complete madness that some don't want him!!!!!

scoopyboy
09-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Yes from me.

nellio
09-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Yes fro me as well, we cannot IMO afford to turn down a player of his quality whilst we are still in the championship.

southfieldhibby
09-12-2016, 10:33 AM

Sauzee left Hibs 15 years ago. Are you honestly saying Commons would be a better player than anyone in those intervening years?

Murphy,Riordan,Griffiths,Brown,Thomson,McGinn,Whit taker,Fletcher,Sproule,Zoomer...off the top of my head.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player, but the version we'd be getting is 33, not played for almost 2 years and not exactly mobile.

HibbyScott
09-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Sauzee left Hibs 15 years ago. Are you honestly saying Commons would be a better player than anyone in those intervening years?

Murphy,Riordan,Griffiths,Brown,Thomson,McGinn,Whit taker,Fletcher,Sproule,Zoomer...off the top of my head.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player, but the version we'd be getting is 33, not played for almost 2 years and not exactly mobile.

Commons is head and shoulders, and quite a bit more about Ivan in terms of ability. Yes Sproule was exciting and very effective... but a not a technically great player IMO. Certainly nowhere near Commons, or any of the others that you've mentioned in terms of footballing ability.

Commons is a yes from me!

emerald green
09-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Real class and proven winner in Scotland

Proven winner in Scotland. Yes he was, but you have to remember he was playing for Celtic where winning is routine and expected. The opposition is virtually non existent.

Partick Thistle's manager is being quoted today as saying Celtic's second string could win the Scottish Premiership such is the gulf in quality.

southfieldhibby
09-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Commons is head and shoulders, and quite a bit more about Ivan in terms of ability. Yes Sproule was exciting and very effective... but a not a technically great player IMO. Certainly nowhere near Commons, or any of the others that you've mentioned in terms of footballing ability.

Commons is a yes from me!

Unfair on Ivan. Takes a certain degree of skill to score a hattrick at Ibrox, something Commons didn't manage. But I guess my point was we've had plenty players better than commons since Sauzee.

BigT-Hibeez
09-12-2016, 11:17 AM
this myth has grown enough arms and legs. Stokes scored on his debut and the myth that he 'didn't come on to a game until the cup final' is over exaggerated keek! Was he perhaps not quite as explosive as some thoughts? Maybe so, however i believe that was down to the massively high expectations some had, not to mention carrying a niggling injury. Even when the guy wasn't scoring he was setting them up and making the keeper work.

Stokes was still the best striker at the club from day 1 to the cup final. His touch and movement alone set him apart. Some just couldn't see it and have jumped on this bandwagon that he had a very slow poor start. Maybe it's just me, but i was impressed with stokes in practically 90% of the matches he played.

yes!

hughio
09-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Money's the rub innit if you agree as I and others do that Commons would add value.

NL is totally pally with Martin Reilley the agent for Commons.
Reilley will be negotiating with Lawell already I bet on who pays £20K pw till end of Commons contract.
Surely any contribution is good for Celtc.and playing is good for KC.

The hard talking won't be done till end of Jan when Lawell will see if there's any other interest.
I wonder what Hibs bottom line will be?
I'm guessing we'll offer £3K a week at the very last minute and it will all fall through.

If it was up to me I'd say to Lawell and the agent we will pay £5K a week now but will not be repeating this in Jan.
take it or leave it.

CRAZYHIBBY
09-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Ill drive commons to easter road myself

Swedish hibee
09-12-2016, 11:45 AM

I can.
So my no opinion must be correct then.

eastmainsmsh
09-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Yes

sixtwo
09-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Money's the rub innit if you agree as I and others do that Commons would add value.

Reilley will be negotiating with Lawell already I bet on who pays £20K pw till end of Commons contract.
Surely any contribution is good for Celtc.and playing is good for

The hard talking won't be done till end of Jan when Lawell will see if there's any other interest.
I'm guessing we'll offer £3K a week at the very last minute and it will all fall through.

If it was up to me I'd say to Lawell and the agent we will pay £5K a week now but will not be repeating this in Jan.
take it or leave it.

Martin Reilly is Lennons agent too. It was him who drove him to east mains to sign the deal with us. I've dealt with Martin with his other business interests outside football.

Stevie Reid
09-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Would take Commons in a heartbeat - no brainer for me. Any signing is a risk that might not work out, and his lack of playing time recently is rightly being highlighted as a slight concern by some - but if people genuinely are not thrilled at the prospect of signing someone with his track record when we are in the Championship, I'm stunned.

Re: the comments about him being injury prone - simply not true. He's been out of the picture at Celtic this season, but from when he signed until the end of last season he made 223 appearances, more than 40 a year on average. Talking of averages, he has averaged 15 goals a season in Scotland in the nearly six years he's been here, (91 goals in 175 starts/223 appearances) for a guy who's not an out and out striker that is really special. 9 goals in 33 games for Celtic last season suggests he's far from finished also.

Of course he's not the same player he was - that goes without saying. But even if he's 60% of that player he would have loads to offer us in the Championship. He's not had the best last couple of years due to Deila not seeming to rate him (given that that guy thought Nadir Cifti was a better option than Lee Griffiths, that's hardly a surprise) and then being out of the picture with Rodgers. But I'd be thrilled if we signed him.

Seveno
09-12-2016, 11:53 AM
The reason commons fitness doesn't concern me is because;

He has never been known for his fitness
He has always appeared slightly overweight
His game does not resolve around running like a mad man

His game has, and always will be his intelligence in and around the box and being able to score goals and set up for others. Something he will still be capabake of.

Although he has not played games recently he will still be training and eating like an athlete 5 times a week. He has not been on a bender since may and hasn't touched a ball since.

Couple of games for match sharpness, even at that I would think he would be fine.

I agree 99%. Just not too sure about his capabaking ability. :greengrin

California-Hibs
09-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Would take Commons in a heartbeat - no brainer for me. Any signing is a risk that might not work out, and his lack of playing time recently is rightly being highlighted as a slight concern by some - but if people genuinely are not thrilled at the prospect of signing someone with his track record when we are in the Championship, I'm stunned.

Re: the comments about him being injury prone - simply not true. He's been out of the picture at Celtic this season, but from when he signed until the end of last season he made 223 appearances, more than 40 a year on average. Talking of averages, he has averaged 15 goals a season in Scotland in the nearly six years he's been here, (91 goals in 175 starts/223 appearances) for a guy who's not an out and out striker that is really special. 9 goals in 33 games for Celtic last season suggests he's far from finished also.

Of course he's not the same player he was - that goes without saying. But even if he's 60% of that player he would have loads to offer us in the Championship. He's not had the best last couple of years due to Deila not seeming to rate him (given that that guy thought Nadir Cifti was a better option than Lee Griffiths, that's hardly a surprise) and then being out of the picture with Rodgers. But I'd be thrilled if we signed him.

That's a brilliant take on it right there 👍

Stevie Reid
09-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Nah,rather have Henderson or swanson

Swanson? I've heard many questions about his fitness and attitude over the years he has been discussed on here.

In 2013-14 Kris Commons scored almost as many goals (32) as Danny Swanson has in his whole career (37).

I'd love Henderson back but I'd take Commons over him right now with regards to getting out of the Championship.

Arch Stanton
09-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Surely any contribution is good for Celtc.and playing is good for KC.

take it or leave it.

Old style Hibs (ie RP) would have done the last gasp £3k offer but new style (LD) I'm sure would do it the second way - and could well be for more than £5k. We have money in the bank after all and end-January is just too late. It is also imperative we get promoted - worth megabucks to us.

JimBHibees
09-12-2016, 12:03 PM
If to happen hopefully prior to the United game on 6th Jan.

Albanian Hibs
09-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Yes please

snooky
09-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Swanson? I've heard many questions about his fitness and attitude over the years he has been discussed on here.

In 2013-14 Kris Commons scored almost as many goals (32) as Danny Swanson has in his whole career (37).

I'd love Henderson back but I'd take Commons over him right now with regards to getting out of the Championship.

I would think any decent player would score more goals playing for Celtc than for any of the 'also rans' (as the media see the rest of us).

Smartie
09-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I would think any decent player would score more goals playing for Celtc than for any of the 'also rans' (as the media see the rest of us).

Most would, but there have been a good few who thrive as a big fish in a small pond and get a bit lost at a bigger club.

I wouldn't be so quick to belittle the achievement of getting a move to a big club, establishing yourself then going on to thrive. It isn't all that easy.

Stevie Reid
09-12-2016, 01:31 PM

And I wouldn't disagree with that point. But my point is that Commons is a midfielder who scores goals, has done everywhere he's been - 160 in his career. In this transfer window we are looking to improve, to bring in players who will offer what we are lacking - creating chances is not a problem for us, but the amount we score can certainly improve. Our strikers' scoring ratios are good, but we lack goals from midfield.

Swanson can create chances no doubt, but he doesn't score many - Commons has scoring ratios from midfield that are better than many top strikers.

superfurryhibby
09-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Aye, Commons was a fairly gifted player in the SPL. However, he has been inactive for a significant amount of time and this is the crucial part. This is a guy who is 33 and who has barely kicked a ball for nearly a year by the time January comes around.

No matter how good he once was, he will still need to be fit enough to compete and at our level there is no shortage of effort and endeavour from the opposition. Once the legs have gone that is usually the end for players and whilst our coaches will no doubt consider this, will they really have that much opportunity to assess him?

Holt pefectly illustrates the point above. Once a player capable of scoring in the EPL, he has hardly struck fear into defences in the Scottish second tier, despite a decent pedigree.

The thing is that we are in a battle with a side who are on the up and up. Failure to be promoted would be a disaster and so far Lennon and his signings have not convinced in my book. This is arguably one of the most important windows ever for us. We have to get it right. I would be much more optimistic if we had the likes of Henderson and GMS coming in from Celtic.

snooky
09-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Most would, but there have been a good few who thrive as a big fish in a small pond and get a bit lost at a bigger club.

I wouldn't be so quick to belittle the achievement of getting a move to a big club, establishing yourself then going on to thrive. It isn't all that easy.

I agree entirely. I should have clarified my statement by saying if they had 10 games playing for Celtc and 10 games playing for one of the other clubs you would likely get more scoring opportunities and therefore more likelihood of scoring more playing with Celtc.
Not always the case, but generally true.

Iain G
09-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Unfair on Ivan. Takes a certain degree of skill to score a hattrick at Ibrox, something Commons didn't manage. But I guess my point was we've had plenty players better than commons since Sauzee.

And what a bloody amazing day that was :thumbsup:

Big L
09-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Has been a quality player, but I think this deal could be costly and it's definitely risky! Costly because he's apparently on £20k a week, the economics of this one will be interesting. Risky because he's 34 in the summer and hasn't played since mid March, 9 months out, it could take a hell of a long time to get him match fit. Not for me!

Smartie
09-12-2016, 02:37 PM
The potential cost of this deal has been brought up a few times - I don't know if it would be as costly a deal as some are making out.

Yes, he's on a lot of money at Celtic.

But they're unlikely to get anything for that money between now and the end of his contract. They may be happy to take a token contribution from us - it's better than nothing.

And it may be that we can offer him a lot more than just money. If he's had a few decent contracts from Celtic and his English clubs, he won't be short of a few bob - his priority may just be to get playing and enjoying his football whilst he still can - he'll be a long time retired. We may offer him a coaching role, he may fancy doing one of his favourite managers a favour - there are reasons why players do things other than just for the money.

I've sometimes been surprised at the quality of player who ends up in the SPFL late in their careers - how much would Jody Morris and Michael Duberry have been taking from St Johnstone? By all accounts both those players loved their time up here and managed to make a significant contribution in the twilight of their careers.

southsider
09-12-2016, 02:44 PM

Not playing & the fall out with Kris got Ronny the sack.

hibees 7062
09-12-2016, 02:45 PM
No brainer for me

ekhibee
09-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Aye, Commons was a fairly gifted player in the SPL. However, he has been inactive for a significant amount of time and this is the crucial part. This is a guy who is 33 and who has barely kicked a ball for nearly a year by the time January comes around.

No matter how good he once was, he will still need to be fit enough to compete and at our level there is no shortage of effort and endeavour from the opposition. Once the legs have gone that is usually the end for players and whilst our coaches will no doubt consider this, will they really have that much opportunity to assess him?

Holt pefectly illustrates the point above. Once a player capable of scoring in the EPL, he has hardly struck fear into defences in the Scottish second tier, despite a decent pedigree.

The thing is that we are in a battle with a side who are on the up and up. Failure to be promoted would be a disaster and so far Lennon and his signings have not convinced in my book. This is arguably one of the most important windows ever for us. We have to get it right. I would be much more optimistic if we had the likes of Henderson and GMS coming in from Celtic.
I wouldn't. Henderson is a great young player that played really well for us last season. But at the end of the day he was still part of a team that failed to get promoted, and finished third in the Championship. He didn't score many goals either. If you think Commons is a gamble, then so is GMS in my opinion. The majority of times he's played for Celtic he's not performed. Great player for DU, but that was a wee while ago now. It'd be great if we got even 1 of these players; it would be a brilliant coup by Lennon, but I certainly wouldn't be any more optimistic if we signed one instead of the other.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2016, 03:07 PM

So you are not allowed a comment unless you are an expert? That's a new one. Can you say what you are an expert in so that I can look back over your posts and consider them as facts?

Arch Stanton
09-12-2016, 03:12 PM

If NL's signings don't convince you then we're doomed whatever happens in January.:confused:

Happily I don't share your views so am not getting depressed. Lennon, better than anyone, is in a good position to guage what kind of shape Commons is in before offering him a contract.

lyonhibs
09-12-2016, 03:23 PM
This is not a conversation about whether Commons was a good player. It's about whether he is right for us, in 2017, and there is legitimate debate about that given how little football he has played in the past year. Don't be such a bore.

Class is permanent and if, as the man says, Lennon et al judge his fitness to be up to scratch then there's no debate to be had there either.

Given what we know he is capable of from a technical POV, I'm willing to trust those more qualified and in the know than any of us on the fitness point.

Trainor
09-12-2016, 03:37 PM
A fit Kris Commons then yes!

Agreed.

Anyone seen him recently? He's always looked like he's struggled with his weight!

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2016, 03:39 PM
I'd like to see a fit Chris Commons play behind a fit Grant Holt, i wonder what odds the bookies would give me on that ever happening?

Baader
09-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Can't understand the logic why anyone wouldn't want Commons at ER...

fulshie
09-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Can't understand the logic why anyone wouldn't want Commons at ER...I agree however, it depends on the deal. There is quiet rumblings sounding out that we could see Commons and Henderson coming to us in Jan with John McGinn going the other way at the season end. I don't think that would be good business as, if we get promoted then I don't think Commons will be any good to us. Of course this is just all hearsay, but Commons with nothing else but Commons then YES.

oldbutdim
09-12-2016, 03:51 PM
I couldn't understand him not getting a game under Delia. He was clearly one of the best players at the club.

I'd love to see him at Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Can't understand the logic why anyone wouldn't want Commons at ER...

Perhaps you'd be wise to read through this thread then, but from what i have read some folk are just a little worried about the amount of time he's not played any football matches?

I think, although not 100% sure, that this is what they are basing their opinions on? :wink:

Paisley Hibby
09-12-2016, 04:01 PM

Spot on. But as he hasn't played since April and he's 33 years old it would be pretty surprising if this is a good idea for us.

Oscar T Grouch
09-12-2016, 04:21 PM
It's seems we have a hell of a lot of Celtc fitness coaches here in .net who all know that Commons is unfit and past it at 33. He's not played for them for a long time because Rodgers doesnae fancy him and he was injured at the end of delias reign. We all assume that celtc are so unprofessional that they'd let a squad player become unfit. As far as I am aware he still trains with the 1st team and will probably be workin hard to keep fit. He knows his time at celtc is up so why would a player in that situation let himself go so much that it would prevent other teams even thinking of taking him on.
Personally I will put my trust in the footballing department at ER who, if this is a genuine goer will assess Commons and judge wether he is a decent addition to the squad. If he's even half the player he was at celtc, even if no match fit, would make an impact in this league. He's got talent in bucket loads and that doesn't disappear over the space of 9 months.

shetlandhibee
09-12-2016, 04:31 PM
80 goals from 200 odd games for celtic from the midfield?, most scored from outside the box if hes half as good as he once was he IMO would be an outstanding addition to the squad till the summer( he,d be going all out to prove a lot of people wrong thinking he,s finished, and putting himself in the shop window for the summer)IMHO if hibs get commons in january he,d get 10 plus goals bye end of season and hibs would be clear champions........:agree:

Hibernia&Alba
09-12-2016, 04:33 PM
I don't get why he's out of favour at Celtic; he's always looked a really good player. Definitely sign him if possible.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2016, 04:40 PM
It's seems we have a hell of a lot of Celtc fitness coaches here in .net who all know that Commons is unfit and past it at 33. He's not played for them for a long time because Rodgers doesnae fancy him and he was injured at the end of delias reign. We all assume that celtc are so unprofessional that they'd let a squad player become unfit. As far as I am aware he still trains with the 1st team and will probably be workin hard to keep fit. He knows his time at celtc is up so why would a player in that situation let himself go so much that it would prevent other teams even thinking of taking him on.
Personally I will put my trust in the footballing department at ER who, if this is a genuine goer will assess Commons and judge wether he is a decent addition to the squad. If he's even half the player he was at celtc, even if no match fit, would make an impact in this league. He's got talent in bucket loads and that doesn't disappear over the space of 9 months.

I have put my trust in numerous managers over the years, who have signed players we've all thought might be good for us, and guess what, a fair amount of them have not.

I have read someone else say he'd take a 60% fit Commons, now you say a half the player celtic had would be ok for us.

Why would half the player be good enough for us, and why would we take someone who was only 60% fit? And signing Commons would not address the positions we clearly need much more addressed ie width and pace, and another left back.

silverhibee
09-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Spot on. But as he hasn't played since April and he's 33 years old it would be pretty surprising if this is a good idea for us.

If he has been training all the time then he will have some level of fitness, the worry is that it doesn't seem he has even played in bounce games or development games so no game time for a good while now which is the biggest concern, with him having a back problem a while back that if we try to give him game time to get his fitness up is heavy pitches at that time of the year and Astro pitch s could be a problem for him as well, the big fear is him picking up wee niggly injuries after not playing for a good while on these pitches, it will be a big risk to take, but I think Lennon will try to get it pushed through and hope Commons can do a job for Hibs as Lennon needs to get us promoted this season and he has previous for putting pressure on a clubs board to release funds in windows to strengthen his team, something Lennon has been doing recently, hopefully Leeann is ready to back him.

ancient hibee
09-12-2016, 05:05 PM
In fact you have no idea whether he trains with the first team or not.As he's getting twenty grand a week for sitting around doing nothing you don't know either whether he's keeping himself fit or not.I'm not attacking you just pointing out that none of us know what the situation is.Clearly we would all take Commons as he was,equally clearly nobody wants money wasted on a guy that can't cut it anymore.The only indisputable fact is that the present and past Celtic managers did not think his skills are sufficient to make up for the fact that he can't play the pressing game required from midfielders these days.

Oscar T Grouch
09-12-2016, 05:16 PM
I have put my trust in numerous managers over the years, who have signed players we've all thought might be good for us, and guess what, a fair amount of them have not.

I have read someone else say he'd take a 60% fit Commons, now you say a half the player celtic had would be ok for us.

Why would half the player be good enough for us, and why would we take someone who was only 60% fit? And signing Commons would not address the positions we clearly need much more addressed ie width and pace, and another left back.

I would say that recruitment has improved since LD arrived at the club. The system in place now seems to employ more decent footballers than duds. I would prefer a fully fit Commons but if he starts at lower fitness than that it wouldn't take him long to get up to speed. Commons would address a massive problem we've had recently, scoring goals from midfield. I am in no way suggesting that he should be the only signing in January but I think he'd improve the current side. We obviously need wingers who can cross past the first defender and I am sure those positions will be high on the priority list for NL, probably above the Commons deal.
Like I said, I'm happy to let George Craig et al deal with signing and if Commons is deemed good enough I'm happy enough to see a really talented footballer pull on a Hibs shirt. If he doesn't then hopefully we can find that quality elsewhere.

Oscar T Grouch
09-12-2016, 05:27 PM
In fact you have no idea whether he trains with the first team or not.As he's getting twenty grand a week for sitting around doing nothing you don't know either whether he's keeping himself fit or not.I'm not attacking you just pointing out that none of us know what the situation is.Clearly we would all take Commons as he was,equally clearly nobody wants money wasted on a guy that can't cut it anymore.The only indisputable fact is that the present and past Celtic managers did not think his skills are sufficient to make up for the fact that he can't play the pressing game required from midfielders these days.

No I don't know if he is or not but I would assume that he is or given the over exposure in the media on all things celtc then we would probably hear about it. Do you think the Hibs recruitment team waste money on him if he's no good for the job?
I would say the current celtc manager doesn't rate him. Delia seemed to until his injury? I have no clue as to what his wages has to do with his fitness, personnally if I was Commons I'd be making sure I was in top condition so I could get at least one more contract before the end of my career. Like you say none of us on here know what he's like atm but I'm willing to trust Hibs staff to assess that. I doubt anyone who has said on here that he is fat and unfit know that, just like I don't know he's not, I just see the logical side of the situation, unless Commons is planning on quitting football all together then you'd assume he would be fit and ready for football.

Baader
09-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Perhaps you'd be wise to read through this thread then, but from what i have read some folk are just a little worried about the amount of time he's not played any football matches?

I think, although not 100% sure, that this is what they are basing their opinions on? :wink:
Already read through the thread thanks. I've enough faith in our coaching staff to assess a players fitness and determine whether they can do a job for us.

Need to remember the league we are in. Commons is well above this level. Even at 75% he'd be a standout.

The Modfather
09-12-2016, 05:38 PM
As long as it doesn't take too long for him to get match fit I would be happy enough if we were to sign him in January.

My concern would be if this signing took up most of our budget. I'm all for genuine quality over quantity, but we have a few positions we desperately need to strengthen. Namely attacking width. So not sure if we strengthened the midfield with just Commons if that would be enough. We would still be short on pace and width.

In saying that, Commons scores goals, which is chronically in short supply in our midfield.

Big L
09-12-2016, 06:15 PM
We need mid f's to cover for McGinn and Fyvie, Commons is not a straight replacement for either, I just don't get this signing. Basically means Shinnie doesn't play.

bingo70
09-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Can't be arsed reading through the whole thread but from what I've read people are misunderstanding the fitness issue. Whether he is fit enough to run a marathon, last 90 or struggle to last 10 minutes isn't a concern.

The fitness side i worry about is the sharpness that you lose when you're not playing, at his age I worry he might struggle to get that back. Commons at 75% fitness could do a very good job for us but 75% match sharpness would be no good to anyone IMO.

Hopefully that makes sense and apologies if that's been well covered already.

Colr
09-12-2016, 06:54 PM
I think he would be a good signing. We need an experienced attack minded midfielder and he will bring on younger players in the mould. Just need to add a winger and we'll actually start converting the chances we create.

we are hibs
09-12-2016, 07:15 PM
No chance. Overweight. Too old. A has been. Id rather we brought in a Henderson type signing. A young player who is hungry to prove himself than someone looking for one last bow.

sixtwo
09-12-2016, 07:42 PM
I'd take him on a short term contract. The only way I see it working is if he gets a pay off from Celtic and comes to us on a wage within our structure to get game time.
I wouldn't want him if it meant he was using up so muchh budget that we couldn't strengthen further. Also, would not want his signing to be at the expense of Cummings moving on and using the transfer fee for him.
I'd like to see players like Henderson, Swanson, coulbye etc come in if we sell Cummings.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Latest rumour doing the rounds is Samaras.

3pm
09-12-2016, 07:53 PM

:greengrin

Big L
09-12-2016, 08:15 PM
WTF he's 31, he's playing in the 2nd tier of american soccer, played 24 scored 2 ! I know Commons and Lennon have the same agent, I have to wonder Georgios is part of the same stable. Smells like jobs for the boys. We made really good signings under Stubbs, not impressed with Lennons recruits.

Mr White
09-12-2016, 08:17 PM
He'd have a ready made song though. Ok it would need to be altered a bit but it could work.

We love Samaras, we love Samaras.

Or something like that.

Swedish hibee
09-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Didn't we go through this when we signed Holt. And Stokes too. And I remember all the abuse I took on here when I said no to Terry Butcher.... Sigh.
Remember when this forum used to be fun.

ekhibee
09-12-2016, 08:37 PM
I've actually met Samaras and he's a really nice, friendly guy. But not for Hibs. He needs crosses into the box and we seem to have a problem in that area at the moment.

hibees 7062
09-12-2016, 08:40 PM
I've actually met Samaras and he's a really nice, friendly guy. But not for Hibs. He needs crosses into the box and we seem to have a problem in that area at the moment.

I hear Henderson can deliver :greengrin

Mr White
09-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Didn't we go through this when we signed Holt. And Stokes too. And I remember all the abuse I took on here when I said no to Terry Butcher.... Sigh.
Remember when this forum used to be fun.

The guy who scored a double for hibs in a victorious scottish cup final. Am I reading you wrong here or are you saying it was a mistake to sign him? Apologies if I'm reading it wrong.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Samaras is a strange one. 31 isn't old and on his days he's a player. It's how often he has his day that would worry me.

I'm not sure how much truth is in a lot of these rumours though. I think a lot is people just plucking names out that Lennon has a connection to and hoping they get lucky. I'd like to think our scouting network is a bit more sophisticated than 'people the gaffer knows'.

Jim44
10-12-2016, 06:32 AM
If Commons wouldn't take a wage cut on his £20k per week, is it likely that our maximum contribution, within our wage structure, would appeal to Celtic? Even then, our maximum contribution is a lot to pay for what really is a gamble, no matter how popular a move to us appears to be.:dunno:

superfurryhibby
10-12-2016, 10:01 AM
If NL's signings don't convince you then we're doomed whatever happens in January.:confused:

Happily I don't share your views so am not getting depressed. Lennon, better than anyone, is in a good position to guage what kind of shape Commons is in before offering him a contract.

I'm not depressed either, but the season so far hardly fills me with joy. Out of three cups and in a battle at the top of the league.

Marciano has done the business, the others have been fairly underwhelming, but we have another window and the opportunity to bring in guys that could make a difference. I think i'll stave off the feelings of being doomed for now thanks.

Not sure that Lennon is privy to the day to day training stats at Celtic , but I would guess he is smart enough to know that we need players who will contribute from the off and experienced enough to know that the best oart of a year with nae fitba and being a 33 doesn't seem like a recipe for instant success.

My final point, which no one who wants Commons in appears to be able to address is that this division is robust and competative. Skill and past achievements count for little if you can't meet a certain standard of fitness. Grant Holt illustrates this perfectly well.

fiolex1
10-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Yes, but needs to be fully fit. I think he would be a good few weeks away from being match fit though. I don't know when he last played a competitive game?

IGRIGI
10-12-2016, 01:56 PM
My concern would be the time he would need to get up to speed, if we are still neck and neck with UTD we need someone who can hit the ground running.

Our biggest requirement is two wingers who have pace and can cross a ball. I don't think Commons would even be required as I think we'd get a lot more out of Holt and Graham if we had better delivery into the box from the wings.

ancient hibee
10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Yes, but needs to be fully fit. I think he would be a good few weeks away from being match fit though. I don't know when he last played a competitive game?

Cummings miscontrolled the ball numerous times today.A prime example of what happens when you haven't played much for a few weeks.Commons hasn't played much for 9 months so it's not just the fitness it's the sharpness.

Skol
10-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Cummings miscontrolled the ball numerous times today.A prime example of what happens when you haven't played much for a few weeks.Commons hasn't played much for 9 months so it's not just the fitness it's the sharpness.

Cummings miscontrols the ball numerous times every game he plays

Just Alf
12-12-2016, 08:30 PM

you have a lot to answer for my lad..... :greengrin

ancient hibee
12-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Wonder if Dixie Deans still has his boots?

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2016, 02:52 PM
you have a lot to answer for my lad..... :greengrin

Just posted what i'd heard. :greengrin

familyman
13-12-2016, 09:32 PM
sign him as long as he is match fit, not just fit!we cannot afford the time .

bigwheel
13-12-2016, 09:52 PM
sign him as long as he is match fit, not just fit!we cannot afford the time .

As he hasn't played any competitive games then that's highly unlikely

Heisenberg
15-12-2016, 09:25 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/309671/hibs-boss-neil-lennon-steps-up-bid-to-land-celtics-kris-commons/

Emergency loan being touted.

AlbertK86
15-12-2016, 09:44 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/309671/hibs-boss-neil-lennon-steps-up-bid-to-land-celtics-kris-commons/ Emergency loan being touted.

Fingers crossed

Nicho87
15-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Could be a master stroke getting in him now. Gove him a couple of games to find his touch and ready to go for united in january.

California-Hibs
15-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Please please please please

JK Rolling
15-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Without a doubt, yes. :aok:

where'stheslope
16-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Great to sign him if he's ready to go (fitness and sharpness)?

Has a great reading of the game and also scores goals, whats not to like!!!!

shreevesy
16-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Fit and ready yes
Fat and lazy no

Onion
16-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Terrific player. If he's fit and motivated, he'll make a huge difference to our attack/creativity from midfield.

Golden Bear
16-12-2016, 07:58 AM
The jury is out until I see what kind of nick he's in. What was then and what is now could be two entirely different things.

Cod Boy
16-12-2016, 08:08 AM
Get him in he will be fitter than Dylan Mcgeough.

Marco G
16-12-2016, 08:09 AM
The jury is out until I see what kind of nick he's in. What was then and what is now could be two entirely different things.
Lennon will have an advantage over the jury! All the players at a club like Celtic will be closely monitored re fitness by the sports scientist and team. He may be rusty from lack of first team games but Lennon will know how fit he is after speaking to them and the coaching staff!

scoopyboy
16-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Get him in he will be fitter than Dylan Mcgeough.

And John McGinn and Fraser Fyvie if you want to go down that route.

Dunbar Hibee
16-12-2016, 08:15 AM
And John McGinn and Fraser Fyvie if you want to go down that route.

Hearing anything in this one Scoop?

staunchhibby
16-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Judging by comments in the Sun it looks very much a deal for commons is on

Evergreen86
16-12-2016, 08:46 AM

I really don't understand how folk are so sure he is not fit to play or is too 'fat'? Aye he had an injury issue at the start of the season but how about maybe entertaining the fact he might be perfectly fit and healthy, ready to play but Brendan Rogers doesn't fancy him/want to change a winning formula??

Why anyone would be against him coming to us is beyond me. Class act.

Lee Marvin
16-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Judging by comments in the Sun it looks very much a deal for commons is on

Lennon doesn't mention commons in article so could be rag putting 2 and 2 together.

However, I reckon we do have a shot at this.

Heisenberg
16-12-2016, 08:52 AM
I really don't understand how folk are so sure he is not fit to play or is too 'fat'? Aye he had an injury issue at the start of the season but how about maybe entertaining the fact he might be perfectly fit and healthy, ready to play but Brendan Rogers doesn't fancy him/want to change a winning formula??

No doubting he has ability but he hasnt played since April i think. There is not a chance he will be match fit. I would take him due to our current midfield situation if only to sit behind the strikers and spray the ball about.

scoopyboy
16-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Hearing anything in this one Scoop?

Heard we were approaching Celtic for an emergency loan prior to the game at Tannadice, I thought it was Henderson though.

JimBHibees
16-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Lennon doesn't mention commons in article so could be rag putting 2 and 2 together.

However, I reckon we do have a shot at this.

The guy writing the article is quite relevant I think.

16-12-2016, 09:28 AM
The guy writing the article is quite relevant I think.

Kenny Millar is a hibby and usually accurate with his stuff about us.

Jim44
16-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Kenny Millar is a hibby and usually accurate with his stuff about us.

The article also has comments from DU. youth coach, Dave Bowman, my number one 'players you love to hate'. He waxes lyrical about Cammy Bell, penalty save specialist, saying. "We give away penalties now and we're not even bothered." Nice footballing philosophy, ya muppet.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2016, 09:32 AM
If this is true, then those kids who thought they might make the breakthrough this season are either not good enough, or the manager does not rate them good enough yet?

I wonder which it is?

Brightside
16-12-2016, 09:43 AM
If this is true, then those kids who thought they might make the breakthrough this season are either not good enough, or the manager does not rate them good enough yet?

I wonder which it is?

I don't think Lennon is willing to gamble on any youth players. Its either promotion or his managerial career is done and dusted.

Mikey09
16-12-2016, 09:44 AM

I wonder which it is?

I think the manager may assume it may be unfair to put a hell of a lot of pressure and expectation on their shoulders. It's nip and tuck at the top just now so bringing the likes of Commons in, with his experience of winning titles may be a master stroke from Lennon. The crunch games will be played, IMO, in March and April at which point Commons would, hopefully be flying.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I think the manager may assume it may be unfair to put a hell of a lot of pressure and expectation on their shoulders. It's nip and tuck at the top just now so bringing the likes of Commons in, with his experience of winning titles may be a master stroke from Lennon. The crunch games will be played, IMO, in March and April at which point Commons would, hopefully be flying.

Yip 2-0 against Dumbarton at home and the pressure must have been immense?

JimBHibees
16-12-2016, 09:57 AM

I wonder which it is?

Might be both. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Might be both. :greengrin

Maybe? :greengrin

ekhibee
16-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Before the Dumbarton game Lennon was asked on Sportsound about Commons and he said it's pure speculation, and that the rumour had been doing the rounds virtually since he started at Hibs. Various newspapers can make up or have their own opinions about football issues, often there is nothing based on fact. Of course Commons joining Hibs would be great, that goes without saying, but I've seen no firm evidence of it, and more to the contrary. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Mikey09
16-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Eh?! What's that got to do with what I answered you with?

southsider
16-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Before the Dumbarton game Lennon was asked on Sportsound about Commons and he said it's pure speculation, and that the rumour had been doing the rounds virtually since he started at Hibs. Various newspapers can make up or have their own opinions about football issues, often there is nothing based on fact. Of course Commons joining Hibs would be great, that goes without saying, but I've seen no firm evidence of it, and more to the contrary. Would love to be proved wrong though.
Kenny Miller in the Sun appears to be ITK and he thinks deal is on. Be a great signing and lays down a marker of intent.

Smartie
16-12-2016, 11:04 AM

I felt that there was more pressure at ER on Saturday than there has been in years.

At 0-0 it was very tense, we were playing poorly and scraped a goal from a set-piece.

We all know how fragile a 1-0 lead can be and it was tense until Graham's goal in the 76th minute.

I accept that he should possibly have thrown on a couple of subs for the last 15 minutes or so as I felt at that point the game was won, but it seems to me that Lennon is taking this seriously and won't leave anything to chance.

I'd like to see the younger lads getting a chance, even if just for a short spell at the end of a game, but if it backfired and they made the kind of mistake that would cost us the game then Lennon would be crucified.

CockneyRebel
16-12-2016, 11:09 AM

No doubting his pedigree but match fitness? It took Stokes long enough to get up to speed and he's much younger. With all of our injury problems we need a player(s) to "hit the ground running" as they say. We can't afford any passengers so to me it is paramount that his all round fitness is not in question. Fully fit - yes! Half fit - no!

Marco G
16-12-2016, 11:09 AM
I felt that there was more pressure at ER on Saturday than there has been in years.

At 0-0 it was very tense, we were playing poorly and scraped a goal from a set-piece.

We all know how fragile a 1-0 lead can be and it was tense until Graham's goal in the 76th minute.

I accept that he should possibly have thrown on a couple of subs for the last 15 minutes or so as I felt at that point the game was won, but it seems to me that Lennon is taking this seriously and won't leave anything to chance.

I'd like to see the younger lads getting a chance, even if just for a short spell at the end of a game, but if it backfired and they made the kind of mistake that would cost us the game then Lennon would be crucified.
Agree 100%.

Heisenberg
16-12-2016, 11:16 AM
It's happening.

Andy74
16-12-2016, 11:16 AM

I'd rather our focus was winning each game and scoring as many as we can whilst doing it than giving people game time for the sake of it.

The youngsters will play when they are the best available option at the time.

JeMeSouviens
16-12-2016, 11:20 AM
More from Kenny Millar:

Kenny Millar ‏@Kenny_Millar 2h2 hours ago

Commons one Hibs are determined to try and land, but isn't the only one on their list. Christie, Henderson and Pawlett still of interest.

Smartie
16-12-2016, 11:22 AM
I'd rather our focus was winning each game and scoring as many as we can whilst doing it than giving people game time for the sake of it.

The youngsters will play when they are the best available option at the time.

It's not really game time for the sake of it though.

It's taking an opportunity to see what players can do in the first team, even if just for a short spell.

I've always been impressed by Scott Martin - wouldn't it be great if the answer to our current midfield problems was under our noses? Wouldn't it be great if he came in, played out his skin and prevented Fyvie or McGinn getting back in? We all know about Lewis Stevenson's great strengths but odd limitation. What if Callum Crane ended up having a better mix of skills? Crane comes on for the last 15 minutes, whips 3 or 4 great balls into the box creating a couple of goals - it gives Lennon something to think about.

We have to assume these players aren't good enough and that's why they're not even getting a brief chance, which is pretty harsh on those players.

I do accept though that winning games by the biggest margin possible is the priority this season and I still back Lennon 100% to do it whichever way he sees fit.

calmacuk
16-12-2016, 11:23 AM
STV reporting that he's travelled to Edinburgh to finalise a move:

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1375877-celtic-s-kris-commons-set-to-seal-emergency-hibs-loan-deal/?utm_content=buffer43602&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Ozyhibby
16-12-2016, 11:25 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/732741a404996fe99423fe24fd75f691.png

Captain Trips
16-12-2016, 11:27 AM
If Kris Commons is still fit but just requires games then that tells me all I need to know about his attitude. Get him in.

Iceman1875
16-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Excited!

GreenCastle
16-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Good boost going into a difficult set of fixtures.

Hopefully more early January.

Creativity and pace required - plus goals from midfield.

California-Hibs
16-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Aaaaah buzzing!! Looks like it may actually be about to get over the line!

Greenworld
16-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Wonderful signing if true. Let's not forget players of his standing can lift the standard of the rest of the players that alone would be great for the team.
I still think another player will come in slso we cannot go into the next 2 months with this squad

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Broken Gnome
16-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Can we all agree not to have a meltdown the first time he gets absolutely done for pace?

GreenCastle
16-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Game intelligence to unlock the opposition.

He was never super quick but as long as he still reads the game in the mind he will 100% add to the squad.

Itsnoteasy
16-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Emergency loan deal. He could be here for Morton game tomorrow.

Captain Trips
16-12-2016, 11:57 AM
If Commons was offered to any club in Scotland except The Rangers they would well take him on. This is a terrific piece of business at least on paper and if I was manager I would well be trying to get him in.

lyonhibs
16-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Emergency loan deal. He could be here for Morton game tomorrow.

:agree: :agree:

A good mate of the other G+W persuasion says he was told by Tosh McKinlay (??!!) that this is happening.

He (my mate, not TM) is gutted they're letting him go for what it's worth

ALF TUPPER
16-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Yes please Hibs

Jim44
16-12-2016, 12:13 PM
:agree: :agree:

A good mate of the other G+W persuasion says he was told by Tosh McKinlay (??!!) that this is happening.

He (my mate, not TM) is gutted they're letting him go for what it's worth

They're discussing it over on Kerrydale Street. Some are glad to see him go, 'played well, paid well, see yah'.
Some are a bit more appreciative of him : 'raved about him when he was at Forest....looked good at Derby...when he signed I told my mates he'd score plenty of goals...he was a good player etc....haven't changed my mind. Can't believe people are giving him stick without looking at the bigger picture...overall he was a great signing for us. His time is up clearly, but he has my good wishes and thanks.'
Some think we're making a mistake : 'Of all the players to look for on emergency loan I think an idle Kris Commons might be the funniest.'

Think what you want of the guy, the main thing is that the deal is strongly on the cards.. If we get him, I hope he does a job for us. :thumbsup:

Onion
16-12-2016, 12:21 PM
If Commons was offered to any club in Scotland except The Rangers they would well take him on. This is a terrific piece of business at least on paper and if I was manager I would well be trying to get him in.

Agreed, the boy is quality. Other teams in the Championship can only dream of picking up players like this.

Couple more Jan signings and the squad will be well placed for the promo run in. Looking forward to seeing Commons, McGinn and Fyvie at the heart of our midfield :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Will suspend judgement till I see him play. Obviously I hope he's a huge success.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2016, 12:35 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/celtic-s-kris-commons-set-to-join-hibs-on-loan-1-4319359

JimBHibees
16-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Having a medical

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar

guthrie01
16-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Hope he doesn't start tomorrow, lacking in match fitness and we have Scott Martin believing he finally has a chance to prove himself. Abusing the emergency loan I think when we already have young and able midfielders to fill in the games till January comes. Happy to see Commons come in, just need to build up his fitness and start a reserves game so we can be sure he is ready for the first team.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Hope he doesn't start tomorrow, lacking in match fitness and we have Scott Martin believing he finally has a chance to prove himself. Abusing the emergency loan I think when we already have young and able midfielders to fill in the games till January comes. Happy to see Commons come in, just need to build up his fitness and start a reserves game so we can be sure he is ready for the first team.

We have to win. Nothing else matters.

Greenworld
16-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Not abusing anything this is no time to pish about seeing if some young lad can do it or not. I will be amazed if another two signings don't come in January

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oscar T Grouch
16-12-2016, 12:47 PM

The manager clearly doesn't think that the youngsters will cope in a pressure game in Greenock, if he signs on an emergency loan then I would assume that would be as cover for the injured 3 we have out. Even lacking match fitness he will still be able to chuck probing passes and bang a few shots in.

guthrie01
16-12-2016, 12:48 PM
We have to win. Nothing else matters.

Agreed although I believe we have a better chance of winning the match with Scott Martin rather than Commons coming in the day before we play the match. Martin looked impressive during the opening Falkirk game and getting good reviews from the reserves so don't see why he shouldn't be starting.

heretoday
16-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Get Commons up and down the sand dunes at Gullane. Get him fit. We don't want some tubby old chap strolling about the midfield and getting a game because he's a pal of the manager.

JimBHibees
16-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Done deal. https://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar

stoneyburn hibs
16-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Agreed although I believe we have a better chance of winning the match with Scott Martin rather than Commons coming in the day before we play the match. Martin looked impressive during the opening Falkirk game and getting good reviews from the reserves so don't see why he shouldn't be starting.

Martin before a fit Commons? It's all about the 3 points mate.

CRAZYHIBBY
16-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Brilliant news.....hes a top class player that we could only dream about in years gone by

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2016, 12:57 PM

It's a dilemma. My preference would be Martin, for the reasons you state, but Commons needs game time if it isn't going to be a waste of time having him in. I'd be tempted start with him, then bring in Martin, possibly at HT because no way will he last 90 mins.

Andy74
16-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Martin is no Commons even at say 50% !

Marco G
16-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Get Commons up and down the sand dunes at Gullane. Get him fit. We don't want some tubby old chap strolling about the midfield and getting a game because he's a pal of the manager.
Presume you are having a laugh?

leggeto
16-12-2016, 01:01 PM
I'd take him,reminds me of Griffiths but only slower

GreenPJ
16-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Martin before a fit Commons? It's all about the 3 points mate.

Why not both?

dp00
16-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Only hibs fans would question us signing commons

guthrie01
16-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Martin is no Commons even at say 50% !

He could be the next Messi but we won't know if we don't give him a damn chance! Tired of hearing that we shouldn't be playing these youngsters in "big" games. Jason was brought in during the Hamilton play-offs and scored a brace, almost keeping us up and is our most prolific scorer at the club right now. Dashing Bob said it best, give Martin the time to show what he has and give Commons 30 or 40 minutes to freshen himself up for the next weeks game.

Moulin Yarns
16-12-2016, 01:16 PM
From a Celtic fan at work

Quote from twitter

“Commons saved our bacon morethan once in his time here. Problem was he then ate all that bacon later”

Onceinawhile
16-12-2016, 01:17 PM
He could be the next Messi but we won't know if we don't give him a damn chance! Tired of hearing that we shouldn't be playing these youngsters in "big" games. Jason was brought in during the Hamilton play-offs and scored a brace, almost keeping us up and is our most prolific scorer at the club right now. Dashing Bob said it best, give Martin the time to show what he has and give Commons 30 or 40 minutes to freshen himself up for the next weeks game.

Jason had about twenty games (and no goals) before the Hamilton play off.

If he was Messi, I'm sure it'd show in training.

allezsauzee
16-12-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm expecting Kris to score or set up 2 goals for us in the Scottish Cup final , that's the standard that's now set

hughio
16-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Only hibs fans would question us signing commons

:aok::aok::aok::agree::agree::agree:

16-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm expecting Kris to score or set up 2 goals for us in the Scottish Cup final , that's the standard that's now set

Or score two.

swin1875
16-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Commons McGinn fyvie shinnie in midfield,ohhhh my days 🙊👍🏻

1875Hibees
16-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Hope he doesn't start tomorrow, lacking in match fitness and we have Scott Martin believing he finally has a chance to prove himself. Abusing the emergency loan I think when we already have young and able midfielders to fill in the games till January comes. Happy to see Commons come in, just need to build up his fitness and start a reserves game so we can be sure he is ready for the first team. LOL How do you know they are able? Who?

HoboHarry
16-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Scotsman are on board as well

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/celtic-attacker-kris-commons-undergoing-medical-at-hibs-1-4319368

scooby
16-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Excellent news, could be a very important signing for us.
Welcome to the hibees Kris 👍

Bishop Hibee
16-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Yes. Match fit he'll be a great signing.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2016, 01:58 PM
http://thecelticblog.com/2016/12/blogs/the-long-kris-goodnight/

A Celtic POV

Paloschi
16-12-2016, 01:59 PM
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/165849-january-transfer-window-thread/page-3

For a friday laugh - they are SEETHING!

Few crackers such as 'Celtic partial scottish cup winners 2016' --- if anyone helped us it was Robbie Neilson :na na: