PDA

View Full Version : A Critical Festive Period

HibbySpurs
06-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Following Friday's poor result the coming weeks are critical to our push for promotion. I'm comfortable so long as we are the hunted rather than the hunters and we really need to still be in that position come the meeting with Dundee Utd on 6 January. The fixtures between now & then as follows:

Hibs: Dumbarton (8th) H, Morton (4th) A, Raith (5th) H, Falkirk (3rd) A.

Utd: Ayr (7th) A, Raith (5th) A, St Mirren (10th) H, Dumbarton (8th) A.

On the face of that we have to play 3 teams in the top 5 whilst Utd would appear to have the (on paper) easier task of playing only one team from the top 5. To counter that somewhat we have an even split of 2 home & 2 away whilst Utd have 3 away games to contend with.

I'm hopeful we will take 12/12, although the trips to Falkirk & Morton will be tough but as a bare minimum we simply must get 10/12 which would put us on 41.

Looking at the teams Utd face respective home/away form it doesn't inspire confidence in us being done any "favours" I'm afraid to say:

Ayr at home are W2, D2, L3 so its an average record but maybe they can at least get a point.
Raith at home are W4, D2, L1 which is much more promising and at hopeful they will at least get a draw
St Mirren away are W0, D2, L5 which is horrific and cant see anything but a Utd win
Dumbarton at home are W1, D4, L3 which is poor, again I think Utd will win this.

Having said that Utd's away form is only average itself at W3, D2, L2 so maybe a little bit of hope there......

At the very best outcome for us I can see Utd only taking a minimum of 7 points but more likely 10 if they beat Ayr. That means we simply must take the 10/12 to go into the game on the 6th "as you were", with home advantage I'm confident we'll get the three points.

I realize it's not good that I'm having to look at what our opponents are doing but the simple fact is we've allowed ourselves to be clawed back so it now comes into the reckoning.

If we win all 4 games then maybe we'll be fortunate that they slip up and we may have our 3 point lead restored again allowing us the opportunity to put clear water between us and them on the 6th but that's the best I can see... Another performance like Friday in these 4 and we could find ourselves needing a win to pull level and avoid them going clear which would not be a good day out.

I still believe we have the best squad in the league and over the remainder of the season this will tell but we simply must avoid falling behind at any point which makes every game between now and the 6th as critical as the game on the 6th itself.

:flag:

wookie70
06-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Certainly a crucial point in the season. If we go into the next Utd game level we will be doing well on current form. If we manage it then I will be far more confident than I am now.

RCNG
06-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Following Friday's poor result the coming weeks are critical to our push for promotion. I'm comfortable so long as we are the hunted rather than the hunters and we really need to still be in that position come the meeting with Dundee Utd on 6 January. The fixtures between now & then as follows:

Hibs: Dumbarton (8th) H, Morton (4th) A, Raith (5th) H, Falkirk (3rd) A.

Utd: Ayr (7th) A, Raith (5th) A, St Mirren (10th) H, Dumbarton (8th) A.

On the face of that we have to play 3 teams in the top 5 whilst Utd would appear to have the (on paper) easier task of playing only one team from the top 5. To counter that somewhat we have an even split of 2 home & 2 away whilst Utd have 3 away games to contend with.

I'm hopeful we will take 12/12, although the trips to Falkirk & Morton will be tough but as a bare minimum we simply must get 10/12 which would put us on 41.

Looking at the teams Utd face respective home/away form it doesn't inspire confidence in us being done any "favours" I'm afraid to say:

Ayr at home are W2, D2, L3 so its an average record but maybe they can at least get a point.
Raith at home are W4, D2, L1 which is much more promising and at hopeful they will at least get a draw
St Mirren away are W0, D2, L5 which is horrific and cant see anything but a Utd win
Dumbarton at home are W1, D4, L3 which is poor, again I think Utd will win this.

Having said that Utd's away form is only average itself at W3, D2, L2 so maybe a little bit of hope there......

At the very best outcome for us I can see Utd only taking a minimum of 7 points but more likely 10 if they beat Ayr. That means we simply must take the 10/12 to go into the game on the 6th "as you were", with home advantage I'm confident we'll get the three points.

I realize it's not good that I'm having to look at what our opponents are doing but the simple fact is we've allowed ourselves to be clawed back so it now comes into the reckoning.

If we win all 4 games then maybe we'll be fortunate that they slip up and we may have our 3 point lead restored again allowing us the opportunity to put clear water between us and them on the 6th but that's the best I can see... Another performance like Friday in these 4 and we could find ourselves needing a win to pull level and avoid them going clear which would not be a good day out.

I still believe we have the best squad in the league and over the remainder of the season this will tell but we simply must avoid falling behind at any point which makes every game between now and the 6th as critical as the game on the 6th itself.

:flag:

They'll be thinking exactly the same thing but reversed. Could go either way this one.

H18 SFR
06-12-2016, 04:26 PM
I was discussing this point over the weekend. I believe that we will need to win on the 6th of January to draw level with them.

heretoday
06-12-2016, 04:37 PM
We should be smashing all these.
We're the big team.

where'stheslope
06-12-2016, 07:51 PM
We should win every game, but is it the Hibs way, all to often we look like we can go on a good run of games, we get an injury or sending off and it all goes pear shaped!
If we keep on thinking Dundee United's bubble will burst we could be left standing, win our games and forget about them, stop looking back and fight to go forward, then come April look around and see what need done then!!!

Steve20
06-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Utd will take 12 points from the 4 games. Up to us to stay top by winning those games too.

HibbySpurs
06-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Utd will take 12 points from the 4 games. Up to us to stay top by winning those games too.

This in reality is my thinking despite the stabs at half glass full in th op.

Dashing Bob S
06-12-2016, 10:40 PM

If United take 12 points from those games, they will probably win the title unless they have bad luck with injuries/suspensions in Jan/Feb. That would give them 11 wins and a draw from their last 12.

Sir David Gray
06-12-2016, 11:12 PM
I really can't believe we're contemplating anything less than four wins from four against Dumbarton, Greenock Morton, Raith Rovers and Falkirk.

monktonharp
06-12-2016, 11:54 PM
I really can't believe we're contemplating anything less than four wins from four against Dumbarton, Greenock Morton, Raith Rovers and Falkirk.It has to be contemplated! bening Hibs, it's usually complicated! however, there is a lot to go yet and I really don't see United suddenly stretching ahead, whatever happens over the next 4 games as has been discussed. we will be there at the death, come the end of the season and the Falkirks,Raith and Morton will peter out.

coldingham hibs
07-12-2016, 05:01 AM
I think we will pick up 5 points W,D,D,L and Utd will pick up 8 points D, D, W,W. But who knows, pressure is on Utd now so anything can happen.

DH1875
07-12-2016, 07:48 AM
It has to be contemplated! bening Hibs, it's usually complicated! however, there is a lot to go yet and I really don't see United suddenly stretching ahead, whatever happens over the next 4 games as has been discussed. we will be there at the death, come the end of the season and the Falkirks,Raith and Morton will peter out.

Remember when everyone was saying Falkirk would peter out last season.

HibbySpurs
07-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Remember when everyone was saying Falkirk would peter out last season.

This :agree:.

People need to realize this is a serious battle we're involved in and talk of "skooshing" should be put well to bed. More importantly the manager & players need to understand the scale of the fight we are likely to find ourselves embroiled in.

I'm also inclined to agree with Bob that if they win all 4 then they will be a real tough nut to crack for the title.

Sadly for us for some reason having the best team/squad doesn't seem to count for anything as it's just the Hibs way!!!

Concerned? Yes, Worried? Not yet............

where'stheslope
08-12-2016, 06:39 PM
This :agree:.

People need to realize this is a serious battle we're involved in and talk of "skooshing" should be put well to bed. More importantly the manager & players need to understand the scale of the fight we are likely to find ourselves embroiled in.

I'm also inclined to agree with Bob that if they win all 4 then they will be a real tough nut to crack for the title.

Sadly for us for some reason having the best team/squad doesn't seem to count for anything as it's just the Hibs way!!!

Concerned? Yes, Worried? Not yet............
Can't believe this!
Level headed look at our main problem?
Everything that is said is oh so true, we need to take care of ourselves and not think we have done enough, United are maybe not playing the best football, but they are putting together a good run of form and with their next 4 games could extend what they have done so far.
So everyone has to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in, as winning our next 4 games is more than important!!!

HibbySpurs
08-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Can't believe this!
Level headed look at our main problem?
Everything that is said is oh so true, we need to take care of ourselves and not think we have done enough, United are maybe not playing the best football, but they are putting together a good run of form and with their next 4 games could extend what they have done so far.
So everyone has to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in, as winning our next 4 games is more than important!!!

Like I said before we need to stay the hunted but that means ensuring we win every game rather than hoping for something else to keep us there.

Winning games takes hard work, these are still professional football teams who whilst they don't have our resources will be well organised and ready for a battle. They all know Hibs are the toughest game they face and they all try to raise their game. We need to ensure we are at our very best as well in every game by giving all our opponents the respect they deserve. We do that every game and the opposition do as well we should still win the vast majority but take it easy we'll be punished... The ultimate punishment is the prospect of another season in the second tier.