PDA

View Full Version : Boyle scores the penalty and these stupid threads wouldn't be up

California-Hibs
05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Football is made up of fine margins. Some of the things you read on here recently are an absolute joke. 'Is Lennon the right man?' 'Playoffs again' Etc

People like to quickly block out all the positives as soon as the slightest bump comes along. Like to ignore the fact that our central midfield pairing were out for the United game. That we have held for a good amount of weeks the record of Best Defense In Britain in terms of least goals conceded. That we've found a good position for Boyle who's been on hot scoring form.

Oh no, a bump comes along and let's ignore all that. Let's all of a sudden see threads questioning Hanlon and Stevensons ability. Let's see threads tearing into Martin Boyle calling for him to be dropped for Keatings as soon as he's fit.

Folk in here can be so unbelievably fickle at times - even beyond the cliche of football fans in general holding this trate.

I'm firmly still in the winning the league boat. In fact I'd honestly place my house on it. We are in a position as a structure on a whole to sign players of a higher caliber than United can, and I'm convinced we'll make a few key ones that will see us on a run again and pull away again.

We've been top of the league for a good few weeks and that won't be changing. Shoot me down as you see fit all you want, but again coming back to my subject title - Boyle scores and we would probably be sitting 6 ahead or at worse still 3. Yes he didn't and yes we're not, but the level of hysteria people are showing must be great viewing for rival fans. Over.The.Top.

Get a hold of yourselves!

Hibs for the league.

Captain Trips
05-12-2016, 11:38 AM
I think we will win the league but I do not think threads are stupid. Yes there are fine lines so lets not fail to win league by a fine line.

One penalty and it was indeed 6pts we missed it, it happens. We need to be on the right side of the fine lines this season.

Lago
05-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Football is made up of fine margins. Some of the things you read on here recently are an absolute joke. 'Is Lennon the right man?' 'Playoffs again' Etc

People like to quickly block out all the positives as soon as the slightest bump comes along. Like to ignore the fact that our central midfield pairing were out for the United game. That we have held for a good amount of weeks the record of Best Defense In Britain in terms of least goals conceded. That we've found a good position for Boyle who's been on hot scoring form.

Oh no, a bump comes along and let's ignore all that. Let's all of a sudden see threads questioning Hanlon and Stevensons ability. Let's see threads tearing into Martin Boyle calling for him to be dropped for Keatings as soon as he's fit.

Folk in here can be so unbelievably fickle at times - even beyond the cliche of football fans in general holding this trate.

I'm firmly still in the winning the league boat. In fact I'd honestly place my house on it. We are in a position as a structure on a whole to sign players of a higher caliber than United can, and I'm convinced we'll make a few key ones that will see us on a run again and pull away again.

We've been top of the league for a good few weeks and that won't be changing. Shoot me down as you see fit all you want, but again coming back to my subject title - Boyle scores and we would probably be sitting 6 ahead or at worse still 3. Yes he didn't and yes we're not, but the level of hysteria people are showing must be great viewing for rival fans. Over.The.Top.

Hibs for the league.

Not sure the lines were that fine on Frid, Boyle's poor penalty attempt & Stevenson's inability to clear the first defender (yet again) with a free kick were more ongoing failures rather than fine lines or bad luck.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-12-2016, 12:14 PM

Hibs for the league.
Do you have a link to a post that you would have made two seasons back that says that in your opinion being top of this league at Christmas time would be acceptable?

California-Hibs
05-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Not sure the lines were that fine on Frid, Boyle's poor penalty attempt & Stevenson's inability to clear the first defender (yet again) with a free kick were more ongoing failures rather than fine lines or bad luck.

And that's somewhat fine because it's conducive to the one talked about game. But to use that as a springboard to - Hanlons guff, Stevensons been guff for years, Boyle needs dropped pronto, etc, is absolute nonsense and blindly ignoring previous weeks/months and as I say, waaaaay over the top.

Mr White
05-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Exactly what constitutes a "stupid thread"? One that contains opinions you don't agree with? Or maybe one that has a go at others for expressing theirs? It's all a matter of opinion I suppose :cb

worcesterhibby
05-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Hibs for the league.

Great post..agreed completely :thumbsup::flag::flag::thumbsup: (I'd be happy to put your house on it too !)

High-On-Hibs
05-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Exactly what constitutes a "stupid thread"? One that contains opinions you don't agree with? Or maybe one that has a go at others for expressing theirs? It's all a matter of opinion I suppose :cb

I don't like this opinion. Admins please delete.

Iain G
05-12-2016, 12:31 PM
And that's somewhat fine because it's conducive to the one talked about game. But to use that as a springboard to - Hanlons guff, Stevensons been guff for years, Boyle needs dropped pronto, etc, is absolute nonsense and blindly ignoring previous weeks/months and as I say, waaaaay over the top.

Maybe we could set up one Knee Jerk Panic Over Reaction thread to contain all the nonsense?

I wonder how some folks make it through the average day...

Hibs.net is a pretty miserable place to be these days.

Seveno
05-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Maybe we could set up one Knee Jerk Panic Over Reaction thread to contain all the nonsense?

I wonder how some folks make it through the average day...

Hibs.net is a pretty miserable place to be these days.

That would get my vote.

I just hope that the players are less prone to panic and loss of morale.

California-Hibs
05-12-2016, 12:48 PM

A valid taken point Sir. For me it's threads that are very very clear to the majority of viewers, as to being nonesense. This is the point that you tell me this thread here is very much that right? 😂

Smartie
05-12-2016, 12:50 PM
That would get my vote.

I just hope that the players are less prone to panic and loss of morale.

I propose that all posters on hibs.net go on a bender in Dublin dressed as spice girls to chill the f out.

Mr White
05-12-2016, 12:52 PM
A valid taken point Sir. For me it's threads that are very very clear to the majority of viewers, as to being nonesense. This is the point that you tell me this thread here is very much that right? 😂

I don't disagree with where you're coming from but I feel your chosen method here maybe adds to the negativity already present on the board just now.

Lago
05-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Think your making links that in the main aren't there, having said that I would agree that some of the criticism after the game was ott, however some of the don't worry it will be alright on the night was also ott. People are worried, and rightly so, about spending another season in this league, that results in all sorts of resonses.

guthrie01
05-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Hibs for the league.

I agree with some of your points on the football matter. However I disagree with your choice to blast users who have a different opinion to your's, and this is certainly not the first time either. Every-time Scotland plays your very quick to jump on users who want to voice their opinion (however stupid it may be). If you disagree with someone, make a post and explain why you think so, you will have a better chance of creating more "positive" content this way certainly not by telling them to "Get a hold of yourselves!".
At the end of the day we are all Hibernian FC fans who want the club to be successful, we may have different ideas of how to get there but we have to respect each other and value their opinion.

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Hibs for the league.

I agree and disagree with this point. Boyle scores the penalty (I still don't think there was one person in the ground or watching on TV who thought he would against a triple spot-kick saver in Bell, his body language was lousy and powder puff and his confidence apart from running looks poor) and I believe Hibs would have won 2-0.

But football is all ifs-and-buts and this has been happening too regularly with Hibs that it becomes an 'if your Auntie had baws' argument.

Like it or not, DUFC are a now a more consistent side, and that, rather than the hot and cold outfit, tends to be the team that wins titles.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2016, 01:46 PM
I think we could all say if we'd not done that in about 50 games over the last few seasons, we'd not be playing 2nd tier football for the 3rd year running.

It appears some folk think this is a new phenomenon with Hibs.net?

emerald green
05-12-2016, 02:02 PM
The OP criticises other posters views and/or threads using expressions such as "stupid", or "hysteria", or "Over.The.Top". But then just doesn't seem to see the irony in this, considering his posts about Hibs "skooshing" the league.

BTW, I wish Hibs were "skooshing" it, as does every other genuine Hibs supporter posting on this forum. But they're not.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-12-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't disagree with where you're coming from but I feel your chosen method here maybe adds to the negativity already present on the board just now.

That's this thread explained. Would close it on that.

lyonhibs
05-12-2016, 02:10 PM

Hibs for the league.

As far as league football goes though, Friday wasn't really a random speed bump on an otherwise flat road entitled "Hibernian 2013 -2016, the top 6 where we should be years" though was it??.

It was a repetition of the same ills that have hampered us over the past 3 seasons in a lot of big league games. Individual mistakes, a lack of creativity and then when chances were created, a communal fluffing of lines.

Posters who hold the opinion that Stevenson is plain not good enough or that Hanlon is powderpuff or whatever haven't just arrived at those (entirely flawed IMO, but hey it's a messageboard not a dictatorship) opinions overnight. Stevenson's crossing is predominantly dire (as opposed to his passing, which is very decent indeed) and sometimes PH does get bullied/dragged out of position. Both Hibs legends mind, but not untouchable.

Jim44
05-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Hibs for the league.

I'm in the more nervous and pessimistic camp but was warming to a lot of your points till you said you would 'honestly put your house on the outcome.' Even if it was just said for effect, it unfortunately weakens slightly an otherwise very reasonable and level-headed summation of the present situation.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2016, 02:38 PM
If yer aunty had baws.

'If we had taken our chances' has been the motto regarding our league form for much of the last 2 seasons. There surely has to come a point when we stop with the 'what if's' and just start putting teams away the way we should be.

Hi Heid Yin
05-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Boyle scores the penalty and we draw!
The so-called ott points made about Stevenson are not based on this one match against Dundee United but his performances over a number of years! He is and remains a weak--link!
Yes, there are many posters who really are ott and reactionists, who forget all the good that Hibs have done previously. A fair point California, but that's, ironically, what makes this site so exciting and democratic.
All of us want Hibs to be Champions this season, but right now, we are not wearing a cloak of invincibility and looking like champions. Thus the continued emphasis on the weak links and failings are highlighted.

High-On-Hibs
05-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Boyle scores the penalty and we DRAW!
The so-called OTT points made about Stevenson are not based on this one match against Dundee United but his performances over a number of YEARS! He is and remains a WEAK--LINK!
Yes, there are many posters who really are OTT and reactionists, who forget all the good that Hibs have done previously. A fair point California, but that's, ironically, what makes this site so exciting and democratic.
All of us want Hibs to be Champions this season, but right now, we are not wearing a cloak of invincibility and looking like champions. Thus the continued emphasis on the weak links and failings are highlighted.

He's the "weak link" when we lose and the "strong link" when we win. In reality, he is a player of our own level and the only player to hold 2 cup winners medals for this club.

cmcd
05-12-2016, 03:35 PM
He's the "weak link" when we lose and the "strong link" when we win. In reality, he is a player of our own level and the only player to hold 2 cup winners medals for this club.

Yes his crossing is not the best but he is not a weak link (In my opinion )

Jonnyboy
05-12-2016, 03:38 PM
The so-called OTT points made about Stevenson are not based on this one match against Dundee United but his performances over a number of YEARS! He is and remains a WEAK--LINK!
Yes, there are many posters who really are OTT and reactionists, who forget all the good that Hibs have done previously. A fair point California, but that's, ironically, what makes this site so exciting and democratic.

I think those who feel the need to lecture us by writing certain words in capital letters is ott 😉

Albanian Hibs
05-12-2016, 03:57 PM

How do you know it would have been a draw if we had scored the penalty?

Pretty Boy
05-12-2016, 04:00 PM

In fairness to the poster in question the 'logic' isn't that far removed from those suggesting we would definitely have won had he scored it.

147lothian
05-12-2016, 04:41 PM

Hibs for the league.

Good post, Boyle scored a good penalty in the semi against dutd which helped get us to the Scottish Cup final, Cummings made a dogs dinner of his penalty in the 90 minutes of that game then scored what I thought was a pretty weak penalty at the end, Saturday's game was a story of two penalties, its very harsh IMO of some people to say that Lennon should go because they scored one and we didn't penalty kicks are a lottery

J-C
05-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Boyle scores we go one up and in control of the game, nothing to suggest we would draw, and I'm not too surprised at you having another unnecessary dig at Stevenson. Yes let's blame Lewis for all the clubs failures, I despair at times.

Hi Heid Yin
05-12-2016, 05:11 PM
I think those who feel the need to lecture us by writing certain words in capital letters is ott ��

My apologies Jonnyboy. I forgot that stressing words can be interpreted as shouting, so I have amended my post to lowercase.
I was very placid when I posted and certainly not angry.

Hi Heid Yin
05-12-2016, 05:16 PM

The same reason as those that suggest that we would have won had we scored.

northstandhibby
05-12-2016, 05:45 PM
The same reason as those that suggest that we would have won had we scored.

Normally I find you post some really intelligent content on here. However I cannot understand your fixation with slating Lewis. Sure there are better full backs out there but Lewis has been a great servant to us and a double cup winner which few players out-with the new new firm can boast of.

Maybe you should lay off him just a bit and go back to making your normal intelligent posts without laying into Lewis so much.

:aok:

wookie70
05-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Good post, Boyle scored a good penalty in the semi against dutd which helped get us to the Scottish Cup final, Cummings made a dogs dinner of his penalty in the 90 minutes of that game then scored what I thought was a pretty weak penalty at the end, Saturday's game was a story of two penalties, its very harsh IMO of some people to say that Lennon should go because they scored one and we didn't penalty kicks are a lottery

By his own admission Boyle was aiming for the bottom corner in the semi. That makes it a terrible penalty with a great result. I wonder how many fans thought Boyle was going to score. Nearly 80% of penalties are scored and I doubt you would have found 8 out of 10 Hibbies who would have had a positive outlook. I think that is why Holt wanted the ball. He probably knew Squirrel was having a shocker and felt he was confident of scoring

Hi Heid Yin
06-12-2016, 01:59 AM
Normally I find you post some really intelligent content on here. However I cannot understand your fixation with slating Lewis. Sure there are better full backs out there but Lewis has been a great servant to us and a double cup winner which few players out-with the new new firm can boast of.

Maybe you should lay off him just a bit and go back to making your normal intelligent posts without laying into Lewis so much.

:aok:

Point taken and respected.
I actually do admire the guy for everything he has done for us and have said this previously.

SunshineOnLeith
06-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Alternative wording of the thread title: 'If Hibs had won there wouldn't be threads on here annoyed that Hibs didn't win'

Huge if true.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Alternative wording of the thread title: 'If Hibs had won there wouldn't be threads on here annoyed that Hibs didn't win'

Huge if true.

Yes there would be. It would be because we didn't put it enough crosses or we used the wrong players or we didn't make enough of set pieces or.....

Betty Boop
06-12-2016, 11:46 AM

Hibs for the league.

Did you not say that last season ? In fact I'm sure you were one of the uber skooshers. :greengrin