PDA

View Full Version : League Progress

Captain Trips
05-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Please double check but at 15 games last season we had 37pts this term 31. I thought it was closer than that.

lyonhibs
05-12-2016, 12:48 PM
15 games in, our record is an irrelevance really. What it's like after 38 games is of more interest to be honest.

Radium
05-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Please double check but at 15 games last season we had 37pts this term 31. I thought it was closer than that.

... and after 18 games we had 41 points. Thing about previous seasons is that they have no relevance to this season because this year we are top and that is the only stat the players and fans should be focussing on.

Captain Trips
05-12-2016, 01:56 PM
... and after 18 games we had 41 points. Thing about previous seasons is that they have no relevance to this season because this year we are top and that is the only stat the players and fans should be focussing on.

It is not irrelevant if we are talking of progress, to suggest we have gone backwards or forwards you need to look at what has gone on before ie previous season.

We have less points however we are top of the league. I am happy with that.

It may be irrelevant to how we do this term but I used term progress therefore last season is relevant for this question.

Radium
05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
It is not irrelevant if we are talking of progress, to suggest we have gone backwards or forwards you need to look at what has gone on before ie previous season.

We have less points however we are top of the league. I am happy with that.

It may be irrelevant to how we do this term but I used term progress therefore last season is relevant for this question.

If you pluck a single stat out and build everything on it, then I would suggest it is worthless. It is easy to do, but fails to take into consideration anything else that has happened.

If you want to look at last year to date, we are a position higher but have less points. We have already had two red cards rescinded, but in the whole of last year I can only remember McGinn's. We currently have three players who were first choice picks at the time, out injured. Last year injuries hit us around March. The teams we are playing have improved the quality of their squads [save Falkirk] due to the increased gate income from the passed 2 seasons. There will be many other variables.

So, if the staring premise is, we have less points so we are going backwards, then I would suggest that for it to be a credible argument there has to be a 'because' not a 'just because'.

Captain Trips
05-12-2016, 03:23 PM
If you pluck a single stat out and build everything on it, then I would suggest it is worthless. It is easy to do, but fails to take into consideration anything else that has happened.

If you want to look at last year to date, we are a position higher but have less points. We have already had two red cards rescinded, but in the whole of last year I can only remember McGinn's. We currently have three players who were first choice picks at the time, out injured. Last year injuries hit us around March. The teams we are playing have improved the quality of their squads [save Falkirk] due to the increased gate income from the passed 2 seasons. There will be many other variables.

So, if the staring premise is, we have less points so we are going backwards, then I would suggest that for it to be a credible argument there has to be a 'because' not a 'just because'.

Nothing is being built on any stat, I remember last season we had a shaky start and didnt realise that we actually had more points this time last year at this stage. As I have stated we have less points and are top. So for me we are in a better position than this time last year. Who said we are going backwards?

wookie70
05-12-2016, 05:06 PM

No guarantee we will get to 41 points after 18 games this year. I think I was the first one to mention the points totals out in another thread because I think it is relevant. It is an indication of our where we sit. We will not freewheel to the league title we have to engage drive and kick on. That means doing better with the same players or getting some new ones. My view is the players are similar to last year and the manager is getting slightly less out of them. Unless Lennon has something new in terms of formation or training I think he needs to buy quite a few players come January and I hop they have the same impact as Shinnie and Rocky.

ancient hibee
05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
No guarantee we will get to 41 points after 18 games this year. I think I was the first one to mention the points totals out in another thread because I think it is relevant. It is an indication of our where we sit. We will not freewheel to the league title we have to engage drive and kick on. That means doing better with the same players or getting some new ones. My view is the players are similar to last year and the manager is getting slightly less out of them. Unless Lennon has something new in terms of formation or training I think he needs to buy quite a few players come January and I hop they have the same impact as Shinnie and Rocky.

There is absolutely no chance of getting to 41 points from 18 games.