PDA

View Full Version : Matt Phillips

Highland_Hibee
03-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Scored his third goal as a winger for West Brom today with a fantastic performance to boot. Bit of pace and playing in a team sitting in 6th in the English Prem. Is he tall enough to get a call up to the Scotland Squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
03-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Chris Sutton seems to think so. Then again, Sutton likes to put the boot in where Strachans concerned.

Scottie
03-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Chris Sutton seems to think so. Then again, Sutton likes to put the boot in where Strachans concerned.
And so he should put the boot in.

Strachans selections are atrocious at best and Phillips would at least add strength and pace to a very immobile forward line at the moment. There again Strachan had Oli Burke to pick and ignored him over Forrest. :rolleyes:

frazeHFC
04-12-2016, 10:50 AM
He's got strength, pace, skill and he knows how the score - which means he'll probably be left out of the next squad for Barry Bannan...

His form this season definitely merits a call-up if he keeps it up.

theonlywayisup
04-12-2016, 11:19 AM
He's got strength, pace, skill and he knows how the score - which means he'll probably be left out of the next squad for Barry Bannan...

Makes me wonder what does Barry Bannan do to merit and keep a place in the squad!!

Cocaine&Caviar
04-12-2016, 11:27 AM

At least Barry Bannan is actually Scottish.

easty
04-12-2016, 11:31 AM
At least Barry Bannan is actually Scottish.

Yep

I'd rather fail to qualify for the major tournaments with a team of Scottish Scotland players, than fail to qualify with a team of English Scotland players.

The_Horde
04-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Yep

I'd rather fail to qualify for the major tournaments with a team of Scottish Scotland players, than fail to qualify with a team of English Scotland players.

:hilarious aye cos that's got us places in the past.

easty
04-12-2016, 12:45 PM
:hilarious aye cos that's got us places in the past.

It's no getting us places now...

The_Horde
04-12-2016, 01:07 PM
It's no getting us places now...

Fact is, the problems are a lot deeper than simply playing English Scots. Its mental to suggest that simply being passionate about the country is the answer to all of our problems. It's not. It never has been.

Having a better quality of player is.

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Ohh aye 100% Scottish Scots that's exactly what we need. International football is littered with Turks and Poles playing for Germany, Brazilians playing for Spain, Senegalese playing for France and Scots playing for Ireland....why should we be the exception when we are already ****?

easty
04-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Fact is, the problems are a lot deeper than simply playing English Scots. Its mental to suggest that simply being passionate about the country is the answer to all of our problems. It's not. It never has been.

Having a better quality of player is.

Well excuse me for wanting the people who represent the Scotland national team to actually come from the nation of Scotland.

easty
04-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Ohh aye 100% Scottish Scots that's exactly what we need. International football is littered with Turks and Poles playing for Germany, Brazilians playing for Spain, Senegalese playing for France and Scots playing for Ireland....why should we be the exception when we are already ****?

100% Scottish Scots? I'll settle for someone who thinks of themselves as Scottish, not someone who's available cos they're no good enough for their own country.

Other countries do it...so?

Lago
04-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Makes me wonder what does Barry Bannan do to merit and keep a place in the squad!!

He is small of stature like Strachan.

The_Horde
04-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Well excuse me for wanting the people who represent the Scotland national team to actually come from the nation of Scotland.

Filthy half bloods will be the demise of this country.

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 03:26 PM
100% Scottish Scots? I'll settle for someone who thinks of themselves as Scottish, not someone who's available cos they're no good enough for their own country.

Other countries do it...so?

You know Matt Phillips personally do you?

Lago
04-12-2016, 03:32 PM

Is this for real??

easty
04-12-2016, 03:56 PM
You know Matt Phillips personally do you?

Nope. Do you?

Maybe I'm totally wrong and he, after growing up in England, and playing for their under 19s and 20s, actually felt he was Scottish, like whatever grandparent qualified him, all along.

WoreTheGreen
04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Honestly who gives a fk

The_Horde
04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Is this for real??

I think you've missed a joke there pal.

easty
04-12-2016, 04:02 PM

I'd make a smart arsed comment here, but I've obviously got to go get ready for my foreigners go home rally, or something.

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Nope. Do you?

Maybe I'm totally wrong and he, after growing up in England, and playing for their under 19s and 20s, actually felt he was Scottish, like whatever grandparent qualified him, all along.

Giggs captained England at School boy level. That didn't stop him being "Mr Wales" for the rest of his career. I was once against Anglo Scots in fear of Scottish based players being overlooked for them.

The problem is time has shown us that the talent poor is decreasing further and further. What use is there lessening our options even more?

Like the ruling or not Phillips is available to play for us and is performing at a level ahead of the majority of the current squad.

easty
04-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Giggs captained England at School boy level. That didn't stop him being "Mr Wales" for the rest of his career. I was once against Anglo Scots in fear of Scottish based players being overlooked for them.

The problem is time has shown us that the talent poor is decreasing further and further. What use is there lessening our options even more?

Like the ruling or not Phillips is available to play for us and is performing at a level ahead of the majority of the current squad.

The Giggs situation is different. We're picking up the scraps, not trying to steal the best players other countries have. Either way though, I'm against it.

If you were to ask Giggs where he was from, back then, I reckon he'd have said Wales (though, no I don't know him personally to ask him).

Hypothetically you could end up watching Scotland v England with 22 players on the pitch who all consider themselves English. No for me like.

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 05:42 PM
The Giggs situation is different. We're picking up the scraps, not trying to steal the best players other countries have. Either way though, I'm against it.

If you were to ask Giggs where he was from, back then, I reckon he'd have said Wales (though, no I don't know him personally to ask him).

Hypothetically you could end up watching Scotland v England with 22 players on the pitch who all consider themselves English. No for me like.

I appreciate what you are saying and I remember once upon a time it being suggested Scottish citizenship could allow Novo and Amoruso to turn out for Scotland. I vowed to never attend another Scotland game if that was to happen. Matt Phillips is Scottish enough for me in the current market.

JT Fae The Toon
04-12-2016, 05:44 PM

Freudian slip?

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Nope. Do you?

Totally agree with you, I hate all these distant links to a nation that allows players to play. I recall Jack Charlton using the rule to it's limit and finding all sorts for his Republic team.

JimBHibees
05-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Totally agree with you, I hate all these distant links to a nation that allows players to play. I recall Jack Charlton using the rule to it's limit and finding all sorts for his Republic team.

Agree guys like John Barnes a joke what lengths country's go to to get a player. :greengrin

Lago
05-12-2016, 11:55 AM
I think you've missed a joke there pal.

Certainly did pal, you must think its cutting edge humour.

Smartie
05-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I hate criticism of a player's "Scottishness".

If he's agreed to play for our country then that's good enough for me.

I'm 100% Scottish and wouldn't be eligible to play for any other country. But I can guarantee you, if I had a mad wee Irish/ Jamaican/ Polish or whatever granny who was proud of her nationality and wanted me to play for her country, I'd do it and give it absolutely 100%.

The world isn't as black and white as it used to be. Some people have mixed nationalities and are eligible - and may actually want - to play for more than one country.

All that matters is his ability, and if he is the Scottish player currently in the best form at the highest level then he should be in our team.

Brightside
05-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Any chance we can get a Scotland section on the forum? Away from the hibs.net Main Forum

05-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Honestly who gives a fk

Plenty folk who support both their Club and their Country, I'd imagine?

Septimus
05-12-2016, 04:03 PM
An Irishman with a Welsh name plays cricket for England. It all means nothing nowadays.

beensaidbefore
05-12-2016, 04:46 PM
An Irishman with a Welsh name plays cricket for England. It all means nothing nowadays.

Why doesn't he play for Ireland?

The_Horde
05-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Certainly did pal, you must think its cutting edge humour.

Next time, actually read the thread and you'll understand.

Eyrie
05-12-2016, 08:00 PM

Years ago an Englishman with a Welsh name played for a Scottish club with an Irish name. Never played internationally though.

Why doesn't he play for Ireland?

Morgan did represent Ireland before changing to England.

ihibs7
05-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Years ago an Englishman with a Welsh name played for a Scottish club with an Irish name. Never played internationally

That's gold. I'll have to remember that!