PDA

View Full Version : Play-offs again?

G B Young
03-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Yes, I know we're still top of the table and that we we're struggling with injuries, but last night was a game where it was important to put on a performance which would show that we're serious about winning the title. Instead we showed United that the title's very much there for the taking. On that evidence, if it comes down a straight fight for top spot with United then they'll win it. Not because they're especially good (the overall standard last night was depressingly dismal) but because we look marginally worse.

I hope Hibs prove me wrong but over the course of this season I've yet to see us put together the sort of commanding run that makes me think, 'yep, we're too strong for the rest.' There have been flashes of dominance but nowhere near enough to make me won't end up in a play-off for the fourth season in succession. Whether January signings can make a real difference remains to be seen but who can honestly say they're confident we'll win this league?

where'stheslope
03-12-2016, 08:38 AM
We now must win against the likes of Morton and Falkirk and hope the same teams take points off United!!!!

marinello59
03-12-2016, 08:41 AM
We will win this league. Any issues we have will be addressed in the transfer window. I have no doubts we are going up this time.

Keith_M
03-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Calm down, it's only December

HH81
03-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, I know we're still top of the table and that we we're struggling with injuries, but last night was a game where it was important to put on a performance which would show that we're serious about winning the title. Instead we showed United that the title's very much there for the taking. On that evidence, if it comes down a straight fight for top spot with United then they'll win it. Not because they're especially good (the overall standard last night was depressingly dismal) but because we look marginally worse.

I hope Hibs prove me wrong but over the course of this season I've yet to see us put together the sort of commanding run that makes me think, 'yep, we're too strong for the rest.' There have been flashes of dominance but nowhere near enough to make me won't end up in a play-off for the fourth season in succession. Whether January signings can make a real difference remains to be seen but who can honestly say they're confident we'll win this league?

Overreaction IMO. We were the better side and lost as they scored their pen and we missed ours. That is all.

Lets see where we are end feb.

Phil MaGlass
03-12-2016, 09:06 AM
We will win this league. Any issues we have will be addressed in the transfer window. I have no doubts we are going up this time.

United will also address their shortcomings in the transfr window.

andy1875
03-12-2016, 09:08 AM

Agreed.

2/3 players in during the window and we will be fine. A winger, a central midfielder and dare I say it, another option up front and i'd be happy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-12-2016, 10:49 AM

Sums it up nicely.

Steve20
04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Sums it up nicely.

Summed us nicely indeed. It's incorrect but sounds nice.

Swedish hibee
04-12-2016, 12:23 PM
We are not taking points of the teams who are equal to us in this league. That is not good enough to win promotion.
It could come down to goal difference...and that needs sorted by Lennon asap. Whatever his problem is with Cummings, he needs to be big enough to end it as we simply need him back to scoring again.

CockneyRebel
04-12-2016, 12:26 PM
United will also address their shortcomings in the transfr window.

What with - a provvie cheque?

Jonnyboy
04-12-2016, 01:20 PM

What part of it do you deem incorrect ?

green day
04-12-2016, 01:23 PM
I know - its brutal that Hibs are in the play off positions, with a poorer goals scored and an absolutely abysmal defence.

Tell you what, I am glad we got all those lucky breaks where the opposition got a man sent off incorrectly (later to be rescinded) and we took full points.

Oh no, wait - in fact every single thing I have written there is pish - but some of the posters on here would have you believe that we are trailing the pack.

You know what, Friday was rubbish - but United are crap and have ridden their luck against us. A few key injuries and dodgy results, lets see what happens to them then.

Jesus, some on here I really wonder about - if they are not slagging off the team for having a christmas night out, they are pishing their pants that we dont have the league won before christmas.

FFS

NAE NOOKIE
04-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Its a wee bit soon to start talking about the play offs. For all that we lost that game Utd didn't show enough to say to me they are any more capable of beating everybody than we are... and lets not forget we were short of two of our best players, if we had scored the penalty the very worst we would have got was a draw IMO.

Having said that I would agree that we need to start showing that we are the best team in the division by beating the teams that are the biggest danger to us and so far a win and a draw against Falkirk and a draw and a defeat against Dundee Utd isn't doing that.

I would have hoped by this stage of the season that we would have drawn away by a few points, but I don't think its time to panic just yet ... the very worst thing that could happen is to drop silly points against the likes of Dumbarton or Ayr Utd, that is something we cant afford.

jacomo
04-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Are your sheets dry yet? Stick to the laundry and stop posting on here.

Onion
04-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Hibs need to forget the playoffs, pretend they don't exist. Anything other winning the title is as good as another year in the lower leagues.

Share your concern about winning the big matches. Hearts and The Rangers made sure they came out on top in the key matches that really mattered on they way to winning this league - not only boosting their own points but killing any hope the competition had. Hibs inability to shake Falkirk last year is all the warning we need.

RedHibby
04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Anyone who thinks we are going to win this league easily has not been watching what we have done over the past three seasons. I hope we will win it, wee need to win it, because another year in this league would be disastrous for us. The issue for me is nothing has changed even although we have a few new players and a new manager. Youngsters don't get a chance, we are struggling to score goals, we have lots of the ball and we create a lot of chances but that is exactly how it has been for the last two and a half seasons. It is starting to feel a little bit like Groundhog Day.

Something needs to change and quickly or we will struggle to get the promotion we are desperate to achieve.

Dashing Bob S
04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
We are a better overall side than United, but I worry that they are more suited to grinding out results and getting out this league than we are. (Where have we heard that before?) They have won 8 and drawn 1 of their last nine games and are the form side in this division.

I think next weeks game at Ayr will be an interesting test. If they take full points there, I think they could have staying power. We face a game against a Dumbarton side who will park the bus. We really need to come through that test positively.

Pete
04-12-2016, 03:38 PM
What part of it do you deem incorrect ?

The part that's positive regarding our club.

Let's think about the play offs when/if they happen.

Mikey
04-12-2016, 03:46 PM

You are a total ****ing disgrace. You made NO posts following the 4-0 win over QoS and this week you're all over it.

DaveF
04-12-2016, 03:48 PM
You are a total ****ing disgrace. You made NO posts following the 4-0 win over QoS and this week you're all over it.

He gives us genuine miserable *******s a bad name :greengrin

HibbyAndy
04-12-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm still a 100% convinced we will win the League. We are better than them and will strengthen better then them in January too.

Oscar T Grouch
04-12-2016, 03:50 PM

That's his MO. Best to ignore or mute.

Thecat23
04-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Correct, but seems most has noticed these things and aren't taking him seriously. Never once comes on to praise the team after a win. Usually jumps in to a thread slaughters the manager/team then goes awol 😂

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Lennon out/Holt is ****/Boyle is ****/why did Boyle take the pen (even tho he hit a beauty in the SC semi)/blame LeeAnn and Dode/players shouldn't be out having a life/bring back Stubbs/worst performance ever/STEVENSON!!

Think that covers it? A big list of people to blame. Where's the Petrie threads?? Some absolute ****ing belter comments over this weekend. Precious little support are we Hibees. We lost a game of football where, there was nothing between us. If we'd been outplayed or were on a poor run of form I'd understand but naw, it was just a bad day at the office - with none of our top 4 players starting

Dundee Utd come to us in about 5 weeks time. At which point they'll have played 4/5 games away from home. We'll beat them then which will open up a gap and we'll crank it up a notch in the 2nd half of the season.

Nothing has changed my enthusiasm for the game next Saturday.

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 04:48 PM
I know - its brutal that Hibs are in the play off positions, with a poorer goals scored and an absolutely abysmal defence.

Tell you what, I am glad we got all those lucky breaks where the opposition got a man sent off incorrectly (later to be rescinded) and we took full points.

Oh no, wait - in fact every single thing I have written there is pish - but some of the posters on here would have you believe that we are trailing the pack.

You know what, Friday was rubbish - but United are crap and have ridden their luck against us. A few key injuries and dodgy results, lets see what happens to them then.

Jesus, some on here I really wonder about - if they are not slagging off the team for having a christmas night out, they are pishing their pants that we dont have the league won before christmas.

FFS

This.

Football is never a straight line from A to B.

It's always horrible to lose to rivals and we've seen ourselves lose a points margin but we weren't out played. We were missing key players. We've played so much better against them before and we are still top of the league.

All reasons to believe we will still finish on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
04-12-2016, 04:51 PM
It's only the 4th of December FFS.

Tobias Funke
04-12-2016, 04:58 PM

I actually think he isn't the full shilling. Either than or he's thick as pigswill.

Sammy7nil
04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Agreed.

2/3 players in during the window and we will be fine. A winger, a central midfielder and dare I say it, another option up front and i'd be happy.

I think Utd see promotion as essential this year or they could be here for a while. They will invest in January Cifti on loan is being touted as a possible. I still think we are better and will win the league unfortunately we have given Utd hope and it will be battle until the final few weeks of the season. We really need McGeouch to step up he has bee very disappointing so far.

JimBHibees
04-12-2016, 05:05 PM

Attentive seeking at it's best.

swin1875
04-12-2016, 05:58 PM

FFS

Couldn't agree with u more,people would still moan even if we won the league by Christmas

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Couldn't agree with u more,people would still moan even if we won the league by Christmas

Would they, who are these people? :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
04-12-2016, 07:13 PM

seriously ?

Aldo
04-12-2016, 07:21 PM

I would suggest you are wide of the mark!!

Aldo
04-12-2016, 07:27 PM

We will win the league and there is a long way to go in this league. FWIW one league defeat doesn't mean they will win it. Did they not lose to Dumbarton recently??

I wasn't happy the other night and made my feelings known but I was more disappointed at the 1st half performance. They didn't show me anything we should be scared of.

Maybe we should be reading before pressing send!!

neil7908
04-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Dundee United are totally reliant on Andreu. Without his goals they'd be nowhere near us.

I think we'll strengthen in the next window but they will also bring in players.

It's going to be tight but still think we'll do it, although hopefully all talk of walking the league is put to bed.

northstandhibby
04-12-2016, 07:40 PM

I think the vast majority of us would love to have the title wrapped up sooner rather than later and avoid the dreaded play off situation.

hibbysam
04-12-2016, 08:20 PM
I think the vast majority of us would love to have the title wrapped up sooner rather than later and avoid the dreaded play off situation.

Again, I'll harp back to last season. Rangers 'skooshed it' but after there superb start, we went to Ibrox on December 28th joint on points with them. They then pulled well clear between February and April, and I fully expect us to do the same.

Borderhibbie76
04-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Lennon out/Holt is ****/Boyle is ****/why did Boyle take the pen (even tho he hit a beauty in the SC semi)/blame LeeAnn and Dode/players shouldn't be out having a life/bring back Stubbs/worst performance ever/STEVENSON!!

Think that covers it? A big list of people to blame. Where's the Petrie threads?? Some absolute ****ing belter comments over this weekend. Precious little support are we Hibees. We lost a game of football where, there was nothing between us. If we'd been outplayed or were on a poor run of form I'd understand but naw, it was just a bad day at the office - with none of our top 4 players starting

Dundee Utd come to us in about 5 weeks time. At which point they'll have played 4/5 games away from home. We'll beat them then which will open up a gap and we'll crank it up a notch in the 2nd half of the season.

Nothing has changed my enthusiasm for the game next Saturday.
How refreshing to read a positive and realistic post - thanks mate 👍👍

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HibbySpurs
05-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Again, I'll harp back to last season. Rangers 'skooshed it' but after there superb start, we went to Ibrox on December 28th joint on points with them. They then pulled well clear between February and April, and I fully expect us to do the same.

This. I've said it before and yes I'll say it again, no team in this leauge has the strength in depth we have. You just have to look at the players on the bench to see that. Once suspensions and injuries start to affect other teams our superior squad will be the difference.

Friday was gash, just one of those days. Utd are more than lucky to have had 4 points off is. In reality the fair result would be us having had 4 points off them but that's football.

Unseen work
05-12-2016, 10:47 AM
We have been in 2nd gear all season.

We will start taking things seriously in January by playing Jason and finish champions.

matty_f
05-12-2016, 11:00 AM
This. I've said it before and yes I'll say it again, no team in this leauge has the strength in depth we have. You just have to look at the players on the bench to see that. Once suspensions and injuries start to affect other teams our superior squad will be the difference.

Friday was gash, just one of those days. Utd are more than lucky to have had 4 points off is. In reality the fair result would be us having had 4 points off them but that's football.

Good post. I tend to agree with it.

My worry is that we're without our two best players (IMHO) in McGinn and Fyvie. We'd miss one of those, never mind both.

The January window is going to be crucial. I really hope the scouting and recruitment teams are at the top of their game.

JimBHibees
05-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Good post. I tend to agree with it.

My worry is that we're without our two best players (IMHO) in McGinn and Fyvie. We'd miss one of those, never mind both.

The January window is going to be crucial. I really hope the scouting and recruitment teams are at the top of their game.

Also would be good if we could get at least one good addition prior to the United game on 6th Jan.

California-Hibs
05-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Haha, no, we'll still be taking 1st place thank you very much. No concern from me. We'll strengthen with a far higher caliber player than United will be able too.

Would place my mortgage on Hibs finishing 1st this season.

superfurryhibby
05-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Utd are enjoying the kind of "luck" that wins championships and they have already had a fair amount of injuries thus far this season. The result on Friday illustrates the strength in depth we have and how superior our squad is. The reality is that we have been inconsistent and are well behind where we were at this point last season.

I still think we will win the league, but this is one of the most important transfer windows I've known at Easter Road. Lennon needs to get the right folk in, play the best players and then get this club promoted.

HibbySpurs
05-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Haha, no, we'll still be taking 1st place thank you very much. No concern from me. We'll strengthen with a far higher caliber player than United will be able too.

Would place my mortgage on Hibs finishing 1st this season.

8/13 yer cash with Paddy Power.... Been as short as 1/3 recently but even those odds indicate where the bookies think the title will go :cb

MrSmith
05-12-2016, 11:24 AM
January will define our season and I would guess we will be very well equipped to ensure 1st place and promotion. I have no fears this season. :)

HibbySpurs
05-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Utd are enjoying the kind of "luck" that wins championships and they have already had a fair amount of injuries thus far this season. The result on Friday illustrates the strength in depth we have and how superior our squad is. The reality is that we have been inconsistent and are well behind where we were at this point last season.

I still think we will win the league, but this is one of the most important transfer windows I've known at Easter Road. Lennon needs to get the right folk in, play the best players and then get this club promoted.

Agree the coming window is important, we need a player who can cross a ****ing ball IMO, the final ball at times this season has been horrific. We don't need defenders and we really shouldn't need to be looking at strikers as to be honest Holt, Boyle, Cummings, Graham should be classed as an "embarrassment of riches" in the league! Not to say I wouldn't mind a proven goal scorer.

We need a player who can exploit those wide areas and as I sad deliver lethal ball into the box, find a player that does that and with Cummings in our squad we'll score lots and lots of goals because these are the sort of balls the JC will thrive on, he seems to have that strikers knack of being in the right place at the right time.

That's top of my new year window wish list :greengrin

scoopyboy
05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
I think I share you guy's optimism but am not quite so sure as some of you.

We should win the League and failing that you would think we should win the play offs, however it is Hibs we are talking about.

Looking at the top flight it is really hard to fathom who is going to be automatically relegated and who is going into the play offs.

I would dread the play offs but in reality you have a minimum of 180 minutes to see off teams that we reckon we are better than.

G B Young
24-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Hard to see us going back above United on current form so the play-offs for a fourth season in succession look likely. That is, assuming we finish second. Morton are nine points back but have a game in hand. Falkirk and Raith also have a game in hand. I know it seems unthinkable, but then is seemed highly unlikely we'd be in a relegation battle with just a few weeks to go back in 2014.

Phil MaGlass
24-12-2016, 03:16 PM
No good having depth if we go into next year trailing D.Utd. cant see them losing that many now their noses are in front. Their tails are up and they know how to scrap a win. Werevstill struggling with nae pace or width. Pretty shocking. Losing faith in Lennon pretty quickly.

BH Hibs
24-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Hard to see us going back above United on current form so the play-offs for a fourth season in succession look likely. That is, assuming we finish second. Morton are nine points back but have a game in hand. Falkirk and Raith also have a game in hand. I know it seems unthinkable, but then is seemed highly unlikely we'd be in a relegation battle with just a few weeks to go back in 2014.

Couldnae ****ing wait could you? Hope Santa brings you a new mattress

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Couldnae ****ing wait could you? Hope Santa brings you a new mattress

I'm getting a water bed.

Carheenlea
24-12-2016, 04:05 PM

One thing in our advantage is, that unlike you, Lennon and the players won't be throwing in the towel just yet.

G B Young
24-12-2016, 04:27 PM
One thing in our advantage is, that unlike you, Lennon and the players won't be throwing in the towel just yet.

They might not be throwing in the towel, but have they got what it takes to turn this situation around? I don't take any pleasure in taking such a pessimistic stance, but I've been following Hibs long enough to know that if they can find a way to let you down then in the majority of cases they will. I really believed that the Scottish Cup win would do more than end a 114 year curse. I thought it would give the club a renewed belief in itself. The appointment of Lennon only strengthened that belief and I found it hard to believe we would not win this league with something to spare. It's not turning out that way and I don't think it's unreasonable to express concern that we're heading for a play-off yet again.

green day
24-12-2016, 04:29 PM

Away and play wi the traffic

Pete
24-12-2016, 07:20 PM
They might not be throwing in the towel, but have they got what it takes to turn this situation around? I don't take any pleasure in taking such a pessimistic stance, but I've been following Hibs long enough to know that if they can find a way to let you down then in the majority of cases they will. I really believed that the Scottish Cup win would do more than end a 114 year curse. I thought it would give the club a renewed belief in itself. The appointment of Lennon only strengthened that belief and I found it hard to believe we would not win this league with something to spare. It's not turning out that way and I don't think it's unreasonable to express concern that we're heading for a play-off yet again.

You don't take any pleasure in taking a pessimistic stance? Santa won't come if you tell lies.

Thecat23
24-12-2016, 07:32 PM

Sorry but I think you should go for a sleep and wake up around May. It's only Dec there is loads to play for still.

Crawfordcal
24-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Can I ask who else thinks a replacement for David Gray needs to be looked at? Take away the cup final goal and don't let your heart rule your heads here. I think he is caught out defensively, used as a wing back and he can't cross a ball. The last game I can remember us scoring from a cross was Graham's header against Morton and it took a forward to whip it in for him.
Something needs to change, even if it's changing formation and using wingers. The ball is put down to him and Lewis far too much for it to go to waste.

PompeyHibs
24-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Yup... its looking like it again. Great as we have such a good record in these games.

HappyAsHellas
24-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Don't think one of his crosses missed the first man today.

BH Hibs
25-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Can I ask who else thinks a replacement for David Gray needs to be looked at? Take away the cup final goal and don't let your heart rule your heads here. I think he is caught out defensively, used as a wing back and he can't cross a ball. The last game I can remember us scoring from a cross was Graham's header against Morton and it took a forward to whip it in for him.
Something needs to change, even if it's changing formation and using wingers. The ball is put down to him and Lewis far too much for it to go to waste.

Graham scored from a cross against Dumbarton from a certain David Gray although I wouldn't play him as a wing back tbf

Onion
25-12-2016, 05:29 PM

This is all on the manager. David Gray is the best right back in the league and easily good enough for this Hibs side. I suppose if you gave Lennon the current Barcelona team he might be able to win this league, but that's not the point. The squad of players we have should be good enough for the task, so it's up to Lennon to get the most out of them.

Hanging on to promotion from the Play Offs is folly. POs is as good as another year in the lower division, with no excuses this time. We must win the league.

BullsCloseHibs
25-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Is the ees pee eel REALLY worth re joinin...?

The Green Goblin
25-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Is the ees pee eel REALLY worth re joinin...?

Financially and for better quality football matches, yes. Are you having doubts?