PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon is he the answer

Pages : [1] 2

Greenworld
03-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Notice in most of the threads we are slaughtering certain players.
I feel more concerned about our management an team selections.
Also feel we need at least two top class signings / loans
We must have the funds given the crowd increases.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2016, 08:05 AM
He is absolutely the answer and will win us this league.

Can't think of anyone I'd rather have in his place.

bingo70
03-12-2016, 08:06 AM
We're still top of the league so a bit perspective needed IMO.

Going by the rumours it appears Lennon recognises that we need creativity and goals from midfield.

I can't believe we never got anything from the game last night as we were by far the better team IMO. It was always going to be a tough game though and with the winning run they are on there was only so much of a lead we could have built up.

rcarter1
03-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Hes not had much time, but the transfer window will be vital for him. Surely with our current crowds we have a massive budget advantage over United. If the board have the stomach for the risk, we should be looking to help Lennon get as many new bodies as possible.

Greenworld
03-12-2016, 08:12 AM

Going by the rumours it appears Lennon recognises that we need creativity and goals from midfield.

I can't believe we never got anything from the game last night as we were by far the better team IMO. It was always going to be a tough game though and with the winning run they are on there was only so much of a lead we could have built up.
Can't disagree second half Hibs were better. However there is something missing ...

emerald green
03-12-2016, 08:13 AM

The bit in bold. How many times has that been said on this forum over the last few seasons?

It doesn't really matter if you are "the better team", if you end up losing matches. Winning is what counts and wins titles. If a team can do that with a bit of style then all the better.

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Privalaged to have a man of his standing and quality at our club. He is spot on with comments.

Keith_M
03-12-2016, 08:17 AM
What was the question?

:dunno:

Hermit Crab
03-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Are people seriously questioning if he's the man to take us up after only 6 months in charge? :rolleyes:

wookie70
03-12-2016, 08:30 AM
I was on the fence when Lennon came. I didn't think he had a track record that showed he would do the job. We are quickly approaching the half way mark of the season and we are worse than we were last year. He has taken a Scottish Cup winning team albeit minus a couple of players and succeeded in securing 31 points from 45 after a great start and scoring a couple less goals in the process. Stubbs took us to 37 points last year at the same point after a poor start losing 2 from the first 3 and I would argue Dundee Utd are not as good as The Rangers so an easier league this year.

The football is pretty poor to watch and I see nothing to suggest that Lennon does anything tactically or in terms motivation that will turn things round. The good news is we don't have to be as good this year as we were last year as the league is even worse. Hopefully the huge numbers ploughing in to Easter Road will see us get some signings that will give us the edge in the second half of the league.

Bishop Hibee
03-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Yes. He'll take us up.

bingo70
03-12-2016, 08:35 AM
The bit in bold. How many times has that been said on this forum over the last few seasons?

It doesn't really matter if you are "the better team", if you end up losing matches. Winning is what counts and wins titles. If a team can do that with a bit of style then all the better.

Completely agree, it's also why I'm encouraged to hear we're after wingers and creative midfielders. Remember Lennon has only had one transfer window.

1875M
03-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Football is a lot worse to watch than last season. Very predictable when the ball goes out wide, usually a cross from Gray or Stevenson that causes no trouble whatsoever to their centre halfs. If we're going to pump the ball up to Holt we need to get people running in behind and bit of creativity. Still think we'll win the league.

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2016, 08:38 AM
There's no chance Lennon will see us go on a run of 5 consecutive defeats.

Lets see how the points tally compares come April or May.

MacGruber
03-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Said it from the start - no.
Dundee Utd will win this league.
After their inevitable bad start they have wiped out our lead in all but goals. That had been coming.

Hermit Crab
03-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Football is a lot worse to watch than last season. Very predictable when the ball goes out wide, usually a cross from Gray or Stevenson that causes no trouble whatsoever to their centre halfs. If we're going to pump the ball up to Holt we need to get people running in behind and bit of creativity. Still think we'll win the league.

Which is why one or both of them should be replaced as attacking wingers. Play them in defence yes but going forward they are powderpuff when it comes to crossing ball into the box. The first man in their defence comes off the park all bruised as the ball hit him several times during the game with the pish crossing.

Joe6-2
03-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Can't disagree second half Hibs were better. However there is something missing ...

This has been the story for a while, it's like the final piece of the jigsaws just not fitting into place

IWasThere2016
03-12-2016, 08:44 AM
He's not got the tools.

Chronic failure again from the Board to give the manager the resources to ensure progress.

Failing to reach the SPL next season will be a disaster.

We need better than we have - and a number thereof. We should have had 4 quality signings - even on terms for this season only - to make winning the league easier than it is going to be.

Said before season started, this team is poorer than last season's and we didn't go up then.

emerald green
03-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Completely agree, it's also why I'm encouraged to hear we're after wingers and creative midfielders. Remember Lennon has only had one transfer window.

I agree mate regarding the transfer window, but I don't think Hibs strengthened adequately at the end of last season. We are definitely missing Henderson (in particular), Stokes and Gunnarson. That was very disappointing on the back of huge season ticket sales plus the money supporters are donating through HSL.

I really hope Hibs are able to bring in the type, and quality, of players needed to help get the club out of this division. It does worry me though that the January transfer window can be a difficult time to get the quality of players needed. There's no point just bringing in bodies that are not going to really improve on what's already there.

Secondly, it takes time for new signings (whether on loan or not) to settle in at a club, and to begin to gel with their new team mates, both on and off the pitch. Harmony in the squad is hugely important.

Thirdly, creative midfielders are worth their weight in gold and come at a high price. Will Hibs budget be adequate to meet that price? Here's hoping.

cmcd
03-12-2016, 08:50 AM
He's not got the tools.

Chronic failure again from the Board to give the manager the resources to ensure progress.

Failing to reach the SPL next season will be a disaster.

We need better than we have - and a number thereof. We should have had 4 quality signings - even on terms for this season only - to make winning the league easier than it is going to be.

Said before season started, this team is poorer than last season's and we didn't go up then.

I'm very confused

Tyler Durden
03-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Privalaged to have a man of his standing and quality at our club. He is spot on with comments.

Nah

He is priveleged to have the job. Needs to get his finger out and take the opportunity or his career is over.

People saying "we are top of the league" as a defence of Lennon.... This league is appalling. We should be 10 points clear by now

mim
03-12-2016, 09:03 AM
After their inevitable bad start they have wiped out our lead in all but goals. That had been coming.

Before last night's game, I thought United would run us very close, but after seeing them, I'm certain we will win this league comfortably. :flag:

shreevesy
03-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Nah

He is priveleged to have the job. Needs to get his finger out and take the opportunity or his career is over.

People saying "we are top of the league" as a defence of Lennon.... This league is appalling. We should be 10 points clear by now

I'm on this page. Take out his Celtic record and he has done nothing. It's fairly well agreed that winning the league with Celtic isn't too difficult given the finances and the facilities. His record outwith Celtic is dreadful. We should be horsing this league but we are not.

1875M
03-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Which is why one or both of them should be replaced as attacking wingers. Play them in defence yes but going forward they are powderpuff when it comes to crossing ball into the box. The first man in their defence comes off the park all bruised as the ball hit him several times during the game with the pish crossing.

Exactly, signing a decent winger should be a priority in January

wookie70
03-12-2016, 09:12 AM

Not sure what you mean about his "standing". If it is his managerial pedigree then I would say it is a mixed bag. He did well with Celtic but that would be expected and has been poor elsewhere including Hibs imo. He came from a job that most would have failed at but there was little to suggest he has any great "standing".

Look at what MacKinnon has done at Dundee Utd. He has taken a shambles of a team, with less money than us, to joint top after doing a great job at Raith last year. Lennon has taken a Cup Winning Team and managed to secure less points than at the same stage last year in an even poorer league and got knocked out all the cups early doors too. I think we may edge the league but it will be close. I don't think Lennon is really bringing anything to the table at the moment, hopefully that will change.

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 09:17 AM
I was on the fence when Lennon came. I didn't think he had a track record that showed he would do the job. We are quickly approaching the half way mark of the season and we are worse than we were last year. He has taken a Scottish Cup winning team albeit minus a couple of players and succeeded in securing 31 points from 45 after a great start and scoring a couple less goals in the process. Stubbs took us to 37 points last year at the same point after a poor start losing 2 from the first 3 and I would argue Dundee Utd are not as good as The Rangers so an easier league this year.

The football is pretty poor to watch and I see nothing to suggest that Lennon does anything tactically or in terms motivation that will turn things round. The good news is we don't have to be as good this year as we were last year as the league is even worse. Hopefully the huge numbers ploughing in to Easter Road will see us get some signings that will give us the edge in the second half of the league.

We have lost the 2 players who WON us the Cup!!!!

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Nah

That is an impossible ask. He would need £5million and a new team. He was landed with Stubbsy's team who were not good enough to win the league. We managed to secure a few Celtic loan players and that was how we won the Cup. It is now up to the Board to back Neil and the management team. I am shocked people are questioning him already???? What would you do? Bring in another manager or do you have a general problem with the manager??? ?

snooky
03-12-2016, 09:22 AM
I'm not a big Lennon fan but despite the result I saw one thing that cheered my heart. We chased them down all over the park which is a major change from the days when we sat back and gave opposing teams space and time.
We have weaknesses and as everybody points out the deliverrrrry from the wings is a big one. It's worth remembering we were playing away, against our nearest rivals, without 2main players in the engine room, dominated a good part of the game and deserved at least a point.
The result is not the end of the world. It's how we react to this setback which is more important.

Mikey
03-12-2016, 09:24 AM
McGinn and Fyvie.

Nuff said.

wookie70
03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
We have lost the 2 players who WON us the Cup!!!! Which I acknowledged in my post. We have also signed players so a chance for Lennon to make a positive contribution. Good signings in Rocky and Shinnie but not convinced with Graham or Holt. I think Utd lost 10 players last year and they looked as good as us.

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Which I acknowledged in my post. We have also signed players so a chance for Lennon to make a positive contribution. Good signings in Rocky and Shinnie but not convinced with Graham or Holt. I think Utd lost 10 players last year and they looked as good as us.

Dundee United are not as good as a full strength Hibs. Personally I feel he brings a presence and strength to the club. At Tannadice I felt proud to see him leading our team. He takes no nonsense from anyone and stands up for the club. Have you seen who he is trying to bring in? That is a positive surely?

wookie70
03-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Dundee United are not as good as a full strength Hibs. Personally I feel he brings a presence and strength to the club. At Tannadice I felt proud to see him leading our team. He takes no nonsense from anyone and stands up for the club. Have you seen who he is trying to bring in? That is a positive surely?

I would only be interested in who he brings in not what is speculated on. We look a bit tougher than Stubbs team but play a worse brand of football. Did Stubbs take any nonsense. You clearly rate him very highly but I will judge him on what he does at Hibs. At this point the Jury is still out but I for one am getting more worried. A few good signings could change that but there is nothing certain there.

B.H.F.C
03-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Must do better. We are top of the league, despite being pretty average.

There is improvement in us. Even though we were pretty grim last night I didn't see much to suggest they are a better team than us.

Steve20
03-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Before last night's game, I thought United would run us very close, but after seeing them, I'm certain we will win this league comfortably. :flag:

After seeing us I can't see how you think we're better than them. They have the better manager as well

Col_0762
03-12-2016, 09:55 AM
After seeing us I can't see how you think we're better than them. They have the better manager as well

I'm no Lennon fan, despise him being truthful. However, we were by far the best team last night. They will drop more points than us. A missed penalty cost us a win and probably a 2 or 3 nil victory. They are very ordinary and an under strength Hibs bossed them.

Baldy Foghorn
03-12-2016, 10:01 AM

Stop it:faf::faf:

Baldy Foghorn
03-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Must do better. We are top of the league, despite being pretty average.

There is improvement in us. Even though we were pretty grim last night I didn't see much to suggest they are a better team than us.

We were certainly not great last night, but agree, don't see anything in them to be honest.

Looked a fairly even game, draw would have been fair, tale of two penalties......

Mikey
03-12-2016, 10:17 AM

Your life must be ****ing miserable Steve. Nothing is ever good enough for you.

Ever thought of trying to get a ride?

Pedantic_Hibee
03-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Good grief.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2016, 10:27 AM
That is an impossible ask. He would need £5million and a new team. He was landed with Stubbsy's team who were not good enough to win the league. We managed to secure a few Celtic loan players and that was how we won the Cup. It is now up to the Board to back Neil and the management team. I am shocked people are questioning him already???? What would you do? Bring in another manager or do you have a general problem with the manager??? ?

What's an impossible ask? We should have won 3 or 4 games more than we have, that is clear to me.

Landed with this team? We are by far biggest team in this division with the biggest budget by far. His signings have been pretty poor and he's not getting the best from the squad IMO.

Still plenty time to improve and be a success, but if we are giving him a report card he's a 5 out of 10 for now. All this stuff about "takes no nonsense" is meaningless, results have not been anywhere near good enough

Baldy Foghorn
03-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Your life must be ****ing miserable Steve. Nothing is ever good enough for you.

Ever thought of trying to get a ride?

He'd only moan it wasn't good enough:wink:

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2016, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Canon Hannan;4871556Personally I feel he brings a presence and strength to the club. At Tannadice I felt proud to see him leading our team. He takes no nonsense from anyone and stands up for the club. Have you seen who he is trying to bring in? That is a positive surely?[/QUOTE]

:top marks

Imagine if if we'd gone for MacKinnon as manager. A guy with nowt but 1st division experience.

We need some better players in, no doubt about that, but without NL in charge I just don't think we'd be doing nearly as well as we are.

Too many of our players are bog standard, Lennon will know that now and will fix it as best he can in Jan.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-12-2016, 10:31 AM
We have lost the 2 players who WON us the Cup!!!!

Pish. 14 players (plus more including the earlier rounds and management team) won us the cup and tbh I'm ****ing sick and tired of hearing this nonsense. What about the numerous games where both these players were completely anonymous?

Regarding last night, clearly I watched a different game from many on here as I felt, particularly in the 2nd half we were the better side. We can blame Stevenson, Gray, Lennon whoever but the system we play leads to us putting crosses in to the box. Nobody can say NO crosses made it in to the box. Where were the runners?

The overreaction on here after a loss is ****ing embarrassing. Questioning everyone and everything like we're some sort of tactical geniuses.

As for Lennon, aye his record at Celtic can be questioned to a certain degree however he did assemble probably the best team either of the old firm built in about 10 years (and I'd argue all day long his side on 2013/14 would beat this current side managed by Rodgers. His European record was fantastic and when he went into Bolton (probably before he realised the dire financial situation) he actually done alright but unfortunately for him they were already gone.

Rant over

Eyrie
03-12-2016, 10:39 AM
If Lennon is such a good manager, then why did he fail to identify our need for width and then address the problem in the summer?

My jury remains out on him.

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Pish. 14 players (plus more including the earlier rounds and management team) won us the cup and tbh I'm ****ing sick and tired of hearing this nonsense. What about the numerous games where both these players were completely anonymous?

Regarding last night, clearly I watched a different game from many on here as I felt, particularly in the 2nd half we were the better side. We can blame Stevenson, Gray, Lennon whoever but the system we play leads to us putting crosses in to the box. Nobody can say NO crosses made it in to the box. Where were the runners?

The overreaction on here after a loss is ****ing embarrassing. Questioning everyone and everything like we're some sort of tactical geniuses.

As for Lennon, aye his record at Celtic can be questioned to a certain degree however he did assemble probably the best team either of the old firm built in about 10 years (and I'd argue all day long his side on 2013/14 would beat this current side managed by Rodgers. His European record was fantastic and when he went into Bolton (probably before he realised the dire financial situation) he actually done alright but unfortunately for him they were already gone.

Rant over

Some good points and I agree with everything you say. Neil will help Hibs gain promotion as long as the Club support him.
Stoksey was the key to us winning the final in my view.

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 11:00 AM
If Lennon is such a good manager, then why did he fail to identify our need for width and then address the problem in the summer?

My jury remains out on him.

Because he is not a miracle worker. He has said yesterday we need to strengthen. You can't March into a club and buy players at random- takes time.

Kavinho
03-12-2016, 11:05 AM
McGinn and Fyvie.

Nuff said.

Absolutely spot on

emerald green
03-12-2016, 11:06 AM
By "is he the answer" I'm going to assume the OP means can Neil Lennon get Hibs promoted this season.

I genuinely don't know, but it doesn't look like it's a certainty right now IMO. He might. He might not. If he doesn't, it will probably mean he will be sacked, and a fourth season in this pish poor league. Unthinkable really.

If the worst does come to pass, there won't be 11,000+ season ticket sales next season. He simply MUST get this club promoted this season. Many of the players are also out of contract at the end of the season and they are now playing for their futures too.

emerald green
03-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Because he is not a miracle worker. He has said yesterday we need to strengthen. You can't March into a club and buy players at random- takes time.

How has MacKinnon got DU joint top straight after they were relegated and were a total mess at the beginning of this season?

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 11:08 AM
100% behind Lennon.

100% behind the team.

100% convinced we will win the league.

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2016, 11:14 AM
MacKinnon gets praise when he's joint top of the league.

Lennon gets slated when he's joint top of the league.

:confused:

jdships
03-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Stop it:faf::faf:

matty_f
03-12-2016, 11:24 AM

The something missing was McGinn and Fyvie. Both are massive players for us.

shetlandhibee
03-12-2016, 11:28 AM

emerald green
03-12-2016, 11:31 AM

I think a lot of people expected Hibs to "skoosh" this league, and/or to be comfortably in front. See some of the posts on this Forum for the source of that information.

The expectations were certainly higher at Hibs than they were at DU at the start of this season. MacKinnon has taken a shambles at DU and has got them joint top and undefeated in 11 games in all competitions. I'm pretty sure even the most optimistic Arab would not have predicted that at the start of the season. That's why he's getting the praise and Neil Lennon is not.

See also post #58.

Hiber-nation
03-12-2016, 11:35 AM
I thought last night's performance was ok all things considered but I still think Lennon's signings have been poor and I just can't take to the man.

wookie70
03-12-2016, 11:35 AM
100% behind Lennon.

100% behind the team.

70% convinced we will win the league.

resident_Arab
03-12-2016, 11:38 AM
How has MacKinnon got DU joint top straight after they were relegated and were a total mess at the beginning of this season?

Very shrewd signings, he had no scope to get it wrong, took a risk having only one striker in squad though which hopefully will be addressed in January

Only had 8 first teamers from last season and made 10 signings (on a much reduced budget)

Regardless of what happens this season , we are only going to improve as a club under him, we are very early stages yet

Beefster
03-12-2016, 11:48 AM
I think a lot of people expected Hibs to "skoosh" this league, and/or to be comfortably in front. See some of the posts on this Forum for the source of that information.

The expectations were certainly higher at Hibs than they were at DU at the start of this season. MacKinnon has taken a shambles at DU and has got them joint top and undefeated in 11 games in all competitions. I'm pretty sure even the most optimistic Arab would not have predicted that at the start of the season. That's why he's getting the praise and Neil Lennon is not.

So the problem is unrealistic expectations amongst some supporters. Folk seem to forget that we're an established Championship club with no divine right to 'skoosh' anything.

emerald green
03-12-2016, 12:06 PM
So the problem is unrealistic expectations amongst some supporters. Folk seem to forget that we're an established Championship club with no divine right to 'skoosh' anything.

I totally agree. To say that a club (any club) is going to "skoosh" a league title is empty headed nonsense.

As I've posted before, injuries to key players can wreck a club's season for example.

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Very shrewd signings, he had no scope to get it wrong, took a risk having only one striker in squad though which hopefully will be addressed in January

Only had 8 first teamers from last season and made 10 signings (on a much reduced budget)

Regardless of what happens this season , we are only going to improve as a club under him, we are very early stages yet

Have to agree with all this. I thought you would struggle after the start you had but credit where it's due Utd have dug deep and got the points they needed.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2016, 12:17 PM

£5m,are you mad? :confused:

Teapot
03-12-2016, 12:19 PM
One gripe I have with Lennon is the time he takes to make subs. Graham should have been on much sooner last night as Holt wasn't having the best of games and wasn't winning any aerial battles with the Utd centre halves. I would also have had JC on much sooner as well.

Big month coming up for us.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2016, 12:22 PM

What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so

neil7908
03-12-2016, 12:27 PM
I was happy when Lennon came in and he still retains my backing. I think we had a pretty poor summer in terms of recruitment though and it still feels like he doesn't know his best team.

Looking at the players we're being linked with I think he may now be realising the weak areas of the squad. I'd like to see us going back to a 4-4-2 if we can sign some wide players. We also have far too many forward players who other than Jason don't have many goals in them.

matty_f
03-12-2016, 12:31 PM

Which manager does the league table say is better?

Swedish hibee
03-12-2016, 12:36 PM
The jury is out for me.
Could come down to goal difference, so he needs to address that asap.

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 12:38 PM

😂😂

Steve c'mon this must be a piss take, even for your standards that's a shocker of a post!!

Nicho87
03-12-2016, 12:39 PM
No

Diclonius
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
I'll say the exact same thing I've said all season.

He has to get us promoted. If he doesn't, then his contract should be terminated the minute we fail to get promotion. He has until then.

gillythehibby
03-12-2016, 01:06 PM
It's funny the reaction from some after a defeat. Had we scored our penalty and gawn six clear, this thread wouldnt have been a starter. Try looking at the players, not the manager ! He didny miss the penalty. Lennon's been fine. Lets see who we get in during the window.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2016, 01:26 PM
It's funny the reaction from some after a defeat. Had we scored our penalty and gawn six clear, this thread wouldnt have been a starter. Try looking at the players, not the manager ! He didny miss the penalty. Lennon's been fine. Lets see who we get in during the window.

I reckon we'd all be living in utopia if we had won half the games we should have won but didnt?

Are you not getting even a little tired of all these excuses?

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Have to agree with all this. I thought you would struggle after the start you had but credit where it's due Utd have dug deep and got the points they needed.We should try that!

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 01:57 PM
We should try that!

I agree, we must take our chances simple as that.

Green-Hibee-7
03-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Not convinced in the slightest tbh. I was one of the many annoyed by the tippy tappy around the box play under Stubbs that we had a bit of last year. But this constant hoofing to holt is eye bleeding. Even worse when it's hoofed to the smaller of the two strikers. I'd say it's needed but as an alternative option - why does it have to be the little and large show? Cummings and Boyle up top might not link to well but the pace would create chances and be more than enough to rip some of the teams in this league up. Stubbs singings on the whole - youthful, talented - Lennons signings of holt, graham don't fill me with same excitement. I hope he is the man to do it.

Lago
03-12-2016, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4871711]What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so[/QUOTE
Not true, both want & expect to be promoted as champions.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2016, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4871711]What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so[/QUOTE
Not true, both want & expect to be promoted as champions.

This is a quote from 2 days ago from Ray McKinnon

"From our point of view it's about giving it everything we've got this season and matching our expectation levels. Get in the top 4, get in the play offs and get back in the Premiership. If we can win the league it would be a miracle given how we've had to turn the club around".

The Utd fan posting on here said as much in recent weeks. Having just been relegated and major turnover of players, they were realistic about what could be achieved. Only now are they seeing the big opportunity as Hibs have faltered.

Hibs have the biggest budget and 2 years experience in this division. Our points total to date is well behind expectations.

To answer someone else's question the league table tells me that McKinnon is the better manager at the moment

rcarter1
03-12-2016, 02:37 PM
What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so

Exactly. :agree:

Our average gates are 14K, United's are around 7K. We have been building towards promotion for two years, they have had to rebuild from scratch. Hibs will be absolutely gutted from top to bottom if we dont get promoted this year. United can probably soak another year before despondency sets in. If United win the League this year, they (and anyone else) will rightly consider it a heroic effort. We are expected to win the league just as Rangers were expected the year before.

Lago
03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Exactly. :agree:

Our average gates are 14K, United's are around 7K. We have been building towards promotion for two years, they have had to rebuild from scratch. Hibs will be absolutely gutted from top to bottom if we dont get promoted this year. United can probably soak another year before despondency sets in. If United win the League this year, they (and anyone else) will rightly consider it a heroic effort. We are expected to win the league just as Rangers were expected the year before.

Been building towards promotion for 2 years, well thats one way of describing it.

jacomo
03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Stoksey was the key to us winning the final in my view.

On fire at Hampden no doubt.

But other players did a lot more to get us there, giving Stokes the stage on which to perform.

Your pro Celtc bias is painful.

Franck Stanton
03-12-2016, 02:56 PM

Wookie, lets get real,yes there are two players missing from the Legends--but two great players that can control/turn games.And as for last nights game,we were without our "engineroom" & arguably our best players and still the only difference in the two teams was they scored with their penalty -we didn't.

Smartie
03-12-2016, 02:58 PM
I remain 100% behind Lennon, firmly believe he's the man for the job and I have a degree of sympathy for him at the moment.

For all we improved and won the cup under Stubbs, we still ultimately failed to gain promotion under him. There were problems with our squad and we simply weren't good enough to gain promotion under him.

The problems had to be addressed and Stubbs would have been the best person to address them. Any new manager was going to have to take some time to evaluate the current squad whilst still having to hit the ground running.

We made an excellent start and as the transfer window closed, you could forgive Lennon for thinking the squad we had was strong enough.

The problem is, many of the failings we've had for some time still exist. We still don't score enough goals (creating and taking chances), we still don't have the answer for packed defences, we still look weak when we get a couple of injuries and we still lose to many silly goals from high balls into the box.

Lennon can't add to his squad until January so he's got to work with what he's got until then. He will know himself that a few of our players are not good enough, and he'll have to fight the urge to "Butcher" them by being too critical and negative, as he still has to rely on them to get results.

What he had to do was stay in contention until January and anyone who honestly expected to skoosh this league is a bit delusional.

A few decent acquisitions and this squad is transformed and I see him making 2 or 3 big signings in January, even if just on loan.

There can be no doubt though, the margins are very slight for him. We wins the league, he's a success, he doesn't - he has failed. There are no mitigating factors this time (unlike with Stubbs).

I'm not going to pretend that last night was anything like good enough, but I don't think the manager was to blame.

northstandhibby
03-12-2016, 04:16 PM
If we don't beat Dumbarton next week then he really will come under severe pressure. Dundee Utd have Ayr away which won't be easy so get it right next week Lenny.

:agree:

wookie70
03-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Wookie, lets get real,yes there are two players missing from the Legends--but two great players that can control/turn games.And as for last nights game,we were without our "engineroom" & arguably our best players and still the only difference in the two teams was they scored with their penalty -we didn't.

No doubting we miss those legends but Shinnie is an able replacement for Henderson not as many goals but more assists per game. We have missed Stokes goals and Holt hasn't worked out for me scoring at about half the rate of Stokes. Grahams scoring record for Hibs is excellent he just can't score from the bench! No doubting we missed Fyvie and McGinn last night but Lennon brought in two holding midfielders who are both slow on the ball and don't like getting forward. It's only a few weeks ago lots wanted McGinn rested. I would have liked to have seen us try something a wee bit more dynamic last night. My frustrations don't only come from last night though. There have been a number of games where substitutions have been late and formations that weren't working have been persevered with. We hit it long far too often and give away possession trying to force it. I don't want tippy tappy but it has been too harem scarem for me.

Lennon has huge amounts of experience in the game but the users of this Forum have much more experience of Hibs. The issues of the last few years are still there. Some improvements have been made but the glaring lack of pace, width and goals from midfield have not been fixed. The set pieces are pretty bog standard and when we did try something different it went tits up and got Fyvie a two month lay off. The players look like they are trying to me so credit to the manager there. The defence have been pretty good and the Rocky looks like an improvement too so well done Lennon on that. We are though scoring even less goals this year and I wouldn't have thought that was possible considering the opposition.

I am not saying Lennon is doing a shocking job or he should be sacked. My view is he hasn't really done anything of note and although we are joint top we have picked up a good few points less than last year. I think the rest of the season will be similar to how it has started and that worries me greatly. With 14K gates and huge sales of DVDs etc I would hope the board throw the kitchen sink at it in January. Hopefully Lennon can find the right players. He has been a bit hit and a miss in the transfer market up to now imo.

silverhibee
03-12-2016, 05:20 PM

Agree, they are big players for us but we should have a decent enough squad that we can replace them and still beat United and other teams in this leagueor are we to go on a run of defeats or draws because they are not in the team for the next six weeks or more.

silverhibee
03-12-2016, 05:23 PM
£5m,are you mad? :confused:

Think he is in paradise.

Canon Hannan
04-12-2016, 07:53 AM
On fire at Hampden no doubt.

But other players did a lot more to get us there, giving Stokes the stage on which to perform.

Your pro Celtc bias is painful.

Jacomo - I never mentioned the previous rounds. The Final which I witnessed was won due to a Celtic player on loan winning the game for us along with DG.

If thinking Stokes man of the match performance was obvious?

Lucky the Board don't feel your anti Celtc resentments or we would not have won the game.

Ozyhibby
04-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Lennon is being asked to get us up with a worse squad than Stubbs failed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
04-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Not convinced in the slightest tbh. I was one of the many annoyed by the tippy tappy around the box play under Stubbs that we had a bit of last year. But this constant hoofing to holt is eye bleeding. Even worse when it's hoofed to the smaller of the two strikers. I'd say it's needed but as an alternative option - why does it have to be the little and large show? Cummings and Boyle up top might not link to well but the pace would create chances and be more than enough to rip some of the teams in this league up. Stubbs singings on the whole - youthful, talented - Lennons signings of holt, graham don't fill me with same excitement. I hope he is the man to do it.

I watched Arsenal last night rip apart West Ham with the smallest front 3 you've ever seen, size isn't important but skill is. We need pace, proper width from attacking midfielders and guile in the middle to play killer passes. My biggest worry with a big front man is we reverted to lumps up the park instead to feet.

HibeeDaz6270
04-12-2016, 09:31 AM
We are only approaching the mid way point of the Season, so its difficult to assess at the moment as still a long way to go. I however do think we should be slightly further ahead than we currently are with the Squad Lennon has at his disposal & the budget compared to his competition

The fact Dundee Utd have climbed back to level with us after there poor start i think is massive credit to them but also shows that we are not performing to the level we should be.

Get us up & out of this league and i dont think many people will care. I do however think the performances need to improve. We created very very little at tannadice the whole game. We were very poor.

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Lennon is being asked to get us up with a worse squad than Stubbs failed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He signed replacements for those players that left, it was his job to make that team better, and as you say it's not.

Like a few others, i'm optimistic because of the names being mentioned that we are apparently interested in.

Although he needs to deliver, failure is not an option this time.

Super_JMcGinn
04-12-2016, 09:36 AM

Privaleged is certainly not a word

I'd use.

Wee Effen Bee
04-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Yes.

Big L
04-12-2016, 08:31 PM
We really need a wee bit more creativity up front and I have to wonder if McGeough playing in behind the front two instead of Shinnie might be the answer. I could see us getting away wi playing Cummings and Boyle if we had someone wi a football brain playing thru balls. McGeough is absolutely wasted and totally non existent in the position he currently plays, totally out of it against Dun Utd.

Ilovehibs
04-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Lennon designated Boyle the penalty taker.
Yes, he didn't personally miss it but he selected Boyle- not known for his finishing.

I am not convinced by Lennon.

For me, he needs to play Cummings from the start.
Really hope he does succeed in winning this league.

147lothian
05-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Lennon designated Boyle the penalty taker.
Yes, he didn't personally miss it but he selected Boyle- not known for his finishing.

I am not convinced by Lennon.

For me, he needs to play Cummings from the start.
Really hope he does succeed in winning this league.

Did he select Boyle? I thought Holt and Boyle took the ball of him?

hibs0666
05-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Aberdeen supporters want their manager punted.

Ditto the huns, the gunts and we seem to be getting there too.

It's a funny old game.

Hibby 2005
05-12-2016, 07:23 AM
The answer will be at the end of the season. He made the wrong team choice for the Dundee Utd. game which may come back to haunt him.

Ilovehibs
05-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Did he select Boyle? I thought Holt and Boyle took the ball of him?

Yeah. He said in his post match interview that Boyle was the named penalty taker for the match.

cmcd
05-12-2016, 11:34 AM
The answer will be at the end of the season. He made the wrong team choice for the Dundee Utd. game which may come back to haunt him.

Explain please

RIP Bestie
05-12-2016, 01:36 PM
No. He can go anytime he wants

steakbake
05-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Lots of guns being jumped here. Right man for the job - he will get us up.

JimBHibees
05-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Lots of guns being jumped here. Right man for the job - he will get us up.

Absolutely give the guy a proper chance. Genuinely seems a decent guy and hope he gets us up.

cmcd
05-12-2016, 03:22 PM

This is a joke Yes ????

emerald green
05-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Aberdeen supporters want their manager punted.

Ditto the huns, the gunts and we seem to be getting there too.

It's a funny old game.

Some Manchester United supporters wanted rid of Sir Alex Ferguson in the early part of his tenure at Old Trafford. Then MU started winning things. Regularly.

It's what football fans do. All over the world. Always have done, and I suspect they always will. Failure isn't an option in the eyes of many (most?) football fans.

Most managers know it's only a matter of time before they get the sack.

ancient hibee
05-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Some English fans tried to get up a petition to get rid of Ramsay in 1965.

Shrekko
05-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Doing a good job and seems a great guy as well. Ridiculous this is even being discussed. We've had a lot of bad luck this season but still top. It's some of the players who haven't done their job not Lennon. There's not been a game this season when we've not been better side.

familyman
05-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Which I acknowledged in my post. We have also signed players so a chance for Lennon to make a positive contribution. Good signings in Rocky and Shinnie but not convinced with Graham or Holt. I think Utd lost 10 players last year and they looked as good as us.
He was specifically brought in to get us promoted.......that means being consistent and we are not,so he has still to do the job ........we should be well ahead by now ..so again not doing job as expected.
Despite that there are no others I feel can do better...so if Neil wants to go South again he needs to get this lot believing and fast. I would give him a bit more time and support for now at any rate.
He installed at Celtic consistency so why not here.//We have a :flag:team good at talking to the press but the talking is to be on the pitch.......

B.H.F.C
05-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Doing a good job and seems a great guy as well. Ridiculous this is even being discussed. We've had a lot of bad luck this season but still top. It's some of the players who haven't done their job not Lennon. There's not been a game this season when we've not been better side.

I don't think it's time to be seriously questioning him just yet. But I don't think we can say he's doing a particularly good job either.

He started very well. Some good performances in pre season and against Brondby. Then obviously winning our first 5 games.

However we've been knocked out of two cup competitions at home to poor opposition and we've only taken 16 points from our last 10 games.

I still think we will win the league which is the minimum requirement. I want to see us playing well on a more consistent basis though.

RIP Bestie
06-12-2016, 09:37 AM
This is a joke Yes ????

No

JimBHibees
06-12-2016, 09:40 AM
No

At least you gave him a chance.

Paloschi
06-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Lennon is the man. He will 100% get us up. He is a manager and a leader. Not a 'head coach'.

I expect us to pull away from United about Feb/March.

Betty Boop
06-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Just an observation, but Lennon doesn't appear to have the enthusiasm and passion for Hibs, as he had for Celtic. Comes across as a bit reserved when talking about us.

yekimevol
06-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Im not his biggest fan tbh. For me the style of play has gotten worse under him, im not the biggest fan of his signings. But since were still top, we can get question him to much; however the moment winning the league looks like its in jeopardy then the situation must be looked at since there isnt a ranger or hearts in the league this year.

Dashing Bob S
06-12-2016, 12:18 PM
My mind criticism of Lennon is his mind games. You have to look at the table and think, so this is Christmas, and what have we done?

JDHibs
06-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Really annoys me when people say we "should be miles ahead", or we "should be skooshing" this league.

Why should we? Because we are Hibs? Because we won the cup? Means absolutely jack all every Saturday this season.

Utter crap. We have no devine right to walk this league. Which is the main problem as after the cup win most fans thought we would walk this league. Now they are panicking because it isnt all going our way.

On paper we should win this league, but the players have still got to go out and do a job, nobody gives a toss about our turnover or who we have on paper on matchday. The players still need to win the games to get us out this league and frankly they arent, and havent done that over the past few seasons. On paper we should be 5th in the top league and yet smaller teams are continually achieving more than us.

Get those stupid thoughts out of your head, we are in a fight to win this. We will not win this league by miles or skoosh it.

Canon Hannan
06-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Just an observation, but Lennon doesn't appear to have the enthusiasm and passion for Hibs, as he had for Celtic. Comes across as a bit reserved when talking about us.

When he was Celtic manager my mate met him on a plane to Ireland he was complimenting Hibs then. He is a Celtic man and there is no denying it. But like every Celtic orientated person I know and have met they respect Hibernian. He will give 100% to Hibs.

Kato
06-12-2016, 12:22 PM
My mind criticism of Lennon is his mind games. You have to look at the table and think, so this is Christmas, and what have we done?

Ach, you're just a jealous guy.

Canon Hannan
06-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Really annoys me when people say we "should be miles ahead", or we "should be skooshing" this league.

Why should we? Because we are Hibs? Because we won the cup? Means absolutely jack all every Saturday this season.

Utter crap. We have no devine right to walk this league. Which is the main problem as after the cup win most fans thought we would walk this league. Now they are panicking because it isnt all going our way.

On paper we should win this league, but the players have still got to go out and do a job, nobody gives a toss about our turnover or who we have on paper on matchday. The players still need to win the games to get us out this league and frankly they arent, and havent done that over the past few seasons. On paper we should be 5th in the top league and yet smaller teams are continually achieving more than us.

Get those stupid thoughts out of your head, we are in a fight to win this. We will not win this league by miles or skoosh it.

Brilliant post.
Well said.

Dashing Bob S
06-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Some of us are acting like a bully who is put back a year at school for not being very bright and who constantly threatens smaller kids. Then one comes along and puts him on his backside. The bully whines that he 'wasn't ready' or 'wasn't feeling well' and will 'get you next time.' Meanwhile the other kids in the school are starting to s****** at this figure of fun and his delusions of grandeur. This is not a good look. Leave that mentality to Jambos/Huns.

southfieldhibby
06-12-2016, 01:27 PM
I couldn't get my head round the general feeling that Lennon was a good appointment for Hibs. Given any average coach could win the league with Celtc and his less than glorious time at Bolton, I couldn't see it personally. Also his behaviour as Celtc player/manager was grim, and I simply don't like him.

I don't like his style of play either, 5 defenders, a holding midfielder and an aging big lad up front.His preparation for the start of season was based around his commitments watching NI in France, so our squad and signings were poor to say the least. Any weaknesses in our squad are the fault of Lennon.

His handling of Cummings is also questionable

And given we play 3 centre backs and a midfield 3, I doubt he's looking at wingers...unless of course he needs another winger to play up front instead of Cummings :rolleyes:

We should win the league, playing some pretty poor football, but that's got plenty to do with the mess inheritated at Tannadice by a guy who I would have preferred over Lennon.I wanted Cathro over Lennon too.

I hope he wins the league, get's a job offer elsewhere and he takes it. I just don't want him to be the manager of the football team I follow round Scotland.

Thecat23
06-12-2016, 01:33 PM

😂😂

That's a belter!!

Super_JMcGinn
06-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I couldn't get my head round the general feeling that Lennon was a good appointment for Hibs. Given any average coach could win the league with Celtc and his less than glorious time at Bolton, I couldn't see it personally. Also his behaviour as Celtc player/manager was grim, and I simply don't like him.

I don't like his style of play either, 5 defenders, a holding midfielder and an aging big lad up front.His preparation for the start of season was based around his commitments watching NI in France, so our squad and signings were poor to say the least. Any weaknesses in our squad are the fault of Lennon.

And given we play 3 centre backs and a midfield 3, I doubt he's looking at wingers...unless of course he needs another winger to play up front instead of Cummings :rolleyes:

We should win the league, playing some pretty poor football, but that's got plenty to do with the mess inheritated at Tannadice by a guy who I would have preferred over Lennon.I wanted Cathro over Lennon too.

I hope he wins the league, get's a job offer elsewhere and he takes it. I just don't want him to be the manager of the football team I follow round Scotland.

I agree with everything you say apart from the Cathro appt, like most I had never heard of him. With the quality of player we have we should never have dropped the points we have so far, irrespective of dodgy red cards. And his handling of Jason for a so called experienced manager is abysmal

Thecat23
06-12-2016, 01:37 PM
I agree with everything you say apart from the Cathro appt, like most I had never heard of him. With the quality of player we have we should never have dropped the points we have so far, irrespective of dodgy red cards. And his handling of Jason for a so called experienced manager is abysmal

Serious question, how's his handling of Jason been abysmal? Do you know something or just assuming?

JimBHibees
06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Serious question, how's his handling of Jason been abysmal? Do you know something or just assuming?

Agree dont think it has been abysmal obviously wasnt happy about him and decided a run on the bench was the answer and kind of proven given Boyle's recent goalscoring form. Up to Jason to win his place back and personally thought he looked sharper at the weekend and will start on Saturday IMO.

southfieldhibby
06-12-2016, 02:05 PM
I think abysmal is probably too string, but it should be questioned. JC has pretty much scored 50 in 100 games for Hibs, would command a bigger fee than Boyle and is a centre forward. No doubt Boyle hit a run of scoring form that made the choice hard for Lennon, but if all things are equal, Boyle will be benched this weekend for JC.

heretoday
06-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Is Lennon the right man?

Only time will tell.

cabbageandribs1875
06-12-2016, 02:11 PM
i wonder how much peterborough would be willing to pay for cummings now

RIP Bestie
06-12-2016, 05:30 PM

This

RIP Bestie
06-12-2016, 05:34 PM
😂😂

That's a belter!!

Why?

Thecat23
06-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Why?

Well if you'd like to expand on why you think he's a failure I'll then tell you why I think it's some statement to make.

RIP Bestie
06-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Well if you'd like to expand on why you think he's a failure I'll then tell you why I think it's some statement to make.

Ive already done so on the Craig and Dempster thread and I'm not going to repeat myself for you.
Quite simply, I never wanted him anywhere near my club and have seen absolutely nothing from him to change my mind.

Ronniekirk
06-12-2016, 05:54 PM
It clearly was coming and it happened But can they keep it going and how will we respond to that defeat
I dont expect to get beat or draw with Dumbarton so we should stay top imo
Think by the end of January we will have a better idea if they have sustained the challenge and by then we will be boosted by having Mcginn back which will be like a new signing to join the other quaity players we will bring in

Ronniekirk
06-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Ive already done so on the Craig and Dempster thread and I'm not going to repeat myself for you.
Quite simply, I never wanted him anywhere near my club and have seen absolutely nothing from him to change my mind.

If we go into free fall again on the back of that defeat you may have a case But i dont expext that to happen We will be battling it out with them over december and into January Thats when we will see the True worth of Lennon
Cummings to go on a Festive Goal Blitz

noz
06-12-2016, 06:22 PM

Interesting you only mention the negative things here. You obviously dont like him but what about masterminding a victory over Barca in th CL? Something Brendan Rodgers didnt manage.
He did win the title 2011-12 when The Rangers were still there.
Bolton didnt go well but it was a gamble.
He hasnt always played 5 at the back, and only played a holding mf as we were struggling with injuries on Friday.
I agree the signings havent been great but I see the need for a big CF in this league. I dont care what our footballs like, I just want us promoted.
I was happy with the appointment as I think he will take us up. Lets hope it happens.

cmcd
06-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Interesting you only mention the negative things here. You obviously dont like him but what about masterminding a victory over Barca in th CL? Something Brendan Rodgers didnt manage.
He did win the title 2011-12 when The Rangers were still there.
Bolton didnt go well but it was a gamble.
He hasnt always played 5 at the back, and only played a holding mf as we were struggling with injuries on Friday.
I agree the signings havent been great but I see the need for a big CF in this league. I dont care what our footballs like, I just want us promoted.
I was happy with the appointment as I think he will take us up. Lets hope it happens.

As has been said on many occasions NOTHING is won in December so let's just support the manager for now and if we don't win promotion then you can moan moan moan

Thecat23
06-12-2016, 07:38 PM

So you aren't happy we are top?

RIP Bestie
06-12-2016, 07:46 PM
So you aren't happy we are top?

Stupid nothing comment. I should have known better. That's you back on the ignore list. Cheerio

northstandhibby
06-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Stupid nothing comment. I should have known better. That's you back on the ignore list. Cheerio

:faf:

northstandhibby
06-12-2016, 07:56 PM

Why would you want a 30 year old no mark with no management experience over Lenny who has managed at the top level? And I don't care how many times he's played football manager on the playstation.

Seems an absolutely crazy idea.

Thecat23
06-12-2016, 08:06 PM
:faf:

You think it's something I've said 😂

Thecat23
06-12-2016, 08:08 PM

How's it stupid?

I asked you a question as you don't want Lennon here even though we are top. I'm just confused as you can't get better than being top can you?

southfieldhibby
06-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Why would you want a 30 year old no mark with no management experience over Lenny who has managed at the top level? And I don't care how many times he's played football manager on the playstation.

Seems an absolutely crazy idea.

I like taking a slightly less obvious route. Like Mowbray or Stubbs. I fully admit I don't have any time for Lennon, or his brand of football so I'm aware my opinion is clearly tainted, but I would have preferred Cathro. And given how the first four months of lennons stint has gone, I doubt Cathro would have been any less meh, but without the baggage of being a total welt.

JimBHibees
06-12-2016, 09:02 PM
I like taking a slightly less obvious route. Like Mowbray or Stubbs. I fully admit I don't have any time for Lennon, or his brand of football so I'm aware my opinion is clearly tainted, but I would have preferred Cathro. And given how the first four months of lennons stint has gone, I doubt Cathro would have been any less meh, but without the baggage of being a total welt.

Wow sounds a bit personal. Actually think he carries himself well given the complete hatred he has had to put up with.

flash
06-12-2016, 09:06 PM

A touch of class.

Baldy Foghorn
06-12-2016, 09:17 PM

:rolleyes:

RIP Bestie
06-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Wow sounds a bit personal. Actually think he carries himself well given the complete hatred he has had to put up with.

Don't think it comes across as personal at all. I think it sums Lennon's persona perfectly
when he was in charge of them. Much the same as Warburton is with their neighbours.

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 06:07 AM

If you can't be personal about the man charged with managing your football team, you might as well give up.

And not once have I ever claimed to have any class.

MacGruber
07-12-2016, 07:39 AM
How's it stupid?

I asked you a question as you don't want Lennon here even though we are top. I'm just confused as you can't get better than being top can you?

I have every respect for you as a poster here... but...

I don't want Lennon either and see us going backwards - that's on about everything, signings, style of play, team spirit, feel good factor, formations, team selection etc. We are also going backwards with results.

You can get better than top by goal difference - we could have clear water and some breathing space. If Lennon had been doing a good job with the players, budget and resources we have compared to the rest then we would be top out on our own.

Dundee Utd have reeled in an 8 point gap so comments about us being top could well be short lived.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope Lennon is a success too as we all do.

JimBHibees
07-12-2016, 08:01 AM
If you can't be personal about the man charged with managing your football team, you might as well give up.

Yep you confirmed the lack of class with the welt comment. Lets see where we go seems like a few people just waiting on us to lose a game to then pile in pretty much based on their opinion that they didnt like the guy anyway. Bottom line is we are still top and have also been done over more than once by refs, lets wait and see how United get on when they get guys undeservedly sent off in the first half of games. Not sure I see the style of play as being hugely different from when Stubbs was here still try and pass the ball through midfield however also have a more obvious target up front when under pressure. Last season we kept getting the criticism we are one dimensional well we can battle and also play which hopefully we can prove over the rest of the season.

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Yep you confirmed the lack of class with the welt comment. Lets see where we go seems like a few people just waiting on us to lose a game to then pile in pretty much based on their opinion that they didnt like the guy anyway. Bottom line is we are still top and have also been done over more than once by refs, lets wait and see how United get on when they get guys undeservedly sent off in the first half of games. Not sure I see the style of play as being hugely different from when Stubbs was here still try and pass the ball through midfield however also have a more obvious target up front when under pressure. Last season we kept getting the criticism we are one dimensional well we can battle and also play which hopefully we can prove over the rest of the season.

To be clear, I think we'll win the league and I never want us to lose a game. I go home and away, never boo a Hibs player and hope Lennon wins the league and retains the SC. Then promptly gtf.

Thecat23
07-12-2016, 08:14 AM
I have every respect for you as a poster here... but...

I don't want Lennon either and see us going backwards - that's on about everything, signings, style of play, team spirit, feel good factor, formations, team selection etc. We are also going backwards with results.

You can get better than top by goal difference - we could have clear water and some breathing space. If Lennon had been doing a good job with the players, budget and resources we have compared to the rest then we would be top out on our own.

Dundee Utd have reeled in an 8 point gap so comments about us being top could well be short lived.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope Lennon is a success too as we all do.

There is many things we could pick about any manager and I myself have been baffled by his selections or subs at times. Having key players out hasn't helped us but we should still be strong enough to stay top.

I think come Jan we will see what he has in his locker with the signings we get. I feel under Lennon we will win this league and it won't be as close as many think. Only time will tell though.

flash
07-12-2016, 08:16 AM

Most people tend to be personal when attacking the manager of other teams rather than theirs but it's a free country.

oneone73
07-12-2016, 08:29 AM
To be clear, I think we'll win the league and I never want us to lose a game. I go home and away, never boo a Hibs player and hope Lennon wins the league and retains the SC. Then promptly gtf.

Kind of where I am!

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Most people tend to be personal when attacking the manager of other teams rather than theirs but it's a free country.

I've not really got that personal though have I? I called him a welt, said I don't like him. That's pretty tame stuff. Hardly a significant attack, but the general mood on here is of outrage at any deviation from unquestioning loyalty to the guy, which is a wee bit strange if you ask me.

He's a divisive character, always has been since i mind him playing for Leicester. Some totally undeserved, some welcomed.imo.

flash
07-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I think the mood on here is more one of sticking together at a difficult time.

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2016, 08:44 AM
I've not really got that personal though have I? I called him a welt, said I don't like him. That's pretty tame stuff. Hardly a significant attack, but the general mood on here is of outrage at any deviation from unquestioning loyalty to the guy, which is a wee bit strange if you ask me.

He's a divisive character, always has been since i mind him playing for Leicester. Some totally undeserved, some welcomed.imo.

He wasn't well liked by many when at Celtic, but now he is manager of HIBS, it's time to let it go, and stop petty name calling.

NL has impressed me with his honesty and openness and was very passionate and articulate at the AGM.

Let's see where we are in a couple of months without sticking knives in just yet eh?

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2016, 08:45 AM

Indeed :agree:

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Difficult time? We should be shooshing this league. Any difficulties have arose from the actions of NL.

He wasn't well liked by many when at Celtic, but now he is manager of HIBS, it's time to let it go, and stop petty name calling.

NL has impressed me with his honesty and openness and was very passionate and articulate at the AGM.

Let's see where we are in a couple of months without sticking knives in just yet eh?

I'm not sticking the knife in either. I'm just offering an opinion that veers from the unified chorus generally seen on here. I've said he'll get us promoted, he's making hard work of it, but he should have just about deep enough pockets in January to get a couple of players in to be a wee bit better than a totally dysfunctional Dundee Utd.

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Difficult time? We should be shooshing this league. Any difficulties have arose from the actions of NL.

I'm not sticking the knife in either. I'm just offering an opinion that veers from the unified chorus generally seen on here. I've said he'll get us promoted, he's making hard work of it, but he should have just about deep enough pockets in January to get a couple of players in to be a wee bit better than a totally dysfunctional Dundee Utd.

Get promoted then GTF you said? Why not let him remain as gaffer in SPL?

marinello59
07-12-2016, 08:54 AM

I don't think you are offering an opinion that varies greatly from a significant numberr of posters on here regarding performance, myself included so let's not pretend otherwise. I do think we will win this league after strengthening in the transfer window but we have huffed and puffed a bit so far.
Calling a serving Hibs manager a welt though? The man deserves a bit more respect than that.

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 08:57 AM
Get promoted then GTF you said? Why not let him remain as gaffer in SPL?

Because I'm fairly consistent. I didn't like him as a player at Celtc, I didn't like him as manager of Celtc, I didn't want him to get the job as Hibs manager, so I'd like him to succeed in getting us promoted then kindly bolt.

I don't like his brand of football either. Three centre back, two full backs ( they are full backs ) and a holding midfielder with a big lump up front is not my idea of football. So it's personality and style.

The idea he's looking to buy wingers means he's going to alter the entire structure of the team set up too. Something I can't see him doing.

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Calling a serving Hibs manager a welt though? The man deserves a bit more respect than that.

Surprised at the reaction to me calling him a welt. If I had used knob would that have been less offensive?

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Because I'm fairly consistent. I didn't like him as a player at Celtc, I didn't like him as manager of Celtc, I didn't want him to get the job as Hibs manager, so I'd like him to succeed in getting us promoted then kindly bolt.

I don't like his brand of football either. Three centre back, two full backs ( they are full backs ) and a holding midfielder with a big lump up front is not my idea of football. So it's personality and style.

The idea he's looking to buy wingers means he's going to alter the entire structure of the team set up too. Something I can't see him doing.

Cheers for explaining. I like him, and would like him to stay on as long as he wants to be here and we are successful. Not all will agree, football all about opinions

Super_JMcGinn
07-12-2016, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Baldy Foghorn;4874178]Cheers for explaining. I like him, and would like him to stay on as long as he wants to be here and we are successful. Not all will agree, football all about opinions[/QUOTE

Both on and off the park as a player and a manager I disliked him intensely. Against my wishes he is now manager of our great club and for that reason alone of course I wish him well.

But I too would like to see him gone when the job is done.

Super_JMcGinn
07-12-2016, 10:04 AM

He berated him publicly for missed chances in a game we ultimately won, why not pull him aside privately and have a word ?
Jason has gone from an arrogant little so and so with a strut who was scoring a lot of goals, to making the odd cameo appearance from the bench, whilst others like Boyle miss numerous chances and are still starting.

He persuaded Jason to stay did he not ? Flying him over to the Euros while he was a pundit.

BTW Those chances he missed I think were against Dumbarton were nothing like as easy as the howlers Boyle missed against QOS.

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Surely if we get promoted NL deserves to lead us in SPL?

bingo70
07-12-2016, 10:17 AM
He berated him publicly for missed chances in a game we ultimately won, why not pull him aside privately and have a word ?
Jason has gone from an arrogant little so and so with a strut who was scoring a lot of goals, to making the odd cameo appearance from the bench, whilst others like Boyle miss numerous chances and are still starting.

He persuaded Jason to stay did he not ? Flying him over to the Euros while he was a pundit.

BTW Those chances he missed I think were against Dumbarton were nothing like as easy as the howlers Boyle missed against QOS.

I think Boyle gets more leeway as Lennon probably feels he's making the most of his abilities while he maybe thinks Cummings attitude is holding him back.

matty_f
07-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Surely if we get promoted NL deserves to lead us in SPL?

You'd think that was a given, eh?

Mikey09
07-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Surprised at the reaction to me calling him a welt. If I had used knob would that have been less offensive?

Christ all mighty.... You're embarrassing yourself.

Baldy Foghorn
07-12-2016, 10:30 AM
You'd think that was a given, eh?

Apparently not Matty:rolleyes:

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Christ all mighty.... You're embarrassing yourself.

Wouldn't be the first time, but I'm surprised at the mass afrontery to calling Lennon a welt.

Mikey09
07-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Wouldn't be the first time, but I'm surprised at the mass afrontery to calling Lennon a welt.

You're surprised? You call the Hibs manager a welt and are surprised some people call you out over it on a Hibs forum? I'll say it again... Jesus Christ almighty!

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 11:00 AM
You're surprised? You call the Hibs manager a welt and are surprised some people call you out over it on a Hibs forum? I'll say it again... Jesus Christ almighty!

Maybe I shouldn't be. I'll leave your echo chamber.

Thecat23
07-12-2016, 11:03 AM

There was actually more to it than him missing chances and if you watch his recent interviews he has been praising Jason's attitude since being dropped.

marinello59
07-12-2016, 01:18 PM

If you are surprised then you will never understand why some of us think calling a serving Hibs manager a name like that on a Hibs supporters forum strikes a bit of a bum note. If a fan of an opposing team came on here and did that the calls for them to be binned would be deafening.
You've made several comments suggesting you arer getting a hard time merely because you are expressing a different opinion. That's simply not true. As I've already said plenty share your concerns on here including myself.

JohnMcM
07-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Are some parts of this thread for real:confused:

The guy is likely getting us promoted, has a potentially great start to us retaining the SC, has probably had a huge part in lifting the gate numbers and surely, surely, hasn't done anything to get nothing but our support for him, the team and the club.

:flag:

ancient hibee
07-12-2016, 05:09 PM

Takes one to know one my old mum always said.

RIP Bestie
07-12-2016, 05:28 PM
The question posed by the OP was "Neil Lennon, is he the answer".
People have come on here and given their opinion on that. Whether others like or dislike those opinions is irrelevant. Whether others agree or disagree with those comment is also irrelevant.
We will win the league because, quite simply we should win the league. That is not being blaze but any manner of means but because we have better players and better resources than any other team in the league.
That should be the minimal expected of any Hibs manager at this time whether it is Lennon or AN Other.
Maybe the question posed by the OP is incomplete?
I have personally taken it as is He the man to take this club forward?
From what I have seen from him in terms of his signings, his style, his style of play and his constant "when I was at Celtic" and "we" and "us" comments when commentating on them, means that as far as I am concerned he can go whenever he wants. I won't miss him in any way, shape or form and I really don't think the club would suffer with his departure, but with the correct appointment, we could very well prosper.

southfieldhibby
07-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Takes one to know one my old mum always said.

Well done your old mum. Wise beyond her banter.

where'stheslope
07-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Neil Lennon did a great job at Celtic with a lot of money to bring in some expensive players.
Now here at Hibs, he has to try and find players outwith the bracket he was looking at at Celtic.
This transfer window will show us if he has the makings of a Hibs manager, with a good scouting fraternity, as we don't have money to burn but we do need to win this League this year!!!!

cmcd
07-12-2016, 07:46 PM
The question posed by the OP was "Neil Lennon, is he the answer".
People have come on here and given their opinion on that. Whether others like or dislike those opinions is irrelevant. Whether others agree or disagree with those comment is also irrelevant.
We will win the league because, quite simply we should win the league. That is not being blaze but any manner of means but because we have better players and better resources than any other team in the league.
That should be the minimal expected of any Hibs manager at this time whether it is Lennon or AN Other.
Maybe the question posed by the OP is incomplete?
I have personally taken it as is He the man to take this club forward?
From what I have seen from him in terms of his signings, his style, his style of play and his constant "when I was at Celtic" and "we" and "us" comments when commentating on them, means that as far as I am concerned he can go whenever he wants. I won't miss him in any way, shape or form and I really don't think the club would suffer with his departure, but with the correct appointment, we could very well prosper.
Great to see all the fans supporting the manager

Mr White
07-12-2016, 08:50 PM
What the???? Gail is now Sir David Gray? Also i don't think the forum has any use for any chat about religion and irishness. Keep that kind of stuff to yourself please.

The poster SirDavidofGray used to have the username Gail. Not to be confused with Sir David Gray or St David Gray.

Brightside
07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
The poster SirDavidofGray used to have the username Gail. Not to be confused with Sir David Gray or St David Gray.

We need to knock that on the head then... Can't imagine why he would want to change his name from Gail! :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
07-12-2016, 09:00 PM
We need to knock that on the head then... Can't imagine why he would want to change his name from Gail! :greengrin

Wonder if he still hates Paul Hanlon after the name change

07-12-2016, 09:32 PM

I might change my username to be honest. I can understand the confusion with my knighted namesake. He is definitely not "Gail" incidentally.

RIP Bestie
07-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Great to see all the fans supporting the manager

If I had seen anything from him that was worth supporting you can bet I would do it.
I never wanted him here, I don't think he is a good manager, I don't get the hype about him and he has done nothing to change my mind on that. Rather he has strengthened my feelings against him because of what I have mentioned previously. It's my opinion, which I was asked for.

Jonnyboy
07-12-2016, 09:42 PM
I might change my username to be honest. I can understand the confusion with my knighted namesake. He is definitely not "Gail" incidentally.

There's Sir David Gray who is absolutely not Gail and then there's Sir David of Gray, who apparently is

I think we need to call in Paul Hanlon to confirm :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2016, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=SirDavidofGray;4874190]

Wouldn't expect anything else from a Sevco supporter who hides under the Sir David Gray name after changing it recently from Gail.

Your anti Irish and Catholic hate is embarrassing.

False :wink:

Mr White
07-12-2016, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=Canon Hannan;4874621]

False :wink:

True actually. It's not hard to check in the previous usernames section of any users profile.

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2016, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=cabbageandribs1875;4874661]

True actually. It's not hard to check in the previous usernames section of any users profile.

must be swapping names about then, i'm sure I saw them in the same room recently :greengrin

cmcd
07-12-2016, 09:51 PM
If I had seen anything from him that was worth supporting you can bet I would do it.
I never wanted him here, I don't think he is a good manager, I don't get the hype about him and he has done nothing to change my mind on that. Rather he has strengthened my feelings against him because of what I have mentioned previously. It's my opinion, which I was asked for.
Opinions

Mr White
07-12-2016, 09:52 PM
must be swapping names about then, i'm sure I saw them in the same room recently :greengrin

Quotes stay the same after a username change. As said above there are currently 3 variant names of sir/ st david gray.

basehibby
08-12-2016, 01:01 AM

He's our manager and most of us want to get right behind him and give him every chance - and for me, watching Lennon close up so to speak I think he's handled himself very well, coming across as a thoughtful and passionate football man. So for me so it's you that's acting the welt with the name calling - consider yourself weltelt :na na:

Dashing Bob S
08-12-2016, 02:06 AM
He's our manager and most of us want to get right behind him and give him every chance - and for me, watching Lennon close up so to speak I think he's handled himself very well, coming across as a thoughtful and passionate football man. So for me so it's you that's acting the welt with the name calling - consider yourself weltelt :na na:

Too right. Not enough supporters are taking up his message that love is the answer, and you know that, you know you that for sure, love is the answer, you gotta let it, you gotta let it flow...

Swedish hibee
08-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Why is everyone going crazy at folk who don't like our manager?!!
Hell no, this forum has become nasty twitter.

You don't have to like everyone involved at Hibs! There's many a player over the years that I didn't like..Players, managers come & go, some you love, some you don't.
Simple really...

southfieldhibby
08-12-2016, 06:40 AM

I'm seriously not phased about being called names, but my memory goes a wee bit further back than July of this year, when his behaviour was less than thoughtful when I saw him at celtc park or ER.

Mr White
08-12-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm seriously not phased about being called names, but my memory goes a wee bit further back than July of this year, when his behaviour was less than thoughtful when I saw him at celtc park or ER.

I can understand where you're coming from. There's no requirement to like the man I suppose. Let's just hope he gets the job done and we go up as champions :aok:

Smartie
08-12-2016, 07:49 AM
I really didn't like him when he was at Celtic but I find a lot of the criticism of Lennon on this thread baffling.

I like him - the way he talks, the way he comes across as a pundit, he seems passionate and thoughtful.

He seemed to me to be very passionate about the job early on and seemed eager to get started, but tbf to Lennon I think even he underestimated the work that needed to be done with us. We had a miserable second half to the league season last season and we'd lost some of our better players. His good start probably papered over a few cracks that we all knew were there.

At times I think he's felt the pressure - this is a big job in the context of his career, he cannot afford to fail any more than we can afford to fail this season so the pressure's certainly on him and at times I think it has shown.

I definitely don't get any sense that he's disinterested, and whenever we appoint someone with Celtic links like he has, he cannot help but get asked a lot about Celtic in the media - I'm happy for him to show courtesy to the media and his former club by sparing a few minutes to answer some questions on them. It doesn't distract him from what he has to do with us in any way.

The "welt" comment is totally unnecessary imo. We have had welts as manager before and may do again in the future - they may even be successful and I won't mind - but I think it's totally wide of the mark and probably says a lot more about the poster than about Lennon.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Does this mean the username Gail is free now? :wink:

Brightside
08-12-2016, 08:22 AM

Im very tempted.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Just don't spell it Gael. People will infer things and there will be a terrible stooshie.

J-C
08-12-2016, 09:48 AM
So SirDavidofGray is not Sir David Gray but was the Hanlon hater Gail who we thought was a female but now might actually be a bloke considering the new username.

Also, why would you want to change tour username to one that is already being used albeit without the spaces :confused:

flash
08-12-2016, 09:55 AM
The plot thickens.

JimBHibees
08-12-2016, 10:24 AM
I really didn't like him when he was at Celtic but I find a lot of the criticism of Lennon on this thread baffling.

I like him - the way he talks, the way he comes across as a pundit, he seems passionate and thoughtful.

He seemed to me to be very passionate about the job early on and seemed eager to get started, but tbf to Lennon I think even he underestimated the work that needed to be done with us. We had a miserable second half to the league season last season and we'd lost some of our better players. His good start probably papered over a few cracks that we all knew were there.

At times I think he's felt the pressure - this is a big job in the context of his career, he cannot afford to fail any more than we can afford to fail this season so the pressure's certainly on him and at times I think it has shown.

I definitely don't get any sense that he's disinterested, and whenever we appoint someone with Celtic links like he has, he cannot help but get asked a lot about Celtic in the media - I'm happy for him to show courtesy to the media and his former club by sparing a few minutes to answer some questions on them. It doesn't distract him from what he has to do with us in any way.

The "welt" comment is totally unnecessary imo. We have had welts as manager before and may do again in the future - they may even be successful and I won't mind - but I think it's totally wide of the mark and probably says a lot more about the poster than about Lennon.

Couldnt agree more.

Super_JMcGinn
08-12-2016, 10:30 AM
So SirDavidofGray is not Sir David Gray but was the Hanlon hater Gail who we thought was a female but now might actually be a bloke considering the new username.

Also, why would you want to change tour username to one that is already being used albeit without the spaces :confused:

I wanted to change it for reasons I have stated before, I am entitled to my opinion without being called out on a daily basis by the likes of you.
I actually find a lot of what you post drivel but I don't bang on about it. I suggest you put me on ignore or move on.

HNA4
08-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Can we keep this on topic please. Thanks.

J-C
08-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I wanted to change it for reasons I have stated before, I am entitled to my opinion without being called out on a daily basis by the likes of you.
I actually find a lot of what you post drivel but I don't bang on about it. I suggest you put me on ignore or move on.

I and many many others on here call you out because you have a hatred for Hanlon and you post some utter keek, I won't put you on ignore because I do enjoy a laugh now and then.

On topic, I was happy to have Lennon at 1st but at the moment his football isn't all that good to watch and I'm still to be convinced he's as good as we'd hoped.

BS44
10-12-2016, 10:50 PM
After watching today I'm not sure he is.

HappyAsHellas
10-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Would Stubbs have won today with the players available today? Maybe Lennons doing alright.

Thecat23
11-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Would Stubbs have won today with the players available today? Maybe Lennons doing alright.

I think he would yes.

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 12:34 AM
Cant believe anyone would ask that, ffs even Calderwood and Butcher would have won today, Dumbarton are *****, they are a non league side and a poor one at that? :rolleyes:

green day
11-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Cant believe anyone would ask that, ffs even Calderwood and Butcher would have won today, Dumbarton are *****, they are a non league side and a poor one at that? :rolleyes:

Dundee Utd only beat them 2-1 a few weeks ago, following a 1-0 loss at Dumbarton earlier in the season.

They are keech, but also have their moments.

Pete
11-12-2016, 07:14 AM

Were they really any worse than the previous Dumbarton teams that we've faced and struggled against over the last few years?

Hard to judge but I don't think so.

Super_JMcGinn
11-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Were they really any worse than the previous Dumbarton teams that we've faced and struggled against over the last few years?

Hard to judge but I don't think so.

Dumbarton were very well organised and in the first half especially pressed us up the park, they're not as poor as some are making out and certainly no worse than previous Dumbarton teams we've struggled against.

I still think we should be beating them comfortably though, which thankfully in the end we did.

They'll certainly pose other teams problems.

Borderhibbie76
11-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Dumbarton are not as bad as some are making out on this thread - as another poster said look at their results v D Utd. However it was poor stuff today, turgid which a lot of football under lennon has been this season. I will accept it tho if it gets us out this league this season as we tried the pretty stuff under Stubbsy and tho it was great to watch at times - it wasn't effective in this division. My worry is the formation and players used today eg 3 centre halves plus Bartley at home to Dumbarton

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Greenworld
11-12-2016, 09:21 AM
The football or lack of it is eyebleeding .
The only thing you can say is we are set up firstly not to get beat and that is never going to be pretty to watch.
Shinnie was OK in deep positions but for me flatters to deceive.
Thought Stevenson offered nothing today on the left all in all garbish to watch but a win.
Crowds will dwindle if that's what we are to get.
Could not believe how many left straight after the second goal

blackpoolhibs
11-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Dundee Utd only beat them 2-1 a few weeks ago, following a 1-0 loss at Dumbarton earlier in the season.

They are keech, but also have their moments.

And Bonnyrigg rose beat them too, they must have their moments too i suppose. I cant quite get my head around just how many excuses i see banded about when we just beat some very poor sides, and even lose games like last week.

Even after last weeks game, folk were going on about how bad Dundee Utd were and how unlucky we were. We just give excuse after excuse, and there is a theme running through here that things will just get better and we will go on and win this league when we get our injured players back and strengthen in January.

I'm not convinced we will win this league, certainly not as much as i did at the start of the season. Maybe i'm just fed up with all these promises i read on here, we will win one of these games to make the top 6, we will win one of these games that will get us out the relegation places. We will win against Hamilton, we will win against sevco in the play off game, and of course we will definitely beat Falkirk.

I think we are too casual here, i'm genuinely worried about the decline in standard we are getting on a regular occurrence on matchday.

We really can't afford to not get up this season, winning the cup was the best day of my life bar none, but watching that pish yesterday really brings home just how far we have dropped over the last few seasons, and if that is what we have to endure again next season how many will return for it?

This will be labeled a bed wetting post, i dont care. Maybe those who are seeing things different can tell me why they are so confident.

HappyAsHellas
11-12-2016, 09:43 AM

I asked it because how well did we do against them over the last two seasons with the same defenders?

Smartie
11-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Dumbarton are not as bad as some are making out on this thread - as another poster said look at their results v D Utd. However it was poor stuff today, turgid which a lot of football under lennon has been this season. I will accept it tho if it gets us out this league this season as we tried the pretty stuff under Stubbsy and tho it was great to watch at times - it wasn't effective in this division. My worry is the formation and players used today eg 3 centre halves plus Bartley at home to Dumbarton

I'm trying to cling to positives as I know it was poor yesterday, but I think Lennon looked at who we had available, who we were missing and put out a team to do a job.

If you've got players like Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch fully fit you play through the midfield. If you've got players like Brian Graham, a shortage of midfielders and centre-halves who are a threat at corners you take a direct, percentages approach.

Lennon won't have won over many doubters yesterday but he got 3 points without some of our biggest players. I personally prefer to be picking the bones of yesterday's win, rather than patting ourselves on the back for the pretty passing having dropped points.

This isn't something I would normally want of Hibs or a Hibs manager but this year is different. We MUST get up, and whatever it takes to get us up is fine in my book. The pretty football can come back again later.

Borderhibbie76
11-12-2016, 10:37 AM
And Bonnyrigg rose beat them too, they must have their moments too i suppose. I cant quite get my head around just how many excuses i see banded about when we just beat some very poor sides, and even lose games like last week.

Even after last weeks game, folk were going on about how bad Dundee Utd were and how unlucky we were. We just give excuse after excuse, and there is a theme running through here that things will just get better and we will go on and win this league when we get our injured players back and strengthen in January.

I'm not convinced we will win this league, certainly not as much as i did at the start of the season. Maybe i'm just fed up with all these promises i read on here, we will win one of these games to make the top 6, we will win one of these games that will get us out the relegation places. We will win against Hamilton, we will win against sevco in the play off game, and of course we will definitely beat Falkirk.

I think we are too casual here, i'm genuinely worried about the decline in standard we are getting on a regular occurrence on matchday.

We really can't afford to not get up this season, winning the cup was the best day of my life bar none, but watching that pish yesterday really brings home just how far we have dropped over the last few seasons, and if that is what we have to endure again next season how many will return for it?

This will be labeled a bed wetting post, i dont care. Maybe those who are seeing things different can tell me why they are so confident.
Your post is way OTT some fans of all clubs will make excuses when their team gets beat...and whether you want to believe it or not we were unlucky to lose at Tannadice last week against a pretty poor Utd side. I agree with u yesterday was utter crap but 3 pts and we move on. We are fairly depleted at the moment, any team in the land outwith Celtic would miss the likes of Mcginn and Fyvie and when u add in Keats and an unfit Dylan that's a whole lot of creativity taken out the side. We need to grind out results till Jan anyway possible till some of the injured return and we hopefully strengthen. Personally I see nothing that worries me from Utd...they got lucky last Friday and I'm certain they will drop points - more than we will. Let's try and be positive here...we haven't been that impressive this season BUT we are still top

Borderhibbie76
11-12-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to cling to positives as I know it was poor yesterday, but I think Lennon looked at who we had available, who we were missing and put out a team to do a job.

If you've got players like Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch fully fit you play through the midfield. If you've got players like Brian Graham, a shortage of midfielders and centre-halves who are a threat at corners you take a direct, percentages approach.

Lennon won't have won over many doubters yesterday but he got 3 points without some of our biggest players. I personally prefer to be picking the bones of yesterday's win, rather than patting ourselves on the back for the pretty passing having dropped points.

This isn't something I would normally want of Hibs or a Hibs manager but this year is different. We MUST get up, and whatever it takes to get us up is fine in my book. The pretty football can come back again later.
I agree with you 100% mate and just posted something similar on another thread in reply to a poster moaning about the performances. Any team in the land outwith Celtic would miss the likes of fyvie and Mcginn...and when u add in Keats and an unfit Dylan that's a whole midfield of creativity missing. Personally I wouldn't have picked Bartley yesterday and would have gone with Scott Martin - I just hope lennon has a plan for next week as that team from yesterday would struggle I think in Greenock

Big L
11-12-2016, 10:35 PM

I like the 3-5-2 but it works better if your wing backs are attackers who can also defend, ours are defenders who are not very good attackers, if you know what I mean!

Hibernia&Alba
11-12-2016, 11:21 PM
I still think we'll win the league, but know full well the ramifications if we don't. Lennon knows it's all or nothing this season: if we don't make it, I don't think he'll want another year in the Championship, meaning we'll be starting over yet again. The pressure is very much on: we simply must achieve promotion this season.

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2016, 11:28 PM
I expect more from us than I've seen in our last two games. I do think we'll win this league, but we really need to start performing and stamping some kind of authority on it.

RIP Bestie
12-12-2016, 12:43 AM

i don't often agree with you but that's beside the point.
You care and you have obviously watched some very good and very poor Hibs teams over the years. As have I.
It's not good enough to struggle against teams like Dumbarton. We should be putting them away easily. Yes it's tough to break teams down when they are well organised and play 10 men behind the ball and hit you on the break but we seem to have the same problem week after week after week.
I'm with you on this, too many of our fans are looking for excuses for us not winning games convincingly or putting games to bed when we should have.
It seems we have learned **** all in the 3 years we have been in this league. Both ?Hearts and Rangers made sure they never gave teams a chance to come back at them once they got their noses in front, we have never done that in this league. There is no excuse for that, not against teams like this. **** sake, what's our ambitions when we do eventually go up?
Look at Rangers and Hearts. They have gone up and they are talking about second or third place being their aim. Rangers obviously, thinking that they could gave actually challenged Celtic for the title. Hearts finished third last year, Rangers sitting in second at the moment and look good to finish in the top 4.
i could probably bet that the majority of the Hibs fans will be delighted if, presuming we go up this time, we consolidate our place in the premiership next season. Avoiding 11th and 12 place. The ring lies the problem. We have grown to accept *****.
i don't want to agree with you with everything so I have to say that I think we will win the league. Even under Lennon. But I think that, if we have any ambition, we should be looking to make big changes next season.

RIP Bestie
12-12-2016, 12:54 AM
Your post is way OTT some fans of all clubs will make excuses when their team gets beat...and whether you want to believe it or not we were unlucky to lose at Tannadice last week against a pretty poor Utd side. I agree with u yesterday was utter crap but 3 pts and we move on. We are fairly depleted at the moment, any team in the land outwith Celtic would miss the likes of Mcginn and Fyvie and when u add in Keats and an unfit Dylan that's a whole lot of creativity taken out the side. We need to grind out results till Jan anyway possible till some of the injured return and we hopefully strengthen. Personally I see nothing that worries me from Utd...they got lucky last Friday and I'm certain they will drop points - more than we will. Let's try and be positive here...we haven't been that impressive this season BUT we are still top

The bit in bold is the point that is being made in my opinion.
Why is it acceptable to be unlucky to lose against a pretty poor side?

MacGruber
12-12-2016, 06:00 AM
i don't often agree with you but that's beside the point.
You care and you have obviously watched some very good and very poor Hibs teams over the years. As have I.
It's not good enough to struggle against teams like Dumbarton. We should be putting them away easily. Yes it's tough to break teams down when they are well organised and play 10 men behind the ball and hit you on the break but we seem to have the same problem week after week after week.
I'm with you on this, too many of our fans are looking for excuses for us not winning games convincingly or putting games to bed when we should have.
It seems we have learned **** all in the 3 years we have been in this league. Both ?Hearts and Rangers made sure they never gave teams a chance to come back at them once they got their noses in front, we have never done that in this league. There is no excuse for that, not against teams like this. **** sake, what's our ambitions when we do eventually go up?
Look at Rangers and Hearts. They have gone up and they are talking about second or third place being their aim. Rangers obviously, thinking that they could gave actually challenged Celtic for the title. Hearts finished third last year, Rangers sitting in second at the moment and look good to finish in the top 4.
i could probably bet that the majority of the Hibs fans will be delighted if, presuming we go up this time, we consolidate our place in the premiership next season. Avoiding 11th and 12 place. The ring lies the problem. We have grown to accept *****.
i don't want to agree with you with everything so I have to say that I think we will win the league. Even under Lennon. But I think that, if we have any ambition, we should be looking to make big changes next season.

The groundswell last year was we would be top 6 under Stubbs the way he had us playing and in the games against the premier teams inparticular. Played 8 or 9 in the cups and lost 1 (that we were the better team against in the LC final)

Now, under Lennon, it looks to me if we went up we would struggle to stay up. He's taken this team backwards. To not be well clear by now is poor, our hand was so much stronger than DUs at the start of the season.

One of the worrying things for me about the notion of 'as long as we get to Jan to strenghen' is Lennon's signings aren't convincing. Some of the targets worry me too (not the paper talk, confirmed interest like Heskey, Pennant etc)

Yes we lost good players. These were players Stubbs brought in - after he in turn lost good players. That's part of the job.
We lost El Alagui, brought in Malonga. Lost Malonga, brought in Stokes. Lost Scott Allan, brought in McGinn and Henderson.

Bringing in Holt and Graham over a summer where strikers and wingers were priority to me is poor. That's at Lennons door. Hope he gets it right in Jan.

hibs0666
12-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Hibs won comfortably. What's the problem?

MacGruber
12-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Hibs won comfortably. What's the problem?

There was a problem last week when we lost. To our rival for the title. Dumbarton wont be in the running. Falkirk might be. Drew with them at home with a man extra. We were 8 points clear earlier, playing DU at home for 11. We are now ahead by goals. IMO theres a problem.

JimBHibees
12-12-2016, 06:39 AM

Cant really disagree with that especially in regard to the Dumbarton game thought it was very poor and didnt understand basically having 4 defensive players in the midfield 4. Dylan had to start IMO as our play immediately improved when he came on just by playing things quicker and him controlling the tempo of the game. Bartley has his uses however in games in this league only really a small percentage of games. Before we scored from the corner at the end of the first half we had one attempt on goal that simply isnt good enough.

hibs0666
12-12-2016, 06:42 AM
There was a problem last week when we lost. To our rival for the title. Dumbarton wont be in the running. Falkirk might be. Drew with them at home with a man extra. We were 8 points clear earlier, playing DU at home for 11. We are now ahead by goals. IMO theres a problem.

We're top of the league. It's all about handling the pressure now. That includes the support.

SunshineOnLeith
12-12-2016, 09:04 PM
I asked it because how well did we do against them over the last two seasons with the same defenders?

We played Dumbarton at home twice last season and scored 8 goals, conceding twice.

HappyAsHellas
12-12-2016, 09:55 PM
We played Dumbarton at home twice last season and scored 8 goals, conceding twice.

So we're worse in attack but better in defence - at home, how did we do at their patch?

pedroorange1875
12-12-2016, 10:13 PM

Spot on, woeful previous record, which indicated that Stubbs probably would not have won despite what some say

jacomo
12-12-2016, 10:33 PM

Well ok then :wink:

SunshineOnLeith
13-12-2016, 07:28 AM
So we're worse in attack but better in defence - at home, how did we do at their patch?

I'll take a 4-0 and a 4-2 over grinding out wins at home.

There's no question our away form was poor last season but at Easter Road we were, contrary to accepted Hibs.net logic these days, quite comfortably putting teams away most of the time.

Greenworld
18-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Well another week and more questions than answers.
I'm starting to struggle to see what Lennon is trying to achieve.
We have become a deffencive team a lost all our flair.
Fans are getting impatient as we are watching dross football.
Unless there are another few hibs profile players ( who make a difference) i worry
For us .

JimboHibs
23-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Are people seriously questioning if he's the man to take us up after only 6 months in charge? :rolleyes:

2.5 years later and some are still questioning if he's the right man for the job ?

Hi Heid Yin
23-12-2018, 05:39 PM
2.5 years later and some are still questioning if he's the right man for the job ?

For me, Neil Lennon is still the man for the Easter Road job.

Why?

He took us up as "comfortable" Champions of the Scottish Championship.

He then guided us to 4th place and a European slot in our 1st season back in the top league - playing some of the best "football" any of us have ever witnessed in the 2nd half of last season.

He then was faced with losing the most "creative and influential and, yes, strongest midfield in the SPL" and tasked with rebuilding it - a mammoth and thankless ask of any manager - however brilliant

That task is ongoing as we are witnessing "bitty" performances - with some good and some poor.

Despite such a huge loss and a dismal recent run he has kept us on the tails of our main rivals and within touching distance of the top 4 (7 points behind Killie as I type).

Yes, it has been a frustrating half season ( and I stress, half season) but we have a further half season to go, and we saw how he guided us in that magnificent 2nd half of last season.

Neil Lennon is a "winner" and a hard-task-master - not unlike Eddie Turnbull.

He will not tolerate slackers and players who pick and choose which games they want to turn up in.

It is now December 23rd 2018 and I for one am confident that we have one of the best managers in the whole of Scottish football at our helm.

wookie70
23-12-2018, 05:52 PM
He did a decent job in his first season when we were by far the biggest team in the league and were on the back of a Scottish Cup win. He had a decent first half of the season when back up in the top league with those Cup Winners and a few more mediocre signings. He then got another Stubbs signing back and picked up another two good strikers, who he is now critical of, and had an excellent 6 months in the league. We continued to be poor in the Cup.

He started this year and the Cup Winners were now in a minority in the team. This will be the year he should be judged on as it is now his team and he has been backed far more than recent managers. We have been slightly worse than decent with the very occasional better performance thrown in.

He is a decent manager in my opinion with a decent record at Hibs. Up until recently I would have said he was a good motivator but tactically poor. Not sure about his motivational abilities given this season and perhaps I thought that because he managed players who were highly motivated. Decent he may be overall but he is poor in terms of the transfer market. Overall he was a 6/10 manager when he came in imo and I would say he is a 6/10 manager now. We could do better and we could do worse but he isn't doing badly enough for us to think about a change at the moment. We may have to consider it if we continue to struggle, fail to get in the top 6 and fail to look like we are playing for the jersey. At some point blaming everyone apart from yourself will wear thin.

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2018, 04:54 AM
I used to think yes definately but now think no!

flash
24-12-2018, 06:20 AM
We had one above average season last year where we finished 4th. Before Lennon arrived we were failing to get out of the second tier.
This season we are having a normal season for Hibs having lost our entire midfield in the summer- the best midfield in the country bar Celtic.
Yes we have had some poor performances this season. On the plus side we have lost once at home in the last calendar year.
Things could be better but you don't have to look far back at all to see things could be a hell of a lot worse too.
January is almost here and I reckon we will look significantly better after the transfer window same as last year.
If by the end of the season we have not picked up then I expect the manager won't need to be told it's not good enough.
Christ knows what some of you must have been like when we actually were pish.

JimBHibees
24-12-2018, 06:47 AM
We had one above average season last year where we finished 4th. Before Lennon arrived we were failing to get out of the second tier.
This season we are having a normal season for Hibs having lost our entire midfield in the summer- the best midfield in the country bar Celtic.
Yes we have had some poor performances this season. On the plus side we have lost once at home in the last calendar year.
Things could be better but you don't have to look far back at all to see things could be a hell of a lot worse too.
January is almost here and I reckon we will look significantly better after the transfer window same as last year.
If by the end of the season we have not picked up then I expect the manager won't need to be told it's not good enough.
Christ knows what some of you must have been like when we actually were pish.

Cant argue with that. :agree:

The Harp Awakes
24-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Neil's record with Hibs is good compared to other Managers we've had. However, on the back of the Cup win there's been a resurgence at the Club with attendances at the highest for decades. The board have supported him pretty well with player funds.

This season so far has not been good enough and Summer recruitment has not been great. I also find his team selection baffling at times although admittedly looking in from the outside we never know the situation with players and injuries etc.

This transfer window is big for Hibs and Neil and he simply has to recruit better if we want to build on last season. I still think he is a very good Manager and happy he's with us but the next 4 months will be a testing period.

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Neil's record with Hibs is good compared to other Managers we've had. However, on the back of the Cup win there's been a resurgence at the Club with attendances at the highest for decades. The board have supported him pretty well with player funds.

This season so far has not been good enough and Summer recruitment has not been great. I also find his team selection baffling at times although admittedly looking in from the outside we never know the situation with players and injuries etc.

This transfer window is big for Hibs and Neil and he simply has to recruit better if we want to build on last season. I still think he is a very good Manager and happy he's with us but the next 4 months will be a testing period.

Agree

No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors

Next four months will be make or break for Lenny

neil7908
24-12-2018, 07:38 AM
He definitely needs more time but I must admit I'm losing faith. January transfer window is going to be massive for him.

The results have been an issue but more than that off field stuff has got me concerned.

We're hearing that Kamberi isn't working hard enough and his commitment is being questioned. But it's Lennon who has twice now publicly stated he was questioning his position. What would the reaction have been if Kamberi (or indeed any other player) had said that?

I thought it was odd that he stopped media duties and although not in itself a massive issue, didn't help when results were poor and you want to hear from the leader.

The chopping and changing of his team on a weekly basis strikes me as coming from a manager that doesn't know his best line up or formation and/or doesn't trust his players. And this is Neil Lennon's team now so he can't hide from any deficiencies in the squad - they are now almost all his signings.

The line up versus Killie and comments afterwards also really worried me - we put out a Levien type team and basically decided to play for a draw. Against Killie. Similarly every game at Tynecastle I go in hoping to see us put a tough but attacking team out. And every game I'm disappointed (for a 'born winner' his record is shocking there).

Finally, his treatment of Kamberi has been very, very poor. A lot of pro Lennon posters demanding we unquestionably back the manager whilst apparently being OK with throwing one of our best players under the bus in public, with some even wanting rid in January. But to question Lennon is apparently a no no.

Despite all the above he needs more time. And at the games he'll get my support. But I don't think he'll be around come the start of the next season.

I'll happily come back on here and eat humble pie if I'm wrong.

Keith_M
24-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Sorry but.... what was the question?

danhibees1875
24-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Sorry but.... what was the question?

Who is Hibs' manager?

superfurryhibby
24-12-2018, 08:34 AM
He definitely needs more time but I must admit I'm losing faith. January transfer window is going to be massive for him.

The results have been an issue but more than that off field stuff has got me concerned.

We're hearing that Kamberi isn't working hard enough and his commitment is being questioned. But it's Lennon who has twice now publicly stated he was questioning his position. What would the reaction have been if Kamberi (or indeed any other player) had said that?

I thought it was odd that he stopped media duties and although not in itself a massive issue, didn't help when results were poor and you want to hear from the leader.

The chopping and changing of his team on a weekly basis strikes me as coming from a manager that doesn't know his best line up or formation and/or doesn't trust his players. And this is Neil Lennon's team now so he can't hide from any deficiencies in the squad - they are now almost all his signings.

The line up versus Killie and comments afterwards also really worried me - we put out a Levien type team and basically decided to play for a draw. Against Killie. Similarly every game at Tynecastle I go in hoping to see us put a tough but attacking team out. And every game I'm disappointed (for a 'born winner' his record is shocking there).

Finally, his treatment of Kamberi has been very, very poor. Anda lot of pro Lennon posters demanding we unquestionably back the manager whilst apparently being OK with throwing one of our best players under the bus in public, with some even wanting rid in January. But to question Lennon is apparently a no no.

Despite all the above he needs more time. And at the games he'll get my support. But I don't think he'll be around come the start of the next season.

I'll happily come back on here and eat humble pie if I'm wrong.

Agree with much of what you say, but there hasn’t been anyone posting that we support the manager unequivocally. People have objected to wild speculation about body language, mental health, losing the dressing room, working his ticket etc, etc.

There is a small, but very persistent minority on here who can’t stomach Lennon, for reasons I could speculate wildly on myself- but won’t, and are desperate to see him out. Most folk see them for what they are and some get quite defensive about it, but no one suggests he is untouchable.

I support the manager, but share quite a few of the concerns voiced. One of the things that has really disappointed me is his avoidance of responsibility for poor tactics and team selections, whilst dishing it out to certain players.

Not good enough from Lennon and a sign that he has run out of ideas.

He has shown some boldness in the transfer window before. It worries me just now that there may be some surprising moves forthcoming. In the current circumstances our board need to ensure that everything is done in Hibs best interest and not to suit the manager having a final throw of the dice.