PDA

View Full Version : 5 Defenders

macca70
03-12-2016, 01:34 AM
No wonder we have the best defensive record in Britain!!

We are in a league that we are better than but feel the need to play 5 defenders, absolutely baffling!!

I have started numerous threads in the past about the importance of attacking/creative full/wings backs.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2016, 01:39 AM

We are in a league that we are better than but feel the need to play 5 defenders, absolutely baffling!!

I have started numerous threads in the past about the importance of attacking/creative full/wings backs.

I made it 7 with Mcgeogh and Bartley in there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macca70
03-12-2016, 01:47 AM
It's a joke, Tavernier and Wallace were brilliant in this league flying forward, we need wing backs like them, Stevenson and Gray are a waste of space going forward

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2016, 02:07 AM
Scored 4 goals 2 weeks ago with 5 defenders, isnt their fault. Our worst run this season was playing 4 at the back.

Gmack7
03-12-2016, 06:51 AM
Add I'm the keeper and big Marvin and that's where near offensive enough,

murray26
03-12-2016, 06:57 AM
I think it's becoming far to predictable.. not against at times but we need a bit variety.. Dumbarton at home next week.. surely a wee change..

brog
03-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Scored 4 goals 2 weeks ago with 5 defenders, isnt their fault. Our worst run this season was playing 4 at the back.

We scored 4 against a team who conceded 9 in their previous 2 home games & got humped out the cup by Albion R this week. We do not need 3 centre backs at home against teams who sit in.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2016, 08:21 AM
We scored 4 against a team who conceded 9 in their previous 2 home games & got humped out the cup by Albion R this week. We do not need 3 centre backs at home against teams who sit in.

If we had wingers, 3 at the back would actually work well but with Stevenson and gray it become 5 at the back and then last night we have Bartley and Mcgeough sitting right in front of the 3. It was a very bad set up and that's down to Lennon.

eastcoasthibby
03-12-2016, 08:25 AM
The difference from the QOS game was midfield Bartley is a defender and McGeoch coming back from injury being left to be the ball player in there, when we have for weeks had 2,ball players in SJM & FF ..loosing 70% % of that part of your attacking game is a big loss and makes a huge difference ! Though have to say our wing backs,dint have enough quality when they get into the last third of the pitch.
Get Boyle told to play as a winger and get on with it son , that s where the team needs you to play doesn't matter if you like it or not adjust and develop yourself ! That's where you can do a lot if damage ! If you don't like the job role ...we will look for someone that wants the job ..we have all had to adjust to changes in jobs or new ...he has the pace, can beat players, will get chances to get in for goal attempts, can create chances for others and will give defenders a hard time...left wing back can be Boyles position !! Changing our 5,Defenders to a bit more like 4 ..pegging back other teams right backs ..just my thoughts

judas
03-12-2016, 08:35 AM

Hi Macca. You are absolutely spot on. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning of the season. The ratio of defensive players in our team is bonkers for a team looking to win this league. Hanlon, Fontaine, Mcgregor, gray, Stevenson, Bartley FFS. Our wing backs are more defenders than they will ever be attackers. When you add the lack of mobility that holt provides and the poor link up play offered by Cummings, we've got a very benign set up.

I would always preach fiscal conservatism, but I'm afraid Hibs need to invest seriously in the Jan window, we need proper attacking options.

number9dream
03-12-2016, 09:50 AM
At home to Dumbarton next week is the perfect time to be a bit bolder with team selection but who are the alternatives to Gray and Stevenson out wide?
We got one good cross last night when Shinnie almost scored from a low fizzer from Gray.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2016, 09:54 AM
At home to Dumbarton next week is the perfect time to be a bit bolder with team selection but who are the alternatives to Gray and Stevenson out wide?
We got one good cross last night when Shinnie almost scored from a low fizzer from Gray.

Gray and Stevenson should play but in a 4. Use Boyle wide with Cummings and another forward up top

biotech
03-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Given our injury situation and lack of options in the squad . There is little alternative, to back 5, until the January window.

Gmack7
03-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Watching the Chelsea game and victor moses who has played as a winger most of his career is playing great as a wing back, maybe use Boyle and keatings there, we have to get more attack minded players on the park in this ****ty league

Shrekko
03-12-2016, 04:30 PM
To be fair Fontaine plays like an attacking midfielder. Not a good one unfortunately.

Heisenberg
03-12-2016, 04:36 PM
To be fair Fontaine plays like an attacking midfielder. Not a good one unfortunately.

He's useless with the ball. Gives it away most of the time while trying to play as a midfielder. The 3-5-2 works for us but didn't last night because our midfield two of Bartley and McGeough offered absolutely nothing.

Bishop Hibee
03-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Wing backs need to be big athletic guys who can get up and down the pitch and have a goal threat as well as being able to defend.. Laurson and Lovell were great examples of that in the team which had Fenwick, Sauzee and Smith as a back 3. Gray and particularly Stevenson aren't capable of it.

Smartie
03-12-2016, 04:41 PM
3-5-2 suits us well when we've got everyone available.

We've been playing well and scoring enough goals with it prior to last night and away to one of the best teams in our league it wasn't unreasonable to persist with it.

If we had different personnel, in an ideal world it isn't the way I think we should be playing in this league, but we are where we are and have who we have.

Unseen work
03-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Personally I don't think it's down to injuries.

We need wing backs that can attack. Both we have are good defender.

But the role they're being asked to play, they aren't good enough at it.

We need faster players and better quality on the ball in those areas.

Gray, and Stevenson especially find them self in brilliant positions only to pass it back to fyvie

Zazu62
03-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Personally I don't think it's down to injuries.

We need wing backs that can attack. Both we have are good defender.

But the role they're being asked to play, they aren't good enough at it.

We need faster players and better quality on the ball in those areas.

Gray, and Stevenson especially find them self in brilliant positions only to pass it back to fyvie

In a nutshell. They are not wingbacks, Stevenson actually has zero goal threat compare that to lee Wallace last season in this league

AND An E
03-12-2016, 05:15 PM
No wonder we have the best defensive record in Britain!! And people post this on the likes of Twitter and the Hibs fans groups Facebook as if it's some kind of achievement in this league :rolleyes:

Arch Stanton
03-12-2016, 05:23 PM
It's certainly been a big surprise just how cautious NL has been (Hanlon at LB ffs!) but let's face it, his job isn't to win the league at a canter - a guaranteed league win is the top and bottom of it. And that's a different proposition altogether.

When Hibs are going hell for leather for a win then we are there for the taking - just soak up the pressure and then hit us with a sucker punch.

We didn't lose yesterday because of the formation - injuries and lacklustre preformances caused that.

I'm also pretty sure NL could have been less cautious and splashed out more cash in the summer transfer window but it's probably been more sensible holding some back for now - it's not as if expensive players come with a guarantee of delivering.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2016, 05:48 PM
I have no idea why Lee Wallace and Tavernier are the comparisons. Why compare Lewis and Gray to (statistically) the best fullbacks to ever play in this league by miles and miles? If you compare them to Paterson and Eckersley that won the league with more points they look just fine. Lewis even saw off Eckersley when he was here. You don't need Dani Alves at fullback to win this league, you need solid hard working players who don't lose goals and let the forwards do their job. It is the forwards that failed last night.

cammy1969
03-12-2016, 05:49 PM
If we had wingers, 3 at the back would actually work well but with Stevenson and gray it become 5 at the back and then last night we have Bartley and Mcgeough sitting right in front of the 3. It was a very bad set up and that's down to Lennon.

Have agree with u 100% am all for 3 at back but the wing backs have to be forward players, not wanting to get in to a bash thr fullbacks thread but they're not up to playing this formation in my opinion. But even in a 442 our midfield play to narrow to allow FBI to push up and it doesn't work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wills
03-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Don't care what formation we play as long as we win. The main problem yesterday was the quality of ball into the box from wing backs, how many corners and free kicks didn't get passed the first man or even in the air. Week in week out its the same it's a joke