PDA

View Full Version : Sick & Tired !

et vireta
03-12-2016, 12:11 AM
As a guy who has watched Hibs since the 60's lets be clear on a few things.........

I don't want anyone else telling me how great Lewis Stevenson is........He is very very average bordering on poor
I am now going to move on from defence.........The Paul Hanlons of this world wouldnt get a game for the reserves when Sloop was playing !

We have too many people playing for Hibs who are not Hibs class ! Have a look at the guy who took the penalty !! If he is a Hibs player then I am a monkeys uncle

Problem with a lot of people who come on here are a bit frightened to tell the truth....we are watching garbage !!

Until we grab the thorn.......Mr Lennon you said earlier in the season something about under performances not being accepted........what about tonight ?

As an older guy.......this Hibs team are utter Mince

No apologies for saying this

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 12:13 AM
As a guy who has watched Hibs since the 60's lets be clear on a few things.........

I don't want anyone else telling me how great Lewis Stevenson is........He is very very average bordering on poor
I am now going to move on from defence.........The Paul Hanlons of this world wouldnt get a game for the reserves when Sloop was playing !

We have too many people playing for Hibs who are not Hibs class ! Have a look at the guy who took the penalty !! If he is a Hibs player then I am a monkeys uncle

Problem with a lot of people who come on here are a bit frightened to tell the truth....we are watching garbage !!

Until we grab the thorn.......Mr Lennon you said earlier in the season something about under performances not being accepted........what about tonight ?

Missed a pen they didn't. I don't think the second half we were that bad and didn't think we deserved to lose the game. But that's just me!

IWasThere2016
03-12-2016, 12:23 AM
I don't like to single out players - we win/lose as a team.. but the OP is correct we were watching dross tonight.

That was unacceptable and too many are not good enough.

et vireta
03-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Missed a pen they didn't. I don't think the second half we were that bad and didn't think we deserved to lose the game. But that's just me!

Sorry to say this......we were terrible.....and then we got a wee get out of jail card. Problem was the guy who stepped up to take it.....got a wee bit cult following.....call me getting aulder but this guy aint an Arthur Duncan.

This is the problem...too many people think these guys are good

They are not.

And the longer people come on here singing their praises..........longer we will no longer be at the top table.

Hibs are playing players who are not Hibs class

Sorry

HappyAsHellas
03-12-2016, 12:38 AM
How many penalties did you see Arthur Duncan take?

EH54
03-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Harsh on 'that guy' he's played well recently although I wouldn't have him taking the penalty and as much as I don't think stevenson is our best player and agree we could do better he's certainly not the reason we got beat tonight and he is more certainly Hibs class Heart on his sleeve leaves everything on the park...poor result tonight not a great performance but we need to keep going the team we have is well capable of winning this league IMO

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2016, 12:46 AM

You cant go comparing different eras mate. Sloop was indeed a good player, but I saw him make plenty cock ups as well. The teams he played for and against were better than the ones our current lot play for and against no doubt about it ..... but for all your Sloops, Arthur Duncans and even Pat Stantons .... players who I all admired by the way .... perhaps if Paul Hanlon is feeling nice he will show them his Scottish cup winners medal.

et vireta
03-12-2016, 12:51 AM
How many penalties did you see Arthur Duncan take?

None And you know why ? In Turnbulls team the Blackleys of this world would have told him to get to Falkirk !

Get real......Arthur Duncan had a purpose.....he was so good at that purpose that I watched him play for Scotland at Wembley 1975 (went on Carlton Branch)

Boyle ?.....behave yourself

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 12:54 AM
How many penalties did you see Arthur Duncan take?you beat me there. Arthur scored a winner in the Scottish cup final though . I was there! Hibernian 2 Rangers 3

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 12:58 AM
None And you know why ? In Turnbulls team the Blackleys of this world would have told him to get to Falkirk !

Get real......Arthur Duncan had a purpose.....he was so good at that purpose that I watched him play for Scotland at Wembley 1975 (went on Carlton Branch)

Boyle ?.....behave yourselfI was also at that classic in 75. we got well f/ckd 5-1. not a score I like to register btw

Greencore
The team needs investment bottom line and it will all come down to lennons signings.

et vireta
You cant go comparing different eras mate. Sloop was indeed a good player, but I saw him make plenty cock ups as well. The teams he played for and against were better than the ones our current lot play for and against no doubt about it ..... but for all your Sloops, Arthur Duncans and even Pat Stantons .... players who I all admired by the way .... perhaps if Paul Hanlon is feeling nice he will show them his Scottish cup winners medal.

And that my friend that is where the problems lie. In any other industry questions would be asked when an entity under performs........

Now think..I was at Elland Road 1973 and watched Hibs match and should have beat Leeds.......what has happened to us ?

Sorry to say it....too many people just accept it now.

The Hibs team of today are mince

But that doesnt mean we have to accept it

We have fallen and guys of my age know it

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 01:01 AM
Boyle was mince tonight, I agree. had a really bad shift, and I think big Holt should have been allowed to take his penalty. Boyle "won " it, but Holt has scored them

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2016, 01:02 AM
Im sometimes a little happy I wasnt alive for the tornados, helps me avoid posting deluded nonsense on here. This team won the Scottish cup, I'll forgive them the odd bad game.

et vireta
03-12-2016, 01:12 AM
Im sometimes a little happy I wasnt alive for the tornados, helps me avoid posting deluded nonsense on here. This team won the Scottish cup, I'll forgive them the odd bad game.

Right....I'm on my high horse the night.....

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story......I turned 60 in November.....the greatest day of my life 21st May Hampden with my wife and all my family ...standing outside Hampden..with a wee feeling we could beat them. Now.....when I talk about the Tornadoes I only mention them as something we should be striving for..........I was brought up with a dad who was a Famous Five fanatic.

Sorry ......but class never changes through the years...The cup winners willl go down as legends (rightly so) But as best Hibs players I have seen ? behave yersel

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 01:13 AM
And that my friend that is where the problems lie. In any other industry questions would be asked when an entity under performs........

Now think..I was at Elland Road 1973 and watched Hibs match and should have beat Leeds.......what has happened to us ?

We have fallen and guys of my age know itAgain, I was at Leeds, and I am with you on that. we SHOULD have pumped them as well as the fact that we should have beat them at ER. Where do you really think we can somehow regain those halcyon days? We are in the lower league, with a recently appointed manager who has not a lot of options as exposed Tonight with the loss of 2 key players from our engine room.Bartley had a bad day, Mc Geogh was a bit off the pace or tended to slip the ball too sidewards, Stevenson was hardworking as usual but his crossing is woeful . Handlon was a bit scary at times, but overall I don't think we deserved to lose..:confused:

marleyhib
03-12-2016, 01:15 AM
I don't think many of us think this is a good hibs team, then I've only seen two decent hibs teams since the late 70s when I started going. We won the Scottish cup least season with the bulk of this team and we were missing our two best middielders. Lennon plays Boyle as he's seen our lack of pace, he's not great but has his uses at this level. Poor game tonight, don't see the point in harking back to any good old days.

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 01:19 AM
Right....I'm on my high horse the night.....

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story......I turned 60 in November.....the greatest day of my life 21st May Hampden with my wife and all my family ...standing outside Hampden..with a wee feeling we could beat them. Now.....when I talk about the Tornadoes I only mention them as something we should be striving for..........I was brought up with a dad who was a Famous Five fanatic.

Sorry ......but class never changes through the years...The cup winners willl go down as legends (rightly so) But as best Hibs players I have seen ? behave yerselbe fair man, stop rippin' the pish from a guy who has jist telt ye that he was not alive to see the Tornadoes. he has witnessed Hibernian history though . let him savour that!! because I will.

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 01:20 AM
I don't think many of us think this is a good hibs team, then I've only seen two decent hibs teams since the late 70s when I started going. We won the Scottish cup least season with the bulk of this team and we were missing our two best middielders. Lennon plays Boyle as he's seen our lack of pace, he's not great but has his uses at this level. Poor game tonight, don't see the point in harking back to any good old days.:agree:

et vireta
03-12-2016, 01:26 AM
be fair man, stop rippin' the pish from a guy who has jist telt ye that he was not alive to see the Tornadoes. he has witnessed Hibernian history though . let him savour that!! because I will.

Sorry ! Apologies to everyone and no offence to fellow Hibbys...just so peeved tonight....don't mean to lash out and fellow Hibs fans,,,just angry that that that tonight was a game again for the taking. And see when I think back I can remember losing games at places like Shawfield that deprived us of a championship,

Sorry guys !

marleyhib
03-12-2016, 01:31 AM
I was there tonight, pretty effed off but didn't think we were as bad as many are making out,pen goes in and I think we win. Opportunity lost but it's all to play for, we have them at home in about 5 games time, onwards !

marleyhib
03-12-2016, 01:33 AM
And Lennon has to play Cummings and Boyle from the bench as an impact sub

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 01:34 AM
Sorry ! Apologies to everyone and no offence to fellow Hibbys...just so peeved tonight....don't mean to lash out and fellow Hibs fans,,,just angry that that that tonight was a game again for the taking. And see when I think back I can remember losing games at places like Shawfield that deprived us of a championship,

Sorry guys !best regards for your apologies, although I do feel your pain. still don't think we "deserved" to lose at Tannadice that wee scroat Flood, was given their match sponsor's MoM . imho he could have walked, for the amount of punches he aimed at big Holt.

monktonharp
03-12-2016, 01:35 AM
I was there tonight, pretty effed off but didn't think we were as bad as many are making out,pen goes in and I think we win. Opportunity lost but it's all to play for, we have them at home in about 5 games time, onwards !:agree: very much so

Billychaotic182
03-12-2016, 01:38 AM
Harsh, very harsh, we have the best defensive record in the U.K. And that's with Hanlon and Stevenson, both who unlike you're 70s teams won't the Scottish cup!!! Granted Lewis's crossing is pish at the moment doesn't make us a bad team, we are missing McGinn and Fyvie FFS!!!

HappyAsHellas
03-12-2016, 01:46 AM

Boyle ?.....behave yourself

Technically Arthur Duncan was probably the worst player in that team (I'm an old fart myself) and yes Mr Higgins missed an absolute sitter at Elland Road, none of which will make a bit of difference to the latest performance. But your reference to Boyle and me behaving myself? Perhaps you would be good enough to re quote my post mentioning him.

Steve20
03-12-2016, 01:56 AM
I was there tonight, pretty effed off but didn't think we were as bad as many are making out,pen goes in and I think we win. Opportunity lost but it's all to play for, we have them at home in about 5 games time, onwards !

We were abysmal. Having them in 5 weeks time isn't a good thing although by then, we'll already be trailing them as no way a team that plays dumplings like Holt and Boyle will beat Morton, Raith and Falkirk.

et vireta
03-12-2016, 02:10 AM
Technically Arthur Duncan was probably the worst player in that team (I'm an old fart myself) and yes Mr Higgins missed an absolute sitter at Elland Road, none of which will make a bit of difference to the latest performance. But your reference to Boyle and me behaving myself? Perhaps you would be good enough to re quote my post mentioning him.

Ok for the sake of clarity you are correct re Boyle you never mentioned him but you also know I used that as a throwaway line.....

However whether technically or not Arthur Duncan was NOT the worst player in that team. Further when Ned came calling in 1971 he felt that the great Eric Stevenson was perhaps surplus to requirements.
Nijinsky was signed by Willie McFarlane but utterly shined under the greatest tactician of them all ...Eddie Turnbull
And..surely you must remember Duncan at Hampden.......how technical do you have to be

Get oot on that big wide pitch and skin McGrain

And the man ,,,did he do it ? Aye ......

Pete
03-12-2016, 03:51 AM
We were abysmal. Having them in 5 weeks time isn't a good thing although by then, we'll already be trailing them as no way a team that plays dumplings like Holt and Boyle will beat Morton, Raith and Falkirk.

Here was me thinking that the Grinch was a fictional character.

northstandhibby
03-12-2016, 05:25 AM
you beat me there. Arthur scored a winner in the Scottish cup final though . I was there! Hibernian 2 Rangers 3

Me too. It was one of the best flying headed goals I've ever seen just unfortunately for us it was in the wrong goal :confused:.

Still Arthur was a fantastic player for us until then so forgave him :greengrin.

Crammond Hibee
03-12-2016, 05:37 AM
Boyle has been good since he came back into the team.He was poor tonight.Who wasn't .
Boyle was on the penalties as Holt had missed one.
Holt should never have started as Graham played well in the last game and scored and played well .
Holt is not a starter for me .

Hermit Crab
03-12-2016, 06:16 AM

"the guy" that took the penalty?? Yo mean martin boyle. Are you sure you're a Hibs fan?

eastcoasthibby
03-12-2016, 06:28 AM
It's inevitable that we compare players of different era's and indeed to different teams, the players getting slaughtered here are what they are and its what we have just now.
I think there are legitimate questions about Stevensins level of ability , but managers over the past 4-5,years at least seem to have been content with him as the regular LB ..the reality seems to be like so much is that other teams now know hiwcto play him both offensively and defensively and he is now a weak link in our team.
Hanlon is different his level of performance is usually very good, last night he got done by Murray dived in and made a poor challenge ! We applaud him as a defender and a couple of weeks ago a goalscorer !!
The one thing I think lacks across the board is the lack of consistency and work ethic, since we came down and even the season of relegation, I don't often enough, see every player busting a gut for the team and cause. Too many drift in and out of games, they appear to be switched off during games, they seem to think they are better than they are and dont seem to have that desire and commiitment,
"90 minutes of burst your backside effort" is what I expect,if you have a bad game it happens, but playing for the jersey anecdotes earn your wage ! Is what's demanded, memories of when we had good teams even going back to Brown, Thomson, Murphy, Riordan, etc as well as the Blackley, Edwards , Duncan teams they all seem to have had an across the team desire, commitment, will to win, character and attitude they worked and earned results, these days it's not evident that we have more than 6-7 in each game who have that in them, when we meet other teams they seem to have 8,9,10 up for it and burst their backsides for the cause ..some of our lot seem to think they need to turn up and play at 50-60 % if their ability , which takes their standard to the same or less than the other teams players ..hence we struggle to get the results we should be getting with the quality of player (on paper anyway) that we have.
So is the real comparison about attitude more than ability ???

hibsbollah
03-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Well done for using the expression 'I'm a monkeys uncle'. Far too underused these days, I'm going to use it myself today, thanks :aok:

sleeping giant
03-12-2016, 07:01 AM
I've never seen the Famous Five or the Tornadoes but I tell you what , I have seen the team that won the Scottish Cup.
And what a team performance it was.

"That guy"
Cmon now.

Mikey09
03-12-2016, 07:17 AM

No they're not.

And good for you.

Greenworld
03-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Well first half hibs were pish second half was nearly all hibs and did not deserve to loose that game.
We can get out of this leugue but we need to splash the cash on a couple of high class loans .not run of the mill players ,we need guys that not only make a difference themselves but raise the game of those around them.
If we don't I fear for this team and Neil Lennon will be finished as a manager

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

HappyHanlon
03-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Stop going to games then.

If we're utter mince then go play lawn bowls on a Saturday afternoon.

Btw, did Sloop ever win the Scottish Cup with the club?

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Anyone who has watched Hibs since the 60s has seen far worse squads than what we have right now at some point.

We've had literally hundreds of players who you wouldn't exactly call 'Hibs Class' play for us.

The current bunch are nowhere near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to poor teams.

In fact, the OP should probably be rejoicing at the fact that this team is way better than some of the dross he's had to endure through the decades.

Fond memories of Stanton, Auld and Blackley as manager aye??

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2016, 07:54 AM

LOL ..... Looking at one of your other posts you are only 4 years older than me.

You are comparing different teams and players from different eras and that doesn't hold water for me .... saying this Hibs team is mince in the context of the current Scottish game is hardly fair, they are a decent team, sometimes at full strength more than decent, when compared to most SPFL clubs ..... you can hardly blame them that they play in an era where Scotland just isn't producing players of a standard prevalent 30 or 40 years ago.

This reminds me of two arguments:

1) ..... The Tornadoes could play without a keeper and hump this current lot ..... aye maybe, but the great Tornadoes when pitted against their peers could only manage one League cup and when they did reach their only Scottish cup final they got annihilated. My point being that this Hibs team are probably making just as much of their ability in relation to what competition they face than the Tornadoes did, certainly in cup competitions. Hell, they were one naïve managerial decision ( IMO ) away from pulling off an unimaginable double.

2) .... Comparing any Hibs team from the modern era, including the Tornadoes, to the Famous Five .... Yes the FF team's record speaks for itself, no Hibs team since has come close to what they achieved, but in what decade since would a club the size of Hibs have been able to keep the bulk of such a team together long enough to win 2 league titles, never mind 3. I remember being annoyed at Lawrie Reilly a number of years back criticising Hibs for being unable to put a decent settled team together that could challenge for the league, during a time where any player putting in a half decent half season was being shuttled off to the dozens of clubs down south who were offering a decent transfer fee and 4 times the wages.

In fact never mind the FF, if Hibs churned out another Pat Stanton, John Blackley or Eric Schaedler now just how many first team games would they play for Hibs before they were off down south?

Keith_M
03-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Here was me thinking that the Grinch was a fictional character.

Steve has cancelled Christmas

:greengrin

PompeyHibs
03-12-2016, 08:08 AM

I agree mate. 3 years in a diddy league and we still can't take control. We don't score enough goals. Agree the standards have dropped. The cup win was brilliant which has given this current team an easy ride from the fans this season (Goodwill). We are playing in a poor league and we are now 50/50 with united to see who will win it.

Defo not good news

where'stheslope
03-12-2016, 08:15 AM
Said it on another thread, We need Hibs players not Loan players in the January window!
Loan players take the money and run regardless of the outcome!
Hibs players want to get out of this League to further their career, so for me its a no brainer!!!!!

lucky
03-12-2016, 08:23 AM

You post some crap on this forum and you've only been here two weeks. How can you compare sides or players from different decades? This Hibs side is playing in the second level of Scottish football but still delivered the Scottish cup. Sloops team delivered a league cup and played lovely football but won 1 trophy.

RoxburghHibs
03-12-2016, 08:23 AM
More important than all this player performance chat....

What is it with all the dots in mid sentence.........when did that become normal...........it's kinda catching however :wink::greengrin

Joe6-2
03-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Definitely this
But having said that, the whole of Scottish football has degenerated, it's awful, what's the answer to it?

shreevesy
03-12-2016, 09:00 AM

How many times has that been said since our time in the championship though? All those games "we didn't deserve to lose" we lost! And that's the problem we have, it seems it's acceptable to lose those games that we didn't deserve to lose. The number of posters saying if we scored the penalty it would be a different forum tonight blah blah completely lose the point that we lost the game but because we didn't deserve to lose it it's fine! We were poor last night irrespective of how good or bad the opposition were, we were poor. In my opinion that means we didn't deserve to win last night and we didn't. The "we didn't deserve to lose" mentality is very defeatist and it needs to change. The fact our manager uses the term worries me greatly.

northstandhibby
03-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Well done for using the expression 'I'm a monkeys uncle'. Far too underused these days, I'm going to use it myself today, thanks :aok:

First laugh out loud I've had since final whistle last night. Far too underused, might use it too today.

Colr
03-12-2016, 09:15 AM
I don't like to single out players - we win/lose as a team.. but the OP is correct we were watching dross tonight.

That was unacceptable and too many are not good enough.

...and dross in a lower division.

Canon Hannan
03-12-2016, 09:36 AM
As a Hibs fan in the 80's where we had 4000 hardcore supporters and a poor team I feel we are in a stronger position to progress. A few good signings and the return of our 2 main midfielders will help the cause. Keep the faith people.

et vireta
03-12-2016, 09:36 AM
You post some crap on this forum and you've only been here two weeks. How can you compare sides or players from different decades? This Hibs side is playing in the second level of Scottish football but still delivered the Scottish cup. Sloops team delivered a league cup and played lovely football but won 1 trophy.

Right will try and keep this simple.

Every person who has responded to my post I respect.

You are a different kettle of fish. Your comments are utterly disgusting.

Were you once only two weeks on this site ? You comment on my posts and call them crap.Thats your opinion.

You let yourself down son, your mouthing is that of a bully

And to finish off I will say this

What is wrong with setting a bench mark ?
Whats wrong with using the 1972 team as a bechmark

Whats wrong with aiming high ?

Baldy Foghorn
03-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Right will try and keep this simple.

Every person who has responded to my post I respect.

You are a different kettle of fish. Your comments are utterly disgusting.

Were you once only two weeks on this site ? You comment on my posts and call them crap.Thats your opinion.

You let yourself down son, your mouthing is that of a bully

And to finish off I will say this

What is wrong with setting a bench mark ?
Whats wrong with using the 1972 team as a bechmark

Whats wrong with aiming high ?

Nothing wrong with setting a benchmark, but comparing the current team to the tornadoes is pointless. We could compare them to the famous five team too, for older posters, but again pointless. Different eras, different cultures, different game.

PISTOL1875
03-12-2016, 10:15 AM

I'm with you on this one. Hanlon is never a CB in my book , people rattle on about how he's the saviour etc etc but if he was that good then he'd be playing at a higher level long before now.

Everyone loves Stevenson because he tries hard , gives 100% and loves the club but again , another average player who is just not good enough. He cannot deliver in The role he has in the team and its about time he was moved on.

jacomo
03-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm with you on this one. Hanlon is never a CB in my book , people rattle on about how he's the saviour etc etc but if he was that good then he'd be playing at a higher level long before now.

Everyone loves Stevenson because he tries hard , gives 100% and loves the club but again , another average player who is just not good enough. He cannot deliver in The role he has in the team and its about time he was moved on.

But this would mean only appreciating players who left us for a bigger club. That's nonsense.

In the context of where we are and Scottish football these days, Paul Hanlon is a more than decent CB.

Hiber-nation
03-12-2016, 01:38 PM

Despite the fact we've beaten them all already. You're barmy.

Brightside
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Old folk shouldnt be allowed on the internet.

Brightside
03-12-2016, 01:45 PM

What on earth did Hanlon do wrong last night?

bigwheel
03-12-2016, 01:47 PM

*shakes head in disbelief*

Lago

The game was summed up for me by 2 things, Boyles poor penalty attempt, no self belief on his part at all. Stevenson's free kick which didn't even clear the first defender.
Boyle is not a centre forward, awful first touch & Stevenson is not a wing back.

tamig

And I'm sorry to say you are living in the past. I would love to see the Tornadoes in their pomp again but that era has gone. Times have moved on and the game has changed.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Regarding Hanlon, there are multiple examples of players staying at clubs purely for love over financial or success. From what I heard, Hanlon had plenty offers over the summer to leave hibs but decided to stay at the club he loves. Much like Totti, Gerrard, Larsson, shearer. He is a more than decent centre back at any level of Scottish football.

In terms of where we're at right now,going by the OP logic, there are a ton of clubs that may as well give up as they're nowhere near the stature or performing how they were "back in the day" I hear this **** all the time fi my dad on many different sports.

It's boring and my response RE hibs is you may have grown up watching a great hibs team challenging but how many times did we win the league? The Scottish? Or any cup for that matter? In my lifetime we've won the League Cup twice, the Scottish Cup (once after 114 years) and the Scottish first division.

Pipe down ya old pricks haha

Hiber-nation
03-12-2016, 01:50 PM

It was his worst game for ages. Made several errors. And I'm usually defending him on here against bams like Gail!

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 02:01 PM

I'm a fan of Hanlon but last night wasn't a night to remember for him. He'll know that himself! Just look out of sorts at times which doesn't happen very often. But these things happen in football where players whether it's Hibs or Man U have games to forget and just need to put it behind them.

3pm
03-12-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm a fan of Hanlon but last night wasn't a night to remember for him. He'll know that himself! Just look out of sorts at times which doesn't happen very often. But these things happen in football where players whether it's Hibs or Man U have games to forget and just need to put it behind them.

Hanlon was decent last night.....up to the point he was skinned in the run up to the penalty.

Thecat23
03-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Hanlon was decent last night.....up to the point he was skinned in the run up to the penalty.

I just think when you compare recent performances he was defo below par.

hibs0666
03-12-2016, 04:36 PM

Except the team you are eulogising won hee haw.

Nicho87
03-12-2016, 04:47 PM
When you play the five in midfield with lewis and gray who cant cross between them it makes our gameplan difficult to say the least.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2016, 04:53 PM
When you play the five in midfield with lewis and gray who cant cross between them it makes our gameplan difficult to say the least.Our best chance came from a Gray cross.

Waxy
03-12-2016, 04:53 PM
After thinking about it i'd much rather just be happy with what we have just now when we've recently had the squads of 2012 and 2014.

Ray_
03-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Ok for the sake of clarity you are correct re Boyle you never mentioned him but you also know I used that as a throwaway line.....

However whether technically or not Arthur Duncan was NOT the worst player in that team. Further when Ned came calling in 1971 he felt that the great Eric Stevenson was perhaps surplus to requirements.
Nijinsky was signed by Willie McFarlane but utterly shined under the greatest tactician of them all ...Eddie Turnbull
And..surely you must remember Duncan at Hampden.......how technical do you have to be

Get oot on that big wide pitch and skin McGrain

And the man ,,,did he do it ? Aye ......

We are not living in those days anymore, the standard of Scottish football has really gone down the pan, just look around the streets, kids would be playing with a ball until all hours, it doesn't happen now and that will clearly have an impact with the quality available nowadays. Simple traits like passing 5 yards, dribbling past a player and even staying on your feet seemed beyond what was on show last night.

The Wembley game in 75 was a strange affair, apart from Kennedy letting every English shot go past him, Scotland matched England during the game and "our Arthur" was the best of our lot, as he was giving the English right back a torrid time, it was a travesty when Willie Ormond replaced him with Tommy Hutchinson.

As to Mr Boyle, to be honest and that is what he is, an honest player, no matter how much I like him as a person, I have never really believed he is at the standard which we should be at, this is likely to be why Dundee let him go in the first place.

He is by no means the worst player ever to pull on a hibs strip, but last nights performance by him, was probably the worst I've ever seen from anyone in a green shirt, just nothing at all went right for him, unfortunately.

The penalty decision though is something I totally don't understand, one iota and I don't blame him for it. Watching the one he took on the semi, it was absolutely special.

I then watched the DVD and he says that he knew he should make a decision and then stand by it, but as he walked up he kept on changing his mind, he then stated that he aimed to put it low to the left and it flow in the top of the net!!

He is the last person I would have chosen to be our penalty taker!! We can see by the chances that he misses, when he has time, he more often fluffs it and his better finishes is when it is instinct and he doesn't have the time to think.

We see he lacks composure in just about every game he plays and the manager picks him to take the spot kicks and says he was practicing them during the week, yeah great indication, when there's no pressure!!! WTF!

cabbageandribs1875
03-12-2016, 05:17 PM
i was reading the winners of the championship last season got £474,750, that's a heck of a lot to miss out on this season again

we got 337,600 for 3rd

Fanforlife
03-12-2016, 05:21 PM

Both myself and Monktonharp have seen all of which you speak of and probably more as we are both a tad older than you, however although I get the fact that you are pissed of I do think that deep down you know that Hibs being able to field a team of the quality of the Tornadoes are slim to none at best so perhaps better to realise this rather than daft comparisons.Definately not a happy clapper but pragmatic enough to understand this. First Hibs team I watched on going to games with mates and not my dad were nearly relegated in the early sixties, you probably remember this, however a short while later we were watching guys like Hamilton, Martin, Quinn, Mcnamee, Cormack all play under Stein and Imo that team could have won a league and Cup double if Stein had not jumped ship. So when Tornadoes first played together I would hazard a bet that there were plenty of Hibs fans making negative statements regarding them. Point of this is while the present day side cant be compared to either of the two mentioned they are, well most of them are Scottish Cup winners and even the Famous Five could not achieve this. GGTTH

JimBHibees
03-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Except the team you are eulogising won hee haw.

Won the league cup in 72 and 2 Dryborough cups plus we're competing with probably the strongest Celtic team ever. Also we're amazing in Europe.

cabbageandribs1875
03-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Won the league cup in 72 and 2 Dryborough cups plus we're competing with probably the strongest Celtic team ever. Also we're amazing in Europe.

:agree: if it wasn't for jock steins sellick we would have won a rake of trophys

Ozymandias
03-12-2016, 05:43 PM

I was at a rake of games in 73 as well, albeit probably a bit younger than you. While you're remembering the good games, I've just had a look to see what actually happened in that season. We finished 3rd, a distance behind der hun and a couple of points ahead of the sheep. Tell me, when you were there at the time, how did you feel about the the last seven games? We didn't win a single one, including a goalless draw with the red lichties of Arbroath at ER and the same away at Somerset? Were you apoplectic with the team then? Were they not fit to wear the shirt?

The problem with "fans" like you is that you like to be furious, drawing iconic games as proof of the greatness of all involved, and forgetting anything that doesn't suit your tinted reverie. One of my earliest football memories is of some fans booing Pat Stanton after losing to Dundee Utd. I'd lay odds that if you were there you'd be one of them.

RedHibby
03-12-2016, 05:46 PM
"Not Hibs Class". I would like to know what that means. I have been a Hibs fan for 50 years and seen some excellent players come and go. You can't compare era's is the first thing I would say. Hibs will never have a squad full of the quality of yesteryear because we don't have the financial clout to pay wages at the top level (unless a billionaire comes along). We have a development squad which is a complete waste of time because when we need a position filled because of injury the Manager would rather play someone out of position than give a youngster a chance.

I personally did not want Neil Lennon but he is the Manager. Over the last three seasons for me nothing has really changed and before the result las night I have been saying I can see the exact same thing happening this season. I know this would be disastrous for our club and I hope I am totally wrong.

The one thing I wont do which is a favourite in here is blame individual players wether they are good enough or not. I give my support to a Team not individual players. Rant over.

Ray_
03-12-2016, 06:06 PM
I was at a rake of games in 73 as well, albeit probably a bit younger than you. While you're remembering the good games, I've just had a look to see what actually happened in that season. We finished 3rd, a distance behind der hun and a couple of points ahead of the sheep. Tell me, when you were there at the time, how did you feel about the the last seven games? We didn't win a single one, including a goalless draw with the red lichties of Arbroath at ER and the same away at Somerset? Were you apoplectic with the team then? Were they not fit to wear the shirt?

The problem with "fans" like you is that you like to be furious, drawing iconic games as proof of the greatness of all involved, and forgetting anything that doesn't suit your tinted reverie. One of my earliest football memories is of some fans booing Pat Stanton after losing to Dundee Utd. I'd lay odds that if you were there you'd be one of them.

The last games you mentioned, our season was already over and ET was blooding young players like Des Bremner, Tony Higgins, Tony [?] Young and Bobby Smith and the final game that season was a 3-0 defeat at ER against Celtic, when the team was more akin to team what played yesterday evening than it was to the TT's, even although it was the end of the 72/73 season.

The biggest problem with the tornadoes was that it was a team and not a squad, when the injuries and suspensions took hold, the back up just wasn't there and the third finish was based on the performances up until the 8th of January 73.

Des Bremner for example, turned out to be a fine midfield player, however, his first game for Hibs came within a couple of months of signing for hibs from the highland league. He played at right back in place of the then recent leg brake victim, John Brownlie, who at the time was the UK's best full back. Sandy Jardine & Danny McGrain went on to have superb careers as Scottish fullbacks, JB didn't give them a sniff in the Scottish side before his injury.

You don't need tinted glasses to know last nights performance was a shocker and fans from all generations are expressing those very thoughts all over social media. Hopefully it was just a blip and we will do what rangers done to us last season, we beat them to draw level around this time of year and then they just pulled further and further away.

SlickShoes
03-12-2016, 06:44 PM
The hibs class thing is a bit of a joke now. Apart from winning the cup we have been watching dross since 2007, how have you only noticed now that it's not good enough?

It's getting better, it's taking time, the players we have are hibs class because they are all we have. We still haven't played great this season, I don't know why but the players we have are good enough to win this league and that's all that matters. If we stumble to the title so be it, we need promoted at all costs, hoofball or playing like barca I couldn't care.

Hope the team can move on and keep winning rather than listen to pish like this.

JimBHibees
03-12-2016, 06:47 PM
The last games you mentioned, our season was already over and ET was blooding young players like Des Bremner, Tony Higgins, Tony [?] Young and Bobby Smith and the final game that season was a 3-0 defeat at ER against Celtic, when the team was more akin to team what played yesterday evening than it was to the TT's, even although it was the end of the 72/73 season.

The biggest problem with the tornadoes was that it was a team and not a squad, when the injuries and suspensions took hold, the back up just wasn't there and the third finish was based on the performances up until the 8th of January 73.

Des Bremner for example, turned out to be a fine midfield player, however, his first game for Hibs came within a couple of months of signing for hibs from the highland league. He played at right back in place of the then recent leg brake victim, John Brownlie, who at the time was the UK's best full back. Sandy Jardine & Danny McGrain went on to have superb careers as Scottish fullbacks, JB didn't give them a sniff in the Scottish side before his injury.

You don't need tinted glasses to know last nights performance was a shocker and fans from all generations are expressing those very thoughts all over social media. Hopefully it was just a blip and we will do what rangers done to us last season, we beat them to draw level around this time of year and then they just pulled further and further away.

Clearly wasn't great but never a shocker in a million years

Hiber-nation
03-12-2016, 06:55 PM

Correct. I wasn't happy with the performance but it was away to our nearest rivals, we had our best 2 midfielders out and we should have won. Not anywhere near a shocker. But still not good enough.

Hi Heid Yin
03-12-2016, 07:18 PM
After thinking about it i'd much rather just be happy with what we have just now when we've recently had the squads of 2012 and 2014.

Stevenson was an integral part of those dire squads and the one that took us down.

northstandhibby
03-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Stevenson was an integral part of those dire squads and the one that took us down.

Lewis is also a double cup medal holder of both Scottish and League cups. Not many players can lay claim to that.

Waxy
03-12-2016, 07:27 PM

A few players are exempt. Stevenson and LG straight off.

Ray_
03-12-2016, 08:38 PM

All about opinions and in terms of where we should be and the importance of the game, my opinion is that it was a dreadful team performance. United were very poor and any decent team, playing well, would have hammered them, which we may well do next month.

Our full backs hit the first man all night, the three central defenders were made to look like school kids for their penalty. Big Marv never got to grip of the conditions and couldn't keep his feet or balance, Dylan was invisible, Holt never looked as though he would score and unfortunately squirrel, has to be the worst performance in my memory. On last night's display, Shinnie looked as though he was the only one who had been introduced to a football before, all IMHO of course.

Ozymandias
03-12-2016, 08:52 PM
All about opinions and in terms of where we should be and the importance of the game, my opinion is that it was a dreadful team performance. United were very poor and any decent team, playing well, would have hammered them, which we may well do next month.

Our full backs hit the first man all night, the three central defenders were made to look like school kids for their penalty. Big Marv never got to grip of the conditions and couldn't keep his feet or balance, Dylan was invisible, Holt never looked as though he would score and unfortunately squirrel, has to be the worst performance in my memory. On last night's display, Shinnie looked as though he was the only one who had been introduced to a football before, all IMHO of course.

Worst performance by Boyle or by anyone? If the latter you're early on the peeve or have a spectacularly short memory.

The performance wasn't great, but we missed a penalty and that changed the outcome. The knee jerking on here is astonishing. .

Big L
03-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Need to calm down! They would not have won if McGinn & Fyvie had played, their injuries were telling! Every time we get a negative result the Stevenson crap starts, if you played him as a midfielder or a LB in a flat back 4 you would get a decent performance, when we go to a three at the back, he's asked to play as a wing back and he doedn't have a wingers ability, good wing backs are hard to find and expensive. Name the last good wing back we had?

hibs0666
03-12-2016, 10:30 PM

Wow. Maybe that team didn't underachieve after all. :wink:

RedHibby
03-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Need to calm down! They would not have won if McGinn & Fyvie had played, their injuries were telling! Every time we get a negative result the Stevenson crap starts, if you played him as a midfielder or a LB in a flat back 4 you would get a decent performance, when we go to a three at the back, he's asked to play as a wing back and he doedn't have a wingers ability, good wing backs are hard to find and expensive. Name the last good wing back we had?

Ulrik Laursen played like a wing back. If I remember correctly McLeish brought him in on a free and we sold him to Celtic for 1.3m.

Nicho87
03-12-2016, 11:22 PM
McGeouch needs to dominate more, tony adreu was their danger man and apart from simon murray the only players i think would poss replace our starters from last night. Very over run in the middle. Fyvie loss is just as big as mcginns imo. Speedy recovery to the pair of them.

Stantons Angel
04-12-2016, 12:38 AM
So your sick tired and fed up with watching a MINCE Hibs team?
You were used to seeing the class emanated by Turnbulls Tornadoes of the 70's. You were at the 79 cup final, you were at Wembley watching Scotland be drubbed 5-1, you were at the Leeds game at Elland Road in 1975?

Well so was i! and loved watching the football they played against some excellent teams of that era.

I too dream of the days of that style of football being played and looking at the time you posted your OP i dont know if you had had a few that night to drown your sorrows?

You cannot compare the team of the 70's with the team we watch today as the individual players are not so talented as Stanton, Blackley, Edwards or Cropley of that time. We are watching a side that won the Scottish Cup who has just lost ONE game and all emotions are showing!!

If only you remember the team that got us relegated and has us playing in this league and remember the number of managerial changes we had too. We are trying to instill some stability into this team and all you can do is tear them apart with how bad they are compared to the 70's lot.

They are missing their talisman in McGinn and Fyvie too we need to give them that bit added support to get them through games like last night. In years to come someone may come on here going on about how good the 2016 team that won the cup and got us promotion where?

Big L
04-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Ulrik Laursen played like a wing back. If I remember correctly McLeish brought him in on a free and we sold him to Celtic for 1.3m.

That guy could run all day, he thought a good Sat night out was a run up Arthur seat. The last player we had that even resembled a WB was Booth and he got criticised for his defensive frailties. Conte at Chelsea has converted Moses a mediocre winger to a WB, one minute he couln't get a game now Real Mad want him. Good WB's are hard to find, until such times as we get one we should get of Lewis back!

mjhibby
04-12-2016, 08:38 AM
We are in the championship due to butcher. It has been two exceptional years with the sevco and Hertz then sevco. We won the cup last year so wouldn't say its a failure. We were one missed penalty from being three points clear and two sending off which cost us at least 4 points. Utd aren't great either and with mcginn,fyfie and keatings injured we are limited. Hopefully we will see signings that will push us to promotion. I started watching Turnbulls tornadoes so your stating the bleeding obvious to say were not seeing that. Apart from McLeish and mowbrays reign we haven't seen football anywhere bear that. I watched a few mins if the Hertz game v sevco and believe me we are no worse than either of them. We are top of the league so it's ours to win. Too many players aren't performing but if we can get McGeoch a run of games and Keats is back I'm sure we will put a run together. It's the hibs way to always do it the hard way. Btw Hertz would have lost over £1m last year without sows transfer and that's with sellouts every week. It's not all about finance. Injuries could decide whether we go up and id rather have them now than the business end.onto Dumbarton and 3 points.

Ray_
04-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Worst performance by Boyle or by anyone? If the latter you're early on the peeve or have a spectacularly short memory.

The performance wasn't great, but we missed a penalty and that changed the outcome. The knee jerking on here is astonishing. .

Anybody and it is not a knee jerk, it is an opinion, based on what I have seen and my memory is pretty decent thanks. Nothing went right for him all game, including the very basic control of the ball. It wasn't for the want of trying or anything like that and its not to say he won't spring back from here.

As for the peeve, I have never written anything negative about the player before that post & I like the fella and his attitude off the park is first class, my comments were for Friday's game.

What is astonishing, is you thinking that its only your opinion that matters.

Borderhibbie76
04-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Only thing I'm sick and tired of is Hibs.net since Friday night. Not a great performance but jeezo we weren't exactly horsed..the overreaction on here by many is bloody ridiculous. We r still joint top with more than half a season to play and 3 key players to return from.injury. Can everyone just take a minute and breathe before posting nonsense all the time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Only thing I'm sick and tired of is Hibs.net since Friday night. Not a great performance but jeezo we weren't exactly horsed..the overreaction on here by many is bloody ridiculous. We r still joint top with more than half a season to play and 3 key players to return from.injury. Can everyone just take a minute and breathe before posting nonsense all the time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Agree but at the moment we are top:greengrin

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 11:41 AM
It's little wonder "Hibsing it" is a thing cos half the fan base **** themselves in the face of adversity too. We played our expected title rivals at their home patch and lost 1-0 to a penalty. Sure it's a setback but christ have a backbone folks. Both teams were stinking so all we can do is focus on bouncing back. We can lament missed opportunities or be thankful United didn't start the season the way we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_
04-12-2016, 01:56 PM
It's little wonder "Hibsing it" is a thing cos half the fan base **** themselves in the face of adversity too. We played our expected title rivals at their home patch and lost 1-0 to a penalty. Sure it's a setback but christ have a backbone folks. Both teams were stinking so all we can do is focus on bouncing back. We can lament missed opportunities or be thankful United didn't start the season the way we did.

Who is **** themselves? It was regarded a crap performance [correctly in my opinion] and wonder of wonders, people are discussing it on a Hibs fans message board!!! What else do you them to do to get their frustrations out, boo the team out at our next game?

Dundee United were always going to be our main rivals an we have recently lost an eight point gap to them and we were put out the league cup by Queen of the South, do you want the support to be walking about with a stupid smile on their face? People spend a lot of their hard earned money on Hibs and they have a right to be frustrated when a wobble sets in, in the third campaign outside the top league.

We need to get back on track and am very confident we will, meanwhile, rather paper over the rather obvious cracks with cheap talk, its far better for the frustration to come out in places like this than on match days.

Highland_Hibee
04-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Who is **** themselves? It was regarded a crap performance [correctly in my opinion] and wonder of wonders, people are discussing it on a Hibs fans message board!!! What else do you them to do to get their frustrations out, boo the team out at our next game?

Dundee United were always going to be our main rivals an we have recently lost an eight point gap to them and we were put out the league cup by Queen of the South, do you want the support to be walking about with a stupid smile on their face? People spend a lot of their hard earned money on Hibs and they have a right to be frustrated when a wobble sets in, in the third campaign outside the top league.

We need to get back on track and am very confident we will, meanwhile, rather paper over the rather obvious cracks with cheap talk, its far better for the frustration to come out in places like this than on match days.

Not "who". The "sensored term for poop" themselves.

The Leith Dutch
04-12-2016, 05:42 PM

Two completely different eras so not sure what you get out of comparing them.

Put it another way, if football had been the money game it is now back at the time of the Tornados or the Famous Five they'd all have been playing for different teams and we wouldn't have been able to afford them.

Not saying that means we have a great team but judging them in any sense other than as a second division team in a National league that has dropped it's standards hugely and who have, relatively speaking,very little money isn't really proving anything..

Take Stevenson - of course he's not Arthur Duncan.
He's a decent left back at the level we're at.

Boyle has a fair bit of pace. He's not Willie Ormond.
If he had the pace he has and could finish to a high standard he'd be playing somewhere else.

CentreLine
04-12-2016, 06:09 PM

I was brought up on the same diet and I can understand your comment. Unfortunately I also remember that we have never been able to cope with injuries or suspensions to key players and that was as true of the Tornadoes us much as it is today. When Bobby Duncan had his leg broken we struggled at right back. When John Brownlie had his leg broken, quickly followed by outrageously long suspensions for Pat Stanton and Alex Edwards, we crumbled. (SFA conspiracy anyone).

We have always lacked depth in our squads and that is something the current set-up is addressing.
I think we saw last night that we need to have better quality as back-up to our better players. Fyvie and McGinn were very badly missed last night and too many others had a bad day at the office.

I think you are being a little unfair to Boyle, yes he had a bad game but he has been worth almost a goal a game in all of his previous starts in October/November. Last night he was awful, no mistake, but he is a better player than that. I saw some poor displays in Eddie Turnbull's time too. Not many to be fair but the last quarter against Hajduk Splitt comes to mind. And what about Pat's penalty against Leeds?

I feel your pain though and am eternally grateful that we saw better players not just at club level but at International level too

Ozymandias
05-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Anybody and it is not a knee jerk, it is an opinion, based on what I have seen and my memory is pretty decent thanks. Nothing went right for him all game, including the very basic control of the ball. It wasn't for the want of trying or anything like that and its not to say he won't spring back from here.

As for the peeve, I have never written anything negative about the player before that post & I like the fella and his attitude off the park is first class, my comments were for Friday's game.

What is astonishing, is you thinking that its only your opinion that matters.

So Boyle's performance was the worst you can remember by anybody who has played for Hibs? Good grief. That really is some claim. In my opinion (and no, its not the only one that counts but as its an internet messageboard its the only one I can really give), that type of excessive reaction is way OTT, and makes any more reasoned points you may make less valid as it is swamped by hyperbolic nonsense.

Im assuming you remember most of the team in the the Hearts Cup Final, or the majority of players in Butchers era, or Calderwoods? I'd say there are literally hundreds and hundreds of worst performances that shouldnt take too much of a strain on the recall bank.

jgl07
06-12-2016, 07:46 PM
This thread is the biggest load of crap I have seen on Hibs net and it is up against some stiff competition.

Anyone who wants to watch Turnbull's Tornados needs to get a time machine. In the meantime less self undulgent whinging would be appreciated.

Scouse Hibee
06-12-2016, 08:27 PM
This thread is the biggest load of crap I have seen on Hibs net and it is up against some stiff competition.

Anyone who wants to watch Turnbull's Tornados needs to get a time machine. In the meantime less self undulgent whinging would be appreciated.

Tend to agree. :agree:

07-12-2016, 11:25 AM
I remember when all this was fields.

Brizo
07-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Returning to OP bottom line is most of the Tornadoes team if playing today, would have moved on elsewhere by end of their first season together. The obscene financial disparity which exists between English fitba and us didnt exist back then and while players did move there werent the wholesale moves you see now. Its not realistic to compare different eras.

Overall quality of player in Scotland has undoubtedly dropped. Id suggest improved social / entertainment / career options available to young people nowadays means fitba is one of the things youngsters do today, not the thing they do.

jdships
07-12-2016, 04:12 PM
At 84 I just fancy stirring it :greengrin:wink:
I haven't seen a really top class Hibs team since
Kerr
Govan
Shaw
Finnigan
Aird
Kean
Smith
Johnston
Reilly
Turnbull
Ormond

With " back ups"
Combe , Clark, Nutley

A real Hibs team
:not worthy:hibees

Ray_
07-12-2016, 05:49 PM
So Boyle's performance was the worst you can remember by anybody who has played for Hibs? Good grief. That really is some claim. In my opinion (and no, its not the only one that counts but as its an internet messageboard its the only one I can really give), that type of excessive reaction is way OTT, and makes any more reasoned points you may make less valid as it is swamped by hyperbolic nonsense.

Im assuming you remember most of the team in the the Hearts Cup Final, or the majority of players in Butchers era, or Calderwoods? I'd say there are literally hundreds and hundreds of worst performances that shouldnt take too much of a strain on the recall bank.

I am not really that interested in what you consider I should choose as the worst performance I've seen, I'm perfectly capable of doing so myself thank you.

In the great scheme of things, having a one off disastrous performance is not that big a deal and therefore I could quite reasonably say that it is your reaction that is exaggerated, even the worlds greatest players have had days when they have had a "complete mare", so to me its no biggie.

I had a pop at the performance of a number of players from Friday night and you have chosen to single out one of the comments I made, the overall team performance was my focus. The truth is that although I thought his performance was as bad as I described, I wouldn't even have mentioned it if the others hadn't contributed to such a dire display on the night.

What might have justified your "hyperbolic nonsense", would have been if I had described him as the worst player I had ever seen at ER, which is a long way off from what I did say.