PDA

View Full Version : Keatings

lugz
02-12-2016, 09:04 PM
When is he back?

Straight back in the team when he is fit surely.

madhatter
02-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Problem with Keatings is he is hot and cold just like Boyle. Perfect control one week, tripping over his feet next week. We need strengthened right through the team.

Why have Stevenson and Gray not improved their crossing in 2+ years playing the way we do - surely they do it in training every week?

Why have no players improved at anything other than their norm? McGinn came and was good but we haven't seen a player have poor hold up play and then 1 season later have hugely improved it. Players with bad touches and bad consistency never seem to improve at Hibs, I worry the coaching has went down hill for years...

WeeRussell
02-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Problem with Keatings is he is hot and cold just like Boyle. Perfect control one week, tripping over his feet next week. We need strengthened right through the team.

Why have Stevenson and Gray not improved their crossing in 2+ years playing the way we do - surely they do it in training every week?

Why have no players improved at anything other than their norm? McGinn came and was good but we haven't seen a player have poor hold up play and then 1 season later have hugely improved it. Players with bad touches and bad consistency never seem to improve at Hibs, I worry the coaching has went down hill for years...

I would disagree re the comparison with Boyle. Keatings is a much better footballer for me, while Boyle has always been about pace. I think when given his chances up front, Keatings has generally played well.

Let's not forget that the reason boyle played tonight (and the main reason our best striker didn't) is because he has been playing well recently and scoring. Poor individual performance in what was a poor team performance Tonight.

I do think Cummings return to a starting place is long overdue though. No excuses now.

madhatter
02-12-2016, 09:23 PM
I would disagree re the comparison with Boyle. Keatings is a much better footballer for me, while Boyle has always been about pace. I think when given his chances up front, Keatings has generally played well.

Let's not forget that the reason boyle played tonight (and the main reason our best striker didn't) is because he has been playing well recently and scoring. Poor individual performance in what was a poor team performance Tonight.

I do think Cummings return to a starting place is long overdue though. No excuses now.

I've seen Keatings been absolutely woeful many times for us. Better footballer than Boyle but just as inconsistent. I don't trust many of our players to be able to deliver week in week out and I'm concerned about that.

As I said, biggest concern is why have our weakest points for years not been sorted out? We are giving money to club through various means and have higher budget I assume than Dundee United but I'd take a few of their players over ours. E.g. Spittal, Murray and Edje in defence and the fullback.

We've not had width for years.
We've not a strong front line (barring Cummings) for years.
We've struggled to create through the middle against teams that sit in for years.
We've been horrendous at set pieces for years.
We've had fullbacks that can't cross for years.
We've conceded poor goals in games we've dominated for years.

Why don't these things improve? Why do Boyle and Keatings, all the players for that matter remain so poor at their weakest play?

IberianHibernian
02-12-2016, 09:24 PM

I do think Cummings return to a starting place is long overdue though. No excuses now.Agree Keatings is a much better footballer and his injury came at a particularly bad time with all other strikers struggling .

DH1875
03-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Not saying he's the answer but Keatings is a much better player and option than Boyle IMO.

Hermit Crab
03-12-2016, 06:45 AM
When is he back?

Dunno when he is back but he was sitting 2 rows directly behind me last night in the stand suggesting not soon.

3pm
03-12-2016, 06:48 AM
Dunno when he is back but he was sitting 2 rows directly behind me last night in the stand suggesting not soon.

It doesn't suggest that.

hibsbollah
03-12-2016, 06:49 AM
When Keatings was playing he was getting criticism and folk were asking what Boyle had to do to get a game :dunno:

The charming stone island attired, neck tattooed gentleman at the bottom of section 41 who spends most of Keatings' games out of his seat screaming '**** off you're ****ing useless you jambo ****' at 120 decibels must be even more raging than normal reading this.

lugz
03-12-2016, 06:55 AM
When Keatings was playing he was getting criticism and folk were asking what Boyle had to do to get a game :dunno:

The charming stone island attired, neck tattooed gentleman at the bottom of section 41 who spends most of Keatings' games out of his seat screaming '**** off you're ****ing useless you jambo ****' at 120 decibels must be even more raging than normal reading this.

Haha he sounds charming. I really like Keatings and is proven to bang in goals at this level.

eastcoasthibby
03-12-2016, 06:57 AM
I have asked same questions,about players working at training on their weaker aspects. Are they encouraged to stay back and work in individual parts of their game ? I suspect (,fair idea really) that our players are,at trami g for a max of 3,*hours per day ...90% is working as a team on fitness generally and team aspects, shape, movement, set plays and strategy as well as what we can see at half time nice little tricks ..
Getting back on theme, I lkke Keating s yes a bit hot n cold, but he has a pretty good football brain, links with others, is good striker of the ball and is,a better finisher than Boyle.
On Boyle look at his record on one to one chances ! And it's poor he doesn't have great composure in those situations, so for me a penalty is another of those situations so he shouldn't be on them at all !! Shinnie or Hamlin on the next one please !
Hurry back Keats

brog
03-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Every Hibs player improves when they're injured!! Dylan tonight was a perfect example. People have been calling for him for weeks & many on here say he's our best player. Tonight was his big chance & unfortunately he was totally anonymous.

where'stheslope
03-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I like Keatings and think he is a piece of the answer to our front two.
My worry is at the Yams he had a chance to play in the Premiership and chose to move to Hibs?
Does he have the ambition to get us up to a higher League?

andy1875
03-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Every Hibs player improves when they're injured!! Dylan tonight was a perfect example. People have been calling for him for weeks & many on here say he's our best player. Tonight was his big chance & unfortunately he was totally anonymous.

Me and my dad both totally forgot he was on the park until the start of the second half, he was largely anonymous. I like Dylan though and will be a massive player for us over the course of the season, especially now with Fyvie and McGinn out during Xmas/New Year.

TonyStokeprano
03-12-2016, 08:44 AM
The same keatings that has 1 goals in 800 minutes or something this season ?

Sir David Gray
03-12-2016, 09:08 AM

How does it suggest that?

If he wasn't fit enough to be in the squad last night, the stand's the only place he would be.

That doesn't mean he's not going to be fit enough to play within the next couple of weeks.

Conj
03-12-2016, 09:43 AM
I was sat a couple of seats along from him last night, said he is back training next week.

J-C
04-12-2016, 02:35 PM
I had a guy in the taxi on saturday who works for Hearts, was going to get his lift at Gogarburn, he said he worked at Dundee prior to Hearts. He was saying Boyle was a fantastic trainer, electric pace but not a great deal of football intelligence, he signed him for Dundee from Montrose, he then said Hearts let Keatings go as they thought he wasn't up to SPL level but was perfect in the Championship, also a great lad with good work ethics at training and on the park. I think you see exactly what he means with these two players, great attitude on the park and off it but ultimately are they really good enough, both fairly inconsistent.

I like both players, Keatings has more game savvy but they both offer the pace and directness we are so lacking at times, they may not be good enough for the SPL but they sure are good enough for this league.

Sir David Gray
04-12-2016, 02:42 PM
I had a guy in the taxi on saturday who works for Hearts, was going to get his lift at Gogarburn, he said he worked at Dundee prior to Hearts. He was saying Boyle was a fantastic trainer, electric pace but not a great deal of football intelligence, he signed him for Dundee from Montrose, he then said Hearts let Keatings go as they thought he wasn't up to SPFL level but was perfect in the Championship, also a great lad with good work ethics at training and on the park. I think you see exactly what he means with these two players, great attitude on the park and off it but ultimately are they really good enough, both fairly inconsistent.

I like both players, Keatings has more game savvy but they both offer the pace and directness we are so lacking at times, they may not be good enough for the SPFL but they sure are good enough for this league.

Sorry to be pedantic but the SPFL refers to the entire league structure in Scotland, it's not a replacement of the SPL.

The top league's the Premiership. :greengrin

HibsNutter
04-12-2016, 02:46 PM
When is he back?

Why? He's bang average

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Why? He's bang average

:rolleyes:

J-C
04-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but the SPFL refers to the entire league structure in Scotland, it's not a replacement of the SPL.

The top league's the Premiership. :greengrin

Correct, not paying attention to my own post :greengrin

Now edited.

lugz
04-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Why? He's bang average

I despair I really do. He's better than what we've been playing recently and has a proven track record of scoring goals in this division.

Thecat23
04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Why? He's bang average

😂

Aye no bother.

Hermit Crab
04-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Why? He's bang average

Best finisher at the club, and that comes from staff. Even better at it than cummings.

B.H.F.C
04-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Best finisher at the club, and that comes from staff. Even better at it than cummings.

Only one goal this season though.

Hermit Crab
04-12-2016, 07:55 PM

A month out injured doesn't help!

B.H.F.C
04-12-2016, 08:00 PM
A month out injured doesn't help!

No but plenty opportunities prior to that. The fact our 'best finisher' only has one goal (in the 10 games or so that he played in) probably tells you all you need to know about our problems attacking wise.

Hermit Crab
04-12-2016, 09:37 PM
No but plenty opportunities prior to that. The fact our 'best finisher' only has one goal (in the 10 games or so that he played in) probably tells you all you need to know about our problems attacking wise.

I'm hoping that as well as width are addressed in January.

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Every Hibs player improves when they're injured!! Dylan tonight was a perfect example. People have been calling for him for weeks & many on here say he's our best player. Tonight was his big chance & unfortunately he was totally anonymous.Forgetting the last 2 years that Dylan has been excellent?

Unseen work
04-12-2016, 11:03 PM
I think he is decent enough.

Certainly not as good as some people make on.

Some games he is very good then the next he seems very weak and anonymous.

Best finisher at the club? That might be in a training environment.

He has a very good left foot but doesn't score as many as he should imo.

Hopefully he ups it when he is fit as Lennon is showing faith in him

JimBHibees
05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
I think he is decent enough.

Certainly not as good as some people make on.

Some games he is very good then the next he seems very weak and anonymous.

Best finisher at the club? That might be in a training environment.

He has a very good left foot but doesn't score as many as he should imo.

Hopefully he ups it when he is fit as Lennon is showing faith in him

Tend to agree with that does flatter to deceive a bit and a little inconsistent. Useful option to have though.

JDHibs
05-12-2016, 10:14 AM
When Cummings wasnt scoring everyone said Keatings was the answer.

When Keatings got injured everyone said Boyle was the answer.

Now Boyles had a off game and Cummings is the answer.

Its the usual fan merry go round/fans knowing whats best. Players have bad games/runs.

Steve20
05-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Why? He's bang average

If he gets a run in the team, he'll score goals regularly.

scoopyboy
05-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Someone put a bet on with me on here earlier on in the season that Cummings, Holt and Keatings would score 60 League goals between them.

Thankfully rather than gain directly the money will go to the Dnipro kids as it would have been stealing if I had kept the money to myself.

Would still be happy to lose the bet like. :greengrin

emerald green
05-12-2016, 05:54 PM

I've been wondering why that might be. Could it be Dylan McGeouch is still not really fully fit, or is wary of pulling up again?

Maybe he was in the team due to the absence of McGinn, Fyvie and Keatings, but shouldn't have been?

Nicho87
05-12-2016, 05:58 PM
For me the best finisher at the club. Was coming on to a game before injury struck. Glad to see him approaching first team action.

Bishop Hibee
05-12-2016, 06:04 PM

I'll believe what I've seen on the pitch and that combined with the goal tally says Cummings is the better finisher. You really don't like Cummings do you?

NikGunnarsson
05-12-2016, 06:07 PM
All opinion really but personally really like the guy, think he is the best finisher at the club by a country mile and tbh has been generally unlucky in his time at the club. Just simple stuff for me like in the pre-match warm up he is always the person that scores the most and his knuckleball free kicks are deadly. Also, think he should be in the team simply as he is a good set piece taker which we lack. I would love it if he pushed on and hit 15-20 goals and helped lead us to the titlehttp://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

where'stheslope
05-12-2016, 06:17 PM
And how many assists?
His off ball running leaves space, being a forward is not just about scoring goals!
Keith Wright at Dundee was a great goalscorer mostly set up by Tommy Coyne!
One went to Celtic and one came to us, Keith Wright was good for us but not the same goalscorer he was at Dundee, Tommy Coyne at Celtic made goals for the whole team with tireless running and unselfish laying off of the ball.
Keatings for me every time at the moment, until we get in better(after injury).