PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical penalty scenario?

beensaidbefore
02-12-2016, 08:55 PM
In light of tonights penalty carry on, it got me thinking. If Holt had ran and belted the penalty in the net it obviously wouldn't have stood as Boyle was in the box. But...

My scenario is, if a 'penalty taker' places the ball on the spot and walks a long way back, out of the box and the D, pretending to take an almighty run up, could another player run from elsewhere on the edge of the box and take the penalty without acknowledging the ref etc, or does it have to be the original 'penalty taker'?

I

delbert
02-12-2016, 08:58 PM
In light of tonights penalty carry on, it got me thinking. If Holt had ran and belted the penalty in the net it obviously wouldn't have stood as Boyle was in the box. But...

My scenario is, if a 'penalty taker' places the ball on the spot and walks a long way back, out of the box and the D, pretending to take an almighty run up, could another player run from elsewhere on the edge of the box and take the penalty without acknowledging the ref etc, or does it have to be the original 'penalty taker'?

I
Can't happen, taker must be identified prior to kick

beensaidbefore
02-12-2016, 09:01 PM

OK, thanks.

Worth a try😂

beensaidbefore
02-12-2016, 09:04 PM

On second thoughts, does the player only need to be identified to the ref? Or does the goalie need to know too?

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2016, 09:14 PM
On second thoughts, does the player only need to be identified to the ref? Or does the goalie need to know too?

Doesn't it have to be whoever places the ball has to take it?

beensaidbefore
02-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Doesn't it have to be whoever places the ball has to take it?

Not sure tbh

snooky
03-12-2016, 10:14 AM
This is a good question and it'll be interesting to find out what the rules actually say.

wookie70
03-12-2016, 11:44 AM
The referee shall confirm the following requirements
before the penalty kick is taken:
 the kicker is identified
 the ball is properly placed on the penalty mark
 the goalkeeper is on the goal line between the goal
posts and facing the kicker
 the team-mates of the kicker and the goalkeeper are:
• outside the penalty area
• outside the penalty arc
• behind the ball

Not specific but looks like anyone can spot the ball and only the ref needs to know who the kicker is

beensaidbefore
03-12-2016, 05:51 PM
 the kicker is identified
• behind the ball

Not specific but looks like anyone can spot the ball and only the ref needs to know who the kicker is

Interesting. Maybe it could be pulled off. Would need to get it right first time, wouldn't be fooling anyone second time round.

cammy1969
03-12-2016, 06:20 PM

I

Haha takes me back a lot of years playing boys club football when we got a pen guy puts ball on spot steps back and 1 of the not so good players smashed it over bar was so funny at the time 35 years or so ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
03-12-2016, 06:36 PM
 the kicker is identified
• behind the ball

I've never had a ref confirm who was taking a pen in a game I've been playing in although it may just be that they don't bother. Never noticed if they do it in professional football or if they just assume it's the guy putting the ball down.

jgl07
03-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Manchester City tried a few stunts when taking penalties in the mid-1950s.

Don Revie was the midfield playmaker at the time and probably devised the ideas.

The plan worked out that that a player would run up to take the penalty but jump over the ball allowing a team mate to follow up and roll the ball past the bewildered goalkeeper. I think it was ruled out and the kick had to be retaken.

The varaint of that was for the penalty taken to tap the ball to one side for a team mate to score. I think that one counted provided that the ball moved sufficiently to be deemed to be in play.

I think that the rules were modified to deal with such situations.

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Messi scored like the 2nd example you gave above last season.

Either that or he played a wee pass from the spot and another player ran in to score.

There was a bit of a fuss about it as being a tad show-offy but it was a perfectly good goal.

wookie70
03-12-2016, 10:41 PM
I'm sure Johan C did the second variant in the 70s. Did Pirez not balls that up at Arsenal a while back