PDA

View Full Version : New Years Day Game

et vireta
02-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Will we ever again get to play the Hearts on a New Years day with a 3 pm kick off ?
To get it played on New Years day I would even accept a 5 pm kick off.

It was a massive part of Edinburgh's festive season and I want it back ! (If and when promoted)
Whats the fans reps input on this one ?

G B Young
02-12-2016, 09:49 AM
As somebody old enough to have been around when we won the new year game 7-0 I'm aware it's a fixture that will always have a special place in Hibs' history. However, for me the New Year's Day game was more often than not a bit of a pain. Hard to get to by public transport and with a hangover thrown into the equation it tended to feel like more of a duty than a pleasure. And if we got beat it sucked all the joy out of the new year just one day in! I don't actually miss it.

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2016, 09:56 AM
It's not that long since the game was played on NYD. 2011 IIRC, at Tynie.

Not sure what the fans' reps can actually do about this, TBH. We're largely at the mercy of the police and TV companies.

et vireta
02-12-2016, 10:06 AM
It's not that long since the game was played on NYD. 2011 IIRC, at Tynie.

Not sure what the fans' reps can actually do about this, TBH. We're largely at the mercy of the police and TV companies.

I thought perhaps the fans reps could shed some light on what was the outcome of our discussions with the Police and TV companies were

ie Did we ever push for a 5pm kick off with the TV companies ?
Did the police blank it full stop, or was it a monetary issue that Hibs couldn't and wouldn't swallow ?

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2016, 10:28 AM
I thought perhaps the fans reps could shed some light on what was the outcome of our discussions with the Police and TV companies were

ie Did we ever push for a 5pm kick off with the TV companies ?
Did the police blank it full stop, or was it a monetary issue that Hibs couldn't and wouldn't swallow ?

The Fans Reps only came into office in February 2015. There haven't been any opportunities for NYD games since then.

lucky
02-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Are we really thinking that our 2 elected non executive directors can influence fixtures, TV scheduling and Police Scotland ? For New Year 2018!!

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2016, 11:55 AM
As somebody old enough to have been around when we won the new year game 7-0 I'm aware it's a fixture that will always have a special place in Hibs' history. However, for me the New Year's Day game was more often than not a bit of a pain. Hard to get to by public transport and with a hangover thrown into the equation it tended to feel like more of a duty than a pleasure. And if we got beat it sucked all the joy out of the new year just one day in! I don't actually miss it.
Social changes have taken away the special quality of it. We no longer have just a short break at New Year. It's probably more appropriate, for all sorts of reasons, to have the game on one of the holidays.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

monktonharp
02-12-2016, 12:24 PM
I thibk the 2nd of Jan is a better time for this fixture. tends to be a bit easier for transport, and less folk really hung over. gives you a bit of leeway, to recover from festivities and batter back into it on the 2nd:thumbsup: pity we cant play them in a league match, but we may yet meet in the cup so we can show off the trophy next year.