PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Pennant deciding on Hibs contract offer!

California-Hibs
02-12-2016, 06:09 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-has-leon-osman-and-jermaine-pennant-on-his-radar-1-4306725

Also the Italian lad Rossi has been invited to come in for a trial.

Interesting!

bingo70
02-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Can't open the link on my phone but my understanding of the article I read last night was that we had Pennant in training but decided to leave that one, as in we won't be pursuing it?

California-Hibs
02-12-2016, 06:55 AM
“Pennant came in and trained for a couple of days and we’ve left things with him,” said Lennon.

Ok, perhaps on reflection my thread title could be amended 😂 But it does sound like he's been offered something and is thinking it over rather than deciding to not pursue it..

hibsbollah
02-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Just on the basis that he once punched Niko Crancjar in the face during England-Croatia U21 game, I think he'd be an excellent signing:agree:

Pete
02-12-2016, 07:19 AM
Not one for the long term but he would be a great signing, no matter where he plays. A real quality player.

It's all about getting us out of this quagmire right now so we need quick fixes before long term solutions.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-12-2016, 07:59 AM
I read this morning that we were in for him then an hour later i saw a report saying we made a failed bid for him and osman

calumhibee1
02-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Can't open the link on my phone but my understanding of the article I read last night was that we had Pennant in training but decided to leave that one, as in we won't be pursuing it?

I think Lennon said we've "left it with him". I read that as made an offer and waiting to hear back, but it could definitely be interpreted both ways.

Jones28
02-12-2016, 08:21 AM
I think Lennon said we've "left it with him". I read that as made an offer and waiting to hear back, but it could definitely be interpreted both ways.

That's how I understood it

J-C
02-12-2016, 08:27 AM

Basically here's £1500 pw till the end of the season, if you want it fair do's if not no big deal as that's all you'll get.

California-Hibs
02-12-2016, 08:51 AM
I read this morning that we were in for him then an hour later i saw a report saying we made a failed bid for him and osman

Where did you see the report saying we made a failed bid because I can't find that anywhere..

Holmesdale Hibs
02-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Basically here's £1500 pw till the end of the season, if you want it fair do's if not no big deal as that's all you'll get.

I doubt he'll be joining us for the money... http://metro.co.uk/2011/01/19/jermaine-pennant-forgot-he-owned-porsche-629935/

CRAZYHIBBY
02-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Where did you see the report saying we made a failed bid because I can't find that anywhere..

I'm sure it was the scotsman.....there's a link on newsnow site.......defo 100% said failed in bid for pennant and osman

CRAZYHIBBY
02-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Was the scotsman but now its back to the original story saying we have made a move for them.....they definitely changed it to failed in a bid then put it back....

HibbySpurs
02-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Was the scotsman but now its back to the original story saying we have made a move for them.....they definitely changed it to failed in a bid then put it back....

Nowt to do with their evident yam leanings of course :greengrin

where'stheslope
02-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Not sure we need to be paying over the odds for a player in he footballing dotage?
Good player in his day, but look at the fiasco that has ensued at Sevco with players who think they will take Scottish football by the scruff of the neck!!!
An easy fix is not always the best for the club in my view?

Northernhibee
02-12-2016, 01:20 PM
:hyper

BoomtownHibees
02-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Not sure we need to be paying over the odds for a player in he footballing dotage?
Good player in his day, but look at the fiasco that has ensued at Sevco with players who think they will take Scottish football by the scruff of the neck!!!
An easy fix is not always the best for the club in my view?

Who says we would pay over the odds for him??

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I get a squeaky bum when I see Hibs taking an interest in guys like this. We all know that being signed to big clubs in the past and the 'he'll rip up this league' theory usually only works out in the players mind, how many of these nearly men have come up to Scotland and actually proved they are a cut above?

Pennants past off the field isn't exactly a glowing recommendation either ........ he may be a different guy now and like every player that signs for us I would give him a clean slate.

Andy74
02-12-2016, 03:43 PM
I get a squeaky bum when I see Hibs taking an interest in guys like this. We all know that being signed to big clubs in the past and the 'he'll rip up this league' theory usually only works out in the players mind, how many of these nearly men have come up to Scotland and actually proved they are a cut above?

Pennants past off the field isn't exactly a glowing recommendation either ........ he may be a different guy now and like every player that signs for us I would give him a clean slate.

Pennant isn't really a nearly man is he? He has had a pretty decent career at a high level.

Grant Holt is doing alright for us as a recent example.

I'm not sure anyone thinks a player like that would rip the league up, but they could be a very good solid addition both in ability and experience as we get into the second half of the season.

bingo70
02-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Pennant isn't really a nearly man is he? He has had a pretty decent career at a high level.

I'm not sure anyone thinks a player like that would rip the league up, but they could be a very good solid addition both in ability and experience as we get into the second half of the season.

He would offer more than Alex Harris therefore an improvement on the current squad, that's all that matters really.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Can't really have been setting the Heather on fire in the Singapore league?

HoboHarry
02-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Can't really have been setting the Heather on fire in the Singapore league?
What do you base that statement on?

jacomo
02-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Hibs traditional quota of bad boys is looking a bit low at the moment, so no wonder we are looking at Pennant. Almost a 2 for 1 deal with this guy.

To say he has not made the most of his opportunities is an understatement. Let's hope Neil likes a challenge.

beensaidbefore
02-12-2016, 04:36 PM
I love it on here when folk don't know so just make it up anyway.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-12-2016, 04:49 PM
What do you base that statement on?

Just an opinion. It's not a massive league and doubt he would have to work at 100% to outshine those around him. Just an opinion is all.

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2016, 04:52 PM

I would say that given his obvious talent he hasn't reached the heights he could or should have, from that point of view I think 'nearly man' is a reasonable summing up of his career so far .... I don't put Grant Holt in that category because he has probably made as much as he could out of what talent he has from what I've seen of him.

As far as Pennant goes I'm not questioning his raw talent, he can obviously play, but if you are going to make a difference to a club at his age especially in the position he plays then your attitude has to be spot on and there's plenty evidence from his past that its attitude that has been his problem, perhaps not on the pitch, but certainly off it.

HoboHarry
02-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Just an opinion. It's not a massive league and doubt he would have to work at 100% to outshine those around him. Just an opinion is all.
It may of course be that he just wants to return to the UK?

jacomo
02-12-2016, 06:41 PM
I would say that given his obvious talent he hasn't reached the heights he could or should have, from that point of view I think 'nearly man' is a reasonable summing up of his career so far .... I don't put Grant Holt in that category because he has probably made as much as he could out of what talent he has from what I've seen of him.

As far as Pennant goes I'm not questioning his raw talent, he can obviously play, but if you are going to make a difference to a club at his age especially in the position he plays then your attitude has to be spot on and there's plenty evidence from his past that its attitude that has been his problem, perhaps not on the pitch, but certainly off it.

:agree:

You're spot on.

greenflyer
02-12-2016, 09:20 PM
"Jermaine Pennant is set to leave Singapore-based side Tampines Rovers after refusing to take a pay cut on his reported £23,495-a-month wages.

The former Liverpool winger will not budge on the money he currently earns, despite teammates taking a hit on their pay to help out the club.

Despite the situation, Rovers chairman Krishna Ramachandra has paid tribute to Pennant as an 'immaculate professional'.

“He’s a great player, but no player makes the team," he said. “He’s had a huge impact on the club and Singapore football."

CapitalGreen
02-12-2016, 09:26 PM

He played in the Champions League Final.