PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Across Enemy Lines

hibsbollah
01-12-2016, 11:05 AM
I was talking to an old Geordie geezer recently, who used to go and watch Sunderland one week and Newcastle the next, throughout an entire season. He was a mag but had no particular dislike for the mackems and enjoyed watching them. My grandad waaay back also watched Hibs in the weeks when Hearts were away, being a yam (but, unusually, a good one :greengrin)

Which got me thinking, with all this 'hate' chat doing the rounds, and it being almost compulsory to despise your local rivals, has anyone else heard of this happening, either now or historically? (Aidan Smith excepted).

Golden Bear
01-12-2016, 11:09 AM
I was talking to an old Geordie geezer recently, who used to go and watch Sunderland one week and Newcastle the next, throughout an entire season. He was a mag but had no particular dislike for the mackems and enjoyed watching them. My grandad waaay back also watched Hibs in the weeks when Hearts were away, being a yam (but, unusually, a good one :greengrin)

Which got me thinking, with all this 'hate' chat doing the rounds, and it being almost compulsory to despise your local rivals, has anyone else heard of this happening, either now or historically? (Aidan Smith excepted).

Yes, I think it was a fairly common practice up until the mid sixties.

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Certainly was common, even into the 70's.

In those days, when travel to away games was relatively difficult, and the social alternatives limited, men just wanted to watch a game. I spent many a Saturday alternating between Tynie and ER with my dad and Granda. You could be assured that, in the away end, there would be plenty supporters of the "other" team.

For those same reasons, Reserve games got decent crowds too.

JimBHibees
01-12-2016, 11:14 AM

As far as I am aware most works at that time worked Saturday mornings so the workers were keen to do something Saturday afternoon so would go with workmates turn about. Can remember when first going to games late 60s/early 70s my dad would meet up with 4 guys in the Dunbar end who he worked with, 2 Hibees, 2 Hearts.

Golden Bear
01-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Certainly was common, even into the 70's.

In those days, when travel to away games was relatively difficult, and the social alternatives limited, men just wanted to watch a game. I spent many a Saturday alternating between Tynie and ER with my dad and Granda. You could be assured that, in the away end, there would be plenty supporters of the "other" team.

For those same reasons, Reserve games got decent crowds too.

I've watched many a Derby before ticket segregation was introduced. I've shared my new year's day bottle with hertz fans. It's so hard even to contemplate such a practice these days. Very sad in a way.

Kojock
01-12-2016, 11:19 AM

My dad used to take me and my bro to ER one week then Tynecastle the next in the mid to late 60's. Never used to mind them when I was growing up. Segregation stopped supporters mingling which could have added to the them and us. Chris Robinson, Mercer and Mad Vlad are the main reason for the rivalry turning into hatred.

Golden Bear
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM
My dad used to take me and my bro to ER one week then Tynecastle the next in the mid to late 60's. Never used to mind them when I was growing up. Segregation stopped supporters mingling which could have added to the them and us. Chris Robinson, Mercer and Mad Vlad are the main reason for the rivalry turning into hatred.

Couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2016, 11:31 AM

Not sure I'd agree totally with your last sentence.

The early 70's saw the beginnings of the "boot-boy" culture, which made team-supporting much more of a tribal thing than a rival thing.

Although those you mention (and I'd single out Mercer, who never did "get" the rivalry thing) had their parts to play, I'd suggest that social changes more than anything were the main reason. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if similar changes occurred in places like Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield.

snooky
01-12-2016, 11:34 AM
My two best mates did this regularly in the sixties. A hibby and a jambo. They would go together to ER or Tynie every week.
I used to enjoy Saturday nights waiting till they were tanked up & start talking about the game. I'd then sit back and watch the fireworks.

I was a :stirrer: wee bar steward even back then.

Jack
01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
I used to go to Easter Road with my school chums and with a neighbour to tynie.

Bonus was the Hibees flying high in European competition midweek and the next the Texaco Cup.

I never did get the hate thing for hearts, take the pish aye, and sometimes get very close to the bone. But hate, nah, I've got better things to occupy my mind.

Tom Hart RIP
01-12-2016, 11:44 AM
I used to go to Tynie if I couldn't get to Hibs away games. Usually wanted them to get beat though.
Even chummed pals to Scottish Cup final when Rangers beat them 3-1. 1976?
Game kicked off early and Derek Johnstone scored before 3pm.
I also went to the Lokomotice Leipzig game which they won 5-1. After the game I joined everyone on the pitch so I played a part on Hearts getting fined.

Valencia
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Went to Edinburgh City v Fort William in the Scottish Cup a couple of years ago and got speaking to two old guys. They asked if I came here regularly and when I told them I was a Hibby they told me the were season ticket holders at Easter Road and also at Tynecastle.

Bostonhibby
01-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Couldn't agree more with your last sentence.
Yep, this is where I am too. The older heads were far too easily turned by the attraction of borrowing and ultimately stealing for success and the generation that bought into the vlad way of doing things without any regret will make this a bridge I'd rather not cross and this from a hibby who was taken to our 1973 cup win by a hearts fan from a different era.

Absolutely shameless shower now, all that separates them and their cousins is a liquidation.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

son of haggart
01-12-2016, 12:21 PM
I had a season ticket for hearts back in the late 60s early 70s as a teenager. My Uncle Fred was a big Hibby (initially I think to spite my granddad who was Hearts through and through) and he would take me to the Hibs European games midweek. Looking back I think he made a few efforts to turn me to the dark side, but it wasn't uncommon in those days for people to go to both. As someone mentioned above most workplaces finished at 12 or 1 on Saturday so there was no way to get to most away games, also everyone went for a drink after work saturday so it was a natural to go to the game as well.

Ringothedog
01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
When I was too young to travel I would go and watch the reserve team playing, me or my pals never once thought about going to the other side of the city. It was Hibs or nothing.

Hermit Crab
01-12-2016, 12:38 PM
]I had a season ticket for hearts back in the late 60s early 70s as a teenager.[/B] My Uncle Fred was a big Hibby (initially I think to spite my granddad who was Hearts through and through) and he would take me to the Hibs European games midweek. Looking back I think he made a few efforts to turn me to the dark side, but it wasn't uncommon in those days for people to go to both. As someone mentioned above most workplaces finished at 12 or 1 on Saturday so there was no way to get to most away games, also everyone went for a drink after work saturday so it was a natural to go to the game as well.

Your're either lying about that or you're lying about your age. :confused:

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2016, 12:47 PM
It's also worth mentioning that it was pretty common for fans of both teams to go to derbies together, and stand together.

resident_Arab
01-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Was common for older generations to go to Dens one week and Tannadice the next

I'd imagine it's very rare to non existent now

Kojock
01-12-2016, 12:56 PM

The early 70's saw the beginnings of the "boot-boy" culture, which made team-supporting much more of a tribal thing than a rival thing.

Although those you mention (and I'd single out Mercer, who never did "get" the rivalry thing) had their parts to play, I'd suggest that social changes more than anything were the main reason. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if similar changes occurred in places like Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield.

For me Robertson, mercer and Vlad are the reasons my rivalry turned into a deep dislike of the Gorgie Gimps.

son of haggart
01-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Your're either lying about that or you're lying about your age. :confused:

Neither - the site administrators are lying about my age - work out the birthday they have given me...

:wink:

Peevemor
01-12-2016, 01:04 PM

:agree: I think internet forums (such as this one) can exacerbate things too.

ancient hibee
01-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Used to go to both although when Jock Buchanan was scoring for fun for our reserves used to go to ER for those games.You could get the train from Leith Caley which made for a shorter trip to Tynecastle.Once went with my dad who knew nothing about football to see Hearts v Third Lanark.Just after half time with Hearts about 5 up(final score 8-3,Bauld 5)my dad said "these Hearts supporters are great sports cheering all these goals".He didn't realise Thirds were in red and Hearts in candy stripes.

PeeJay
01-12-2016, 01:46 PM

Used to do it often enough back in the 60s early 70s, I'd even go watch Hibs reserves. Went to Tynecastle if there was a "big " game on there and we weren't playing. Wasn't too much televised football back then - my parents come from up that way so being up that part of the town was no big deal for me ... as mentioned elsewhere, often remember joking with my "Hearts" mates as they made their way into the ground before games ... remember lots of "banter" but none of this "hatred" for each other as we seem to have nowadays

....used to go to see Edinburgh Monarchs at the old Meadowbank stadium of a Saturday evening too, if I was lucky ...

where'stheslope
01-12-2016, 02:15 PM
I always went Tynie one week and Easter Road the next, then even had a spell going to see Meadowbank if none of the others were playing.

CentreLine
01-12-2016, 02:38 PM

It was common practice more or less until the lead up to segregation. There was certainly a more tribal attitude starting to show and when segregation was introduced there was no way back.
I feel we had a chance immediately after Hillsborough and sincerely wish we had grabbed the opportunity the way Liverpool and Everton did. It was a real opportunity to show that football fans could stand shoulder to shoulder, be competitive but still behave. Sadly we missed that boat.

IMHO three things have brought our game to the brink of self destruction:

Massive TV money across Europe
The football authorities love in with the ugly sisters
Segregation
And football violence.

In that order.

schinkenotto
01-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Used to go to both although when Jock Buchanan was scoring for fun for our reserves used to go to ER for those games.You could get the train from Leith Caley which made for a shorter trip to Tynecastle.Once went with my dad who knew nothing about football to see Hearts v Third Lanark.Just after half time with Hearts about 5 up(final score 8-3,Bauld 5)my dad said "these Hearts supporters are great sports cheering all these goals".He didn't realise Thirds were in red and Hearts in candy stripes.

Was at that game too,although a diehard Hibbie.Used to like watching Bauld ,Alex Young,Ian Crawford,John Cumming etc.Keen,sporting rivalry then and enjoyable.Mercer and all that followed changed that for me and the attitude of the Hearts supporters,excusing Romanov's crimes as justification for the 5-1 Cup Final was nauseating.

Keith_M
01-12-2016, 05:05 PM
My Grandad was a Hearts Fans but attended Easter Road nearly as often, as he never had any hatred for Hibs.

This was, though, in a different era.

He stopped going to football in the early 70s because of the bigoted songs being sung by some of his fellow Hearts Fans.

IlDiavola
01-12-2016, 05:19 PM
My dad used to talk about Easter Road one week, Tynecastle the next. He referred to them as the Jam Tarts and the Pen Nibs!

DH1875
01-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Was common for older generations to go to Dens one week and Tannadice the next

I'd imagine it's very rare to non existent now

Did/do Utd and Dundee not have the same hooligans, casuals, firm, young team or whatever it is you call them?

Hillsidehibby
01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
i did the same when I was young although Tynecastle seemed an awful long way away from Abbeyhill. I went to the Hearts-Gretna cup final, no big deal just a day out with Jambo mates. Never seen such a miserable lot after winning a cup final bizarrely.

Hi Heid Yin
01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
I remember very well my uncle Derek (a staunch Jambo) coming along to Easter Road to watch Hibs. I was a lad but remember the banter pre and post match between him and my dad and other uncles and grand dad. The pre-match ritual of dominoes and beer at a well known Easter Road pub set the scene and added to the excitement. I was restricted to coca cola by my dad, but my Uncle Derek gave me a sly wee shandy and introduced me to the man's world.

Such happy and innocent days, where fans could truly mingle on opened terracing.
I remember heading back down Easter Road for a pie supper at my grand parents - the top floor and only inhabited flat at 21 Bernard Street, Leith.
For a wee time way back in 1973/74 I got into the habit of watching Hibs one week and Hearts the next with my Jambo next door neighbour, Tam. I recall the 4-1 defeat of Hibs by Hearts- the first match at Tynie after the famous 7-0 and the delirium of not just my pal but the entire Jambo support - it was sweet revenge, so they thought, for the New Years day massacre.

Segregated seating and the social media have since invoked feelings of an us and them mentality and genuine hatred between both sets of supporters.

I find myself sighing at the changes I have witnessed in my lifetime. Maybe age (59 now) imbues a sense of nostalgia for "happier days"
The fact is that they were not always happier days. When I think of Rangers coming to visit in the early 70's my memories are of experiencing fear, anxiety and genuine hatred and bile from the Glasgow hordes - of stabbings and of rampaging fans on Easter Road.

BSEJVT
01-12-2016, 08:48 PM
I had a season ticket for hearts back in the late 60s early 70s as a teenager. My Uncle Fred was a big Hibby (initially I think to spite my granddad who was Hearts through and through) and he would take me to the Hibs European games midweek. Looking back I think he made a few efforts to turn me to the dark side, but it wasn't uncommon in those days for people to go to both. As someone mentioned above most workplaces finished at 12 or 1 on Saturday so there was no way to get to most away games, also everyone went for a drink after work saturday so it was a natural to go to the game as well.

Genuinely interested in your view as to why things changed the way they did.

My dad who was Hibs daft happily went to Tynecastle week about and his mates who were Hearts Supporters went to ER

For me it was Mercer, Robinson & Romanov, pre them I had no problem with the back and forth banter that went along but even discounting Mercer's poisonous involvement from my perspective it became banal and insulting under the other two stooges.

I have to say though that far far too many of your fellow supporters couldn't wait to jump on that bandwagon.

You will probably disagree but I would say that many Hearts supporters lost the plot at that point and as in large part became a *******ised version of their lowest common denominating instincts.

I now absolutely detest Hearts and there are very few Hearts supporters I know that I would even bother discussing football with now let alone our respective teams merits. I would get more sense talking to the dog.

There is not the slightest chance that I would give Hearts a penny by going to watch them now whereas 25 years or so ago I may have went with my Hearts supporting mates of the day, not to support them but just to watch a game.

Maybe it is societal as Resident Arab tells a similar tale of the Dundee rivalry.

I certainly don't think the comics that masquerade as newspapers these days or the internet have helped matters and have indeed fanned the flames as have it has to be said football pundits who are more interested in overplaying their own roles and importance than relating the tale of the games they have watched and the background information they have gleaned that supporters used to pour over.

It probably doesn't help either that some of the imbeciles that are modern day footballers get far more air time then their abilities or intelligence merits and serve only to stir things up further.

Bostonhibby
01-12-2016, 08:50 PM

My dad who was Hibs daft happily went to Tynecastle week about and his mates who were Hearts Supporters went to ER

For me it was Mercer, Robinson & Romanov, pre them I had no problem with the back and forth banter that went along but even discounting Mercer's poisonous involvement from my perspective it became banal and insulting under the other two stooges.

I have to say though that far far too many of your fellow supporters couldn't wait to jump on that bandwagon.

You will probably disagree but I would say that many Hearts supporters lost the plot at that point and as in large part became a *******ised version of their lowest common denominating instincts.

I now absolutely detest Hearts and there are very few Hearts supporters I know that I would even bother discussing football with now let alone our respective teams merits. I would get more sense talking to the dog.

There is not the slightest chance that I would give Hearts a penny by going to watch them now whereas 25 years or so ago I may have went with my Hearts supporting mates of the day, not to support them but just to watch a game.

Maybe it is societal as Resident Arab tells a similar tale of the Dundee rivalry.

I certainly don't think the comics that masquerade as newspapers these days or the internet have helped matters and have indeed fanned the flames as have it has to be said football pundits who are more interested in overplaying their own roles and importance than relating the tale of the games they have watched and the background information they have gleaned that supporters used to pour over.

It probably doesn't help either that some of the imbeciles that are modern day footballers get far more air time then their abilities or intelligence merits and serve only to stir things up further.
:agree::top marks

neil7908
01-12-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm in my early 30s and when my dad started taking me to watch Hibs in the early 90s he decided we should go to some Hearts games as well.

I honestly have no memory of watching them and had totally forgotten it but was looking through my programmes and found couple that jogged my memory.

It wasn't something that we did long term, maybe only half a season but I think he was trying to present some options (went to a couple of rugby games as well).

I think now with the tribalism in the game would make it hard but the cost is probably a bigger factor. £22 for a adult and £10 for a junior ticket so your paying over £30 just for the game, no extras like programmes or food. It's costly enough following one team!

Glory Lurker
01-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Looked at rationally, in an adult way, it is a shame that things have changed as much as they have, but I like the fact that I can get right behind the Hibs without bothering I might set off some jambo nearby, and -maybe more importantly - I can suffer when it goes wrong without it being rubbed in there-and-then. I have only ever known segregation, so maybe don't know what I'm missing, but I doubt I would have enjoyed derbies back in the day as I do now (if "enjoy" is the right word).

givescotlandfreedom
01-12-2016, 10:15 PM
I can't imagine going to Tynecastle for anything other than seeing Hibs. Often when I talk to Hearts fans I find a nasty, bigoted edge which lies under the surface and reveals itself before two long. There are one or two very decent exceptions but I mostly can't relate to them and find its a one way street with 'banter' they love to give out but can't take back. For all I know they could feel the same way as me but I usually don't talk football with them because I can't be bothered with the argument and don't care much for nearly all of them as individuals anyway so don't feel like it's worth the hassle. Maybe it isn't helped by their bragging and rewriting history about successes under Vlad which was achieved by doing things that go totally against most of my principles as a person.

son of haggart
01-12-2016, 10:39 PM

I don't have the time at present to reply properly., but to my mind it predated Mercer and was largely societal

a) Saturday morning working stopped and the tradition of everyone going to a game together from work faded with it
b) Clockwork Orange - suddenly we had the Gorgie Jungle, Mental Drylaw etc - huge gangs (several hundred) having large scale fights and encouraging all the younger people to march behind them. Previously you'd get drunken fights between individuals having a disagreement. Now it was planned warfare between two tribes
c) as a consequence no changing ends at half time, no intermingling on the terraces.

All this happened before Mercer. Much as I disliked Mercer you can't blame it all on him, to my mind the horse had bolted already.

snedzuk
01-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Remember going to a derby years ago in the death trap stand with a hearts mate. Hibs 2-0 down with 10 to go and joe mcbride jr scores. Mate turns to me and says "if you get an eke, ill be seek" - and we duly did courtesy of mr mcbride again

snedzuk
01-12-2016, 10:57 PM
I don't have the time at present to reply properly., but to my mind it predated Mercer and was largely societal

a) Saturday morning working stopped and the tradition of everyone going to a game together from work faded with it
b) Clockwork Orange - suddenly we had the Gorgie Jungle, Mental Drylaw etc - huge gangs (several hundred) having large scale fights and encouraging all the younger people to march behind them. Previously you'd get drunken fights between individuals having a disagreement. Now it was planned warfare between two tribes
c) as a consequence no changing ends at half time, no intermingling on the terraces.

All this happened before Mercer. Much as I disliked Mercer you can't blame it all on him, to my mind the horse had bolted already.

On the mingling topic at the 7-0 game i had loads of hearts fans say to me at half time they hoped we would go on and win the league.

fat freddy
01-12-2016, 10:59 PM
I go to tynie around 3 games most seasons, was there last night, my jambo mate always has a spare season ticket as his son rarely uses his one, i get regular invites but just go to the big games. My dad was a massive hibs fan but he done the alternate week thing in the 50's and 60's as it was the only way to see the players of that era. Plus the pubs shut between 2 and 5 so there was nothing else to do. Tyneastle doesnt bother me, i worked in the refreshment stall in the shed for a season in 1980 and used the cash i stole/earned to watch hibs the following week, when i was a kid id go to tynie whenever a big team were playing them in europe, ive seen hamburg, locomotive leipzeig, arsenal (starring Alex Cropley) and spurs amongst others, seems daft to miss these teams when theyre playing in our city. Do i hate them? Do i hate any sports team? Its a weird concept when you break it down and really think about it. We need teams to play against, it would be less of an experience if we didnt have a dislike of one another, but hate? I hate rangers, hate what they stand for, their fans sense of entitlement, thats the only team i hate and its hate based on moral grounds rather than sporting, the jambos though? I hate how they got away with bumping so many charities and traders but i have a lot of mates who support them and if a team are the fans, as many believe, do i hate my mates? Do i hate a large proportion of edinburgh citizens just because they like the same sport as me but prefer to support a team their fathers took them to see when they were kids? Probably not, but i can hate them for 90 minutes when we play them and i do hope tbey lose every game they play, except when they play rangers. I cant use common sense analysis to rid myself of the hate i have for rangers, they are a stain on scotland and are worthy of hate, it is a public duty to hate them, they are the club its ok to hate.

Greencore
01-12-2016, 11:05 PM
I'd watch Edinburgh city if hibs are not playing or too far away, just for something to do... hearts though... nah.

Sir David Gray
01-12-2016, 11:14 PM
As someone who started going to games in the mid 90s this concept is completely alien to me. I couldn't imagine ever going to Tynecastle unless Hibs were playing.

A couple of times a season is more than enough.

heretoday
01-12-2016, 11:22 PM
I go to tynie around 3 games most seasons, was there last night, my jambo mate always has a spare season ticket as his son rarely uses his one, i get regular invites but just go to the big games. My dad was a massive hibs fan but he done the alternate week thing in the 50's and 60's as it was the only way to see the players of that era. Plus the pubs shut between 2 and 5 so there was nothing else to do. Tyneastle doesnt bother me, i worked in the refreshment stall in the shed for a season in 1980 and used the cash i stole/earned to watch hibs the following week, when i was a kid id go to tynie whenever a big team were playing them in europe, ive seen hamburg, locomotive leipzeig, arsenal (starring Alex Cropley) and spurs amongst others, seems daft to miss these teams when theyre playing in our city. Do i hate them? Do i hate any sports team? Its a weird concept when you break it down and really think about it. We need teams to play against, it would be less of an experience if we didnt have a dislike of one another, but hate? I hate rangers, hate what they stand for, their fans sense of entitlement, thats the only team i hate and its hate based on moral grounds rather than sporting, the jambos though? I hate how they got away with bumping so many charities and traders but i have a lot of mates who support them and if a team are the fans, as many believe, do i hate my mates? Do i hate a large proportion of edinburgh citizens just because they like the same sport as me but prefer to support a team their fathers took them to see when they were kids? Probably not, but i can hate them for 90 minutes when we play them and i do hope tbey lose every game they play, except when they play rangers. I cant use common sense analysis to rid myself of the hate i have for rangers, they are a stain on scotland and are worthy of hate, it is a public duty to hate them, they are the club its ok to hate.
Admirable sentiments.

jgl07
01-12-2016, 11:53 PM
I have never been to Tynecastle for a match not involving Hibs.

I have been to matches at Meadowbank, Raith, Dunfermline, Livingston, East Fife, Cowdenbeath, Montrose, Partick, Clyde, Morton, Albion Rovers, and St Mirren when Hibs were not playing. Most of these were mid week or during the former SPL winter break.

When I was a teenager I would often attend matches at Old Trafford as well as Maine Road. I also was a regular at Edgeley Park when Stockport County played on Friday nights.

I had some friends who would follow Manchester City Reserves away from home, even missing some home First Team home games in the process.

snooky
02-12-2016, 01:05 AM
I remember very well my uncle Derek (a staunch Jambo) coming along to Easter Road to watch Hibs. I was a lad but remember the banter pre and post match between him and my dad and other uncles and grand dad. The pre-match ritual of dominoes and beer at a well known Easter Road pub set the scene and added to the excitement. I was restricted to coca cola by my dad, but my Uncle Derek gave me a sly wee shandy and introduced me to the man's world.

Such happy and innocent days, where fans could truly mingle on opened terracing.
I remember heading back down Easter Road for a pie supper at my grand parents - the top floor and only inhabited flat at 21 Bernard Street, Leith.
For a wee time way back in 1973/74 I got into the habit of watching Hibs one week and Hearts the next with my Jambo next door neighbour, Tam. I recall the 4-1 defeat of Hibs by Hearts- the first match at Tynie after the famous 7-0 and the delirium of not just my pal but the entire Jambo support - it was sweet revenge, so they thought, for the New Years day massacre.

Segregated seating and the social media have since invoked feelings of an us and them mentality and genuine hatred between both sets of supporters.

I find myself sighing at the changes I have witnessed in my lifetime. Maybe age (59 now) imbues a sense of nostalgia for "happier days"
The fact is that they were not always happier days. When I think of Rangers coming to visit in the early 70's my memories are of experiencing fear, anxiety and genuine hatred and bile from the Glasgow hordes - of stabbings and of rampaging fans on Easter Road.
I remember that game well. We got off lightly as it could have been 8 or 9.
We had Venus de Milo in goals that day (Roddie McKenzie).
Surprisingly, the team line up was only a couple of players different from THE Tornados one.

BSEJVT
02-12-2016, 04:51 AM

Thanks for your reply

The passage of time dulls memory but I cant recall feeling any great antipathy to Hearts pre -Mercer, but it is interesting to hear your take.

Sure you were our rivals but as far as I recall and am concerned it was no more than that until that point.

I am interested in your viewpoint as to whether your successive owners and their puppets fuelled the flames.

I am sure that they did and deliberately so.

Anderton's time at Tynecastle was childish and pathetic and I would categorise those respective ownership periods I referred to as being completely classless on Hearts part.

I am pleased that under Budge relations at board level at least seem far more cordial and professional, whether we like or not, our interests broadly align to a certain point off the park and having a strong Hibs & Hearts presence co-operating on issues of mutual interest with others in Scottish Football's is our best chance of reigning in the SFA& SPFL's inherent old firm bias.

Bill Milne
02-12-2016, 07:58 AM
I remember going to Tynie up to the late 70s if we were not playing at the time. Probably my daftest moment was when a Dundee-Hibs Cup replay at Dens in 1974 was cancelled and I got the BR special to Ayr for a Hertz replay. What I didn't realise coming back was my Hibs scarf was hanging out of my pocket!! Fortunately, a Yam who stayed in my stair at the time tipped me off and disaster was averted.

AndyM_1875
02-12-2016, 08:18 AM

It does predate Mercer. I'm sure I've seen a youtube clip of Hibs and Hearts fans knocking lumps off each other on the Tynecastle terraces at the end of a game in the late 70s. My late father went to ER and Tynecastle week about as a young man (his dad was a Leith Athletic man but they'd stopped playing in the 40s) and its interesting hearing it was common practise in Dundee too.
Don't think it transferred to Glasgow though. Mind you my extended Glaswegian family supported Clyde or Queens Park and were mercifully free of the Old Firm's toxicity. :wink:

Forza Fred
02-12-2016, 08:37 AM
I would have been a regular at Easter Road since the early 60's and if a one week at ER, next week at Tynecastle culture existed then I never knew about it.

If one didn't go to a Hibs away game, then the reserve game at ER was the destination of many, and I remember many games where we were focussed on the phone call to the guy in the entire stand who would pass on the first team full time score to those hanging about.

The only time I went to Tynecastle was in the hope that Hearts would get grubbed, and that was very infrequently.

I was aware though where I worked that several Jambo fans, or Jam Tarts as they were then known, would attend ER to watch thecTurnbull's Tornadoes, because the football was superb.

But, the rivalry and hostility were evident in all my time supporting Hibs.