PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Danny Swanson

SteveHFC
30-11-2016, 10:02 PM
HIBS are set to move for St Johnstone star man Danny Swanson.
The 29-year-old’s deal ends next summer and he is free to sign a pre-contract this month.

Hibs manager Neil Lennon wants to sign the forward on a pre-contractRotherham were interested in taking the former Peterborough attacker back to England but boss Kenny Jackett’s shock exit ended that.
Ideally, Hibs boss Neil Lennon would like to take the former Hearts and Dundee United man, who has scored 11 goal this season, in January to spearhead his team’s bid for promotion from the Championship.
But Saints, who are in talks with Swanson about extending his deal, are unlikely to let him move so soon.

However, they will be powerless to stop him signing for another club.
As a lifelong Hibs fan, moving to his boyhood heroes would appeal to Swanson.
He is in his second spell at McDiarmid Park, having joined on loan from Coventry before returning in February after an unhappy Hearts stint.
He has been Saints’ standout player this season and recently admitted he is in the best form of his life.

Danny Swanson could be set for a move away from Perth. So losing him at the end of the season — or before — would be a huge blow to the McDiarmid Park side.
Meanwhile, Hibs are also weighing up a surprise move for ex-Juventus midfielder Fausto Rossi, 25.
The Serie A giants signed him for £1.5m from Vicenza in 2012, but he never made an appearance for the first team and has been released.

S4uzee
30-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Yes from me

Bishop Hibee
30-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Hmmmmm. Seemed to profess love for the yams after signing for them. Different to what we have certainly.

blaikie
30-11-2016, 10:05 PM
If we can't keep Shinnie then Swanson could be the answer.

Brightside
30-11-2016, 10:06 PM
he looks about 2 stone over weight

Pretty Boy
30-11-2016, 10:07 PM
'Lifelong Hibs fan'? Not what he said not so long ago.

Anyway decent player and would be an interesting option to have

gaz1875
30-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Every time I have seen him on the highlights show I wish he was playing for us in his current form. His career has been a bit up and down but definitely on the up just now.

HoboHarry
30-11-2016, 10:09 PM
So did Conrad Logan, Ally Mcleod, Joe Harper and countless others......

HibsNutter
30-11-2016, 10:09 PM
If we're going up, I see no reason why we can't have him and Shinnie as options, or someone of similar ability to Shinnie if we can't keep him. When we go up we'll need to maintain the same ambition we have shown in terms of recruitment in the Championship. And this means building a stronger squad in the Premier League.

hibbysam
30-11-2016, 10:12 PM

I work beside his brother, both huge hibs fans, and also very good friends with Darren McGregor

ACLeith
30-11-2016, 10:12 PM

When he played for United and they didn't have a game he often sat in the west lower just behind us with his ex-school mates

Heisenberg
30-11-2016, 10:15 PM
He was clearly at it when declaring he was a Jambo. Hibs through and through.

G B Young
30-11-2016, 10:19 PM

Born and bred Hibs fan, no question. His dad's a season ticket holder and I think he runs a pub near ER. Swanson made a bit of a play about his mum's side of the family being Jambos when he joined Hearts but the main reason he went there was to work with Potter again, having done well under him at the Arabs. Potter brought him to Tannadice from Berwick and rated him hugely but things clearly never worked out second time around and he'll have filed that move to Hearts under 'Daft decisions.'

northstandhibby
30-11-2016, 10:34 PM
I've always thought we might sign danny swanson one day. Hope this goes through as he's still got a few good years in him and the older he's got the better his game has become.

:agree:

Michael
30-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Ah, the annual Danny Swanson thread!

Not convinced he's much better than what we have to be honest, but could be useful.

Billy Whizz
30-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Ah, the annual Danny Sawnson thread!

Not convinced he's much better than what we have to be honest, but could be useful.

How many wide players do we have?

son of haggart
30-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Played pretty rubbish for us - dominated the games against us after he left. I think he's definitely not Hearts man. Quality player but seems to need the set up to be right and a team to be built around him

Michael
30-11-2016, 11:14 PM
How many wide players do we have?

I don't think he's a naturally wide player.More of a Keatings/Shinnie type I think?

magpie1892
30-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Born and bred Hibs fan, no question. His dad's a season ticket holder and I think he runs a pub near ER. Swanson made a bit of a play about his mum's side of the family being Jambos when he joined Hearts but the main reason he went there was to work with Potter again, having done well under him at the Arabs. Potter brought him to Tannadice from Berwick and rated him hugely but things clearly never worked out second time around and he'll have filed that move to Hearts under 'Daft decisions.'

DS is 100% Hibs. I know his old man who owns a pub in Lochend. Danny's uncle, also a Hibby, owns the intriguingly-entitled 'Swanny's' boozer on N. Junction St.

MyJo
30-11-2016, 11:16 PM

The problem is what we have is a really injury prone mcgeoch, McGinn out of action for 3 or 4 months, Shinnie only on loan until January, Bartley is good defensively but not going forward, Harris isn't up to scratch and Boyle is doing better as a striker.

When the choice is recalling Stanton or signing Swanson he is going to be a lot better than what we have come January.

Anyway signing players because they are Hibs fans always works out for the best :wink:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68232000/jpg/_68232575_leigh_griffiths.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02886/10_198_144_37Mcgr_2886389ap.jpg

Billy Whizz
30-11-2016, 11:20 PM
I don't think he's a naturally wide player.More of a Keatings/Shinnie type I think?

I doubt we'd be signing players in positions we already have. Made his name as a wide player at United, who was able to deliver a quality ball into the box, which we sadly lack at times
Means we may revert back to 442, sometimes

oneone73
30-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Anyway signing players because they are Hibs fans always works

Colin Nish.

GreenOnions
30-11-2016, 11:22 PM
The problem is what we have is a really injury prone mcgeoch, McGinn out of action for 3 or 4 months, Shinnie only on loan until January, Bartley is good defensively but not going forward, Harris isn't up to scratch and Boyle is doing better as a striker.

When the choice is recalling Stanton or signing Swanson he is going to be a lot better than what we have come January.

Anyway signing players because they are Hibs fans always works out for the best :wink:

Sold! :greengrin

FitbaFolkKen
30-11-2016, 11:30 PM
So did Conrad Logan, Ally Mcleod, Joe Harper and countless others......

So did Eduardo Hurtado

Centre Hawf
30-11-2016, 11:42 PM
It's a yes from me, always thought he was a decent player but his weight/fitness could be questioned but if he can drag his form from St Johnstone to Easter Road there is no reason he can't have a decent career here. Also if we don't keep Shinnie and have injury problems then this would definitely go a long way to fixing the problem.

MyJo
30-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Colin Nish.

shhhhhhhh your spoiling the thread :greengrin

hibsbollah
30-11-2016, 11:52 PM
Ive always liked him. Would be a great signing.

Diclonius
01-12-2016, 12:09 AM
Colin Nish.

Considering players like Agogo, O'Donovan, Vine and Collins followed him, I'd say Nish was all right. We finished in the top 6 in 3 of his 4 seasons.

J-C
01-12-2016, 12:21 AM

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68232000/jpg/_68232575_leigh_griffiths.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02886/10_198_144_37Mcgr_2886389ap.jpg

Shinnie signed on a season long loan, not till January.

snooky
01-12-2016, 12:32 AM
29 years old? If he signs will it be his Swansong?

ekhibee
01-12-2016, 01:53 AM
Did his old man not used to run the Loch Inn? Either way, he's definitely a Hibs fan, I remember him talking about it in an interview when he was at DU just before they played us at ER (and beat us). I think he might have scored in that game too.

jodjam
01-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Did his old man not used to run the Loch Inn? Either way, he's definitely a Hibs fan, I remember him talking about it in an interview when he was at DU just before they played us at ER (and beat us). I think he might have scored in that game too.

Is it not Swannys pub he runs?

bingo70
01-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Is it not Swannys pub he runs?

He had both, gladstones as well I think.

Shrekko
01-12-2016, 09:19 AM
To be fair to Swanson I think he just said he had family that were Jambos when he signed for them. Think he was worried about a fan backlash as he's been pretty clear in the past about who he supports.

number9dream
01-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Why is everyone banging on about Swanson when the newspaper story also has us linked with an Italian glamour boy midfielder from Juventus???

Have we ever had an Italian player before? And don't say Super Joe T...

O'Rourke3
01-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Why is everyone banging on about Swanson when the newspaper story also has us linked with an Italian glamour boy midfielder from Juventus???

Does Joe Baker count?

Sent via the bushes @ EM

worcesterhibby
01-12-2016, 10:04 AM

A bit of an exaggeration, but to be honest I tend to think that Hibs players are the fittest they have ever been in the club history. East mains has a new vibe and Lennon will not allow players to let themselves down fitness wise. If swanson did sign he'd be knocked into shape pretty quickly I imagine.

CupidStunt1875
01-12-2016, 10:06 AM
The kind of flair player who would thrive with Hibs, especially in this god forsaken division. I think he would be a magnificent signing.

xyz23jc
01-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Antonio Murray? :dunno:

hibs0666
01-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Antonio Murray? :dunno:

That's all the excuse I need to roll out one of my favourite Hibs vids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aFmJPsP3I

:flag:

xyz23jc
01-12-2016, 10:26 AM

You need an excuse? :greengrin:thumbsup: Incidently, did I just see the Malian Magician in that video? :greengrin

erin go bragh
01-12-2016, 10:32 AM

11 goals already this season . He's just big boned :)
It's yes , yes from me .

wookie70
01-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Not seen that one before. It would be rude not to click on the Bobby Ball lookalike scoring two against our neighbours link on the side. Forgot that Hearts did pitch invasions when they lost trophies.

Johnny_Leith
01-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Yes please, good player who would improve the squad and Hibs through and through

snooky
01-12-2016, 11:01 AM
:singing: "Swan-ee how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Swan-ee"

Fife-Hibee
01-12-2016, 11:05 AM

One of my fav games the atmosphere was amazing :-))

Nicho87
01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Says to me harris is done. Winger who can create and score. Imo should have been signed 5 years ago.

Lago
01-12-2016, 12:38 PM

Think that boat sailed a couple of seasons ago.

My_Wife_Camille
01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Swanson is playing the best football of his career right now. He's never managed more than 6 goals in a season before but he's got 11 this season already. Would be a great signing.

Could be our version of Paul Hartley. A late developer who crosses the City via St Johnstone and becomes a legend then becomes a fat Dundee manager

Mr White
01-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Not seen that one before. It would be rude not to click on the Bobby Ball lookalike scoring two against our neighbours link on the side. Forgot that Hearts did pitch invasions when they lost trophies.

"These hearts supporters, utterly bemused by the happenings of this afternoon."

Not just Albert Kidd's finest moment, Archie McPherson's too.

worcesterhibby
01-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Could be our version of Paul Hartley. A late developer who crosses the City via St Johnstone and becomes a legend then becomes a fat Dundee manager

:greengrin:agree::agree::greengrin

California-Hibs
01-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Swanson is playing the best football of his career right now. He's never managed more than 6 goals in a season before but he's got 11 this season already. Would be a great signing.

Liked this! 😂

Spike Mandela
01-12-2016, 02:46 PM
You need an excuse? :greengrin:thumbsup: Incidently, did I just see the Malian Magician in that video? :greengrin

You can also see, errrmm....ME.

Canon Hannan
01-12-2016, 03:46 PM
I have watched a lot of Saints this season due to my son and he is the best player they have by a mile!

hibees 7062
01-12-2016, 03:54 PM
I have watched a lot of Saints this season due to my son and he is the best player they have by a mile!

:agree: Streets ahead

HibbyAndy
01-12-2016, 04:06 PM
No thanks

JDHibs
01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
11 goals this season in the league above...

That would make him our top scorer...yet people are saying no? Really?

Would be our most creative outlet by a mile and a goalscoring threat from wide/midfielder which we have lacked for years.

The mind boggles.

California-Hibs
01-12-2016, 04:20 PM
11 goals this season in the league above...

That would make him our top scorer...yet people are saying no? Really?

Would be our most creative outlet by a mile and a goalscoring threat from wide/midfielder which we have lacked for years.

The mind boggles.

100% this.

hibees 7062
01-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Deal was done before he went to Peterborough then Rod got involved and that was that :agree:

Wilson
01-12-2016, 04:32 PM

Of course, that is only high praise if the rest of their players are any good...

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2016, 04:45 PM
100% this.

Can't see the point of Hibs signing a midfielder who is in the form of his life, has scored 11 goals already from that position in the division above ours, and is also a Hibs fan.

Forget it.

hibees 7062
01-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Can't see the point of Hibs signing a midfielder who is in the form of his life, has scored 11 goals already from that position in the division above ours, and is also a Hibs fan.

Forget it.

:greengrin

BSEJVT
01-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Remind anyone of the Liam Craig signing?

Joking apart Hibs Managers over very recent years have far better records than I do of picking the right players to sign so if Lennon wants him I am good with that.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
What's all this baloney on here? just get him signed up, he'll do a great job for us.

LustForLeith
01-12-2016, 05:33 PM
I've got a lot of time for Danny. Met him a few times and he's a decent lad. I'm sure he was born with a heart murmar and he didn't let it stop him from wanting to be a footballer nor the fact that he was often told he was too small to make it. Also took his time turning pro so he could get his plumbing apprenticeship.

Great signing if it happens.

Wilson
01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
What's all this baloney on here? just get him signed up, he'll do a great job for us.

A lot of baloney also comes from those in favour if his signing.

I would expect a full strength hibs side to beat St. Johnstone. Therefore, just because he stands out above his mediocre team mates and is in the division above doesn't guarantee he'd be a good signing.

However, I would take Lennon's signing record over the hopeful fawning over 'one of our own'. If Lennon thinks it will work then that should be good enough for any of us.

Lago
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM

No but we did have Jimmy Bokoo

HibbyAndy
01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
This the die hard hibs fan that when signing for Hearts made plenty noises about his mums side of the family being Jambos ?

Nah no for me

CapitalGreen
01-12-2016, 08:36 PM
This the die hard hibs fan that when signing for Hearts made plenty noises about his mums side of the family being Jambos ?

Nah no for me

Get over it.

Our top goal scorer and Scottish cup winning striker gave it the 5-1 at Tynie before signing for Hibs. I'm in no doubt Swanson would give 100% for Hibs if he signed.

HibsNutter
01-12-2016, 08:38 PM

Nah no for me

The ONLY thing that matters is his ability to perform for Hibs. By the looks of things he is in the form of his life and has been one of the outstanding individual performers in the PL so I would take him.

Dashing Bob S
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
A lot of baloney also comes from those in favour if his signing.

I would expect a full strength hibs side to beat St. Johnstone. Therefore, just because he stands out above his mediocre team mates and is in the division above doesn't guarantee he'd be a good signing.

However, I would take Lennon's signing record over the hopeful fawning over 'one of our own'. If Lennon thinks it will work then that should be good enough for any of us.

Not being cheeky but this is a very silly post. He's scoring against better opposition than our midfielders are playing against. And if he's doing it with the support of colleagues who are inferior to our players, surely he'll do ever better here?

Pretty Boy
01-12-2016, 08:45 PM

Best celebration at Tynecastle until Paul Hanlon stepped up (or slipped over) last season.

Utter bedlam when that went in.

Dunbar Hibee
01-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Not being cheeky but this is a very silly post. He's scoring against better opposition than our midfielders are playing against. And if he's doing it with the support of colleagues who are inferior to our players, surely he'll do ever better here?

Agreed.

Hope this happens, in great form and would be a great addition in the top league next season.

IWasThere2016
02-12-2016, 12:29 AM
There is something in this.

Danny is a Hibby - spoke to him in person re this.

California-Hibs
02-12-2016, 01:36 AM

Spoke to him in person regarding being a Hibee or spoke to him in person regarding SIGNING for the Hibees?

Tyler Durden
02-12-2016, 07:12 AM

Lennon quoted in the Scotsman today saying nothing in this story and we've made no contact with The Super Js.

Of course just cos he says this now, things may change in January...

hibsbollah
02-12-2016, 07:39 AM

Nah no for me

Its exactly what I would do in his place :dunno: He emphasised the fact he had jambo family because he was signing for them, he didn't ever deny being a Hibby. What was he supposed to do, do a GIRUY and sing the Mercer song?

JimBHibees
02-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Lennon quoted in the Scotsman today saying nothing in this story and we've made no contact with The Super Js.

Of course just cos he says this now, things may change in January...

I see Kenny Millar of the sun seems to be saying we are interested despite what we are saying.

emerald green
02-12-2016, 11:57 AM
I wonder what the St Johnstone manager (Tommy Wright) has to say about the speculation about his club's player?

Neil Lennon quoted in today's Scotsman:

"I don't know where the Swanson story's come from. It's just come out of the blue. If I was going to make contact, the first person I'd call would be Tommy Wright. There's been no contact there."

cleanyman
02-12-2016, 12:08 PM
I hope we don't

He is having a good season but this is a player who has been plagued with injuries his entire career. St.Johnstone is a good club for him.

IWasThere2016
02-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Spoke to him in person regarding being a Hibee or spoke to him in person regarding SIGNING for the Hibees?

Being a Hibby.

IWasThere2016
02-12-2016, 01:26 PM
I wonder what the St Johnstone manager (Tommy Wright) has to say about the speculation about his club's player?

Neil Lennon quoted in today's Scotsman:

"I don't know where the Swanson story's come from. It's just come out of the blue. If I was going to make contact, the first person I'd call would be Tommy Wright. There's been no contact there."

Wright's hopes DS stays but he is aware of interest from elsewhere :wink: